Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
If Luck, Griffin, and Blackmon went 1-2-3, I would love to trade with the Bengals for their 17 and 21 if they wanted to come up and get Richardson.

#17 Kendall Wright
#21 Whitney Mercilus
#22 Mike Adams or Cordy Glenn (Janoris Jenkins?)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trading in division ... if they actually wanted the #4 pick ... I'd gouge them a little more than that

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

If the Browns do not come out of this draft with Griffin or Luck in my opinion the draft is a failure.

When all factors are considered this draft screams get Griffin or Luck, if Griffin were to go number one.

The Browns have been pathetic on offense for years (since Anderson, Winslow and Edwards).

The receivers scare no one. Massaquoi does not have vertical speed and is scared to go over the middle. Little has potential and maybe Norwood but we need another guy from FA or the draft.

McCoy is OK but that is his ceiling. He just doesn't have the skills to be a major impact player.

When you have no real answer at QB and you can get a good prospect you have to take that chance.

We have needs yes that is true but until you have the answer at QB you go nowhere.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

When you have no real answer at QB and you can get a good prospect you have to take that chance.

We have needs yes that is true but until you have the answer at QB you go nowhere.

Sounds like you think Griffin is a good prospect and the answer at QB............. lol.

Let's see what the FO thinks. I do think they definitely understand how important the QB is, but making knee jerk reactions just to get a guy even if he doesn't have the substance to back it up is what I call failure.

If the FO drafts Griffin, then I have faith in Griffin. But if they don't and pick other guys, I think that isn't a bad call either. I assume this will mean that they don't have the faith in Griffin that some people on here do.

I do think Colt McCoy this year will be better than Colt McCoy last year, by a lot. Do I think he'll ever be a superstar, probably not. But assuming we're getting the same product as last year is incorrect, new OC, new players on offense, OTA's and time spent learning the WCO and his position with his position coach/O-Coordinator will mean vast improvements from Colt

One thing I do know is that it doesn't matter who's QB, we need better offensive weapons around them

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Browns do not come out of this draft with Griffin or Luck in my opinion the draft is a failure.

Ahhh,, if we come out of this draft with the same number of starters that we did last year (4, Taylor, Sheard, Little and Pinkston) I think it's hard to call it a failure just because we didn't get a QB..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Some facts:

- RG3 is a MUCH better prospect than McCoy...not even in the same stratosphere. I'd bet my left nut that every NFL FO has a higher grade on RG3 than McCoy, since...

- McCoy was passed on by almost every NFL team 3 times in a VERY WEAK QB class

- Heckert traded up for a RB with bum knees in the 2nd and drafted Lauvao in the 3rd BEFORE he pleased his boss with the selection of Colt McCoy

- McCoy has a 6.3yds/PA avg after 20 career starts...5.9yds in his 1st full season with DCs having tape on him this past season...only Gabbert was worse at 5.4yds

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Ahhh,, if we come out of this draft with the same number of starters that we did last year (4, Taylor, Sheard, Little and Pinkston) I think it's hard to call it a failure just because we didn't get a QB..

2010 also saw 4 guys see significant time as starters (Haden, Ward, McCoy, Lauvao). 3/4 may very well be starting next year and possibly all 4 (Lauvao may have to fight Pinkston if Steinbach is healthy. Obviously McCoy may very well be replaced, but he could still start especially if we get a potential replacement via the draft).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
As someone said earlier ..... stop making sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
If we aren't interested in Griffin, moving down would be good. I hope we do to be honest. I don't really see Blackmon as anything special and don't think Richardson has the value at #4.

I'd be happy if we could drop down the board, but would want to say at or around 10-15.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

If the Browns do not find an answer at quarterback where do you think they will be at the end of next year? Or, the year after, or 2014, or 2015?

Where do you expect the Browns to be drafting next year?

The Best you can say about Colt (who I like) is; " I hope he gets better with better tools around him." What do you say about Cam Newton?

When watching Griffin you can see him make plays that Colt will never be able to make.

When you look at Griffin outside of the field once again his actions speak volumes.

When you have the ammo (@4, and 22) and you do not have a clear answer at quarterback you have to take the risk of drafting a guy like Griffin.

I don't care what needs we have. The object is winning a championship and that is really hard to do without a great quarterback.

Robert Griffin the Third is no lock but the potential is certainly there.

Just as a point in reference this what we gave up to get Kosar:

Cleveland traded their first round picks in the 1985 NFL Draft (#7) and 1986 NFL Draft, their third round pick in 1985 (#63) and their sixth round pick in 1986 to the Buffalo Bills for their first round pick in the 1986 NFL Draft. Since the Bills had the worst record in the 1984 season, they held the first pick in both the regular NFL draft and the supplemental draft in 1985. When a selection is used in the supplemental draft, that team forfeits the pick in the next regular draft which meant that the Browns could use the Bills 1986 regular draft first round pick as the first pick in the 1985 supplemental draft.

I don't think we regretted that. And I do believe Robert Griffin III is every bit the prospect Bernie was coming out of college.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What do you say about Cam Newton?

"Is he a one-hit wonder?".

Quote:

The Best you can say about Colt (who I like) is

"Given time to learn it and the tools to run it, he can really succeed in this system".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
So What can you tell me about RG3, Prove it! Make the case.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
He is smart. (working on graduate degree)
He is regarded as a good leader. (also, parents in military)
He is regarded as a team guy. (see above)
He has a very strong arm. (see long highlight video i posted in Sam Wyche thread for all remaining items)
He is very accurate to moving targets.
He has very nice touch and throws equally well at high and lower velocities.
He is effective at "throwing receivers open" with ball placement.
He has a good feel for pressure and escapability.
He looks to throw when scrambling.
He is really, really fast.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

He has a very strong arm. (see long highlight video i posted in Sam Wyche thread for all remaining items)

Sorry man, you'll have to find more then that!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Arm strength and pocket awareness are NFL level already...Colt lacks both and after 20 starts I've given up that he'll ever even improve to acceptable in both as both have more to do with talent than practice/experience...arm strength your body/throwing motion etc has or has not....feel for pressure while keeping eyes downfield, you either have IT or not (Colt takes his eyes off and looks at the rusher..that might have worked for him in College but that's a no go in the NFL)

That's 2 of the 3 most important categories to evaluate QBs (other being accuracy) and Colt is well below AVG at both and RG3 is at least above AVG in both...RG3 was accurate in College, so was Colt...remains to be seen how it translates to the NFL...but since Colt is well below AVG even there I think anyone who still "believes" in Colt might as well join a sect if they are into the "leap of faith" stuff

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
ah, you're right! I forgot...

He plays with a very level head... never gets too happy or too upset.
He shows up in clutch game after game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Browns do not find an answer at quarterback where do you think they will be at the end of next year? Or, the year after, or 2014, or 2015?

Pretty much stopped reading your post after that.,.,

IF... You wanna play ifs.. What if Colt McCoy is the answer and we kicked him to the curb because to some, it doens't matter that receivers dropped passes and for some it doesn't matter that the system was new (his third in 3 years)

What "IF" we drop this years 1st rounders, next years 1st rounder and a couple of lower round picks to move up to take Luck and he turns into Ryan Leaf?

What "IF" that happens? Then where will we be.. No second 1st round pick this year, no 1st rounder next year, and a couple of other picks missing and STILL NO QB, no new receivers, no RB, No LBs,. No new CB.

What then?

I don't know how people come up with this, but apparently they think if another QB throws the ball, the same damn receivers are going to somehow catch it

So, I reject your thinking from the get go.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't know how people come up with this, but apparently they think if another QB throws the ball, the same damn receivers are going to somehow catch it

You don't think that there is a quantifiable difference in the way that some QBs throw the ball, with regards to how easy/hard it is for receivers to make plays after the catch, when compared to other QBs?

Really?

That explains a lot. To you a completion is a completion, no matter what the rest of the result of the play, right? If the pass is complete, it was a good decision, and a good throw?

Yeah, that would explain a whole lot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

yeah but his hands are too small

T
Legend
Legend
T
He played in 2 bowl games I wish we would have gotton a better litmus test from those. If he's worth trading everything to move up.
That's not entirely saying he's not.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

how easy/hard it is for receivers to make plays after the catch

Not speaking for Daman here, just myself in regards to the quote.

It's not so much the AFTER the catch as it is the CATCH itself that I have concerns with. I understand some balls are harder to catch than others and that the QB can have a lot to do with that. My issue with our receivers is their inconsistency catching balls that him them in the hands. In addition to that, I don't see them running great routes or getting separation. All of those areas need improvement - as well as the play of the QB (whomever it might be)

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
I agree that the receivers need to do a better job in a lot of areas.

However, we all know that receivers have egos ....... and I bet not one of them looks forward to catching 5 yard passes that stand no chance of going anywhere. I bet that weighs on them as much as getting smacked immediately after almost every catch does. These guys want to make the SportsCenter catches too .... the plays like Greg Little got when he broke that long TD against the Blitz ........

They all want to make those plays too ...... and if the constant hammering on short stuff isn't balanced out with some hope of making big plays, then drops and such can happen, because the receivers simply are not mentally into the game.

Let me ask a question ..... How many drops did Little have after he caught that 76 yard TD pass from Wallace? I don't remember any. He was into the game again .... excited about being there ..... and concentrating because he knew that he might get another one like that .......

No one gets excited about catching 5 yard sit down routes with half the defense within 5 yards of them.

I'm not excusing the drops ..... but I think that they are explainable. (especially with young receivers, used to making big plays in college)

A
Legend
Legend
A
You say you aren't excusing the drops - but that's exactly what you did.

You seem to think all the drops were 1-5, maybe 10 yrd. routes. There were plenty of 10 to 20 yd. drops as well.

Legend
Legend
Then those guys are on the wrong team, because we run the West Coast Offense which is based upon using short passing and lots of in-traffic passes to open things up.

So, they either need to learn to like it and do a better job, or they need to find a new team or career.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

yeah but his hands are too small

Hardy har, har.

Well I don't know if that's accurate or not, but there is a reason why they measure their hands and not their feet at the combine LOL.

The reason they do should be an obvious one for a QB.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

"IF" you believe Colt McCoy is capable of leading a team to a championship no problem.

"If" you can not see the difference in the potential between McCoy and Griffin as quarterbacks then maybe you will acknowledge that one was drafted in the third round and the other will be a early first rounder.

This post is about moving down from the fourth pick.

What I said was we need a better QB, and we should draft one this year while we are in the position to do so. Either Luck or Griffin will do. Most believe Luck will be gone. Then Griffin will be fine even if we have to give up pick 22. If Griffin is selected number one. Then do what needs to be done to get Andrew Luck.

"IF" the Browns do not upgrade the quarterback position their chances of winning a championship are greatly reduced.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

"IF" the Browns do not upgrade the quarterback position their chances of winning a championship are greatly reduced.

Where not going to win a championship this year and we are not going to press the issue if we aren't absolutely certain that it's the right thing to do. No matter what the fans and media have to say about it.

You think that the Rams wouldn't like to have our 4th and 22nd and then some possible a 2nd round pick next year.

Bradford was no better then McCoy was for them last season, but boy would they love to have our picks. One of that we obtained from trading down last year.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You don't think that there is a quantifiable difference in the way that some QBs throw the ball, with regards to how easy/hard it is for receivers to make plays after the catch, when compared to other QBs?

Go back and reread what I wrote..

If I throw a pass and it hits the receiver in the numbers and he drops it,, why is it my fault?

Don't twist my words,, However I understand the rotation of the ball theory and I'm sure it has merit. I also understand power behind the throw theory..

Again, if the ball hits a receiver in his hands, he's GOTTA CATCH IT..

Do you have a problem understanding that or is it a null and void thought since you simply want to replace McCoy?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

This whole "hitting the receiver " in the most perfect spot is flat out stupid. Watch Brees, or Brady, or either of the Mannings - or any other quarterback.

It's an ideal that flat out doesn't exist in REAL NFL football.

Watch enough football, you'll see a few throws where you say "gees, perfect spot". Talk to the qb that threw it, and if he's honest he'll say "pure luck".

This whole garbage about "the ball needs to placed within inches" is just stupid talk. Seriously. It sounds like it comes from a wannabe expert - or from a guy that played o line.

Isn't a crapping qb alive that will hit a receiver perfectly in stride, with the ball in the perfect location............and the 10 or 20 times it happens each year, it's pure luck. Period. End of discussion.

I watch too much football to buy into that crap. Anyone that says that, or buys into it - ........doesn't know the game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This whole "hitting the receiver " in the most perfect spot is flat out stupid. Watch Brees, or Brady, or either of the Mannings - or any other quarterback.

