Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Please, if the Browns were smart, they would just sit the kid all year, let Colt/Wallace run the show and see what happens next year. This is Colt's make or break year.

There is no way he sits his first year. What could he possibly learn from watching Colt play? Like the pick or don't like the pick he has to be the starter day one. How do you sit a first round pick over a third rounder who most on this board pilloried for being noodle armed and inaccurate?

Again, like it or not, meet Brandon Wheedon, the Browns starting QB.

Now they should get Ruben Randle (or insert your wide receiver pick) in the second, a lineman in the third and off we go.

It is what it is.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Should have sat still at 4, taken Blackmon, taken Glenn, then taken D. Martin.

Instead we have Richardson, a juggs machine, and we're down 3 picks. I can't believe this crap.

Calm down, it isn't the end of the world.

You didn't really think the team was going to draft the way you thought they should, did you??

Not picking on you, I like you. I am just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I never really thought much about Weeden, but now that we have him, I am good with it. He is a upgrade over what we have.....someone was getting those balls to the guy you liked.

And his age doesn't bother me at all. We haven't had a QB since Sipe play here 10 years, and Weeden is young enough to do that. Sure, it would be better if he was a mature 25 year old who gave baseball a shot, but it is what it is.

Also, I don't worry about the picks given up...the only one with any real value was the 4th at #118...the others, that's just no mans land where you are throwing darts.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Peen...never going to please everyone...

I thought the front office did a good job of taking the players they wanted before another team moved in to steal away the guy we were targeting.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
This is the end of Colt in Cleveland I think.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

No doubt. I could see him being traded during this draft process....Colt and a pick to move up.

We don't need him hanging around here. Give it to Weeden day one.

The only way for this pick to pay is to play Weeden this year to grow...there is still a learning curve...then we have out guy the next 7 seasons....I am good with that since our track record is we usually have a QB about 2 years, except for Couch, and that should have only lasted 2-3 years.

I saw this quote in a article just posted by Mac....since it is linked, I hope this short comment doesn't need it's own link...

Quote:

General Manager Tom Heckert acknowledged that Weeden was drafted to be the starting quarterback. He said the team would discuss whether or not to trade Colt McCoy Thursday night and Friday.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Guess we are looking to move McCoy ...... if we can find a taker ......

Heckert said discussions about trading McCoy would take place through the evening and into Friday. But in the meantime, Weeden was happy to celebrate what was somewhat of a surprising move for Cleveland to select him with their second first-round pick.

If you look at the presser Heckert was asked if they would trade McCoy and he basically said that they haven't thought about it at all up to that point but would talk about it last night and today.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded, but my guess is he'll be here as a back-up.

<><

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
j/c

People amaze me.

For months people praised Weeden and poo pooed on Tannehill not only on this forum but in all other mediums in this city.

Now that we have him people complain.

I don't understand people. This is like Frye all over again for those who defended Frye. What more do you need to know to know that Colt McCoy can't play?

The only thing that concerns me about Weeden is that he's in his physical prime right now, so he doesn't have a physical upside like other QB prospects. I also don't know about his ability to digest NFL defenses and make NFL reads. But his PHYSICAL SKILL SET and MENTAL MAKEUP (read: he's mature and knows how to be a professional) give him the best chance to succeed for the Browns. We haven't had a QB with the physical skills he's had in decades.

I'm going to go back to what Tony Rizzo said for months until he mysteriously abandoned it: "What part of WE NEED A QUARTERBACK DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Peen...you do realize the Browns have yet to address the offensive line needs?

...plus, the OGs we have will need to improve their play a bunch if Richardson is going to be productive and Weeden is going to have the time needed to deliver a pass.

If the Browns had a veteran offensive line that was playing well at the end of last season, I would be fine with starting Weeden.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

weedon will throw for 3500 yd and 25 td this season. winner

in a nursing home

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are 4 picks away in round two. I'm betting the guy they wanted is there and hoping we grab another high two pick.

If we pick Hill just pretend he went 22 and Weeden 37 and you will be relieved!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be ok if we took an WR with the next pick and a trade up to get an OT.

H
Rookie
Rookie
H

"YOU FAILED!"

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
mutt...I have no problem with the Browns taking Weeden at 22 and yes, the WR class is deep.

