Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
cfrs15 #652946 02/10/12 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Umenyiora is under contract and the Giants have not been willing to A) Lower their asking price and B) Cut him. It seems as though he will be a Giant again next season. He will also be 31-years-old during the 2012 season. Not exactly the type of player a rebuilding team wants to give big money to or give up picks for.

I've heard they are thinking of letting him go, or at least that's been part of the NYC Sports Radio talk.

But I'm more interested in Avril than Osi, because of the age and injuries. After the superbowl, his perceptive value might be a little........ over priced.

26 years old, RDE. Should continue to improve. Avril could be a good option.

I'm just huge on the thought of Taylor, Rubin, Sheard, and some other good DE as our D-Line. It'll have a huge impact

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
If we got a guy like Osi, I don't think that would trade our draft strategy as it relates to DE at all...

I think he'd be a good guy to teach a rookie and Sheard some tips he may know, If he's that kind of guy I don't know, I assume Strahan did it for him and Tuck...

A DE Rotation of Sheard, Bernard, Osi, and say Mercilus..? I'd be fine with that.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I'm just huge on the thought of Taylor, Rubin, Sheard, and some other good DE as our D-Line. It'll have a huge impact

I think everyone agrees with that.

I'm just saying that players like Umneyiora, John Abraham, and Robert Mathis don't really make sense because we are rebuilding and they are too old.

cfrs15 #652949 02/10/12 01:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think everyone agrees with that.

I'm just saying that players like Umneyiora, John Abraham, and Robert Mathis don't really make sense because we are rebuilding and they are too old.

It's not like they'd be one and done here...

Unless you have the thought process that we're "rebuilding" for the next 3-4 years, because if that the case, H&H&S would be gone by then anyways...

I think people are getting to hung up on the "rebuilding" aspect. We started the rebuild 2 years ago... When we got rid of Mangini and changed systems...

Last year was year 1, This is year 2, in todays NFL, if you're not competeing by year 3-4 then you're not doing it right.

I expect around 8-8 this coming season, based on the fact that we SH/COUILD of been at least 8-8 this year (we also could of been like 2-14 I know..)

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #652950 02/10/12 01:47 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Part of rebuilding is getting guys that will be around for the long term and will be good for the long term. Signing aging players to big contracts doesn't make sense.

Also, aging players usually like to go to a team that has a chance at winning immediately. Unfortunately we are not a team that falls under that category.

Last edited by cfrs15; 02/10/12 01:49 PM.
cfrs15 #652951 02/10/12 01:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Part of rebuilding is getting guys that will be around for the long term and will be good for the long term. Signing aging players to big contracts doesn't make sense.

Everyone is aging.

John Abraham is good. John Abraham could be good for seemingly 2-4 more years.

If we're not competing in 2-4 years, then what's the point?

Getting players that are good NOW, expedites the "rebuilding" process.

(Note: If we can't get Mario, then I'm all for drafting a DE, I'd still like to know that the FO is even thinking about bringing in people that we already know are talented)

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

However ....Sheard played much, much better when he switched sides. Would a guy like Williams help us if Sheard wound up having to be replaced as a starter because he wasn't anywhere near as effective on the other side?

Not responding directly to your post but throwing this out there for clarification because I was confused myself.

According to Pro Football Reference Mario Williams played RDE his whole career up until last season, when he played OLB in a 3-4 defense.

ThatGuy #652953 02/10/12 02:07 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

(Note: If we can't get Mario, then I'm all for drafting a DE, I'd still like to know that the FO is even thinking about bringing in people that we already know are talented)

Just a few questions not trying to be a smart alec, do you expect us to sign Mario Williams? Do you think he will want to play for the Cleveland Browns? Is he worth the money it will take to sign him? If we don't sign him will our front office be viewed as incompetent?

Obviously I would love to have a player like Mario Williams. But I think there is about a 1% chance we actually sign him. I also think that if we don't sign him there will be people on this board with torches and pitchforks ready to fire everyone because we didn't sign him.

I understand the people who want to sign Mario Williams. I don't understand the people who think we have a realistic shot a signing him. And if we don't sign him they will be upset because our front office didn't try hard enough. Williams has a say in where he goes as well. This is not a video game. (These are the same people that were mad that we didn't re-sign Eric Wright, even though we offered him a better contract and he chose to go elsewhere.)

Our only chance to sign Williams is if we offer him more money than anyone else and he doesn't care where he plays.

cfrs15 #652954 02/10/12 02:41 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Top 50 free agents: Former top pick Williams is top player on open market

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

My rule when ranking NFL free agents: Nobody age 30 or over in the top 10 -- unless you are a quarterback.

You can be 30 and a star, and you won't be atop my list. I just can't see the rationale in spending big money on a 30-or-older player when it's almost a certainty that the player won't be playing at a high level for the duration of the contract.

