Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Thanks.
So Nick Saban believed that Ingram was a better back and he went to NO late round 1.
I'm sold,forget this guy at 4.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

just for arguments sake...
What would happen if we picked him and his knee wasn't healthy?

Ask Art Modell about Ernie Davis.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thanks.
So Nick Saban believed that Ingram was a better back and he went to NO late round 1.
I'm sold,forget this guy at 4.

I think that he was the horse Saban rode the longest at that point. I think that he probably knew what he had in Richardson, yet Ingram was still old reliable and not a bad horse in his own right.

Ingram is not Richardson, but both where productive in College.

[Linked Image]

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
You think Ingram must be better than Richardson b/c he started over him in college a couple years ago? It may or may not have been talent. It could have been not knowing all the job duties, it could have been having a bad attitude, it could have been Saban was playing mind games on his underclassmen.
My point is that it has a whole lot to do with nothing about if the Browns should pick TR at 4. When he was the main back TR showed that he's a complete back. Idk if he's that much better than the other RBs that are going to be there later. I see a lot of people liking TR who get paid to be experts. So while he might not be the best pick at 4, making that choice based on Saben starting Ingram over TR is goofy.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Thanks for posting, and my comments about the article are as follows:

What a crock!

So Mayock, who fancies himself as one of, if not THE premier draftnicks in the entire world, just now has gotten around to watching enough tape to evaluate the guy that is widely considered to be the safest pick in the entire draft?

Yeah, right.

Lemme tell you what is REALLY happening...

Mayock is reading the tea-leaves and realizes his prediction about him falling out of the top-10 was short-sighted and flat out WRONG. So what's the easiest cop-out? Is it to admit you're wrong by stating you didn't read the waves right? Nope, the EASY way out is to say "Well, NOW that I've had this opportunity to evaluate him, I see that he's really a top-10 guy no matter what. See, I just didn't have the time to watch him enough. I know what I'm talking about...now."

Every lead scout for all 32 NFL teams has watched every ounce of tape on all the top guys. Mayock doesn't even work for a team. All he does is talk draft on TV, in print, and on radio.

He had already seen everything he needed to see. He's just trying to make himself look better.

What a cop-out.

Here's what he said less than three weeks ago:
Quote:

“I think he’s a Top 10 talent,” Mayock said of Richardson. “That doesn’t mean that I endorse taking him with a Top 10 pick. I have a problem with running backs, and the history of running backs in the last 6-7 years in this league, justifying a pick that high. The last Top 10 pick for a running back that has paid off in my opinion has been Adrian Peterson, who went No. 7 to the Vikings.

“As talented as Trent Richardson is — and I believe he is, I believe he is a Top 10 talent in this draft, I’m not convinced he’s going in the Top 10,” Mayock said.

So he's adamant that he's a top-10 talent. He clearly states he has a problem taking a RB in the top-10 because of the loss of value of the position. He even states that he's the best back to come out since Peterson. Still, he isn't going to go in the top-10.

BUT WAIT! I'M SORRY! I SAW MORE FILM BECAUSE, UHHH...YOU KNOW...I DIDN'T WATCH IT BEFORE! HE'S AMAZING! HE'LL GO TOP-10 FOR SURE! RB'S AREN'T REALLY OVER-VALUED AFTERALL!

Mayock/fail.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I really like Richardson. Last year, he gained 864 yds after 1st contact. That's more than our whole backfield! LOL Not really, but that sounds perfect for our O Line!

It's Vader time!!!
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Lol.. Yea Toad it's amazing what popular opinion does to change ones mind.

To be fair.. He probably knew the guy was good but does a in depth study, one by one as he goes through the board. Then again.. who was he watching all year ?

I can't imagine having to watch that much film and try to grade every single player. Guess thats why scouts miss on so many guys. Almost need scouts for every position, for every game all year long to REALLY grade the whole lot of them.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Yeah man, it's just flat impossible to take Mayock seriously after that comment. I mean he's now painted himself into a corner. He either has never watched enough tape on the top guys of any draft before making on-the-record comments, or he's lying about it now. His entire life is to watch every ounce of tape on the top guys. I'm not talking about the potential 6th round fullback from Tennessee-Chattanooga. I'm talking about one of THE top players of an entire draft, and a guy that has WIDELY been promoted as the best guy to come out of his position since Adrian Peterson.