IMO, it's obvious, Heckert is concerned about not getting the guys they have targeted and he is willing to use draft picks to secure the people they need.

I like Stephen Hill...6-4, 215 and runs a 4.37...he could be the guy that stretches the field. BUT..don't be surprised if Hill is one of the first off the board in round 2....to get him, the Browns might have to trade up.

...there is another WR to consider, Reuben Randle, 6-3, 210 out of LSU, if Hill is gone.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

weedon will throw for 3500 yd and 25 td this season. winner

I appreciate the positive vibes you're trying to inject here, pokes, but who will he throw to? You mentioned him using his playmakers, well, we ain't got those.

As far as doing what you mentioned this season, if we can believe anything said by our FO, it takes two years to learn this offense, so we'll be asked to "be patient with the young man."

Also, last year we were in the bottom 5 or 6 in snaps from shotgun. Shurmur insisted he wouldn't change their "philosophy" even though colt threw better out of the gun. Are they going to change this for Weedon? Doubt it.

I think for the most part, people are more upset about how this FO uses their resources more than dislikes the specific players. I don't think anyone is angry at Weedon for getting picked or hopes he doesn't succeed, but for me personally, I do't get how bringing in a new QB to learn the offense over the next two years is a 1st-round-worthy upgrade over the guy we just suffered through the last two years with. Especially if he's going to be throwing to the same mediocre to poor receivers that McCoy has been throwing to.

This "winner" and "college yardage" stuff we've seen before. Look at Colt's stats. Who did he beat? How has that worked out?

We want to pass to set up the run, but we have nobody to pass to, and until Weedon has "learned the offense" we've got nobody to throw it.

Poor Trent Richardson. His first two years (25% of his career) will be spent slamming into AFCN defenses waiting for a QB who has never taken a snap from center learns the almighty WCO.

See the quandry?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
hater...you are new here...

Why rip on McCoy?...

...the Browns failed him as much as he failed the Browns...no QB was going to perform well with the supporting cast the front office gave McCoy to work with.

If the Browns were smart, they would keep McCoy as the starter and give Weeden as much time as he needs to learn the offense.

Worst thing the Browns can do...throw Weeden in to the wolves, behind a suspect offensive line and young WRs and RB.

Most teams need two good QBs to get through a season...when Weeden is ready, he's the starter and McCoy moves to backup.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Should have sat still at 4, taken Blackmon, taken Glenn, then taken D. Martin.

Instead we have Richardson, a juggs machine, and we're down 3 picks. I can't believe this crap.

Calm down, it isn't the end of the world.

You didn't really think the team was going to draft the way you thought they should, did you??

Not picking on you, I like you. I am just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I never really thought much about Weeden, but now that we have him, I am good with it. He is a upgrade over what we have.....someone was getting those balls to the guy you liked.

And his age doesn't bother me at all. We haven't had a QB since Sipe play here 10 years, and Weeden is young enough to do that. Sure, it would be better if he was a mature 25 year old who gave baseball a shot, but it is what it is.

Also, I don't worry about the picks given up...the only one with any real value was the 4th at #118...the others, that's just no mans land where you are throwing darts.

Right, but who is he getting the ball to now? Greg Little is our #1 and will be next year regardless of who we pick. Heck, Massaquoi will probably still be our #2 WR, which makes me a little sick to my stomach.

I don't have a problem that we've traded those picks. My problem with trading the picks is what we traded them for. Heckert put on this big show about "we're going to get a really good player at 4," "we like 4 guys at 4," "[trading up is] probably not somethign we're going to do," "you can't panic and move up... we did it before for pass rusher and DT and in hindsight, we really shouldn't have." We were guaranteed a blue-chip player at 4. We got a blue chip player. But now we lost all our maneuverability for the picks where decisions really matter. The first pick was easy. You've got Richardson, you've got Blackmon if you want him... a no-lose situation. now we have to wait and see who falls to our picks from here out.

We have to go with a guy who will be a third receiver to start out at some point. Could have been a starting-caliber guy immediately. We very easily could have made that same trade to DEN's 31 pick if we had taken Blackmon first then Doug Martin second. There's two starters right there and we wouldn't have traded as much away.

who knows what we're stuck with at OT if we miss out on Glenn to Baltimore.

It's not about the specific players. It's about the asset management.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt. I could see him being traded during this draft process....Colt and a pick to move up.

We don't need him hanging around here. Give it to Weeden day one.

The only way for this pick to pay is to play Weeden this year to grow...there is still a learning curve...then we have out guy the next 7 seasons....I am good with that since our track record is we usually have a QB about 2 years, except for Couch, and that should have only lasted 2-3 years.

I saw this quote in a article just posted by Mac....since it is linked, I hope this short comment doesn't need it's own link...

Quote:

General Manager Tom Heckert acknowledged that Weeden was drafted to be the starting quarterback. He said the team would discuss whether or not to trade Colt McCoy Thursday night and Friday.

Can't quote anything, but already on the news this morning, there is talk that Heckert is saying they may trade McCoy,,,

FWIW

Personal Opinion Alert:

Watching tape this morning on Weeden... You know what made him decent? Blackmon.... he won't have Blackmon here so what we have is Colt McCoy II.. with a stronger arm, 2 inch height and 6 lbs and older.

I hope the kid does well, but on paper, this was idiotic..

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/27/12 08:35 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
NRTU

This is from an article on cleveland.com

Quote:

When asked if he would try to trade McCoy over the next two days of the draft, Heckert said, "It's something we'll talk about tonight and tomorrow." He added that the Browns could possibly move up from their next pick at No. 37 to the top of the second round.

This is why I hate the media sometimes...

Heckert said he hadn't thought about trading Colt until he was asked.

and then he specifically said he was very happy staying at 37....

<><

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Just clicking...

I hate this pick for the reasons already stated (too many times). I just don't see any elite characteristics in Weeden's game that would put him so high on anybody's draft board. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but... well... we'll see... Those guys are the pros and I'm just another schmoe with an opinion.

THAT SAID...

It is what it is. Weeden is our QB. Obviously, the FO thought the many holes in McCoy's game couldn't be fixed and/or worked around and it was time to replace him. Dude was a 3rd round QB. Later-round QBs rarely turn out to be special and Colt is just another example of that, I'm afraid.

Time to sit back and see what Heckert has left up his sleeve. We need to get our shiney new QB some additional help (Richardson was a great start). Obviously, RT/WR need to be addressed. There are some good ones in each category left. I'm leaning toward a RT at #37 because Weeden will be a sitting duck if we don't shore up the right side.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who will Weeden be throwing the ball to?

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Well, let's see, Little is a good #2, Norwood is a good slot guy. They only need 1 more WR. He has an average TE and he has an extremely good receiver out of the back field.

And a lot of the guys still at 37 that will be just as good as Blackmon.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'd like to see the Browns trade up and take the top WR available. Then, if they have to, trade up again to get a RT. If they can accomplish those 2 things, paired with Richardson and Weeden, it will still be a very solid (on paper) draft. Anything after those 4 would be gravy.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

Draft isn't over yet. Lots of good WRs left who would be improvements over the flotsam we have at the position now. I'm just saying let's wait and see what Heckert does with the rest of this draft.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

That's my problem.. he won't have Blackmon here. he better hope that Little makes a giant leap or we're exactly in the same spot.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

That's my problem.. he won't have Blackmon here. he better hope that Little makes a giant leap or we're exactly in the same spot.

How are we exactly in the same spot?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Well, let's see, Little is a good #2, Norwood is a good slot guy. They only need 1 more WR. He has an average TE and he has an extremely good receiver out of the back field.

No they won't be.

And Richarson isn't half the receiver that Hillis is. I don't think he will make a difference at all. Especially against our division.

They are sos (stuck on stupid) how many 2nd round picks will we waist trying to find a go to WR?

At least one more it seems.
And we certainly can't attract one in FA.

In two years time we have added and subtracted a RB and a QB and replaced them with a RB and a QB in this years first round.

Brilliant!

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

How are we exactly in the same spot?

We are not

1) Richardson > Hillis

2) If they get a guy like Stephen Hill today then our WR corp will be Hill, Little and MoMass which IMO will be pretty good. Also if Weeden can throw the deep ball that McCoy couldn't constantly do then the offense should be improved.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really / really like the TR move , even though I think Heckert got played .. QB was a dumb ass reach .. Wonder if Childs will last until the third round .

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

We are not

1) Richardson > Hillis

2) If they get a guy like Stephen Hill today then our WR corp will be Hill, Little and MoMass which IMO will be pretty good. Also if Weeden can throw the deep ball that McCoy couldn't constantly do then the offense should be improved.

free...agree...Hill would be great..

...there is also Ruben Randle out of LSU and the best TE in the draft is still on the board, Fleener.

The Browns sure could use another 2nd round pick, at the top of the second round....they could get their RT and WR.

That has to be the Browns dilemma at this point...do they go WR or RT?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Last year we suffered by having the 4th best QB in the AFCN. This year, we will have...Ah, crap.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

No they won't be.

I don't see why they cannot. Then again, I remember your old signature. You certainly were sold on a solid yet unspectacular WR.

Quote:

And Richarson isn't half the receiver that Hillis is. I don't think he will make a difference at all. Especially against our division.

That's idiotic. Richardson is a better receiver than Hillis. And he is far superior at running the ball too. And he is far superior at blocking.

Quote:

They are sos (stuck on stupid) how many 2nd round picks will we waist trying to find a go to WR?

Who cares? The Eagles WRers were built on 2nd round picks. 2nd rounders become STUDS all the time.

Quote:

In two years time we have added and subtracted a RB and a QB and replaced them with a RB and a QB in this years first round.

Brilliant!

So we should just stick with failures because of when we drafted them? Now that would be incredibly stupid and a very Phil Savage thing to do.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We don't need "1 more wide receiver." We need a great wide receiver. We let him go. In fact, we gave away all of our trade ammo to not pick him.

We should have the #1 WR, the #1 RT, and the #2 RB in this draft right now.

We may have been able to get the #1 WR, the #1 slot WR, and the #1 RT in the draft.

Instead, we have the #1 RB, the #4 (debateable) QB, and are waiting to see what falls to us at WR and RT. Really?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I really / really like the TR move , even though I think Heckert got played .. QB was a dumb ass reach .. Wonder if Childs will last until the third round .

These clowns couldn't find a WR if they where hit in the face with one [Julio Jones] or two [Justin Blackmon], but hey we got a Club.

I am overjoyed ... Not!

Only these clowns would trade up for a RB who's position have gone the way of the Doe, Doe bird in this League.

Incompetent (panicking) Idiots.
If someone jumps off a bridge do you follow?
No you take an equally rated prospect as in Justin Blackmon and keep all of your picks to maneuver later in the Draft.

Hill is a project, why do you think he dropped out of the first round?

Jeffery will eat his way out of the League in 3 or 4 years time.

Greg Childs is probably the player I like the most that's left, but he is probably not even on our stupid idiotic board.

Randle and Sanu will be complimentary types. We have that covered 5 times over.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

We don't need "1 more wide receiver." We need a great wide receiver

I agree. Which is why I am stunned people are pissed we passed on Blackmon.

What the Browns need is a guy who stretches the field deep. Several WR'ers who can do that in the next round.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Richardson is a decent receiver where as Hillis is a great receiving option. Hillis is a decent back where as Richardson is a great back and both are good blockers no real difference there. Big difference is that Richardson had vision with power. Hillis had power.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, Greg Childs are all still on board and I would not be surprised if every single one of them dont end up having the better career compared to those that went in the first. I like this group much much better than the first rounders.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Richardson is a decent receiver where as Hillis is a great receiving option. Hillis is a decent back where as Richardson is a great back and both are good blockers no real difference there. Big difference is that Richardson had vision with power. Hillis had power.

That's debatable and still unproven.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
So is the "fact" that Blackmon will be a great WR.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, Greg Childs are all still on board and I would not be surprised if every single one of them dont end up having the better career compared to those that went in the first. I like this group much much better than the first rounders.

Horse feathers.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

maybe you need to go watch Hillis Tape again?

He ran for 587 yards on 161 carries any only played 10 games. If he averaged 80 yards in 6 games he would be over 1000 yards. it's not like he was as terrible as people made him out to be. His production did fall off but he also came back down to earth and admitted he was wrong.

we have added 2 rb's 2 qb's in 2.5 years. That is not going to build a football team. I still feel like we wasted a pick on TR when we could have easily resigned Hillis, draft Blackmon, a stud OT, and at wost case weeden in the 2nd round. I'd be doing the nanner dance for sure.

Nonetheless... what is done is done.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard