Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

5. This team will begin quitting next week. Too many distractions, too much uncertainty, lame duck coach. I don't expect to win another game this season.

If we are going to rebuild yet again I am honestly OK with losing out.

I honestly don't understand how some of you fans put up with the frequent "rebuilding". Why get rid of talent that you currently have? Isn't the idea to build around the talent you have and maximize their potential/production? To start from scratch seems like a waste IMO.

I agree, but it isnt my decision if they rebuild. I doubt we will see a total rebuild. Probably just a new QB (even though I like Weeden).

N
Legend
Legend
N
yes, it's said that new management likes to put a new QB in place, but it's also true that new management is usually put in place because the current QB didn't do his job.

Colts didn't replace Peyton after Dungy
Tomlin didn't replace Big Ben

heck, Fisher just chose StL w/ Bradford over Miami w/ Tannehill/Weeden

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not saying they won't make a change. I'm saying they won't make a change just because "It's not my guy"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just clicking.

Fellow dawgs, can we just wait until something actually happens with the new regime before we go throwing poop all over the wall? I know it's hard because we've been waiting for 13 years, but what can we do at this point?

Thanks.

Admittedly, there are a few throwing poop on the pile, but to some of us (me included) the things he's saying make me uneasy. They do not inspire confidence and do not make me feel as if this was the correct path to go down.

Obviously, all we can do is wait and see. Nothing new there. we're used to it, I dare say we are the most experienced fan base in the wait and see thing (at least in recent times, New Orleans and maybe Tampa have more experience overall, Hell, if you go back far enough, Pittsburgh has probably the most of anyone)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Unfortunately, when you look at the vast majority of the "talent" we've jettisoned over the years, not much of it found jobs with other teams. That is kind of emblematic of the biggest challenge we've faced since we came back: front offices that had little or no clue how to build a consistently competitive team. We're still suffering the long-term effects of way too many misses with high draft picks and a lack of proper systems to develop players.

Hopefully, the vicious cycle of continued failure will end with new ownership.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Those who believe Banner was picked by Haslam to run the Browns "after Haslam did his due diligence"...that is simply not the truth.

Who said that, exactly? I don't recall one person saying that. I thought it was obvious Banner was Haslam's guy all along.

Quote:

All this talk from Haslam about doing his due diligence in selecting a Pres/CEO...SPIN

Not that he could have done his due diligence before he bought the team. Nah, couldn't happen.

Quote:

So now we have a rookie owner in Jimmy Haslam and a very good "bean counter" who has never been in charge of the football side of a franchise, in Joe Banner.

If you were to actually take the time to read Banner's quotes it looks like he's putting in the same system he had when he hired Andy Reid.

I'm more afraid of the rookie owner making football decisions on draft day than I am of Banner.

I'm also not the least bit concerned about former Eagles players griping who didn't get contract extensions when they were nearing the end of their days. It's been a long-established fact that the Eagles were an outstanding franchise because they didn't over-pay aging veteran players. That philosophy is never popular with players OR fans, but the NFL isn't a popularity contest.

Here's what people need to really evaluate if they are going to examine Banner and Reid with fair and non-biased eyes: What's going on in Philly after Reid won his battle to take all the power for himself? This started last year when Banner was losing, and it's continued this year with Reid having the whole enchilada.

So where are the Eagles right now? Reid got what he wanted...and the Eagles are about to miss the playoffs again, and he's going to get fired.

Maybe Banner had it right all along.

If we're going to take Banner at his word in that interview, he was the guy that put the organization together, an organization that had been one of the tops in the NFL for the last decade. He'd be insane to lie like that in a national interview.

I'm willing to see how this plays out because his resume is top-notch.

It's not Banner that concerns me. It's Haslam, who wouldn't have brought Banner in if he didn't 100% push the the structure of things. I don't particularly like allowing the coach to spearhead the personnel moves, but I'll take a wait-and-see on that.

However, at least Haslam is not Randy Lerner. For that I'm grateful.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
j/c... I actually liked Banner's comments. Especially the thing about not just hiring your buddies and not just brainging all your assistants with you, but wanting the best candidate everywhere.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I'm not saying they won't make a change. I'm saying they won't make a change just because "It's not my guy"

yes, and I was supporting that viewpoint

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was supporting your support

Legend
Legend
when you think about it, haslam has said he's wanted to be a team owner (that is full owner) for a long time. So I actually have little doubt that he's had plenty of time to do what he needed to do to find the exec he wanted.

Given that he's spent the last several years as the minority owner of the Steelers, I would suspect he's had plenty of time to have met other owners, GM's, CEO's and Coaches...

So he's really not coming into this thing totally unprepared.

My personal feelings are that I'm just not sure, based on what Banner is saying, that he's the right guy. He does not inspire confidence.

That being said, there isn't a darn thing we can do about it., just gotta see how it goes and hope Haslam is as smart as people say he is.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Q: Who will have final say on the 53-man roster?

A: We'll determine that officially when we see who's in those roles. My bias is for the coach to make those decisions. Now, we may end up with somebody in personnel who's so good that I tweak that, but going in, my bias is that the coach will have the most say on the 53-man roster and the 45 who dress for games.

So Heckert's gone for sure...never ever let a HC make decisions on the future of a franchise and the last 5-6 spots on a roster are just that...he will always opt for the short term vet over potential....see Mangini, Eric

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read this as saying that the coach would decide who plays on gameday. I'm probably wrong though, the more that I look at it.

He also says that there is a possibility for change in his philosophy.

Legend
Legend
One thing I know for sure: Haslam and Banner are totally enamored with Trent Richardson. There has hardly been an interview when there isn't a mention or a reference to Trent.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Here's what people need to really evaluate if they are going to examine Banner and Reid with fair and non-biased eyes: What's going on in Philly after Reid won his battle to take all the power for himself? This started last year when Banner was losing, and it's continued this year with Reid having the whole enchilada.

So where are the Eagles right now? Reid got what he wanted...and the Eagles are about to miss the playoffs again, and he's going to get fired.

Bingo

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Bingo

Ehhh, not so bingo

Toad rethoric again at work suggesting that the demise began since Banner was removed from whatever he did there, starting in 2010...fact though is that he was there in 2010 and was a big reason for the DeSean contract dispute...if anything it can be said that he was part of the reason 2010 was a mess, so it's not as Toad's suggesting that his hands are completely clean

As for this season...they aren't as good as they thought, but missing 4 starting OL doesn't help and they are starting a S that we would have cut and gave them for a 7th rounder (Sims)...and fwiw, DeSean is much better again, so they aren't losing because Reid gave him too much money...

Too easy to say the Eagles suck since Banner's gone and he was the good apple and Reid the bad one...the demise already started when he was there. Of course Toad never directly said so

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

if anything it can be said that he was part of the reason 2010 was a mess

I'll take a messy 10-6 season any day. I think you are speaking of the 2011 season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

if anything it can be said that he was part of the reason 2010 was a mess

I'll take a messy 10-6 season any day. I think you are speaking of the 2011 season.

My bad, yes Banner's last season in Philly

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sounds like he has already made his decision on Heckert saying he wanted his coach to have control over the roster and he knew that is why Heckert left Phily. So long Tom, I thought you did a wonderful job in rebuilding a talentless roster.

O well, I am pretty much done with football anyway.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Well, the biggest reason for Philly's mess is Michael Vick, and that's all on Andy Reid.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Pretty much the way I feel....I'll give whoever is here a shot in the draft and offseason and probably watch less and less from there as I won't hold my breath on the decisions/picks with J&J being 50% of the draft room and "everybody" reporting to them....can't wait for those crappy late rounders from Banner based on some tape the scouts gave him without having it compared to 300 other late round candidates or the gut feeling picks from Haslam on top 100 picks...after all, as Banner said, sometimes the best decisions are made from guys who don't know football, lol (YES, he pretty much said that, read it !)

