Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
I also think that you have to look at each year/player separately. After all, before the Rams found Kurt Warner, there were no guys signed from the checkout line who led their teams to a Super Bowl either. Before Tom Brady there were probably no 6th round QBs who led their team to 5 Super Bowl berths. There are always exceptions, and each player has to be looked at on his own merits.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I also think that you have to look at each year/player separately. After all, before the Rams found Kurt Warner, there were no guys signed from the checkout line who led their teams to a Super Bowl either. Before Tom Brady there were probably no 6th round QBs who led their team to 5 Super Bowl berths. There are always exceptions, and each player has to be looked at on his own merits.

please redirect this thought to the Flynn thread

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Post deleted by Referee2

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Well, I'm glad the Browns hung on to their picks. I could see giving up #22 and #4 to trade up to #2 at most, but anything beyond that is just crazy. The Rams might wind up with two top 10 picks again next year! Insane.

Anyways, I'm guessing that leaves the Browns to go after Matt Flynn. Better hope Peyton goes to Miami soon and strikes a deal so that Flynn loses an option and some leverage.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
SWEET!!!

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I do like Wes Bunting. He puts out good, well thought out pieces. Stuff gleamed from watching tape, not gauged on what other GMs/Scouts are offering.

Slight digression....most of the ESPN people know very little and rely on their connections for their opinions. Once you peel back the onion on these guys, their backgrounds and their jobs now....

I can't think of one that was a legit scout who loved watching football.

Most of these guys like Mort, Shefter, Glazer and Clayton are wannabe gumshoes...guys who came up through journalism, got in with a team, then parlayed that into sources and brokers of inside information.

These aren't guys like Wes Bunting who want to spend time watching football! ugh, blech! football!

These are reporters. That's it. Finito.

There's 1 problem with Bunting...there are tape watchers with a backbone and there are Bunting's

I have follwed his rankings since the 1st day he released them and he has dropped (or upped) some prospects by as much as 1+ point without changing the text...how come? Me thinks he "heard" stuff and changed his rankings accordingly...without explaining any of them...he wants to be a "tape guy" but he's a weather vane as most of the others 1st and foremost

Right or wrong, THIS is a tape guy with a backbone:

http://footballdiner.com/ncaa2012underclassmen2.html

Are you really quoting this guy? LOL http://paul-emery.suite101.com/

So? Did I miss something? He's a nerd, so what...this guy watches tape since the mid-80s, Bunting maybe wasn't even born yet..as I said, he isn't the best, but he actually watches tape and makes his own big board without moving prospects rankings around for no reason and if he does he says why, at least I can respect that...Bunting did and does that all the time..he had several prospects rated 7.0 or even 7.5 who now are 6.0 or lower guys...so he "watches tape" and decides this prospect is really good and gives him a 2nd round grade, then he gets ridiculed by a scout who says said player is a day 3 guy at best and "suddenly" this guy drops to a 6.0 or lower....makes you go hmmm

I like the site, it's useful and Bunting is a useful weather vane, but he has no backbone, it is what it is...youngster has much to learn yet...probably Mangini was reading him when he selected Veikune, as I remember he was the only draftnik who had him even close to his Top50

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Mac, I'd like you and others who believe in that fallacy to explain in detail why that will give Tannehill an edge. Tell me what it exactly is that he's going to understand that the other 31 starting QB's in the NFL won't.

Toad...someone said the following...

“Even though it wasn’t at the quarterback position, I did get experience playing football and seeing the game out there,” he said. “I learned a lot from it, and fortunately I was able to get back to where I wanted to be under center.”
web page

You're quoting Tannehill. That's just

You didn't answer my question. All you did was quote the guy in question.

One personnel executive who agrees that Tannehill is on the right track is Seattle general manager John Schneider, who pointed to Tannehill this week as the perfect example of the kind of player he wants running his offense -- as much an athlete as a quarterback.