It's a pathetically weak way to try and wiggle out of the corner he painted himself into.

Besides, of all the positions in the game of football, RB is effectively the easiest to evaluate.

Sheesh...you'd think I'd be excited that Mayock has gotten on board with the guy I've been promoting. I just hate the wishy-washiness of these talking heads. Mayock can spin this however he wants, but that's a bald-faced lie. He just doesn't wanna have to admit he's wrong after the fact. It's far easy to lie by saying he just didn't have all the facts. The only problem is all it takes is a quick google search to be able to connect the dots where he flat-out said he wouldn't take Richardson in the top-10 because he believes the position has been devalued.

Well he ain't singing that tune now, is he.

Here's what his piers say about him. You tell me if this sounds like the guy who has just now gotten around to watching enough tape to evaluate the best RB to come out of college in the last decade:
Quote:

Mayock watches more tape than anybody because he loves it—but also because he’s trying to ensure that anyone who’s ever doubted his ability is dead wrong. He’s reached the upper reaches of the profession, serving as a color man on the NFL Network’s Thursday-night package and NBC’s Notre Dame University broadcasts. He’s also established himself as the preeminent NFL Draft analyst.

The more I look at this, the more this thing stinks.

He just can't admit he's wrong so he's spinning it so that he isn't wrong...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
C
Legend
Legend
C
People can't change their minds? Once someone says something that is their opinion always and forever?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree Toad, he is becoming more and more like Mel Kiper with each passing year.

The problem with these guys is that they don't have to put their money where their mouth goes

Big difference imo.

I don't care how good the back is.
I would feel much better about taking one in the top 10 with a tradedown scenario and picking up more ammo (click, click). McFadden took 3 years or so to start being mentioned as a top back and only AL Davis would be stupid enough to Draft him as high as he did.

Many know that it's a passing game today and also backs have become situational. Not even the best 'bell cows' play in every situation for the most part. I would rate them with the RT's as far as team value today.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
j/c

Here are a few thoughts on my part:

Browns "woe-is-me" draft:

- We trade down hoping that Richardson will be there, but he isn't. So, we pick a defensive guy and the fanbase goes berserk.
- We hope to get a WR like Floyd or Jeffrey at 22, but they're gone by then. So, we reach and take Weeden at 22.

Browns "Optimistic" draft

- We pick Blackmon at 4.
- We somehow trade up from 22 and snag Richardson
- We pick a stud RT who has fallen to 37

What I think will happen:

- We will stay at 4 and pick Richardson
- We will take Floyd at 22 if he's there. If not, a RT.
- If we didn't take a RT at 22, we will at 37.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

People can't change their minds? Once someone says something that is their opinion always and forever?

Sure, people are allowed to change their minds.

But don't lie about it to make yourself look good.

All he had to say was "It appears the buzz about Richardson is so strong that I now believe I was wrong. It looks like he'll be taken in the top-10."

If it's so easy to say you're wrong, be a man and admit why you were wrong. This little charade about how he just now came around to watching film on Richardson is complete and utter BS designed to give him an out.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Many know that it's a passing game today and also backs have become situational. Not even the best 'bell cows' play in every situation for the most part. I would rate them with the RT's as far as team value today.

While there are probably about 50 or so good backs in the league, most of whom are situational, Richardson is one of the rare guys who easily can be a 3-down back. He's a bigger version of Ray Rice.

Here's what Rice has done the last three seasons:

1339 yards rushing, 78 receptions
1220 yards rushing, 63 receptions
1364 yards rushing, 76 receptions

So what people need to ask themselves is this: Would you give up the 4th pick in the draft for that kind of production, keeping in mind Richardson is also a fierce blocker?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What I think will happen:

- We will stay at 4 and pick Richardson
- We will take Floyd at 22 if he's there. If not, a RT.
- If we didn't take a RT at 22, we will at 37.

I think that Floyd will be gone at 22, but I agree that we should have a RT drafted by 37.

It's our biggest hole if not our biggest need.