Legitimate (within context - there is no absolute one way or the other in this kind of discussion).

I paid very close attention to Brees in particular during the post season and what I saw was that while he is really damn good and has a cannon and great accuracy, his stats benefit GREATLY from a ton of all-around incredible individual efforts from his receivers and backs.

The vast majority of their bigger plays (sans the huge downfield throws) are the receiver making a great catch followed by nothing but individual effort for the YAC.
The most significant thing about Brees is that his release is sickening fast and the ball has great velocity. He can make a decision and the ball is on its way faster than a defender can fart.

All that said, Brees puts the ball - USUALLY - in a pretty good spot... though, there were plenty of times that he didn't and if not for the receivers making crazy catches, it'd be an incompletion.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

It's an ideal that flat out doesn't exist in REAL NFL football.

Watch enough football, you'll see a few throws where you say "gees, perfect spot". Talk to the qb that threw it, and if he's honest he'll say "pure luck".

This whole garbage about "the ball needs to placed within inches" is just stupid talk. Seriously. It sounds like it comes from a wannabe expert - or from a guy that played o line.

Isn't a crapping qb alive that will hit a receiver perfectly in stride, with the ball in the perfect location............and the 10 or 20 times it happens each year, it's pure luck. Period. End of discussion.

I watch too much football to buy into that crap. Anyone that says that, or buys into it - ........doesn't know the game.

I agree with you Arch.. no way are most passes in a "perfect spot". But according to some on here, our QB doesn't put it in this mythical "Perfect Spot" and it's bad.. but other QB's don't put it in the "perfect Spot" and they get a pass., Why is that?

I'll tell ya, it's because they have receivers that MAKE the catch.. They go out and get the ball.

At the end of the season in his wrap up,, did Holmgren say,, Colt needs to hit his receivers more.. or did he say something about the Drops? (I really don't remember if he said that about McCoy, but I know he talked about having too many drops)

I know the other complaint about McCoy is he puts his receivers in peril.. (I beleive some have termed it, being McCoyed) Did anyone watch the Superbowl and see where Manning put some of those passes.. or Brady for that matter..

But thier receivers catch the ball.

I do believe we have a good receiver in Little.. just rusty as hell and young.. he'll get better, I'm sure of it. Cribb improved a bunch from years gone by. MoMass didn't (might be injuries,, dunno) Norwood is a guy I really like.

But outside of Little, we really don't have anyone that any defense is afraid of. And I"m not sure they are very afraid of Little at this point. (I'm hoping that changes as he matures and grows)

I do believe we haven't seen the best of Little, Cribbs and Norwood. I don't know what we have in the other guys.. I'm convinced that a FULL year in the system, with proper learning/teaching time, it will in improved production.

For myself, I'm not interested in blowing up the whole thing again..

But I'm no expert, I won't know HHS if they decide to do that. I readily admit they know a helluva lot more.

Bottom line, I don't believe it's possible for a FAN to KNOW anything.. we can think it,, But we don't know it. (and yeah, there are exceptions of course)

JMO,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
To take it a step further, many throws aren't meant to be in the #s: a back shoulder throw for one. Still, when the throw is in the hands, it needs to be caught most if not all of the time. Welker catches damn near everything, and even he is taking flack for not pulling one down in the S. Bowl. When the drop is the exception rather than the norm, it's a lot easier to take.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend

Not talking about a championship in 2012.

Talking about building a team capable of winning a championship. First step is finding quarterback who can consistently lead a team.

Just look at how the recent Super Bowls have been won.

To give your team a shot at winning it all you have to have a go to quarterback period.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not talking about a championship in 2012.

Talking about building a team capable of winning a championship. First step is finding quarterback who can consistently lead a team.

Just look at how the recent Super Bowls have been won.

To give your team a shot at winning it all you have to have a go to quarterback period.

I understand, but it not just getting a QB.

It's getting the right one. If you trade up for one, then you better be darn sure he is the one.

I've seen how the recent SB's have gone and they all have one thing in common.

They have drafted a good 'team' around a good QB.

To quote another DTer ... We have adults in charge of the FO now.

I think they will make the right choices, even if they are not the most popular ones with fans and media.

[Linked Image]

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

But I'm no expert, I won't know HHS if they decide to do that. I readily admit they know a helluva lot more.

Bottom line, I don't believe it's possible for a FAN to KNOW anything.. we can think it,, But we don't know it. (and yeah, there are exceptions of course)

JMO,,

Ain't a cotton picking person ON here that's an expert. But a few seem to think if they spew venom often enough, it will make them right.

They are sadly mistaken.

I know Ytown has said he won't reply to me in a football thread, and OS said he was putting me on ignore. (I actually take that as a pat on the back)..........but I also have to believe neither one of them has played the game of football at a high level - not even a high level in high school - because if they had, they'd know they were talking out of their asses.

Legend
Legend
I didn't say I was putting you ON ignore, just that I woudln't be replying to you, but your need to throw my name out there, and the fact that you think people ignoring you makes you special for some reason, is really weird to me...

But that's just MY OPINION. Just like everything I post on here is MY OPINION.

Everyone has them, including you, you just feel the need to belittle people that have a different one. Because yours is so special...

Hell guess what Holmgen, Heckert, Shurmur and everyone on the NFL will be basing their decisions on? That's right! Their OPINIONS...

I'm not sure what me playing HS Football has to do with the fact that Colt didn't play very well last year...?

So if two people hold the EXACT SAME Opinion, one means more because they played football in High School? Wow... Really? That explains alot about your thought process...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't even bother.

People saying that QBs don't have differing degrees of accuracy and such is ridiculous. If that was the case, then the only deciding factors in drafting a QB would be arm, and reading a defense. Not every pass is a winner from any QB ..... but certain QBs have better accuracy, both to stationary QBs and to moving targets. It's largely what separates a great QB from a good, fair, or bad one. This applies to both stationary and moving targets. I am just stunned that anyone would dispute this.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

JMO,,

Ain't a cotton picking person ON here that's an expert. But a few seem to think if they spew venom often enough, it will make them right.

They are sadly mistaken.

I know Ytown has said he won't reply to me in a football thread, and OS said he was putting me on ignore. (I actually take that as a pat on the back)..........but I also have to believe neither one of them has played the game of football at a high level - not even a high level in high school - because if they had, they'd know they were talking out of their asses.

Well, in the end, those that say McCoy isn't THE guy,, may end up being right.. dunno., I think he'll be improved, I think he can be a winner at this level.. I THINK that. don't know it.

But I must concede, I could be totally wrong... And I'm not afraid to admit when I am. So anyone that wants to can call me on it in a few years. or maybe even next year.. we'll see.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I didn't say I was putting you ON ignore, just that I woudln't be replying to you, but your need to throw my name out there, and the fact that you think people ignoring you makes you special for some reason, is really weird to me...

But that's just MY OPINION. Just like everything I post on here is MY OPINION.

Everyone has them, including you, you just feel the need to belittle people that have a different one. Because yours is so special...

Hell guess what Holmgen, Heckert, Shurmur and everyone on the NFL will be basing their decisions on? That's right! Their OPINIONS...

I'm not sure what me playing HS Football has to do with the fact that Colt didn't play very well last year...?

So if two people hold the EXACT SAME Opinion, one means more because they played football in High School? Wow... Really? That explains alot about your thought process...

Yup - all that is exactly what I said, right?

You seem to keep harping on the "you think your opinion is worth more than others opinions" crap. Sad thing is, I've never said that.

What I HAVE said is my opinion is worth every bit as much as yours. You seem to not get that. Because I disagree with you, you get upset.

Seems like you have a problem.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I had the opportunity to listen Coach Kerhes of Mount Union speak a week or so ago.
The conversation got around to QBs,what he looks for and grading them.
He defines accuracy as this;
A reciever holds his arm out to his side parallel to the ground,he bends his arms 90 degrees downward at the elbow,then bends 90 degrees upward to form an imaginary box.(It would be nice if I had a visual aid here)
His QBs are assesd on the percentage of passes they throw "in the box" now remember that box moves as the reciever moves and if the reciever has to break his stride,it's not graded as a good pass.AQB with acceptable,not good,accuracy will hit on 75% of his throws,practice and games combined.
As a side note,these are the 5 attributes he looks for in a QB
1.intelligence
2. mental toughness
3. leadership
4.accuracy
5.mobility

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Best decision for Browns could be moving down

Link Copied to Clipboard