Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
lot easier to run on 3rd and 1 or 2 if you have a FB blowing guys back like Vonta Leach was doing to D'Qwell and TJ in the first quarter yesterday.

Legend
Legend
I disagree with you.

With 4 minutes left, along with 2 time outs, it is idiotic to go for it on 4th down from your own 28.

All Baltimore had to do at that point was run the ball 3 times, kick the FG, and win by 10. That's exactly what happened. Once they stopped us on 4th down, the game was over. We had no chance.

Punt the ball, play defense, and get the ball back with a completely new set of downs. Weeden has shown enough ability to drive the ball down the field to offer some hope that he can do it again t tie things up. We drove the field at the end of the 1st half to get to the Ravens 11, and kick a FG. That was with less than 1 minute left in the half.

Shurmur made the wrong call there, because it cost the game. I would be more likely to defend his decision to punt from midfield than to go for it from his own 28 under the circumstances of yesterday's game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's become pretty apparent that the coaching staff doesn't trust TRich to get 1-2 yds in those situations and I kind of understand as he either gets 5+ or gets stopped for no gain...I expected something else from a "workhorse" and the coaching staff probably too. He's got to learn to play to the situation or he won't, well, PLAY in those situations...that easy

I don't care.. give him the ball and that's how he learns.... If he has to watch on film that the OL did open a crease and he still bounced it outside and he has to answer for it, then he might change.. avoiding doing it isn't going to help anybody...... but on a different note, I'm not exactly sure what Weeden has done that they DO trust him to throw for it but don't trust Richardson to run for it... Weeden's decisions on 3rd or 4th and short have been far less than impressive.... throwing short of the marker or heaving it downfield when what we need is a few yards...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"It will be a fun thing for everyone to talk about this week, just like when we lost the game and I didn’t go for it."

-- Pat Shurmur
Head Coach, Cleveland Browns

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

It's become pretty apparent that the coaching staff doesn't trust TRich to get 1-2 yds in those situations and I kind of understand as he either gets 5+ or gets stopped for no gain...I expected something else from a "workhorse" and the coaching staff probably too. He's got to learn to play to the situation or he won't, well, PLAY in those situations...that easy

This is only partially true. Yes, T-Rich needs to learn to see the crack (no matter how small) and stick his helmet right in it and push through for the yard or two. No dancing. Don't look for the cutback. Just stick it up in there and get the yard.

HOWEVER, our OL has to develop the attitiude that allows the RB to do that. We're still allowing WAY too much penetration on running plays. The only thing that can really stop a short yardage run is penetration. We gotta get tougher up front at the point of attack or it won't matter what T-Rich does or doesn't do in short yardage situations.

It's a two-way street. Unfortunately, neither side is getting it done right now and our coaching staff isn't helping by insisting on throwing almost every time we get into short yardage situations. We're never going to develop the right attitude if ShurmChilly don't make them do it.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I disagree with you.

With 4 minutes left, along with 2 time outs, it is idiotic to go for it on 4th down from your own 28.

All Baltimore had to do at that point was run the ball 3 times, kick the FG, and win by 10. That's exactly what happened. Once they stopped us on 4th down, the game was over. We had no chance.

Punt the ball, play defense, and get the ball back with a completely new set of downs. Weeden has shown enough ability to drive the ball down the field to offer some hope that he can do it again t tie things up. We drove the field at the end of the 1st half to get to the Ravens 11, and kick a FG. That was with less than 1 minute left in the half.

Shurmur made the wrong call there, because it cost the game. I would be more likely to defend his decision to punt from midfield than to go for it from his own 28 under the circumstances of yesterday's game.

I think people are being overly optimistic about what our chances would be had we punted. This isn't just pure speculation; there are actually thousands of NFL games to pull data from and there are good statistical models out there to fill in the gaps. Had we punted, the Ravens would figure to have the ball with 1st and 10 around their own 35 yard line. With 3:45ish remaining, Browns 2 timeouts, Ravens up 7, NFL average there would be about 95% chance for the Ravens to win. If we punted, the Ravens would have had about a 95% chance to win the game. This seems about right as well, having to first force a stop, drive down for a TD in limited time, win in overtime etc.

