Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Even at a devalued position, Richardson’s talent too great to pass up
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT

The NFL’s transformation into a passing league has hit running backs hard, both on draft day (the first running off the board went 28th in last year’s first round) and in free agency (veteran running backs haven’t found much of a market for their services this year). But with the NFL draft a month away, Alabama running back Trent Richardson has so much talent that he appears poised to buck the trend of running backs being devalued.

A couple of weeks ago we passed along comments from NFL Network’s Mike Mayock suggesting that Richardson might slip out of the Top 10 because of the low value so many teams place on running backs. But with more time to study the tape, Mayock now says Richardson is simply too talented for more than five or six teams to pass on him

“Boy was I wrong,” Mayock said of suggesting Richardson might get out of the Top 10. “He’s going in the Top 10. Let’s face it, if the two quarterbacks [Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III] go 1-2, and the Vikings are not in the market for a tailback at No. 3 because of Adrian Peterson, this kid is going 4, 5 or 6. He’s the best tailback I’ve seen come out since the aforementioned Adrian Peterson. He brings toughness, he brings speed, he brings pass protection.”

Mayock said that if the Browns pass on Richardson at No. 4, he can’t see why the Bucs would pass on him at No. 5. Mayock said Richardson running behind the Buccaneers’ offensive line in Greg Schiano’s offense could have a big impact as a rookie.

“Trent Richardson might be the best position player in this draft,” Mayock said. “I watched 150 of his carries today. I watched every catch he made on tape today. . . . I watched every pass protection I could find in about a 10-game span, and he might be the best pass-protecting running back in this draft also. So when you talk about toughness and perhaps the best positional player in the entire draft, I think if he is available at No. 5, with that offensive line, they’ve got to pull the trigger.”

And if the Bucs do pull the trigger, they may find themselves with the most talented player in the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...eat-to-pass-up/

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
Probably some of you guys know this already,, But was Richardson a good pass catching RB?

Wasn't Emmett Smith a good blocker also? I seem to remember that being the case..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok hands not great hands.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, we could' nt keep Hillis even though he was a very good back and a 1st down machine. Now we are talking about using our #4 pick on a very good back. What does that do to improve the team? We let the best FB in football go and used a high pick on a FB who catches 4 or 5 passes a year and doesn' nt blocvery well. We let one Fat Guy go (Rodgers) and used another high pick On a little younger Fat Guy. ( Taylor ). Why doesn't this team improve?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Hows his knee? Skipping the combine, no biggy...skipping pro day for extra recovery time concerns me.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

we could' nt keep Hillis even though he was a very good back

I like my very good backs to have more than one above average NFL season.

Quote:

We let the best FB in football go and used a high pick on a FB who catches 4 or 5 passes a year and doesn' nt blocvery well.

The best fullback in the league. That didn't start the season as the starter on the team that eventually signed him. And he was cut after the season. And is still unsigned. But yeah, he's definitely best in the league.

Marecic was a 4th round draft choice. Hardly a high pick.

Quote:

We let one Fat Guy go (Rodgers) and used another high pick On a little younger Fat Guy. ( Taylor ).

Rogers was old, out of shape, and expensive. Taylor is young, inexpensive, and in shape.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I see what you're saying but would it not have been better to keep Hillis and not have to use a high pick on a RB. Look at Braylon. OK he sucked but he was still head and shoulders above anybody we have right now. I'll admit we have improved some but it seems like other teams move up become contenders move back down again , up again and poor ol Cleveland is always at the bottom to greet them. Detroit' Cincinnati are on the way up now and we are talking drafting a RB that probably won't be as good as the we just let go unless you can tell me he can get that3rd and 1 like Hillis.

A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Hows his knee? Skipping the combine, no biggy...skipping pro day for extra recovery time concerns me.

He's lifting up to 700 Lbs on those knees so far.. Not sure if he's up to cars just yet though.

Video

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Any average human can squat 700 pounds.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Thats impressive. I'd still like to see him run and cut before we spend a 4th on him...

