Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
This was from Shurmur in today's presser, and this is something that I have stressed all along as lacking last year ...... but here it is from the coach's mouth ......

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...b3-705e36237264

(On how Weeden’s ball compares to other quarterbacks he has coached)- “I think he is a very smooth thrower. He throws the ball easy and I think a guy that can throw the ball with a smooth motion, the ball presents itself to the receivers well. I think that helps them be more efficient catching it. I like what I’ve seen from him just in terms of throwing the football, for sure. His touch and accuracy are all part of it. I think that it’s kind of a natural thing, that they just know to take a little off of it because a guys five yards away and then whether to put it on the right or left shoulder based on where the defender is so he can turn away from it, all things that we teach and we emphasize, but some guys kind of naturally get it.”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Now that's saying something. Shurmur has coached, in one capacity or another) Donovan McNabb and Bradford...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

He throws the ball easy and I think a guy that can throw the ball with a smooth motion, the ball presents itself to the receivers well. I think that helps them be more efficient catching it.

Counting down until a reporter asks McCoy about how he feels regarding this quote.

Yeah..he's saying McCoy shares the blame in the high number of drops last year. Let's not sugar-coat it...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He battled

Funny thing is...when I said the exact same thing during the season, I was just being the McCoy basher....the argument NEVER worked 1 sided....drops happen when a QB throws to a WR, always 2 sides involved. McCoy apologists never acknowledged the fact that if they argue that McCoy needed better WR, the drops were ALSO an indicator that the WR needed a better QB

Obviously the dissent was about the blame share.....looks like our FO saw QB as the bigger need (RG3 uptrade try, drafting Weeden at 22)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

He throws the ball easy and I think a guy that can throw the ball with a smooth motion, the ball presents itself to the receivers well. I think that helps them be more efficient catching it.

Counting down until a reporter asks McCoy about how he feels regarding this quote.

Yeah..he's saying McCoy shares the blame in the high number of drops last year. Let's not sugar-coat it...

I have to laugh at this one...McCoy's fault that receivers had so many drops...

...yea, McCoy was throwing the ball so damned hard, his receivers had no choice but to drop some of those burners...

Our receivers earned their title for drops, fair and square...

McCoy threw a very catchable ball...maybe too catchable...and that was part of the reason the Browns went out and got another QB...McCoy didn't get enough on the ball at times.

If a pass hits the receiver in the hands, they are expected to catch the ball...it's that simple. Those looking to blame McCoy for our receivers drops are really reaching...

In Greg Little's defense, he had a legitimate reason, missing the 2010 season due to NCAA violation. Little, nor any of our WRs pointed the finger at McCoy and said their drops were Colt's fault...why some of our fans are trying to blame McCoy now...?????

...some Browns fans just have to have someone to blame...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
i agree.. at this level.. if the ball hits your hands.. you are to catch the ball.. no excuses.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed, but all receivers want to turn up field as soon as possible. Some turn up field a little early. Combine that tendency with a change up being thrown your way and drops happen. Yes the ball SHOULD be caught AND the Wr takes his share of the blame BUT the throw CONTRIBUTES to the drop.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its hard to hit someone in the hands, in stride, when their arms are pulled in to protect their rib cage. Outside of Cribbs and Watson, our receivers got gator arms a lot when crossing the middle. It's a big problem in an offense that uses short slants and crossing patterns as much as the WCO. Little can be forgiven because he was a rookie and seemed to be shaking off the drops as the year went on. Massaquoi and Moore, I'm not so sure of. Massaquoi seems to have had a hard time shaking off the vicious (and illegal) hit Harrison put on him in 2010, and Moore seems to shy away from contact altogether.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Agreed, but all receivers want to turn up field as soon as possible. Some turn up field a little early. Combine that tendency with a change up being thrown your way and drops happen. Yes the ball SHOULD be caught AND the Wr takes his share of the blame BUT the throw CONTRIBUTES to the drop.

I disagree.

Whether we're talking about Colt, or Aaron Rodgers. A receivers job is to catch the ball. If they are turning upfield to run without making the catch, they need remedial receiving 101: Without catching the ball, you are nothing.

