Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

In two drafts, the Browns pass defense went from 29th in the NFL in 2009, to #2 in the NFL in 2011.

I think this is scewed a bit. We couldn't stop the run. We never had a lead. Why would any team even need to throw the ball against the browns. This is an overinflated stat.

...but yes, the defense is better. But it is not a #2 rated pass defense.

For those trying to poo poo the progress made on the defensive side of the ball...check out these stats...

yards given up per game by defense

year....team.......rank.......yds per game...
2009...Browns.....31.............389.3....
2010......."...........22.............350.1....
2011......."...........10.............332.4....

points given up per game by defense

year.....team.........rank.......pts per game...
2009....Browns.......21............23.4....
2010......."..............13............20.8....
2011......."..............05............19.2...

In the 2010 draft, Holmgren and Heckert's first, they focused on the defensive side of the ball, drafting a Joe Hayden CB, in the 1st round and TJ Ward, Safety, in the 2nd round.

In the 2011 draft, the 2nd draft of the rebuilding process, the Browns again focused on the defensive side of the ball drafting Phil Taylor, DL in the first round and Sheard, DE in the 2nd round.

The next two drafts, 2012 and 2013, Heckert will be focusing on positions of need on the offensive side of the ball. While some see nothing but doom and gloom, I see a franchise rebuilding for the future, doing it the right way.

Browns fans can either support the rebuilding process or they can cry about it...their choice.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

RDE, WOLB, FS were horrid. Average at those positions would have given us a top 5 defense.

I disagree.

We need help at CB, S, OLB, DE, and a higher quality backup DT to even hope to smell a legitimate top 5 range.

The only reason our defense was as highly rated last year as they were is because teams stopped throwing the ball after the 1st drive of the 2nd half. I broke down something like 5 or 6 games earlier in the year where teams just stopped doing much of anything shortly after halftime except turn and hand off, or throw a safe, safe, safe, safe pass ..... often for almost no yards. The best play for opposing offenses after the half in many games last year was the punt.

How many times did our defense stop teams with the game on the line? How many times did they fail to do so.

Case closed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

We need help at CB, S, OLB, DE, and a higher quality backup DT to even hope to smell a legitimate top 5 range.

YT...do you believe the Browns are done drafting for the defensive needs?

Some of the defensive positions of need will be filled by developing talent already on the team...some will be drafted in later rounds...the young guys on defense will get better.

...as an example...that CB need...Buster Skrine was playing well late in the year and could very well earn the starting job at CB.

This is a great example of the Browns draft group finding talent in later rounds, coaching them up and giving a chance to show they were worthy of being drafted by the Browns.

For every problem, there is a solution...

For those trying to poo poo the progress made on the defensive side of the ball...check out these stats...

yards given up per game by defense

year....team.......rank.......yds per game...
2009...Browns.....31.............389.3....
2010......."...........22.............350.1....
2011......."...........10.............332.4....

points given up per game by defense

year.....team.........rank.......pts per game...
2009....Browns.......21............23.4....
2010......."..............13............20.8....
2011......."..............05............19.2...

This last stat, pts allowed per game, it is the bottom line stat.

The Browns scoring defense has improved steadily since Heckert focused his first two drafts on building the defense.

Finishing the 2011 season ranked #5 in points allowed per game is a record to be proud of.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Again, there is far more to our "top scoring and defensive rankings" than meets the eye at mere stats view ..... but you never go that deep. You just kinda look at the stats and decide that they are great ....... even when the play on the field says that they need a lot of help.

If I run the ball down your throat for almost 300 yards, am winning the game by 10-14 points, and thus don't pass very much, that doesn't mean that you have a stellar pass defense.

It doesn't mean that for the Browns either.

You go right on fooling yourself though mac.

I also loved the comment on another thread about how we should welcome a 2-14 season this year ..... because that would be part of the plan.

I guarantee that 2-14 gets someone, and most likely multiple someones, fired.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

poo poo? really?

I think everybody agrees the defense is well ahead of the offense and if the top draft picks from the last couple years continue to improve we could have a really good defense pretty soon.

I think everybody's point is that those defensive numbers are skewed by our anemic offense. If we had scored 24, do you really think our defense would have still held the Steelers to 14 and 13 points in 2 games? On paper it looks great that we held the Steelers to 27 points in 2 games... on the field I don't think most people buy that our defense would have done that if we could score more than 10... that's all people are saying...

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
I suppose its a vast oversimplification, but it seems to me that the difference between the best teams in the league and the worst teams in the league - from week to week - is one or two big play guys making one or two big plays. That's the best argument against trading down, imo.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I suppose its a vast oversimplification, but it seems to me that the difference between the best teams in the league and the worst teams in the league - from week to week - is one or two big play guys making one or two big plays. That's the best argument against trading down, imo.

I don't believe that is an oversimplification at all, in fact I think it's a fact. The only thing I would add is coaching... I think the vast majority of players in the NFL are pretty much interchangable football players... Then you have your Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Troy Polamalu, etc who make those big plays and make everybody around them appear a lot better.

yebat' Putin
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea.. I look at the Pats, Saints,Steelers, Packers etc.. They haven't picked high in how many years yet they are always the favorites to win it all. They fill a hole with a late pick or FA and they still win. They have ONE thing that makes that possible that we just can't get right. The Ravens proved you can do it without a GREAT QB but the rest of the team has to be overflowing with talent.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Why the Browns shouldn't Trade Down

Link Copied to Clipboard