Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Anyone know much about him


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Good pick.



Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Overview

Johnson has played both outside and inside during his four years at Nevada. He has been a productive tackler and is an obvious leader and inspiration on the defense. He is athletic and thick, and he brings power to the line of scrimmage when tackling. He has fourth-round talent and has the temperament to contribute on special teams early.

Strengths
Johnson is thick, and it shows when he tackles. He is a form tackler and sure to bring runners down. He is strong and can shed blocks with ease, and he filled the gap quickly in Nevada's defense. He is instinctive and highly active on the field, and is smooth in his pass set. He reacts well to both run and pass and should develop into a starter.

Weaknesses
Johnson is always around the play but has a tough time making plays on the ball in passing downs. He can cover in man but is better in zone and could get outrun by tight ends in the NFL. He is not very fast and is better served playing inside the box.


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
OVERVIEW
Johnson has played both outside and inside during his four years at Nevada. He has been a productive tackler and is an obvious leader and inspiration on the defense. He is athletic and thick, and he brings power to the line of scrimmage when tackling. He has fourth-round talent and has the temperament to contribute on special teams early.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Johnson is thick, and it shows when he tackles. He is a form tackler and sure to bring runners down. He is strong and can shed blocks with ease, and he filled the gap quickly in Nevada's defense. He is instinctive and highly active on the field, and is smooth in his pass set. He reacts well to both run and pass and should develop into a starter.

WEAKNESSES Johnson is always around the play but has a tough time making plays on the ball in passing downs. He can cover in man but is better in zone and could get outrun by tight ends in the NFL. He is not very fast and is better served playing inside the box.

nfl.com


<><

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 716
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 716
I like this pick...I think this kid can play

HACK


[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,030
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,030
Never saw him play, but the draft sites seem to like him so he has to be good...lol


Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
For whatever it's worth he had the best broadjump of any LBers at the Combine


<><

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Quote:

Never saw him play, but the draft sites seem to like him so he has to be good...lol




Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Quote:

For whatever it's worth he had the best broadjump of any LBers at the Combine




= instant HOFamer



[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Good player but not great

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,660
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,660
Quote:

I like this pick...I think this kid can play

HACK




He's a 2 down LBer that will probably not play much in the nickle packages, but he is a heck of an athlete.

I didn't have a MLB targeted because we have a DQ, but he was high on the list (thought he would go in the 3rd round)


[Linked Image]

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,574
A
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,574
Ok.. I never watched this guy so he MUST suck. Gotta be 100 better players on the board and we took someone I never heard of ..

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,065
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,065
Some weird numbers on him.

He ran a 4.68 40, which is pretty decent speed for a ILB. It was the 4th best time. He also had a 37" vertical.

But his 3-cone time (7.34) and his 20-yard shuttle (4.37) were the worst times posted by any ILB. He would seem to have some explosion with the vertical and 40 but his short area quickness tests were pretty awful. Kind of weird?

Seems like a guy you file under "football player". His measureables aren't anything to get really excited about but he had pretty decent production. He also has a ton of experience.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,246
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,246
Googled him and got this 9 minute tape of him on Youtube



Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,577
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,577
He's got a "serial killer name" - I like that in a linebacker.


"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,660
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,660
40 picks until the next selection.


[Linked Image]

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
C
Legend
Offline
Legend
C
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
Starting 4-3 linebackers can be easily found in these rounds of the draft. Hopefully this guy can come in and earn a spot.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
When I was watching Dontay Moch last year, this guy was always the one showing up and making plays. I watched 5 or so games of his last year and he was always solid and making tackles. I'm happy he's on the team and think he can play MLB or SOLB, but probably won't start over Gocong (at least this year) or Jackson.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
Quote:

Good player but not great




This is just bullcrap!
There has to be many great players left,and we only draft a good player.WTF is H&H doing?


Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
T
Legend
Offline
Legend
T
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
He will end up being a better pick at 120 than Travis Benjamin was at 100 on a team that really could use a legitimate wide receiver.

James Michael Johnson.

If they had gotten a real Wr, we'd be watching a pretty good draft. ( day 1 trade up aside)


Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,061
Legend
Online
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,061
Here is the CBS "Instant Analysis"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18877333/round-four-pick-by-pick-analysis

120. Cleveland Browns: ILB James-Michael Johnson, Nevada -- A punishing, explosive tackler with upside as a three-down linebacker.

