Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Time to start selling the idea of Tannehill to Miami.

Smaller hands is much less of an issue where it's warm.

yebat' Putin
Jester #673380 03/28/12 02:17 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Have the 1st 4 picks of any draft ever all been traded in the same year?

Indianapolis is trading the #1 pick?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

That would be amazing.

We'd have a shot at getting Blackmon AND additional ammo to trade back up for Richardson while losing nothing.

Time to start selling the idea of Tannehill to Miami.

to do that then we have to sell Miami on the idea that we are taking Tannehill. perhaps we could bring him in for a visit and really talk him up to our media friends. oh wait!

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think the Browns should take Tannehill at 4,( and you can use that against me in the furture,), , and that is Not saying I think he will be any good. I just think it is the move. IF he's even available at 4. And it's mainly because they haven't done anything at quarterback to this point.

And He won't be there at 8. Even though he should be there at 22, or even 30, Should has nothing to do with it, but he's got a premium price,
He won't be there at 8.
Who knows, look up the last time 2 qb's went 1 and 2, I think the next one went 33 or something like that.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
so, you don't think Tannehill will be good, but we should take him at #4 because if we don't make the mistake someone else will?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
why even ask?

N
Legend
Legend
N
sometimes you just have to poke the armadillo on the side of the road to see if it's still alive

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
lol i think my live-to-dead armadillo sighting ratio since i moved to texas is about 2:15.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Kind of like one of those big men in the Nba draft who get picked because they're big
I think he'll be great. Maybe, I definetly think he can throw the ball well, I think he's got that winners fire in his chest.

I think he gives you a better chance to win, because they have to be able to throw the ball.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
I don't think my odds have been that good on seeing a live one in the SW part of Austin.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Who knows, look up the last time 2 qb's went 1 and 2, I think the next one went 33 or something like that.

I don't remember a year when Qb's went 1 and 2. It will be nteresting to see when/if that has ever happened and who that 3rd Qb was.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #673390 03/28/12 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
check out the qb stats article

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Jester #673391 03/28/12 05:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Last time was 1999. We took couch at 1, eagles took McNabb at 2, bengals took Akili Smith at 3.

Previous time was the year before, where Manning/Leaf went #1/#2 (yes, we missed peyton manning by 1 year.) Next guy was Charlie Batch at #60 overall.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

(yes, we missed peyton manning by 1 year.)

We probably would have taken Leaf anyways..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
OverToad #673393 03/28/12 08:29 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Simple physics tell us he'll have more problems in cold weather than the average QB.

On the importance scale of attributes, having small hands isn't a major factor, but it is a factor. It tells us he's going to fumble more than the average NFL QB. So now each person has yet another factor to consider when evaluating Tannehill.

To a degree my old friend.

On the other hand, as a ex receiver, possibly he has strong hands where the "3'8" isn't going to matter.

??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
ThatGuy #673394 03/28/12 08:33 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

(yes, we missed peyton manning by 1 year.)

We probably would have taken Leaf anyways..

PDR #673395 03/28/12 10:17 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
jk 9inches from the way they said from thumb to pinky is very small hands Im a normal sized guy and just measured and am at 10 3/4. I can palm a basketball but not quite off a bounce have to actually pick it up that way.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cosell Talks: The Tannehill Project
by Greg Cosell

Ryan Tannehill started 19 games at Texas A&M. I watched six of them, all from his senior season in College Station, Texas. Given his lack of experience at the quarterback position (only six starts to end his junior year), my evaluation was chronological. I was anxious to see how he progressed as he played more snaps and gained a greater feel for the subtleties of the position.

I began with Oklahoma State, A&M’s first conference matchup in the Big 12. It was the Aggies’ third game of the season, after consecutive easy wins against non-conference teams. Remember, at that early point in the season, no one knew with any certainty that Oklahoma State would be a contender for the national championship. Quite frankly, that was not that relevant to me. When I study a quarterback, I am not overly concerned with the opponent. In addition, I don’t spend a lot of time analyzing the specifics of his college offense. That’s only important in one sense: You get a feel for what he’s asked to do, and then you can analyze his reads and throws accordingly. Think of it this way: If you based your evaluation of Cam Newton a year ago on the mechanics of Auburn’s run-first option offense, then you would have missed the more essential evaluation — that Newton was a special talent as a passer.

