Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rambo Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
This is awful. Those kids deserve a severe punishment. The video is extremely hard to watch.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/21/us/new-york-bullied-bus-monitor/index.html

Middle schoolers bully bus monitor, 68, with stream of profanity, jeers

By Faith Karimi, CNN

(CNN) -- A profanity-laced video of middle school students in upstate New York verbally abusing a bus monitor is sparking an outpouring of support as strangers worldwide rally to her side.

Students taunted Karen Klein, 68, with a stream of profanity, insults, jeers and physical ridicule. Some boys demanded to know her address, saying they wanted to come to her house and steal from her.

One comment from a boy aboard the bus was especially painful, she said. He told her that she does not have family because "they all killed themselves because they didn't want to be near you."

Klein's eldest son took his own life 10 years ago, according to CNN affiliate WHAM.

The bullying continued unabated for about 10 minutes in the video, as a giggling student jabbed Klein's arm with a book and made fun of her weight.

Recorded by a student with a cell phone camera Monday, the brazen bullying went viral and spurred international outrage.

The incident occurred in Greece, New York, near Rochester. Klein is a bus monitor for the Greece Central School District, and the harassers hail from a district middle school.

In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Klein said children misbehaved occasionally, but Monday's incident was unlike any other she had experienced.

Despite the incident, she said she does not believe her harassers are bad kids.

"Not deep down. But when they get together, things happen," she said.

As the intimidation unfolded, she tried to disregard the harassment and didn't hear everything that was uttered, she said.

But she said it hurt deeply.

At one point, she said, she told two children, "I am a person, too. I shouldn't be treated this way."

Klein said she kept looking out of the window, counting down the seconds to when the students would get off the bus.

"It was one of those things, I didn't know what to do," she said.

No charges have been filed because Klein has decided she does not want to press criminal charges, according to Greece Police Capt. Steve Chatterton.

He stressed that the investigation is continuing and the bus monitor could change her mind.

A juvenile must face a felony or misdemeanor to be charged in family court, while harassment only qualifies as a violation, he said.

Klein told police she didn't hear some of the threats on the video and she would not have felt threatened had she heard them, the police captain said.

"I've gotten e-mails from the United Kingdom (and) from all over the United States saying prosecute, prosecute," Chatterton said. "I feel it. I feel it. But we have to follow the law. We can't tailor the law to meet this case because of public outrage."

The police captain said the four students pinpointed in the video, all of them seventh-graders, spoke to police voluntarily and without lawyers present.

Outrageous moments caught on camera

"As one father put it, his son is sitting back, waiting for his punishment," Chatterton said. "No one has denied accountability and they've taken responsibility for their actions."

CNN's "AC360" received statements from two of the accused middle schoolers and the father of a third student apologizing for their behavior.

"When I saw the video, I was disgusted and could not believe I did that," one boy named Josh said. "I am sorry for being so mean and I will never treat anyone this way again."

A teen named Wesley said he regretted his actions and "would be really mad" if someone had done the same to a family member.

"If your friend says to bully somebody, please don't do it," said the father of Luis, another of the seventh-graders. " We apologize to Ms. Klein. We're deeply sorry."

The video prompted an outpouring of support and a fundraiser by international crowd-funding website indiegogo.com that had gathered more than $450,000 by Friday.

Indiegogo's Max Sidorov said the video struck a chord with him because he is a bullying victim and the first thing that popped into his mind was to raise money to get her away from the environment.

"I had no idea I was going to raise anywhere near this amount. I thought maybe a few thousand," Sidorov said from Toronto. "Maybe to send her somewhere nice. But this is enough for her to retire."

Southwest planned to provide Klein and nine others with an all-expense paid trip to Disneyland in Southern California. Klein said the outpouring of support is overwhelming.

"I don't feel like I've done anything," she said after learning of the Southwest offer on CNN. "It's awesome."

The school district said its bullying team and the local police are conducting an investigation.

"We have discovered other similar videos on YouTube and are working to identify all of the students involved," the school district said.

Teen says bullies beat him, sues New York schools

It did not elaborate on whether the additional videos are related to Klein's case, though school officials say they were all apparently posted by the same user.

"While we cannot comment on specific student discipline, we can say that students found to be involved will face strong disciplinary action," the school district said.