The worst part of this mess though is the timing...the freaking moron that is Lerner screwed us one more time with the timing of the sell...couldn't he have done it AFTER the season?

Screw you moron, I'm so angry at him for this alone....I love watching this young team but even that has become boring because we already know the ending and every development whatsoever will be for naught

This is really unreal...we're about to fire the best GM we've had since the rebirth and a well above league AVG one at that....insane

Sometimes I think this team is run by idiots and we don't deserve a winner because of repeated stupidity at the top of the org....looks like it will continue. Rat face CEO and Hee Haw owner have a new toy and we're their dancing bears

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sounds like he has already made his decision on Heckert saying he wanted his coach to have control over the roster and he knew that is why Heckert left Phily. So long Tom, I thought you did a wonderful job in rebuilding a talentless roster.

O well, I am pretty much done with football anyway.

Well, I love the game to much to walk away. but besides that, I think you are right about Heckert..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A: We'll determine that officially when we see who's in those roles. My bias is for the coach to make those decisions. Now, we may end up with somebody in personnel who's so good that I tweak that, but going in, my bias is that the coach will have the most say on the 53-man roster and the 45 who dress for games.

TH could be out..or maybe he accepts a lesser role ..NOT!
Banner wants to bring in someone who is really behind the scenes and the HC really is running the show.
Now reading what Banner said about BW is correct.U have to keep the door open and look at it when they are ready to make a run (not a 5 year plan huh??!)is he going to be the guy?

And I'm sure when they look at the college QB's they're going to ask that same question..are they championship caliber QB's?

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 11/09/12 04:15 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This is really unreal...we're about to fire the best GM we've had since the rebirth and a well above league AVG one at that....insane

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that (and rightly so in all honesty) that Banner believes winning big comes from great coaches and great quarterbacks. His quote is very telling:

Quote:

You can't win big without a great coach and a great quarterback," he said. "And frankly, if you have a great enough coach and quarterback, you can afford to make a few more personnel mistakes. You've got to lock them in."

The way I read it, he'd rather Heckert have found a franchise QB (Haslam/Banner don't seem too confident in Weeden) and long-time head coach over 3 years than all of the upgrades he made at positions of less importance.

Look at the Sporting News Executive of the Year list over the past decade... they can all claim a stellar pairing and most had a hand in bringing them in.

2003: Scott Pioli (Belichick, Brady)
2004: Scott Pioli (Belichick, Brady)
2005: Art Rooney (Cowher, Roethlisberger)
2006: Mickey Loomis (Payton, Brees)
2007: Ted Thompson (McCarthy, Rodgers)
2008: Thomas Dimitroff (Smith, Ryan)
2009: Bill Polian (Dungy, Manning)
2010: Thomas Dimitroff (Smith, Ryan)
2011: Ted Thompson (McCarthy, Rodgers)
2012: Ryan Grigson? (Pagano, Luck)

Meanwhile, Heckert's fate is tied to Holmgren. Their head coach hire was Shurmur who is pretty clearly in over his head. The list of QBs they've brought in over 3 years: Jake Delhomme, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Thaddeus Lewis, Brandon Weeden. Even if Heckert wasn't the decision maker in all of these (and he pretty clearly wasn't), he's guilty by association.

The talent level may be better but in the areas that matter most for success to Banner, Haslam and the NFL in general (QB and HC), he's failed pretty miserably with multiple years and big-time assets to execute a fix. Losing RGIII was the icing on the cake. I won't be thrilled if Heckert is dumped without the chance to work without The Meddler forcing his hand but I can at least understand it on some level... he gave us a ton of complimentary pieces to a championship caliber machine but not the engine.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorta reminds me when the movie fast and furious came out....every teen with a honda put rims, body kits, decals, spoilers, window tint and thought they was the next Vin Diesel. Hardly any did any motor work.

