Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sorry to all the fireworks fans, but I hope it pours tomorrow, so I don't have to deal with two neurotic dogs. They are terrified by the fireworks, even with the windows down and the AC on. Its bad enough I can't calm them down, but they won't even go outside to do their bidness. Guess where they go.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
This US summer is 'what global warming looks like'
Associated PressBy SETH BORENSTEIN | Associated Press – 8 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — If you want a glimpse of some of the worst of global warming, scientists suggest taking a look at U.S. weather in recent weeks.

Horrendous wildfires. Oppressive heat waves. Devastating droughts. Flooding from giant deluges. And a powerful freak wind storm called a derecho.

These are the kinds of extremes climate scientists have predicted will come with climate change, although it's far too early to say that is the cause. Nor will they say global warming is the reason 3,215 daily high temperature records were set in the month of June.

Scientifically linking individual weather events to climate change takes intensive study, complicated mathematics, computer models and lots of time. Sometimes it isn't caused by global warming. Weather is always variable; freak things happen.

And this weather has been local. Europe, Asia and Africa aren't having similar disasters now, although they've had their own extreme events in recent years.

But since at least 1988, climate scientists have warned that climate change would bring, in general, increased heat waves, more droughts, more sudden downpours, more widespread wildfires and worsening storms. In the United States, those extremes are happening here and now.

So far this year, more than 2.1 million acres have burned in wildfires, more than 113 million people in the U.S. were in areas under extreme heat advisories last Friday, two-thirds of the country is experiencing drought, and earlier in June, deluges flooded Minnesota and Florida.

"This is what global warming looks like at the regional or personal level," said Jonathan Overpeck, professor of geosciences and atmospheric sciences at the University of Arizona. "The extra heat increases the odds of worse heat waves, droughts, storms and wildfire. This is certainly what I and many other climate scientists have been warning about."

Kevin Trenberth, head of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in fire-charred Colorado, said these are the very record-breaking conditions he has said would happen, but many people wouldn't listen. So it's I told-you-so time, he said.

As recently as March, a special report an extreme events and disasters by the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warned of "unprecedented extreme weather and climate events." Its lead author, Chris Field of the Carnegie Institution and Stanford University, said Monday, "It's really dramatic how many of the patterns that we've talked about as the expression of the extremes are hitting the U.S. right now."

"What we're seeing really is a window into what global warming really looks like," said Princeton University geosciences and international affairs professor Michael Oppenheimer. "It looks like heat. It looks like fires. It looks like this kind of environmental disasters."

Oppenheimer said that on Thursday. That was before the East Coast was hit with triple-digit temperatures and before a derecho — an unusually strong, long-lived and large straight-line wind storm — blew through Chicago to Washington. The storm and its aftermath killed more than 20 people and left millions without electricity. Experts say it had energy readings five times that of normal thunderstorms.

Fueled by the record high heat, this was one of the most powerful of this type of storm in the region in recent history, said research meteorologist Harold Brooks of the National Severe Storm Laboratory in Norman, Okla. Scientists expect "non-tornadic wind events" like this one and other thunderstorms to increase with climate change because of the heat and instability, he said.

Such patterns haven't happened only in the past week or two. The spring and winter in the U.S. were the warmest on record and among the least snowy, setting the stage for the weather extremes to come, scientists say.

Since Jan. 1, the United States has set more than 40,000 hot temperature records, but fewer than 6,000 cold temperature records, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Through most of last century, the U.S. used to set cold and hot records evenly, but in the first decade of this century America set two hot records for every cold one, said Jerry Meehl, a climate extreme expert at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. This year the ratio is about 7 hot to 1 cold. Some computer models say that ratio will hit 20-to-1 by midcentury, Meehl said.

"In the future you would expect larger, longer more intense heat waves and we've seen that in the last few summers," NOAA Climate Monitoring chief Derek Arndt said.

The 100-degree heat, drought, early snowpack melt and beetles waking from hibernation early to strip trees all combined to set the stage for the current unusual spread of wildfires in the West, said University of Montana ecosystems professor Steven Running, an expert on wildfires.

While at least 15 climate scientists told The Associated Press that this long hot U.S. summer is consistent with what is to be expected in global warming, history is full of such extremes, said John Christy at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. He's a global warming skeptic who says, "The guilty party in my view is Mother Nature."

But the vast majority of mainstream climate scientists, such as Meehl, disagree: "This is what global warming is like, and we'll see more of this as we go into the future."

___

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report on extreme weather:

http://ipcc-wg2.gov/SREX/

U.S. weather records set:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/records/

___

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Sweet. Now can we drag politics into the Andy Griffith thread, too?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Or maybe its just what we call "summer" ... ya know, what we waited all winter for?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sweet. Now can we drag politics into the Andy Griffith thread, too?

I think you're in the wrong thread.

Unless I'm missing the joke you're trying to make lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Sun has been very active this year. Even late February and Early March it was letting off huge eruptions which in turn warms are little Marble. June 18th it has another large eruption and again yesterday it released another one. We can reduce our carbon usage to nil yet if the Sun is going to bombard the planet with plasma then we are going to be hot.

Sun Unleashes Early Fourth of July Fireworks

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Oh no, it has to be global warming ..... there can't possibly be any other kind of explanation .......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
J
Legend
Legend
J
No. This is the first summer where it's been REALLY hot.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Come on down to Chattanooga and you'll get hot and sweaty every April through September, and I am not even accounting for the fact I am here.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No. This is the first summer where it's been REALLY hot.

not true.

back in the 80's there was a big drought. Back when the dust blew from the plains to DC there was a big drought and super high temps.

I still don't get what the big deal is. the Giant yellow thing in the sky controls most of our weather. The ozone hole is shrinking. IMO Global warming has nothing to do with people.

Since everyone stopped using CFC's the hole is closing and global warming has been increasing. Now they are saying the two are not linked and it's really the greenhouse gasses that are causing all of the trouble because we fixed the leak in the ozone and the earth is getting hotter. I wonder if anyone has bothered to study the sun in the past 30 years.

this article talks about how since we fixed the ozone... it's going to speed up global warming.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate...-global-warming

this is one of my fav comments

"Hold on here. A few years ago, we had to hurry and make a lot of changes so that we could keep the ozone hole from getting bigger so we could save the polar bears.

Now that we've got it shrinking, we have to stop because a closing ozone hole might hurt the polar bears? "

so at the end of the day... no one really knows anything and we are all just wasting time and money trying to figure it out.

perfect. Meanwhile there are millions of people in the us that are homeless, diseased, hungry, and under-educated.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
I think that she was being sarcastic ......... of course, without smilies or colored fonts .... who can be sure?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I still don't get what the big deal is. the Giant yellow thing in the sky controls most of our weather.

Big Bird flying?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
J
Legend
Legend
J

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Come on down to Chattanooga and you'll get hot and sweaty every April through September, and I am not even accounting for the fact I am here.

Lol, here in NW Louisiana it's hot and sweaty from March through Thanksgiving.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I know. I have kin in St. Bernard, SE, La. About as far south as you can go and still find spots of dry land.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've got a kiddie pool my dog likes to "swim" in that I'm going to put about an inch of water in for the birds today (in addition to the regular bird bath). A few large limestone rocks so the little ones can get out of the water and all should be well. This is crazy heat and I've got more birds at the water than I've ever seen. I'm sure the water will evaporate by 2pm.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
the birds in the neighborhood are always eating our chickens' food and drinking water from our swimming pool (blech). They probably drink from the chickens' waterers, too, but I haven't seen it.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Good for you. I don't water the birds, I have a big lake about 30 yards away that has some beach head...they water there. I do feed them from a feeder. I like to watch them....but, that lures in the devil squirrels who eat at my house if I allow them in the yard. I like squirrels. I really do, but for some reason the mountain stone and cedar makes them think they can live in my attic, and they can't.