That's why going for it is such a strong play. It doesn't really matter one iota whether you lose by 7 or lose by 10. You're several times more likely to score the tying TD by going for it and converting and actually having time to work with and timeouts to manipulate the clock.

Punting just makes it more likely that you're 'in' the game longer, whatever that means. It makes for good TV but a bad coaching decision. And again, most NFL coaches would punt there. That fact isn't lost on me... doesn't mean that I agree.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
NRTU Gopher.

Here's another judgment against Shurmur going for it on his own 28:

Quote:

web page

Asked why he made the call, Shurmur said, “I wanted to get the first down. I felt like we had a play that we liked and we didn’t execute it well. That’s why.”

Considering the field position and the time remaining, Shurmur gambled too soon. The incompletion ended the game even though there was still 3:50 to play.

Weeden wasn’t second-guessing, although his answer might have indicated otherwise.

“That’s not my decision. Whatever’s in my headset, that’s what I’m calling,” Weeden said.

Shurmur seemed to be reacting to criticism he took two weeks ago after a 17-13 loss against the Indianapolis Colts. With 6:38 remaining, Shurmur elected to punt on fourth-and-1 from the Colts 41, flip-flopping after a timeout.

In a postgame exchange, Shurmur didn’t agree that the fourth-and-2 call seemed out of character.

“What do you mean? It will be a fun thing for everyone to talk about this week, just like when we lost the game and I didn’t go for it,” he said. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, ‘My nature.’ I don’t know you that well, you probably don’t know me that well.”

When the Colts game was brought up, Shurmur said, “In both situations, the decision didn’t lead us to a victory did it? That’s why you talk about it. Had we converted it and we moved forward, then it would have been talked about on what a gutsy move it was, right?”

Had it worked, it wouldn’t have been seen in the same light as Sean Payton’s onside kick to start the second half in the New Orleans Saints’ Super Bowl XLIV victory over the Colts. With the Browns now 2-7, a victory over Baltimore would have been talked about more because of the Ravens’ woes than the Browns’ improvement.

In another breath, Shurmur said he believed the Browns were ready to play, even though they fell behind 14-0 and seemed to be sleep-walking through the first quarter.

But the fourth-and-2 decision might not have been what angered Shurmur’s players. Even more disconcerting was the amateurish operation on the sideline. The Browns couldn’t get play calls in and couldn’t get the proper personnel on the field. High school teams are run more efficiently.

There's more, but we get the idea.

There's no defense for what Shurmur did.

As noted, these aren't going to be the last articles that blast Shurmur. Even his own players are starting to bail...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Did you see the game? The OL pretty much never got pushed back...on that 2nd&1 early on, TRich had an easy 2-3yds...yet he decides to make 1-2 stupid sideways steps...hell knows why...he then made it worse by fumbling while dancing...that lead to the 3rd&1, not trusting him (same as in the Giants game), we threw (Weeden overthrew and got a BS penalty)...incomplete, punt..boom it's down 14p and uphill battle from there...all "started" with TRich's idiotic dancing play....I'm not saying he's responsible, but he started the "fail chain" and I was fuming after that play...everyone in the chat can attest to that

The OL was run blocking as good as pass blocking yesterday....only late in the game when they devoted more defenders in the box and didn't fear Weeden beating them deep anymore our run game dried out...

TRich had some incredibly beautiful runs yesterday, but he still got way too many idiotic ones too....he's so frustrating to watch...I'm starting to think that his ability and ego is getting in the way of him learning to play the right way on a more consistent basis...and as I said last week...as long as he feels "rewarded" with the occasional big run or miss tackle by the D, he won't change his approach...that's my biggest fear with him...that he think's he's too good to get "coached up" because I'm 100% positive that some RB coach, the OL coach, Chilly and even Shurmur have talked to him about getting what's there in those situations...yet, he still did the dancing. He must have gotten a pep talk on the sidelines after that fumble because he ran like shot out of a cannon all of a sudden after that play...if he can't get more consistent he will remain a big play back, an elite complementary RB, but not become a "workhorse" we all thought we would be getting and haven't seen yet...that's disappointing and frustrating...especially watching lower round rooks like Martin and Morris doing what he was supposed to do

People act as if TRich is a given...the truth is that he's as much to blame for the "inconsistencies" of this O as Weeden...and considering the positions (and price paid) I expected a much quicker consistent production output from him

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

People act as if TRich is a given...the truth is that he's as much to blame for the "inconsistencies" of this O as Weeden...