Lets be honest we dont know if these QBs where pushed on him or not, I am sure he will have a chance to plead his case at the end of the season. I would like to keep him if possible. I do believe he has a good game plan and has stuck with what he wants to build. Its just unfortunate that we are bailing out half way through the rebuild. And that Un-Shurmer was hand picked by Holmgren, he is clearly in over his head.

I think based on talent alone Heckert has done enoguh to prove he wasnt part of the problem, hope The Penguin can see it that way.

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Too easy to say the Eagles suck since Banner's gone and he was the good apple and Reid the bad one...the demise already started when he was there. Of course Toad never directly said so

This whole argument is borderline insane. Reid has been with the Eagles for what, 13 full seasons? 11 of them at .500 or better, 8 of them double digit wins... Andy Reid deserves considerable praise for that as do the people who helped him build (and rebuild) the roster.... the fact that he's had a down year or two is not an indictment that anybody is a grand failure or the one person is more responsible than another...

If Tom Brady retired at the end of the season and the Patriots had a couple 5 win seasons is that proof that Belichick is overrated or proof that the Patriots front office is horrible? No, it's proof that these things go in cycles and that NOBODY sustains double digit win seasons every year.... sometimes you take a step back to move forward... unless you are the Browns, you take a step back, move laterally, then take another step back.. cha cha cha...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If, and that is still a big if, Heckert goes they will be doing the franchise a huge disservice. He is light years ahead of where anyone coming in will be, and needs only about a handful of players to round out the starting roster to make the team truly competitive for the first time in almost two decades. And if he gets canned, it'll be largely because Shurmur boned him by not winning the winnable games, and by extension, Holmgren for hiring the useless tool to begin with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sorta reminds me when the movie fast and furious came out....every teen with a honda put rims, body kits, decals, spoilers, window tint and thought they was the next Vin Diesel. Hardly any did any motor work.

I disagree.

I think the work Heckert did here equates to finding a junker on the side of the read, replacing all the rusty parts with new ones, and we just put in the new motor.

Now maybe it's not the right motor. Or maybe our driver sucks (Shurmur) but we really didn't even get a test drive.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think he's a clueless idiot. But you got the other two correct, IMO.

At this point I really don't care if Shurmur goes or not. Mainly because, no matter what Banner says, I think he's already gone uinless by some miracle he wins out

But Heckert leaving bothers me and I'm pretty sure he's gone, too. Banner strikes me as a guy that cannot wait to start putting his mark on the team. Make no mistake, that means just about everyone short of the janitor will be gone by the end of the Super Bowl.

Get ready for reboot 6.0

I still think he is a clueless idiot but that's whast I like about you bro. We can disagree 100 percent and neither one of us takes it to heart From what I hear Shurmur is toast ( I know I know you don't believe people who post crap on the board lol) But Heckert is still up in the air, and I can only pray thqa they keep him because the guy really knows his stuff

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Tom Heckert (IMO) can get a GM job easily after this season.

We may be 2-7, But I think generaly the NFL can see what he's done here as it relates to aquiring talent.

The question is not weather or not Banner and Haslam want to keep him, it's, if you are Tom Heckert, do you WANT to be here going forward?

He left Philly to get what he has now, and now it's gone, WHY stay?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

From what I hear Shurmur is toast ( I know I know you don't believe people who post crap on the board lol

Let's just say I cast a wary eye on any post that tells me the person has inside info. Not saying you don't have some inside scoop. Just saying I always take it with a grain of salt.

The reason I think Heckert is gone (for all intents and purposes) is that the reason he came here was to have some significant (if not total) control of the roster. With Joe (I'm smarter than you, just ask me) Banner in charge only JB will have roster control. They'll come to an "agreement" and Heckert will leave. Banner will then hire some young guy he can control or he'll assume GM duties himself (the latter would be my best guess as to what will happen).

