Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
It's an ESPN article by an ESPN writer, posted on ESPN.

There is a difference between that and "Joe Nobody" covering the Browns for "MyOwnFootballSite.com.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
blog columnists are okay as long as they are from a mainstream site. i think ESPN qualifies.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I agree with the Browns having offensive talent. 1-4 on the offensive line are good and should really improve, just need the RT. Little is good outside and Cribbs & Norwood have the slot covered and Mo is good depth but we need one more legit threat on the outside. TE position while not great is above average. RB needs work but Jackson healthy and Armond Smith with a year of learning will have the 3rd down back solidified.

QB is the big gaping hole.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Aggies QB Tannehill impresses with several teams watching
By Dane Brugler | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- After a right foot injury sidelined him for the last two months, quarterback Ryan Tannehill finally had his day to shine in front of NFL scouts and evaluators on Thursday in College Station. And he didn't disappoint.

Tannehill, NFLDraftScout.com's third-ranked quarterback, ran one 40-yard dash -- Texas A&M listed his time at 4.62 seconds -- and threw for over 30 minutes with 22 NFL teams represented.

Seattle and Miami brought the most firepower. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell were all on hand. The Dolphins' contingent included head coach Joe Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland. The Browns sent offensive coordinator Brad Childress and quarterback coach Mark Whipple to College Station to watch Tannehill.

Tannehill completed 65 of 68 passes with two drops and one slight overthrow on a 40-yard bucket pass downfield to Jeff Fuller. He started his passing session with rollouts, bootlegs and several drop-back motions that required him to maneuver inside and outside the pocket. It became evident quickly that his foot was healed. Tannehill displayed his strong arm with very good technique, using his hips and follow-through to establish top velocity on difficult passes. He showed very good ball placement, especially on the run.

"I felt good, it was a good day," said Tannehill after his workout. "I'm a competitor. It was tough sitting on the sidelines (because of the injury). To get my day today was great and it was fun."

With scripted passes, no defensive pressure and perfect conditions throwing indoors, Tannehill was expected to look good. Most important for his pro stock -- teams saw what they needed to see -- he's healthy.

Tannehill had surgery in January after he broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot and was forced to miss the Senior Bowl and combine. He even had to limp down the aisle with crutches at his wedding in late January. Nonetheless, the foot looked healed and Tannehill impressed those in attendance.

"He should be very proud of his workout today," said Carroll. "He did a nice job."

Tannehill ran in the high 4.5s and low 4.6s in the 40-yard dash and did not repeat the sprint as is customary. He did not participate in any other shuttle or agility drills. Tannehill, who was recruited as a quarterback out of high school, carries some questions about his playing experience with only 19 career starts under center after playing two seasons as a wide receiver.

"I had fun helping my team," Tannehill said, "but at the end of the day I wanted to be a quarterback."

Childress, the former Vikings head coach and current Browns offensive coordinator, brought a fresh perspective. He said he's fine with the lack of experience because Tannehill is extremely moldable and isn't already set in his ways.

"It's remarkable that a wide receiver came in as proficient as he did at a big-time program," said Childress. "I have no reservations (about lack of experience). I like kids who haven't been playing the position since Pop Warner."

Tannehill had dinner with the Dolphins and Seahawks -- he was dining with the Dolphins' brass when the Seahawks showed up -- Wednesday night and also mentioned several upcoming private workouts with teams. He has been working out in Florida at IMG with former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke, who was instrumental in preparing 2011 No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton last year. Weinke had high praise for Tannehill's Thursday pro day.

"I couldn't be more happy with his performance today," said Weinke. "He processes at a fast pace, very good understanding of offense and had the luxury playing for a former NFL guy in college (Mike Sherman). There is no question in my mind that he's a franchise quarterback."

Former Aggies wide receiver Fuller and running back Cyrus Gray participated in the workout and both looked good catching passes from Tannehill. Sherman, the Dolphins' offensive coordinator who was fired by Texas A&M after the 2011 season, was not in attendance.

But the buzz today was about the quarterback. With Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin expected to be drafted in some order with the top two picks, Tannehill is expected next off the board anywhere from fourth (Browns) to the mid-first round. The Dolphins, who missed out on several quarterback targets in free agency, are a likely destination with the eighth pick.
web page

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

"It's remarkable that a wide receiver came in as proficient as he did at a big-time program," said Childress. "I have no reservations (about lack of experience). I like kids who haven't been playing the position since Pop Warner."

Chilly might want to check out Tannehill's wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Tannehill

either it's not inspiring confidence in his ability to research, or we haven't bothered to research Tannehill because this is all a smokescreen

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

CLEVELAND -- After watching Texas A&M's Pro Day today, NFL Network's Mike Mayock concluded that Ryan Tannehill can be a franchise quarterback and wrote on his blog "I think Cleveland has to take him at No. 4.''

Tannehill is one of about five players the Browns are considering with their No. 4 pick, and they dispatched offensive coordinator Brad Childress and quarterbacks coach to his Pro Day. The Browns will also conduct a private workout with Tannehill and bring him to Cleveland for a visit.

"He's a big, strong kid that can rip the ball,'' Mayock wrote on nfl.com. "He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds, but we all knew he was athletic already because he’s a former wide receiver. His foot (following surgery) is fine. He threw the ball extremely well on short, intermediate and deep passes. His movement skills in the pocket were excellent; he had good feet and good accuracy on the run. Everything checks out.

Tannehill completed 65-of-68 attempts with two drops.

"I expected to see all that,'' Mayock said. "This was a scripted workout and it confirmed what I saw on tape. Potentially, down the road, he could be a franchise quarterback. The problem is, he’s not ready to play right now. He’s very raw; he only had 19 starts in college. However, because the NFL is so overheated right now when it comes to finding franchise quarterbacks, I think the kid is probably going to go higher than he should. I think Cleveland has to take him at No. 4, and if they don’t, Miami is sitting there at No. 8. So the worst-case scenario for him is, I think, that he’s going to go at No. 8 to the Dolphins.

"But I don’t think he’s ready to play Day 1. I don’t think he trusts his reads yet. He’s got a long way to go, but I think he’s got the tools necessary to be a franchise quarterback.''

Link

Money quote:

Quote:

"But I don’t think he’s ready to play Day 1. I don’t think he trusts his reads yet. He’s got a long way to go, but I think he’s got the tools necessary to be a franchise quarterback.''

We can't afford to have our fourth overall pick sitting on the bench. And if he does play it could be a Blaine Gabbert situation.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
There was a time when pretty much all QBs were brought in and sat for a year or two. If you believe he is thee guy then you take him. If you don't believe he is going to be a franchise QB, then you pass. I would play him but Holmgren would redshirt for certain if we were to take him.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
It would be nice if Seattle would want to jump ahead of Miami and grab Tannehill.Not sure how that would work out as far as return for the Browns.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I think the kid is probably going to go higher than he should. I think Cleveland has to take him at No. 4,

Cognitive dissonance is good for journalism?

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 03/29/12 07:12 PM.

~Lyuokdea
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If you put all 32 starting NFL QBs in a hat and tell the GMs to pick them to start a franchise with, McCoy would go 32nd

That'd be pretty damn unlucky considering they were drawn out of a hat.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

"I would say the Browns, because they are a better team," McShay said

and we'll continue to be the better team by passing on Tannehill

I disagree man....this is past the point of a few message board posters saying maybe we need to look at this Tannehill kid, and even past the point of the so called draft experts in the media. Now proven NFL'ers are saying he is a top 10 talent.

At some point you have to get a QB. I know we don't have one now.

Is Tannehill the guy??? I don't know.....just as I would say the same if Luck fell in our laps.

Here is how I look at it.....if we work out Tannehill and like him, we better be prepared to deal off our #22 pick if Miami even sniffs at moving up with the Vikings if they start offering Monopoly money.

I have a feeling people are going to love him and at minimum we have to deal our 3rd rounder. Someone is going to try to jump us.

Bottom line is a entertainment business can't keep taking PR hits and expect to sell tickets.

The Cleveland Orchestra is a world renowned institution. The city and area should be proud. Even if you don't like classical music, you should go at least once a year, just to support them, but now I digress. Anyway, this team is a institution, and it can't keep playing fourth fiddle.

I'd take second fiddle at this point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
NFL Draft Rumors: Ryan Tannehill, Justin Blackmon, Trent Richardson, Courtney Upshaw, Broncos

Written By: Nate Bouda
|

March 29, 2012

Ryan Tannehill

Update: NFL.com’s Jason LaCanfora reports the Browns are “thinking of selecting” Ryan Tannehill with their #4 overall pick.

LaCanfora mentions that the Browns are “monitoring Tannehill closely and have favorable scouting reports.”

—————–

Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill was clocked at 4.58 in the forty-yard dash at his Pro Day. He also completed 65 of 68, two of which were dropped passes.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter mentions that he’s hearing that Tannehill is a “lock” to be a Top 10 pick.
Mike Mayock compared Tannehill to Jake Locker and mentioned that he still needs time to “develop.“

“If Cleveland doesn’t take him at four, I have to believe Miami does at eight,” said Mayock, via the Miami Herald. “This kid has a big arm. He’s a heck of an athlete. Like Jake Locker, he’s not ready yet. He still has a lot to learn.“

Dane Brugler tweets that Tannehill has setup private workouts with the Eagles, Chiefs and Browns. Brugler also tweeted that Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll crashed a dinner with the Dolphins last night.

Justin Blackmon

NFL Films’ Greg Cosell told Sirius XM Radio that he doesn’t see the characteristics of an elite receiver prospect in Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmo.

“I struggle with Justin Blackmon,” Cosell said, per Ross Tucker . “He’s not an elite prospect like Andre or Calvin Johnson. (Michael) Floyd’s right there with him.“

This isn’t the first time that we’ve heard this regarding Blackmon but there’s really no one that’s heads above him. Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright have both increased their draft stock since the beginning of the process but neither or them have done enough to supplant Blackmon as the #1 receiver in this year class. With that being said, Floyd certainly has the ability to be a better receiver than Blackmon but there’s no guaranteeing that.

We have Blackmon listed as the #8 and Floyd as the #10 best prospects in our Top 50 Big Board.
Trent Richardson

NFL Network’s Lindsay Rhodes reports that Alabama RB Trent Richardson ran times of 4.46 and 4.51 in the forty today at his Alabama’s Pro Day.

If these end up being the official times, Richardson would have done everything possible to solidify him as a Top 10 pick in this year’s draft. Mike Mayock has called him the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson.

We have him listed as the #4 best prospect in our Top 50 Big Board.
Courtney Upshaw

Josh Norris of Rotoworld.com tweets that Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw posted forty times of 4.81 and 4.81 today.

Norris adds that Upshaw lacks “elite burst” and ”wins with persistence and tenacity.”

Many felt that Upshaw would end up being a Top 10 pick but his stock draft has been declining in recent weeks thanks to a poor performance at the Combine and some average at best forty times.

We have him listed as the #16 best prospect in our Top 50 Big Board but he could continue dropping as the draft nears.
Mark Barron

Josh Norris of Rotoworld.com tweets that Alabama SS Mark Barron ran forty times of 4.54 and 4.73 during Alabama’s Pro Day.

Barron ‘s coming off of double hernia surgery so this is definitely a step in the right direction. The 4.73 time was reportedly because of a poor start so that may not be as big of a red flag as it seems.

It’s hard to say where Barron’s stock is currently sitting considering the injury, but he figures to be a first-round pick at this point in time.
Broncos

Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post expects the Broncos to target a defensive tackle with their first-round pick.

Denver lost Brodrick Bunkley to the New Orleans Saints last week which only makes it even more imperative that they address the position in the early rounds of the draft. The Broncos could be looking at anyone of Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes or Michael Brockers at #25 overall.

We actually have the Broncos going with Brockers in our most recent 2012 NFL Mock Draft.
One Liners

Nate Ulrich tweets that a league source confirms that the Browns will meet with Justin Blackmon. Mary Kay Cabot adds that Morris Claiborne, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden & Kirk Cousins are also scheduled to visit the team.
Tony Pauline of SI.com tweets that Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitler will join C Peter Konz during next weeks workout.
Tony Pauline also mentions that Karl Dunbar of the New York Jets put UConn DT Kendall Reyes through position drills yesterday.
Tony Pauline notes that the Jets have not scheduled visits with with either Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw or Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus.
web page

Coming from LaCanfora, that is huge.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 03/29/12 08:24 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Bottom line is a entertainment business can't keep taking PR hits and expect to sell tickets.

While that's true a professonal football team cannot run their "entertainment business" based on PR moves. If they take their time, make good decisions and slowly build a winning football team the tickets will sell themselves.

Winning cures everything.

Even though football people know a professional football team is a part of the entertainment business, football people are in it to win games not PR challenges. Unless they are being steered by their owner, who is not a football man but a business man, their first choice will be to do what is necessary to win games not necessarily win over the public at the risk of not winning games.

Taking a guy like Blackmon or Richardson would contribute to both the increased chances of winning games and the PR challenge. Claiborne not so much on the PR front but certainly equally well in the direction of winning games.

All they have to do is build the team into a winner and all the griping and grumbling and pissing and moaning will go away without them ever bowing to making a decision based on PR.

But those football decisions and the build have to work amidst the grumbling. The PR move, if it doesn't pay off in winning, is nothing but a very short-term elation of the fans who will once again return to pissing and bitching when the wins don't come.

Brady Quinn was a PR move. It didn't last long and the result was a wasted 1st round pick which was a contributing factor in a regime being fired.

I think Holmgren has talked Lerner into letting he and Heckert build the team slowly through the draft and into accepting the growing pains that go along with it. That's why I give no credence to the "FO needs cleaned out if we don't start winning right away" kind of talk. I think they will get the time they need to finish what they started unlike anyone since our return.

We just can't keep changing regimes nor can we sign or draft players as PR moves when we so desperately need players who have a high chance of succeeding as quality starters.

Otherwise we'll be right back here again in a few years just as it's always happened and is exactly why we find ourselves in the crap were in now. Yet again.

We've been conditioned to think a regime has 3 years to build a winner and we get very impatient at that point. But we've been making wholesale changes every two or three years and what good has it ever done?

That was the Modell method. He was a TV man. To him it was all about PR. It was all about giving the fan base hope. Unfortunately, that method creates only false hope as it soon reverts back to the same 'ole thing needing another PR move to create the illusion of hope.

Keep the faith and have some real hope because these guys are doing this in a manner unlike anyone before them who has tried to build the Cleveland Browns since our return. They're doing it in a professional football manner. Build through the draft and don't throw big money around in FA. When we're winning we will still do it like that. Some moves work out. Some don't. Keep on plugging in the planned direction and we'll be back on top again.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree, winning cures all.

The problem is we haven't, yet we still need to sell tickets.

Add it up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Saw some highlights on BSPN. Loved the way he ran the 40. Looks like a track guy running it. Hated some of the push 3/4 arm shot put guide the ball crap that I saw. Ugh. He's got to learn to throw that like he does the intermediate to deep stuff with good spin.

I'll be happy if he's he pick but I want him to watch the AFC North games this year from he bench and I want to true up some of his mechanics. The ceiling is too high on this guy to pass him up.

[Linked Image]
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
I agree with your post 100%. I'm to the point where I am all-in with every move that Heckert and Holmgren make. I honestly think they are doing everything they can but a lot of things haven't gone their way. Just as an example, I do think they were targeting RG3 but first Matt Barkley AND Landry Jones decided not to become top ten picks. Had these guys come out RG3 would have fallen into our lap as crazy Washington would have waited for one of these other guys. Tannehill would have fallen to the 2nd round where he belongs.

Anyway, I do believe they know that a franchise QB is what is needed and they are trying to address it but they are resisting just accepting the 3rd or 4th best option with their top picks. I believe that they need to continue to build slowly and when we finally find our franchise guy this team will be loaded with talent.

I just don't want to start over again with another regime change. Please.

N
Legend
Legend
N
if we pick him, then i hope i'm wrong. i really do.

but, i don't think we pick him. heck, childress at his proday didn't even know he was a QB in HS? seems a bit strange if we were focusing on him.

also, most all articles I see on Tannehill say he's not a top10 talent but he'll get taken there because he's the 3rd best QB. that scares the heck out of me.

then, you get to his tape where he is extremely inconsistent and fell apart in the OkieState game when things soured. things sour here often, we need a QB who has resolve.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I have been saying the kid is top 15 for months and the Browns were very interested in him. It is really really rare to find a kid with all the parts including tremendous intelligence and not have him going top 2. Tannehill was a year and a half into his career as a College quarterback. He is behind where a college senior should be but he is way way ahead of what a guy with 20 starts should be.

Does anyone really believe Holmgren isn't strongly considering taking this kid? He loves the QB guru label and here is a raw kid with everything you want in a QB. You also have Heckert who is looking for his signature draft pick at the QB position. It is how general managers are remembered.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You also have Heckert who is looking for his signature draft pick at the QB position. It is how general managers are remembered.

I doubt he wants to be remembered for Kevin Kolb...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
They also know he needs to sit. I don't think they have the luxury of using the fourth overall pick on a player who isn't going to play. Holmgren pretty much guaranteed that we will be "a lot better" than last year, that will be hard to do if we use our best pick on a player that shouldn't play.

T
Legend
Legend
T
See I think there is a whole new angle on this thing.

