Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Legend
Legend
C
Right. I was responding to someone saying we should fire Shurmur now. I was saying we shouldn't fire him now because we don't have any viable replacements.

Maybe Holmgren can coach the team now that he has so much free time.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The problem is our offensive coordinator is a failed head coach. Our defensive coordinator is a failed head coach. Both had the same problems as head coaches that Shurmur does now. Might as well keep Shurmur around and then clean it out after the season.

What do Chilly and Dick's problems as HCs have to do with them being OC/DC?

Some guys are great CoOrdinators but just can't do the big job...

I think he's referring to why letting Shurmur go mid-season wouldn't help... because both of our coordinators are also failed HCs... not that they are bad coordinators...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Gotcha.

I don't know what to do really.

Firing Shurmur only helps if the change to someone else sparks us in the positive way... And like you said I doubt it will.

As long as whoever is running the show next year doesn't feel the need to go the 3-4, I can see what we have now going forward as not being THAT BIG of a changeover.

Sure changing offenses would suck, but maybe whoever comes in uses T Rich correctly for once...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
just talking to the wife about this and think about it this way. Tressel won his last game a big Bowl game as coach. Luke went 6-7 then Meyers has Ohio State at 10-0. Its the coaching. Time for an overwhelmed underpreforming coach to take a seat.

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 11/04/12 09:59 PM.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Atlanta was mocked for hiring a DC from Jacksonville that some said didn't even run the Defense...They seem to be doing fine with him.

I THINK that's the same idea Holmgren had, I seriously doubt he hired someone JUST because they were his buddies nephew.. It just didn't come to pass, I think Shurmur took too much on to begin with anyways, but then in the end he's just not HC material...

The thing is, we've tried EVERYTHING (College HC, OC, DC, Former HC) what do we do now?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
special Teams Baby!!!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Atlanta was mocked for hiring a DC from Jacksonville that some said didn't even run the Defense...They seem to be doing fine with him.

I THINK that's the same idea Holmgren had, I seriously doubt he hired someone JUST because they were his buddies nephew.. It just didn't come to pass, I think Shurmur took too much on to begin with anyways, but then in the end he's just not HC material...

The thing is, we've tried EVERYTHING (College HC, OC, DC, Former HC) what do we do now?

I much as you dont know. I like people that have an air of arrogance to them because usually they may be like sandpaper to the nerves they do preform and get the job done. Shurmur is more of a guy that is overconfedent (sp?) to me and those types almost never perform at the expected level.

When Chud came here as the OC he drew up a playbook just for our team he was confedent not cocky. Didnt work for whatever reason. I am on a couple names now for our next HC and they are both ex head coaches 1 we would have a chance at 1 I highly doubt.
If we go for Seely(sp?) to the poster above and many others Im dont know what I would think. I guess mostly well Ive got his back lets see what he does before I look for the gun like I have now with Shurmur.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Who was the last Browns coach the fan base liked ? Anyone ?

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
Marty

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Marty

x2

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

special Teams Baby!!!

you mean Cohwer?

Joe Thomas #73
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Marty

Yea.. but I STILL hear the "Martyball" comments. I do agree he was the last coach most fans liked.. But then look at the players he was given to work with. I guess what I'm saying is.. TOAD would have won as head coach in Indy the last ten years with Manning and company there. I'm not sure anyone can make THAT much difference here with the talent we are showing right now.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Marty

And what was his downfall here? He lost Lindy and refused to hire an OC. Instisted on calling his own plays. Sounds like some coach we have now doesnt it?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Marty

And what was his downfall here? He lost Lindy and refused to hire an OC. Instisted on calling his own plays. Sounds like some coach we have now doesnt it?

I again heard the announcers say that Chilly is calling the plays to Shurmur who then relays them to Weeden.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I do keep hearing it.

If Chilly is now calling the plays and Shurmur has had the stresses of the entire offense taken off of his shoulders, what's left? If he's just doing game-day coaching right now, he's still a miserable failure at it.

I don't really know what's left to discuss with him. If you are a bad game-day coach, you can't BE a head coach. Romeo proved that. Shurmur has proven it now.