Banner will then hire a young "up and coming" (read that as controllable) Head Coach. Now this part may work if he gets the right guy but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope I'm totally wrong about this. But I don't think I am. And if this does happen this way I'm afraid the Browns will have seen the last of my ticket money.

Winning will cure a lot of ills. I just have my doubts if this path will lead to any significant winning. Time will tell. But I don't have as much time as I used to....

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
I think your right but I hope your wrong.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Weird, he specifically said he wants the coach to be in charge of the 53.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's been with Reid for quite some time. Kinda makes sense,

It has also been said (radio interview with a pundit on another thread) that he wants a young coach who can grow over the years, instead of an experienced, older coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

He's been with Reid for quite some time. Kinda makes sense,

It has also been said (radio interview with a pundit on another thread) that he wants a young coach who can grow over the years, instead of an experienced, older coach.

I wonder how many different ways that quote is going to be spun, analyzed, and torn apart.

So he wants to go old-school with the HC having the final say over the roster by taking the lead on personnel. That hasn't worked out well for us with Mangini and Butch. It can be argued that they were the wrong coaches for the job (which they were) and that the right coaches would make the right decisions.

I am glad that Banner represents a side of the checks-and-balances where he won't allow the coach to hand out money and negotiate contracts.

To me, there are some good things happening here and some bad. I'm probably less enthusiastic about Haslam than I was a month ago. The majority clamored for an owner who is going to be more active with the team. Well, they'll get their wish as he's going to have a voice on draft-day. I'm not keen on that as I don't see any football experience on his resume. Banner? Different story. Looks like he had a much bigger role in things other than just "bean counting" in Philly.

That should make certain people more comfortable, as that dispels the idea that all he did was handle finances.

As long as he's not making the final calls and picking the players, I'm good with what he's going to do here. The way he's setting this up, EVERYTHING is going to ride on who is selected as the Head Coach.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Browns CEO Joe Banner discusses his vision for franchise and stadium

By NATE ULRICH
Akron Beacon Journal

BEREA, Ohio -- New Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner concedes changes are inevitable as he and owner Jimmy Haslam seek ways to put their stamp on the organization.

But Banner is still in the phase of figuring out what needs to be altered and how drastic those modifications will be.

"There is a huge challenge here," Banner said. "I consider that kind of good news because that's what I thrive on."

With the Browns in the midst of their bye week, Banner addressed several issues facing the franchise Thursday in an hourlong interview with the Akron Beacon Journal. Potential changes were at the forefront of the discussion.

Coach and general manager

Banner said he and Haslam are standing by their plan to wait until the end of this season to decide the fate of coach Pat Shurmur and General Manager Tom Heckert. There's a widespread belief that Shurmur and Heckert will be gone at the end of this season.

"I'm aware of the perception, and it's not fair," said Banner, who began working at the Browns' headquarters on Oct. 31, six days later than originally planned because of the death of his father. "We're going to make an objective evaluation. The outcome is not predetermined. I'm aware that the perception is out there. I can't tell you that's not a possible outcome. But anybody thinking that that's a predetermined outcome is on the wrong track."

Earlier this week, Shurmur expressed hope that the new regime would look at the big picture instead of focusing solely on wins and losses.

"You want to build a team that's a consistent winner, and sometimes building is painful," Shurmur said. "Trust me on that. It just is. Now how everybody looks at it and how we paint that into the picture of the hard numbers, that's for somebody else to decide."

The Browns have a record of 2-7 and won't play again until they visit the Dallas Cowboys (3-5) on Nov. 18. Still, Banner indicated the team's record at the end of this season wouldn't be the only factor in determining the futures of the coaching staff and front office.

"We're not stuck on exactly how many games we win between now and then," said Banner, who spent 19 years with the Philadelphia Eagles, including 12 as their president. "We're wanting to see the qualities and the decision making at any level of the organization that we think says that person or that group two years from now, as we implement our systems, our culture, can function at a championship-caliber level."

