Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

If the Browns were to sign Wallace, what pick would they have to give up? If it was #22,it would be well worth it imo.

I believe I heard that it has to be our own pick, so #4.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C,

Jeremy Mincey, DE, Jacksonville Jaguars:

Is a guy who is probably just off most teams radar, but I think he could help us at DE.

The former 6th round pick has payed his dues and kicked around the League somewhat before settling in with Jacksonville and at 28 is coming into his own.

He is not a guy who will at first glance wow! You with his career stats, but he had 57 tackles and 8.5 sacks (comparable to Sheard) last season and he is not a liability in stopping the run. He can set the point of the tangle and I think that he could be a good find at a reasonable price too.

[Linked Image]

bg819 #653068 02/22/12 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If the Browns were to sign Wallace, what pick would they have to give up? If it was #22,it would be well worth it imo.

Screw that! Not about to help a possibly declining rival back on their feet!

bg819 #653069 02/22/12 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

2013 first.

[Linked Image]

Jester #653070 02/22/12 10:46 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Compensation will depend on what (if any) tag the steelers place on Wallace.

Option 1 - Franchise tag - 2 1st rounders.

Option 2 - 1st round tender - One 1st round pick - If a team has 2 1st round picks then it is the teams original 1st rounder, so it would cost us pick #4.

Option 3 - no tender - no cost.

can't they put an original draft tender on him? is that gone in the new CBA?

that would be a 3rd rounder for Mike Wallace (i doubt the Steelers would do that but they do need to get the tender to fit into their cap space, so if there is enough of a difference maybe there's a chance?)

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg #653071 02/22/12 11:18 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

J/C,

Is a guy who is probably just off most teams radar, but I think he could help us at DE.

I'll be pretty surprised if the Jags let him slip away. And no, he's not off most team's radar . . . He'd be a solid pickup . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A bunch of stuff was eliminated in the new CBA. I know the 1st and 3rd round tender is gone. Not sure if what you are talking about is still there or not. I don't think it is. Regardless I doubt that would stop anybody from trying to sign Wallace.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Brownoholic #653073 02/22/12 11:26 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

J/C,

I'll be pretty surprised if the Jags let him slip away. And no, he's not off most team's radar . . . He'd be a solid pickup . . .

Perhaps your correct, but he is not exactly a household name.

There is a chance that Jacksonville could still franchise him (I'm not sure what defense they plan to run with the new Coaching staff either) true.

[Linked Image]

Jester #653074 02/22/12 11:44 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

A bunch of stuff was eliminated in the new CBA. I know the 1st and 3rd round tender is gone. Not sure if what you are talking about is still there or not. I don't think it is. Regardless I doubt that would stop anybody from trying to sign Wallace.

that was harder to find than it should have been (too many "unofficial" blogs cluttering things up now). anyways, here it is:

Quote:

While researching the new RFA tender amounts I noticed something that slipped past me when the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) was published early last August.

The old CBA had five levels of RFA tender:

First and third round (maximum) tender
First round tender
Second round tender
Original draft pick tender
Right of first refusal (minimum) tender

The change is that the new CBA eliminates the old maximum tender (first and third round compensation) and makes the new max tender only a first round compensatory pick if the player is signed by another team. I say 'only' a first rounder - it's still a hefty price to pay for someone else's RFA, but not nearly as bad as a first and a third rounder. It gives the player a little more opportunity for movement.

The right of first refusal (RoFR) rules haven't changed and the current team still has RoFR on any offers that one of their RFAs receive from another team, provided a qualifying offer is made.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Change to CBA affects compensation for Texans if Foster lost in free agency - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-i...a#ixzz1n7rbZHEw

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
directly from the new CBA

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Quote:

a Restricted Free Agent must tender the player a Qualifying Offer on or before the first date of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period, as follows (all amounts applicable for the 2011 League Year only):
(1) Right of First Refusal Only
one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $1,200,000;
(2) : Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round
one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) the amount set forth in Subsection (b)(i)(1) above, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the play-er’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged (this Subsection is subject to the rules of Subsection (c) below);
(3) : Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection
one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $1,835,000, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged; and
(4) : Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $2,611,000, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I remember reading somewhere that if a restricted free agent is franchised then it only takes one first round pick to sign him.

cfrs15 #653077 02/22/12 12:25 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
well, according to that article and the new CBA it links to, yes, the MOST it can cost is a 1st round pick.

but, there is still the 2nd round pick tender, original draft tender, and ROFR tender.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I can totally see the Patriots (who like always, have two first rounders) signing Mike Wallace. They could sign Wallace and only give up the 31st pick and still have the 27th pick.

Why wouldn't they do that? Just give him a front-loaded contract and the Steelers won't be able to match it because of their cap situation.

cfrs15 #653079 02/22/12 12:55 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

cfrs15 #653080 02/22/12 12:58 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I remember reading somewhere that if a restricted free agent is franchised then it only takes one first round pick to sign him.

Those tags listed are for restricted free agents only. The franchise tag can be applied to any free agent (restricted or unrestricted). It is not included in that list because it is a different category of tag. I am pretty sure that the franchise tag is still 2 1st rounders.

Brownoholic #653081 02/22/12 12:59 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Jimmy Clausen might get released

he and Brady Quinn can battle in the UFL

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #653082 02/22/12 01:04 PM
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

I can totally see the Patriots (who like always, have two first rounders) signing Mike Wallace. They could sign Wallace and only give up the 31st pick and still have the 27th pick.

Why wouldn't they do that? Just give him a front-loaded contract and the Steelers won't be able to match it because of their cap situation.

I could see the Ravens making this move too.

bg819 #653083 02/22/12 01:40 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
the Ravens have Torrey Smith. I don't see them giving the Steelers a 1st for a similar player.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Brownoholic #653085 02/22/12 02:33 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
i'd rather pay top dollar for Mario (yeah, I realize it's unlikely, but I'm still hoping until he's gone):

Quote:

Can they keep Mario Williams?

He’s an incredible pass-rushing talent most every team would love to have. Yet the Texans might be in a position where they have no choice but to watch him move on as an unrestricted free agent.

They should have had planned better and not have allowed themselves to be in a position where the franchise tag is an impossibility. They cannot tag the defensive end-turned-outside linebacker for $22 million, so they either have to sign him or allow him to test the market. He talks affectionately about the Texans and what the franchise did for him, and that leads some to be optimistic about the team’s chances to hold on to him.

But once he’s out there and being courted, things can change in a big way with big dollars on the table.

Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed are great talents, but they’d be better, and the entire defense would be better, if Williams were part of it.

It would be difficult for the Texans to watch Williams lift someone else's defense and put up big sack numbers. He’s also been hurt a lot, however, and if that continues, maybe there won’t be so much regret if he moves on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/34213/leading-questions-afc-south-2

#gmstrong
Brownoholic #653086 02/22/12 02:35 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Falcons will not overpay to keep Curtis Lofton or John Abraham.

I don't see us being interested in either of those players. As the article says, Lofton is a liability against the pass. And he plays the same position as our best defensive player. Abraham will be 34-years-old the entire 2012 season and is expensive. Old, expensive players usually don't sign with rebuilding teams.

Brownoholic #653087 02/22/12 07:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Jimmy Clausen might get released

Gee, I'm stunned.

I mean .... I was soooo high on him in the draft ..... and was ...... really ....... wanting the Brown to draft ..... Nah, I just can't get through it with a straight face.

I thought he sucked, and was vastly and incredibly overrated. He might follow the Brady Quinn career path ..... and pick up a few years as a backup somewhere ..... if he's luckier than his "talent" deserves.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Mike Walllace? Pitt is in cap hell and he said he may not play there next season.

Arps #653089 02/22/12 07:22 PM
Legend
Legend
We really better have a convincing QB/offense argument to make for him too, if we want to sign him.