The students and their family members have received death threats, according to Chatterton.

"We have custody of one of their cell phones, and he had over 1,000 missed calls and 1,000 text messages threatening him. And he is a 13-year-old," the police captain said. "That must stop."

Klein said she's not pushing for criminal charges, but wants the boys to be punished.

She suggested a few disciplinary actions -- such as a ban from the bus and athletic activities or community service. But most of all, the grandmother of eight said she hopes this is the end of it.

"I want to make sure that they never do this again, to anybody," she said.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't know.. I wouldn't mind being harassed as a bus driver and then later receive $500,000+ from the internet because of it. Sounds like an awesome lottery ticket win.

But those boys should be punished.

Link

As of this morning, more than $512,000 has been raised for a 68-year-old bus monitor who was the verbally attacked by four Grade 7 boys earlier this week in a suburb of Rochester, New York.

The incident made international headlines after a cellphone video of the encounter was posted on YouTube.

The four boys involved in the incident are now the subject of international fury and have received death threats, police report. Officials also say that Karen Klein has no interest in pursuing charges against her attackers. The school district, however, has indicated the boys will be disciplined.

As Reuters reports, the fundraiser was initially set up to send the grandmother of eight on the “vacation of a lifetime.”

“I’ve got these nice letters, emails, Facebook messages,” she said. “It’s like, wow, there’s a whole world out there that I didn’t know. It’s really awesome.”

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
She didn't ask for $500,000+. She didn't even want to press charges on these punks. She's an old lady who was, as I understand it basically a hall monitor on a school bus - which in itself is a testament to today's youth. The video itself goes right up near the top of my "worst things I've ever watched" list.

These "kids" need to be punished severely... how, I don't really care. Then when you're done with them punish their parents or whoever is raising them, again, I don't really care how.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

She didn't ask for $500,000+. She didn't even want to press charges on these punks. She's an old lady who was, as I understand it basically a hall monitor on a school bus - which in itself is a testament to today's youth. The video itself goes right up near the top of my "worst things I've ever watched" list.

These "kids" need to be punished severely... how, I don't really care. Then when you're done with them punish their parents or whoever is raising them, again, I don't really care how.

While she might have not asked for it, the amount of money she's receiving is bound to have a backwards affect on any sympathy that she should receive. Heck, I would love to be receiving that money for being bullied by these kids, after all I was bullied throughout my schooling and all I ever received was mental scars that still exist in the form of poor communication and social skills. And she could have just declined to take the money or even take the money beyond the "goal" or just donate the rest, instead she's using it to retire.

Though on the other hand, she is the authority figure on the bus and should have been able to set her foot down on this, but then again nowadays you just cannot drop the kids off at any random place..

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I can remember kids doing this type of thing to bus drivers, teachers, other children, and just about anyone else when I was in school. It really becomes a mob-mentality-type-thing, one kid amps up the other kids and then they all gang up and attempt to out-do one another with taunts and insults.

I can remember several teachers crying from the daily abuse when I was in the 8th and 9th grade.

Its a sad thing, but, when was in school, it was fairly commonplace. After all, these are kids we are talking about(or teenagers, same thing, only they look more adult-like). And kids seldom think about anything except themselves and their friends--and they definitely aren't thinking about consequences and repercussions. They want to push their bounds, attract attention, and "prove" themselves in any number of stupid, disrespectful, and generally annoying ways.

IMO..

the only difference between this behavior and behavior that has been going on for probably decades...is the fact that today's youth come equipped with cell phones, and a ten-minute video can be uploaded to the internet where it can become viral and reach millions of people in only a few moments...and with our twenty-four hour news cycle, this type of thing can then be plastered across a myriad of news feeds where every news-caster out there can tell the public how awful this is, tell you how upset you should be about it, and pander these juvenile antics to the rest of the world.

Sorry...but this type of stuff has been going on forever, and the only difference between this here, and what has gone on before it...is the fact that this has been recorded and broadcast into the homes of people across the country......

....and oh yea, another difference between this type of thing years ago and today...is today, we consider name-calling a police matter...

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
-Its a shame the kids are tearing into this old lady.
-Kids do this all the time.
-Better an adult than the kids who gets this daily.
-Maybe they shouldn't have an old lady monitoring 13 year old boys.