When I watch coaching tape of a college quarterback, my focus is on the attributes of quarterback play that are necessary to succeed at the position in the NFL. Passing the ball well on Sundays demands particular and identifiable traits. There’s no question different players possess these characteristics in distinctive and varying degrees. The overriding point, however, is that consistent quarterback play requires a tangible skill set that can be quantified.

Back to Tannehill — against Oklahoma State, a number of things were evident. Let’s start with arm strength, often dismissed as an overrated attribute — until, of course, it’s needed in a critical situation. Tannehill had a good arm, but not a gun. What helped him spin the ball was good weight transfer. He did not lift his back foot off the ground too soon, and effectively drove through his throws.

Three other points emerged from this game. First, he was willing to pull the trigger on difficult throws, which is a necessity in the NFL. Second, he threw the ball well and with confidence when working outside the numbers. Lastly, and surprisingly given his relative inexperience, he exhibited comfortable pocket mobility. In response to pressure, he moved within an area that approximates the size of a boxing ring while maintaining both his passer profile and his downfield focus. Pocket movement is a far more important attribute in the NFL than leaving the pocket and running.

This was one game, so these were snapshots more than final grades. As I continued with Arkansas, Iowa State and Missouri, I developed a more fully developed picture of Tannehill. His delivery was a bit low, more three-quarters than over-the-top. It was compact with good arm speed, which also accounted for the aforementioned velocity. One concern: I thought he had a tendency to lock his front leg as he delivered the ball at times. There were instances in which that hindered his usually precise ball location. Some throws were a little high, especially ones between the numbers. Those problems can be coached and fixed, but it’s a process and, at this point, a concern.

One benefit of Tannehill’s three-quarters delivery is it allows him to throw very well on the move, both to his right and impressively, to his left. In fact, he’s a better, more accurate passer on the run than either Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin. Tannehill was very efficient off the boot-action pass game. That will translate very well to the NFL.

The final two games I evaluated were Texas A&M’s contests against Oklahoma and Texas. Pocket movement remained a strong element of his game. I would argue that Tannehill exhibited the best pocket command and mobility of any quarterback in this draft class. To take it a step further, Tannehill was very good when improvising within structure. When the pressure forced him to abandon the boxing ring, he did, but the objective was again to find a quieter area to deliver the ball rather than to run. While the threat of the run was present, Tannehill remained a passer first, allowing the defense to dictate his reaction. We always talk about extending plays. Tannehill did that well, preserving his downfield focus and making accurate throws at the intermediate and deeper levels of the defense.

Some inconsistencies in his play also appeared. He did not drive the ball as well against Texas as he had in the earlier games. He missed some throws that were there; overall, his ball location was inconsistent. I am not ready to say it’s a red flag as he transitions to the NFL, but it is something to watch, especially with his tendency to lock his front leg.

One other problem became increasingly evident the more plays I watched. In every pass offense, the quarterback must locate the safeties to best determine where to throw the ball at the intermediate and deeper levels. Tannehill at times did not do a good job of verifying the positioning of the safeties after the snap of the ball. That led to some poor reads and ill-advised throws, especially against Texas. As I mentioned earlier, that can and will be fixed through coaching in the context of his NFL pass offense.

Overall, I did not necessarily see the kind of improvement over time I would have liked. In the final analysis, Tannehill is a better prospect than Christian Ponder was a year ago. Tannehill possesses the skill set to be a quality NFL starter. At this point, he would be best in a quick-rhythm, short-to-intermediate passing game that featured play-action and boot-action passes. One thing we know for certain: He likely will be drafted higher than his body of work suggests he should be. web page

Love this stuff. Nice to actually read football breakdowns instead of fluff pieces.

Mourgrym #673397 03/28/12 11:39 PM
Legend
Legend
What if he drops?

Is there any chance?

Everyone has him pegged to go to Miami at 8, but wouldn't they be better off going with Moore and getting him a weapon (say Floyd) then trying to over draft a project, regardless of who their OC is?

If he gets passed 8, he drops, How far? I don't think he'd make it to 22, because that's when a team like Miami would trade up to get him...

Is it draft time yet..?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #673398 03/28/12 11:43 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
sort of funny the last time we passed on a QB in the top5 that everyone had pegged to go Miami later in the top10, they passed on him for an undersized speed WR.

so, are the Dolphins drafting Kendall Wright and Tannehill dropping into the lower 20s when we make a terrible decision to pick him up there?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At least we wouldn't have to give up a 1st next year to do it this time...

ThatGuy #673400 03/28/12 11:49 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
very true.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
The dolphins, Jaguars, and Buccaneers need a quarterback almost as badly as the Browns do. NO?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The dolphins, Jaguars, and Buccaneers need a quarterback almost as badly as the Browns do. NO?

Jaguars JUST (traded up?) drafted one in the first round, and Buccaneers drafted one who has shown promise...

Mourgrym #673403 03/29/12 06:28 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If he drops past Miami, then I don't want him...if his College HC who has a huge QB need doesn't believe in him then I don't want him either....it's at #4 (or 6-7) or not at all with Tannehill for me

Boom or bust, roll the dice or don't...I don't want another Quinn pick

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If you put all 32 starting NFL QBs in a hat and tell the GMs to pick them to start a franchise with, McCoy would go 32nd

#gmstrong

#673405 03/29/12 08:37 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

If he drops past Miami, then I don't want him...if his College HC who has a huge QB need doesn't believe in him then I don't want him either....it's at #4 (or 6-7) or not at all with Tannehill for me

Boom or bust, roll the dice or don't...I don't want another Quinn pick

Wow --- "i'd take him at 4, but not after that, because then he might become Quinn"

really???

People think the draft is like madden apparently "if I pick the guy higher, they might be an 83 instead of a 79"

haha

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 03/29/12 11:51 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Lyuokdea #673407 03/29/12 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If they pass and Sherman was Dolphins HC, it would be a big deal but the OC not getting the player he is begging for well, that happens all the time.

Mourgrym #673408 03/29/12 12:04 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

If they pass and Sherman was Dolphins HC, it would be a big deal but the OC not getting the player he is begging for well, that happens all the time.

So we better pick him up before we know whether they'd pass or not -- because then we won't know, and he will be good.

And passing a guy at #9 is different than passing on a supposedly first round QB in the second round (Clausen) -- that starts to say something.. Passing on a late first round QB (in many people's opinion) at #9 says nothing.

~Lyuokdea
Lyuokdea #673409 03/29/12 12:56 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Mourgrym #673410 03/29/12 01:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Oh it HAS a big say...the Dolphins need a franchise QB as much as we do and they hired Sherman to coach the Offense...who do you think will they ask 1st when it comes to Tannehill? Sherman has coached both College and NFL....if he thinks Tannehill is a franchise QB then they will draft him...if we don't take him at 4 Miami has probably no shot at the top tier of prospects (Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne, Kalil, 2x QB)...so if they are willing to be the 1st or 2nd team to dip into that wide open 2nd tier OVER Tannehill...then you have all information you need to know

I'm pretty sure we will bring in competition for McCoy and the draft is the last opportunity to do so...the only question remaining is if the FO likes Tannehill at 4 or Weeden at 22/37....Cousins has an outside shot, but he's so meh across the board that I don't see them falling in love

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ryan Tannehill impresses at his pro day
March, 29, 2012
Mar 29
4:15
PM ET

By Jamison Hensley
Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill had an outstanding performance at his pro day, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

This likely solidified his status as a top-10 pick in the NFL draft. There was "a large contingent" from the Cleveland Browns, which included offensive coordinator Brad Childress. Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll also attended the workout.

Tannehill reportedly has a pre-draft visit set up with the Browns, who have the fourth overall pick in the draft.

At his pro day, Tannehill showed off his mobility, accuracy and arm strength. While he wasn't throwing against a defense, he only had three incompletions (he missed one long pass and had two drops) on 68 passes thrown. He also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds. As ESPN's Todd McShay pointed out, Andrew Luck ran it in 4.67 seconds, although Luck is an inch taller and 13 pounds heavier.

McShay said on ESPN's "SportsCenter" that Tannehill is a legitimate top-10 pick and believes he is a better fit for the Browns than the Dolphins, who select eighth.

"I would say the Browns, because they are a better team," McShay said when asked which team was a better fit for Tannehill. "They have better parts around the quarterback position. Miami, I'm not sure what the plan is when I look at the Miami organization. While they have Matt Moore and they brought in [David] Garrard, I just don't know if you want to bring in a young quarterback with everything else that’s going on in Miami."

Fellow ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. disagreed.

"I can see Cleveland taking [Tannehill], but I disagree with them being the best fit," Kiper said. "I think it's Miami. When you have [offensive coordinator] Mike Sherman there, you have familiarity, and there's some personnel. I think you're [McShay] underrating that personnel base a little bit. Granted they have to do some work in the draft, no question about that."

Whether or not the Browns are the best fit, Tannehill shouldn't be in the conversation for them with the No. 4 pick. That choice should be between Alabama running back Trent Richardson and Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon.

Even though the Browns need to upgrade at quarterback over Colt McCoy, it's a stretch to validate taking Tannehill that high. There are six elite prospects in this draft (Luck, Robert Griffin III, Matt Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon and Morris Claiborne), and Tannehill is not among them. His 19 starts in college make him too much of a risk.

If the Browns decide to trade back, then they should consider Tannehill. web page

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I disagree with Jamison because his worst fear is that the Browns would actually get a decent QB in here.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

"I would say the Browns, because they are a better team," McShay said

and we'll continue to be the better team by passing on Tannehill

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
sweet, sell it Chilly!

The plot for Blackmon + Richardson is going nicely

Quote:

McShay said on ESPN's "SportsCenter" that Tannehill is a legitimate top-10 pick and believes he is a better fit for the Browns than the Dolphins, who select eighth.

"I would say the Browns, because they are a better team," McShay said when asked which team was a better fit for Tannehill. "They have better parts around the quarterback position. Miami, I'm not sure what the plan is when I look at the Miami organization. While they have Matt Moore and they brought in [David] Garrard, I just don't know if you want to bring in a young quarterback with everything else that’s going on in Miami."

I don't understand how it is possible for Turd McShart to be so clueless. Doesn't he know who their OC is? Doesn't he know who our WRs and RBs are? Oh wait, we don't have any!

I think he's just trying to make his mocks easier.

BTW, who was the last QB who wasn't impressive at their pro day? Luck, Griffin, Weedon, Cousins, Tannehill... what the heck is the point of a pro day, anyways? Is it just for smokescreens?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Don't be surprised to see this go Mourg., It's from a blog columnist and I got suspended for posting a blog Column. The ref was pretty clear about that and I asked to post Browns Salary breakdown by players and my permission was denied due to the fact that it was a blog, even though it was just number crunching. It was actually a good piece of information that we could have used on here due to everyone's uncertainty about the Cap hit of each player. Plus he is from Baltimore..

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I disagree with Jamison because his worst fear is that the Browns would actually get a decent QB in here.

I agree with this view of Jamison. It's like he thinks the Browns are obligated to be bad and should make FA and draft moves to continue to be bad.

Legend
Legend
Interesting that people were telling me that the Browns personnel was horrifically below that of the Dolphins, yet here is one expert who believes that we have stronger talent to put around a young QB.

I would say this ...... both teams have excellent LT ...... The Dolphins have our cast off Artis Hicks penciled in at RG ...... and they have a guy with 9 starts in 4 years penciled in at RT. (at least according to their depth chart)

We have Cousins currently penciled in at RT, but I think that our OL from LT to RG is probably stronger than theirs. Modest advantage us.

They have Reggie Bush and we have a hole at RB. Advantage them.

They have Fasano at TE, and we have Watson and the cast of ... well, 3 behind him. I think that Smith and Moore are both effective role players, and I would take Watson over Fasano. Advantage us.

Their top 2 receivers are Best and Hartline. That doesn't impress me at all. I think that Little is better than either of them, and they only have 1 guy behind those 2 with more than 2 career catches. I have to go advantage us.

So ........ overall, I would have to give us an advantage in overall offensive talent. We also have an advantage in draft picks.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with this view of Jamison. It's like he thinks the Browns are obligated to be bad and should make FA and draft moves to continue to be bad.

Agreed, maybe Baltimore should trade picks for Tannehill. Flacco isn't getting it done with all that firepower on offense and that stellar D they have had for years. He would thoroughly enjoy more years on a QB Carousel for the Browns.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tannehill v.2

Link Copied to Clipboard