Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
There's a difference between wanting Luck/RG3 in the top five, and getting Weeden at 22...

But you KNOW that...

Which makes your post even that much more ridiculous..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I am hopeful that Weeden will be great ........

He would have to go quite a way to be worse than McCoy was last year. The team obviously agrees, that's why they replaced McCoy. The QB must be a playmaker, and McCoy was a timid placeholder instead.

I started out hopeful on McCoy last year, until it became obvious that he couldn't make a play to save his life.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

There's a difference between wanting Luck/RG3 in the top five, and getting Weeden at 22...

But you KNOW that...

Which makes your post even that much more ridiculous..

I don't see it that way. Ytown has been more than verbose about blaming colt for all the offensive woes last year. We ALL know that. His posts are there for anyone to read.

He had a rock going on for Weeden (after Luck, and after RG, and after Tannehill). He got his wish - we have a first round draft qb. AND the first round pick has a top dog running back, with a (hopefully) improved O line.

Weeden better put up fantastic numbers this year or ytown will be the new coachb. He's already trying to back away from his expectations.

All off season we heard about how Cam "totally changed the team"........even though the win loss record still sucked.

Nope - ytown made his bed - he's going to sleep in it.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Now all of a sudden you are "hopeful"? Shortly after the draft, you were ecstatic and confident.

Hey, I don't give a rip about Colt. What I care about is idiots always wanting the next greatest toy and pleasuring themselves when they get it - but suddenly backing off their reasons for why the team didn't do better.

Dude - that is exactly what you're doing. You don't need to like me - just as you don't care, I don't either. But, I WILL hold you accountable for all that you thought a new qb would do for us.

Legend
Legend
I care about the Browns being a good, so I can root for a winning team...

Some people on here make it seems like they'd just rather we suck so they are "right" about a certain player...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Oh please ..... you have been all over McCoy for months now ..... whining about anyone who doesn't think that he's any good .... complaining that he never got a "fair shot" ..... (sounds familiar .... I think that I've heard that in some political campaign lately ....) and so on.

You have been all over anyone, me especially, who doesn't think that McCoy has the ability to be a starter. No one would fight that hard, for that long, unless they disagreed. So ... using deductive reasoning, you must feel that McCoy would be the guy to take us to a Super Bowl .... because no one with an iota of reason would argue this hard, for this long, for a lost cause, unless they were a true believer. You won't admit that though ..... you try to pretend you are in the middle, while arguing a rather fringe position. (that sounds like a certain political campaign as well)

That's fine, if you are. Just admit your own biases. My only bias is that I do not see McCoy as an NFL starter, and I think that Weeden will be better in that role. I think that we will see improvement ... fairly serious improvement, from our receivers with a QB who actually throws the ball down the field, as opposed to wimping out with 3 yard throws all the damn time. That's my bias. What's yours? Why don't you finally admit your bias? They say that confession is good for the soul.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You're so full of crap you need to flush bud. I am NOT a colt boy. I am a realist.

You, on the other hand, have been very, very vocal about the Browns problems being all on Colt. Yes, we can all look it up. You hate colt.

That is fine.

You got your wish - well, your .........lets see: you wanted luck, you wanted rg, then you wanted tannehill..........but you got your fourth dream - Weeden.

It's so interesting to watch your progression of posts. First, everything was all colts fault. Then you said/felt "with weeden" we won't see "crap", and now you're coming around to "I hope'

Dude, weeden has a top back, and a hopefully improved line. You got your wish with the qb, and to boot, you got a serious running back and a line improvement.

I will follow in your footsteps. I WILL blame Weeden if we aren't good this year.

If you can't handle me putting the same crap on you........tough. You got your wish. Now stand behind it or shut up. It's fairly simple - don't try to back off now.

IF we finish at 10-6, or 8-8............but we are scoring 25 pts + per game and the d loses the game, I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

If we don't? You'll probably still blame it on colt - or the o.c., or the coach.

You , with all your history of hating on colt - YOU are the one that put yourself in this position. Not me.

Legend
Legend
Oh please .... you have been after me for one reason, and one reason only ...... because I have been an outspoken critic of McCoy's play.

Now the front office has taken a position that seems to agree with mine, and you look act like they consulted me beforehand.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"Ytown has been more than verbose"

Using fancy words incorrectly tends to make that person sound foolish.
Hint: verbose is an adjective.

Your defense of Colt has been admirable,you fought the good fight.He'll soon be moving on,perhaps we all should as well.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

"Ytown has been more than verbose"

Using fancy words incorrectly tends to make that person sound foolish.
Hint: verbose is an adjective.