Its fairly irrelevant what any of us thinks unless we're donating money or politicians. I won't put any kids I have into public schools because I think they are poorly designed boredom factories. So I don't particularly feel surprised when kids coming out of those have behavior problems.

Last edited by Kingcob; 06/23/12 01:43 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think it was as bad when corporal punishment was still around.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I guess that I kinda fell in between the really old days, where kids had respect for adults and acted accordingly, and where kids had just a small amount of concern about getting a swat at school, and another when they got home.

I remember a lot of crap going on when riding the bus when I was a kid. I took a lot of crap when I was a kid, because I was the red headed freckle faced kid. None of this stuff is new ...... however it does get better publicized.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
When I was that age, there was a man named MR. Schoonemaker. MR. Schoonemaker had a first name, there was a kid who called him by it. ONCE. Nobody ever did that again.

"MY NAME IS *MR* SCHOONEMAKER! I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND! I AM NOT YOUR BUDDY! YOU WILL ADDRESS ME AS *MR* SCHOONEMAKER! IS THAT CLEAR?"
Punctuated by slamming the kids body into the hallway lockers, hard. Many times.

MR. Schoonemaker was built like a gorilla. He had a paddle with multiple holes in it to reduce wind resistance and increase velocity.

In three years of middle school, I do not recall any kid, even the hard-core boods, who ever was sent to MR. Schoonemaker a second time. Problem behavior ended with the first visit.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think the boys deserve a suspension, possibly followed by a month-long period with early detentions, along with a permanent ban from riding the school bus. When they ask "but how will we get to-and-from school?", the answer should be "that's your problem.". I wonder why they weren't simply kicked off the bus when this happened.

Legend
Legend
Since she is not pressing charges I REALLY hope their parents punish them... I couldn't get past the point where she told them if they have nothing nice to say to say nothing at all and then one of the boys told her to shut the **** up... just unbelievable!

The utter disrespect of some people, specifically youth today, is unbelievable... I don't know what happened for the rest of the tape because I couldn't watch it, but I would have hoped someone would have stood up for her on the bus... just ridiculous.

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Since she is not pressing charges I REALLY hope their parents punish them... I couldn't get past the point where she told them if they have nothing nice to say to say nothing at all and then one of the boys told her to shut the **** up... just unbelievable!

The utter disrespect of some people, specifically youth today, is unbelievable... I don't know what happened for the rest of the tape because I couldn't watch it, but I would have hoped someone would have stood up for her on the bus... just ridiculous.

Maybe a silly question.. but what charges could be charged in this? Verbal abuse? The only thing I can think of is Distracting the driver... But if there's a chargeable crime here, then that is what she should have done in the first place as that would stop and gain control of her bus in future situations.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Harassment for charges. Fairly easy to prove. In a civil court she can do emotional distress etc.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Harassment for charges. Fairly easy to prove. In a civil court she can do emotional distress etc.

You can press charges on someone for verbal harassment? That is surprising to me, and disconcerting. The school can punish these children, and it all would have been handled better if this bus monitor were not so incompetent. And as for the parents, punishing them for what their children do presupposes that the parent is mostly, if not completely, responsible for who their children are. Children are either monsters or followers--always have been, always will be--and there is not much parenting can correct about that. And since when do we hold one person accountable for someone else's actions? We're not talking about Jesus Christ here; punishment should fall on the guilty individual--no one else.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Yes you can, it's just usually very difficult to prove since typically it is one persons word against another, but with video proof, that changes the game.

But I have to ask...What is a bus monitor's job anyway?

Last edited by FloridaFan; 06/23/12 11:34 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I think whoever allowed that little old lady to even be in that position needs a whacking.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think this could actually be an area where bankrupt, ex-NFL players should begin their post-football careers to make a few bucks.

Those kids probably wouldn't make fun of Warren Sapp...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

But I have to ask...What is a bus monitor's job anyway?