Boy, now if that ain't a stretch...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Nah, you just opt to ignore math and the other arguments....Rice got 5-8yds on every run the drive before...what makes you confident he doesn't get 10 on 3 runs? That, and the psychological situation of the team, crowd etc that you simply opt to ignore

Cite all the articles you want, it makes a good story because of the contrast to the Indy gaffe, but it doesn't change the situation

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Nah, you just opt to ignore math and the other arguments....

Math?

Are you keeping score as to how many talking heads are saying he's wrong? I can add them up if you like.

The book says you punt. The book is conventional wisdom. You can't argue "math" and "other arguments" against conventional wisdom.

There will be even more negative judgments against that move by Shurmur. This is a debate you can't win.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

People act as if TRich is a given...the truth is that he's as much to blame for the "inconsistencies" of this O as Weeden...

Boy, now if that ain't a stretch...

I invite you to go to nfl.com or ESPN and list all RBs on AVG...look where TRich falls...you'll be amazed. In 5 of 9 games he started he had a rush AVG of less than 3.5, which pretty much means he wasn't of much help

I would also take a bet that TRich has the least amount of rushes (% wise !) gaining 3-5yds...people get so excited over his 10yarders that they forget the 2 and -1yd runs he sandwitched it in

The sample size is large enough...he's a 3.8yd/run RB right now, not even close to league AVG and dug deep in the bottom 3rd of starting RBs

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Cite all the articles you want

Why thank you. I intend on doing just that.

Bill Livingston is now chiming in:

Quote:

"That was a baaadddd, bad call"

The disconnect in coach Pat Shurmur has to be right up there with the seriously bi-polar Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, though. Shurmur, who punted on fourth-and-1 at the Colts' 41 trailing by four points (the margin by which the Browns lost), went for it on fourth-and-2 at his own 28 Sunday, down by seven points.

3. On the play, quarterback Brandon Weeden threw a ball out of the Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn repertoire from "Major League." Greg Little was open on a slant, but it was jusssssst a bit high. The Cavaliers' 7-foot center, Tyler Zeller, only waves at that one.

4. It was a bad, bad, baaad call. There were still just under 4 minutes left. The Browns' defense had just given up the go-ahead touchdown and a two-point conversion, but otherwise the D had been putting up goose-eggs since the first quarter. The percentage call, certainly one most fans expected, was to punt the ball away, get a three-and-out or a short series and have, with the two-minute warning, three timeouts to use while trying to tie the game.

Oh yes, and there will be more.

Give me just one article defending Shurmur. Just one, then we can have a debate...

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Now Jamison Hensley is chiming in:

In the fourth quarter, the Browns just had a touchdown pass by Brandon Weeden nullified by an illegal formation penalty. When the Browns lined up again, Shurmur called a running play on third down-and-11 from the Baltimore 23-yard line. This tells me that he didn't trust his rookie first-round quarterback. Weeden had been erratic all game, finishing with two interceptions and a 54 percent completion rate.

On the Browns' next series, after the Ravens took back the lead, Cleveland faced a fourth-and-2 from its own 28-yard line. This time, Shurmur put the ball in the hands of Weeden, who wildly overthrew Greg Little. Trailing by a touchdown with 3:53 remaining, the Browns could've easily punted, especially with two timeouts left. Instead, he gambled with a quarterback who he feared was going to make a mistake in the red zone just a few minutes earlier in the fourth quarter.

"Had we converted it and we moved forward, then it would have been talked about on what a gutsy move it was,” Shurmur said. “Right?”

Shurmur is getting increasingly defensive when asked about his decisions because they all seem to be backfiring on him. It was two weeks ago when Shurmur chose to punt the ball at Indianapolis, where he had fourth-and-1 from the Colts' 41-yard line with less than seven minutes remaining. That's why it seemed strange that Shurmur went for it on fourth down Sunday when the ball was on his side of the field.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Nah, you just opt to ignore math and the other arguments....Rice got 5-8yds on every run the drive before...what makes you confident he doesn't get 10 on 3 runs? That, and the psychological situation of the team, crowd etc that you simply opt to ignore

Cite all the articles you want, it makes a good story because of the contrast to the Indy gaffe, but it doesn't change the situation

I don't think I'm ignoring the math.. we had a back who was rushing for over 4 ypc... we had a QB who was completing barely half of his passes... we have WRs that are prone to dropping passes.... we had over 4 minutes to go and plenty of timeouts and we came out and threw the ball 4 straight times... this isn't about Shurmur not trusting Richardson, this is about Shurmur thinking too much of his passing game... it's his panic mode.. when he feels the least bit desperate he's going to throw it every single play, that's his MO... usually.

The previous drive on 3rd and 11 on their 23 he runs it up the gut and doesn't trust his QB to try to pick up the first down, then on the next possession he relies exclusively on his QB when we still have plenty of time.. It's like he has no idea what his plan is, what he trusts and what he doesn't trust because it's constantly changing.. and not in the good mix-it-up sort way but in the bad, I've-got-no-clue-what-to-do-next sort of way...

yebat' Putin
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Now it's time for CBSSports.com to chime in:

Not that Weeden (20 of 37 for 176 yards) threw well when given the chance. It was his worst performance since the season opener. He tossed two interceptions and overthrew open WR Greg Little on fourth-and-2 with the game on the line.

That play spotlighted questionable strategy by coach Pat Shurmur, whose job security grew shakier. The usually conservative Shurmur opted to go for it with the ball on the Browns 28, with two timeouts and 3:53 remaining. The incompletion placed the Ravens in position to kick a field goal that clinched defeat. If the Browns were to shoot for a first down, a safer play might have been in order.

And now Jeff Schudel of The News-Herald:

Shurmur, criticized for not going on fourth-and-1 in Indianapolis from the Colts’ 41, went for it this time. A feeble pass intended for Greg Little was incomplete.

“I wanted to get the first down,” Shurmur said when asked about the play. “It felt like we had a play that we liked, and we didn’t execute it well.”

A reporter told Shurmur the gamble went against the coach’s nature.

“What do you mean?” Shurmur said. “It will be a fun thing for everyone to talk about this week, just like when we lost the game and I didn’t go for it. I don’t know what you’re talking about, ‘my nature.’ I don’t know you that well. You probably don’t know me that well.”

The Ravens cashed the turnover into a field goal to ice the game.

The fourth-down pass wasn’t the first time Shurmur went off the reservation Sunday. The Browns faced third-and-1 on their first two possessions and Shurmur called pass plays both times against the league’s 30th-ranked run defense.

Now for the sports editor of the Baltimore Sun:

Ron Fritz, sports editor: The Ravens really lucked out in this one. They were facing a team with an inept rookie quarterback and an equally inept coach. If Pat Shurmur isn't fired after this game for the idiotic decision of going for it with about four minutes left, he's as lucky as the Ravens. I'm sure the Ravens will say a win is a win, but if they continue to play this poorly for long stretches, good teams are going to crush them.

I rest my case.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I invite you to go to nfl.com or ESPN and list all RBs on AVG...look where TRich falls...you'll be amazed. In 5 of 9 games he started he had a rush AVG of less than 3.5, which pretty much means he wasn't of much help

And how many yards did we need again?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

NRTU Gopher.

Here's another judgment against Shurmur going for it on his own 28:

Quote:

web page

Asked why he made the call, Shurmur said, “I wanted to get the first down. I felt like we had a play that we liked and we didn’t execute it well. That’s why.”

Considering the field position and the time remaining, Shurmur gambled too soon. The incompletion ended the game even though there was still 3:50 to play.

Weeden wasn’t second-guessing, although his answer might have indicated otherwise.

“That’s not my decision. Whatever’s in my headset, that’s what I’m calling,” Weeden said.

Shurmur seemed to be reacting to criticism he took two weeks ago after a 17-13 loss against the Indianapolis Colts. With 6:38 remaining, Shurmur elected to punt on fourth-and-1 from the Colts 41, flip-flopping after a timeout.

In a postgame exchange, Shurmur didn’t agree that the fourth-and-2 call seemed out of character.

