Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Griffin's situation is very much a great example of what's going to happen with Flynn.

Manning was always the 1st prize for every team wanting to upgrade the QB position except for the Colts. That made Griffin back-page news which lowered his perceived value by us, the fans, and the "break glass in case of emergency" guy for other teams. When the Deadskins realized they had no shot at Manning, they jumped out of their shoes to get Griffin. Only then was his actual value revealed.

That is what's about to happen with Flynn.

There isn't much talk about him right now because of Manning and Griffin. Therefore people are getting this impression that his contract isn't going to be that big. Once teams lose out on Manning, suddenly Flynn is going to be the "IT" guy and there's going to be a bidding war. If Manning goes to either Denver or Arizona, the Dolphins are going to make a BIG push to get Flynn. That's going to be a bigger contract than I think most expect. I think that's gonna (mercifully) drive us out of the Flynn sweepstakes. Unfortunately, that makes me think we're going to badly overpay to acquire Tannehill.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I actually thought he might do SOMETHING in Oakland, But him and Gradkowski both had a small sample size of success as backups there... The "gamer" types always seem to have a few good games, then nothing else...

That's why they're backups...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If this plays out like you said it looks more and more possible that we're "stuck" with McCoy for another season...even if we do overdraft Tannehill, which I doubt we'll do...Heckert is too much a BPA fanatic to pull the trigger at 4...it would take another rank pull by Holmgren imho...if he drops to 22, he'll feel much more comfortable

Thinking about Flynn...there's no way I want him on my team unless Peyton goes to the Phins...why? If Miami loses out on Peyton and Philbin does not want Flynn, then I don't want him too, lol

Me thinks we'll bring in an Orton or, best case, Campbell to push Colt and draft either Weeden or Cousins or Lindley (would be a typical Holmgren target) in the mid rounds

Missing out on RG3 really was a bummer for us...of all stupid owners why did we have to bid against the "the next Al Davis"..any other FO would have decided that it makes little sense to compete with our position and picks and we wold have gotten him

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
wouldn't you expect that.. I mean he's had what, 3 or 4 years in the same system as a back up? he better be better than Colt McCoy in every aspect

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
With the damned feeding-frenzy that's happening on QB's right now, I think 22 is too high for Tannehill, but that we'd have to trade UP to get him.

Seahawks wanted Manning and Griffin. They'll get neither. I think they'd freak out and overpay for Flynn, but that the Phish would have first dibs. That leaves them and us for Tannehill, which means a trade-up.

Ugh.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Legend
Legend
N
I agree. As long as we can get out of it, then we have a 1year or 2year investment in time (and it's going to be ~$10mil/season based on current rates). Well, right now, we don't have anyone who we would be wasting that investment on next year, so we might as well see if Flynn is the real-deal IMO.

The only argument against is if Colt is better than he has shown. If so, then we would be taking up that cap space for a QB when we could be using it for another need (or needs). I am not confident enough in Colt to not have another plan in place going into the season. I don't like any of the other QBs in the draft or FA to start right away. So, that leaves Flynn.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
if Miami is really a QB away, maybe they sign Flynn and draft Tannehill.

Legend
Legend
And I still don't see what Flynn has done to elicit such confidence in his future.

DA once threw 5 TD passes against the Bengals in route to us winning 51-45.

He also went 18-25, 72% with 3 TDs in back to back games against St Louis and Miami.

Flynn is "the backup QB". He is the guy teams face when Aaron Rodgers gets a day off. If anyone doesn't believe that this alone isn't a huge psychological advantage then I don't know what game they have been watching.

The Lions sucked on defense last year. Then they got a break and didn't have to face Rodgers. No on can tell me that they didn't do a collective "whew", and figure that they were in for a cakewalk. They figured that teir C rated defense could play its collective C game and waltz to victory. Once a team enters a game turned off like that it's hard for them to turn it back on again.