Apparently, the job is to take a bus ride everyday while you cry as kids insult you. I do not have much sympathy for this woman, and after watching her interview with Anderson Cooper the other night, I'm convinced that this whole affair amounts to nothing more than cheap sentimentality, which is too bad because there are important lessons to be learned here. One lesson is that there is no virtue in weakness, especially when it is the weakness of an adult against the maliciousness of children. Coddling this woman by giving her a ridiculous monetary prize for her impotence sends the message that weakness is a virtue, a virtue that will be rewarded if the situation arouses this society's superficial moral indignation.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Apparently, the job is to take a bus ride everyday while you cry as kids insult you. I do not have much sympathy for this woman,

two thoughts that come to mind.. 1. you apparently didn't watch the video or you'd know it was more than insults.. And 2. you'd be ok with your kids harrassing an elderly woman? And then getting away with it?

Your just ticked off because she's getting a wad of dough.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No, he's clearly a tough guy. To hell with the elderly.

smh.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
To your first question, I did watch the video. Perhaps my definition of "insult" is too broad, but nevertheless, I know everything they said to her.

To your second question, I would not be ok with my kids harassing an elderly woman. In fact, they would be severely punished for it. However, in addition to my punishment, I would expect the school to punish my kids as well, and I would accept it as a compliment to my punishment. And who is the primary person responsible for this part of the punishment? It is the bus monitor who is riding the bus for the very purpose of making sure incidents like this do not occur. Why does she sit there and take it? Does she have no options? This is the core of my lack of sympathy for her. She is incompetent.

What I don't think you, and the person who posted after you, understand is that my problem with this whole affair is the message it sends. The money is only one element of a much larger problem. I thought this was perfectly clear in my previous responses.

Legend
Legend
Couple more points,, she didn't try to sue the kids or thier parents.. she didn't call for anything more than whatever the school felt was appropriate for punishment. She also didn't ask for one single dollar to be donated to her.. NOT ONE.

As for what is it she did or didn't do.. I promise, had she taken any action like giving them a butt whooping, people would be calling for her head. She was in a NO WIN situation.

this is Dumber than dumb.. Kids did something wrong, they will be punished and somebody thought it would be nice to send that lady on a vacation,, I don't think anyone thought it would ever get that big.

And it's certainly not her fault that it did. but she'd be a damn fool to turn it down..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Wow....

I was thinking some things right along the same lines...

Quote:

I'm convinced that this whole affair amounts to nothing more than cheap sentimentality, which is too bad because there are important lessons to be learned here. One lesson is that there is no virtue in weakness, especially when it is the weakness of an adult against the maliciousness of children. Coddling this woman by giving her a ridiculous monetary prize for her impotence sends the message that weakness is a virtue, a virtue that will be rewarded if the situation arouses this society's superficial moral indignation.

You know...this hadn't occurred to me right away...but now that its been mentioned---this whole scenario could have been avoided had the school elected to choose someone else as the bus monitor. Someone who wouldn't cry at the petty insults of some delinquent kids---maybe someone who would have offered them detention or suspension for their behavior....

I think that the whole outcry about these kids and how they treat this woman is pretty ridiculous as well....is it sad....yea. It is. The kids deserve to be punished. But is it new, or should it be a police matter---hell no.

It shouldn't have gone as far as it did...but this woman has to shoulder some of the blame for being so completely inept in her ability to handle some children...

The whole media angle is ridiculous too....

Quote:

Coddling this woman by giving her a ridiculous monetary prize for her impotence sends the message that weakness is a virtue, a virtue that will be rewarded if the situation arouses this society's superficial moral indignation.

x1000

Its ridiculous.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Couple more points,, she didn't try to sue the kids or thier parents.. she didn't call for anything more than whatever the school felt was appropriate for punishment. She also didn't ask for one single dollar to be donated to her.. NOT ONE.

Though she didn't say anything to say stop donating money to me or enough is enough, which is just another way of asking for more by her inaction to step up and say something about it. If she got her vacation out of it great, but once it went way above that and continued to go on it makes me feel less sympathy for a person who should have had been able to control the situation in the first place. All her sympathy now is in the form of Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Jackson and Benjamin Franklin. But all this large sum of money is justifying her inability to do her job, which is what Mantis was saying. Yes it was terrible what occurred and these boys should face severe punishment.

Of course, she isn't suing the parents because she's already getting her payday from this, which is more than a lot of people would see when worse things happen to them. I don't feel sorry for her anymore, but maybe that is just the fact that she is richer than me now. The only way I could see her better is if she decided to just take her vacation, which was the intent of the donations in the first place, and then donated the rest to start an organization to combat bullying which would be a larger message that is bigger than herself. But maybe you are right that she would be foolish to not keep all that money, because I would probably do the same thing but then I would expect to lose some of the sympathy vote for that action as well.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wow.