“What do you mean? It will be a fun thing for everyone to talk about this week, just like when we lost the game and I didn’t go for it,” he said. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, ‘My nature.’ I don’t know you that well, you probably don’t know me that well.”

When the Colts game was brought up, Shurmur said, “In both situations, the decision didn’t lead us to a victory did it? That’s why you talk about it. Had we converted it and we moved forward, then it would have been talked about on what a gutsy move it was, right?”

Had it worked, it wouldn’t have been seen in the same light as Sean Payton’s onside kick to start the second half in the New Orleans Saints’ Super Bowl XLIV victory over the Colts. With the Browns now 2-7, a victory over Baltimore would have been talked about more because of the Ravens’ woes than the Browns’ improvement.

In another breath, Shurmur said he believed the Browns were ready to play, even though they fell behind 14-0 and seemed to be sleep-walking through the first quarter.

But the fourth-and-2 decision might not have been what angered Shurmur’s players. Even more disconcerting was the amateurish operation on the sideline. The Browns couldn’t get play calls in and couldn’t get the proper personnel on the field. High school teams are run more efficiently.

There's more, but we get the idea.

As noted, these aren't going to be the last articles that blast Shurmur. Even his own players are starting to bail...

NFL coaches are good at teaching players to play the game of football, Xs and Os, usually pretty driven, good with people and often with friends/agent in the right places.

Newspaper columnists are good with words. One can argue just about any point of view by subtly/cleverly manipulating words. You are actually very good at doing it. That's a compliment, btw

Players are good at being very big, fast, strong/powerful, and athletic.

4th down situations really come down to game theory. Coaches have a certain intuition/feel for the game and in some situations it comes out to be near ideal but as it relates to 4th down conversions, coaches are too conservative. It really becomes more of a math and game theory problem than a football problem. If that's too nerdy for some people to stand, oh well.

Game situations can be quantified... for example, the theoretical neutral line in the NFL is somewhere between the 10 and 15 yard line. Meaning, in a game where neither time nor score is a major factor, having the ball 1st and 10 in that area on your side of the field means both teams are about equally likely to score. Similarly, the average starting field position after a kickoff comes out to be around the 27 yard line (might have to adjust to recent kickoff rule adjustments, but you get the point.) 1st and 10 from your own 27 yard line, a team has about +0.7 expected points.

Similarly, it's not that hard to quantify the game situations as it relates to the decision. I've done it a couple times in this thread. It is counterintuitive to most, but it's actually the right decision from a % to win standpoint by a comfortable margin.

Here is a situation where the math is actually close:

Opening drive of the game, 4th and 2...... from your own 28. Really.

Just about everyone who reads that will scoff at it, and you might not be able to find a coach actually going for it in that situation in NFL history. It sounds almost too unbelievable to be true, as an unsuccessful conversion puts the other team in scoring position already.

Of course, a 4th and 2 still converts at close to 60% of the time as a league average (in the Shurmur conversation, I adjusted that down to 50/50 to account for a bad Browns offense and also to give myself a bit of leeway just in case.)

So 60% of the time you effectively gain another possession; 40% of the time you sacrifice nearly 40 yards of field position (which again, as per above, can easily be quanitified and it comes out to something like, for that 40% of the time, a couple extra points for the opponent.)

Yeah most would say that's crazy, but it is what it is. That is an actual close decision though; the one we are arguing about really isn't. I think that being a former collegiate athlete myself, and also a former pro poker player, I have a pretty good grasp of these things. Meaning, I understand the ebb and flow of sports, and also used to work out much, much, much more difficult situations as it relates to game theory in poker.... but that's a different topic.

For those interested in reading much more structured and persuasive arguments than I have laid out, here's a good place to start:
http://www.advancednflstats.com/search/label/4th%20down?max-results=100

Even more specifically, here's a good 4 part series from the same site:
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-1.html

Just please don't take newspaper columnists and folks at ESPN at their word lol... we call them talking heads for a reason

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Umm, I am on record criticizing Shurmur for not rushing on at least 1 of those downs....

the TRich discussion was more of the "general" variety (2 different topics)...in game situations the defense expects a run on those 2nd and 3rd and 1s he failed to convert in multiple games now

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Setting aside the topic of discussion, that's interesting reading, so thanks for posting.