I just have a really, really hard time putting our future in the hands of a guy who has thrown less than 600 passes in the last 8 years combined. I have a major problem with putting our future in the hands of a guy who was deeply flawed entering the league, and who has played 2 or 3 total games since then. Now maybe I'm wrong, and he has picked up tons of good stuff by osmosis ...... but I would not be willing to bet our future on it. This is especially true when teams, inevitably, go stupid in the bidding for this guy. I bet he gets a 5 year, $60 million deal, or some other idiotic amount.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

AZ gave up the 2nd most sacks last year
Miami was the worst at sacks per dropback

Denver was a bit better (and much better when factoring in alot of Tebows sacks were him running around waiting on something to happen downfield), they have the cap space to go and get him weapons, and a good HC.

I'm starting to see why he is leaning the Broncos way (though I don't know why he isn't considering KC too)

I agree with you. I'm surprised he isn't looking at Seattle too. OL was decimated with injuries last year, but has a really good, young nucleus - a very good back in Lynch, and a decent to very good WR corps (assuming Rice is healthy, Baldwin isn't a 1 year wonder, and BMW goes back to his 2010 form). Seattle had 36m of space before cutting Marcus Trufant (~7m), so they have plenty of space as well.

Legend
Legend
I just think that Denver is the best fit for Manning from a talent standpoint ...... plus they have a coaching staff who are absolutely willing to adjust their offense to whatever their players do best. I think that ensures that Manning would have major input, and would not be a round peg hammered into a square hole.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

N
Legend
Legend
N
and DA didn't have those as his first 2 games where that was all someone had to go off of.

noone is saying Flynn is without risk (no matter how many times you try to say others are saying it).

noone is saying to give Flynn a huge guaranteed deal that locks us in with him (no matter how many times you try to say others are saying it).

what a few of us are saying is that Flynn might be the best available guy to give a shot at starting and see if he has it. if that takes 1year and $10mil (no matter what the media reports his contract is "worth), then so be it. nothing more, nothing less.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Actually he played a few games the previous year ...... but it's not that hard to imagine that those could have been the games someone would have had to go off of.

I mean, imagine that he would have had a few decent game, then the Bengals, Rams, and Fins games to end a free agent year. How insane would the bidding have been?

I'm not saying that Flynn absolutely, positively will not be any good ...... I mean there is always a chance that he could go Kurt Warner on someone ....... but the odds are pretty long against it.

N
Legend
Legend
N
but he didn't. Derek Anderson played in almost 4 full games and had 5TDs 8INTs and a 63 QBrating. yes, you can pick any QB and say that if they had their best 2 games of their career and hit FA, then they would have made good money. heck, that even would apply to Brady Quinn.

so, yes, it's possible that due to the team/weapons and opponents that Flynn has already had his 2 best career games. given our other options at this point, I'm willing to bet he has not (and if he has, then what did we really waste other than 1 year that we weren't using anyway and some $$$)?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Michael Lombardi said the Browns were the favorite to land Flynn. So there is no ZERO chance of Flynn joining the Browns.

Last week the Browns were the favorites to land RG3 according to Lombardi.

Last year, the Browns were the favorite to land Kevin Kolb according to Lombardi.

Legend
Legend
Heckert all but said that we weren't going to pursue Flynn ..... so if we do it means that we have gotten really desperate.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lombardi likes to act like he has connections in Cleveland because he was here 2 decades ago. No idea why he has a job on NFLN.

Locanfora seems to have some Holmgren connections. He has hit on a few things.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

(and if he has, then what did we really waste other than 1 year that we weren't using anyway and some $$$)

If we sign him to a big deal, and he gets us one or two (or even zero) more wins than we would have with colt, we're pretty much locked into at least a second year with him, and probably out of the running for the top QBs next year.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Heckert all but said that we weren't going to pursue Flynn ..... so if we do it means that we have gotten really desperate.

That is a possibility at this point in time. Look at where we sit, we basically just threw McCoy so far under the bus with that trade attempt how do you go backwards and say "no really champ, you're our guy. Go get 'em ace!" like nothing happened? Compound that with how we arrogantly declared zero interest in one of THE greatest QB's in NFL history and the fact their masterplan to trade away our best picks for the next two years to draft Graham Harrell 2.0.

At this point they HAVE to be panicked quite a bit. Going off Lerners comments a few months ago they used Colt as this years scapegoat and sold Lerner on this last season falling apart thanks to the QB, but we're going to grab a good one Randy don't you worry. Their office chairs have to be getting a tad warm at this point.

Personally i'm cool with a shot on Flynn. I don't see what other option there is but to throw major bank at Matt Flynn. Draft Tannehill? Best case scenario he's ready after sitting on the bench for a few seasons. A later round guy? Whelp, we tried that one the last time the Rams stood in the way of us grabbing a highly rated prospect. I guess we could try that again but it's risky. Pull a Colts this upcoming season to ensure we can draft Barkley? Well that would be my choice, crazy as it sounds. This is the 4th year we've been out of position and unable to grab the QB we want because we pull out just enough wins to get ourselves out of the running. The Colts understood the game and one horrible, 1 win season is a small price to pay to get your guy. Unlikely we do but that's how i'd play it.

So that leaves us back at.... Matt Flynn. I highly doubt we land him but I hope we at least try. We've gotta try. God help us if we watch Flynn head to Miami and Manning to AZ only to give Kolb one final shot because Heckert was so convinced he drafted a franchise QB that he was willing to offer two 1st rounders to the Eagles for Kolb at one point. Of course Kolb and Wallace.... That probably would be just the ticket to enter the Matt Barkley sweepstakes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That is a possibility at this point in time. Look at where we sit, we basically just threw McCoy so far under the bus with that trade attempt how do you go backwards and say "no really champ, you're our guy. Go get 'em ace!" like nothing happened? Compound that with how we arrogantly declared zero interest in one of THE greatest QB's in NFL history and the fact their masterplan to trade away our best picks for the next two years to draft Graham Harrell 2.0.

I don't think it'll kill Colt's psych, look at the Chargers and Drew Brees. He handled it just fine, except the Chargers actually got the guy looking over Brees' back

Colt knows the NFL is a competition. Do you think his psychee is that fragile?

Edit:
Quote:

So that leaves us back at.... Matt Flynn. I highly doubt we land him but I hope we at least try. We've gotta try. God help us if we watch Flynn head to Miami and Manning to AZ only to give Kolb one final shot because Heckert was so convinced he drafted a franchise QB that he was willing to offer two 1st rounders to the Eagles for Kolb at one point. Of course Kolb and Wallace.... That probably would be just the ticket to enter the Matt Barkley sweepstakes.

I follow the Browns very close, when did we offer the Eagles two 1st rounders?

Your theory just seems ridiculous to me. I don't think the Browns are panicking to find a QB at all. Just because we try to upgrade QB by trying to get RG3 (and we have no real idea for sure what was offered for him, just a report from Adam Schefter that keeps getting quoted by journalists as fact). There's truth to it, we definitely tried to trade up for RG3, but what we offered, we only know is less in perceived value than what the Skins offered.....

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/13/12 12:11 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Unless he was keeping his true plans a secret. Or he could have a plan B. OR things change and he adapted by creating a new plan.

You may view the FO as a group of blind, drunk morons....but these guys got very far in the NFL with their brains, I doubt they stopped working when their plane landed in Cleveland.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

I don't think it'll kill Colt's psych, look at the Chargers and Drew Brees. He handled it just fine, except the Chargers actually got the guy looking over Brees' back

Colt knows the NFL is a competition. Do you think his psychee is that fragile?

Taking into consideration that Shurmur made comments last preseason about how Colt would wince and turtle up his head scared of being yelled at for making a mistake and taking into consideration he spent half the season crying about how mean Mangini was and how they weren't his buddy... Not to mention having his dad take up his battle for him during concussiongate... Yes, yes I do think his psyche is THAT fragile.

Quote:

I follow the Browns very close, when did we offer the Eagles two 1st rounders?

Did I say that he tried to? No. Heckert STATED that he was WILLING to and WOULD HAVE, including in the past had the Falcons hired him as their GM. Kolb is a Heckert guy and as we've seen with Gocong and that contract he received Heckert is partial to guys he's drafted, even when they don't pan out.

Legend
Legend
Gocong was solid for the second half of last year...

We didn't pay him JUST because Heckart drafted him.. You can't succeed as an NFL GM conducting business that way...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If this somehow shatters McCoy, then he is 100% the wrong guy to be a starting QB in the NFL. Personally I don't think it will. I don't think that he will ever be more than he has shown, but I don't think that he's weak like that.

At this point, I think that it is most likely that he will be our starting QB come game 1 at this point.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Or it means Heckert misdirected everyone.. Why does it have to be negative?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

YT...do you really believe Heckert is going to tip his hand to the local media and fans, what the Browns strategy in free agency and the draft would be?

You and I do not rank high enough to have a "need to know".

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/K....

Just a reminder...Kolb was the talented unproven QB last year everybody wanted & needed to reach the playoffs....Well that didnt work out and this year he's looking to be released, replaced traded ect...Now were looking at Flynn thru those same eyes and next march were gonna be looking for someone else and a new named player will be the greatest since sliced bread....not saying nothing but just be carefull, ya you gotta swing to to get a hit, but sometimes its ok to let one go bye...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

J/K....

Just a reminder...Kolb was the talented unproven QB last year everybody wanted & needed to reach the playoffs....Well that didnt work out and this year he's looking to be released, replaced traded ect...Now were looking at Flynn thru those same eyes and next march were gonna be looking for someone else and a new named player will be the greatest since sliced bread....not saying nothing but just be carefull, ya you gotta swing to to get a hit, but sometimes its ok to let one go bye...

clay...is it wise to "stereotype" every free agent qb due to Kolb's experience last season?

If Kolb didn't work out for the Cards, it means all free agent QBs in the future will not work out??

V
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
V
If Flynn, Tannehill, and Weeden are our "Plan B" options, I like Flynn the best. My reason is, the three all have similar skill sets but Flynn wouldn't cost a draft pick. And since he has shown a small sample-size of success, the question about him is if he can be a starter. With the other two being rookies, the questions around them start at, "Can they play in the NFL?".

So I say offer starter money at Flynn, maybe even up the bonus a bit to entice him to sign while Miami hangs in Manning limbo. Sure we don't know how he translates into a starter, but the same could be said for anyone we'd draft.

Go Orange Helmeted Sportsmen of America!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not sure they are "Plan B", RG3 just happened first. Flynn might have been the priority target all along, but if RG3 happened at our price that was good too...

Same story different angles.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

.... or simply a smoke screen.....

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

J/K....

yeah, i hear ya, but Kolb was the west coast QB stuck into a different offense without an offseason to figure it out. Square peg round hole.... So things are different with Flynn, he has been in a complicated west coast attack his entire career. That is a benefit. That is probably a main draw on Tannehill as well. At least Flynn has practiced against NFL defenses, the college QB's are just a guess at how they will transition. I don't have a problem bringing in Flynn on a contract similiar to what Kolb signed last year, if the browns don't like what we see then its a one year deal, cut bait and move on.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

clay...is it wise to "stereotype" every free agent qb due to Kolb's experience last season?

If Kolb didn't work out for the Cards, it means all free agent QBs in the future will not work out??

Haven't you used the same logic to discredit high draft picks? That if Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell didn't work out then we should be very leary of drafting any QB high... if it wasn't you, a lot of people have.

I would say that the odds of taking a FA QB who showed a little promise in brief stints has probably less of a chance at being really successful than drafting a QB high in the first round. I can't remember more than a few of those "flash in the pan" FA QBs who go get a big contract actually working out..

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

J/K....

Kolb wasn't nearly as unproven as Flynn. And he put up almost exactly the same numbers for AZ that he did in Philly. This being in a new offense w/ no offseason, etc.

So, if Flynn does the same thing (put up the same numbers in Cleveland that he did in GB), then sign me up.

Note: Flynn is not going to put up the same numbers. that's just silly

#gmstrong
W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Flynn/Kolb? Flynn would cost more with less experience. Kolb's stock is down and would probably be a cheaper option...I would wait for Kolb or stick with Colt! JMHO Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns and the Miami Dolphins are negotiating with free-agent quarterback Matt Flynn and will soon be exchanging contract offers with his agent, Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel wrote on Twitter tonight.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Flynn, 26, spent the past four seasons as the Green Bay Packers' backup quarterback. He has only two NFL starts on his resume, though he stood out in both of them.

In the Packers' 2011 regular-season finale against the Detroit Lions, Flynn completed 31-of-44 passes for 480 yards and six touchdowns with one interception. In a regular-season game against the New England Patriots in 2010, Flynn completed 24-of-37 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns with two interceptions. He is 1-1 as a starter.

Will the Browns be willing to pay Flynn, a seventh-round draft pick (209th overall) in 2008, the substantial salary he's expected to command, even though he's unproven over the long haul?

General Manager Tom Heckert has said the Browns probably won't sign a big-name quarterback in free agency, but perhaps the organization will choose to pursue Flynn after falling short in its reported push for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Even if the Browns go after Flynn, Sports Illustrated's Don Banks believes they're ranked third among his potential suitors.

"Cleveland will be the No. 3 spot for Flynn, but not sure he would go there unless he gets no decent offers from Miami or Seattle," Banks wrote on Twitter this evening.

Stay tuned.

Akron-Beacon Journal

Negotiating and close to a deal are two different things. Also, saying "We'll give you [some amount of money] at that's it." is negotiating as well. We should sign Flynn if he takes a low contract, but the Dolphins will probably offer more and have a better situation for him.

Legend
Legend
Are the fins prepared to offer a big contract if they are still waiting on Manning?

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
They could have been told they are out of the running.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dolphins & Browns Negotiating A Contract With QB Matt Flynn

Written By: Nathan Rivera
|

March 13, 2012
|

Posted In:

Browns
Dolphins
Packers
Seahawks

Omar Kelly reports that the Miami Dolphins and the Cleveland Browns are currently negotiating a contract with Packers QB Matt Flynn. Kelly expects both teams to submit official offers in the near future.

It appears as though the market for Flynn is moving very quickly and I’m sure he’s happy about that considering that he’ll probably get a pretty sizable deal in the process.

——————

According to Don Banks of SI.com, Packers QB Matt Flynn is looking at the Miami Dolphins and the Seattle Seahawks as the most likely landing spots at this point in time.

“Seattle and Miami are going to be Matt Flynn‘s market, and whichever one doesn’t get him probably becomes Ryan Tannehill’s next team,” mentions Banks.

That’s probably the case but you’d have to add the Browns to the list of suitors for both players. We have Flynn as the #21 best available free agent in our Top 50 Free Agents list. web page

Legend
Legend
They could also be good with adding either....and if they can add one now and ensure they don't miss out on both....I'm sure they're ok.

I guess it would be similar to watching two items on eBay that end near the same time. If you can close the deal on the first one, then you're set. Sure, the 2nd might end cheaper, but it could also be way too pricey depending on the amount of bidders. Get the one you can, when you can....and act like you wanted that one all along.

Young unknown versus an old, injured super star. Not an easy choice.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Are the fins prepared to offer a big contract if they are still waiting on Manning?

The fins are in between a rock and a hard place, as of now, not knowing whether they are in the Manning hunt or not. But Flynn might afford the Dolphins time enough to find out about Manning.

If Flynn wants to play under Philbin, he will wait, negotiating with other teams while he waits.

Flynn is in total control of where he will play.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum New Flynn Thread - yeah

Link Copied to Clipboard