The woman did exactly as she should have. She ignored it. For as long as she could anyway. When it became physical, she still attempted to ignore it. (granted, it wasn't a beating she was taking physically - but the poking, prodding.......yes, it became physical).

Had she done what I would've done, she'd have been arrested.

Some of you need to understand that she was their as a monitor - so she could report bad behavior about 1 student, or a group of students, to the school. Let the school deal with it. Luckily for her, the little bullies video'd it and put it on youtube.

She asked for nothing. No money, no charges against the kids.

Now, just imagine this crap goes on to some extent on close to every school bus in the u.s. But 99% of the time it's not towards an adult - it's towards students. It happens to the boy/girl that's a bit overweight, or has acne, or doesn't wear the right clothes.............and the wolves close in.

For what? Oh, for the bullies to be able to feel better about themselves. And people on here are defending these idiot kids?

Had the monitor done anything physical - she'd have been fired, probably arrested..........and the bullies would've had another star on their sleeves.

The school district should suspend the kids involved for at least a few months. Make mom and dad teach them at home. If mom and dad won't - tough. Juvey.

Teach them now, so they don't live off of us later.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Teach them now, so they don't live off of us later. ]

Sad, but so true.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

The woman did exactly as she should have. She ignored it.

I totally disagree...I don't understand that logic at all. Isn't she there to discourage that kind of behavior?!?

What she should have done is made the kids sit in different seats--separated them and instructed them that they would be getting wrote up for their behavior and if they kept it up, she would recommend they be suspended from the school bus---for the year.

By just sitting there, she pretty much invited these kids to continue doing as they were doing.

Quote:

just imagine this crap goes on to some extent on close to every school bus in the u.s.

yea....this type of behavior has been become pretty common-place over the past few....decades..

Quote:

And people on here are defending these idiot kids?

I don't think anyone is defending these idiot kids....I think people just think that this woman was completely inept in her handling of the situation....and is now getting all this sympathy for her total lack of ability in doing her job. She is actually getting large sums of money offered to her for doing her job badly...its ridiculous.

F
Legend
Legend
F
jc.

Ok, so as a bus monitor(we didn't have them when I was a student, the driver was the only adult on the bus), it is her job to maintain order on the bus? If so then why would she do this job, she clearly is not prepared, trained or physically capable of doing so, at least no on this particular route or with this age of kids.

2) WTF was the bus driver doing during all this? I'm sorry, but a bus is not that big. Our bus drivers never had an issue with yelling back to us to calm down or stay in our seats, etc, so for 10 mins the driver just kept going, ignoring this?

Legend
Legend
So what.. She didn't ask for the money..

She's on the today program right now.. She got an apology from the kids.. thought that was fine, but she wanted to know why they did it? Why they thought it was OK.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with people giving to something or someone that feel deserve it.. Right now, it sits at 644K., That's a helluva lot of money... But SO WHAT>

I hope she gets millions.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
I once did a classic pratfall on some ice getting off the school bus. All the other kids pointed and laughed. It hurt my feelings - and my tailbone. That ought to be worth a couple grand.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
SFAIK neither the driver nor the "monitor" have any authority of any kind to do anything to these kids. If they tell them to sit down and shut up, and they don't, that's it. These kids have no fear of any kind of penalty.

I mentioned MR. Schoonemaker earlier; every kid in that school FEARED that man. Just the mention of " Do that again, and I will send you to MR. Schoonemaker" solved the problem, every single time.

Kids are taught today that no adult may touch them; even if just their feelings are hurt, they can sue and/or complain and that adult will lose their job. It is more important that their self-esteem not be damaged than that they learn that rules are to be followed.

I asked my teen-age son once "what happens if your (half-) sister does something wrong?" Answer - " Nothing, mom won't do anything about it". (Note - two totaled cars and pregnant at 19, still unmarried with menial job). "What happens if You do something wrong?" Answer - " Oh, I won't do anything wrong BECAUSE I KNOW YOU WILL *DO SOMETHING* ABOUT IT" (Emphasis added, except for the DO SOMETHING).

Rules are to be followed. Consequences are to be enforced. Those consequences are to be Feared. Take away that fear, and you get anarchy.

I invite all of you to observe the interior of school buses when you see them in traffic. It's like a class where the teacher has left the room. Assaults, beatings, theft are all becoming common. School shootings were unheard of when I was a kid. Swift, sure, and certain punishment for wrongdoing was a fact of life.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

SFAIK neither the driver nor the "monitor" have any authority of any kind to do anything to these kids. If they tell them to sit down and shut up, and they don't, that's it. These kids have no fear of any kind of penalty.

I mentioned MR. Schoonemaker earlier; every kid in that school FEARED that man. Just the mention of " Do that again, and I will send you to MR. Schoonemaker" solved the problem, every single time.

Kids are taught today that no adult may touch them; even if just their feelings are hurt, they can sue and/or complain and that adult will lose their job. It is more important that their self-esteem not be damaged than that they learn that rules are to be followed.

I asked my teen-age son once "what happens if your (half-) sister does something wrong?" Answer - " Nothing, mom won't do anything about it". (Note - two totaled cars and pregnant at 19, still unmarried with menial job). "What happens if You do something wrong?" Answer - " Oh, I won't do anything wrong BECAUSE I KNOW YOU WILL *DO SOMETHING* ABOUT IT" (Emphasis added, except for the DO SOMETHING).

Rules are to be followed. Consequences are to be enforced. Those consequences are to be Feared. Take away that fear, and you get anarchy.

I invite all of you to observe the interior of school buses when you see them in traffic. It's like a class where the teacher has left the room. Assaults, beatings, theft are all becoming common. School shootings were unheard of when I was a kid. Swift, sure, and certain punishment for wrongdoing was a fact of life.

+1

They have no fear of any adult with "authority" because they cannot do anything about it and the kids know this. We had the same type of principal when I was in grade school that you speak of in MR Schoonemaker. Very, very few kids got out of line, and if they did it was one time. Also, most parents would punish 10x worse than the school.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That';s the way it is in schools today.

When I was a kid,, did something against the rules, the paddle came out.

And they gave you a couple of Whacks with it.

Buddy, let me tell you, you learned damn quick not to do that again.

Today, if that happens, the teacher gets fired, the school gets sued and the kid grows thinking there is no punishment for doing bad things... ends up in jail, or worse yet, as a wall street banker

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #703091 06/25/12 01:56 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

Last edited by columbusdawg; 06/25/12 01:58 PM.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
There should probably be different schools for people who want their children physically disciplined.

The reality is that school isn't military bootcamp. And going around paddling or bodyslamming people is known as assault in civilian society. Effective, but illegal, much like mugging someone. How the recipients being children makes it alright is kind of mind boggling.

How would you react if some neighbor paddled your kid for disrespecting them? Kid: Hey George! Nutjob: " My name is Mr. Zimmerman! " *bodyslam*

Last edited by Kingcob; 06/25/12 03:04 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There should probably be different schools for people who want their children physically disciplined.

The reality is that school isn't military bootcamp. And going around paddling or bodyslamming people is known as assault in civilian society. Effective, but illegal, much like mugging someone. How the recipients being children makes it alright is kind of mind boggling.

How would you react if some neighbor paddled your kid for disrespecting them? Kid: Hey George! Nutjob: " My name is Mr. Zimmerman! " *bodyslam*

Absolutly took what I said incorrectly.

I'll say it again, in my day (damn, that sounds bad) when a kid did something wrong, broke the rules, there was punishment.. it was swift and it was, generally just.

My mom and dad were as protective of thier children as anyone today, but knew the value of following rules.

When I say paddling, I don't mean beat the kid to death. I'm not talking about one student beating another. I'm talking dicipline

Kids today can do something,, what do they get, suspended.. that's it. that's about the worst thing that can happen. but in my day (there that is again,, ugh) you got your fanny paddled and you were embarrased.

And you LEARNED to be a better person because there were consequences if you weren't.'

For my money, I think it worked a lot better than what we do today. Kids aren't dumb. they know they can't be physically beaten.. all they get is a tongue lashing and that's that.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Sorry Daman I was responding to 4-5 posters in general.