When evaluating coaches, Banner asks himself, "How do they lead? How do they think? How do they strategize? What kinds of players do they like? Do players grow under them? What's the quality of their staff?"

Banner said general managers must excel at player evaluation, possess many of the same qualities he seeks in coaches and stick to their philosophies.

"Sometimes they get accused of being stubborn," Banner said. "But I actually welcome people that have thought it through and have strong convictions about what they do."

During his tenure with the Eagles, Banner worked with Shurmur and Heckert for 10 and nine years, respectively. He said they're not a package deal, meaning one could be retained and the other let go.

Heckert left the Eagles to join the Browns in 2010 because he wanted final say on roster decisions. Banner admitted he was fine with the move but rejected the notion that he did not have a good relationship with Heckert.

"There was nothing negative in either my or Tom's departure from the Eagles," Banner said. "It was more a reflection of our desires and the organization being well structured and having a lot of levels of quality people that left it OK for that kind of move. So in that sense, I was OK with it because it was what Tom wanted and we were in good shape in terms of replacing him. But I've always had a very good relationship with Tom, and we like each other. That hasn't been different and isn't different here."

Banner, 59, said he believes the Browns have made good moves and are on the right track.

"I've seen people take over a franchise in which you looked at the roster and you're like, 'Oh, my God. There's nothing here to build on,"' Banner said. "This is not the case here. Exactly how many of those players we can build on, exactly how good some of the younger players are going to be, some of that we have to project, some of that time will tell. There's clearly a foundation of players that you can start to add to and move forward from as opposed to needing to get to begin with."

Banner was asked about Jason La Canfora of CBS reporting that the NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, who worked for Banner in Philadelphia, is viewed as a candidate to help oversee personnel for the Browns.

"Well, since I haven't even decided whether the people that are here are staying or going, I think speculation that I'm actually deciding or have decided who I'd bring in if we made a change is not right," Banner said. "And then getting into comments about who we would be looking at if we made a change when we haven't made a decision whether to make a change is not anything I'd engage in."

Football decisions

Banner will be one of four or five people who are involved in making decisions about the team and its roster. And he'll implement his philosophies on that decision-making process.

"You increase the chances of getting a higher percentage of the decisions right by having that quality of intelligence, that number of people and an open dialogue and debate to come to a conclusion," Banner said. "You want to create consensus … because then you have everybody pulling in the same direction."

He prefers the coach to have the ultimate authority on roster decisions. Eagles coach Andy Reid wields such power.

"When you get to the 53-man roster, who's dressing each week, who's playing, you certainly want to give the coach an awful lot of freedom," he said. "Whatever he may contractually have, I think when you get down to that level, I think you really want to have the coach either deciding or having an overwhelming influence over it. But if you had somebody in personnel that was particularly strong and a coach was comfortable with that, you don't have to etch that in stone."

Stadium

On Sunday, Banner attended a game in Cleveland for the first time since he began working as Haslam's right-hand man. Banner said he and Haslam have had a few conversations with architects about their ideas for stadium enhancements, but they have yet to hold any meetings.

Banner doesn't favor the idea of adding a retractable roof to the stadium, but he said the scoreboards and sound systems would be changed eventually. He gushed over scoreboards with high-definition screens.

"I'm kind of inherently, personally, an old-fashioned, play-the-game-outdoors-and-deal-with-it person," Banner said. "But there may be some rationale, so we're going to have a full menu and, frankly, look at the thing from scratch on all aspects. Now clearly in the area of technology as it relates to scoreboards and sound systems, things have advanced so far from when these systems came from. I don't want to prejudge anything, but it's inconceivable we won't be making some very dramatic changes there."

Banner also said the stadium would be equipped with wireless Internet in the near future.

"We'll have Wi-Fi in the building," he said. "Now will we have it by next year, meaning 2013? I hope so. It depends upon how it fits into the more comprehensive changes."

Banner was instrumental in striking deals for the Eagles' new stadium and practice facility. He said he prefers the set-up of the Browns' training facility to that of the lakefront stadium.

"The stadium has more variation from if you were starting from scratch what you'd like to see than what you have, and trying to figure out what to do about that will be one of our big challenges and, frankly, from a long-term perspective, is one of the most important issues the organization has to deal with," Banner said. "You want from a player, from a fan, from a business, from a community-relations perspective, to have a stadium that gives us the opportunity to do everything the best it can be and to do so going forward, not just in the moment. We'll have to figure that out."

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Browns new CEO Joe Banner, in a wide-ranging interview with The Plain Dealer on Thursday, acknowledged that he and new owner Jimmy Haslam must decide by the end of the season if Brandon Weeden is their quarterback of the future.

Well, at least that decision is in the proper hands.

This whole thing is making me sicker than simply the idea of yet another rebuild. Now it's looking like a rebuild commanded by a couple of large egos one of which feels he has something to prove (Banner) and the other (Haslem) dreaming of becoming a "football guy" in the ilk of a Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder.

Now we'll have 4 or 5 guys in the Draft Room. Haslem and Banner, neither of which are talent evaluators; the GM, who has no authority over the 53 man roster; and the Head Coach who does although some decisions will go through Banner. Who's the 5th guy, a janitor?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hopefully not in that order. Be kind to the clueless guy.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now we'll have 4 or 5 guys in the Draft Room. Haslem and Banner, neither of which are talent evaluators; the GM, who has no authority over the 53 man roster; and the Head Coach who does although some decisions will go through Banner. Who's the 5th guy, a janitor?

I am sure it will be the marketing guy, gotta decide which guy you draft is going to sell the most tickets.

Legend
Legend
Maybe one of the geniuses from this board?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Maybe one of the geniuses from this board?

I see you noticed my errie silence lol.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Who said that, exactly? I don't recall one person saying that. I thought it was obvious Banner was Haslam's guy all along.

It was Haslam himself who made the comment about doing his due diligence, in the presser to introduce Banner.

Quote:

Not that he could have done his due diligence before he bought the team. Nah, couldn't happen.

If you believe Haslam was actively looking to buy a team after the 2011 season...he might have done due diligence.

IMO, the deal to sell the Browns in July was not something Lerner planned to do, but it just came together in July and the price was right, for Lerner.

The facts are, Banner announced in his June interviews, he wanted to part on an investment group that would allow him to run the team.

Now you can pretend and make stuff up to try to support Haslam's claim, that he did his due diligence, but Banner clearly announced his intension to secure a Pres/CEO type job as a member of an investment group.

...in other words, Banner was part of the deal.

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we have a rookie owner in Jimmy Haslam and a very good "bean counter" who has never been in charge of the football side of a franchise, in Joe Banner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were to actually take the time to read Banner's quotes it looks like he's putting in the same system he had when he hired Andy Reid.

With one "very importantô difference...Banner will now have control over the football side of the operation...something he never had in Philly.

Banner fought with Andy Reid for that power and lost the power struggle...now he has been given power of the football side of a team, for the "first time".

Just because Banner was a good "bean counter", doesn't mean he will be a good football guy.

My opinion of Banner...he is hungry for power and attention...loves to give interviews and see his name in print...for Banner, it's all about "me, me, me".

Banner has a reputation and it is not a good one...power struggle with the HC...using contract negotiation to try to subvert Reid's power over the 53 man roster, using contract negotiations, low balling players he did not want on the roster.

I seriously doubt that top coaches will want to come to Cleveland, knowing they have to report to Banner...no way is a Cowher or Gruden going to work under Banner.

Facts...Haslam is a rookie owner...Banner is in charge of the football side of a franchise for the first time, thus a rookie Pres/CEO of football side of operations.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Banner says wins, losses won't decide who stays and goes

Link Copied to Clipboard