Your defense of Colt has been admirable,you fought the good fight.He'll soon be moving on,perhaps we all should as well.

ver·bose   /vərˈboʊs/ Show Spelled[ver-bohs] Show IPA
adjective
characterized by the use of many or too many words; wordy: a verbose report.

If that's not the defination of what Ytown was regarding his feelings on Colt McCoy, I'm not exactly sure which word would be much better

Oh,, here's where I found this particular definition

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/verbose

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't consider "verbose" to be a fancy word. If you do, I apologize.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Incorrectly defending a foolish person makes you appear idiotic.
Of coarse,that is exactly what is expected from you.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think this has gotten out of hand. This is going to be an interesting season to say the least! Lol!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
General Reply to a few things.

Weeden should Never EVER bring up the senior bowl again. It was a pathetic performance and just goes to show how far he has to go before he will be able to run this offense comfortably. He did not look comfortable under center. he did not look good dropping back.

Weeden can have great success in this offense by using Richardson and the play action fakes behind this big mauling offensive line. We have to keep the pocket clean. The guy can throw the football with near perfect accuracy when the pocket is clean. I thought he was the best PURE passer in this draft, it was just everything else about him sucked lol.

Weeden isn't the kind of guy that is going to throw the team on his back and carry them. If things are going right, he could be a scary passer.

We hear about compliment running backs, well I see weeden as a compliment quarterback.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Can we all stop the pissing contest and yell go browns?

I mean why are you all sitting around trying to prove how much you know, and how little the other knows? I get sick of the smug that has taken over this board. We are all here for our love for the browns.....people need to put the ego's to the side enough of the already.

GO BROWNS!!!

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought this was a place for debate. If i wanted to sit around holding hands with a bunch of guys, i would be a 49ers fan.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Can we all stop the pissing contest and yell go browns?

I mean why are you all sitting around trying to prove how much you know, and how little the other knows? I get sick of the smug that has taken over this board. We are all here for our love for the browns.....people need to put the ego's to the side enough of the already.

GO BROWNS!!!

Well then shut down the board during the offseason, because you just defeated the entire purpose of it...

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I thought this was a place for debate. If i wanted to sit around holding hands with a bunch of guys, i would be a 49ers fan.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

LOL

[Linked Image]

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

If he doesn't, you just lost any credibility you may have thought you had when it comes to football.

Yes, in a fun way, I'm calling you out.

"in a fun way"...if that's your "fun way" I bet you're a riot at a funeral...

Arch, man, you still at the same game with Ytown? You can't just put a line or two into your sig and let the thing play out? I mean...I was ready to get rid of McCoy the day he was drafted, and am quite happy that the organization see's it the same way I do, but I'm ready to look forward. Aren't you?

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Debate is one thing but when there is flame wars going on in multiple threads it tends to get a little old. Mock me all you wish man, but me personally am sick of the personal attacks ppl are making at each other.

I come here to read about my favorite team, and talk football. I dont come for a pissing contest, have to deal with grammar police or to prove I am smart cause I can use fancy words. Whats the point of everyone just being jerks to everyone? Did I miss something? When did this place become a pissing contenst, and stop being a board where browns fans come together and talk football?

What is this thread even about anymore? Who does or doesnt use "fancy words properly? Talk about lame......oh yeah thats right it is a thread on Brandon Weeden, not a thread for people to name call, and insult each other...I thought we had a smack shack for that?

#brownsgoodkarma
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Quote:

This thread title makes my brain hurt.

Yeah I forgot the s at the end of think.. should be thinks..sorry

I read it is a question. Weeden. Do you think he'll be ready to start.

I think if TJ Yates can come in in 2011 and beat the Bengals late in the year, and since Brandon Weeden was able to perform in major college games at a high level, that there is no reason he won't be able to start, and succeed.

He is going to have to have good coaching.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Incorrectly defending a foolish person makes you appear idiotic.
Of coarse,that is exactly what is expected from you.

Funny you should say that,, incorrectly ridiculing a person makes you appear idiotic.. But, of course, that's what is expected of from you..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, obviously, you know by now that it was MY typo.

Sorry if I mislead you...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm really hoping for good QB competition... Bringing in Childress is going to be a benefit...

Last year is done...seen the mistakes...time to learn and grow from that...no more what if's....

This coaching staff should be able to get the performance out of these QB's that's needed to have a good QB competition.

Looking ahead... I see Colt getting the Start...Only because Brandon has to take the Starter job from him...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I see Colt being gone before the start of camp....maybe even mini camps.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Why do you get rid of Colt, just to get rid of him and keep Thad Lewis as the third stringer?

If Colt was told to be 3rd stringer, I am sure he would do it with a smile. Look back to the road that's gotten us here. From "Colt won't play a single game" to Concussion Gate... Colt's had a lot of excitement around him the past couple of years and now because his Daddy spoke up and said everything that Colt should have said, we want to get rid of him?

If he's willing to be a team player and be 3rd stringer (assuming he loses out the backup spot to Mr. Mentor...) why get rid of him? Colt's got experience... I see no disadvantage to keeping him around as opposed to getting rid of him just to get rid of him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The attitude seems to be that the Browns think McCoy cannot be allowed to outshine Weeden in training camp. It would damage Weeden somehow. I would be surprised if McCoy didn't out-play Weeden in the early going; he had a year headstart in the system. Even if the Browns like Weeden and think he is the future of the franchise, there is no sane reason to cut McCoy. Weeden should face the same challenges every player in the NFL faces every year. If McCoy is a threat to him, he doesn't belong here.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
5th rounder or better 2013 > keeping McCoy

We already have a McCoy on the bench, his name is Wallace and since some GM will need a backup as soon as a no1 or 2 QB goes on IR, we can net a draft pick with McCoy (trade friendly contract and younger, looks better on paper to waste a 4th/5th on)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
Quote:

The attitude seems to be that the Browns think McCoy cannot be allowed to outshine Weeden in training camp. It would damage Weeden somehow. I would be surprised if McCoy didn't out-play Weeden in the early going; he had a year headstart in the system. Even if the Browns like Weeden and think he is the future of the franchise, there is no sane reason to cut McCoy. Weeden should face the same challenges every player in the NFL faces every year. If McCoy is a threat to him, he doesn't belong here.

THIS!

The notion that we should cut McCoy, and pave the way for Weeden is kind of hilarious to me. IF we dumped McCoy for a 5th rounder, I would be livid. I dont think we need 3rd round value for Colt but I would hate to see the team just get rid of him to avoid any possible drama surrounding their 1st RD QB.

It makes sense to me to KEEP Colt, the hardships he has faced here in Cleveland could only help him be a better teammate to Weeden. IMO, Weeden doesnt need a mentor in the traditional sense, he needs a teammate that he can buddy up with and show him the ropes. That sounds like Colt could pull that off to me.

I understand the politics of it all, but Weeden has said he looks forward to competing with Colt. We know Colt's looking forward to the year because he already showed up for OTA's. Wallace is the "better" option only because of his experience and I'm not sold that Wallace is a better mentor option just because of his experience alone.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If some GM needs a QB, let them have Wallace. He makes 5 times as much as McCoy and is not as good. Mentor-Schmentor, all that crap aside about him not giving up his secrets to Colt, the guy just isn't that good. Nearly every time he plays, I wait for the late throw on a short out and you know what? It almost always happens. I'll go further, I think it could be argued that he was a divisive force in the locker room. Always standing off to the side, as far from McCoy as he could get, sent a message to teammates. Increased effort by Massaquoi and sometimes, Little, when Wallace played told me they were loyal to Wallace and not the team. There was something amiss last year with the half-assed effort by some players and with all the drops. All JMO, but like you guys always talk about the eyeball test - well, I've got eyeballs too, and something was wrong last year.

Legend
Legend
Ben Roethlisberger started as a rookie.

Joe Flacco started as a rookie.

Andy Dalton started as a rookie.

Cam Newton started as a rookie.

Matthew Stafford started as a rookie.

Matt Ryan started as a rookie.

Mark Sanchez started as a rookie.

Sam Bradford started as a rookie.

Blaine Freakin' Gabbert started as a rookie.

I see no reason why Brandon Weeden can't, and shouldn't start as a rookie.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I see no reason why he can't earn it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would not be a Browns board, if you could not argue about the QB....

Been that way since Bellyache complained of Kosars diminishing physical skills.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I see no reason why he can't earn it.

And I'm sure he will ..... but anyone who thinks that this will be an open competition between Weeden, McCoy, Wallace, and whoever our 4th string guy (Lewis) is simply isn't being rational. Weeden will earn it by diving into the job, and working his ass off. He can't just show up and do nothing ..... but as long as he works hard, studies hard, and performs as a rookie QB should be expected to perform in pre-season, he's the guy.

Teams don't have "open competition" at the QB spot. Weeden is a rookie.If he is to start as a rookie, he is going to need the bulk of the 1st team snaps in pre-season and training camp. That's what is going to happen. McCoy will get a few snaps here or there ..... but Weeden will be the QB they get ready to go.

The Browns will talk up the competitive aspect of things ..... but as time goes by, everyone will see that the pecking order has been set. There won't be a grand announcement that Weeden has won the job ... but more of a matter of fact acknowledgement that he was the #1 guy all pre-season, and he's the #1 guy going into the season.