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Any average human can squat 700 pounds.

from Krypton maybe.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thats impressive. I'd still like to see him run and cut before we spend a 4th on him...

You already saw him run and cut on the knee post-injury during the BCS Championship.... he played on it hurt.

700 lb squat is kinda ridiculous.... I thought 700 for a leg press was crazy (though, the guy I knew that did that wasn't just doing one rep, it was sets of 10).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
if we wanted Braylon, then all it would take is a quick call to his agent. the FO that was in place during his ouster is gone and he's looking for work.

considering it's the end of March, the team he was on was looking for WRs (and despite that CUT him just before the playoffs), I don't think we are regretting getting rid of Mr. Edwards.

and, Richardson would likely be better than Hillis if he can just stay on the field (which Peyton could not do). being healthy at RB is a key requirement and Hillis has not had a single season in his career that he's been able to do it. now, I agree that his 1 year $3mil salary makes it tough to swallow that we couldn't re-sign him (since we know what he is capable of), but I don't think he was going to sign that contract here.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

You already saw him run and cut on the knee post-injury during the BCS Championship.... he played on it hurt.

Then why skip pro day?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then why skip pro day?

because he had surgery on it and it's in the recovery period. it's more susceptible to injury presently. but should be fine (standard procedure, etc.)

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
If the knee is OK (as it should be), I wouldn't complain about having this guy in orange and brown.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
As was already mentioned: he's post-surgery now. It's been repaired, so you don't want to do anything that could re-injure it before the healing is finished.

Browns is the Browns

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
just for arguments sake...
What would happen if we picked him and his knee wasnt healthy?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

just for arguments sake...
What would happen if we picked him and his knee wasnt healthy?

he would be our new Courtney Brown?

or Lee Suggs, Peyton Hillis, etc. Pick oft-injured Browns player who was hurt.

nevermind, got it: he'd be our draft version of LeCharles Bentley

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We'd have a runningback without a healthy knee... and he'd probably start the season on PUP.

It all depends upon how long they are looking at before he can pass the physical to play. In the one article I saw, it said that prior to his Pro Day he was already at almost 100%.. so, if he skipped that, it was probably just to avoid any setbacks (or, perhaps he worked out too hard to soon and had a set back).

In any case, everything I've seen says that it was "a minor surgery", so I don't think that it is really enough to worry about. Certainly not a career-ender.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ok hands not great hands.

well, that's not the answer I was looking for,, so I decided that I might as well go look it up.. dang you anyway Mour

in the last three years, he's had 68 receptions for 730 yards for an average of 10.7 yards (that's a good number) and he had a total of 7 TD's.

that's an average of 22 receptions and 243 yards and 2 TD's receiving..

I should point out his first year was pretty low so most of that was done the last two years.

Is that good enough of a receiving threat when you look at his running (1583 yards and 20 TD's (23 if you add in his reception td's) just last year) and his blocking ability? That's one pretty darn productive guy. I think yes.

I think this is a guy that's legit at 4...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
IIRC, he had a fairly simple clean out procedure, where they go in and remove a small piece of bone or tissue that is impinging the joint in some fashion.

After wards, the biggest problem is usually staying away from infection, and rebuilding any strength lost from inability to work the affected limb while the nerve was impinged.

If he's squatting 700#, the knee is just fine.

This isn't like ligament damage, with a potentially long recovery period, like Hardesty has had multiple times. This is a fairly simple procedure that many athletes have following the season.

I heard something the other day about Claiborne and that he might not be ready to start the season because of his hand. I wonder how/if they weighs on our decision there at all?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

I thought,, why not look at some film on the kid.. it's a highlight reel so by it's very nature, it doesn't show his poor plays.. but what I see is pretty damned impressive

Mour says his hands are good but not great.. maybe,, but they look pretty good to me.. this kid looks like a homerun hitter...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

And is still unsigned.

lol

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, we could' nt keep Hillis even though he was a very good back and a 1st down machine. Now we are talking about using our #4 pick on a very good back. What does that do to improve the team? We let the best FB in football go and used a high pick on a FB who catches 4 or 5 passes a year and doesn' nt blocvery well. We let one Fat Guy go (Rodgers) and used another high pick On a little younger Fat Guy. ( Taylor ). Why doesn't this team improve?

I think it's fair to say that you got everything in that post totally wrong

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think it's fair to say that you got everything in that post totally wrong

+1

I laughed.

Someone got him quite well above too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I disagree with Mour on Trent's hands. They are very good.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Are you lovers?

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

but would it not have been better to keep Hillis and not have to use a high pick on a RB.

I think your missing the point. PH might have gotten a run of 10yd - 12yd. a time or two a game. You knew when he busted one, he wasn't going all the way with it. That's what I like about TR, when he busts one, look out he's gone. Big difference in the RB's. I really liked PH, but..He was not the threat that a TR will bring to this offense. That's all I've been saying about TR, We NEED his production alot more than we needed PH. Yeah I'll miss him but I think TR will be worlds better for scoring.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Just thinking out loud. If we dropped to #7 say, and then picked up Tanney, I don't think TR would still be there It would be my luck, we would drop and miss out on TR. Oh well, on the other hand, If we did get TR, I don't think we could move up far enough to get tanny either. What are ya gonna do?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Man he does have it all. I love watching a RB move a pile by himself ..... when all you see are legs churning and a bunch of defenders going backwards.

I have been kicking scenarios around in my head where we might be able to wind up with 3 first round picks this year via a few trades .... maybe we trade down and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd, then we package a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th, (or whatever makes the package work) to pick up and extra late 1st ...

I am just imagining the possibility of having 3 first round picks and a high second in a really deep draft. Whew, that could fill a lot of deep holes.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I am just imagining the possibility of having 3 first round picks and a high second in a really deep draft. Whew, that could fill a lot of deep

That could sure help with the building of the core of the team. I think it is more possible that he will trade back into the second. Either way, those top three picks as they stand could be huge, as far as building goes.

Drafts have a way of turning from the predicted outcome, who knows? Weirder things have happened

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the bottom line on RB is, how much better is the RB production going to be with Richardson compared to Martin, Miller, Pead, Wilson, James and Turbin?

We all know he is the best back. Those other backs listed are terrific running backs as well and I really dont see a great drop off.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I do.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
I think that there is a big drop off ...... the question is: Is there a player at a different position who is so much better than others at the same position later in the draft?

If we look at a WR, are there other WRs available deeper in the draft with the same potential? I happen to think that there are. Are there other CB available later in the draft with the same potential? I don't know on that one. Are there other RB available later in the draft with the same potential? Nope ...... but is the difference worth the investment of the high pick at the expense of a different position? That I don't know.

All things being even, I'd still go with Richardson because I think that he could have a huge impact on this team in all aspects ... running, receiving, and blocking.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am just imagining the possibility of having 3 first round picks and a high second in a really deep draft. Whew, that could fill a lot of deep holes.

That would be pretty good ... I would be happy with 4 out of the top 50.

Nice to have ammo

[Linked Image]

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Help me out here,when he and Ingram were on the same team in college,who was the starter?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wont complain if we take him because he is an elite back but I think Martin, James, Wilson, Miller and Turbin all have the potential to be probowl type backs. I am really starting to like James the more I see of him, runs with much more power than I previously thought.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
WR I can really see your point there is only 1 megatron and good WR have been found thoughout the draft. CB I would disagree because that seems to be a postion that is drafted early and often taking the good ones off the board by rounds 2 and 3. RB has been devalued but runs (of RB being drafted close together) happen and teams get spooked so even though the same thing they are mostly gone by rounds 2-3.

I would be perfectly content with Richardson at 4 Wright or Floyd at 22 and Weeden or Minnifield at 37.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Help me out here,when he and Ingram were on the same team in college,who was the starter?

Ingram, but he got dinged and Richardson got to show his stuff the year before, but Ingram was still the starter.

Bama has a good running game.
It seems no matter who is playing for them, but they also recruit well there too I think.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Richardson’s talent too great to pass up

Link Copied to Clipboard