Granted, I'm not buying it as it applies to Shurmur, since I'm rather certain he's no more familiar with that information as I am.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks for some math

There's a reason +EV and -EV, implied odds etc is too difficult to figure out for the occasional player...same here

The poker "book" of 20 years ago is a loser or brake even player today, same will happen in the NFL...the book will be re-written by some "smart" Coach and half the league will copy it

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Setting aside the topic of discussion, that's interesting reading, so thanks for posting.

Granted, I'm not buying it as it applies to Shurmur, since I'm rather certain he's no more familiar with that information as I am.

No problem. If 100 people think I'm crazy but a couple people actually learn something... that's good enough for me.

I kind of got the feel that Shurmur was still in over his head and went for it out of spite. Whatever the reason though, it was a good decision IMO.

I don't really know why I get so passionate about it, but I really would like to see coaches..... errrr, the future Brown's head coach... be better and more aggressive in these situations. It's so damn frustrating because it's one aspect of the job that I know I could do better than most. And even if it's a very, very small component of the job, it's still an important one.

Some more decent reading, although I have only briefly skimmed over some of it:

http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/aggressiveness-index-2011

http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~dromer/papers/JPE_April06.pdf (TL, DR)

http://www.footballcommentary.com/blunders.htm
http://www.footballcommentary.com/nashequil.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3641375 (guest article written by the author of Moneyball)

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Thanks for some math

There's a reason +EV and -EV, implied odds etc is too difficult to figure out for the occasional player...same here

The poker "book" of 20 years ago is a loser or brake even player today, same will happen in the NFL...the book will be re-written by some "smart" Coach and half the league will copy it

Expected value in poker is very easy to figure out in some situations (all-in), very difficult in others (deep stacks, unsure of opponent's range, multiple cards to come)

Play good hands, raise and re-raise a lot in position, and bet your good (and many not so good) hands aggressively. A lot of the rest takes care of itself.

Legend
Legend
I kind of get going for it on 4th down there. Baltimore had just gone the length of the field effortlessly. Not to absolve Shurmur of wrongdoing in this game by any stretch. Not challenging the Boldin spot on third down the first drive was a costly mistake. The wheel route to ogbannaya was a great call, though. Had TD written all over it.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I was a bit confused it looked like Bolden was about 1-2 yds short of the first from what I saw and I was expecting a challenge but when it didn't happen I assumed that it was not a challengeable play. JUst when I think I understand the rules with challenges I find myself mistaken!

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Edit: Ooops thought this was Post-game thread.

On Shurmur.

I don't disagree with the 4th down call. I think it is the kind of thing where it was an acceptable risk. I think his punt against Indy was ridiculous though.

The third down and long draws absolutely slay me. Just ridiculously cowardly calls. You have a QB with a laser arm, call some friggen 15 yard outs already.

Shurmur, or somebody, needs to help Weeden shake off his problems. He was really rattled this game, around Eagles game levels. He was playing smart, but his timing, leaving the pocket, holding onto the ball, ball placement, and missing open receivers was far worse than we have seen in other weeks. I think he did a good job protecting the ball given how he was otherwise playing. Someone needed to stop what was happening.

I just think Shurmur is finished with this team. I don't have too much invested in debating the pros and cons of him. I want someone who I believe wants to score touchdowns as their first priority. I don't believe Shurmur understands how important points are.

Last edited by Kingcob; 11/05/12 02:39 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

In the 5 games where he got at least 15 carries, he has been held to less than a 4.2 ypc average just once and that was the very first game... in the other 4 he has 5.7, 4.8, 5.1 and 4.2.... Yet we continue to stop giving him the ball....

Quote:

I would also take a bet that TRich has the least amount of rushes (% wise !) gaining 3-5yds...people get so excited over his 10yarders that they forget the 2 and -1yd runs he sandwitched it in

The sample size is large enough...he's a 3.8yd/run RB right now, not even close to league AVG and dug deep in the bottom 3rd of starting RBs

We all get that Django... but what we are arguing here is why pass on 2nd and 3rd and short all the time instead of running the ball.. you have a valid point that Richardson is still learning the position and the value of getting a tough yard when that's what you need.. point taken.