"First and foremost, that's what we're looking for," Schneider said on Thursday. "Especially at that position. Guys that have always been in the quarterback schools, the special camps, and all that kind of stuff. They make me a little nervous to a certain extent. This guy is a real football player.
web page

Again, you didn't answer my question. Again, you're spinning.

So I'm going to ask you again: What about playing WR is going to give him inside knowledge that any other NFL QB won't know?

Toad...anyone with a lick of football sense can see why Tannehill's experience at WR might help him become a better QB.

Instead of standing around for 2.5 yrs holding a clipboard, waiting his turn to play QB, Tannehill was gaining "football experience" on the football field. Tannehill not only played WR...he was good at that too, showing that he is more than just a QB...he is an athlete.

More spin, and you still haven't answered the question.

Tannehill improved himself as a football player and an athlete by playing WR rather than holding a clipboard, waiting for the opportunity to play QB.
Redundant spin without answering the question.
As for my comment "Tannehill has a unique perspective as a QB, being a very good WR for his team before returning to the QB position. That experience might lead to his quality of getting the ball out quickly once he sees his target..quick release."

...how could playing QB help Tannehill develop a quick release?...simple, his experience as WR allows him to envision the WRs pass pattern and better anticipate the timing and placement needed to complete the pass.

What, like no other QB in the league can do that?

My bad. I guess only a guy who used to play QB can know how to anticipate a route coming open...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Toad...anyone with a "lick of football sense" can see why Tannehill's experience at WR might help him become a better QB.

It doesn't matter if the QB himself says playing WR helped him become a better QB...toad knows better.

It doesn't matter if an NFL GM explains how Tannehill's experience at WR makes him a better athlete and a better QB...the toad knows better.

...sure toad.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know Mac....and I like Tannehill...his playing couldn't hurt anything, but I don't see how his playing WR is going to make him a better QB.

Cribbs played QB in college and it hasn't made him a better receiver.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I don't know Mac....and I like Tannehill...his playing couldn't hurt anything, but I don't see how his playing WR is going to make him a better QB.

peen...but Cribbs didn't learn both positions in college..he was a QB.

If Cribbs had played well as a WR for 2.5 yrs, then became the team's starting QB, we might be able to make a comparison.

But in the case of Tannehill...if the kid himself says playing WR helped him become a better QB...we have folks on this message board that believe they know more about Tannehill's unique college career than Tannehill, himself knows about his own college career....

...that is just remarkable...

Last edited by mac; 03/13/12 06:51 AM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
..and he would have nothing to gain from making himself sound better

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It certainly is not going to help him anticipate anything, but it will help him relate to his WR's when he talks to them about what they were both seeing on a play.
One could argue that it *might* help him make reads as he's already had to do it to a degree as a WR, but that's pretty thin.

If absolutely nothing else - it is experience, and that can never be overstated.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm relieved we didnt pull that trigger for RG3. Youre not outbidding Snyder! He's a spoiled kid and will not be outdone!

However RG3 turns out I'm not looking at a woulda, coulda, shoulda scenario. I dont choose to live that way.

It's time for this regime though to swing the pendulum to the winning side this year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It certainly is not going to help him anticipate anything, but it will help him relate to his WR's when he talks to them about what they were both seeing on a play.
One could argue that it *might* help him make reads as he's already had to do it to a degree as a WR, but that's pretty thin.

If absolutely nothing else - it is experience, and that can never be overstated.

I don't know if it helps him tremendously, but I am pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head Purp.. it's experience... he has to know a few things that a guy that never played receiver doesn't know.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm curious how you think you know that. It may not have made him a GREAT NFL WR but how do you know it didn't make him better than he would have been? The guy had never played WR in his life and is now a servicable WR in the NFL... Not sure how you can say definitively that some of that success isn't because he played QB in college...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But in the case of Tannehill...if the kid himself says playing WR helped him become a better QB...we have folks on this message board that believe they know more about Tannehill's unique college career than Tannehill, himself knows about his own college career....

I know that he played WR two years because he wasn't a good enough QB to beat out Jerrod Johnson.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Quote:

I'm curious how you think you know that. It may not have made him a GREAT NFL WR but how do you know it didn't make him better than he would have been? The guy had never played WR in his life and is now a servicable WR in the NFL... Not sure how you can say definitively that some of that success isn't because he played QB in college...

STOP USING YOUR BRAIN

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

STOP USING YOUR BRAIN

Please....I'll play Daman....Prove it made him better.

Like I said in my first post, it couldn't hurt anything which is my quick way of saying what Purp said....it is experience. And sure, as DC said, maybe it helps when talking to the QB or receivers, and something not mentioned, it is terminology...at least you are talking it and thinking it.

But...I still don't think it makes him a better QB....playing the position does.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm relieved we didnt pull that trigger for RG3. Youre not outbidding Snyder! He's a spoiled kid and will not be outdone!

However RG3 turns out I'm not looking at a woulda, coulda, shoulda scenario. I dont choose to live that way.

It's time for this regime though to swing the pendulum to the winning side this year.

This.

If Snyder decides he wants someone, then he will get him. Outbidding him (if we even had that option) was not going to be easy. If we would have been given a chance to match his offer and decided to do so, then the Rams would have gone back to him and he would have thrown in another pick.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Please....I'll play Daman....Prove it made him better.

Now your talkin

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ways in which playing receiver will help a QB

1. When flushed he becomes a 6-4 225lb receiver out in the flat not just a stumbling bumbling Qb. He will also understand how to use the blockers out in front of him more than a normal QB.

2. Not afraid to take the big hit to catch the ball. Not afraid to take the big hit to throw the ball.

3. Excellent balance and footwork. Nothing is worse than a flat footed QB. The footwork drills they go through has to translate.

4. I would think it would certainly give a better understanding of the routes the receivers are going to run, if you have been running them yourself.

5. I think it will be also be much easier to relate to the ego's of the NFL receiver since Tannehill was a very good college receiver in his own right

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Ways in which playing receiver will help a QB

1. When flushed he becomes a 6-4 225lb receiver out in the flat not just a stumbling bumbling Qb. He will also understand how to use the blockers out in front of him more than a normal QB.

haha, yeah...most other NFL QB's are bumbling idiots who probably cant dress themselves.

2. Not afraid to take the big hit to catch the ball. Not afraid to take the big hit to throw the ball.

Who said he isnt afraid to take a hit (Little anyone?)...If its true that might change once he is wearing QB pads.

3. Excellent balance and footwork. Nothing is worse than a flat footed QB. The footwork drills they go through has to translate.

see point #1

4. I would think it would certainly give a better understanding of the routes the receivers are going to run, if you have been running them yourself.

These change, I doubt he'll be running the same routes once he gets drafted

5. I think it will be also be much easier to relate to the ego's of the NFL receiver since Tannehill was a very good college receiver in his own right

This is a stretch and a half..

Last edited by Arps; 03/13/12 09:57 AM.
Legend
Legend
I will just say that I don't think playing WR is that big of a deal. There might be some peripheral benefit to his understanding of the position but it's not a huge deal... I think the biggest positive about it is that it speaks to his athleticism. In fact, I'd MUCH rather have a couple more years of QB film to watch on him than a couple years of WR film to get an understanding of whether I think he can play at the next level...

And I think those who are trying to make it a big deal are just looking for reasons to rationalize taking him higher than we probably should because they are starved to get a QB... any QB...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It all started because I said he had 50 starts 30 of which just happened to be at receiver. It isn't the greatest experience but it is experience and there are some positives to be taken from it. Now the RG3 devotees took it upon themselves to rip anything and everything said about Tannehill.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand that. I just don't buy in to needing more film as some do. Sure it would be great, but the film doesn't tell me much. I am sure a few around here know more about it than I do, but I doubt they know as much as Heck or Homie.

If they like what they see, I don't have a problem taking him at #4....I'd rather it be later, but if he rates out, he won't be there later.