The target age is 26 or 27.

Those players are reaching their primes. Their best football is to come. And, most importantly, they should play well to the end of their free-agent contracts.

It's bang for the buck.

As you scan my list of the top 50 free agents for 2012, you also won't see players that I fully expect to see get the franchise tag. That means players like New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, Chicago running back Matt Forte and Arizona defensive end Calais Campbell. There will be other players who get the franchise tag, but for now we'll just leave out those three.

One player I don't expect to get the tag is Houston defensive end/outside linebacker Mario Williams. If the Texans were to tag him, his franchise number would be $22 million. That's way too much for a cap-strapped team.

The Texans played without him for much of the season in 2011 and made the playoffs with emerging outside rushers in Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed. I would expect Williams would check out the market before re-signing with the Texans.

If he hits the market, I would expect him to become the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL. Williams just turned 27 in January and he has 53 career sacks in 5 1/2 seasons.

He's the No. 1 guy for this season -- even if/when when Peyton Manning hits the market, unless Manning can prove he can throw with the same zip.

One more thing: No backs in the top 10. I just wouldn't pay any of them --- no matter who they are. The value isn't there in a passing league.

1. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans: The Texans used him as a 3-4 rush outside linebacker last year, but I think his best spot is as a 4-3 end.

2. Brandon Carr, CB, Kansas City Chiefs: How often do good man-cover players in their primes hit the market? This kid is about to get paid. He is this high because he plays a premium position well. He turns 26 in May.

3. Carl Nicks, G, New Orleans Saints: I consider him to be the best guard in the NFL. He is a nasty player who can block for the run or the pass. He turns 27 in May.

4. Cliff Avril, DE, Detroit Lions: He has 19 1/2 sacks the past two seasons, including 11 last season. He has developed into a top pass rusher. He turns 26 in April, which makes him even more valuable.

5. DeSean Jackson, WR, Philadelphia Eagles: The ability should get him a huge contract. But the attitude might cut that down some. Even so, this kid is a game-changer. Those guys don't hit the market all the time. He turns 26 in December.

6. Jermichael Finley, TE, Green Bay Packers: He didn't quite have the season many expected in 2011 (55 catches), but he is still a heck of an athlete who can do a ton of things for a tight end. He turns 25 in March.

7. Vincent Jackson, WR, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers want him back, but at what cost? The indication is that the team won't tag him. He turned 29 in January.

8. Brent Grimes, CB, Atlanta Falcons: He is a feisty corner who can play man or zone. He is small, but he has great athletic ability. The Falcons missed him late when he was injured. He turns 29 in August.

9. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs want him back in the worst way, but at what price? He is their top target in the passing game, but do they tag him? He turns 28 in September.

10. Red Bryant, DT, Seattle Seahawks: He had eight starts in his first three seasons, but started 16 in 2011 and was a force on the Seattle defense. He is a perfect 3-4 end, which is where he played last season. He is this year's Ray McDonald. He turns 28 in April.

11. Ray Rice, RB, Baltimore Ravens: He is a big part of what the Ravens do, and there is a chance he could get franchised. But that's not a definite. He just turned 25 in January.

12. Robert Mathis, DE, Indianapolis Colts: He is coming off his best season but turns 31 this month and is older than some teams would like for free agents. He has improved against the run and could easily make the transition from 4-3 end to 3-4 rush 'backer.

13. Steve Johnson, WR, Buffalo Bills: There has already been some outrageous numbers bandied about for Johnson. The Bills want him back, but the price could get high. He is a franchise tag possibility. He turns 26 in July.

14. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Tennessee Titans: He just turned 28 this month and will be a hot commodity on the open market. It doesn't appear he's coming back to Tennessee. The Lions would seem to be a team that will make a push.

15. Carlos Rogers, CB, San Francisco 49ers: He is the player who will benefit most from signing a one-year deal. He will cash in big after a good 2011 season for the 49ers. He isn't young, turning 31 in July.

16. Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints: The question with Colston is whether he would be as good in another system. I say yes, but he isn't a burner. He turns 29 in June.

17. Tyvon Branch, S, Oakland Raiders: Branch led the Raiders in tackles and should have been in the Pro Bowl. He has improved in coverage as well. He turns 26 in December.

18. Wes Welker, WR, New England Patriots: He led the league in catches, but is he a No. 1 receiver in any other system? The other issue is age. He turns 31 in June.

19. Dashon Goldson, S, San Francisco 49ers: He is coming off his most complete season. He has always been a good run defender, but improved against the pass this season with six picks. He seemed leaner and faster. He turns 28 in September.

20. Tracy Porter, CB, New Orleans Saints: He is a good, solid starting corner, and those guys get paid. The Saints probably won't be able to keep him. He turns 26 in August.