Teams simply don't have "QB competitions" with rookie QBs. If they do, then they cannot properly prepare the rookie to start the year. It's a nice thought ..... but it's lip service more than anything else.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If he struggles, it will damage him worse than if he is eased into the starting position, after learning to play it at the NFL level. I fully expect Weeden to get the bulk of snaps in pre-season, but if he runs into problems - and he will, IMO - he might need to step back and watch for a while. This ain't affirmative action, its a meritocracy. The team and the fans deserve the best QB available to be on the field. I would say that even if McCoy is gone by training camp. If Holmgren brings in Hasselbeck, I would say it. Even if Wallace is the next in line, and even if I think he blows, I'd still say it.

Legend
Legend
Yeah ... if Weeden struggles badly, then he can expect to have someone else take his job ..... just like every other player could.

I don't think that he'll struggle that badly though. he'll probably go through what most strong armed QBs go through ...... over-trusting his arm and throwing too many INTs because he thinks that he can still get away with some throws he made in college. He'll need to be reined in somewhat.

I prefer that to trying to get a guy playing a timid game at QB to try and create explosive plays down the field. I really cannot remember that ever working.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

THIS!

The notion that we should cut McCoy, and pave the way for Weeden is kind of hilarious to me. IF we dumped McCoy for a 5th rounder, I would be livid. I dont think we need 3rd round value for Colt but I would hate to see the team just get rid of him to avoid any possible drama surrounding their 1st RD QB.

It makes sense to me to KEEP Colt, the hardships he has faced here in Cleveland could only help him be a better teammate to Weeden. IMO, Weeden doesnt need a mentor in the traditional sense, he needs a teammate that he can buddy up with and show him the ropes. That sounds like Colt could pull that off to me.

I understand the politics of it all, but Weeden has said he looks forward to competing with Colt. We know Colt's looking forward to the year because he already showed up for OTA's. Wallace is the "better" option only because of his experience and I'm not sold that Wallace is a better mentor option just because of his experience alone.

I agree.. I don't envision a scenario where Weeden doesn't start at some point this upcoming season, I also don't envision McCoy not being here.

Wallace is older, expensive and no better than McCoy. Why cut/trade guy a young guy that still has a chance to be something in favor of a guy that has had 10 years to prove he isn't anything and it pretty expensive...

I just don't see McCoy being the kinda kid that causes any problems. I do see him fighting like hell to win the starting job. And I can't find a damn thing wrong with that.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Taking the snap at the center of Brandon Weeden's learning curve | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/05/taking_the_snap_at_the_center.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Among the knocks on new Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden is his mobility and whether he'll be able to adjust from starting plays five to seven yards behind the center as he did in college to often lining up directly behind the center in the NFL.

"Coming from Oklahoma State, I don't think they were under center one time all year," said Tim Rattay, a former NFL quarterback turned quarterback guru.

After his college season, Weeden worked extensively on his drop-back footwork with Rattay and QB specialist Marc Trestman for three months to prepare for the Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine and his pro day at Oklahoma State in March, which Browns coach Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple attended.

It sounds easy, taking the snap and dropping back three to five yards while adjusting to the defense and anticipating your receivers' moves, but it's not. Rattay, whose father, Jim, coached Elyria Catholic to two state football championships, said Weeden showed dramatic improvement from the day they started working with him to his pro day.

"It looked like he'd been under center his whole career," he said.

Rattay said he and Whipple spoke about Weeden at the pro day for about 15 minutes. They talked about his work ethic, what kind of person he is and, of course, his footwork under center.

"It just didn't take [Weeden] long to where he looked really comfortable doing it," Rattay said.

As for his ability to escape a pass rush, throw on the run and keep drives alive with his feet, Weeden didn't think the criticism about his mobility was fair or accurate.

"To be honest, I think I throw the ball just as well, if not better, on the run than I do in the pocket," Weeden said. "It's just something that wasn't really asked of me at Oklahoma State."

Other than learning the terminology, Weeden was confident he'll be able to adjust from the spread offense he ran in college to a more traditional pro offense with the quarterback often directly behind the center.

"Football's football. Once you get settled into a system, you've still got to get back the 5, 7 yards whatever, take your drops and deliver all the throws," he said.

"Fortunately at Oklahoma State, yeah, we were in the spread, but we weren't the typical dink and dunk and gimme this [kind of offense]. We did some of that, but we also threw the ball downfield and we made every single throw that the guys make on Sundays."

Legend
Legend
I just find it interesting so many people thing it'll hurt him mentally if he struggles early... I just think with all he's been through this kid is much stronger mentally than that... I expect him to struggle a bit (as I'm sure he does too) but I don't see it hurting his confidence at all.

<><

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Weeden think he'll be ready to start right away

Link Copied to Clipboard