Legend
Legend
I don't remember Mo dropping that many passes though...

tried to find the exact number, but couldn't.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Dave, you have a point about some of our receivers having gator arms going over the middle.

Those responsible for designing some of the pass patterns, need to understand what it's like for our receivers playing within this division. Shurmur was a rookie HC/OC and IMO, it showed in his play calling as well as some of the pass pattern designs.

Those plays that got our receivers killed or nearly killed...rip them out of the playbook and burn them. Then design pass patterns that work against the defenses played in the AFC/North.

Last year was sort of a nightmare year, especially for the offense and hopefully the coaching staff learned from their mistakes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well said mac. It's not like they where credited with drop passes that where not catch able. Your going to be counted for a drop if the ball hits your hands though. To many excuses are being made of our receivers dropped passes.

The answer is plain and simple, find some players who can catch a dam football and stop blaming the QB's for their drops.

Funny how some folks want to say some are Colt McCoy apologist, but when the shoe is on the other foot, then they're not WR apologist ... Yeah right

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/13/12 12:20 PM.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't think you can remove those plays from the playbook and still call it a WCO. The point needs to be made to the receivers "you are going to get hit either way, you might as well catch the ball.". With that said, I do think what we saw last year was the baby-steps version of the WCO ... way too basic. It would also help the receivers if they got off the line clean, ran routes a little crisper with hard breaks to get a some separation in the congested middle. It would also help if opposing safeties respected the deep middle and weren't always in position to ear-hole our guys crossing the middle. Some of that goes on Shurmur, and some of it goes on McCoy, or at least the way opposing safeties perceive McCoy.

Legend
Legend
mac, it was more the throws that hurt the receivers as opposed to the routes they ran.

Most of those routes are staples of NFL football around the entire league. Which routes and/or patterns are you going to "rip out" of the playbook? Crossing routes? Safe routes that sit down between the LB and Safety? Slants?

If you pay attention to what Shurmur said the other day, it's exactly what I, and a few others, hav e been saying all along. The QB decides where the receiver will go based on his throw. Very rarely will the receiver be able to catch a pass to his right, and then go left away from the defender. Where the QB puts the ball is just as important as a completion itself.

This was a real weakness in the passing game last year. Part of that wasn't really McCoy's fault, because that's not the game he played in college. Most of his throws in college were on routes where the receiver would settle down in the zone, and McCoy could throw to a spot. He didn't have to throw receivers open. He could just throw to a spot, the receiver would catch the ball, and make a play.

The WCO does incorporate some of those throws, but the windows are tighter. Guys get a fraction of a second to a second before the zone closes on them. On routes where the receiver is settled down in a zone, the receiver is not facing the defense and looking back to the QB, but rather facing the QB and trusting the QB to put the ball in a spot where he can catch, break, and go. I spent a great deal of time talking about putting the ball over/under, inside or out to receivers, in essence, throwing them open ... especially against single cover. That was lacking last year. Shurmur has even said so.

Here is exactly what he said:

(On how Weeden’s ball compares to other quarterbacks he has coached)- “I think he is a very smooth thrower. He throws the ball easy and I think a guy that can throw the ball with a smooth motion, the ball presents itself to the receivers well. I think that helps them be more efficient catching it. I like what I’ve seen from him just in terms of throwing the football, for sure. His touch and accuracy are all part of it. I think that it’s kind of a natural thing, that they just know to take a little off of it because a guys five yards away and then whether to put it on the right or left shoulder based on where the defender is so he can turn away from it, all things that we teach and we emphasize, but some guys kind of naturally get it.”

Shurmur press conf. transcript - 5/12
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...b3-705e36237264

This is an area that's not yet developed in McCoy's game. Maybe it will over time. Maybe it will now that he might get a chance to see a guy do it on the field, and get a feel for doing it in practice. Maybe he'll never be able to do it. If he can't, then he'll never again be anything but a backup. This was a major flaw in the games of guys like Frye and Quinn. They could throw to a spot, but that spot was their only concern. They never were concerned about helping their receiver by putting the ball in the right spot to allow them to make a play after the catch.