21. Jeremy Mincey, DE, Jacksonville Jaguars: This is a try-hard player who did some good things against some good tackles last season. He isn't a speed player, but he is a solid 10-sack, good-run player. He turns 29 in December.

22. Chris Myers. C, Houston Texans: He was one of the better centers in the NFL last season, a perfect player for their cutback schemes. He turns 31 in September.

23. Jared Gaither, T, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers added him late when Marcus McNeil went down and he played well down the stretch. He has ability, which he showed when he was a starter for the Ravens before back troubles slowed his career. He turns 26 in March.

24. Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Denver Broncos: He is coming off his best season, the timing of it coming perfectly in the final year of his deal. He turns 29 in November.

25. Anthony Spencer, OLB, Dallas Cowboys: In a league desperate for pass-rush help, he will get action on the market, even though his six-sack total was a disappointment last season. He just turned 28 in January.

26. Curtis Lofton LB, Atlanta Falcons: He's a plug linebacker who had a tendency to get lost in pass coverage at times. He's good against the run but with it being a passing league, is the value there? He turns 26 in June.

27. Aaron Ross, CB, New York Giants: He's been a decent starting corner for two Super Bowl teams. That means something. He's a good second corner. He turns 30 in September.

28. John Abraham, DE, Atlanta Falcons: He had 9 1/2 sacks for the Falcons in 2011 and played better late when he was entirely healthy. But he turns 34 in May. He will be hard-pressed to get a big contract because of that.

29. Ben Grubbs, G, Baltimore Ravens: He missed six games with a toe injury this season, but started 48 straight from 2008-10. He is the other guard on the Ravens line to Marshall Yanda, but he's still a good player. He turns 28 in March.

30. Alex Smith, QB, San Francisco: He seems like he's been around forever, but he's only 27 and turns 28 in May. He is coming off his best season with 17 touchdown passes and five interceptions. The 49ers want him back, but there's no way they franchise tag him.

31. Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts: The question with Wayne is how many more years he has left to give. He can still be good for three or so, but how do you structure the contract? He turns 34 in November.

32. Demetrius Bell, T, Buffalo Bills: After starting 16 games in 2010, he had just six starts in 2011 because of knee issues. He turns 28 in May, which means his best football is in front of him.

33. D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Cleveland Browns: After missing all of 2010 with a torn pectoral, he bounced back to start all 16 games last season and played at a Pro Bowl level. He turns 29 in September.

34. Pierre Garcon, WR, Indianapolis Colts: He caught a career-high 70 passes last season without good quarterback play. He can fly, which will make him attractive to other teams. He turns 26 in August.

35. Matt Flynn, QB, Green Bay Packers: How good is he? Does anybody really know? Is he Rob Johnson or Matt Schaub? The team that signs him better hope he's the latter. He turns 27 in June.

36. Scott Wells, C, Green Bay Packers: He is the anchor of the Green Bay line and played well this season. He is a tough guy who battles. He just turned 31 in January.

37. Stephen Tulloch, MLB, Detroit Lions: On a one-year deal, he had 111 tackles and two picks for the Lions. He just turned 27, so age isn't an issue. He's a steady player.

38. Jason Jones, DT-DE, Tennessee Titans: He has flashed at times in his four seasons with the Titans, but he should be doing more. Has played both inside and outside for the Titans. He turns 26 in May, so he has time to become a really good player.

39. Sione Pouha, NT, New York Jets: He's had more than 50 tackles each of the past two seasons on the nose for the Jets. That's impressive. But he just turned 33, which is a concern.

40. Dwight Lowery, D, Jacksonville Jaguars: This former corner made a nice home at free safety for the Jaguars last season. He played above the level of expectations. The Jaguars want him back, but in a league where safety talent is at a minimum this former Jets player will get a nice deal. He just turned 26 in January.

41. Evan Mathis, G, Philadelphia Eagles: Mathis signed a one-year deal with the Eagles and played well. That could earn him a nice multiyear contract. He turns 31 in November.

42. Marshawn Lynch, RB, Seattle Seahawks: He has rejuvenated his career in Seattle after being a disappointment in Buffalo in his last two seasons. He ran for 1,204 yards last season for the Seahawks and he only turns 26 in March.

43. Reggie Nelson, S, Cincinnati Bengals: He was a disappointment in Jacksonville, but has turned his career around with the Bengals. He's a rangy safety who has improved his tackling. He turns 29 in September.

44. Jarrett Johnson, OLB, Baltimore Ravens: He's one of the underrated players on the Ravens defense. He isn't as flashy as some, but he gets the job done. He does turn 31 in August.

45. Robert Meachem, WR, New Orleans Saints: He's never caught more than 45 passes in a season but has the speed teams love. He does have 20 touchdown catches in the past three seasons. He turns 28 in September.

46. Michael Griffin, S, Tennessee Titans: His play has tailed off some this past season, but he's only 27. When he's at his best, he is a good, solid player. He's never been as good as his reputation.

47. Jerome Simpson, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: He is a receiver who can fly. That would make him a hot commodity, but he has a legal issue hanging over his head. He just turned 26 earlier this month.

48. Paul Soliai, DT, Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins franchised him last year and he played for that tag. It won't happen again. But he is a solid player who will get play on the market. He turns 29 in December.

49. Mario Manningham, WR, New York Giants: The Super Bowl hero is a good player, but is he a No. 2 receiver. And how much will he cost? Did the Super Bowl make the price come up? He turns 26 in May.

50. Pat Sims DT, Cincinnati Bengals: He has started 23 games in four seasons for the Bengals. He is mostly an anchor inside against the run. He won't bring a lot of pass rush. He turns 27 in November.

Brownoholic #652955 02/10/12 03:02 PM
Legend
Legend
The thoughts of being crazy active and getting several of the Top 10 guys makes me giddy, even though I realize that there is nearly zero chance of it happening.

But.... imagine us reeling in Brandon Carr, Carl Nicks, either Avril or Mario and Dwayne Bowe.

Then, we could focus on LB, RT & WR early (our first three or four picks) in the draft and be completely free to take BPA at every other pick.

That'd be a scary-powerful transformation for us... some serious (younger) veteran power to add to a very young core.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Please stop trying to move Sheard to RDE and he played LDE in College for the most part. It's not going to happen.

LDE is locked down ... Now let's go find a RDE to complete our front 4.

I thought I read an article from training camp saying he was having to get used to playing the LDE position because the footwork and steps were totally different. That's why I assumed that he played mostly RDE in college.

Fair enough though, I honestly don't know enough about the differences between LDE and RDE, I mean, could Mario Williams come in and play RDE? I know usually you want that to be your fastest guy, but Williams with his rip and bull rush moves could probably still make it happen, no?

Ah, I see your confusion,

Actually, I did not like what I saw of Sheard in preseason at RDE and even advocated moving him back to his College position of LDE where he played most of the time except when injuries dictated differently.

He himself admitted that he felt more at home on the strong side and I think it showed on the field, that the position is more natural to him.

And I know Williams can probably play both and IIRC he was on the weak side in Houston's (new) 34 defense.

It's probably a pipe dream to think we will land such a highly thought of talent, but it's nice to think of the possibilities, if only for a moment.

[Linked Image]

Brownoholic #652957 02/10/12 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Players on this FA list I like: Mario Williams, Desean Jackson, Cliff Avril, John Abraham (think he has 3-4 good years left), Aaron Ross, Dwayne Bowe, Ray Rice, Wes Welker, Robert Meachem, Pierre Garcon, Steve Johnson.

Of course, a lot of these guys won't make FA and many will be too expensive to make it worth it

FL_Dawg #652958 02/10/12 03:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we dump steiny we should be around 30 mil under.

Legend
Legend
Of the list Brownoholic posted, I would imagine we will get at least one (our own D'Qwell Jackson) and maybe one of the others in the 26-50 range.

Remember, of those 50 free agents listed, most of the 32 teams will be trying to keep their guy AND add someone else from the list too.

It's too easy to assume these guys will all hit the open market and would be willing to play here just because we want them. Heck, I would bet 65% of these names will resign with their current team and use the other 31 teams as leverage to get the best contract.

With all that being said, it's still a lot of fun thinking about which 3-6 guys would be nice additions to the Browns. Too bad it won't happen (and of course, even if it could happen, you have the whole "you don't build your team through FA" philosophy which is right in most cases).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Mourgrym #652960 02/10/12 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If we dump steiny we should be around 30 mil under.

If we sign just 2 or 3 FA, then we can probably afford to pay for top talent and still be able to sign a few FA of our own.

I don't see that being the problem.

The question becomes, how much are we going to be willing to invest in FA?

[Linked Image]

cfrs15 #652961 02/10/12 05:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Just a few questions not trying to be a smart alec, do you expect us to sign Mario Williams? Do you think he will want to play for the Cleveland Browns? Is he worth the money it will take to sign him? If we don't sign him will our front office be viewed as incompetent?

Obviously I would love to have a player like Mario Williams. But I think there is about a 1% chance we actually sign him. I also think that if we don't sign him there will be people on this board with torches and pitchforks ready to fire everyone because we didn't sign him.

I understand the people who want to sign Mario Williams. I don't understand the people who think we have a realistic shot a signing him. And if we don't sign him they will be upset because our front office didn't try hard enough. Williams has a say in where he goes as well. This is not a video game. (These are the same people that were mad that we didn't re-sign Eric Wright, even though we offered him a better contract and he chose to go elsewhere.)

Our only chance to sign Williams is if we offer him more money than anyone else and he doesn't care where he plays.

Do I expect us to sign Mario? No of course not, we're the Browns, we sign Tony Pashos' and Scott Fujita's...

If we're the highest bidder, and he sees he'd be an integral part of solidifying our Defense, I couldn't see why not, Reggie White did go to Green Bay(instead of us ironically). They we're 9-7 the year before, so it's not like he went to a top contending team...

He's probably top 3 DE in the league and I'd assume the youngest of them, so yes I think it'd be worth the money...

And no, I don't think that if we don't sign one of the top FAs this offseason our FO failed, but if they don't even make a call to him, then that to me would be a failure...

ThatGuy #652962 02/10/12 05:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And no, I don't think that if we don't sign one of the top FAs this offseason our FO failed, but if they don't even make a call to him, then that to me would be a failure...

Why would it be a failure to not call? I'm just wondering why you would say that. If the Browns FO aren't looking to spend big bucks in free agency and they know he's going to command a gigantic deal, why bother calling his agent?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #652963 02/10/12 06:34 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Why would it be a failure to not call? I'm just wondering why you would say that. If the Browns FO aren't looking to spend big bucks in free agency and they know he's going to command a gigantic deal, why bother calling his agent?

If we're not going to pay high dollar for one of the best players in the league, aka, what he's worth (in the scheme of pro football) then why did we give Thomas a bunch of money?

If Williams was a Brown, going into FA, I would want them to do everything they could to resign him, so what's the difference between that and getting him in FA?

If Drew Brees entered FA I would expect them to put a call into him.

I cannot fathom a 4-3 team that needs a DE not calling Mario's people, regardless of the costs...

(And I'll state again, it's not my money, We have cap room, if it can be done, I think we should IMO)

ThatGuy #652964 02/10/12 06:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If Williams was a Brown, going into FA, I would want them to do everything they could to resign him, so what's the difference between that and getting him in FA?

Very good point. I think it's true what some people have said on here though. We're looking to save our money, not spend our money on FA's, but if one of those guys were on our team, we'd have to fork over the money anyway ALA Joe Thomas.......

And this season, we HAVE to use the cap room. Williams is in his prime and is one of the best.

I dunno why we wouldn't try and get him. Just think about it, Mario Williams, Phil Taylor, Rubin, and Sheard. Those guys would be great rushing the QB. Everything tends to start at the O-Line and the D-Line IMO. Especially on defense. All the positions depend on good play from them, so that their jobs are easier. Taylor and Rubin clog up the middle, it's much harder to run up the gut on us and we collapse the pocket, Sheard and Williams bring constant pressure, and our CB's have a much easier time.

Brownoholic #652965 02/10/12 06:46 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm surprised that Hillis wasn't on that list. If I made a list he wouldn't be on there, but I'm still surprised. I think he's even more surprised, and his ego just took a little shock.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

And this season, we HAVE to use the cap room.

Cap floor doesn't go into effect until next off-season.

cfrs15 #652967 02/10/12 06:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm, interesting. I thought it was this year, but i'll take your word for it.

Well still, with next year's offseason, I wonder how we'll plan for the cap-floor. I wonder if that would make us more active in FA or less active. That's something I'm going to have to think over

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Just think about it, Mario Williams, Phil Taylor, Rubin, and Sheard.

and if Still, DT Penn State drops to our #37 pick, we could even have an interior rotation too.

we'd have the best DL in the division and probably the AFC (have to see them on the field together before comparing to SF, NYG, and Detroit)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

and if Still, DT Penn State drops to our #37 pick, we could even have an interior rotation too.

Man, that would be great, although we'd have issues affording everyone within a couple years

cfrs15 #652970 02/10/12 07:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

We're going to have 2 numbers to look at in the near future ....... the Salary Cap ..... and cash spent per league year. Both will have to fall within the CBA guidelines, but if a team doesn't reach the minimums, then they just pay a "fine" in the amount of the difference that goes to the players anyway.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'd be surprised if Still fell as far as our pick 22, much less 37 . . .

Brownoholic #652972 02/10/12 07:55 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I'd be surprised if Still fell as far as our pick 22, much less 37 . . .

I agree. But it seems like every mock I have been reading lately has him available there. Not sure why. Probably just silly season.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #652973 02/11/12 12:57 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If Massaquoi played on the Giants would he be just as good as Manningham? I think he would.

Good joke! The punchline was delivered beautifully too!

anarchy2day #652974 02/11/12 11:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Deep pool of free-agent receivers should be tempting to Cleveland Browns
Published: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 6:53 PM Updated: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 6:53 PM
Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns picked a great year to be in the market for big-play wide receivers.

Depending on which players re-sign with their teams between now and the start of free agency on March 13, there could be dozens of quality wideouts flooding the market. The list includes big-name receivers such as San Diego's Vincent Jackson and Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson, and some lesser-known ones such as Dallas' Laurent Robinson and New Orleans' Robert Meacham.

Of course, some of the best will either be franchised by their teams -- which could earn them an estimated $9.5 million in 2012 -- or sign contracts before hitting the open market. But for a Browns team that finished 30th in the NFL in points per game (13.6) and 29th in the league with 21 touchdowns, March 13 could feel like Christmas morning.

Granted, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert has made it clear that he's building through the draft and doesn't love signing free agents. But it's almost a lock that the Browns will end up with a veteran wideout either in free agency or a trade, especially so many top-notch ones potentially available.

Consider that the Browns' leader in receptions -- Greg Little with 61 -- finished tied for 42nd in that category and had half as many catches as league-leader Wes Welker's 122.

Some big-name receivers such as Welker and Reggie Wayne were left off this list, because Welker will most likely re-sign with the Patriots and Wayne is 33, although he had a fine season in Indianapolis last year.

With that, a look at 10 receivers who could be available next month:

Vincent Jackson

Height/weight: 6-5, 230.

Current team: San Diego.

2011 stats: 60 catches, 1,106 yards, nine TDs.

The Chargers appear ready to let Jackson walk, and if so, he'll be the biggest-name receiver to hit the market. He'll also have plenty of suitors and will have his pick of teams that hope to contend for a Super Bowl. It's doubtful a receiver of Jackson's caliber would want to come to a rebuilding team like the Browns, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't give it a try. But he'll come with a huge price tag, judging by the $10 million he asked for in 2010. A two-time Pro Bowler, he's had three 1,000-yard seasons in his seven years.
desean-jax-puntret-horiz-nyg-ap.jpgView full sizeAP fileA gamebreaker both as a receiver and as a kick returner, DeSean Jackson carries some reputation baggage, but the Browns' front office and coaching staff have ties that could make him an interesting fit.

DeSean Jackson

Height/weight: 5-10, 175.

Current team: Philadelphia.

2011 stats: 58 catches, 961 yards, four TDs.

Jackson held out early in camp in a contract dispute and was disgruntled much of the season. But he still managed to lead the Eagles with 961 receiving yards. He poses a duel threat as a receiver/returner, and made the Pro Bowl in 2010 at both positions. The Eagles could franchise him or try to sign him to a long-term deal. If they let him go, few teams know him better than the Browns: Heckert drafted him in 2008 and coach Pat Shurmur was the Eagles' quarterbacks coach that season. Perhaps he'd have a better attitude and fewer drops with a change of scenery and a new long-term deal at top dollar.

Mario Manningham

Height/weight: 6-0, 185.

Current team: New York Giants.

2011 stats: 39 catches, 523 yards, four TDs.

Manningham, a Warren native, is still riding high from his spectacular 38-yard catch on the game-winning drive in the Super Bowl. Manningham would love to stay with the Giants, but might also be open to breaking out from behind Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks and becoming a No. 1 receiver. In 2010, Manningham had No. 1-type stats, with 60 catches, 944 yards and 9 TDs. But coming off a Super Bowl victory, he'll likely sign with a contender for 2012.
bills-johnson-td-catch-squ-ap.jpgView full sizeAP fileStevie Johnson has 106 first-down receptions over the last two NFL seasons, and 17 touchdowns.

Stevie Johnson

Height/weight: 6-2, 210.

Current team: Buffalo.

2011 stats: 76 catches, 1,004 yards, seven TDs.

Johnson, who's averaged 79 catches, 1,039 yards and eight TDs over his last two seasons, could get the franchise tag, but is open to testing the market. "Of course I'm hoping Buffalo will step up," Johnson told the Buffalo News. "But to be in free agency to see what other teams are saying, that's also good." Johnson is in the prime of his career and could give the Browns the No. 1 threat they need. He achieved his 2011 stats with a torn groin and a broken hand, meaning he's probably capable of more. Problem is, like the rest of the big-name receivers, he'll have plenty of attractive offers.

Pierre Garcon

Height/weight: 6-0, 210.

Current team: Indianapolis.

2011 stats: 70 catches, 947 yards, six TDs.

Garcon, who played his college ball at Mount Union, managed stellar numbers despite a bad season in Indy without Peyton Manning (neck). He had 67 catches for 784 yards and 6 TDs in 2010. He's got great speed, great production and would pair well with Little. But he grew up in Florida and hopes to play for a warm-weather team if he leaves Indy.

Dwayne Bowe's juggling TD catch vs. Colts

Dwayne Bowe

Height/weight: 6-2, 221.

Current team: Kansas City.

2011 stats: 81 catches, 1,159 yards, five TDs.

Bowe is a strong candidate for the franchise tag, and new head coach Romeo Crennel and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll are likely to want to keep him. Chiefs GM Scott Pioli recently called him a "key component of the past and hopefully the future." But the former first-round pick would be a great acquisition for the Browns and a sure-fire No. 1. A Pro Bowler, Bowe is known for sensational catches, especially in the red zone.
colston-saints-catch-eagles-ap.jpgView full sizeAP fileMarques Colston (12) and Robert Meachem are both entering free agency, with the New Orleans Saints seemingly unlikely to retain both players.

Marques Colston

Height/weight: 6-4, 225.

Current team: New Orleans.

2011 stats: 80 catches, 1,143 yards, eight TDs.

Colston, a seventh-round pick out of Hofstra in 2006, has had a tremendous run in New Orleans, posting 1,000-yard seasons in five of his six years. But he wants a big contract to stay, and the Saints are also going to have the break the bank on quarterback Drew Brees and possibly try to keep their other productive wideout, Robert Meachem. Colston has great height and would provide a good target for a shorter quarterback such as Colt McCoy or Robert Griffin III.

Robert Meachem

Height/weight: 6-2, 212.

Current team: New Orleans.

2011 stats: 40 catches, 620 yards, six TDs.

They can't keep them all, can they? Meachem, a late first-round pick in 2007, is starting only about half the Saints' games, but still getting good production. A bona fide deep threat with 4.39 speed coming out of Tennessee, Meachem is still in the prime of his career and would be a starter in Cleveland.

Laurent Robinson

Height/weight: 6-2, 197.

Current team: Dallas.

2011 stats: 54 catches, 858 yards, 11 TDs.

After being released by the Chargers in September, Robinson found a home in Dallas and became Tony Romo's favorite target. His team-high 11 TD passes came in the last 10 games. "I'm loving wearing this jersey," Robinson said recently. "I'm hoping to stay here as a Cowboy. But we'll see on March 13 when free agency starts. Hopefully my dream can come true and I can stay a Cowboy."

Brandon Lloyd

Height/weight: 6-0, 200.

Current team: Rams.

2011 stats: 70 catches, 966 yards, five TDs.

The Browns would probably prefer not to sign a 30-year-old free agent, but Lloyd is an intriguing prospect. Although his production in 2011 wasn't spectacular after he was traded from Denver, he did post tremendous stats in 2010 with the Broncos: 77 catches, 1,448 yards, 11 TDs. But he's been batted around to five different teams, which usually isn't a good sign.

On Twitter: @marykaycabot
web page

Mourgrym #652975 02/12/12 12:04 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
If Heckert and Holmgren are bright,they should look at Carl Nicks and Evan Mathis.
The Browns o-line continues to be a weakness.
the proof is in the pudding.
28th running the football......32nd in rushing TDS.
everyone but Mack and Thomas are replaceable.
The Browns were dead in the NFL at 2nd level yardage.
teams didn't have to load the box to stop the Browns running game.

Legend
Legend
I'm sure that had nothing to do with them starting their 4th string RB that they got off of Houston's Practice Squad (5th if you count Smith ahead of OGB)

And we can look at any players we want, this isn't Madden, you can't just offer more money and they come sign papers (hell that doesn't even always work in Madden)

But when Nicks and other Olineman resign or sign somewhere else, feel free to come on and yell at the FO and claim "they're not trying" or something...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns OL is top 10 and would be much higher with a quality RT.

ThatGuy #652978 02/12/12 01:35 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
The Browns front office in 2011 did very little to upgrade the talent level of the roster or try for that matter.
and what you got was a 4-12. A offense that when you take everything into consideration,was worse than the 1999 offense.
4th string RB...when Brandon Jackson went down...Heckert sat on his hands.
Armond Smith..really? that was your plan when Jackson went on the IR?
Montario Hardesty has not worked out..but some on this board applaud his 3.0 YPC.
If the Browns have to over pay for Nicks or Mathis..by all means do it.
All I hear is how great the Browns o-line is except for this guy or this guy....
when was the last time the Browns had a real solid o-line from OT to OT?

Legend
Legend

clevesteve #652980 02/12/12 01:50 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That was a great O-Line. I still miss Hank Fraley. I remember once when Ed Reed caught an interception thrown by DA and Fraley lit him up like no other. I'm not sure if we won that game or not, but that hit made that INT not seem so bad.

Love that guy. Thomas, Steinbach, Fraley, Tucker/McKinney?, Kev Schaffer

Great O-Line. Great offensive weapons too. Winslow and Jurevicious doing work underneath while Braylon stretched the field a bit.