The April draft is in April and this is still March. Now when the Rg3 trade took place, ALMOST a month ago, this entire draft switched out.

Ordinarilly , this RG3 trade takes place on draft day and 30 other franchises have ehh less than 72 hours to take it all in, but NOW they have a MONTH to take it all in.

Bottom line it makes Ryan Tannehill THE #1 qb in this draft.
Luck is already slotted
Rg3 is already slotted.
6 months ago, Tannehil was behind, everybody, for selection in this April 2012
6 months ago, you had, Matt Barkley, you had Landry Jones.

1 month ago, you had Matt Flynn, you had Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell,

Today everybody's been signed. They played musical chairs, ( in which the Browns claimed no interest in alot of guys. ) and everybody's now sat in a chair.

The Browns are still, ahem, committed to McCoy.

All that means is, anyone who thought Tannehills value was at 22, or his value was at 30, or 32+ and it's terrible to pick him at #4, it's no longer terrible to pick him at #4.

As Me! If the Browns, found a way to trade all 13 picks this year, ( I know comp picks can't be) and pick Ryan Tannehill and nobody else, then I"d be sure they could reasonably expect to improve on the 4-12 record.

IF, the Browns add players with all 13 picks, and don't get a legitimate quarterback at all and play all of 2012 with McCoy, Wallace, Lewis, then As Me!, I can't say they could reasonably expect to improve on the 4-12 record.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

They also know he needs to sit. I don't think they have the luxury of using the fourth overall pick on a player who isn't going to play. Holmgren pretty much guaranteed that we will be "a lot better" than last year, that will be hard to do if we use our best pick on a player that shouldn't play.

Tell it like it is, you dont draft a guy in the top 5 and sit him for any amount of time he is expected to come in and start DAY !. Then he becomes either Boom or Bust.
If someone said well we're taking Richardson or Claiborne or Blackmon and they will ride the pine because they are not ready but have some potential I would be furious. Those guys are starters on this team 2 seconds after we draft them.

I fully expect who ever we pick at 22 to start day 1 and the guy we get at 36 to press to start before the season is over. So no way do I take a guy that is a project and needs to sit at #4.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

The April draft is in April and this is still March. Now when the Rg3 trade took place, ALMOST a month ago, this entire draft switched out.

Ordinarilly , this RG3 trade takes place on draft day and 30 other franchises have ehh less than 72 hours to take it all in, but NOW they have a MONTH to take it all in.

Luck is already slotted
Rg3 is already slotted.

Today everybody's been signed. They played musical chairs, ( in which the Browns claimed no interest in alot of guys. ) and everybody's now sat in a chair.

All that means is, anyone who thought Tannehills value was at 22, or his value was at 30, or 32+ and it's terrible to pick him at #4, it's no longer terrible to pick him at #4.

As Me! If the Browns, found a way to trade all 13 picks this year, ( I know comp picks can't be) and pick Ryan Tannehill and nobody else, then I"d be sure they could reasonably expect to improve on the 4-12 record.

IF, the Browns add players with all 13 picks, and don't get a legitimate quarterback at all and play all of 2012 with McCoy, Wallace, Lewis, then As Me!, I can't say they could reasonably expect to improve on the 4-12 record.

Are you drinkig my beers? So if we pick only 1 player Tanny you are sure we will be better then 4-12 but if we use all our 13 picks on players except QB you dont expect us to improve on 4-12?????

I will say if they had NO PICKS and fielded the team we have now adding in only street FA and UDFA I expect them to win more then 4 games next year.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Even though the Browns need to upgrade at quarterback over Colt McCoy, it's a stretch to validate taking Tannehill that high. There are six elite prospects in this draft (Luck, Robert Griffin III, Matt Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon and Morris Claiborne), and Tannehill is not among them. His 19 starts in college make him too much of a risk.

If the Browns decide to trade back, then they should consider Tannehill.

Most logical thing I've seen any talking head say. Couldn't agree more.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Luck is already slotted
Rg3 is already slotted.

All that means is, anyone who thought Tannehills value was at 22, or his value was at 30, or 32+ and it's terrible to pick him at #4,

Everything Above is literally the best thing I've ever seen you post...

And then...

Quote:

it's no longer terrible to pick him at #4.

Just because there's no other QB, doesn't mean you HAVE to REACH for one...

I would rather trade up to 3 and draft Kalil then take Tannehill at 4...

...Yeah...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Quote:

Even though the Browns need to upgrade at quarterback over Colt McCoy, it's a stretch to validate taking Tannehill that high. There are six elite prospects in this draft (Luck, Robert Griffin III, Matt Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon and Morris Claiborne), and Tannehill is not among them. His 19 starts in college make him too much of a risk.

If the Browns decide to trade back, then they should consider Tannehill.

Most logical thing I've seen any talking head say. Couldn't agree more.

I see a LOT of wheeling and dealing come draft time. Probably for the last chair in the QB crapshoot.
So.... lets try to work the board, slide a couple spots for a extra 2 or 3, take our first stud and then trade back up from 22 to steal our second stud from someone else.

Gonna be a lot of fun watching this play out. Are we just faking our interest to make another team move to 3 and take Tannehill so we get the very first choice in a non QB pick ? Is Miami doing it to us so a player slides ? Would we trade down to a team that wants the LT ?

We have ammo to slide around at will, and even more so if we move down a slot or two.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I just somehow wish the Vikings would select Blackmon instead of Kalil. The scenarios which such an action would bring in to play are so favorable for the Browns it's nearly impossible to quantify them...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

I just somehow wish the Vikings would select Blackmon instead of Kalil. The scenarios which such an action would bring in to play are so favorable for the Browns it's nearly impossible to quantify them...

Doesn't Miami trading to 3 for Tannehill do the same thing for us ? Even better I would say. Unless your trying to fool everyone with your Sig and really DO want Tannehill.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Rishuz #673449 03/30/12 06:11 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Ugh. I can't wait until the QB position on this team is settled.

No kidding, and the only way for that to happen is to keep bringing in guys when you know it's unsettled.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I see a LOT of wheeling and dealing come draft time

I agree. This might be one of the more interesting drafts in years. The last several years I've been away on a mountain fishing trip with no TV during draft weekend. This year the trip is in May, so I'm really excited to belly up to some beers and watch the show - and I do think it will be a show in the first round!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I don't think they have the luxury of using the fourth overall pick on a player who isn't going to play.

I can't say I totally disagree with you, but the other side of the coin is that if there is a year to do that, it's this one. Why? Because we DO still have another pick in round 1. Not saying the Browns are thinking that way, but it does remain a possibility.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
Rookie
Rookie
M

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/...hill/53841764/1

Tannehill working with Chris Weinke.

shouldn't Weeden be working with Weinke?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the read. They did a good job with the kid. His game has been refined. Keeping the front leg relaxed and unlocked *CONSISTENTLY* was vital. Would hate to see him get that front leg rolled up on with it locked. Also helps with his accuracy.

I thought he showed more balance in his drops as well. Less thinking just dropping and popping will make him a very rich man.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 03/30/12 01:59 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/...hill/53841764/1

Tannehill working with Chris Weinke.

shouldn't Weeden be working with Weinke?

I think Weeden once babysat Weinke

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

This is just the end of this article/mock:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/3/29...t-for-cleveland

"My interest in Tannehill and Cleveland is for purely selfish reasons. I've been mocking Tannehill-to-Browns for months, and pretty much everyone and their mother laughed at me for doing it. Now, it's the new fad. Also, aside from the joy it would bring me to rub it in people's faces should Cleveland draft Tannehill, I personally think he is the better pick at No. 4.

Nothing against Richardson, but this is a quarterback-driven league now. Ten years ago, absolutely I say Richardson over Tannehill. Today, running backs are a dime a dozen. The Patriots went to a Super Bowl with an undrafted player at tailback, and the Giants won two rings in four years with backs like Ahmad Bradshaw (7th round pick) and Brandon Jacobs (4th round pick). You have to throw in this league to win, and right now the Browns don't have anyone who can. If you seriously think Colt McCoy is a real NFL quarterback, I'm sorry.

No, really. I am.

Tannehill at least offers the potential to get over the hump and compete in the brutal division that is the AFC North. With McCoy, Cleveland is what they've always been since 1999, an easy win for the opponent."

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I know how he feels. Browns were scouting this kid hard especially at their bowl game, I put him in my mock and everyone jumps like I insulted their children or something.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I was late to the game on Tannehill but I was about three weeks ahead of the media and "draft experts" like McShay and Mayock.

Bottom line:

If you want to have the second best QB play in the AFC North in 2013 and beyond until Roethlisberger starts to fade then draft Tannehill.

Continue to stockpile picks and groom youth. Get through this year at 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8. And be prepared to sneak into the wildcard in 2013 with competitive games against all opponents moving forward.

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tannehill v.2

Link Copied to Clipboard