The bottom line os that Weeden appears to possess this ability, and the trust that will engender cannot be overstated, Receivers will be able to trust that they can follow where the pass leads without getting obliterated. (at least most of the time) They will be able to trust that they can put the ball away and get to full speed ASAP, rather than trying to figure out who is waiting to wipe them out. This is so important to a passing game. Hopefully Weeden will be able to do it in games, and will finally show Browns QBs the right way to pass to receivers in traffic.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It gets awful crowded when you have defenses playing the deep safety 12 yards from the line lol. That should change with Weeden.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

McCoy threw a very catchable ball...maybe too catchable...

Yeah...because you can't possibly catch a ball that's TOO catchable...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mack didnt seem to have a problem catching Colt's passes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It gets awful crowded when you have defenses playing the deep safety 12 yards from the line lol. That should change with Weeden.

and thats why those slants and short routes didn't work.. as soon as the WR catches the ball a defender is in his face!!

When Weeden hits a few long balls.. the middle will be wide open..

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

and thats why those slants and short routes didn't work.. as soon as the WR catches the ball a defender is in his face!!

Thats what I miss most about Anderson. Seeing Defenses play us honestly.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

All well and good, but let's not count the chickens before they hatch ... It still takes two to tango

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/13/12 04:03 PM.

[Linked Image]

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All well and good, but let's not count the chickens before they hatch ... It still takes two to tango

Correct.

I get tired of the after draft goody goody feelings. Year after year after year..........same old thing: Oh, this guy will turn us around, this coaching staff, that player.

Show it on the field. Until then? Blah blah blah.

Legend
Legend
for guys that do play well.. there are still those that say its not enough..

so a little blah blah blah is expected from some of us..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea it gets old with people not wanting to give these kids any credit when they are playing well. Little leads all rookies in receptions after not playing football for a year and converting from RB to receiver and all you hear is people ripping on him. Phil taylor was top 5 in damn near every defensive stat for defensive tackles and we have guys on here calling him a bum.

I mean, if a guy is playing like crap then I can understand it but some of the crap that has been flying lately is just pure idiocy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not unless we start sending receivers on patterns longer than 5 yards.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

mac, it was more the throws that hurt the receivers as opposed to the routes they ran.

YT...do you have any idea which pass patterns are the most dangerous for WRs?

Here is a hint...On those most dangerous pass routes, there is only one throw a QB can make and there are no options as to where the QB can put the pass to make it safer for the WR.

A QB can correctly read man to man defense at the snap of the ball, but that does not mean every defender on the defense is playing man to man....you do know that, YT?

....in our division, there are two teams that are known to come up with some creative defenses that defy the rules..that defy what QBs are taught to read. A QB would need two sets of eyes to be able to correctly read those defenses.

After a season coaching against those defenses, I would hope that Shurmur understands the need to make adjustments to his playbook based on the way some teams play defense in the AFC North.

Shurmur the OC, has some much needed help this season...Chilly brings experience and a playbook based on that experience. With the addition of Chilly and more weapons for the offensive coaches to design their playbook and game plans around, it should result in a more professional and productive offense.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Just a caution: don't get too excited about Chilly. You're just setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.....

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Just a caution: don't get too excited about Chilly. You're just setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.....

big...honestly, it can't be more disappointing than watching Shurmur's offense last season.

Shurmur's inexperience as HC and OC were exposed in such a way that Holmgren knew he had to do something to help Shurmur the OC so Shurmur the HC could concentrate more on becoming a good head coach.

Don't worry about me having unrealistic expectations for the team, coaches or players. It is only the beginning of year 3 of the 5 year rebuilding process...two more years to go after this season ends in 2013.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Not unless we start sending receivers on patterns longer than 5 yards.

hehe, exactly.

How did Shurmur & this offense do for Sam Bradford? Oh, yeah.... almost the EXACT same percentage of throws in that really short range.

Changing only the QB isn't going to change all that much around here.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Oh I suspect that a lot will be different this coming year.

I'm absolutely not proclaiming Weeden as the savior or anything ...... but I do expect that he will push the ball down the field, and that his throws will come off of his hand with authority. I would be stunned if he is anywhere near the 5.anything we have seen our QBs throw for lately per attempt.

Some people don't think that the QB will change anything .... and I really don't get that thinking. Hell, if any teams showed the value of having a great QB, and the cost of losing him, it was Indy last year. That was such a glaring example, as a team that lost its QB and very little else went from playoffs to first overall pick in the draft. A part of me would think that it was orchestrated to get that next great QB .... except that too many people lost their jobs.

Anyway ..... I think that our receivers will look better this year as the QB will start throwing them open, as opposed to leading them into coverage with the pass. Sometimes that just can't be helped, as everyone is covered, and covered well, but in so many cases it is just that the QB is inaccurate with the ball. The pass is completed,. so people think that this is what accuracy means ..... but it really goes so far beyond mere completions. Throwing the ball in the right location, so that the receiver has a chance to make a play .... that's what the great QBs do ...... that's why they are so much better than the below average type QBs who complete 55-60% of their passes, but see their team go nowhere anyway.

I am so looking forward to next season just because we have a guy who understands that it is his responsibility to push the ball down the field ...... and hopefully he'll be able to do that in games. I am actually really excited about next season ..... brutal schedule and all ...... because I think that we will improve greatly .. especially in the passing game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't think anyone has said that a BETTER QB won't change anything... I'm sure improvement will occur.

I think what people said (me included) is that it wasn't all McCoy. The problems went beyond him.

Put junk around Tom Brady or Payton Manning and you still don't have a great team.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hell, if any teams showed the value of having a great QB, and the cost of losing him, it was Indy last year. That was such a glaring example, as a team that lost its QB and very little else went from playoffs to first overall pick in the draft. A part of me would think that it was orchestrated to get that next great QB .... except that too many people lost their jobs.

The flip side to that is that the Patriots lost Brady and went 11-5 with Cassel.. Brady came back and the Patriots went 10-6.. while Cassel went 4-11 in 15 games in KC...

Nobody is saying the QB isn't important... but how important?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Hell, if any teams showed the value of having a great QB, and the cost of losing him, it was Indy last year. That was such a glaring example, as a team that lost its QB and very little else went from playoffs to first overall pick in the draft. A part of me would think that it was orchestrated to get that next great QB .... except that too many people lost their jobs.

The flip side to that is that the Patriots lost Brady and went 11-5 with Cassel.. Brady came back and the Patriots went 10-6

Is it that Brady came back and they went 10-6 or is it that they lost Brady off of a team that went 18-1, and went 11-5?

Legend
Legend
Well yeah ..... but ............. the team the Colts rolled out last year was largely the same team that Peyton Manning played with the year before.

They had the same receivers ..... they had the same running backs ...... that had almost the same offensive line ..... their defense was largely intact ..........

Donald Brown was still their leading rushed. Reggie Wayne was still their leading receiver. Joseph Addai was still playing at about the same level as the prior year. They still had Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, and Dallas Clark. They even still had Jacob Tamme and Brody Eldridge from the prior year when Manning played.

They were missing Blair White, and a few RB who did almost nothing in 2010. I don't think that had a huge impact.

Their OL still had Jeff Saturday and Ryan Diem .... and they added 1st round talent Anthony Castonzo.

However, was the 2011 Colts team the same as the 2010 model? I would have to say no. What was the biggest, and almost the only change from 2010 to 2011?

Was it on defense, where they had guys like Freeney, and Mathis, and Moala, Angerer, and
Conner were still there at LB. (though they were missing Brackett) Their secondary still had Hayden and Powers.

No wholesale changes on defense either.

The Colts had one major change from 2010 to 2011, and it made their scoring drop by almost a staggering 200 points over the course of the year. (435 points scored in 2010 to 243 in 2011)

They changed the QB because of injury. Yeah, I sure think that the position is that important.

As far as the Browns ....... sure there were problems last year that extended beyond McCoy. I don't think that anyone disputes that. However, the main problem was that, unless you have a perfect team around him, the QB has to be a playmaker in the NFL. We had more of a game manager. If you have any hope of winning with a game manager, then the team around him better be damn near perfect. Obviously, ours wasn't. We needed a playmaker at QB with the team we had, (and have) and hopefully now we have one.

This year we'll open with a guy who can make plays from the QB position. I think that will have a huge impact on the rest of the team, especially the supporting positions, like WR, TE, and so on.

Legend
Legend
Both.

yebat' Putin
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I think that our receivers will look better this year as the QB will start throwing them open, as opposed to leading them into coverage with the pass.

YT...so it's your belief that a QB's pass leads to a WR being open or being covered?

Our WRs will look better if they learn how to run their pass routes to create separation, which leads to getting open, which leads to the QB reading the WR and delivering an accurate pass...then it's up to the WR to catch that pass, regardless of the coverage.

...if Browns WRs improve their route running, create separation and go after the pass aggressively...they will definitely look better than they did last season. **Note...keep in mind, WRs can do all of this correctly, but if the OFFENSIVE LINE does not give the QB enough time to stand in the pocket and make his read, or if the QB is forced to throw while running for his life...it can destroy the pass play.

The success or failure of every play (run or pass) depends upon the offensive line to first do their job correctly.

Legend
Legend
No mac, and that's not what I have been saying either.

What I have been saying is that when a receiver s single covered, most times he can be open if the ball is thrown in the right spot.

There are some defenders who are so good that they can cover all 4 receiving "zones" by themselves, but they are few and far between.

Our outside receivers saw an incredible amount of single cover last year. Teams stacked the box to stop the run, and to stop the short passing game. Because of this, the outside receivers were covered almost as an afterthought.

When a receiver is single covered on the outside, he will almost always be open somewhere. he will almost always be open short, or over the top. He will almost always be open inside, or outside. This is where the QB comes into play. If the QB is accurate, and understands ball placement, then he can throw a receiver open. He can hit the guy who is single covered deep underneath the coverage. He can hit the guy who is covered to the inside over the top. This is what separates the so-so QBs from the great ones. It's why so often a receiver will look great on one team, onlt to change team as a free agent and struggle. It's also why some teams can plug in 3rd-6th round picks and have then toss up thousand yard seasons like nothing, while other teams struggle "finding receivers", even when drafting them in the higher rounds.

Receivers in the NFL are rarely open by more than a quarter step against man to man coverage. Receivers are fast, defensive backs are fast. Teams double up the fastest of the fast, yet great QBs still find their receivers down the field.

Receivers do have to do their parts, obviously. They need to run their routes correctly. They need to be in the right spot, at the right time. You (and others) assume that this did not happen last year. Given that the Browns drafted a new QB in the 1st round, yet only one WR overall, tells me that the receivers were probably doing their jobs, and the fault, such as it was, laid at the feet of the QB.

I look at our receivers, and what do I see?

I see a guy like Josh Cribbs who had his best game of the year, in a windstorm, against Pittsburgh with Wallace at QB.

I see a guy like Greg Little, who I don;t recall dropping a single pass in the final 3 games, and who had his best game of the year against Arizona. (with Wallace at QB)

This was also with the threat of Ben Watson removed from the field. He did not play those final 3 games. Alex Smith was lost in the game against Arizona.

Regardless of the loss of our TEs, the receivers managed somehow to get open in the final weeks of the season to set season highs for themselves ..... even with that threat in the middle being gone.

Why do you suppose that was?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I look at our receivers, and what do I see?

Exactly what you want to see my friend...

Quote:

I see a guy like Greg Little, who I don;t recall dropping a single pass in the final 3 games, and who had his best game of the year against Arizona. (with Wallace at QB)

Which was almost exclusively the result of one 70+ yard busted play where he was running fairly wide open and Wallace scrambled and hit him and Little was able to outrun the defenders... this "best day of his year" had absolutely NOTHING to do with a QB being able to throw a guy open.

Quote:

This was also with the threat of Ben Watson removed from the field. He did not play those final 3 games. Alex Smith was lost in the game against Arizona.

Think that might have had something to do with why more balls went elsewhere? Since the previous year in Wallace's 4 starts, Watson averaged 5 catches and 50 yards per game.. logic dictates that those throws had to go somewhere else...

Quote:

I see a guy like Josh Cribbs who had his best game of the year, in a windstorm, against Pittsburgh with Wallace at QB.

And I see a guy who had his worst game of the year against Arizona and a subpar game against Baltimore.. both with Wallace at QB.

I also see a guy who had all 4 of his TD catches with Colt.. he had his 4 longest catches of the year with Colt... he had his 4 best ypc games with Colt...

Why was he able to have 7 catches against the Steelers? I don't know but I doubt it had anything to do with Wallace throwing him open... Probably had more to do with the Steelers stacking to stop Hillis, but I'll get to that later..

Quote:

Regardless of the loss of our TEs, the receivers managed somehow to get open in the final weeks of the season to set season highs for themselves ..... since there were no options to throw to over the middle and we had a healthy Hillis.

See what I did there?

Well, except in the Ravens game, where Evan Moore led the team in receptions... except for that.

Oh, and another thing...

With all of these "best games of the season" among our WRs, Wallace had a worse YPA, exactly the same YPC and his 13.3 ppg was under Colts 13.7... and he had a relatively healthy Peyton Hillis to use.. something Colt had not had since about week 2.

So I'll ask you the same question...

Quote:

Why do you suppose that was?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Which was almost exclusively the result of one 70+ yard busted play where he was running fairly wide open and Wallace scrambled and hit him and Little was able to outrun the defenders... this "best day of his year" had absolutely NOTHING to do with a QB being able to throw a guy open.

Actually ..... that's not true.

Little had 5 catches in that game for 131 yards. That play was 76 yards. That means that he also had 4 catches for 55 yards.

Quote:

Think that might have had something to do with why more balls went elsewhere? Since the previous year in Wallace's 4 starts, Watson averaged 5 catches and 50 yards per game.. logic dictates that those throws had to go somewhere else...

I knew that someone would say that ...... but how could it matter if the receivers can't get open? If they can't get open with a solid TE in the game, then they aren't magically going to be able to do so with fewer weapons in the game.

Quote:

And I see a guy who had his worst game of the year against Arizona and a subpar game against Baltimore.. both with Wallace at QB.

I also see a guy who had all 4 of his TD catches with Colt.. he had his 4 longest catches of the year with Colt... he had his 4 best ypc games with Colt...

Why was he able to have 7 catches against the Steelers? I don't know but I doubt it had anything to do with Wallace throwing him open... Probably had more to do with the Steelers stacking to stop Hillis, but I'll get to that later..

Again ..... if a receiver supposedly sucks .... the it makes no difference what the rest of the team is, or is not. If a receiver can't get open, People say that our receivers can't get open ...... yet they each did in these 2 games, against solid to good defenses. These defenses may have single covered the receivers ..... but that was already happening all year long once teams realized that this was the way to stop the Browns offense with McCoy under Center.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Ytown, by any metric, Seneca Wallace was worse than Colt last year. Please stop trying to say anything that implies the opposite. It's silly. And, Weeden is our QB, so it really doesn't matter.

Seneca 51% 2TDs 2INTs 5.3YPA 183yds/game 65.4QBrating
Colt 57% 14TDs 11INTs 5.9YPA 210yds/game 74.6QBrating

yds/game for Seneca was only in starts.

also, note that Seneca had 2 TDs in 3 games started. Colt had 14TDs in 13 games started. So, he even threw more TDs/game too.

really, they both sucked. Colt played against some weaker defenses, and that helped his stats suck a little less, sure. But, also, Seneca sucks, is a veteran who should know all his reads, and really there is no way we can expect him to get any better at this point (other than the marginal increase from having better weapons).

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
does anyone remember that story last year when a opposing DC or GM was talking to Mike Lombardi and they said the 'Browns offense was simple to figure out,they had the play figured out.
Colt was given a vanilla scheme to work from.
defenses didn't have to worry about Massaqiou or Cribbs or Robiskie beating them downfield. Even Watson and Moore were non factors most of the time.
many times Colt didn't have the luxury to scan and the read the defense.
Defenses shut down the passing routes outside the seams. They could afford to leave the middle open...
what Browns WR was going to catch a 6 yd pass and burn the defense?
no one.
when you run the ball for 2,3 yards and pass for 6..defense wins.....4th and 1..punt

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Weeden think he'll be ready to start right away

Link Copied to Clipboard