I think that you can find a RB later in the Draft and we still have Hardesty who I don't think we are ready to throw in the towel on for what we gave up to get him. Brandon Jackson isn't chop liver either.

Echoing Shurmur;

We know a lot about Blackmon already.
I think that he is good in traffic and I'm not concerned about his height, because he plays bigger then he is.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I still think the only way Richardson goes in the top 10 is if Claiborne goes in the top 4.

Legend
Legend
Man .... I don't know what to do in this damn draft.

I think that Tannehill is a massive reach, but on the other hand, we have such an incredibly desperate need there ......

However, I really don't think that he'll be the answer for us ......

But ..... should we take a shot at him to see if he might be the answer ......? That's a danger, not only for this year, but for next. We might well wind up with a massive project and pass on a solid prospect next year.

Screw it ...... I want a great player at 4, and Richardson looks like the player available to us with the highest "great potential".

I think that Blackmon could be very good. I think that Tannehill is a huge risk. I think that Claiborne will also be very good, but I would like to have a guy who is a little taller to handle some of the bigger receivers in the league to play opposite Haden.

*sigh* Damn Redskins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

but would it not have been better to keep Hillis and not have to use a high pick on a RB.

I think your missing the point. PH might have gotten a run of 10yd - 12yd. a time or two a game. You knew when he busted one, he wasn't going all the way with it. That's what I like about TR, when he busts one, look out he's gone. Big difference in the RB's. I really liked PH, but..He was not the threat that a TR will bring to this offense. That's all I've been saying about TR, We NEED his production alot more than we needed PH. Yeah I'll miss him but I think TR will be worlds better for scoring.

The one thing I disliked about Hillis was how often he put the ball on the ground. We just aren't a good enough team to overcome that. How does Richardson compare in that regard? Haven't seem much of him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I think that Blackmon could be very good. I think that Tannehill is a huge risk. I think that Claiborne will also be very good, but I would like to have a guy who is a little taller to handle some of the bigger receivers in the league to play opposite Haden.

I think everyone REALLY needs to calm down and note that all this Tannehill talk was spurred on by the media. I bet the Browns brass are loving it, too . . . I will be shocked. SHOCKED if we go Tannehill at #4. I'll still be shocked, but maybe less so, if we trade down and take him.

I'm prepared for us to take him at #22, but don't want to. If he landed to us at #37, SURE, why not . . .

Oh wait, this is a Richardson thread . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The one thing I disliked about Hillis was how often he put the ball on the ground. We just aren't a good enough team to overcome that. How does Richardson compare in that regard? Haven't seem much of him.

I think someone said that Richardson hadn't fumbled the ball ever in college.

So....... He's got that covered. Then again, Peterson was supposed to be great at that coming outta college, and I remember some playoff game where he fumbled it like 2 or 3 times.

I'm good with Blackmon or Richardson. Both would help the team out. And if we could find a way to get both, I'd be ecstatic. Problem is we need a RT also.

We didn't get a FA WR. So I'm think our first three picks will be a variation of two offensive play makers and a right tackle

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I hadn't heard about character issues with Blackmon ..or how some people came away from his pro day unimpressed.

Interesting stuff in here that I hadn't heard elsewhere ....

For whatever it's worth .....

Richardson 'clear choice' for Browns over Blackmon - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com
http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x586831836/Richardson-clear-choice-for-Browns-over-Blackmon

One thing that makes Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly our favorite scout-analyst is his candor.

It was plentiful during a conference call in which we participated this afternoon.
Naturally, we turned the topic to Browns options when we squeezed in our questions.

Cutting to the chase, Nawrocki sees Alabama running back Trent Richardson as a better option for the Browns than Justin Blackmon.

“In the AFC North,” Nawrocki said, “one thing you want to establish is the power-based running game. Richardson would allow you to do that.

“He’s as good as any back who has been in college football the last four years. He will come in from Day 1 and make a difference. He could potentially run for 1,500 yards as a rookie.”

• Nawrocki detects important worries about each of the top three wideouts, Blackmon, Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright.

As to Oklahoma State’s Blackmon and Notre Dame’s Floyd, he said, “There are concerns about the character of both.”