Changing directions, I know the talk is to fire him now. I don't know what that would really solve. You fire coaches because the pressure is at the breaking point. You do it so that the players, fans, and media who hate the guy see that he's gone, then they breath, then they relax, and finally the pressure is off. I don't see external forces reaching the brink of explosion here. I just see a head coach who is in over his head. Firing him now won't accomplish anything hugely productive.

Now or at the end of the year...Shurmur is toast.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Marty

x2

If there's a write-in ballot, I'm down with this one.

#GMSTRONG
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea.. Chilly said as much in his 10/4 presser on the teams web site.. "HE needs to do a better job calling the plays.. " You could say Pat could override every call OR Fire the OC but who are u going to replace him with, PAT ?

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Marty

I again heard the announcers say that Chilly is calling the plays to Shurmur who then relays them to Weeden.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I do keep hearing it.

If Chilly is now calling the plays and Shurmur has had the stresses of the entire offense taken off of his shoulders, what's left? If he's just doing game-day coaching right now, he's still a miserable failure at it.

I don't really know what's left to discuss with him. If you are a bad game-day coach, you can't BE a head coach. Romeo proved that. Shurmur has proven it now.

Changing directions, I know the talk is to fire him now. I don't know what that would really solve. You fire coaches because the pressure is at the breaking point. You do it so that the players, fans, and media who hate the guy see that he's gone, then they breath, then they relax, and finally the pressure is off. I don't see external forces reaching the brink of explosion here. I just see a head coach who is in over his head. Firing him now won't accomplish anything hugely productive.

Now or at the end of the year...Shurmur is toast.

I cant argue that but I think that the pressure is alot more then you think. I am now at the point where Im totlly done with Shurmur and at that point there is no reason to keep him around. As you said hes toast so why keep him at this point?
Its not even about winning more games anymore it just about letting the players know that we are actually about trying to win games still instead of Battle to lose.

You are right Ive heard the same about the playcalling coming from upstairs but I personally dont believe it when I see Shurmur with his head in that playchart it drives me crazy beyond belief.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I just want to add I agree with going for it on 4th and 2, but the major problem is that we should not have been in a fourth down situation there. They ran on 1st and gained what, like 6-7 yards? Keep running the ball to get another set of downs!

Instead, our go to plays on 2nd and 3rd and short are either huge shots down the field or little outs where the route ends 2 yards before the 1st down marker. Why not a comeback or slant route to get those yards? Let your guys catch the ball either past the marker or catch the ball with forward momentum to get the 1st down.

Also, the game management is unacceptable. Wasting timeouts on bad challenges and not getting plays into the players is killing this team.

Some of the playcalling is better, especially the concerted effort to run the ball outside, but the lack of good playcalling still hurts. Our first two drives we gained good chunks on first down, only to waste those opportunities with unnecessary low percentage passes.

I can see the team not getting blown out, but at a certain point battling is no longer an acceptable excuse for losing.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Let me chime in

number #1 rule, u extend the game.

I think Shurmur needs to give up calling plays and focus on being the HC.

Last edited by Paco; 11/05/12 03:11 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It was the right decision, just horribly play called and executed...I am sure you would be in here blasting him if he had punted it. Ravens just needed a 1st down to close the deal...your D needed a stop anyway if you DONT make it...but down 7p, that's not the way you approach a 4th&2. Punting after losing the lead would have come close to a give-up move...you just don't put the game in the hands of Rice vs some rook DTs, especially after he had some 5-10yd runs the TD drive before. DL did a heck of a job in the 2nd and 3rd Qtr stopping their Offense, but was gassed late in the game...we had just 6 healthy DL for 4 positions, so it was less rotating as usual, so more snaps per head..and one of them just came back from a lenghty injury

It was absolutely the right decision, (gameday specific and philosophically) it's not even debatable imho

Legend
Legend
There was 3:53 left. The Browns had 2 time outs left.

They had the ball on their own 28. They were down by 7 at the time. If they don't make the first down, the Ravens kick the FG and take a 10 point lead.