He's going to have his pick of any number of teams that want him ...... if he is free to sign with those teams. Let's say that he could go to the Patriots, Rams, Lions, Saints, or us ....... where's he going? (and I just pulled those teams out of thin air for demonstrative purposes, not because they could necessarily afford him)

Wallace is going to want to go to a team with a dynamic QB and offense. (or a great possibility of one developing) His future depends on it. He's not going to want to go to a team with QB/offense questions and concerns. He wants to be a long term star. That won't happen if he picks the wrong team.

As always, JMHO.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Arps #653090 02/22/12 08:43 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Mike Walllace? Pitt is in cap hell and he said he may not play there next season.

Is Mike Wallace worth a first round pick? Yes. Is he worth the 4th pick? I say no.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

i'd rather pay top dollar for Mario (yeah, I realize it's unlikely, but I'm still hoping until he's gone):

Quote:

Can they keep Mario Williams?

He’s an incredible pass-rushing talent most every team would love to have. Yet the Texans might be in a position where they have no choice but to watch him move on as an unrestricted free agent.

They should have had planned better and not have allowed themselves to be in a position where the franchise tag is an impossibility. They cannot tag the defensive end-turned-outside linebacker for $22 million, so they either have to sign him or allow him to test the market. He talks affectionately about the Texans and what the franchise did for him, and that leads some to be optimistic about the team’s chances to hold on to him.

But once he’s out there and being courted, things can change in a big way with big dollars on the table.

Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed are great talents, but they’d be better, and the entire defense would be better, if Williams were part of it.

It would be difficult for the Texans to watch Williams lift someone else's defense and put up big sack numbers. He’s also been hurt a lot, however, and if that continues, maybe there won’t be so much regret if he moves on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/34213/leading-questions-afc-south-2

The Browns should pay him anything that he wants, as long as it's within reason. They should overpay, if necessary, but sign him long-term, 3 years with team options on 2 additional years.

anarchy2day #653092 02/22/12 09:26 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Brownoholic #653093 02/23/12 08:00 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Steve Johnson is someone we could go after.

anarchy2day #653094 02/23/12 08:27 AM
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
we should consider Stevie along with about 4 or 5 other WR to see who is willing to play here. Steve we at least know can play in our kind of weather.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
Packers sign Finley to 2-year deal, Flynn next?
Posted on: February 22, 2012 9:47 pm
By Ryan Wilson

There were concerns heading into the offseason that free agent tight end Jermichael Finley, who hauled in 131 passes for 1,744 yards and 14 touchdowns for the Packers since 2009, would want to be paid like a wide receiver. Turns out, the two sides found common ground nearly two weeks before the start of free agency; Finley has signed a two-year deal with Green Bay worth slightly less than $15 million. ProFootballTalk.com originally reported the news and Finley confirmed it on Twitter.

JermichaelF88
It's TRUE! Thank you so much to the Packers organization, all of my fans, and my beautiful wife. Happy Bday. Let's GO Packers!! Back soon...
2/22/12 8:31 PM

As PFT noted, the average value of Finley's new contract -- roughly $7.5 million -- splits the difference between the franchise tag values for tight ends ($5.4) and wide receivers ($9.4).

Finley made $1.2 million in base salary last season.

Signing Finley means that the Packers now have the franchise tag still available to them to use as they see fit. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Tom Silverstein tweets that "I anticipate the Packers using the franchise tag on (Matt) Flynn now. They'll take the $14 million cap hit and then deal him to somebody."

We wrote about this possibility on January 3 when Silverstein first floated the idea of a Packers tag and trade:

Silverstein [writes] that the move isn't without risk for the Packers. Putting aside the illegality of a tag and trade, there's also the issue of having a $14 million backup on your roster if other teams aren't sufficiently interested in trading for him. Which means that team president Ted Thompson would have to work with Flynn's agent "behind the scenes to find a trading partner and then negotiate a deal suitable to Flynn."

Silverstein was told by a "prominent agent who has represented a franchise player" that Green Bay could be in line for a first-round pick at minimum for Flynn, and maybe a first- and third-rounder.

That sounds, well, extreme, especially since Hue Jackson already traded for Carson Palmer.

Almost two months later and it still sounds extreme.