Man, sounds like a great pick to me.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
T
Legend
Offline
Legend
T
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
Quote:

but probably won't start over Gocong (at least this year) or Jackson.




As well he shouldn't the Browns have good Lb's already including Maiava.
This is another good addition.
We got a 3 name player ...


Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,870
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,870
2012 NFL Draft: Highlights from conference call with Nevada LB James-Michael Johnson
By Nate Ulrich Published: April 28, 2012

Nevada linebacker James-Michael Johnson, whom the Browns drafted in the fourth round (No. 120), spoke to reporters this afternoon by phone from Fairfield, Calif. Here are some of the highlights from the conference call:

You’ve played both inside and outside linebacker, are you more comfortable at one of those spots?: “It doesn’t really matter to me. The last two years I played MIKE. That’s where I’m comfortable at, but I’m a linebacker. I can play any position.”

Do you know anything about Browns middle linebacker D’Qwell Jackson and how he plays?: “Yeah, I’ve been watching D’Qwell for a couple years. He’s one of the best inside linebackers in the game. I admire how he plays. I try to pick up things from watching him play.”

Do you have experience at special teams?: “I played special teams for every year I was at Nevada. It’s something I like doing, and I embrace special teams. I’m not one of those players who doesn’t like special teams. I don’t mind running down on kickoff or covering punts. I love everything about it.”

Did you have an idea where you might be taken?: “No, I really didn’t have an idea. I had a feeling what teams where looking for linebackers. I knew Cleveland was one of those teams and am really grateful they took me.”

Who are some of the NFL guys you watch and try to emulate?: “I like D’Qwell Jackson. He’s one of my favorite linebackers. Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, and NaVorro Bowman recently, he had a really great season last year. London Fletcher, he’s a vet whose been doing it for years. Jonathan Vilma. I don’t know, I just like watching inside linebackers, basically. How they play, how they conduct themselves off the field, how they talk to their teammates to try to motivate guys. I just love everything about that.”

Did you visit the Browns?: “If so, how’d that visit go and who’d you meet with?: “I met with everybody. The head coach, the GM, the D-coordinator, player personnel – I met with everybody, man. It was a good experience and was one of my favorite experiences. Everybody was nice to me, and I had a good feeling about it. I thought it was a good situation, and I had a good feel when I went there.”

How would you describe yourself as a player? “I’m an athletic linebacker. I’m an instinctive linebacker. I come downhill. I can guard man-to-man out the backfield. I can guard a tight end man-to-man. I’m a competitor. I just love the game of football. I love playing hard. I love making a big play and sparking my defense. That’s one of the things I love most about playing linebacker.”

How did you wind up at Nevada? “I grew up in Fairfield, California, and coming out of high school, I didn’t have a lot of offers. I only had two Division I-AA [offers] and no really Division I offers. I wanted to go Division I and Nevada at the time offered me late into the recruiting process, so that was the only offer I had. My older sister went to school there, so it was kind of like no-brainer.”

Because you didn’t get many offers, did you not think of yourself as a potential NFL player coming out of high school?: “Not at all. To me, it was like wherever I go, I’m gonna make it to the NFL. That’s my goal. … I was gonna make it. I didn’t care. It didn’t matter if I went D-II, D-III, NAIA, I was gonna make it to the NFL. That was my goal the first time I stepped on campus.”

How motivated are you to compete for a starting job or at least a significant role right away?: “I’m very motivated, especially today seeing a lot of linebackers go before me that I don’t think are better than me. Stuff like that’s gonna motivate you. Stuff like that’s gonna make you want to work out and want to run harder. I’m gonna be motivated. You don’t have to worry about that. I’m not a guy you have to motivate.”
web page


You know my love will Not Fade Away.........


#gmSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,391
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,391
Quote:

Good pick.



X2
This team needs better tacklers and run stoppers. Our run-D was horrible last year. I think this fits a need but we won't know until game day.


------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,038
R
Legend
Offline
Legend
R
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,038
Quote:

He's got a "serial killer name" - I like that in a linebacker.




Haha....made me laugh and think of Top Gun...."I like that in a pilot.".

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
Quote:

Quote:

Good pick.



X2
This team needs better tacklers and run stoppers. Our run-D was horrible last year. I think this fits a need but we won't know until game day.




x3


Meh.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,643
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,643
Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Johnson is a heavy-handed MLB with instincts and awareness. He owns the tackle-to-tackle box and could develop into a quality starter quickly in his career.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick 120, James Michael Johnson ILB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5