But in arguing that, what you are also saying is that we have a better chance of picking up a couple yards throwing it with the #32 ranked QB in the NFL in completion %.... and the #1 WR corps in terms of drops...

Or am I misunderstanding something?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was a bit confused it looked like Bolden was about 1-2 yds short of the first from what I saw and I was expecting a challenge but when it didn't happen I assumed that it was not a challengeable play. JUst when I think I understand the rules with challenges I find myself mistaken!

It is a weird rule, but my understanding was that the spot is currently only challengeable if it results in a first down.

Legend
Legend
How many years did Childress call plays for the Eagles and Minnesota, if at all?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

In the 5 games where he got at least 15 carries, he has been held to less than a 4.2 ypc average just once and that was the very first game... in the other 4 he has 5.7, 4.8, 5.1 and 4.2.... Yet we continue to stop giving him the ball....

This sounds VERY familiar!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
This is the first time I will be calling for Shurmer to be fired. I am officially on that bandwagon. I was ok with the boneheaded stuff from last year because he was a rookie with little help. Now I'm just getting sick of it. What I saw from players after the game is that he is losing the team. They won't say it, but body language tells me the players are sick of Shurmer.

This summer, Coach Tressel spoke to our son's flag football team. One of his messages was to play fast. He would rather have a player make a mistake playing fast than to be hesitant trying to play right. He told a story where he had a young defense up against a better ranked team and he instructed his defensive coaches to pick one defensive set and stick with it the whole game so that they would know what they were supposed to do and play fast. I think Shurmer's offense has too many substitutions, words in the play calling, etc and the players don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

Time for a change.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
j/c

Fire him. Fire him now. I have never wanted to see someone be fired so bad.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

What I saw from players after the game is that he is losing the team. They won't say it, but body language tells me the players are sick of Shurmer.

I can't disagree with that. They may have been down just because of how they lost, but this is the first time that Weeden looked as though he had something he wanted to say, but wasn't going to say it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What I saw from players after the game is that he is losing the team. They won't say it, but body language tells me the players are sick of Shurmer.

I can't disagree with that. They may have been down just because of how they lost, but this is the first time that Weeden looked as though he had something he wanted to say, but wasn't going to say it.

Weeden answered 2 different questions with "No comment", or "I'm not going to comment on that". He has never done that before. You could tell that he was ticked off. We know that at least 3 plays got in really late. I bet that it wasn't only 3 times overall ...... or even close to just 3 times.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It's fine and dandy to be PO'd about that stuff, but Weeden was wise to hold his tongue. When you play as badly as he did Sunday, it's best to be seen and not heard (particularly when you're a rook). Smart kid.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Normally a team wants to get back on the field as soon as possible after a loss. Weeden made it clear that this team is ready for a bye week. I think it might be because he knows nobody is on the same page. This many games into the season and the team isn't on the same page. Bye Pat. I think Haslam has already made a mistake in not making the move Monday morning so the interim coach (Juron) can get working on something.

Legend
Legend
Grantland's Bill Barnwell

Thank You For Not Coaching.

Quote:

And finally, let's finish up with TYFNC Hall of Fame candidate Pat Shurmur, who probably deserves his own section at this point. Shurmur's Browns put in a credible performance against the Ravens on Sunday, losing 25-15 when they settled for five field goals from Phil Dawson.

For some reason, despite the fact that the organization just spent a top-five draft pick on a running back, Shurmur got incredibly pass-happy on short yardage on Sunday.

How happy?

The Browns faced third or fourth down with four or less yards to go nine different times on Sunday. Shurmur called a pass play each time. They produced four conversions and an interception.

There's nothing wrong with throwing the ball in short yardage if you think it's what your team does best, but doesn't it make sense to run the ball with your best player at least once or twice in those situations?

Maybe Shurmur thinks Dawson's the organization's best player and that he was putting the ball in that guy's hands.

Given how bad the Browns are these days, he might even be right.

LINK

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Or perhaps there is the possibility that Weeden is screwing the pooch on occasion and since none of us really knows what is being called or what his progressions should be we put the blame on the coach when some of it should be going the player's way?

Naw.....let's fire another coach. Cowher or Gruden will save us.....

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Are you serious?

You want to keep Shurmur? Why?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Back to the Shurmur conversation

Link Copied to Clipboard