I am not sure how often teams simply reach because of need. There has to be something there that makes them bite.

Is 4 to early?? Sure if the guy ends up being drafted in the l20's. It's not if he is drafted at 15 or before. It would be nice if the player you draft matches exactly to the board you have in hand, but as we all know, it doesn't always work out that way.

QB is the only position i think it's OK to let need dictate a early pick. There just aren't that many of them. Yopu want one, you have to go get him. We just saw that with RGIII.

The team wants a QB. We just demonstrated that. We can't now simply say we are now good with Colt. Nothing has changed there. So what do we do now, Wait for next year to go all in for Barkley?? It will be even more expensive since we will improve some this season....(crossed fingers)

If Tannehill rates out in our eyes as a top 15 QB, then we better just go ahead and get him. It would be nice to move down a few slots, but if we can't, just do it.

I am not making any real commentary on his play because I don't know that much about it, so I don't need you coming back talking about footwork because as great a guy as you are, you don't know much about it either(probably less that I

)

Look at it this way, if we take him and Colt starts to shine, we can always dump Tannehill for a 1st round pick...2nd at worst. Other teams do it. So can we

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Mourg, like I posted earlier, I want to like Tannehill since we may be getting him. I asked if someone would please post some video of him looking like a first round prospect.

My comment about him losing his QB competition at his own school for two years to a QB who is currently an NFL third stringer is just a fact, and would give me enough reason to be hesitant to take him in the first round, let alone at 4. Watching his performance in the NW and Arkansas games only reinforced my concerns about him.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 03/13/12 10:34 AM.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
to you Mourg for being able to answer the question. While I'm going to argue your thoughts, you did what Mac couldn't do on multiple occasions.

Quote:

His natural ability was what gave him the ability to transition to WR in the first place. Griffin never played WR but his natural instincts make him a good runner. Speed has a way of doing that. Besides, he isn't going to be a great or bad QB based on his running. He's going to make-or-break based on his throwing.

Quote:

I haven't seen anything that said he isn't afraid to take a big hit. In fact, one of his knocks is that he falters under pressure. Besides, the good QB's in the NFL aren't afraid to stand in the pocket, and I'm fairly confident Bernie Kosar never played receiver. Can you imagine?

I can actually argue that because he's spent time at WR and not time at QB, these things have not been instilled into him. Can you suggest he is less afraid to be tackled? Ok, I can get on board with that. However, being tackled isn't the same as standing in the face of a blitz when you're unprotected and delivering the ball. That isn't something he has experience with, which I can argue stems from his time wasted as a WR.

Quote:

I disagree with that. He doesn't have excellent balance and footwork for a QB. He takes extra steps and has wasted motion in his throws more than he should. The footwork and agility drills for WR's and RB's are different than the agility drills QB's go through. So again, I can argue that his time as a WR has left him without the experience needed to fine-tune his mechanics.

Quote:

That's a thin one, Mourg. From a QB's standpoint, he doesn't need to have been in a receivers shoes to know when a receiver is supposed to break, whether or not a receiver is covered, and whether or not he has timing and anticipation with his receiver.

Put another way, what the receiver has to do to get open has no bearing on whether or not the QB makes a decision to throw the ball....unless he's throwing to himself.

Quote:

Your first three were good arguments, though I disagree. You started reaching on #4 and #5, hehe.

NFL receivers aren't going to give a rats-ass if he played receiver. They will only care if he's a good leader and can make the throws.

Good discussion though.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It all started because I said he had 50 starts 30 of which just happened to be at receiver. It isn't the greatest experience but it is experience and there are some positives to be taken from it. Now the RG3 devotees took it upon themselves to rip anything and everything said about Tannehill.

Well, I dunno if you're lumping me in with that crowd or not (I didn't see me named specifically so ) but in general terms, I'm arguing against two things with Tannehill:

1) I argue where he should get drafted. I view him as a 2nd round guy, not a first rounder, and certainly not a high first rounder.

