Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'm warming up to the fact we have one of the best RBs in the draft in years. That's a plus. We also got his fullback. Another plus.

The last plus.

We know that Richardson knows how to find Smelley holes. That is all.

I was thinkin about this.

Trent Richardson is the only player in this draft that you can legimiately say he can be the best at his position in the next year or two. He's that good. The guy does everything and he does everything well. And he's not a scumbag? Awesome. This guy is going to be a fan favorite. The fact that he is not only willing to block, but a very very good pass protector is so valuable to the Browns. That is huge. One less thing for Pat Shurmur to worry about. I liken this pick to Joe Thomas in 2007, no brainer and will be very good right away.

Also, is there any other back in the league you would rather have than Richardson?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We could have the best RB in football behind what could be the best offensive line in football or atleast the best run blocking offensive line. They created monster holes last year. I gotta think if Richardson is watching film on the Browns, he is drooling. Cal ran a similar scheme so it may not take to long for Swartz and lauvao to gel.

Holmgren and Heckert have remade the Seahawks run game from OL to running back. I have to admit i watched them just to see Walter Jones, Hutch and Alexander pounding the rock. We should now have something very similar.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

We could have the best RB in football behind what could be the best offensive line in football or atleast the best run blocking offensive line. They created monster holes last year. I gotta think if Richardson is watching film on the Browns, he is drooling. Cal ran a similar scheme so it may not take to long for Swartz and lauvao to gel.

Holmgren and Heckert have remade the Seahawks run game from OL to running back. I have to admit i watched them just to see Walter Jones, Hutch and Alexander pounding the rock. We should now have something very similar.

Great points. They're doing the things that past regimes have failed to do. You can't put all your resources into the LOS, but you better put a big chunk of them into it, and Heckert the last 2 years has done just that.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Mourg...So the Browns offensive line "created monster holes last year" ???

We might be able to point to a few plays where holes were available, but to judge the overall performance of the offensive line and how consistent they were at "opening monster holes", we have to look at the stats accumulated over the entire season.

The Browns ranked 28th in the NFL in yards per game = 95.7

The Browns ranked 31st in the NFL in yds gained per attempt = 3.7

I know some would like to blame the injuries at RB as the reason for the poor rushing performance in 2011, but the loss of Steinbach at LG, which forced the Browns to use rookie OT Pinkston at LG and RG Lauvao becoming the starter at RG, plus the loss of Pashos for the first 3 games and the fact he played hurt in 2011 were the major reasons for the poor rushing attack in 2011.

The Browns offensive line did not perform well in the trenches, which lead to the poor rushing performances from our RBs.

You might be able to find a few plays where the Browns Oline opened some "monster holes" for the RBs, but they did not perform well enough to be ranked better than 28th in yds per game and 31st in yds per attempt.

I doubt that Richardson is drooling if he compared the holes he had to run through at Bama to the holes the Browns Oline opened for their RBs last season.

Time for the young OGs to step it up and time for the entire Oline to do their gelling in the off season and pre season, so they can hit the regular season performing at much higher level than last season.

The Browns are young at both OGs and at RT, but the Oline coach, George Warhop, needs to get these guys ready to play.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
More often than not this OL performed brilliantly in their run blocking and i don't give a rats ass about run stats. The run game sucked because the running backs lacked burst and or vision and defenses loaded up to stop the run because they knew Colt rarely looked anywhere other than where the pass rush was coming from.

RB sucked so we drafted a RB at 3. QB sucked so we drafted a QB at 22 and RT sucked so we drafted one at 37. The skill positions made the line look much worse than they were. The OL made holes and the running backs just lacked the burst and or vision to find and get through the hole.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
I understand why people pre-draft wanted a player other than a RB in the top10 because of value, etc.

However, I have a hard time not getting excited to see #33 line up in Brown and Orange

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When you're as bad as we are, you take the best player available.

Trent Richardson might be the best football player in the entire draft.

You take him.

Period.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

More often than not this OL performed brilliantly in their run blocking and i don't give a rats ass about run stats. The run game sucked because the running backs lacked burst and or vision and defenses loaded up to stop the run because they knew Colt rarely looked anywhere other than where the pass rush was coming from.

I don't know what games you were watching last year, but there was nothing brilliant about our run blocking last season. Ever. The OL actually did get better organized on pass-blocking as the season went on, but we lacked any real punch at the point of attack all season long.

A big part of that, no doubt, was the complete lack of a passing attack (no QB or WRs to keep the safeties and LBs honest). However, there weren't all that many gaping holes produced that weren't the resut of some sort of mis-direction to get the defensive front seven moving on its own to begin with. Heck, there weren't gaping holes period.

Hopefully, that will change by shoring up the RT position. I doubt Weeden will make that much of a difference THIS season (he's a rook and he WILL struggle -- particularly in our own division and with the worst WR corp in football), but maybe I'll be pleasantlly surprised.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I understand why people pre-draft wanted a player other than a RB in the top10 because of value, etc.

However, I have a hard time not getting excited to see #33 line up in Brown and Orange

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
according to football outsiders, you are both right.

our OL blocked better than our rushing stats indicated (3.94YPC instead of the actual 3.6YPC) but our pass blocking rated 16th while our rushing rated 23rd.

it's hard to judge how much these stats got dragged down from the wretched start to the year by our OL (noone is arguing that, right?), but according to their metrics at least, our OL outperformed the rest of our offense at least.

hopefully, we will now have unleashed their potential and we have an extremely young OL that grows together into a top unit for the forseeable future.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Obi was terrible at hitting the hole. I don't know if the holes were not exactly where they were supposed to be and he couldn't adjust or what. But many times there were good sized holes that he just didn't run through.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I'm not one who thought our OL was horrible and the cause of all of our problems, but I will stop well short of saying they performed brilliantly in run blocking... well short.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Last year was just a mess, with losing Steiny, and Peyton Hillis becoming a diva, Tony Pashos playing on one leg/having no good backup, and just everything else with that offense that got screwed by the lockout.

I think if you just look at the talent on paper, they could be very good. It's only on paper though, and I think you have to be happy that they have really added youth to that line in the last few years.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

Good trade by the Vikings. Not a bad trade by Cleveland.

Remember on the famous NFL Films clip when Bill Parcells is exhorting his Giants team back in the '80s by saying, "There's a reason you lift all them weights!'' And in this draft, there's a reason Cleveland built up all those draft choices entering this draft -- a league-high 13 in all.

I've been hearing GM Rick Spielman of the Vikings took advantage of a Browns team that didn't want to risk losing Trent Richardson, which is true. I've been hearing Browns GM Tom Heckert got snookered into throwing fourth-, sixth- and seventh-round picks. That's a load of crap. This is the easiest Monday Morning Quarterbacking to do (hey, that's trademarked!) after the draft.

There's no way Heckert could know what real offer Spielman had on the table. Spielman, as it turned out, had talked to Tampa Bay about the pick, but the Bucs were never seriously interested in it. But Heckert had no way of knowing that at the time. General managers making vital decisions for the long-term cannot sit there and say, "I wonder if Spielman really has something, or if he's bluffing.'' They have to make decisions on the fly. The Browns kept the top five picks of a vital draft intact and got the guy they wanted, Trent Richardson, and still had 10 picks to work with. I don't castigate Heckert. I applaud him.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1tXfA8KnK

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wish more people were smart enough to see it this way.

It was first rumored we only gave up a 3rd round pick to move up from 4 to 3.

I was happier to see we gave up a 4th, 6th, 7th.

Quality > Quantity.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree completely with that. I personally wasn't sure about the trade when they said a 3rd, but was ecstatic once they announced what it really was.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
You guys think the GM's out right lie to each other about the offers on the table ? I'm sitting here trying to figure out how that works..

Bucs: Hi , This is Tampa on the phone and we're interested in moving up to 3..

Vikes: Thats great ! What are you putting on the table ?

Bucs: Oh.. I don't know for sure, just interested in moving up..

Vikes: Ok.. let me call the Browns and see if they offer more..Hey Tom, The Bucs want our pick and thought we would call you to see what you would offer to take it?

Browns: Umm.. maybe, what's the best offer on the table ?

Vikes: Oh they are offering a ton.. but we will take your 4, 5, and 7th to insure you get the 3 spot Is it a deal ?

Browns: Oh heck yes ! And please call us back if they offer more and we can add a few more picks.

Really ? You guys REALLY think they out right LIE to each other ?

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
One thing I love about watching Richardson is his vision when working through the line. He seems to see the entire field while he is moving, and see the hole and hits it with power and acceleration. He can bounce a play when he needs to, juke a defender, run over a defender, man, he just really has it all. Plus he is truly a 3 down back.

I can't wait to see him running in Cleveland for real. I think that he is going to make a huge difference.

As an aside, I really like the Smelley pick to go with him because Smelley is a "3 down" FB as well. He is an exceptional receiver and blocker, and he really doesn't have to come off the field on 3rd down either. If they choose to, the Browns can keep their base package in even on bad 3rd down and distance situation, and still have the ability to reasonably expect to convert.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Who said anything about lies?

How do you know Tampa didn't offer #5 and a 3rd round pick and we counter offered with #4, a 4th, 5th, 7th?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Answer :

You don't know.

S
Legend
Legend
S
One other thing about TR that I don't know if it's been mentioned.

1 fumble in 614 touches at Bama.

Roll Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Big improvement over Hillis. Even when he was running well, he wasn't afraid to put the ball on the turf

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Roll Browns.

lol

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

RB sucked so we drafted a RB at 3. QB sucked so we drafted a QB at 22 and RT sucked so we drafted one at 37. The skill positions made the line look much worse than they were. The OL made holes and the running backs just lacked the burst and or vision to find and get through the hole.

mourg...I will give you this...you have the right to be wrong...and you are totally wrong if you believe the 2011 Oline "performed brilliantly in their run blocking"

You are great at coming up with excuses for their performance, blaming everyone but those responsible for opening the holes.

You forget, after the great year the Browns had in 2010, when Hillis ran for 1177 yds, as a team, the Browns ranked 20th in rushing. So let's not pretend the Browns Oline was one of the best at opening holes in 2010...they weren't! I would rank them average and I did see some good blocking at times...but I would never say the Browns Oline "performed brilliantly" in 2010.

In 2011, as a team, the Browns rushing game dropped off to 28th in the NFL. There were "reasons" for the drop off...Steinbach's injury forced the Browns to play Pinkston and he played like a rookie who had never played OG in college. Lauvao started one game his first season with the Browns making him virtually a rookie in experience.

On top of the inexperience at OG, the starting RT, Pashos was out at the beginning of the 2011 season and played hurt the rest of the year. When Pashos went down the Browns were forced to add offensive line help from the waiver wire.

Yet some want to claim the Browns Oline performed brilliantly, even though they didn't.

I guess, in order to lay the blame for the Browns poor rushing attack on Colt McCoy, a fan would have to make up an outrageous claim, such as the Browns 2011 offensive line "performed brilliantly" .

Mourg...if the Browns Oline "performed brilliantly " last season, why in the hell would Heckert draft another OG and a RT?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

I'll say one thing, he didn't look very excited.

Just watched video, ah well..
He's a tremendous well rounded back. It's good to see an impact player, right out the gate. Reservations about Weeden, I think Richardson in the backfield will do a great deal of good in balancing out the offensive attack. Not too many QB's would hate having someone like that next to them.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

but here's my best way of summing up Trent Richardson: He's a bad man. (On their Solid Verbal Podcast, Grantland contributors Ty and Dan wondered, somewhat morbidly, if Trent Richardson ran full speed into a horse whether the horse would survive. I am not sure there was a conclusion.)

Grantland

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

If Richardson keeps reading how great he is , he won't have anything to prove.

There are alot of great runninbacks in the NFL, the best of the best. People are talking like he is the 2nd coming, well I just hope he is solid and productive.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I don't think he will get a big head reading about himself after listening to his presser. Things like taking care of his Mama, making sure his name in the NFL was somin his two girls will be proud of, and wanting to do it right to make sure no man was gonna take food off his babies plate.... ( I wouldn't try it anyway )

I have a feeling this isn't a Leon..........

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
I get the feeling that we drafted a bunch of guys who are high character types, and to whom football is very important. I think that they love the game, and want to be great players.

I hated the Edwards pick because he always seemed more concerned with the trappings of the game than being a great player. I don't get that sense from the guys we drafted this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Who said anything about lies?

How do you know Tampa didn't offer #5 and a 3rd round pick and we counter offered with #4, a 4th, 5th, 7th?

Vikings GM Rick Spielman insists the Browns were not the only team interested in the No. 3 pick.

"We did have offers on the table, I can tell you that," Spielman said. "I’m not going to tell you who or what. But I will say Cleveland did the right thing." Considering how much time and energy Spielman put into shopping the No. 3 pick, he's likely telling the truth.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure these GMs realize there is a certain amount of gamesmanship involved in these trade scenarios especially when something is being looked at by more than one team.. however I have a hard time believing they would outright lie because if they did and they got caught, that would influence a lot of other people to not want to deal with you in the future...

In the end it's a small fraternity of a few dozen guys making these deals and they have to be around each other a lot.. I seriously doubt they flat out lie to each other...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm pretty sure these GMs realize there is a certain amount of gamesmanship involved in these trade scenarios especially when something is being looked at by more than one team.. however I have a hard time believing they would outright lie because if they did and they got caught, that would influence a lot of other people to not want to deal with you in the future...

In the end it's a small fraternity of a few dozen guys making these deals and they have to be around each other a lot.. I seriously doubt they flat out lie to each other...

Flat out lie,, No,, I doubt it. Exaggerate a bit,, you betcha.. misinform you as to the value somone else puts on a trade, count on it.. But flat out lie? I don't believe so.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of course they freakin lie. Mickey Loomis ring a bell?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Of course they freakin lie. Mickey Loomis ring a bell?

1 guy doesn't prove that 32 GMs routinely lie to each other to gain an edge in a trade situation.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Who really knows what happened.

However, I think Richardson was their guy a hell of a lot longer than we all thought. Not really going hard after keeping Hillis was probably the beginning of that.

Weeden and Richardson were the first two guys brought into the complex, which someone made a good point that there is no way this was a whim move because Kendall Wright was off the board. Doesn't make sense. Tom Heckert just doesn't roll that way, if there were rumors about the Browns with Kendall Wright at 22, that was a pure smokescreen to make sure they got their guy. I feel pretty confident in that.

Tampa did trade out of 5, so maybe they were serious about TR. I just know there have been conflicting reports of serious interest in someone other than Cleveland moving up.

Bottom line is, we got our guy, and Tom probably went into the draft thinking they had wiggle room to make moves and assure themselves of their guy.

Think about it, knowing what you know now, would you have been ok with the browns giving up 4 overall, a 4th, 5th, and 7th to make absolutely sure you get Joe Thomas in 2007, when there is speculation of someone wanting to move up to get a guy considered to be an elite prospect? It's the same thing, only a guy at the RB position.

I think it became evident that as it stood that night, there were 3 elite prospects in this draft, Luck was out of the equation, they missed out on RG3, and they just weren't going to take chances with Richardson.

Like I said, there's a really good chance the best running back in football over the next 5-6 years can be on your roster right now.

Legend
Legend
We traded the 4th, 5th and 7th, then traded again to get our 4th back.

So getting our guy in reality cost us a 5th and a 7th. The guy (apparently) we were targeting in the 3rd we still got so moving down didn't hurt us.

Is dropping a 5th and a 7th to insure we get our guy really that bad, even if there were no other offers on the table?

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

So getting our guy in reality cost us a 5th and a 7th. The guy (apparently) we were targeting in the 3rd we still got so moving down didn't hurt us.

Is dropping a 5th and a 7th to insure we get our guy really that bad, even if there were no other offers on the table?

I think it will be more clear for people when he's bowling over defenses in a few months.

And if Weeden ends up being a good move... wow

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Tampa did trade out of 5, so maybe they were serious about TR. I just know there have been conflicting reports of serious interest in someone other than Cleveland moving up.

Not only that, but they traded a 4th to move back up into the 1st to get a running back, I think it was Doug Martin. So they obviously wanted a RB pretty badly.

And if they were willing to toss in a 4th to get Martin, I have no problems believing that they would have used more (a 3rd, or maybe 4th 5th and 7th) to get Richardson.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

I think it will be more clear for people when he's bowling over defenses in a few months.

And if Weeden ends up being a good move... wow

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Can't remember where I read it but Heckert and Spielmen worked together at a previous spot. I believe Philly?

They were said to have a friendly professional relationship, so I'm sure Heckert felt comfortable with any info he was being relayed from Minnesota.

Maybe the value was inflated a little but in the end, a 4th, 6th and 7th is a small price to pay if you believe the player is a difference maker. We'll never know for sure but you just cannot take the chance. If you want the player, make the trade and live with the consequences.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard