Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Loki
Did you read the TR>Hillis part of my post?
Yes TR is a stud. He was 'my' pick. I'm merely talking about Weeden having the same targets as Colt. Now we'll see if it's Colt's fault we led the league in drops or is it our laughable WR core. How many drive killing drops are we going to overlook before we start calling for Weeden's head?
I like Weeden's arm. I just think he'll be in Depends undergarments by the time he adjusts to the NFL. OSU ran a hot read, hurry up, spread, shotgun O. He admits they barely huddled or called actual plays using pro style terminology.
I'm behind the guy. I want nothing more than for the Browns to win. I'm just skeptical until given reason not to be. The Browns have given me no reason not to be.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Weeden will start this year.

He is 3 years older than Colt McCoy. I don't see the age thing as a huge problem. Colt McCoy is likely to be a former NFL player by the time he hits 28. I don't say that to be hateful, but because I just don't see the ability there. I honestly do not see him ever starting another game, barring disaster.

McCoy is 25. he will be 26 when the season starts. Is there really that big a difference in age between him and Weeden?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Yes, Weeden's not played under center and hasn't called plays in a huddle, he's used hand signals from a very simplistic offense.

Yeah he can learn the WCO, learn to play under center and call plays in a huddle in one off season...

#GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think you are discounting how much TRich will mean to this team. TRich could be as good as AP. The best thing about RB is that they are day 1 starters who do not need to adjust as much as any other position. Add in the fact Schwartz is probably better than anyone that played RT last year and the run game has been upgraded tremendously. QB's best friend is a running game and play action. I expect the Browns to run a WCO with an emphasis on TRich like the Seahawks did when Alexender was there.

My prediction is 1300 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving and 15 TDs and OROY honors.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We can give Weeden a dozen or so plays to learn, and I bet he'll have them down by the end of training camp. Add in the runs, and I think he'll be just fine.

One thing I know is this ..... he won't ignore an uncovered receiver on the outside. That happens again next year and it'll be 6 baby.

I look at every other QB in our division who had to learn to play under Center coming in from the spread, and those guys adjusted just fine. I suspect that Weeden will too.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep he will start this year....and struggle like rookies do. He'll struggle, reading D's, staring down WRs, etc. because they all do. Let's say you and me are right and he can make the NFL transition....well by the time he starts really getting it he's on the wrong side of 30 and the body starts breaking down.

Sorry but his age is a HUGE deal. Your talking about getting 0-2 prime years for a 22nd pick. I don't like Colt at QB either, but that is utterly stupid. If we traded the 3rd and 5th to move up in the latter half of the 2nd I would have defended the pick based on how bad our current QB play is, but 22nd for a guy who in theory could never play a true prime year for you?.....stupid.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
I just find it funny that you're the optimist and I'm the realist.

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Why are we assuming that Weeden's body is going to break down in his early 30's?

Sure, normally QB's don't play until they are 40, but most all of the QB's who came into the league late have been able to play well into their late 30's and some into their 40's.

I don't see why Weeden cannot do the same.

you had a good run Hank.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I look at every other QB in our division who had to learn to play under Center coming in from the spread, and those guys adjusted just fine. I suspect that Weeden will too.

Name one of our receivers that would start for any of the other AFCN teams. I've never seen a WR fight less for a ball that is in the air than MM. I've never seen a WR fight so hard for a ball that is in the air than AJ Green.
Weeden has his work cut out for him. I'm a fan of Little. Let's hope he makes a big leap or Weeden is going to look like a repeat of every QB we've had since our return.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm the realist, you're the pessimist.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Name one of our receivers that would start for any of the other AFCN teams. I've never seen a WR fight less for a ball that is in the air than MM. I've never seen a WR fight so hard for a ball that is in the air than AJ Green.
Weeden has his work cut out for him. I'm a fan of Little. Let's hope he makes a big leap or Weeden is going to look like a repeat of every QB we've had since our return.

We'll see what happens when our receivers have a QB who can actually throw a decent pass their direction.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

With that sig, you're the optimist!

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the most optimistic I have felt in months and months .....

I can't wait for the season to start!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the most optimistic I have felt in months and months .....

I can't wait for the season to start!

...We're screwed..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
See, we do agree!

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Weeden may play until he's 50, but those aren't his best years...aka the prime of a man's life. Favre could still get a check if he wanted to, but no none is going to compare 2010 Favre with the guy that won all of those MVPs anytime soon. You guys are acting like because he's 28 there isn't the normal learning curve for rookie QBs. He is going to struggle next year. He'll get somewhat better hopefully year two, but the light isn't going to come on completely more than likely until year three. At that point dude is turning 32 years old and we are silently already looking for his replacement.

This is assuming he works out. If not then we wasted not only a 22nd pick, but will have missed an opportunity to draft a potential high valued prospect at QB next year......and sorry, but with that schedule we aren't winning more than 6 games.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, but this is the worst 1st round pick I can think of in a while......well since I bagged on the BE pick...lol

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We'll see what happens when our receivers have a QB who can actually throw a decent pass their direction.

Maybe they'll only drop 35 passes this year. That'll be a huge improvement.

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
This guy evaluates the first round draft picks via gifs. Check out 22 pick.

web page

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Legend
Legend
Well ... it was creative.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

You guys are acting like because he's 28 there isn't the normal learning curve for rookie QBs. He is going to struggle next year. He'll get somewhat better hopefully year two, but the light isn't going to come on completely more than likely until year three. At that point dude is turning 32 years old and we are silently already looking for his replacement.

I agree with ya. I loved the TR selection at #3, just love it, but we used a #22 pick on a QB who'll turn 29 in a few months?

Like others said, by the time he's in his "prime", he'll likely be 32 or 33 and then we'll reach the point where we start worrying about our next quarterback of the future.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Again, McCoy will be 26 when the season starts.

Is 3 years really a huge, appreciable difference?

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think it is very significant, when you're talking about the "lifespan" of an NFL quarterback.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think it is very significant, when you're talking about the "lifespan" of an NFL quarterback.

in regards to the lifespan of a CLEVELAND BROWN QB.. it is not very significant..

if Weeden gives us just THREE solid years of QB play.. that will better than any other QB since 99.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I don't.

If the kid can play, then he can play. If he turns out able to play, then he could have a 6-10 year career ahead of him. Given that the bums we've paraded through Berea over the past 9 years or so have had an average shelf life of about 1.1 seasons ...... I could deal quite nicely with a QB giving us 6-10 high quality years.

Plus, if he stabilizes the QB position, we can then go about developing a QB the right way instead of always having to draft them and throw them in the fire.

I like the pick a lot. I would have preferred Luck or RG3, obviously, but I feel that Weeden will wind up being a really good pick for the Cleveland Browns in the long run.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

What do you think are the biggest factors in an NFL QB's lifespan? I'd say they're his health and his skills, and I think those are pretty safe, "Captain Obvious" answers.

Let's assume for a moment that Weeden's skills are up there with those of QBs who've been at least pretty good, if not great (because if the skills aren't there, then his age becomes a moot point). How many seasons does an above average QB last in the NFL before getting beat up week after week takes its toll in the form of diminishing his skill set? Brady has played 12 seasons, is 34, and looks like he's got another 5 seasons left. Peyton Manning had 13 before his neck injury, and we're about to find out how many more seasons he has in him. Kurt Warner played 11 seasons before deciding to retire at 38, and probably could've played until he was 40.

Point is, if the skillset is there, there's no reason Weeden can't give us 10 years at QB. Two of the three best QBs in this league will be 33 and 35 when the 2012 season begins, the ages Weeden will be a month into his 4th and 6th seasons as a pro. Those guys aren't showing any signs of slowing down and they've both got a decade-plus of NFL punishment under their belts, and both have had significant injuries to boot.

Cue people bashing me saying I'm comparing Weeden to Brady or Manning or Brees

A
Legend
Legend
A
IF he stabilizes the qb position, THEN we can go about developing a qb the RIGHT way instead of throwing them into the fire.

The way it sounds, Weeden is going to get thrown into the fire.

Sound familiar to what the Browns have done over the years?

Draft a qb to have him sit and learn - change mind after a few games, throw the new guy in, ruin him, then draft again. Although this time it sounds like the new guy is the starter right now, as opposed to giving him a year to sit. (sounds that way - we'll see come opening day).

I'm expecting a LOT from our first round qb.

On a side note - Weeden's age doesn't bother me at all. So he's older than Aaron Rodgers..........so what?

People that are letting his age bother them, saying things like "his body is going to start breaking down",......they forget that he spent, what, 6 years playing baseball?

He's got no more wear and tear on him than any other qb coming out of college.

A body's "breakdown" occurs from one of 2 things. The first thing would be repeated hits over years. Weeden doesn't have any more or any less of that than any other qb. The second thing would be that one big hit that separates a shoulder, or knee, etc. And that can happen to any player on any given play. (as for qb's - it's much more likely with a "running" qb, and Weeden doesn't appear to be that type of qb.)

My problem with Weeden is he's a second round qb the Browns reached for with a first round pick. His accuracy is nothing special. (comparing his college throws to any other nfl qb's college throws)

Strong arm? Great. What's that mean?

Can he play under center, or are we going to run all shot gun plays this year?

Some (me) might say Blackmon made Weeden. Others (you?) might say Weeden made Blackmon.

In watching some more of his college games, as that's all anyone has to go on at this time, I didn't see superb accuracy. No more so than most top flight college programs qb's. I didn't see him hitting "nfl open" receivers. Can't fault him for that as he was playing the college game. But I will say "open" in the nfl is generally much different than "open" in college. That's not a plus or minus for him - it's just a fact.

But, we got our first round qb.

I expect a LOT from him in terms of points scored per game, yards thrown for per game, and wins. I also don't expect him to get 3 years to put it all together. Why? He's a first round qb - it will all be there this year, right?

I also expect a no excuses attitude. He'll be coming in with a full camp, a good running back, and an improved line. (hopefully improved line).

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

He's a first round qb - it will all be there this year, right?

All? No. Most? If he's the guy the FO thinks he is, then yeah.

Legend
Legend
Arch is just mad because McCoy is on his way out of town.

I fully expect Weeden to be an upgrade over McCoy, however he may struggle at times, especially early. We are going to have a rookie QB, RB, and RT, so pass protection breakdowns are almost inevitable. Regardless, I fully expect Weeden to be effective where McCoy was ineffective.

I do not expect a repeat of last year's 13.6 points per game debacle. I do expect that our offense will look considerably more professional, even with the rookies, and that we will no longer see wide open (or completely uncovered) receivers waving their hands futilely in the air as the QB ignores them to throw a 2-3 yard pass to the middle of the defense instead.

I think that our offense will take major steps forward. Do I expect perfection? Obviously not. No one should. (unless they are spiteful, and looking for problems even if we improve dramatically ..... and I fully expect that there will be a couple of posters with that attitude even if we improve on offense by leaps and bounds) Regardless, I suspect that we will start the year in a somewhat limited fashion on offense, as we did last year, but I would be willing to bet that we expand the offense as the year goes by, instead of having to contract it as we did last year.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Hilarious dude!!!! I'm upset because Colt appears to be on his way out of town? Seriously?

Sorry bud, couldn't be more wrong.

See, I'm a BROWNS fan. I don't CARE who the qb is. Please, get that through your skull, could you?

What I WILL do is hold Weeden to the same standards you have held our past qb's. If you can't deal with it, ignore me, or quit posting. It's fairly simple bud.

What I find amazingly humorous is you are now backing off your expectations of Colt. Your hatred of Colt is well known. More than well known.

You have repeatedly, almost to the point of absurdity - blamed last season on Colt, single handedly holding the team back.

I, on the other hand, looked at the TEAM. Your only response to my logic is, was, and has been: "oh, Arch is a Colt lover".

Makes you look petty and uninformed to those with an open mind.

However, I will play your game. We have upgraded our line (hopefully). We have a stud running back. And we got the first round qb you desired.

There WILL be huge improvements in our team..............or, you'll look even dumber than you did this past year blaming everything on Colt. And for the record, I don't care what the qb's name was last year. YOU, sir, blamed everything on the qb - unless his name was Seneca - then you almost wet yourself over how much of an upgrade he was over the other qb.

YOUR hatred and blame towards Colt is my issue. You're going to get proven right, or wrong, come this season.

I most certainly do NOT expect to see or hear you lay out excuses for Weeden. He's a first round pick, with a stud back, and what we hope is an improved line.

Last year, according to you, all we needed was a qb. You got your wish. You made your bed. But the way you're posting now.......seems like your backing off your claims that the qb was the problem.

Legend
Legend
You talk in circles, blathering on incoherently about the most insignificant minutia, and now you are preparing for our future QB to fail because ....... I didn't like Colt McCoy as a QB, and didn't feel that he had the ability to be an NFL QB ..... and our front office evidently agrees?

Wow. That's being pretty petty dude. Plus, and I don't really know how to break this to you ..... but I simply don't have that much power within the Browns front office. They don't call me every day for advice ....... it's only been once or twice a week this off-season.

For the record, I never said that our only problem was McCoy, but rather that our BIGGEST problem, BY FAR, was McCoy.

There is a significant difference.

When you can't tell the difference between the starting QB and the bum backup, even when the bum backup is forced to play without the starting and backup TE, and slot receiver .... then there's a major problem. When a receiver and team leader like Josh Cribbs says that he "looks forward" to how the offense will look with said bum backup .... then there's a problem with the starter.

Colt McCoy might as well pack his bags today. He is done in Cleveland, and he is done as a starting NFL QB. There is not one NFL team who would substitute him for their starter. I don't even think that the Jaguars would .... because there guy as a rookie was Colt McCoy as a 2nd year player.

I am going to go root for the Cleveland Browns. You can root against them if you like, hoping for a player to fail so you can be "right".

I have always said that I would happily be wrong about a player when I said they stink. I said that I would own up to it as well. I did so last year with both Little and DQ. I was HAPPY to be wrong.

I get the feeling that it would make you miserable beyond words if Weeden succeeds. I also doubt that you will say anything good about him if he does, instead going back to petty nitpicking. I can hear you now ........ "We went from 13 PPG to 60? Shoulda been 62. A good QB woulda got us to 70."

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I do wonder who dropped passes will be blamed on this year. QB or WR. Last year it was Colts fault. Will Weeden get the same?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think that it will be Weeden's fault if the receivers are thrown into bad situations.

I don;t expect that to happen though.

How many dropped passes did Wallace have in his 3 starts? I think 2 by the normally reliable Norwood ...... but that's really all I can remember.

Anyone else remember any other drops when Wallace was in the game?

Edit to add: Also, Watson is normally reliable, and last year he had 7 drops. I think that he had 1 in 2010. It seemed like every receiver we had hit career highs in drops last year.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 04/28/12 12:45 PM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You make it sound like all 40+ drops were because of ball placement. I can recall MANY hitting Little in the hands, in stride or just standing still in a curl route... Yet dropped. I don't care where the ball is placed. If it hits your hands you have to catch it. Be it thrown by a QB or my nephew.

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

You talk in circles, blathering on incoherently about the most insignificant minutia,

I do? What would that be?
Quote:

and now you are preparing for our future QB to fail because ....... I didn't like Colt McCoy as a QB, and didn't feel that he had the ability to be an NFL QB ..... and our front office evidently agrees?

I'M preparing Weeden to fail? I'M WANTING Weeden to fail? Seriously? Weeden is everything YOU said was needed: tall, big, big arm............dude, all last year you blamed everything on Colt. It would appear Weeden will be the starter. But now you back off of what you expect? Hilarious!!!!

Quote:

For the record, I never said that our only problem was McCoy, but rather that our BIGGEST problem, BY FAR, was McCoy.

You got your wish. It would appear McCoy is either gone, or not the starter. You got your wish and your shiny brand new first round qb. I guess we'll see, right? I will hold this first round qb to the exact SAME standards YOU set, and posted over and over and over, as a third round qb. If you can't deal with it, pound sand.
Quote:

When you can't tell the difference between the starting QB and the bum backup, even when the bum backup is forced to play without the starting and backup TE, and slot receiver .... then there's a major problem.

What?
Quote:

When a receiver and team leader like Josh Cribbs says that he "looks forward" to how the offense will look with said bum backup .... then there's a problem with the starter.

Honestly, are you THAT stupid? Seriously?

Show me one single player in the nfl that would say anything different after the starting qb gets injured. Show me one, just ONE player that would say, after a starter gets injured, "well, the backup sucks, so we're screwed." Geez, dude, you make yourself sound stupid using Cribb's comment like you did.
Quote:

Colt McCoy might as well pack his bags today. He is done in Cleveland, and he is done as a starting NFL QB. There is not one NFL team who would substitute him for their starter. I don't even think that the Jaguars would .... because there guy as a rookie was Colt McCoy as a 2nd year player.

May very well be. Has he been traded yet?
Quote:

I am going to go root for the Cleveland Browns. You can root against them if you like, hoping for a player to fail so you can be "right".

Here, again, you sound like a stupid jerk. I root for the Browns, and I defend the Browns players. YOU, on the other hand? Actually, what you did all last season was pathetic. Again, if you can't deal with it, tough! YOU, sir, are the one that berated Colt, constantly. You got your wish. If you can't deal with it now, sucks to be you. YOU made your bed - lay in it.
Quote:

I get the feeling that it would make you miserable beyond words if Weeden succeeds.

So, you honestly think I would be miserable if the Browns were good? Honestly? Did you mean that? I cannot fathom a more stupid statement being made. I simply can't fathom it. That just blows my mind - that you think I would enjoy the Browns stinking.

Here's what I DO know - you blamed our past qb, and the one before that, and the one before that...............I have rooted for EVERY one of not only our qb's, BUT every player. YOU, sir, did nothing but berate our last qb. Look in a mirror bud. The guy looking back at you is NOT a fan, he's a bitcher.
Quote:

I also doubt that you will say anything good about him if he does, instead going back to petty nitpicking. I can hear you now ........ "We went from 13 PPG to 60? Shoulda been 62. A good QB woulda got us to 70."

Idiotic remarks are just that: Idiotic.

I still find it amazing that you are backing off your expectations ALREADY!!!!

And your only reply is "well, arch is mad about colt". Sad man, really.

I will be expecting out of Weeden exactly what you have said we'll get. YOU said it, not be bud.

If Weeden pans out, I will be the happiest guy around. I will be the first to say I was wrong.

If he doesn't - YOU will be the first to start laying out excuses for him. Excuses don't cut it, remember?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Ain't it the truth.

First, I don't know of a single Colt fan on this board. The strongest praise I've read was that the light might turn on this year. Hardly a ringing endorsement from a fanboi. Although there is a lot of hate, ahem.

We selected the 4th best QB of the draft, to sign the 4th best QB in the AFCN. This isn't something to get excited about.

His potential drops dramatically if he starts game 1. It isn't about age, its about adjusting to the pro game. It doesn't matter if you're 22 or 29. The 29 year old rookie isn't magically given the ability to be up to speed because of age.

IMHO, the Browns would be better served to let Colt start, and let Weeden get up to speed for a year. Colt is cheap, and would at least make a decent back-up. He won't be worth much in a trade.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If Weeden is good, he can easily play 10 years.

I think he's more professional and a better arm than Colt and will start day one.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You make it sound like all 40+ drops were because of ball placement. I can recall MANY hitting Little in the hands, in stride or just standing still in a curl route... Yet dropped. I don't care where the ball is placed. If it hits your hands you have to catch it. Be it thrown by a QB or my nephew.

And I have never said that either.

However, guys tend to get on rolls when this stuff starts. Guys get a concussion or 2, and they start dropping balls. They get tired of being belted as soon as they catch the ball, and they start dropping stuff.

I don't like it, but it happens.

Plus, receivers drop balls, Dwayne Bowe, who people were hoping we'd be able to get in free agency dropped the 2nd most passes last year. The most was by another high end receiver, but ai can't remember who, and I'm not looking it up.

Bottom line is that I think that our receivers will be greatly improved this year. I do not expect as many drops. Again, how many passes did Wallace have dropped on him? (even with backups playing significant minutes)

Legend
Legend
Interesting:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/cleveland_brownsnfl_draft_2012_2.html

Terry Pluto spent part of Sunday talking to a vice president of an AFC team about what the Browns have done this weekend. Here's what the official had to say about Brandon Weeden.

"We had Weeden rated higher than (Ryan) Tannehill," said the executive. "Better arm, more experienced, more mature.

"The Browns had to take a shot with Weeden. They couldn't come back with Colt (McCoy) as a starter and expect a big change on offense. Weeden is more like (Bengals QB Andy) Dalton than he is like (Baltimore's Joe) Flacco or (Pittsburgh's Ben) Roethlisberger, but he should be an upgrade over Colt. We thought Colt couldn't consistently get the ball down field, no matter who they had at receiver."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Weeden is more like (Bengals QB Andy) Dalton than he is like (Baltimore's Joe) Flacco or (Pittsburgh's Ben) Roethlisberger

What is this supposed to mean? Is this about their arms? Weeden has a pretty strong arm, I think stronger than Dalton's. The guy was a pitcher for my New York Yankees. Stronger than Flacco's or Big Ben's? I dunno, but I bet as strong as or pretty damn close.

But what I do know is that next year he's going to come in prepared, and The Rocket is going to start lighting defenses up

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
This part:

Quote:

We thought Colt couldn't consistently get the ball down field, no matter who they had at receiver.

Was very interesting.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Brandon Weeden (Part 2)

Link Copied to Clipboard