That's exactly what happened.

It was the wrong call at that time.

If the Browns punt, the Ravens probably get the ball inside their own 30. There is probably 3:45 left in the game, and the Browns have 2 time outs.

If the Browns play defense like they did, and stuff the Ravens on 3 downs, forcing the punt, they probably burn both time outs, but get the ball back with around 3 minutes left.

Going for it in that situation was the wrong call. It ended the game right then and there, because it allowed the Ravens an unimpeded path to a 10 point lead with 3 minutes left.

If the ball had been outside of FG position for the Ravens, then I would agree with going for it at that point. However, the Ravens could have just lined up and kicked the "put the game away" FG from where we turned the ball over on downs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Defense like they did? You're talking about the 2nd and 3Qtr....the last drive Rice owned the DL and the unit was clearly done for the day....again, we had 3 bodies for DT and 3 bodies for DE...at DT we had 2 rooks and Taylor, who came from injury. All they needed was a 1st down and we see the ball with no TOs under 2min AT BEST.

The call was right, the play call and execution wasn't...there's the problem. If you intend to go for it, mix in a run while the D is in pass formation, it's not rocket science. They're basically giving it to you, but Shurmur was more concerned of getting the 1st and stepping out of bounds, which played into the hands of the D as that's what they're trying to defend...it was stupid, but you have to go for it....just can't punt it there. Whole stadium would have booed (righfully) and players would have given up

My problem with Shurmur is that he can't decide if he wants to be uber-aggressive or uber-conservative....he's mixing those 2 approaches up without a clear plan..in Indy he goes deep on 2nd and 3rd&1 and then punts. In this game he runs it on 3rd&11 in the redzone and then goes for it on 4th at their own 30, passing 3 straight times...it doesn't make much sense and is giving out mixed signals to his players

Legend
Legend
Whether it was the correct call or not (I agreed with going for it) and we had made the 1st, even if we managed to drive the length of the field I'm sure Triplette's crew would have called offensive PI on us if we had scored.

It just wasn't our day.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I hope you mean head chef.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

My problem with Shurmur is that he can't decide if he wants to be uber-aggressive or uber-conservative....he's mixing those 2 approaches up without a clear plan..in Indy he goes deep on 2nd and 3rd&1 and then punts. In this game he runs it on 3rd&11 in the redzone and then goes for it on 4th at their own 30, passing 3 straight times...it doesn't make much sense and is giving out mixed signals to his players

Hey, I totally agree with you.. as I spent much of last week saying, Shurmur just doesn't appear to have a plan, he doesn't seem to think beyond the next play call.

Part of it is not on Shurmur though, it's on Weeden. As we also said last week, there is more than one option of a play and Weeden seems to like the 2 yard pass on 3rd and 4 and the 30 yard pass on 3rd and 1... We do not have an offense that can overcome a lot of mistakes, or that can be counted on to get 4 or 5 yards on 3rd down, we NEED to move the ball when we have the chance....

yebat' Putin
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Actually, I'd be happy with an offense that could reliably get ONE yard when we need it. How many times have we looked at 2nd or 3rd and 1 and ended up punting this season? Seems like way too many times to me. Getting a yard is more will (for both coaches and players) than anything else and our guys just don't seem to have that in them right now. It's enormously frustrating.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually, I'd be happy with an offense that could reliably get ONE yard when we need it. How many times have we looked at 2nd or 3rd and 1 and ended up punting this season? Seems like way too many times to me. Getting a yard is more will (for both coaches and players) than anything else and our guys just don't seem to have that in them right now. It's enormously frustrating.

It's not so much will when you throw a 15 yard pass on 3rd and 1.. that shows lack of confidence in your line and your RB to just stick their nose in and get 1 yard... Would be interesting to look, but I bet we throw almost as much as we run on 3rd and 1..

yebat' Putin
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
The thing is we will probably never know what Chilly is calling, what plays if any Shurmur is over ruling Chillys call on. Maybe Childress calls for T Rich on 3rd and 1 and Shurmur decides to pass instead. I would love to know.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
The phantom roughing the passer call had as much to do with that drive continuing as anything the Ravens did. Not trying to defend the D on that series but the Ravens had alot of help.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It was the right decision, just horribly play called and executed...I am sure you would be in here blasting him if he had punted it.

