Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dave #652986 02/12/12 10:42 AM
Legend
Legend
I love watching a guy who can knock the numbers off his receiver's jersey at 40 yards with the flip of a wrist work. That's the kind of QB I want. We have tried and tried the "decent arm, decent accuracy" types ...... I want a guy with a rocket, who can strike from anywhere on the field. I want a guy that defenses fear. I am so sick of watching defenses play 8 in the box because they know we aren't throwing anything intermediate to long outside.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Bottom line is you need a guy who can play.....big arm doesn't mean success.

I'm not sure what was more painful....watching post-2007 DA or Quinn. They were equally painful, and we all know DA can sling it.

As to the FA WR list....reaffirms my belief Meachem is the best, most likely fit for us. Would be nice opposite Little with Norwood and Cribbs as the 3 and 4.

Then draft RG3 at 4.......

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
D
Legend
Legend
D
The trouble with that is that in the last 30-40 years, you could probably count those guys on two hands. They are rare ... Bradshaw, Moon, Marino, Elway, Favre, Rodgers, maybe Roethlisberger, and who else? Even the Mannings - great as they are - are not what I'd call "elite arms". The other problem with elite arm QB's is that they usually come with major warts - like Derek Anderson. Plus nowadays, with the dollars involved, I wonder if a Bradshaw or Elway - who both had big problems in their first few seasons - would have gotten the time to develop.

Dave #652989 02/12/12 11:51 AM
Legend
Legend
I would say that Stafford has an elite arm as well. I think that Peyton Manning has far superior accuracy and football savvy ...... but Eli Manning has an elite arm. He can flick it down the field on a rope when he has to. Peyton Manning wasn't a 98 # weakling either. Neither was Brady, I think that Brady just lacked the guys to go deep, so he took everything the guys he has gave him. When he had Moss he went deep quite frequently.

I think that Roethlisberger is there, and Newton is one his way.

Obviously Rodgers, as you mentioned.

They are rare ..... guys with elite type arms, and football intelligence, to go with accuracy and ball placement ......

That's why I want RG3. There's risk involved ...... but man ........ if he works out (and he's got a far better than even chance of becoming a good to great QB) ..... we're set for 10-15 years.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I haven't seen enough of Griffin to be convinced he's elite material. I saw his highlight video, which featured him running as much as throwing. I don't present myself as having the ability to scout QBs but here's my impressions: I think he has a good-to-very good arm, but not elite. I think he has a low release which could be a problem for a guy who may or may not be 6-2. The combine will tell on his height and weight, but to me looks 6-1-ish, about 205-210 lbs. NFL prototype is 6-4 or 6-5, and 230 lbs. His lack of experience under center, and his history in a spread offense doesn't encourage me - but maybe he could make the leap to a pro style offense. He certainly seems athletic enough to make that transition. I do have enough faith in Holmgren's aptitude for QBs to accept his decision, so I guess we'll find out in April if he's our guy.

Dave #652991 02/12/12 12:45 PM
Legend
Legend
I saw him with Luck at the Heisman ceremony, and his shoulder level looked even with Luck. (RG3 was leaning over a bit, kinda ducking his head like you would to get in a picture)) I think that he'll come in at a legitimate 6'2".

The biggest problem people have is that he doesn't do a lot under Center. I think that he'll transition just fine. He's got the intelligence, and he has good enough feet to make the adjustment.

Legend
Legend
Since this moved in this direction, I'll post this here:

Browns DT Phil Taylor Says Robert Griffin III Is A Perfect Fit For The NFL « CBS Cleveland
http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/01/12/browns-dl-phil-taylor-griffin-iii-perfect-fit-for-nfl/

BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – Let the debate begin.

Robert Griffin III made it official Wednesday by declaring for the NFL draft and so the question can officially be asked – should the Browns draft the Heisman Trophy winner?

If you ask defensive tackle Phil Taylor, who spent three seasons with Griffin III at Baylor before the Browns selected him with the 21st pick in round one of last years draft, the answer would be ‘yes they should.’

“He’s a great quarterback,” Taylor said. “I played with him for three years and I think he can fit into any system. All around (he’s) a great quarterback.

“He’s going to be a good one.”

If anyone would know about Griffin III it would be Taylor, who spent many a practice chasing after him.

“His freshman year he was basically the fastest guy out there,” Taylor said. “I knew he was going to be a good one the first time I saw him.

“I can’t wait to see where he goes in the draft.”

By throwing his hat into the draft ring, Griffin III appears to automatically vault to the number two quarterback choice in April.

Stanford’s Andrew Luck is expected to be a lock to go to Indianapolis with the first pick but a lot can happen between now and April 26.

Taylor was asked if he’d be willing to run upstairs to general manager Tom Heckert’s office and campaign on behalf of his former teammate.

“I can’t do that,” Taylor said while laughing off the notion that his opinion would be wanted to begin with. “I don’t draft people.”

Griffin III completed 72.4 percent of his passes this past season while throwing for 4,293 yards 37 touchdowns and six interceptions for the Bears.

The former Baylor teammates have been in contact over the past few weeks while Griffin III was deciding if he would stay in school or go pro.

“I’ve been talking to him,” Taylor said. “He told me that he was going to end up declaring. I told him to just work hard and get ready for the combine.”

The combine, which is a virtual meat market for all 32 NFL teams, will be held next month in Indianapolis for nearly 300 draft prospects where they will be put through drills, undergo a variety of medical tests, take the now famous Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test and sit down for individual interviews with team executives.

One of the negatives when discussing Griffin III’s early first round prospects is size. At 6’2″ 220 lbs, the naysayers argue that he doesn’t fit the prototypical requirements for an NFL quarterback.

His size will definitely be scrutinized next month in Indianapolis and remain a hot topic of conversation until the draft but Taylor says that is ridiculous.

“He’s a smart kid and he knows how to get away from the harder hits,” Taylor said. “It’s the NFL. A lot of people hit harder than college but it’s nothing that you can’t overcome.”

Griffin III has the ability to extend plays with his feet making him a dual threat for opposing defenses which has teams drooling at the prospect of landing him early in the first round.

His physical skills have raised comparisons to Michael Vick and Cam Newton. Many of the criticisms of Griffin III were heard this time last year with Newton, who had no problem fitting into Carolina’s offense this year.

“I think he’s a little mixture of both,” Taylor said. “He can scramble but he’s one of those scramble quarterbacks who doesn’t really like to scramble. he wants to throw the ball first, then run later.”

That is what has many NFL teams intrigued – his willingness and desire to pass first before running.

But can he be a system quarterback – as in a West Coast system quarterback?

“He’s a smart guy,” Taylor said. “He can fit into any offense. We’ll find out wherever he goes on draft day how he does.”

Browns coach Pat Shurmur acknowledged prior to the Alamo Bowl that he’d seen a little of Griffin III calling him a “tremendous talent.”

In the coming weeks and months expect the Browns to play it extremely close to the vest regarding their thoughts on Griffin III – especially if they really do like him.

After all, if they do want Griffin III, the last thing they want is to tip their hand and have a team to grab him with one of the top three picks. That is why president Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert or Shurmur won’t publicly gush over him.

Holmgren admitted last week that the Browns weren’t 100 percent sold on Colt McCoy as the franchise quarterback and that they will likely bring in another quarterback this offseason.

Baylor hardly is known for football but Griffin III has changed the perception of the program and to a degree Taylor has as well.

“It says a lot, that Baylor, they’re on the rise,” Taylor said. “The last five years we’ve had three first rounders and this year we hopefully get another two so it says a lot for the Baylor program.”

As for Taylor, he like the rest of his teammates, is still smarting from the Browns’ 4-12 season but expects a turnaround a lot sooner than later.

“It’s the NFL,” Taylor said. “Everyone is professional. It’s hard to win games. This offseason we’re going to do everything we have to do and next year is going to be a good year for us.”

Clearly 2012 will be much better in his mind if the Browns would take Griffin III.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I love watching a guy who can knock the numbers off his receiver's jersey at 40 yards with the flip of a wrist work. That's the kind of QB I want. We have tried and tried the "decent arm, decent accuracy" types ...... I want a guy with a rocket, who can strike from anywhere on the field. I want a guy that defenses fear. I am so sick of watching defenses play 8 in the box because they know we aren't throwing anything intermediate to long outside.

Watching a guy like Mike Vick, stand in the pocket, and at a moments notice just like flick his wrist and the ball travels 40 yards on a rope into the hands of a WR makes me sad when I watch Browns QBs...

(Note: I don't want Mike Vick on the Browns, ever)

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #652994 02/12/12 08:21 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Watching a guy like Mike Vick, stand in the pocket, and at a moments notice just like flick his wrist and the ball travels 40 yards on a rope into the hands of a WR makes me sad when I watch Browns QBs...

(Note: I don't want Mike Vick on the Browns, ever)

I would have taken Vick in a heartbeat, we have a chance to get our own Vick in RG3, without the off field issues. Come on Heckert make it happen!

#brownsgoodkarma
Tubby_Dawg #652995 02/12/12 11:56 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Brownoholic #652996 02/13/12 01:58 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I've been wanting Jackson. Obviously I don't want him at that price (franchise tag). Time to find a new free agent wide receiver to want.

cfrs15 #652997 02/13/12 02:40 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I've been wanting Jackson. Obviously I don't want him at that price (franchise tag). Time to find a new free agent wide receiver to want.

I would give Philly a 2013 Conditional 3rd round pick that could move up based on how well Jackson does/behaves...

They obviously would get better offers for him than that, He's a great deep threat, a great punt returner, but beyond that, does he even do anything good?

Add to that his recent attitude. And the fact that the Jets gave up a 4th for a Superbowl MVP WR... And I'm fine with my offer...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
cfrs15 #652998 02/13/12 02:46 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thats interesting. The date for Tags is Feb 20th. Obviously the beagles are getting their ducks in a row and I imagine they want to dangle Jackson as trade bait.

Going to be interesting to see who would want that head case.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
SaintDawg #652999 02/13/12 02:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thats interesting. The date for Tags is Feb 20th. Obviously the beagles are getting their ducks in a row and I imagine they want to dangle Jackson as trade bait.

Well the usual suspects, (Washington, Al Davis) are probably out of the running, seeing as the Skins got burnt on their last trade with Philly, and Al Davis was proven to finally actually not be alive anymore...

ThatGuy #653000 02/13/12 04:08 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Steelers were lucky to get a 4th. Holmes had tons of off the field issues. Jackson has done nothing off the field. He just acts like an idiot on the field at times.

cfrs15 #653001 02/13/12 04:29 AM
Legend
Legend
I just don't know what kind of player he's going to be after he gets "paid"

He's already shown an interest in doing what's best for himself, He's young and immature, and I doubt 10s of millions of dollars is going to change that...

Hopefully if he goes anywhere, It's to a team that already has an established Veteran WR and core group of peopel that could keep him in line... Say teaming him up with a guy like Fitz, or Andre Johnson?

I just predict him either going somewhere and being the "star wide receiver" and not producing on the field to earn that title...

ThatGuy #653002 02/13/12 08:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well the usual suspects, (Washington, Al Davis) are probably out of the running, seeing as the Skins got burnt on their last trade with Philly, and Al Davis was proven to finally actually not be alive anymore...

Hopefully not. If the Skins trade a 1st for him, then they lose the ammunition they need to move up for RG3, thus taking one team out of that scenario.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully not. If the Skins trade a 1st for him, then they lose the ammunition they need to move up for RG3, thus taking one team out of that scenario.

Good catch. I see a few teams asking the Eagles for a trade but nobody coming close to what Philly wants. He'll play the tag out in Philly. It's not an ideal situation but that tag is a lot of money to say no to.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #653004 02/13/12 11:50 AM
Legend
Legend
It won't be as much as it was this year though.

In 2011, the franchise number for a WR was $11.4 million. It'll be $9.4 million next year.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Randy Moss UN-retiring?

Fun offseason . . .

Dave #653006 02/13/12 12:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The trouble with that is that in the last 30-40 years, you could probably count those guys on two hands. They are rare ... Bradshaw, Moon, Marino, Elway, Favre, Rodgers, maybe Roethlisberger, and who else? Even the Mannings - great as they are - are not what I'd call "elite arms". The other problem with elite arm QB's is that they usually come with major warts - like Derek Anderson. Plus nowadays, with the dollars involved, I wonder if a Bradshaw or Elway - who both had big problems in their first few seasons - would have gotten the time to develop.

Joe Namath had IT. Dude threw a hard accurate ball.

1oldMutt #653007 02/13/12 12:30 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Namath threw a beautiful ball, but he's pretty overrated, IMO. Career stats: 50.1% completion pct, 173 TDs, 220 INTs, 65.5 QB rating.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joenamath/2521943/profile

Dave #653008 02/13/12 01:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Namath threw a beautiful ball, but he's pretty overrated, IMO. Career stats: 50.1% completion pct, 173 TDs, 220 INTs, 65.5 QB rating.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joenamath/2521943/profile

Receivers could literally be mugged anywhere down the field when Namath played.

There are a lot of Hall of Fame QBs who wouldn't get even a 1st look these days if all that someone looked at were his numbers, and not the era in which he played.

Dave #653009 02/13/12 01:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The reason Namath made it to the HOF was because he was the first QB to throw for over 4000 yds in a season and when he retired he was number 12 on the list of total passing yds and somewhere close to that spot on the list in passing TDs.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #653010 02/13/12 02:00 PM
Legend
Legend
being a QB in New York didn't hurt him, either

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That and his Hollywood image.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #653012 02/13/12 02:11 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
i think there was a little story about some type of guarantee when he was a big underdog too. that may have helped.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All of which has nothing to do with the fact he threw a nice tight, hard pass.

1oldMutt #653014 02/13/12 02:27 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
That sentence is one letter away from being inappropriate . . .

1oldMutt #653015 02/13/12 02:28 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

at a sideline reporter

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Receivers could literally be mugged anywhere down the field when Namath played.

Well, then they should probably have literally filed police reports.

clevesteve #653017 02/13/12 02:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The HBO special on Namath was really good. He was very honest on his mistakes
he's made along the way.

1oldMutt #653018 02/13/12 02:40 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I agree, he did. The problem was he threw it to the other team a lot more than you would like or expect from a HOF QB. That, along with his 50.1% completion rate means he wasn't all that accurate a passer.

Dave #653019 02/16/12 04:24 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/c

PFT has an article with them forecasting the franchise tags (starts 2/20 ends 3/5).

A couple guys on their near misses (below in white), I'd love to see us get. I think I posted above about Wallace, even as a RFA, would still love to see us go for it. Arian Foster is very intriguing too. Actually, I'd take anyone in that list at the right price, except maybe Soliai - no sense spending the kind of money it'll take when we have 2 solid starters at DT already.

The Near Misses

Remember that I’m choosing what I think will happen, not what should happen. The following players will be considered for a tag, but I’m predicting they won’t be tagged.

1. Arian Foster, Texans running back.
2. Mike Wallace, Steelers wide receiver.
3. D’Qwell Jackson, Browns linebacker.
4. Michael Bush, Raiders running back.
5. Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs wide receiver.
6. Robert Mathis, Colts defensive end.
7. Paul Soliai, Dolphins nose tackle.
8. Vincent Jackson, Chargers wide receiver.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

I'd take Little over Manningham, but I think you could make the argument for either. Neither run good routes, Little has a bigger body and more upside, Manningham has better hands.

I wouldn't have to take Little over Manningham because I already have Little in a Brown uniform However, a Little, Manningham, Cribbs, and Norwood combination is much better than having MoMass in the mix. MoMass should have stepped up last year and didn't. I would take Manningham in a heartbeat. Improvement is improvement.

HewDawg #653021 02/16/12 11:41 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
but i think there are better WRs on the market than super mario

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This may have been mentioned somewhere above but when does free agency start?

Once we see what happens in free agency then we will have a better idea of what the FO's plans are.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #653023 02/18/12 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
march 13 at 4pm

Mourgrym #653024 02/18/12 07:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #653025 02/20/12 12:25 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/c

I read on PFT this morning that Osi Umenyiora would’t be surprised if the Giants trade him... It got me thinking. He's still a high level player, though he's 30. Would anyone be upset if we traded #22 and maybe a conditional future pick (4th that can upgrade to 2nd based on stats) to the Giants to pick him up, then signing him to a 5 year deal (he currently is under contract for 2012 for about $4m) in the 50m range with maybe 25 guaranteed?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Free Agents

Link Copied to Clipboard