Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
~TuX~ Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16/walmart-walkout-workers-mount-black-friday-job-action/

Walmart employees began walking off the job this week in advance of Black Friday, when three-union backed groups expect thousands of protests nationwide.
In October, a strike at a Walmart in Los Angeles spread to stores in 12 other cities, with local and national leaders holding protests at more than 200 stores for better pay, fairer schedules and more affordable health care. Since that time, workers have since walked off the job in Dallas and Richmond, Calif., and other upcoming strikes and protests are expected at stores in Chicago, Miami, Milwaukee and Washington, D.C.
Charlene Fletcher, who works with her husband William at a Walmart in Duarte, Calif., became enraged when she learned that both were scheduled to work on Thanksgiving, missing the holiday with their children, ages 2 and 5.
“It’s heartbreaking to miss the holiday with them, and it’s just one more way that Walmart is showing its disregard for our families,” Fletcher said in a statement. “But when our co-workers speak out about problems like these, Walmart turns their schedules upside down, cuts their hours and even fires people. We’re going on strike for an end to Walmart’s attempts to silence its workers.”
Three groups — Making Change at Walmart, OUR Walmart and watchdog group Corporate Action Network — are now calling on the nation’s largest employer to end what they claim are retaliatory tactics against employees who seek out better working conditions.
In a statement to FoxNews.com, Walmart spokesman Dan Fogleman characterized the movement as "another exaggerated publicity campaign aimed at generating headlines to mislead" customers and employees.
"We have a great group of associates at Walmart," the statement read. "We’ll have more than one million associates working throughout the holiday weekend and they’re excited about our Black Friday plans this year. This is the Super Bowl for retailers and we’re ready.
"We’ve been working on our Black Friday plans for almost a year now and we’re prepared to have a great event. Our associates care about providing a great customer experience on Black Friday and we’re confident that’s what customers will have at Walmart this year."
Protests were held Thursday at Walmart stores in Eastvale and in Mira Loma, where six people were arrested for blocking traffic, KTLA reports.
Many customers, however, told KTLA they weren’t so convinced by the workers’ plans.
"If you come into a workplace knowing that's an agreement you might have to make, then that's your choice to have that job," shopper Rae Luce told the station.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Anyone that walks off a job should have been considered to have quit their jobs. If they try to come back to work after walking away, they should be refused entry into the store. Wal-Mart managers should be keeping track of who is supposed to be working and either walk out and have their assistant managers calling those 'former employees' where they want their final paychecks mailed to.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good for them.

Its about time they unite and stand up for themselves

King

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to take these jobs, the unwilling ingrates should be shown the door. Maybe Walmart should hire illegals, at least they're actually willing to work, not just stand their with their hands out.

I suppose we could get used to saying "hola" to the greeters.

#GMSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
But for management, a job at Wally World is barely livable. What class mobility is there when your work is strictly part-time, randomly scheduled, and at minimum wage?

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You mean illegals wont be able to stand up for themselves

Its always easier to step on the helpless

King

Legend
Legend
I was exaggerating the point. Walmart can't hire illegals.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
They will be considered to have voluntarily quit depending on state laws, and company policy. (unless they use the approved call off system) If they used the approved system, the only acceptable reasons to call off are illness, and a few others. I'm sure that they would be in violation of the employee rules if they called off to picket outside their stores.

They also lose benefits (extra discounts, Sunday pay, etc) if they called off on a holiday.

(Full disclosure) My Mom works for WalMart .... and yes, she has to work Thanksgiving.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I was exaggerating the point. Walmart can't hire illegals.

well they can, but they got caught

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've worked a lot of retail jobs.

During every interview for those retail jobs, I've been asked, "Are you available to works nights, weekends, and holidays?"

If these people weren't, they should have said so. They knew from Day 1 that they were going to be asked to work these days and hours.

Yeah, it sucks, but you know what? There's millions of people out there working the same shift you are. Deal with it and go to work like everyone else.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it goes a bit deepet than that

King

Legend
Legend
The article says that they are protesting over " better pay, fairer schedules and more affordable health care".

Well, no one is going to see pay increases with the cost of Obamacare hanging over employers' heads. WalMart pays pretty well. Should a greeter, or a cashier, make $20/hour? I don't think so. My Mom makes over $11/hour as a greeter. Good luck finding that kind of wage in most retail jobs. Better pay is BS. WalMart pays well, and they start above minimum wages in many cases.

Fairer schedules? Each employee has to submit when they are available to be scheduled. They can have 1 day per week off with absolute certainty. (My mom takes Wednesdays, and she cannot be scheduled on a Wednesday no matter what happens) As far as I know, WalMart isn't scheduling people for split shifts, or things like that. They are cutting back to a workforce composed mainly of part time, 28 hours/week or less employees so they don't have to pay the Obamacare tax. This was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

What is "more affordable healthcare", and why would they need to protest for it? The government is going to mandate exactly what each person must have, and what each employer must provide. There is zero flexibility for employers to make adjustments to the mandate to lower costs to employees. The costs will be what the government mandates.

