Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
At least we have SOMETHING to look forward to... Can he do it or not, does he look like a Pro QB dropping back. Does he throw curve balls into the dirt everytime he senses pressure.

For my money it's worth the risk. The notion that everyone will get fired if we "wasted" a no 22 pick taking a chance on this guy is crazy.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
I seem to recall us pressuring Drew Brees into mistake after mistake after mistake a few years back.

Man that guy sucks.

We'll see what happens with Weeden. One advantage he will have is that he can always turn and hand the ball off to Richardson, or throw it to him quickly. That's a nice safety net for a QB to have.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I seem to recall us pressuring Drew Brees into mistake after mistake after mistake a few years back.

actually, our main play that messed him up was dropping our fattest DL into the flats. Drew never even thought to look for him there and we got 2 TDs

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would rather draft a QB in the first 3 years in a row than trade away 3 firsts and a 2nd for 1 guy. Weeden has some intriguing skills. He shows very good anticipation by placing the ball into the pocket, good strong arm, nice quick release and an over the top throwing motion.

He is just fantastic when allowed to play pitch and catch. It is the dropping back and reading the d as he drops back that is an issue. How he handles the multiple looks the NFL is going to throw at him along with the intense pressure every QB in this division faces will decide his fate.

I don't want to say he can't do it. If he is going to be able to do it however, our OL is really going to have to step up their game.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Too bad McCoy never had a saftey net in 2011

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Colt checked down on 80% of the plays. The only safer option was to throw it to the offensive line. O wait, he did that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Zing?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Colt checked down on 80% of the plays. The only safer option was to throw it to the offensive line. O wait, he did that.

That's sort of hard to believe considering our WRs and TEs had 79% of our receptions last year... and all of our RBs and FBs combined only averaged 4 catches per game...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Our WR and TE had 79% of the receptions ..... and McCoy still averaged less than 6 yards/attempt.

Wow ..... he was even worse than I thought.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Better than checking down to the middle linebacker.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Our WR and TE had 79% of the receptions ..... and McCoy still averaged less than 6 yards/attempt.

Wow ..... he was even worse than I thought.

Kind of leads you to believe that maybe the routes they were running might have actually been a big part of it huh? Oh wait, never mind.. Mary Kay said she saw people open downfield..

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is a big part of it with the WCO...the plan is to make the catch then be able to run with the ball after the catch. The problem is the cherub would more often than not throw behind the receivers enough to kill any forward momentum.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Cleveland QB competition? Browns need to sell hope and Weeden - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19001...hope-and-weeden

Let's see if I have this right. The Cleveland Browns expect rookie Brandon Weeden to win the starting quarterback job but say he still must beat out incumbents Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace. Well, of course he must, but from what I gather, he just did ... when the Browns spent a first-round pick on him.

Look, I know we go through minicamps and OTAs and training camps before the Browns name their starting quarterback, and I get that. But who's kidding whom? They didn't draft a guy who turns 29 this season to develop. They drafted him to start.

Period.

If they thought they could get by with McCoy or Wallace, they would've exercised the 22nd pick of the draft on another offensive position. But they didn't, which means they didn't believe they had a starting quarterback.

Well, they do now ... only they're just not going to name him until they can.

"The fact that we drafted him so high means we like [Weeden]," team president Mike Holmgren told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "But we also like Colt McCoy and Seneca, as well."

Yeah, sure, only they don't like them as much Weeden.

I remember hearing something similar after the Denver Broncos traded up in the 2006 draft to choose Jay Cutler, and I remember how then-starting quarterback Jake Plummer responded, which is how McCoy responded to Cleveland's choice of Weeden. He said he would fight for the job and win the position ... which he did, only to be replaced by Cutler after the Broncos were 7-4.

Well, yeah, you say, that was Jake Plummer. True, except that Jake Plummer led the Broncos to the AFC Championship Game the season before. You don't draft quarterbacks in the first round to compete with the quarterbacks you have. You draft them because you believe in them, and what you believe is that they're better than what you have.

Dating back to 2001, there have been 29 quarterbacks chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft. All but five started their rookie seasons -- including the past 11. One of those five was Cleveland's Brady Quinn, taken at the 22nd spot in the 2007 draft, but look what happened that year: The Browns finished 10-6, or the last time they had a winning season.

So Quinn barely saw the field. He was the exception. Weeden won't be.

Unlike Quinn, he's not going to a team that will be 10-6 and second in its division. He's going to a team that's 18-46 the past four years, hasn't won more than five games in any of those seasons and plays in a division with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincinnati -- all 2011 playoff teams.

I know Holmgren said the Browns are improved, and I've known Holmgren long enough to respect what he says. But what's improvement? 5-11? 6-10? Weeden isn't going to a team with an established quarterback, as Aaron Rodgers did in 2005 or Philip Rivers in 2004. Nor is he going to an organization that tells everyone beforehand that it won't play its rookie unless it absolutely, positively must ... which is what happened with Cincinnati and Carson Palmer in 2003.

In case you're wondering, all those guys sat down their rookie seasons -- something that won't happen with Brandon Weeden.

Nope, he plays, and he plays because you have to sell your fans something more than Trent Richardson, an improved defense and promises. You have to sell them hope, and once upon a time there was hope with Colt McCoy. But that was two seasons ago when the Browns knocked off then-defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans and perennial powerhouse New England in successive weeks, then took the New York Jets -- a club that went to the AFC title game -- to overtime.

I thought McCoy had a future. The Browns apparently don't. That's why they drafted Weeden. When you're 29th in offense and 30th in scoring and have fewer offensive playmakers than Cleveland has surf shops, you don't spend one of two first-round draft picks on a 28-year-old quarterback if you like the guy you already have.

So let's just make this clear. I don't care if someone says there's competition at quarterback in Cleveland. There should be. But Holmgren and general manager Tom Heckert didn't take Brandon Weeden because they think he might beat out McCoy and Wallace.

They chose him because he will beat them out.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nor is he going to an organization that tells everyone beforehand that it won't play its rookie unless it absolutely, positively must ... which is what happened with Cincinnati and Carson Palmer in 2003.

I'm pretty sure we did that with McCoy.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Let's see if I have this right. The Cleveland Browns expect rookie Brandon Weeden to win the starting quarterback job but say he still must beat out incumbents Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace. Well, of course he must, but from what I gather, he just did ... when the Browns spent a first-round pick on him.

What both holmgren and Heckert have said over and over again is that there is competition for the starting job.. By picking Weeden at 22, they have an expectation he'll win the job.

Doesn't mean he will however.

Not sure what this reporter is trying to make a big deal out of.

Weeden will be given every chance to win the job,, if he does,, he does.. that's as simple as it gets.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Weeden will be given every chance to win the job,, if he does,, he does.. that's as simple as it gets.

The point is.

There is no QB competition.

Barring injury, Brandon Weeden will start. Any ideas other than that are silly.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
semantics. the QB competition is Weeden vs. himself.

if he falls on his face this offseason, then he loses the job. if he doesn't, then it's his for the taking.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Weeden needs to take most or all of the snaps that are available with the first team offense. Splitting them between the three for the sake of competition would be foolish. They already know what McCoy and Wallace can and can't do, and our starter Weeden needs the experience and reps.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Not even Aaron Rogers was very good his rookie year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Really? he did not sniff the field until year 4, and then he was real good.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's not totally true. I do remember him filling in for Favre here and there and he looked awful.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
j/c..didnt Favre pave the way for Seneca by saying he was not mentoring Rodgers..???

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Legend
Legend
He came in once against Dallas, played most of the whole game. Looked really good. Which was why GB felt "Ok" with moving on from Favre.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I was just pointing out that...

Quote:

Quote:

That's not totally true. I do remember him filling in for Favre here and there and he looked awful.

were both partially incorrect..

Last edited by OSGuy; 05/10/12 12:50 AM.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The point is.

No, that's not the point.., Heckert said so himself. Here is the exact question and response from Heckert:

Quote:

MF: So if McCoy ends up being the best guy, Colt McCoy the guy who was a third round pick two years ago, if he ends up being the best guy he’ll be the starter Week One?

TH: Yeah, I mean that’s the way I think we look at it at all positions, you know, it’s the same thing to a lesser extent with Trent. If Trent is not the guy, we would play the best guy. But our feeling is going in that those two guys are going to be, you know, hopefully what we thought they were and be the guys.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/931586/an/0/page/0#Post931586

having said all that,, I agree, Weeden is probably gonna get every opportunity to be the man. and I think he'll get the job.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

The point is.

Yes barring injury 'or readiness' he will start this coming season.

Look we are not going to simply throw Weeden in if he isn't obviously ready to run the offense yet (we think he can), but yes we did Draft him to be our future starting QB. That doesn't mean it has to be in week one of the season.

With all due respect it's too premature to 'demand' that he is the starting QB week one. So yes in a sense Brandon Weeden does have competition.

Himself.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Nope. There is a subtle, but big difference. Weeden will be given every chance to lose the job.

Weeden starts day one unless something happens....like he gets hurt or he decides he doesn't have to attend team meetings.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
... OR he flat-out sucks and McCoy is obviously the better option. Not likely (at least I certainly hope not), but stranger things have happened with rookie QBs.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

... OR he flat-out sucks and McCoy is obviously the better option. Not likely (at least I certainly hope not), but stranger things have happened with rookie QBs.

I hope Weeden looks great...
But...
I hope Colt looks like a complete stud. Why wouldn't anyone want this? Now I'm not going to compare him to Brees, but the situation that arose with SanDiego having Brees stud out after drafting Rivers. IF Colt studs out its only a VERY good thing for us. Any other opinion is jaded by a dislike of the guy.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Nope. There is a subtle, but big difference. Weeden will be given every chance to lose the job.

Weeden starts day one unless something happens....like he gets hurt or he decides he doesn't have to attend team meetings.

Or he isn't the best and most ready.

It wouldn't surprise me or sour me on Weeden if McCoy beat him out initially. Hell, he's got a year in the system now so mentally at least, you would expect Colt to be better prepared.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Brandon Weeden will receive almost all of the 1st team snaps in training camp. He has to in order to be ready to go game 1. There are very subtle ways that a team has a "competition" without actually having competitors. The team has decided that McCoy was not the QB they thought could lead them anywhere. Weeden, unless he completely flops in training camp somehow, will start the season.

Colt McCoy might get 2nd team snaps ...... or he might be traded. It all depends on how the front office sees him adapting to his new position as backup, and how the team responds to his new position as backup. If it appears to be a distraction, then he's gone. If some team comes along and makes an irresistible offer (like a 4th or 5th) then he's gone. QBs go down in the pre-season ..... so who knows what could happen.

The team could also decide that McCoy can exist as the backup, and then move Wallace. I think that this is a less likely option.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
More of the same Blah blah blah..

What you are saying is there is NO WAY IN HELL, that mccoy will win the job because he won't get a chance to win the job... I kinda believe that could happen..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
What I am saying is that the team has already decided who their QB will be next season, and while there will be a "competition" of sorts ....they will use their time (and first team snaps) getting next year's starter ready .... not running a phony competition.

I have seen one true QB competition in my lifetime as far as the Browns are concerned, and that was a few years ago when they split the snaps between Quinn and Anderson ...... neither guy really had enough time to prepare to start the season ..... and it was a train wreck.

I don't see Holmgren, Heckert, and Shurmur being that dumb.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I was just pointing out that...

Quote:

Quote:

were both partially incorrect..

Perhaps the words were incorrect, but the meaning behind them was not. I'm pretty sure he came in during his rookie season at one point. I just remember seeing him and seeing him struggle.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just Clicking

Something just occurred to me.,, How long do you think it will take for some fan of an opposing team to come up with a sign that refers to "Weeden Whacker" and he means one of thier Defensive linemen

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The team could also decide that McCoy can exist as the backup, and then move Wallace. I think that this is a less likely option.

Why is that scenario less likely in your opinion?

I would think that Colt not only provides a better option as a backup, but a younger and far less expensive one too.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
It all depends on how McCoy will adapt to being the backup.

If he goes to almost any other team, he will absolutely be the backup. On the Browns, he is a former starter ..... and may still see himself in that role.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm pretty sure he came in during his rookie season at one point. I just remember seeing him and seeing him struggle.

With the technology at your fingertips, why be "pretty sure"? Just look it up.

Preseason his rookie year he was 27 for 42 for 209 yards and 3 TDs

In his rookie year he came in during week 4 against Tampa Bay and went 2-5 for 6 yards...

Preseason his second year he was 6 for 8 for 63 yards (must have been hurt)

He appeared 4 times in his second year in mop up duty and went 7 for 12 for 54 yards and 1 INT.

His first real game experience came in weeks 14 and 15 of his 3rd year in 2010 when he went:

Detroit: 15 of 26 for 177 yards and 1 INT in a game which they lost 7-3
New Eng.: 24 of 37 for 251 and 3 TDs and 1 INT and lost 31-27

His next serious game action was the game against Detroit last year...

Not sure what, if anything, you can tell from that.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It all depends on how McCoy will adapt to being the backup.

If he goes to almost any other team, he will absolutely be the backup. On the Browns, he is a former starter ..... and may still see himself in that role.

I don't think one ever stops wanting to be the starter, but Colt also doesn't strike me as the type who would be a problem in the locker room. I would hope that any backup sees himself as a starter.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Weeden think he'll be ready to start right away

Link Copied to Clipboard