People rip on Braylon a lot, but that season he was the main reason that teams couldn't stack the box on Jamal Lewis and we had such a darn good offensive attack.

Worked great for DA, all he had to do was sling it and our guys always seemed to figure out a way to get it. Then came that stupid 2nd Bengals game of the season.........

Mourgrym #652981 02/12/12 03:29 AM
Rookie
Rookie
Wow i didnt know Garcon was that small I like Meacham alot

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That was a great O-Line. I still miss Hank Fraley. I remember once when Ed Reed caught an interception thrown by DA and Fraley lit him up like no other. I'm not sure if we won that game or not, but that hit made that INT not seem so bad.

Love that guy. Thomas, Steinbach, Fraley, Tucker/McKinney?, Kev Schaffer

Great O-Line. Great offensive weapons too. Winslow and Jurevicious doing work underneath while Braylon stretched the field a bit.

People rip on Braylon a lot, but that season he was the main reason that teams couldn't stack the box on Jamal Lewis and we had such a darn good offensive attack.

Worked great for DA, all he had to do was sling it and our guys always seemed to figure out a way to get it. Then came that stupid 2nd Bengals game of the season.........

Yet Seth McKinney wasn't really a great player. We lost Ryan Tucker to injury what ..... about half way through that season? Kevin Shaffer wasn't a great player by any stretch of the imagination. People celebrated when he left. That means that the whole right side was, at least, questionable for half the year, if not the whole year.

I am exaggerating a bit here ...... but the reason that offense and line worked so well was because Anderson was so good at making pre-snap reads. Unfortunately, as teams realized this, they started switching up their defenses at the snap, and confusion reigned instead.

The only difference between the OL in 2007 and 2008 is that we substituted Rex Hadnot (a pretty good RG in his own right) in at RG for the combination of McKinney and Tucker. That OL played almost the entire year together. We were nowhere near as successful though. The only other difference was that we brought in Stallworth, and lost Joe Jurevicius.

However, with the QB now exposed, we had nowhere near the success we had the year before. Anderson was unable to make the necessary adjustments to the adjustments defenses made to him. If this was chess, he was checkmated.

Then, of course, by the end of 2008, we had guys like Ken Dorsey and Bruce Gradkowski playing .........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yet Seth McKinney wasn't really a great player. We lost Ryan Tucker to injury what ..... about half way through that season? Kevin Shaffer wasn't a great player by any stretch of the imagination. People celebrated when he left. That means that the whole right side was, at least, questionable for half the year, if not the whole year.

I was one of those who did not celebrate the leaving of Kevin Schaffer. I saw us bringing in some chump from the same team that picked up Schaffer named St. Clair. Had no idea who he could be, but I did know one thing, if the Bears are cutting him and pkcking up Schaffer, why the heck are we picking up St. Clair?

Schaffer wasn't that bad in 2007, but he did have an unusually bad season in 2008. His contract also was heavily back loaded unfortunately, so it was expensive to keep him.

I did forget about Hadnot though, he wasn't bad. I wonder what happened to him. Seth McKinney wasn't good, but he wasn't that bad. He was the perfect example of what you could find at the guard position in FA (same as Hadnot). For whatever reason, the guard position is MUCH easier to fill than the tackle position.

I do think the DA helped the O-Line look good in 2007, and I never noticed that about the pre-snap reads. One of the things he was good at though was getting the ball out of his hands quickly. He was a gun slinger. This always makes an O-Line look good at pass blocking.

But the O-Line definitely had a lot of chemistry that season when it came to runblocking. And Schaffer was better for us than anyone we've had since he left................ And that's just sad

Legend
Legend
If you remember that first game of the 2007 season ... the one against the Steelers ...... and Frye was sacked something like 5 times on a half ...... and Anderson was sacked 14 times in the rest of that game ..... PLUS the rest of the year. lol

DA was still never sacked much, even in the following years. He was sacked 14 and 11 times in the next 2 seasons. He always got the ball out quickly .... unfortunately, once he lost his ability to read pre-snap, he lost everything. He just never adjusted. I loved watching him play for that period of time during the 2007 season when we could seemingly score at will. Man that was fun. I love seeing a QB go down the field and attack the hell out of a defense.

Hadnot was injured, and then released, IIRC. He wound up starting all 16 games for the Cardinals last year.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I still remember a deep seam route DA threw to Jurevicius on 3rd-and-a mile. It was a 25-30 yard laser that would have put a hole in Joe's chest if he hadn't caught it. I thought at the time that I had never seen a Browns' QB make that throw. Haven't seen it since either.

Last edited by Dave; 02/12/12 10:33 AM.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Free Agents

Link Copied to Clipboard