He said Baylor’s Wright is “a little too emotional” and didn’t get himself strong enough before a recent workout in which he bench pressed 225 pounds just four times. A number that low is almost unheard of for NFL prospects.

• Elaborating on Blackmon, Nawrocki said, “He has shown a lot of talent, but more and more concerns are coming up about the maturity level. That needs to be investigated closely.
“Many left his pro day unimpressed.”

Blackmon’s 40 was in the 4.4s, but Nawrocki said his “true playing speed is closer to the mid 4.5s.”

• Mike Holmgren once spent a high pick on a wideout with character issues and made some headway with Koren Robinson.

“I’m not saying Mike wouldn’t be able to do the same with Blackmon,” Nawrocki said, “but I know a lot of teams are concerned with the makeup and the character.”

• Nawrocki likes Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins more than Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill. he especially sees Cousins as a fit for Cleveland’s offense.

“He has followed a pattern similar to Andy Dalton,” Nawrocki said. “It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if teams running precision passing games wouldn’t look at him in the first round.”

Nawrocki said little Colt McCoy is out of place in a division that features big, durable quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco.

“I’d be coming at it a little differently than Mike Holmgren does,” Nawrocki said, who said he would “probably be trying to convert the kind of offense the Browns run.”

That probably won’t happen. Either way, Nawrocki says that in the pool of quarterbacks after Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, “The guy who stands out is Cousins. To me, he’d be the best fit ... he’d make a lot of sense for the Browns ... bring him in and let him develop.”

• Nawrocki’s problem with Tannehill?

He likes the talent level but was unimpressed by his progress at the end of the season.

“On the tape of the final bowl game against Northwestern, you watch him try to make decisions. It didn’t seem like he made progress.”

• Ohio State tackle Mike Adams runs to taste among scouts. Some see him as a top-20 pick. Others?

“I’ve talked to some teams that wouldn’t draft him at all, anyplace,” Nawrocki said.

• Nawrocki isn’t wild about Stanford tackle Jonathan Martin, either. NFL Draft Scout pegs Martin as the 18th best player in the draft.

He said Martin’s worst games were against the best competition. A rusher from USC, he said, “ate him up.”

“He’ll probably have to move to right tackle, but he doesn’t have the strength you want at right tackle.”

If an NFL team tries to insert him now as a starter?

“I think you’ll see him get exposed.”

• Nawrocki loves Midwestern State guard Amini Silatolu, who probably won’t last much past the 37th pick.

“It’s hard to put on the film and not get excited about him. He’s probably the most enjoyable evaluation of the draft class.”

One word, ferocious, covers it with him.

• He likes Cordy Glenn, as do most analysts, but doesn’t necessarily see the versatile Glenn, who may be best suited for guard, as the best quick fix at right tackle for the Browns. We'll have more about who he likes in a story headed for The Repository.

• He said USC’s Matt Barkley probably would have been the third quarterback, had he come out. Was he afraid of the challenge of going into the draft?

“There’s some concern in the scouting community,” Nawrocki said, “that he himself didn’t think he was ready.”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Ans then there's this ....... Not too much pressure on the kid if we did draft him, huh?

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x5868299...drafting-a-back

This quick-turnaround example might be a little rusty, but hey, it’s local.

There was a team that got a major and immediate jolt by spending a high draft pick on a running back.

Five teams let a pretty good college runner slip through the first five spots of the draft. Then it was Cleveland’s turn, and the man, Mr. Brown, jumped on the runner, Jim Brown.

The Browns had finished two games under .500 a year earlier, ending a 10-year run of appearing in league championship games.

With Brown on the team, the Browns were seven games over .500 and made it back to the title game. Brown led the league in rushing.

How that applies to Trent Richardson ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
that would be like NE going 6-10 this year and the following going back to the superbowl 10 years in a row.

one bad year doesn't make JB the savior. He was on a team that was sick nasty to begin with.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We don't need to spend a 4th selection on any RB. I would be surprised if we went that route.

This is a pretty deep draft to find another to go with what we have already there.

Unless we can trade down and pick up another high pick, I'm not in favor of Richardson.

Quote:

As to Oklahoma State’s Blackmon and Notre Dame’s Floyd, he said, “There are concerns about the character of both.”

Blackmon’s 40 was in the 4.4s, but Nawrocki said his “true playing speed is closer to the mid 4.5s.”

They said the same thing about Greg Little last year. I would take his opinion with a huge grain of salt.

Hmmm! He ran on grass folks. Not astro turf or on a track (Combine). Anyway I see good speed on the football field in his play at College.

Quote:

• Elaborating on Blackmon, Nawrocki said, “He has shown a lot of talent, but more and more concerns are coming up about the maturity level. That needs to be investigated closely.
“Many left his pro day unimpressed.”

Unimpressed or not likely to have a shot to draft him?

IIRC wasn't there reports that Coach Shurmur was at the head of the line (in his face) shortly after his pro day workout to talk with Blackmon.

At least he worked out

Quote:

He said Martin’s worst games were against the best competition. A rusher from USC, he said, “ate him up.”

“He’ll probably have to move to right tackle, but he doesn’t have the strength you want at right tackle.”

I agree.

Quote:

If an NFL team tries to insert him now as a starter?

“I think you’ll see him get exposed.”

LOL ...I think that's true with most rookie OT's

Kalil, Reiff aren't really no stronger and they all need to improve on their strength.

Pinkston was exposed too, last year for that reason, but I don't think that should shy you away from playing them as rookie's.

First year players really can benefit from an offseason program, but their experience can't be duplicated like playing as Rookie's.

Quote:

• Nawrocki likes Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins more than Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill. he especially sees Cousins as a fit for Cleveland’s offense.

“He has followed a pattern similar to Andy Dalton,” Nawrocki said. “It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if teams running precision passing games wouldn’t look at him in the first round.”

“I’d be coming at it a little differently than Mike Holmgren does,” Nawrocki said, who said he would “probably be trying to convert the kind of offense the Browns run.”

Sounds like he thinks that he could do a better job.
Yeah, Let's draft a QB who is a better fit for some other offense.

I don't agree with Cousins, being a better QB prospect then Ryan Tannehill, especially with our WCO. I don't think that I have ever heard another so called expert rate him higher either.

Quote:

• He likes Cordy Glenn, as do most analysts, but doesn’t necessarily see the versatile Glenn, who may be best suited for guard,

I agree with this, but I CAN wait to hear what his master plan is for RT.

Overall I thought that there where more negative undertones then constructive criticism with this post.

Overall I have to say Nawrocki left me unimpressed

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I know there are concerns about Blackmon's character. Some worry that he could be a distraction Dez Bryant style. If that's the case, I'll understand if we pass on him.

But, seeing him on the field, I would love if we got him at 4.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I know there are concerns about Blackmon's character. Some worry that he could be a distraction Dez Bryant style. If that's the case, I'll understand if we pass on him.

But, seeing him on the field, I would love if we got him at 4.

Until someone can offer me more then hearsay, then I'll take it as their opinion and not as a fact. I saw it in Dez, but I haven't seen it in Blackmon and certainly haven't seen it in any interview video that I have seen.

I think some folks forget that these are still young adults.

Like I said, the so called experts told us the same things about Greg Little and that he would fall out of the top 100 picks. Heckert didn't think so and I didn't see it from him last season either.

This is what I call the ugly season (after the Combine, but before the Draft).

The time of year for kicking dirt and mud slinging to suit ones agenda.

I have stayed true to my beliefs and I have done it without discrediting other candidates for our 4th selection.

I might not like a guy at 4, but I'm not going to kick dirt in the guys face to suit my agenda. Anyway it happens every year at this time.

I believe that there are probably no bad picks with those being considered for that selection, but I do think that there are better ones then others.

Quote:

Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly denounced him, without ever meeting him, as "very disingenuous -- has a fake smile ... and a selfish, me-first makeup."

This is what he said of Cam Newton last year.

The mans a joke.

Passing judgment without ever meeting or having any first hand knowledge of a person.

More on Cam Newton
He said;
"that he was a fraud, a narcissist and a con-artist.”

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man he does have it all. I love watching a RB move a pile by himself ..... when all you see are legs churning and a bunch of defenders going backwards.

I have been kicking scenarios around in my head where we might be able to wind up with 3 first round picks this year via a few trades .... maybe we trade down and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd, then we package a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th, (or whatever makes the package work) to pick up and extra late 1st ...

I am just imagining the possibility of having 3 first round picks and a high second in a really deep draft. Whew, that could fill a lot of deep holes.

It always seems to take more than one guy to get him down.. impressive..

For me,, as long as they don't go down too far,, I want either Claiborne, Richardson or Blackmon with our first pick.. at this point, I'd rather have Richardson. But, if they can drop a little, get one of those three, then use whatever they get to move back up,, I'd have no problem..pick up a RT or LB.. whew.. could be a fun draft day.

Give me Richardson, a RT, another WR in the second round, growth from Little, a healthy from day one MoMass, Cribbs slight improvement, and an off season to get ready,,, If McCoy can't make that work, then I'll be on the bandwagon to get him gone and get someone else in here..

And with those weapons, we'll be able to attract someone good...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
LOL! I have a feeling Gary Brown didn't expect that!

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
That was awesome, he absolutely knocked that guy on his butt

B
1st String
1st String
B
Answer me this: Of all the guys we could draft at #4, which one has a shot at being the best in the NFL at his position? The only answer at this point is Richardson. That is what the Browns need, the best players. As much as I am normally against a RB this high, I would take Richardson in a heartbeat.

Legend
Legend

Astounding to read the crap about position value.

A feature back like Richardson will get 25 plus carries a game. A great receiver like Blackmon on a good day eight catches.

To not see the talent in Richardson is to be blind.

This guy is a WOW back big time. The gap between him and second best is huge. Not because second best isn't good. It is because how really good Richardson is.

No question in my mind he helps the Browns more than Blackmon would simply because he will get way more touches and he can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good question. My opinion would be Richardson.

Potentially Mercilus or Ingram, but I don't think either would be considered at #4. Reiff maybe at RT too, but I don't see him taken at #4. If we moved back to #8, I could see it, but not at 4.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
This may be just me but does he look really really stiff to anyone else? I saw his 40 and saw some highlights and the guy just kind of looks stiff in all his movements.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Astounding to read the crap about position value.

A feature back like Richardson will get 25 plus carries a game. A great receiver like Blackmon on a good day eight catches.

To not see the talent in Richardson is to be blind.

This guy is a WOW back big time. The gap between him and second best is huge. Not because second best isn't good. It is because how really good Richardson is.

No question in my mind he helps the Browns more than Blackmon would simply because he will get way more touches and he can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field.

Touches wouldn't be a good way to determine a draft selection. A great WR doesn't have to touch the ball to impact almost every offensive play. He slides extra coverage away from your other WRs, he blocks on running plays and he also stretches the field just being out there.

You can also argue that passing sets up the run (and argue the reverse too).

To me, I'd go WR over a RB if their grades were the same. It's a passing league and WRs can last longer than RBs.

And actually, since it's a passing league....I'd put Claiborne ahead of Richardson on my want list because he can team up with Haden to straight kill the opposing teams passing attack. Make teams one-dimensional against us and watch us start winning.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Not to mention that, on average, the WR can easily equate to way more yards in those 8 catches than a RB can in 25 touches... and can easily get in the endzone as many times as any RB.

That's field position, it's moving the defense around, etc..

Quote:

And actually, since it's a passing league....I'd put Claiborne ahead of Richardson on my want list because he can team up with Haden to straight kill the opposing teams passing attack. Make teams one-dimensional against us and watch us start winning.

I 2nd this... and add in that we need at least one stud LB that can cover TE's once we've taken away the WR's. We do that and things will start to look mighty pretty.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And on a good day: Richardson will have 120 yards and 2 TD's on those 25 carries, Blackmon will have 160 yards and 2 TD's on those 8 catches.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
All that said... we need both a RB AND a WR that can get it done consistently on that level.

There's still a chance that Hardesty can be that guy at RB, but we just don't have anyone that can be that guy at WR.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Greg Little. Kid has some serious skills.

Legend
Legend
Think that he might have been showing off a little for the Browns so he could go as high as possible?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Or so it would appear that they don't have anyone at wide receiver, IF they don't have a Quarterback who can find them. It really is for the team to figure out.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Richardson’s talent too great to pass up

Link Copied to Clipboard