People are whiny anymore. Man, I used to work almost every Thanksgiving. I used to work almost every New Years Day morning. (No biggie though, since I stay home on Amateur Night on New years Eve anyway) I can see the married couple having an issue with not being able to see their kids, but WalMart provides vacation and personal days even for part time employees. If it was that important, they could have used one to take the day off, or even could have set their permanent day off for Thursday so they could not even be scheduled on Thursdays.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

J
Legend
Legend
J
There will be a number of people in line to happily take their jobs. Anyone working retail, as well as a number of different jobs, know they have to work odd hours, weekends and holidays.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Charlene Fletcher, who works with her husband William at a Walmart in Duarte, Calif., became enraged when she learned that both were scheduled to work on Thanksgiving, missing the holiday with their children, ages 2 and 5.
“It’s heartbreaking to miss the holiday with them... "

The alternative is to enjoy it with them...under a bridge or in a cardboard box.

You don't wanna work? You don't have to. Find a different job. You can't find a different job? Then you've chosen to risk losing your paycheck and the ability to feed your kids.

Working is not a right. When you sign the application saying you are willing to work any shift then walk-out when scheduled, that makes you a liar.

Rule #1 of the Universe: Life isn't fair.

I'm sorry they don't get to spend Thanksgiving with their kids, but that was never a right.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
j/c

I work as an RN in a hospital that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is accepted that yes, we will work weekends and holidays(12 hour shifts). But we rotate weekends and holidays, and we always get the day off before and/or after a holiday. I agree with most posters on here, someone is always in line to work if you don't want to, so make your schedule work for you. Our family celebrates the holidays according to my schedule. It's simple to do, and the kids understand.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm sorry they don't get to spend Thanksgiving with their kids, but that was never a right.

But luckily this is America and it's still a choice.

I hope for their kids sake, they choose wisely.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Ive worked holidays before. It sucks, but you do what you have to do... With Unemployment what it is, and the economy they way it is, I wouldnt be walking off of anything. I bet nothing substantial comes of this.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yeah, I'm guessing across the country there may be less than 200 that walk off.

When I worked retail, we were told the only way to get Black Friday off, without losing our jobs, was to either be dead, in Jair or in the hospital. No other excuses. I used to just ask to work that night, so I wouldn't have to rush back after Thanksgiving dinner (living in Columbus at the time and all my family is near Akron)

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My niece just took a job at a nursing home, and she was told that she would have to work the holidays until such time as she had enough seniority to allow her not to. That should be somewhere in the 5-8 year range. lol

Legend
Legend
Is she planning on throwing a hissy-fit and threaten to picket them?

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

If they don't show up, fire them. Pretty simple.

I'm self employed. I work most holidays, and holiday weekends. Know what? I do it with a smile on my face. It doesn't affect my family, as they know I work most holidays. We celebrate before or after. That's just how it is for us.

Legend
Legend
So does this mean I'm going to have to stand in line longer at Target?

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry, but I don't understand the "newer" tradition of retailers being open Thanksgiving Day. Bars, however, I understand.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If they want to do some kind of Black Friday sale, you should open at 12AM Thanksgiving night. Anything earlier than that is not really needed. Only places that should be open are fast food places, hospitals, police, and possibly a few other places. I say let people enjoy the holiday with their family. For places such as Walmart there is no need to be open earlier except wanting to make an extra buck. Are the employees getting paid holiday pay?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to take these jobs, the unwilling ingrates should be shown the door.

You may be right. I'm sure Wal Mart will be able to find people willing to work for 8-11 bucks an hour. But we have to ask ourselves this question: at this rate, how seriously will people take their jobs? The answer is simple: not seriously at all.

Wal Mart does not care about the experience that customers have inside their stores. Wal Mart does not care about where the stuff in their stores is manufactured.

All Wal Mart cares about is making money hand over fist and giving it to the select few at the top.

If wal mart cared about customers, you would walk into a store and there would be an employee in every department. Yet, we all know what it's like inside of wal mart. - Dirty, unkept, unorganized, and hard to find help. -Wal Mart does not care.

If wal mart cared about employees, then they would be taking measures to properly train, hire, and pay for a quality workforce. Nothing major, I don't think 15.00 -20.00 per each employee is out of the question. By paying people this amount, I guarantee you employees would have a little more pride in themselves and in their work.

Instead, wal mart chooses to be a revolving door for people. "work here for scant wages and quit whenever you want, we'll simply find somebody else to take your place, and then somebody to take their place."

Perhaps the funniest thing here is that there are Republicans who side with wal mart. - What do you folks think about wal mart accepting wic, food stamps, welfare, etc to pay for products in their stores?

Wal mart: A company that imports products made in China, accepts welfare as a form of payment, and pays Americans scant wages to stock shelves and sell these products. Essentially what is happening is that a select group of people are getting very, very, wealthy off the backs of exploited Chinese people, exploited Americans, and the majority of American taxpayers. - You guys want to support this type of company?...

What has been going on recently in this country is disgusting. Rich people see that they can exploit "illegals" and other people in foreign countries, and they have adopted the following mentality "if we can exploit illegals and other people overseas, then why can't we exploit people here in the US?" - And that is what is starting to happen here. Granted, they own these companies and they can be as greedy as they want. But what they can't do is claim that they act in the best interests of America as a whole. They can't claim that they want a broad middle class.

What used to make the US great was a broad middle class, filled with people who were comfortable with their wages and standard of living. The middle class that made this country great began disappearing when wealthy business owners realized they could get the same production at a fraction of the cost from outside the country. - As a result, we have basically no middle class left but we do have a a very small upper class. I talked to a guy the other day who told me that he didn't graduate high school because he took a job at a local steel mill that paid him 25.00 and hour - in 1977! Think about that. Now we have people who side with a company that wants people to work on thanksgiving for next to minimum wage. You guys better figure out what you want this country to look like, and then pick a side. I can assure you, those at the top do not care about you or your family, they only see you for how much production they can get out of you and how much money you can make them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do not shop wal mart unless I have no choice.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
E
Legend
Legend
E
I disagree that they dont care about anything or anyone, and only care about money. Many of their pharmacy prescription prices are significantly less than chain pharmacies. They also have a four dollar drug program and give out free pharmacy discount cards. On one of my meds I save 480 dollars per refill over what costs to have the same prescription filled at CVS. They dont have to have such discounted prices, and people like me who dont have insurance sure appreciate it.

Last edited by EveDawg; 11/17/12 10:21 PM.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Just how much do you think that cashiers and stock people should be paid?

These are entry level type jobs. They are lower end jobs. These aren't high end jobs with heavy education requirements. They are lower end, entry level type jobs.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
It's ridiculous the public is that starved for consumer goods, that they would go out on Thanksgiving night. I have thousands in my bank account, I be damned I waste my holiday to go out shopping to try to save a few bucks. I work in the food industry. If I had to work on Christmas, and Thanksgiving, I would seriously go look at another field. Chick Fila is closed on Sunday, yet makes more sales per store than Mcdonald's. It's just greed by some of these business owners.

I know in the restaurant field, it's very hard to find a great company. Most are just takers, and don't want to give much in return. My dad goes into this dunkin donuts in the youngstown area every night for coffee. He told me this one young kid working there, just received a nickle raise. Are you kidding me a nickle raise? THis is a kid that is going to college, trying to earn some extra cash. Who gives nickle raises?

Legend
Legend
Not everyone celebrates every holiday. (as many have reminded Christians about Christmas for years now)

To people coming here from another country, Thanksgiving probably has zero meaning. They may adopt it as their new tradition, but then again, they may not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Then they can work on those days. At regular pay.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
E
Legend
Legend
E
Also, I think it is fun for a lot of females who enjoy shopping and love finding a deal. It is also good for families trying to save money. The men are not so much going to be into it. I think most men would rather stab themselves in the eye before fighting crowds on thursday or friday.

No Craps Given
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The majority of the country have those 2 days off. What country do you have if you can't even be home to celebrate those 2 holidays? I'm an American. I celebrate them.

Legend
Legend
Most Muslims don't celebrate either holiday.

Legend
Legend
I've worked all the major holidays before... it's not fun, but I knew going into my job that i might have to work them at some point... and those times I did I choose to celebrate the holiday with my family on another day....

but I do agree that I think it's silly for these stores to be open on thanksgiving... Friday I get... Thursday I don't....

<><

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

They will be considered to have voluntarily quit depending on state laws, and company policy. (unless they use the approved call off system) If they used the approved system, the only acceptable reasons to call off are illness, and a few others. I'm sure that they would be in violation of the employee rules if they called off to picket outside their stores.

They also lose benefits (extra discounts, Sunday pay, etc) if they called off on a holiday.

(Full disclosure) My Mom works for WalMart .... and yes, she has to work Thanksgiving.

Well, I don't often shop at Wal-Mart. It's a bit out of the way for where I live. I'm sorry that she's working on Thanksgiving, but I'm sure that she's not the only one.

Legend
Legend
Not even close to being the only one. They didn't put out their Thanksgiving week schedule until late so they didn't have to have as many days oÝ complaining. lol

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

My niece just took a job at a nursing home, and she was told that she would have to work the holidays until such time as she had enough seniority to allow her not to. That should be somewhere in the 5-8 year range. lol

If she lives in a state that is anything like New York, then she's also a unionized SEIU member.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Not even close to being the only one. They didn't put out their Thanksgiving week schedule until late so they didn't have to have as many days of complaining. lol

One of those 'smile and get your ass to work, Butterball' moments? LOL

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If she lives in a state that is anything like New York, then she's also a unionized SEIU member.

Nope. She's non union.

Just about to turn 18, and she's making better money than a lot of college graduates. (of course, she has a job, which is better than a lot of college graduates)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Wal*Mart Employees planning Black Friday Walkout

Link Copied to Clipboard