If they enter my yard, I can live with that. As soon as I see one running around on my deck, roof, or any other part of the house, the pellet gun comes out until there are no more squirrels seen. Then a few months goes by with no problems, but then they invade again and sooner or later one of the devils breaks my rule and invades my domain, and the process starts over. Sight up the gun and plunk them on sight.

I've thought about dumping the feeder, but the squirrels invade anyway, so why deny the enjoyment of beautiful birds??

Plus, it makes a convenient place to watch to defend the home once the invasion takes place..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

Hot? Our vehicle read 104 degrees when we pulled in to watch my daughter's friends play their softball game. (the "upper" team).

Why'd we go? Daughter wanted to. But, I sat in the sun - watching the players PLAY in the sun. Just because, I guess.

Legend
Legend
They cancelled all games at the rec where my son plays.....except his game! I guess the heat's dangerous unless the game has an effect on final league standings.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

They cancelled all games at the rec where my son plays.....except his game! I guess the heat's dangerous unless the game has an effect on final league standings.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Now - this was just a regular league game we went to tonight - but 2 other towns cancelled their league games due to the heat.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C...

I work out on the roads as a highway worker. Yesterday at about 1pm, I'd guess the temp was about a 1,037, a guy walked out of his house with a cooler full of water and pop for the crew. It was an incredibly nice thing to do and something more should do - especially on days like yesterday and for those working outside on a day like today.

God Bless that man.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
S
Legend
Legend
S
I can't take the heat, I'm already sick of summer.

Why does it seem like summer and winter take forever, but the awesome seasons like fall and spring go by so fast?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Summer is my least favorite season.

Fall > Spring > Winter > Summer

D
Legend
Legend
D
Relief on the way; its supposed to be a high around 82 tomorrow in NE Ohio. Thats more like it.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'll cosign on that order. Sept-Nov is the best time of the year. Even December ain't that bad because you have Christmas.

It's just nice to not need heat or A/C, and to sleep with your windows open with fresh air coming in. Plus football is in full swing.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'll cosign on that order. Sept-Nov is the best time of the year. Even December ain't that bad because you have Christmas.

It's just nice to not need heat or A/C, and to sleep with your windows open with fresh air coming in. Plus football is in full swing.

Guess I never really thought about it, but dang, you may have hit on something there.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
No surprise to me. I hate this heat. Give me mid-60s to mid-70s all day, every day.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I love summer, but heat indices of 100+ are too high even for me. 70-80 is my sweet spot for a perfect summer day.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Guess I never really thought about it, but dang, you may have hit on something there.

Well the thing is we all as kids dreaded it, but now that most of us don't have summers off, and some of us have kids, it truly is the best time of the year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I love summer, but heat indices of 100+ are too high even for me. 70-80 is my sweet spot for a perfect summer day.

I'm loving this heat, and if I wasn't wrapped in gauze and more concerned about making sure that my surgical sites don't get sweaty & funky, I'd be spending a LOT of time outdoors right now.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We're finally hitting the 80's. Humidity in the 20% range. Summer has finally arrived!

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Nice!

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just give me mid-March through early April and I'm good.

NCAA Tournaments, year 'round! lol.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Agreed

This year it's a little different because I love watching the Olympics but for the most part not a lot of sports going on worth watching.

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
I love summer too, but I haven't had power at my home for 8 days now, thanks to that storm that blew through two Fridays ago. To add to that, it has been consistently 95 to 103 degrees every day, and this is starting to get reeeeeal old.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I feel sorry for you, I wouldn't be able to sleep a minute at night without a/c in this heat.

I don't like winter and do like the summer, just not the 95-100 degree temps. Keep it in the 85-90 range and I'm happy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No way.

Summer may be hot to the point of miserable sometimes ..... but summer also brings far sexier (and less) clothing on the ladies.

I'll suffer through heat and skin as opposed to bitter cold and coats.

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
As nice as it would be to have my A/C on, I consider it a luxury. I would just like to have a working refrigerator and hot water available.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
See, my theory is this...

If I get too cold, I can always add more layers.

If I get too hot, there's only so much I can take off before people start getting offended.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Is it hot, or what??

Link Copied to Clipboard