I suppose the question of whether physical punishment is effective would need to be proven scientifically. Or else I'd just be going "nuh uh" while you say "uh huh".

There are some studies showing it is effective in the short term, but can cause behavior problems to worsen compared to other punishments. We don't need to rehash the science here unless you're interested.

Chances are we come from a different generation and simply won't agree on this. Raised differently and for all we know have genetic differences where we won't agree.

Paddling kids seems freaking crazy to me. Body slamming a kid for daring to disrespect an adult sounds like something a psychopath would do to me. You can't paddle or bodyslam your wife, I don't understand how it is acceptable for strangers to do this to children.

I think there are inherent flaws in public schools where the trouble makers can't be expelled. Same basic flaw in all of government and social programs basically.

I'm a ridiculously libertarian guy so I can handle the idea that we might just completely disagree on how society should be organized and how people should react in response to authority figures.

That's fine, we're both free to spin our wheels

S
Legend
Legend
S
As a bus monitor, doesn't she have the right to punish these kids?

Like as in, letting the principal know what is happening on this bus?

You verbally assault a teacher or someone like this, boom hope you didn't have plans on saturday.

What's the point of having someone monitor the bus if they're just gonna sit there and take it from those little bastards?

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Sorry Daman I was responding to 4-5 posters in general.

I suppose the question of whether physical punishment is effective would need to be proven scientifically. Or else I'd just be going "nuh uh" while you say "uh huh".

There are some studies showing it is effective in the short term, but can cause behavior problems to worsen compared to other punishments. We don't need to rehash the science here unless you're interested.

Chances are we come from a different generation and simply won't agree on this. Raised differently and for all we know have genetic differences where we won't agree.

Paddling kids seems freaking crazy to me. Body slamming a kid for daring to disrespect an adult sounds like something a psychopath would do to me. You can't paddle or bodyslam your wife, I don't understand how it is acceptable for strangers to do this to children.

I think there are inherent flaws in public schools where the trouble makers can't be expelled. Same basic flaw in all of government and social programs basically.

I'm a ridiculously libertarian guy so I can handle the idea that we might just completely disagree on how society should be organized and how people should react in response to authority figures.

That's fine, we're both free to spin our wheels

One good swat, just like when you were a young child, 1 time was all it took for you to understand you didn't want to experience it again, so you were much more aware of when you were pushing the boundaries.

We're not talking Walmart parenting, where you drag the kid by the arm swatting repeatedly at whatever part you can make contact with. Obviously timeouts aren't working, detention doesn't seem to have much effect (they provide busing for detained students here.)

Call it inhumane, call it cruel, but sometimes the punishment must fit the crime. These kids will apologize in front of the public, but on the street they are laughing it up and bragging about their new found fame.

For 95% of the student body, when I was in school, the threat of being paddled was all it took. you didn't even need to experience it personally, but the stories from those that did was enough to make you pay attention and stay within boundaries. It didn't mean we never did anything wrong, but if you did AND you got caught, you KNEW the consequences, and you faced them.

So if physical punishment is not appropriate then what is? Jailtime, Juvenile DC? Community Service? Duct tape them to the flagpole in their underwear?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I suppose the question of whether physical punishment is effective would need to be proven scientifically

I don't know how old you are King. I"m guessing no more than 35. (Probably less) But I'm 60.. so I was in grade school and high School in the 60's.

You will never find proof that the way we did things back then was more effective than what they do today. All I have is experience. And my experience says that kids that feared getting their butts beat followed the rules. Because back then, when we got paddled at school, the school called the parents afterward to tell them.. (Of course, that was at time when parents seemed to care more)

When we got home, we got it again.

For what it's worth, I've never been arrested, I've not even been accused of wrong doing,. I'm not perfect, I've had traffic accidents and speeding tickets.. But that's about it. I learned that disrespecting my elders was wrong. I learned that bullying people was wrong, I learned the rules were there for a reason and that if I didn't think the rules were fair, then you argue to change it. But until you prevail, you followed the rules as written

that isn't scientific,, but it's real life..

That's the best I can do for you.. All I got is life experience.. if you wanna tell me that it's not worth anything,, be my guest, but you won't convince me.

When you get to my age, believe me, you'll understand..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Middle Schoolers Harrass Bus Monitor

Link Copied to Clipboard