No, that was me blasting him last week when DID choose to WRONGLY punt it. What was amazing is that the idiot stated he'd punt it again if given the same situation.

Clueless.

The book says you punt. That's where this ends. You kick and give your defense...a defense that to that point had seen Flacco ring up something like a paltry 150 yards...a chance to make a stop, especially at home.

From Bud Shaw TODAY:

Quote:

If Haslam instead chooses to believe his eyes, what he saw in the Browns' seventh loss in nine games was wasted timeouts, more impotence on third-and-short and his coach unconvincingly masquerading as a riverboat gambler. Even with Halloween delayed in northeast Ohio, Shurmur picked the wrong time and place for the role playing.

The Browns' head coach no doubt feels unfairly second-guessed. In this case, not guilty, your honor. This was a first-guess. Trailing by a TD. Almost four minutes remaining. Fourth-and-two at the Browns 28 after another confounding third-down completion short of the first-down sticks.

Until the previous Baltimore drive aided by a roughing-the-passer penalty, the Browns had limited the Ravens to next to nothing in the second half. The Browns had two timeouts and the two-minute warning. Punt and there's time to hold 'em, ask Josh Cribbs to provide field position and give the offense one more try.

With much friendlier field position in Indianapolis, Shurmur punted. Sunday, he went for it, despite a day of mystifying communication issues on offense and scattershot accuracy from quarterback Brandon Weeden. Fail and you give the Ravens the ball already in field-goal range. And that's exactly what they did. A fourth-down pass intended for Greg Little soared out of reach. Ravens 25, Browns 15.

"Had it been converted, it would've been talked about as what a gutsy move," Shurmur said.

Little backed up Shurmur, saying the Browns go for it there "10 out of 10 times." Really? OK, scratch Little from consideration as player/coach when Haslam goes looking for Shurmur's replacement.

No. Had it been converted, it would've been an unnecessarily risky decision that happened to turn out OK. Again, Shurmur can argue the Browns didn't lose the game in Indy because he punted, and didn't lose the game Sunday because he didn't punt. Both are true. That's also a low bar.

Sunday's decision actually benefited from other mishaps overshadowing it. Like an illegal formation negating a TD. Wasted timeouts. Too many men on the field on defense. Odd play calls. In one mind-boggling series, the Browns started a drive with a minute to go in the third quarter with two false start penalties. Then they needed a timeout. The drive ended on another third-and-1 incomplete pass with Trent Richardson gashing the Ravens' run defense.

"There was some sloppiness there and, of course, I'll take the responsibility for that," the coach said.

What was the cause? Shurmur said the communication issues had nothing to do with Weeden's helmet, as was the case last week. Little said the helmet was shorting out on Weeden, who twice curtly refused to comment.

Does that clear things up?

The third-and-short offense is even harder to understand. First series of the game, Richardson runs for nine yards on second down, setting up the dreaded third-and-1. Against the 30th-ranked run defense, the Browns, of course, passed -- Weeden incomplete to Alex Smith.

Next series, third-and-1, trailing 7-0, Weeden threw again. A long Baltimore drive and it was 14-0.

The Browns deserve credit for regaining the lead from there, even if five Phil Dawson field goals is how they did it. But much of that credit goes to great adjustments on defense. In other words, to Dick Jauron's side of the ball.

Haslam says he doesn't plan to make any changes until after the season. Shurmur, a good guy in a tough spot, still deserves that much.

But you get the feeling he will need a call from the governor now and we don't mean Haslam's brother.

I'm sure he won't be the last writer to chime in on yet another blown call by Shurmur.

There's no defense or justification for going for it right there. But try. I need a good laugh...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Here's another one from SBNation:

In addition to overcoming mistakes like touchdown-nullifying penalties, the Browns also seem to have a problem overcoming the play-calling oddities and in-game decision-making quandaries of their head coach. Down by seven points after the Smith touchdown and a successful two-point conversion, the Browns were facing 4th-and-2 with almost four minutes to go in the game. They were on their own end of the field and had a long way to go for the tying score, unlike two weeks ago in Indianapolis where they had a 4th-and-1 in Colts territory.

In that game, Shurmur decided to punt the ball away and rely on the defense to get the ball back in time to have another shot. The decision ended up costing the Browns about 40 yards in field position and took about 2 crucial minutes off the clock. Shurmur was criticized heavily in the media the following week for what reporters and fans deemed a safe and gutless play. With the way the Colts were carving up the Cleveland defense in that game, there was no guarantee the Browns would get the ball back. They eventually did, but it ended up being moot in the end as the Colts held on for the win. Later that week, offensive coordinator Brad Childress revealed to the media that they didn't have a play they liked in that situation so they decided to punt the ball away. "Just that we didn't feel that we had the call that we wanted, that type of thing," said the Browns offensive coordinator. That‘s right, even after Weeden was forced to use a timeout because the play clock had run down to single digits, they couldn‘t come up with a play they liked on 4th and 1. Baffling.

This time, at their own end of the field with even longer to go to get the first down, Shurmur, perhaps using the Colts game as a reference, elected to go for it. The result was just as predictable as Weeden, who played poorly all afternoon, sailed a slant pass about three feet over the head of Greg Little and the ball fell incomplete. The result was a turnover on downs and the Ravens eventually kicked a field goal to give them a two-possession lead late in the fourth quarter.

Not only is the decision to go for it THIS time (when they chose not to LAST time) puzzling, the Browns defense was playing lights out all afternoon, sans the first quarter. It seemed to most onlookers that the decision to punt there and force the Ravens to go the distance of the field and rely on your defense to get you off the field would have been the smarter move. But Shurmur continues to surprise and confuse with his in-game decision-making and his mystifying habit of trying to out-think conventional wisdom when it comes to football strategy.

After the game, Shurmur defended the call by saying that, THIS time, they had a call that they liked so they decided to take the shot. His terse response when asked about the call to go for it, "I wanted to get the first down," Shurmur said. "It felt like we had a play that we liked and we didn't execute it well. That's why." It begs the question... what call is there on 4th and 2 deep in your own territory that isn't there on 4th and 1 in your opponent's territory?

Speaking of the tough questions, Shurmur continues to let the local media know how much they get under his skin when they ask him about these types of decisions following a loss. This time, when Browns beat reporter for ESPN Cleveland, Tony Grossi, questioned him about the discrepancies between his play-calling in the Ravens game and the Colts game, Shurmur went on the defensive and looked visibly upset at Grossi. "What do you mean? It will be a fun thing for everyone to talk about this week, just like when we lost the game and I didn't go for it," he said. "I don't know what you're talking about, ‘my nature.' I don't know you that well, you probably don't know me that well." Needless to say, his inability to handle pressure both in the game and during postgame press conferences does not inspire confidence in his leadership abilities going forward.

That's two. There will be more.

Clueless and indefensible, and I'm not even talking about just those two idiotic decisions.

Think about what Chilly and Shurmur said. I mean REALLY think about what they said...

They didn't go for it on 4th and 1 in Indy. Why? Because they...and I quote..."We didn't have a play we liked."

But wait...the justification for making an idiotic gamble this week was because...this time...and I quote....'I felt that we had a play we liked..."

Jumpin' Jesus, you have GOT to be kidding me.

Not only are we seeing how a coach totally lacks the in-game ability to make adjustments and think quickly on his feet in order to come to the CORRECT decision in back-to-back weeks at critical junctures, we ALSO are seeing how the Head Coach...the man ultimately responsible for how the entire team and structure is being molded and executed...can't even find a play "they like" to get a 4th and 1, then turn around and blow the entire deal a week later with a ridiculous and unnecessary gamble.

Haslam is going to be hard-pressed to stick to his word and not fire Shurmur....er...excuse me...not make any decisions (sic)...until after the season is over.