2) I'm arguing whether or not his time as a WR gives him an edge to other QB's. Keep in mind that's how I got involved in the discussion.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In fact, one of his knocks is that he falters under pressure.

IF you provided a link to that statement it would lead to Ytown's house lol.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

In fact, one of his knocks is that he falters under pressure.

IF you provided a link to that statement it would lead to Ytown's house lol.

Legend
Legend
Yep. Let's see .... I want so desperately to have great players on the Browns that it actually hurts ...... and I see us chasing mediocrity and worse in some cases. (like the supposed offer to Flynn)

It's no wonder we lose every damn year. There is one position in the NFL that is absolutely vital to a team's success, and we shop in the bargain bin year after year. What absolutely stuns me is that so many fans are just perfectly fine with that.

Yea us.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Flynn stuff all goes back to the same SunSentinel story from Miami. I will believe heckert in his saying that he wasn't going to go after the big names.

Legend
Legend
but as some will put out, 2 NFL starts does not necessarily translate into a "big name".

#GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Yep. Let's see .... I want so desperately to have great players on the Browns that it actually hurts ......

YTown, does it hurt so bad you are going to cry? Seriously man, pick yourself up and pull yourself together! Get a grip, Griffin is gone! Have patience and faith because there is nothing you can do to change it. This is their plan and we will be fine.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yep. Let's see .... I want so desperately to have great players on the Browns that it actually hurts ......

YTown, does it hurt so bad you are going to cry? Seriously man, pick yourself up and pull yourself together! Get a grip, Griffin is gone! Have patience and faith because there is nothing you can do to change it. This is their plan and we will be fine.

Classy.

yeah, their plan has now produced 5-11 and 4-12 ...... pardon me if I'm not bowled over with the astonishing pace of improvement.

As far as your smart ass image .... you can stick it.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I seen a positive spin out of you the other day(followed up by a negative one) but it was good reading. I have to admit, I am tired of all the negativity not just from you. Try looking at the positives for once or comment on something positive. I can't tell you how to post but not sure you even realize the extent of it. All this worrying could be for not. We could have a killer draft, Put together a nice year 2 in the WC, and benefit from the experience and addition of a OC. Don't get all bent out of shape for stuff that those guys get paid to do for a living. Right or wrong they are doing it their way and we will see if it works. This is the first time I feel like we have some competent people and everyone is on the same page and I think this is it. I understand how passionate you are as I am but the fun is watching it come together and if you look there is a lot of pieces in place and I don't think we are far off especially after a strong draft this year.

Last edited by LOYALDAWG; 03/13/12 11:28 PM.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Like it or not, there's not a whole lot of "positive" coming out of Berea.

There isn't a lot of great play on the field, and it has been, in fact, abysmal for quite some time.

As far as "watching it come together" .... well, we don't know what we've seen so far. If you go by record, it's been the same manure shoveling exercise that we've seen to decades. Adding a guy like Flynn as the centerpiece to our off-season doesn't exactly instill me with a great deal of hope. I honestly cannot figure out how it could make anyone really hopeful. However ..... this is what we are reduced to ..... hoping that our team can sign a guy who has been a career backup in both college and the pros ....... to be our starter. Pardon me if I don't see that as terribly hopeful.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

What I want to know about Ytown & 'peen & a few others on suicide watch, is this: What Don't You Not Understand About Building Thru The Draft?

H&H have already came out & said we were not going to make a big splash in FA.

Rumors about RGIII are just that Rumors. I don't think we were all that thrilled about him. I think we made a token offer & left it there. Which is good. We are building thru the draft, and you don't do that giving away your draft picks, not when you need as much as we do.

Oh Yeah, Did I mention we are building thru the draft?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Suicide watch? Really?

Got any more personally insulting responses to throw out there?

I have a question.

What do you expect our record to be next year? What is acceptable to you? How long should we build before we see a payoff, and maybe even a division title?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Noone wants to hear but we have a target QB in the draft. He just isn't the one most wants but he is the one that is the right fit for this system.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Rams/Redskins Trade Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard