Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Mourgrym #673259 03/22/12 10:40 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Over at Walter football, here is his projection and write up on where we go with our 1st pick.

Cleveland Browns: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
The Browns blew it. They absolutely blew it. They had a chance to move up for Robert Griffin in exchange for Nos. 4 and 22, as well as a first-rounder next year. That was the correct price to pay for a franchise quarterback. Mike Holmgren doesn't realize that for some reason, and that's why Cleveland will continue to dwell in the AFC North cellar.

So, let's recap. The Browns whiffed on Young Griff. Peyton Manning didn't want to sign with them. Neither did Matt Flynn. Kevin Kolb and Matt Hasselbeck weren't available because Manning didn't sign with Arizona or Tennessee. Because of this, Cleveland absolutely has to draft Ryan Tannehill at No. 4.

There's really no question about it. Will any Cleveland fans be in the stands when their team is 1-4 with Colt McCoy at the helm? Absolutely not. The Browns, under any circumstances, cannot go into the 2012 season with McCoy as the sole option. They need a franchise quarterback, and Tannehill, a consensus top-12 prospect because of the demand for signal-callers, can no longer be considered a reach. If the Dolphins are dying for him to fall to No. 8, then Cleveland can absolutely take him at No. 4.

Tannehill is a good fit for this offense anyway. I believe that Holmgren and the rest of the front office will talk themselves into drafting him. They may not want to right now, but they'll fall in love with his potential over the next month. I know what Holmgren said about sticking with McCoy. As I tweeted @walterfootball, "I don't believe that Holmgren is fully committed to Colt McCoy. He doth protest too much. Ryan Tannehill's a viable option for #Browns."web page

Thought I would post Peen's article over here.

Everyone else is catching up with me lol

Mourgrym #673260 03/22/12 10:43 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just to be clear, it isn't my article. I do agree with it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Mourgrym #673261 03/22/12 11:12 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If Heckert is stupid enough to draft Tannehill at four, then he deserves to be fired.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But we've not heard it being a stupid move among NFL circles. In fact, the stuff you see has had him as a second rounder, to a late first, to inside the top 12.

Somebody thinks highly of the guy.

1oldMutt #673263 03/22/12 11:23 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

But we've not heard it being a stupid move among NFL circles. In fact, the stuff you see has had him as a second rounder, to a late first, to inside the top 12.

That's fine, but remember that there is a reason before the season that Tannehill was graded low.

Drafting a project QB in the top 5 is not a smart move for a football team starving for talent.

you had a good run Hank.
1oldMutt #673264 03/22/12 11:26 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I think the only people that believe he is a 2nd rounder are Browns fans that are still pouting over not getting Luck and RG3. Hell most of them didnt even want RG3 until they were told we couldnt get him lol Kid is top 15 talent in any draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was RG3 on anybodies radar?

I'd hoped RT would be there at 22 early on, that obviously aint happening now.

Do I want him at 4?...Eh...I want a real contributor at that spot. But I aint H&H.
If they go that route and he works out great! If not, it spells their walking papers
and extends fans and teams miseries.

1oldMutt #673266 03/22/12 11:30 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I've followed his career since he was a freshman. Yes, he was on my radar.

Quote:

Do I want him at 4?...Eh...I want a real contributor at that spot. But I aint H&H.
If they go that route and he works out great! If not, it spells their walking papers

The fact that there is such a hit or miss with that pick is the reason I do not want him, especially when you have great talents around with that pick. This team needs a lot of talent still, not just at the QB position. If they reach for a need rather than drafting the best player available, then I'd be very upset.

you had a good run Hank.
1oldMutt #673267 03/22/12 11:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The thing that has held Tannehill's stock from gaining any momentum is the fact that he was not able to play in the SR. bowl or workout at the Combine and he has yet to have his pro-day.

[Linked Image]

1oldMutt #673268 03/22/12 11:38 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For the record, those places are not "NFL circles", either. They are simply draft sites... people who make a living putting together mock drafts. That is not "NFL circles"... not even Mayock or whatshisname at BSPN. These places also keep their traffic to their sites up by routinely changing their mocks and having players move up and down their board - mostly for no reason at all..

...and I'm pretty sure we don't have actual NFL GM's letting it be known what THEY think about players and rounds.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Mourgrym #673269 03/22/12 11:51 AM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I think the only people that believe he is a 2nd rounder are Browns fans that are still pouting over not getting Luck and RG3. Hell most of them didnt even want RG3 until they were told we couldnt get him lol Kid is top 15 talent in any draft.

Since you didn't exclude me by name, you're including me.

People are too hung up on his tools. To my eye, he has too many question marks for a guy taken in the top-15. I view him in the same light as Brady Quinn: Overhyped college QB who is a long-term project.

There are too many red-flags that underlie his tools. Not enough experience. Shoddy mechanics and footwork. Non-special comp percentage in an offense tailor-made to absolutely blow teams away. And when you compare what he did to what RG3 did, well, he's not in the same class as a passer. I'm also not at all buying that he ran something close to what we'll run here. He NEVER went through progressions. That's an absolute necessity in the NFL.

Will he go in the 1st round? Sure. Do I personally think he should? Hell no. Browns at #4? Shoot me now.

I don't wanna be the team that takes the booby-prize QB because we lost out on the others...

edit: Ok, Mourg. You've forced me to pull out all the stops man, hehe. I'm going to have to bring out all the big guns for this one:

Every player I've put in my sig has suffered the fate of the ToadCurse. Couch, Frye, Edwards, Winslow, and finally Colt. Well, it's time because outside of debate, it's the one ace-in-the-hole I have left...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Mourgrym #673270 03/22/12 12:43 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

you'd have to say I have been pretty consistent throughout the college season and since on him not being a 1st rounder, no?

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

If Heckert is stupid enough to draft Tannehill at four, then he deserves to be fired.

To the 10th power

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

For the record, those places are not "NFL circles", either. They are simply draft sites... people who make a living putting together mock drafts. That is not "NFL circles"... not even Mayock or whatshisname at BSPN. These places also keep their traffic to their sites up by routinely changing their mocks and having players move up and down their board - mostly for no reason at all..

...and I'm pretty sure we don't have actual NFL GM's letting it be known what THEY think about players and rounds.

Whathisname! Love it!

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
just means you have been more wrong than everyone else :P lol

Mourgrym #673274 03/22/12 01:26 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
if we do end up drafting him, then I sure hope so

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of Barkley. AT this point I am hopeful that some kid puts it all together next year like Griffin did this year, and that we can get into position to take him. Barring that ...... maybe I just hope that we get lucky with a QB. I have this sinking feeling that this was our year ....... and that we'll be looking, and stretching, for a QB in years to come, and settling for bums like Brady Quinn .....

The best thing that could happen is for Colt McCoy to prove you wrong.. not because I want to all over you.. But because, if he proves you wrong, the team will be improved and the team wouldn't have to spend a ton of picks or money to grab someone else that may or may not work out

Now you are going to come back and say,, "NEVER HAPPEN" and I'll say,, RG3 might turn out to be a bum..... and we'd both have a point...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
OverToad #673276 03/22/12 02:43 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go all in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"

So....

Just remember that I'm more an Adrianna Lima guy than a Jessica Simpson guy.

And I'll have the B&B with me on the flight over.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #673277 03/22/12 02:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go all in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"

So....

And I'll have the B&B with me on the flight over.

Who was the sicilian you speak of.........

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Damanshot #673279 03/22/12 02:57 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Me

Toad offered a golf vacation replete with female companionship if Tannehill was drafted at 4. I made that prediction a month ago and said Holmgren will figure out how to explain it to the fanbase later.

Now that's not looking like too bad a prediction.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #673280 03/22/12 03:28 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I haven't the time to follow college ball,so I don't get involved with who will go where.
But,I come to believe one thing,with the new labor agreement there's been a shift in the way teams now value draft spots.
Before,drafting a questionable QB high,huge salary plus lost pick,could set your team back multiple years.
Now,because of the salary structure,it's just another pick,a gamble yes,but only slightly more than any other pick.
Therefore I believe there will be QBs taken in 1st round,some way higher than they should be.The risk isn't that great,but the reward is still the same.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Damanshot #673281 03/22/12 03:36 PM
Legend
Legend
I would be perfectly happy to say I was wrong if McCoy puts up an elite year or 2.

I just don't see him ever putting up a 25-30 TD season. (which would put him in the top 5 range in the NFL)

I would love to see it, and I would love to be wrong, because then we could continue to use draft picks elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I'm going to be wrong in this case. I think that trying feverishly to replace McCoy will be an annual event until it is finally accomplished. I have this nightmare, and someone else said something similar, that McCoy is just good enough to be "not too bad" ........ and we never get out of mediocrity hell as a result.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Damanshot #673282 03/22/12 04:21 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
He is quoting a classic scene from the movie " The Princess Bride" from way back in last century.

T
Legend
Legend
T
McCoy is just good enough to be not too bad?

Well so were Charlie Frye, and Brady Quinn. ( Ok Frye wasn't even that good, but
Hooray! We're 3 for 3.

Just Draft Tanehil and move on.

At least it would address in some way the Quarterback more than ABSOLUTLY NOTHING, and He Can't be any worse than Jordan Cameron was for a 4th.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
just because Tannehill is not yet a QB on our team does not mean that Tannehill is not going to be a poor QB

#gmstrong
Mourgrym #673285 03/22/12 04:38 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
It just hit me, Tannehill at 4 is a better pick than Claibourne at 4, and here is the proof. It's because of the state of the Browns roster at the moment.

Look at it like this.

If they DON'T draft Claibourne and fix that 2nd cornerback spot, can you argue that McCoy is going to get in shootouts with all the opponents next season and that other teams are going to throw all over the defense and we would have missed out because we didn't get that best Cb in the draft?

or

If they DON'T draft Tannehill McCoy is going to suddenly get a fire lit under his belly and come out and play like a top 10, 16, 0r top 25 quarterback in the league.

or, If they DO drat Tannehill he's (Tannehill) is going to come into this offense and be coached down to short arm every pass to the dump off option no matter what he sees, and it probably won't matter because they'll never send someone out on a deep route.

I'm starting to think that Tannehill to Greg Little + late round receivers is a better option than
McCoy to ANYBODY.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 03/22/12 04:42 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
just because Tannehill is not yet a QB on our team does not mean that Tannehill is not going to be a poor QB

#gmstrong
Ballpeen #673287 03/22/12 06:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We need to just draft the guy.

We need to draft THE guy not just A guy. I don't happen to believe that Tannehill is THE guy. But I do believe that taking him at 4 is a panic move. I don't believe that Heckert will panic and make this pick. I believe that Holmgren will. The question is: who will win out come draft day?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Heldawg #673288 03/22/12 06:33 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Me Too!

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I'm not a fan of Tannehill, so I wouldn't just "take him and forget it."

As far as McCoy, I'm not saying he's that good ..... but my fear is that he becomes just good enough to be "not bad", and thus the team has hope that he might become more ..... even though he probably won't.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would be perfectly happy to say I was wrong if McCoy puts up an elite year or 2.

I just don't see him ever putting up a 25-30 TD season. (which would put him in the top 5 range in the NFL)

I would love to see it, and I would love to be wrong, because then we could continue to use draft picks elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I'm going to be wrong in this case. I think that trying feverishly to replace McCoy will be an annual event until it is finally accomplished. I have this nightmare, and someone else said something similar, that McCoy is just good enough to be "not too bad" ........ and we never get out of mediocrity hell as a result.

guess what those were.......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #673291 03/22/12 07:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I would guess Kosar.

Makes no difference. I have said that Kosar was a really good, but not great QB. Plus he played in a different era.

Heldawg #673292 03/22/12 07:10 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Me

Toad offered a golf vacation replete with female companionship if Tannehill was drafted at 4. I made that prediction a month ago and said Holmgren will figure out how to explain it to the fanbase later.

Now that's not looking like too bad a prediction.

Have you played golf in Texas in July?

Not what some would call a vacation...

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #673293 03/22/12 07:16 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'll just bring a Sunbrella for Adriana to shade me with.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

As far as McCoy, I'm not saying he's that good ..... but my fear is that he becomes just good enough to be "not bad", and thus the team has hope that he might become more ..... even though he probably won't.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen, whether we draft Tannehill or not. Colt just doesn't have the tools. He'll play just well enough to knock us out of position for a good qb next year. We may as well draft Tannehill, sit him for a year and let him develop. I'm not convinced Blackmon and Richardson are bonafide instant starters, and Claiborne isn't Patrick Peterson........so I think Tannehill is worth the risk.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Mourgrym #673295 03/22/12 07:28 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Over at Walter football, here is his projection and write up on where we go with our 1st pick.

Cleveland Browns: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
The Browns blew it. They absolutely blew it. They had a chance to move up for Robert Griffin in exchange for Nos. 4 and 22, as well as a first-rounder next year. That was the correct price to pay for a franchise quarterback. Mike Holmgren doesn't realize that for some reason, and that's why Cleveland will continue to dwell in the AFC North cellar.

So, let's recap. The Browns whiffed on Young Griff. Peyton Manning didn't want to sign with them. Neither did Matt Flynn. Kevin Kolb and Matt Hasselbeck weren't available because Manning didn't sign with Arizona or Tennessee. Because of this, Cleveland absolutely has to draft Ryan Tannehill at No. 4.

There's really no question about it. Will any Cleveland fans be in the stands when their team is 1-4 with Colt McCoy at the helm? Absolutely not. The Browns, under any circumstances, cannot go into the 2012 season with McCoy as the sole option. They need a franchise quarterback, and Tannehill, a consensus top-12 prospect because of the demand for signal-callers, can no longer be considered a reach. If the Dolphins are dying for him to fall to No. 8, then Cleveland can absolutely take him at No. 4.

Tannehill is a good fit for this offense anyway. I believe that Holmgren and the rest of the front office will talk themselves into drafting him. They may not want to right now, but they'll fall in love with his potential over the next month. I know what Holmgren said about sticking with McCoy. As I tweeted @walterfootball, "I don't believe that Holmgren is fully committed to Colt McCoy. He doth protest too much. Ryan Tannehill's a viable option for #Browns."web page

Thought I would post Peen's article over here.

Everyone else is catching up with me lol

Just for reference, here is their mock draft from last year: ( http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php )

...and 2010: ( http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php )

... and 2009: ( http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php )

They aren't worth the damn passed picks #1 and #2.

Heldawg #673296 03/22/12 07:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just want to know how to get in on this Lima /Simpson draft thing & when is the date and time ?

waterdawg #673297 03/22/12 07:37 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
2010 Mock Draft...

7. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

I mocked Jimmy Clausen here recently, but the more I thought about it since then, the more I realized that it's not Mike Holmgren's style to pick Clausen. Clausen is clearly the right choice for the Browns, but my goal is to predict what teams will do instead of what they should do.

Holmgren has never spent a first-round pick on a quarterback. There's a reason for this. Like Bill Walsh, Holmgren firmly believes that he can take "inferior" quarterbacks and make them into really proficient passers. These "inferior" signal-callers don't have to possess a great or even a very good arm; they just need to make quick decisions, and be accurate in the short and the intermediate passing game. Clausen could absolutely thrive in Holmgren's offense, but I don't think Holmgren would be willing to spend the No. 7 overall pick on the Notre Dame product - even if he is the top quarterback prospect in this class.

2010 NFL Draft Day - Final Thoughts: This is obviously Eric Berry if he's here. If not, I say Joe Haden. I don't understand how anyone could mock Derrick Morgan to the Browns. He is not a 3-4 rush linebacker; he would be a terrible fit in that scheme. But then again, this is the team that paid Jake Delhomme $7 million, so who knows?

Other 2010 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Joe Haden, CB - Cleveland traded for Sheldon Brown, but he's 31 years old. He doesn't have much time of high productivity remaining in this league, and could be moved to free safety this year.

2. Jimmy Clausen, QB - The right pick for the Browns, but one I don't think they're going to make.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would guess Kosar.

Makes no difference. I have said that Kosar was a really good, but not great QB. Plus he played in a different era.

It was indeed Kosar, a QB held in high esteem around here. Three AFC Championship games, Lots of wins, low INT's, receivers that CATCH the ball and for the most part, A line that protected him, a pretty strong running game, a TE that was All Pro..

The difference between now and then,, let's look at it,, QB's throw, Receivers Catch, Runners Run, Blockers Block..

Yeah Big difference

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, But the fact of the matter is, a QB that gets the ball to his receivers, doens't make dumb mistakes, commands the huddle and HAS PLAYERS around him that do thier jobs will work in any era.

Kosar had that around him, McCoy doesn't/didn't..

But he does have the intangibles,,, so, let's see what happens when we surround him with some talent and let them learn the offense under the tutleage of the coaches instead of trying to do it by themselves..

Oh, and one last thing, I'll be happy as hell with a QB that is REALLY GOOD like Kosar was. I'd think you would be as well, unless you put ONE measurment on him,, just the number of TD's..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tannehill v.2

Link Copied to Clipboard