Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have Hill going to the Browns at 22. Raw athletic tons of upside just seems to go with Heckerts draft philosophy. He is like an intelligent Butch Davis lol.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Considering there are no upgrades to be had at QB this year I think the best way to help McCoy would be to go with Richardson and a receiver at 22 or a Blackmon and a RB further down with a RT in there somewhere.

I believe there is a huge upgrade available at 4 and the best way to help Colt is to give him free membership at the Coaching clinic. His future is in coaching not playing.

As could Tannehills future too and very well could be. But Don't think he understands the position enough to be a Coach so maybe a WR coach. If I want my QB's to learn how to throw interceptions in big games or hop around he will be the first QB I call.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trying to think like Heckert in my predictions and I just see it as Trade vs Richardson vs Tannehill.

I have Reiff, Martin and Glenn all going before 22. I dont see Adams as a fit. That is why i went receiver at 22 with Hill. probably best available if those 3 are gone.

BPA at 37 should be RB but we may very well select Massie or Swartz there. Heckert isn't afraid to go get his guy.

BTW I really want to get Broyles with that pick 100.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

BPA at 37 should be RB but we may very well select Massie or Swartz there. Heckert isn't afraid to go get his guy.

I have considered that too, but I just see Hill as a luxury pick for a team with good established WR's already.

Sanu would be a better option for us imo.

Martin could very well be gone at 22. True.

The Eagles I think could be in the market for an OT where they where not a week ago.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Martin to the Bills, Glenn to the Cards is the way I have it. Bills run a lot of zone blocking and Martin fits what they want to do.

Legend
Legend
Here's a scary thought that I don't even want to think about ........

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1440909077/Ex-GM-sees-Richardson-Floyd-as-Browns-picks

The Sports Illustrated mock draft updated over the weekend has Richardson falling to the Bengals at No. 13.
A platoon of Richardson and Green-Ellis on a team that already has pass catches A.J. Green and Jermaine Gresham from the previous two first rounds would be a problem in terms of the Browns passing the Bengals.
• • •

Yikes! That would be ugly for us, for sure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Martin to the Bills, Glenn to the Cards is the way I have it. Bills run a lot of zone blocking and Martin fits what they want to do.

Will have to wait a few more weeks to know for sure, but if we don't have a RT option at 22, then I see us possibly pulling the trigger on Weeden.

That would mean possibly Schwartz at 37 or do we go another route and try and trade back into the 2nd round to get him later in that round. I just don't think that I would wait to see if he is available at 67.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
That's why I would try to trade down to 6-8 and get an extra 2nd round pick.

I think that's definitely doable, and to have 4 picks high in the first 40 or so players in this draft would be huge.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think that's definitely doable, and to have 4 picks high in the first 40 or so players in this draft would be huge.

I would be good with that scenario.

4 picks RB, RT, WR, QB (Weeden) and then we can turn our attention on defense.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

Totally agree with your assessment of Richardson versus Tannehill. However, after losing Griffin to Washington I have no idea what the Browns will do. My guess is trade down lose out on Richardson and then pick Tannehill or possibly Michael Floyd. Then go for Mike Adams at 22 and Doug Martin at 37.

I am already disappointed with losing Griffin. If they let Richardson get past them Holmgren/Heckert will lose all credibility.

Legend
Legend
I would consider an extra 2nd as prime OLB territory. Right now it's aluxury I think we can't afford but getting a free pick to snag Lavonte David, Bobby Wagner, or even Zach Brown would be a big bonus IMO.

Legend
Legend
I just get the feeling that Heckert doesn't look at OLB as 2nd round picks. (much as he doesn't look at pass rushing DE as 1st round picks)

There are just so many of them available, and I don't think that he feels the need to overdraft that position.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And that's the kinda thing I think that Heckert loves to do.. least it looks that way.

Can you imagine getting say a Richardson at 6, a RT or WR at 22, a RT or WR at 37 and still have one more pick in the top 40 or so to add a DB or LB or DE or Safety or even another receiver?

that could be very interesting.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

And that's the kinda thing I think that Heckert loves to do.. least it looks that way.

Can you imagine getting say a Richardson at 6, a RT or WR at 22, a RT or WR at 37 and still have one more pick in the top 40 or so to add a DB or LB or DE or Safety or even another receiver?

That's my dream scenario right now. Although every day that passes, I don't think the Rams make that trade. I think if Heckert wants out of that pick, he may have to drop pretty far like he did last year. We'll see.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont believe the Bucs would trade up but hey offer a 2nd or 3rd and lets talk. Rams are a possibility especially if the Vikings take Claiborne. Jags however are the most likely team to jump. They love to move up in the draft. Dolphins, doesn't seem all that likely to trade up. Ireland appears to already have his fallback guy in case Tannehill doesnt fall to him. Ireland loves flash and Floyd has the flash.

If there were to be a team that might be willing to make the big jump like Atlanta last year it would appear to be the Lions.

Legend
Legend
My dream scenario would be along the lines of DJ's mock ...... only with Richardson at #6 .. and a trade down adding a 2nd round pick.

Then we could go:

1) RB: Richardson
1B) OT: Martin
2) QB: Weeden
2B) WR: Sanu

I think that would be about as close to a perfect draft as possible. We would address all of the biggest needs in one fell swoop ..... and have the rest of the draft to fill minor holes, backups, and holes on defense.We would have a QB in case McCoy can't cut it ...... and I believe that he would be mature enough to handle learning the offense in a condensed timeframe. He can do everything we need a QB to do ...... but if he doesn't work out for some reason, we'd only have invested 1 of 4 high picks.

We could still go QB in next year's draft if we felt we wanted to ....... maybe even have a nice depth developing, and possibly even a trade opportunity down the road. Who knows?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would be a great draft, even if we let Savage and Mangini make the remaining choices.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

1) RB: Richardson
1B) OT: Martin
2) QB: Weeden
2B) WR: Sanu

I good live with that.

Check, check , check and check.

Filling 4 needs

It comes down to combinations and without a trade down scenario, then we can only hope to check 3 of the 4 off the list and the position I feel best about obtaining later would be RB.

That's why I have stated that I would have no problem taking a RB that high if we added another top 40 selection and still feel some Big needs in the process.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thinking about Richardson, here is why I think he will be our pick if he is available when we pick.

Can you think of a former Alabama Rb who was very productive in college, was a hard running touchdown machine but lacked the blazing speed (much like Richardson) who went on to be a very productive NFL Rb? Does the name Shawn Alexander sound familiar? The former Seahawk Rb who was one of the key players for Holmgren's offense in Seattle. I really think that MH envisions Richardson as the Browns' Alexander.

Why not Blackmon? Despite what many people say, that MH has not drafted a Wr high, he has. A talented guy with some character issues...Koren Robinson. I think the scars from being burned by Robinson are still there. And Heckert has a great track record for finding talented mid 1st to mid 2nd round Wr's.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I don't know anything about Martin, so I can't comment there, but if you drop Weeden and take another WR in that spot, I'd be quite happy.

Or, take an OLB, or DE there... or a CB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be just fine with taking 2 wr's this draft but wouldn't take both in the 1st 2 rounds. One I think is a definite but taking Broyles or one of the 3 out of Arkansas in the 3rd or 4th would be the way I would go.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know anything about Martin, so I can't comment there, but if you drop Weeden and take another WR in that spot, I'd be quite happy.

Or, take an OLB, or DE there... or a CB.

I would also like to draft some of those positions, but I think they are secondary to the offensive needs in our rebuilding process.

LBers can be found in this years 3rd and 4th rounds and CB might be the deepest position in the entire Draft, so I feel pretty good about getting some good players at those positions ... especially with the ammo we possess to Draft up.

DE might be a position we can't get to this year ... will see how things go, but we have at least hedged our bets their.

I think that you are on the mark though with the Weeden selection ... in that the top of the second round we could see a run on DE's.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

but I just think that we can improve the team more with other positions then RB with that high of a selection.

Care to share on that thought? RB is a need, we have a chance to get a good one, who in your mind, could come in and help the O as much as TR? I don't think we could drop to #6 and still get him, Tampa would snatch him up, then who would we get? But first I need to see who you got in mind that would be just as good.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
This crazy talk is giving me chills. Have enuff left over for a long snapper. These extra picks are right in Heck's roundhouse IMO. Hope he gets us some good "impact now" players, not projects. Some quality is worlds different than quality depth.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

but I just think that we can improve the team more with other positions then RB with that high of a selection.

Care to share on that thought? RB is a need, we have a chance to get a good one, who in your mind, could come in and help the O as much as TR? I don't think we could drop to #6 and still get him, Tampa would snatch him up, then who would we get? But first I need to see who you got in mind that would be just as good.

It's about combinations of picks.

Your first pick is like your serve in tennis. What you do with that sets up what follows.

If we stay at 4 and do not Drafty down then we have 3 selections in the top 37.

Out of those 3 selections our top needs are (imo) RT, WR, RB and QB if you feel we have to hedge our bets there. (I do)

One of those positions would not be obtainable if we take a RB with the 4th pick.

I don't care what some here think, but #1WR's are not going to be found in round 3.
neither will RT's who are ready to step in and play. The time for drafting a mid round developmental OT was last year or longer ago.
Finding a QB in the 3rd round or later means that you are taking the 5th, 6th or 7th best rated prospect.

RB's are found later in the Draft and as I pointed out in another post even in a weaker pool as with last years Draft class.

The Patriots grabbed Steven Riedly in the 3rd round and the 9ers took Kendall Hunter in the 4th (after we drafted FB Marcic I might add). Both guys I had targeted.

To this years prospects:

#2) Doug Martin; He will probably be available at 22 and not at 37.

#3) David Wilson; He will probably be available at 2 / 37.

#4) Lamar Miller; He will probably be available at 2 / 37 and then some if we trade back into the 2nd round.

#5) LaMichael James; He will probably be available in the late 2nd round, possibly falling to the 3rd round.

#6) Chris Polk: He will probably be available in the late 2nd round, possibly falling to the 3rd round.

#7) Isaiah Pead; He will probably be available at 3 / 67.
(Probably more of a 3rd down back and Branden Jackson should do well for us in that role)

#8) Bernard Pierce; He will probably be available at 3 / 67.

#9) Robert Turbin; He will probably be available at 3 / 67.

#10) Cyrus Gray; He will probably be available at 4 / 100.

My rankings might be different then yours, but as I have illustrated, this is a deep draft with possibly 9-10 going in the first 3 rounds.

Prospects in Bold are players I like and where I would target them in the Draft. Obviously with the later 2nd round we would be trading back into that round to draft those two I have listed.

Italic Means that he is not too far off the talent level of Richardson and could be another option in a trade down scenario.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/03/12 06:30 PM.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Very Good, my man. I don't doubt that we will get a RB, but who is your #4 pick that will set us up? Trade or no trade? We drop from #4 to #6, then what? I guess that depends on who's there. Who helps us the most? The more I think about it, maybe we should just drop to #10-#12, and then take WR Floyd or Ingram and go from there, maybe we pick up a couple of early rds in exchange. I don't know. Thanks for all your effort. It does help.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Who do you see drafting Martin between 23 and 36? I guess Tampa at 36 if they take Claiborne at 5. But with Blount already, wouldn't they be more likely to draft Wilson or miller?

I guess the giants could draft him.

Denver? I think denver is a lock to go DT.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Very Good, my man. I don't doubt that we will get a RB, but who is your #4 pick that will set us up? Trade or no trade? We drop from #4 to #6, then what? I guess that depends on who's there. Who helps us the most? The more I think about it, maybe we should just drop to #10-#12, and then take WR Floyd or Ingram and go from there, maybe we pick up a couple of early rds in exchange. I don't know. Thanks for all your effort. It does help.

If we don't trade I would take WR Justin Blackmon.

If we trade down then I would hope that Richardson is still on the board because Blackmon is probably gone ... if he is not there then I *might go with Reiff and take Doug Martin at 22 and WR Mohamed Sanu with the extra (speculating) 2nd round pick.

Weeden I would take at 37.

I say *might, because I would be tempted to take DE Melvin Ingram and take my RT (Johnathon Martin) at 22 if he is available and still look for a RB at the bottom of the 2nd (with trade) or 3rd round pick.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Who do you see drafting Martin between 23 and 36? I guess Tampa at 36 if they take Claiborne at 5. But with Blount already, wouldn't they be more likely to draft Wilson or miller?

I guess the giants could draft him.

Denver? I think denver is a lock to go DT.

I agree with the Giants, but there could be another team (Lions at 23 ?) who is targeting him at the bottom of the first round.

Also the Rams at pick 2 / 33

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/03/12 06:52 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I think that Tampa would desperately love to grab Claiborne if they can. They allowed 30 passing TDs last year, tied for 3rd worst in the league. They also only grabbed 14 INT.

They could also look at pass rush. They only had 23 sacks last year.

They desperately need help on defense.

I don't really see them going for Richardson. Even though Blount only ran for less than 800 yards last year, he did average 4.2 yards/carry. He had 5 TD last year compared to 6 the year before. I would guess that they'll feed him the ball a little more if anything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think that Tampa would desperately love to grab Claiborne if they can. They allowed 30 passing TDs last year, tied for 3rd worst in the league. They also only grabbed 14 INT.

They could also look at pass rush. They only had 23 sacks last year.

They desperately need help on defense.

I don't really see them going for Richardson. Even though Blount only ran for less than 800 yards last year, he did average 4.2 yards/carry. He had 5 TD last year compared to 6 the year before. I would guess that they'll feed him the ball a little more if anything.

They did resign Barber, but he's like 50 years old hehe ... oh and they signed our old budy Eric Wright
Their other CB is going to jail.

Some how I feel that the cupboards are still not full in TB at CB.

Some people speculate that Richardson could go to them because of them having a new rookie Head Coach and that he would be a safe pick for a rookie head coach ... I still think that they go Claiborne.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I can definitely see them going CB or pass rusher. That's where their dire needs are.

Hell, maybe we trade down to 5 with them, then down to 6 with St Louis.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I can definitely see them going CB or pass rusher. That's where their dire needs are.

That would be and also pretty bizarre.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
My dream draft would be finding a way to get both Blackmon and Richardson. But, since that's likely not going to happen, I'd be on board with your suggestions.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

That would be and also pretty bizarre.

Hmmm, I could have swore that I made a post in this thread this morning.

Along with others ... Deleted?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

My dream draft would be finding a way to get both Blackmon and Richardson. But, since that's likely not going to happen, I'd be on board with your suggestions.

IND: Luck
WAS: Griffin
MIA (f/ MIN): Tannehill
STL (f/ CLE): Kalil
TB: Claiborne
CLE: Blackmon
JAX: Floyd
CAR: Cox
BUF: Reiff
KC: Poe
SEA: Coples
AZ: Martin
DAL: DeCastro
PHI: Ingram
NYJ: Upshaw
CIN: Kirkpatrick
SD: Glenn
CHI: Brockers
CLE (f/ TEN): Richardson

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, but that's dreaming.

I am warming up to Richardson at 4 and the the best receiver at 22.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am warming up to Richardson at 4 and the the best receiver at 22.

My problem is that there are not a lot of #1 WRs. Which means I don't see any slipping to us at #22. However you can get a stud RB anywhere.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Man would that be sweet! They could offer the 22 and 68 to get up to where Dallas is I think and was visiting their board and they were talking about trading down..but then you hear about them wanting to trade up to 4 also. Thank goodness it is almost here.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

I would be in heaven! Heckert would be a God amongst GMs if he could pull that off!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Richardson’s talent too great to pass up

Link Copied to Clipboard