I think it would be hilarious if the Packers tag Flynn for $14 million and nobody bites on a trade. Talk about a dream come true, "Here's $14 million, now go hold a clipboard. We'll call you into the game late in the 4th quarter when we're up 28 points."

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
are franchise tags guaranteed? what if they are cut before the season?

RocDawg #653097 02/23/12 11:01 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

we should consider Stevie along with about 4 or 5 other WR to see who is willing to play here. Steve we at least know can play in our kind of weather.

He makes me a TAD BIT nervous. He seems on the cusp of being another Braylon w/ his drops and attitude. But yeah, he's a big talent. I wouldn't cry if we got him.

Here's another non-household name that would be a nice addition. I think the Cowboys manage to keep him though . . .

Cowboys can’t sign Robinson until he hits open market

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2012, 8:47 AM EST

With free agency less than three weeks away and Cowboys fans nervous about bringing back receiver Laurent Robinson, there’s a reason to be even more nervous.

As Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com points out, because Robinson signed a one-year deal under the minimum salary benefit that entailed a significantly lower cap number, he can’t sign a new deal with the Cowboys before the free-agent market opens.

This means that Robinson is required to become a free agent. And it creates an unusual chess match for the Cowboys. If they tip their hand about Robinson’s value, his agent can then shop those numbers to other teams.

Indeed, even if there’s a verbal deal in place before 12:01 a.m. on March 13, Robinson can walk away and sign with another team. So the Cowboys will be careful.

“The conversation with [Robinson's agent] goes more like, ‘What are you thinking and then we’ll think about it,’” executive vice president Stephen Jones said, per Archer.

Of course, the Cowboys could lock Robinson up via application of the franchise tag. But no matter how badly the team wants to keep him, $9.4 million would be way too much based on one good season for a guy who previously had been a career journeyman.

So look for Robinson to hit the market. And possibly to hit the road.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Once the player signs the franchise contract it becomes guaranteed. Even if he gets cur before opening day.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

are franchise tags guaranteed? what if they are cut before the season?

yes, they are guaranteed. and they also have a stipulation in them that if you franchise a player it is to keep them and play them. but, hey, the Pats were able to get by that one, so it's not like they could block the Pack from doing the same.

My thoughts on Flynn change drastically if he is going to cost us the #22 or even the #37 pick as well as the 5yr/$50mil contract w/ $20mil guaranteed. At that point, I'd rather invest the #37 + #4 on RGIII.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/C
I always wonder (worry a little too) that even if we are the highest bidder guys just wont want to come play for us. If I was a top notch player I would probably take a little less to play for a playoff type team.

Legend
Legend
Pfffttt....winning schimming. Give me the best deal out there. Teams in the NFL go up and go down in the standings all the time (see Colts and Bengals). Guaranteed money is all I'd care about.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

J/C
I always wonder (worry a little too) that even if we are the highest bidder guys just wont want to come play for us. If I was a top notch player I would probably take a little less to play for a playoff type team.

Don't fall into that BS...

It's ALL about $$$ in FA...Unless u r on the wrong side of 30 and r on your last leg...

Every single player that walks thru Berea RAVES about this organization...And that was with the likes of Crennel and Davis and Savage and such runnin' the show...Now we've got what could be a GREAT FO runnin' it...And an impressive Coaching Staff if some would get there heads outta there asses and actually THINK rather than bitch about a 1st Year HC who calls his own plays...In a Lockout shortened season no less...

Go Browns!!!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pfffttt....winning schimming. Give me the best deal out there. Teams in the NFL go up and go down in the standings all the time (see Colts and Bengals). Guaranteed money is all I'd care about.

Sorta true, but sorta not...we have been bad for a long time...

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think it would be Hilarious if Green Bay tagged Flynn. I really couldn't see anyone trading for a him with a 14 million dollar contract and giving up a pick or picks. I think the most attractive thing about him is that he is young and is a free agent that had time to sit and learn. I think teams would be disinterested if that happens and Green Bay would be stuck with him for a year at 14 million.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
C
Legend
Legend
C
That team that traded for him would restructure his contract, like the Chiefs did with Matt Cassel.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Free Agents

Link Copied to Clipboard