I can't ever recall a Browns head coach who continually makes idiotic decision after idiotic decision, and we've had some real duds come through here.

We're now well into the "If not When" segment of the show which is titled "The Firing of Pat Shurmur."

Somehow, the phrase "Dead Man Walking" has never been more aptly applied, nor more deservedly so.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Brad Childress revealed to the media that they didn't have a play they liked in that situation so they decided to punt the ball away. "Just that we didn't feel that we had the call that we wanted, that type of thing," said the Browns offensive coordinator. That‘s right, even after Weeden was forced to use a timeout because the play clock had run down to single digits, they couldn‘t come up with a play they liked on 4th and 1. Baffling.

This goes back to what I was wondering how much Shurmur is overturning paly calls from Childress. Could this be double talk for "I sent down a play but Shurmur didn't agree and elected to punt".

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Conventional wisdom says that if Chilly is calling plays it's highly unlikely that Shurmur is constantly over-ruling him, but what you're suggesting is possible.

I just don't know which busted system is more damning: The tandem of Chilly and Shurmur not being able to find a play they like in an obvious 4th and 1 situation, or Shurmur constantly over-ruling his OC at critical junctures of the game...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If we are ever at 4th and goal one the 1 at the end of the game down by 5 I expect one of you to run down there and call a play!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Gladly!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The book says you punt. That's where this ends. You kick and give your defense...a defense that to that point had seen Flacco ring up something like a paltry 150 yards...a chance to make a stop, especially at home.

Flacco? Who cares anout Flacco...it's Ray Rice vs a tired out DL that was short handed to begin with. He got chunks of yds the TD drive before, so I could care less what the book or Bud Shaw says...the SITUATION (just got robbed off the lead, lost momentum at home vs Division rival, your DL gassed, 2-6 record) demanded to go for it...if he would have punted the chances of us not even getting the ball back PLUS the % of converting the 4th made it a no brainer...also, you never would have heard as loud a stadium booing...and with the Browns, that's saying something and don't even try to convince me that would not have mattered because players and coaches are humans too, it WOULD have mattered...it would have been a give up move

I agree with you that he's clueless, but he actually corrected his gaffe from Indy...it looks horrible now, because you could defend a punt yesterday better than in Indy, but it still was the right move to go for it in both games

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we are ever at 4th and goal one the 1 at the end of the game down by 5 I expect one of you to run down there and call a play!

Just try to get the play in to the QB with at least 20 seconds left on the play clock.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Let me chime in

number #1 rule, u extend the game.

ugghh.. no

number #1 rule should be, you maximize your chance of winning the game. if that means putting it all on the line on 1 play instead of pushing the difficult decision back, you do that.

a 50/50 shot at having a 30% chance at winning the game is better than a 100% chance of having a 10% chance of winning the game.

Quote:

Shurmur needs to just be fired and given his 7 figure settlement lol. Just not for this one

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Later that week, offensive coordinator Brad Childress revealed to the media that they didn't have a play they liked in that situation so they decided to punt the ball away. "Just that we didn't feel that we had the call that we wanted, that type of thing," said the Browns offensive coordinator. That‘s right, even after Weeden was forced to use a timeout because the play clock had run down to single digits, they couldn‘t come up with a play they liked on 4th and 1. Baffling.

It's 4th and 1, line up and punch somebody in the mouth.. how hard is that?

Or here's a thought, if you don't think you have a good play for 4th and 1, then don't throw it 20-40 yards downfield on 2nd a 1 AND 3rd and 1.. the fact that it should have worked on 3rd and 1 is irrelevant... GET THE FIRST DOWN.

I wonder how much the Chilly calling plays, Shurmur adjusting or changing them is playing into us not being able to get a play in on time?

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's become pretty apparent that the coaching staff doesn't trust TRich to get 1-2 yds in those situations and I kind of understand as he either gets 5+ or gets stopped for no gain...I expected something else from a "workhorse" and the coaching staff probably too. He's got to learn to play to the situation or he won't, well, PLAY in those situations...that easy

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Back to the Shurmur conversation

Link Copied to Clipboard