Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,061
Legend
Online
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,061
Quote:

Quote:

I worked for a McDonalds' franchisee here in Youngstown years ago.

They offered one insurance plan for their managers and shift managers ...... and another, different plan for their employees.





Off on a tangent....Wouldn't it be ironic if McD's banned its employees from smoking like the casino thread?




They would have one helluva time finding employees for most stores. Many stores have employees who are from inner city type areas, even if the store itself is not.A disproportionate number of those young adults smoke.

Sad but true.

Man, I couldn't even afford to smoke anymore, even if I wanted to. lol It doesn't matter though, because when I quit, I quit forever.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

Quote:

I worked for a McDonalds' franchisee here in Youngstown years ago.

They offered one insurance plan for their managers and shift managers ...... and another, different plan for their employees.





Off on a tangent....Wouldn't it be ironic if McD's banned its employees from smoking like the casino thread?





Big difference between an existing company making a rule change like that, and a new company making hiring choices. The thing people seem to misunderstand about the Casino is they had a no smoking mandate from the day they opened. They didn't suddenly tell currently employees they couldn't smake anymore. They either accepted the job or not based on their willingness to forego the smoking habit.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,405
I
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,405
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I worked for a McDonalds' franchisee here in Youngstown years ago.

They offered one insurance plan for their managers and shift managers ...... and another, different plan for their employees.





Off on a tangent....Wouldn't it be ironic if McD's banned its employees from smoking like the casino thread?





Big difference between an existing company making a rule change like that, and a new company making hiring choices. The thing people seem to misunderstand about the Casino is they had a no smoking mandate from the day they opened. They didn't suddenly tell currently employees they couldn't smake anymore. They either accepted the job or not based on their willingness to forego the smoking habit.




Understood, but they could still do it. Cleveland Clinic did it as I recall. My point in the irony would be how unhealthy MCDs fast food is but ban smoking for its employees. Won't happen, but the thought of it is kinda funny.


"My signature line goes here."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
As long as unemployment is high, this will continue to happen to the low end jobs (which could be equivalently filled by a large number of employees). For those jobs, health care is a larger percentage of the total cost to the employer, and swapping out one employee who smokes for one who doesn't is a small cost. Even if the employer doesn't provide health insurance, this is reasonable since it cuts down on breaks, doesn't annoy other employees/customers etc.

When unemployment goes down, this trend will slow, because a higher percentage of low end employees need to be hired.

You will never see this happen at high end jobs, because the value of different employees is much greater, and health care costs are a much smaller portion of the employee's total compensation.

I don't think this has much to do with Obamacare, it's just capitalism and market forces at work.

I think a very early place to see this kind of behavior is McDonalds.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 11/29/12 03:04 PM.

"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Papa John's CEO John Schnatter: Obamacare likely to raise costs, employee's

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5