Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
anarchy2day #742023 01/03/13 08:42 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
As a D/C maybe.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #742024 01/03/13 08:47 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I wouldn't mind him as either the DC or even as HC. Just tell him that we're changing the offense that he's be used to running in Chicago and without the mental cases that he had to deal with there.

Then hire either O'Brien or Marrone as the OC.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

funny that we interviewed him before Kelly.. ..

and is this game tonight a must win for the Ducks?

Probably not a must win, but a win would go a long way with fans (Cle, Phi, Buf)

If the Ducks repeat their games against Stanford this year, Auburn in the national championship, or OSU in the rose bowl, then there will be a lot of nervous people in Cleveland, Buffalo, Philly, or whomever ends up with him.

Knowing that viewership will be higher than normal in those markets tonight, a victory (and even moreso a sound victory) will go a long way - as I suspect that not many see many Duck games and may be "judging" him on this one game.

Again though, it doesn't matter that much, he'll be in the NFL next year - he's given way too much ammo to Pac10 and other coaches competing against Oregon for recruits. 2 years in a row of flirting with the NFL...if someone is going to Oregon for him and his system, they'll be told over and over that it is just a matter of time before he goes.

clwb419 #742026 01/03/13 08:58 PM
Legend
Legend
I will say that I'm very happy with the number of qualified candidates the browns are interviewing and the rate at which they are doing it. Hasn't happened since... Ever?

clevesteve #742027 01/03/13 09:04 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I will say that I'm very happy with the number of qualified candidates the browns are interviewing and the rate at which they are doing it. Hasn't happened since... Ever?

I agree.....but don't forget that Joe Banner is a clothing guy and Jimmy Haslam is a truck stop guy and both are bad news!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
clevesteve #742028 01/03/13 09:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yes, although if you read enough of the chicken little's around here, you might be floored Banner and Haslam actually have a plan.

I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality of interview candidates and also how nothing has leaked from Cleveland's camp. It's clear the brain trust had absolutely every duck lined up and has covered all the bases as they approach (potentially) their #1 guy tonight / tomorrow.

My guess is if Kelly passes O'Brien or Whisenhunt will be introduced as the next head coach.

Ballpeen #742029 01/03/13 09:09 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
if they were interviewing serious people they would be signed. The man they are after is about to coach his last game and come to the NFL, question is are we the bride or the bridesmaid and left looking at our 2nd choice.

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 01/03/13 09:10 PM.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Ballpeen #742030 01/03/13 09:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

don't forget that Joe Banner is a clothing guy and Jimmy Haslam is a truck stop guy and both are bad news!

O no, we're going to have a hooker for our HC

Nas320 #742031 01/03/13 09:14 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, although if you read enough of the chicken little's around here, you might be floored Banner and Haslam actually have a plan.

I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality of interview candidates and also how nothing has leaked from Cleveland's camp. It's clear the brain trust had absolutely every duck lined up and has covered all the bases as they approach (potentially) their #1 guy tonight / tomorrow.

My guess is if Kelly passes O'Brien or Whisenhunt will be introduced as the next head coach.

By the same token you would be amazed at the amount that felt Holmgren and Heckert didnt. Shoe fits on either foot. The new people have something much better to work with then the old people did when they got here.
Never forget that because the new people must continue to improve what was already starting to take shape.

If I build it and you move in and say look what Ive got is not the same as building it. Even maintaining it.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Nas320 #742032 01/03/13 11:24 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

O'Brien said no to the NFL just seen it across ESPN. And I can only hope Wisenhun tis named HC, im not on board with Chip Kelly. It's Wisenhunt, Lovie Smith or bust for me.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Marrone, 48, has gone 25-25 in his four seasons at Syracuse, including 8-5 this season.

In each of Marrone's three seasons as coordinator, quarterback Drew Brees passed for more than 4,000 yards.

Marrone does nothing to impress me. Didn't take Tressell 4 years to build a team. I know apples and oranges.

And he lease N.O. and now Brees passes for 5,000 yards? Just not impressed by one successful year when Brees has had more successful seasons in each of the last three years without him.

REALLY hope it isn't this guy. And I believe we have interviewed the wrong O'Brien.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Ballpeen #742034 01/04/13 05:54 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I agree.....but don't forget that Joe Banner is a clothing guy and Jimmy Haslam is a truck stop guy and both are bad news!

If they hire some guy who has only coached in the NCAA for 4 years that runs some gimmick offense hoping he will suddenly "get it" in the NFL, just remember this.

O'Brian is staying put after interviewing here and until someone is hired, either side of this debate may be right.

I wouldn't count my hatches before they chicken.

I've interviewed at a lot of places, that once I interviewed there, I wouldn't work there. Let's see how much of a coach they can actually land and what he is capable of doing before the gloating begins.

I'm sure that Jimmys huge purse strings will bring in a lot of people out of curiosity. But let's see who wants the job after they see the structure and what they have to deal with in Banner.

Banner is trying to take on duties he's never even sniffed before so I have no idea what all the excitement is about. It's yet another experiment and nothing more.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #742035 01/04/13 07:00 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
For the record, all offenses are a gimmick.

Don't worry, I am not counting on anything at this point. I don't even claim to have a personal favorite for the position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

O'Brien said no to the NFL just seen it across ESPN.

He's playing it as he doesn't want to cut and run, doesn't want to be a one-and-done. If so, then why even interview? Word is he interviewed with two teams. If he wanted to show loyalty, then don't interview. My guess is that neither team offered him the job on the spot. If so, he would have taken it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
CapCity Dawg #742037 01/04/13 07:47 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

After the Chip Kelly interview, does Jimmy Haslam finally make his run at Nick Saban?

Jan 04, 2013 -- 6:00am

By Tony Grossi
ESPN-Cleveland

The Morning Kickoff …

Now down to business: The Browns coaching search comes to a conclusion with today’s reported interview of Oregon’s Chip Kelly.

This comes after Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner camped down in Arizona for a week and reportedly interviewed, in succession, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton (got that out of the way), former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt (why not?), Penn State coach Bill O’Brien (thanks for the $1.3 million raise, Nittany Lions) and Syracuse coach Doug Marrone (the .500 Big East coach). The latter two were Bill Belichick’s suggestions through Mike Lombardi.

Yes, Kelly may be the end of the interview process for Haslam and Banner. Haslam still has to meet and size up the man everyone is calling the favorite for the Browns’ job.

But the next order of business may be just that – a business meeting with Nick Saban.

All along, I’ve believed the Browns’ job was Saban’s for the taking. After this Kelly interview is taken care of, Haslam can refuel his jet, drop off Banner in Cleveland or Philadelphia, and go get himself a football coach down in south Florida where Saban is preparing Alabama for its third BCS Championship Game in four years. This one is against Notre Dame on Monday.

Striking a deal: There is no interview per se with Saban. Haslam doesn’t have to inquire, “Now, Nick, how would your system translate to our pro game?” Or, “Say, Nick, could you go over one more time why you need four quarterbacks who run a 4.4 40?”

The business meeting with Saban goes something like this: “Yes, full say-so in personnel, house in Bratenahl on Lake Erie, and you put the decimal point where you want it.”

Haslam, a devout University of Tennessee benefactor, has watched Saban dominate the Southeastern Conference for six years. In that time, Haslam’s beloved Volunteers have stumbled through three different coaches.

It’s kind of a snapshot of what Haslam bought into with his $1 billion purchase of the Browns. Alabama, with Saban, is Pittsburgh. Tennessee has been the Browns, changing coaches every two years.

Kelly is … well, in another era, he was Mouse Davis, who begat June Jones and Kevin Guilbride and the run-and-shoot craze that enjoyed a few years success until the NFL started practicing for it and then beat the tar out of those little receivers and quarterbacks.

I’m not saying that Kelly isn’t a good college coach or that his offensive principles don’t have merit. Belichick and others have borrowed from it. Kelly is sharp and innovative. And if you don’t think so, just ask him or Lombardi. You can send Saban’s offensive coordinator to one of Kelly’s renowned coaching clinics for some pointers on speeding up the tempo of your offense.

But in this league, you still have to block and tackle – and that is what Saban is all about.

Do you really want to entrust your $1 billion investment to a coach whose myriad supporters are not even 100 percent certain can succeed in the NFL? And do you really want to have a pure college coach from New Hampshire and Oregon rely on Banner and Lombardi to fill his unique player needs?

Will he or won’t he?: You get the feeling things have fallen perfectly for Saban to surprise everybody (again) by making another career move back to the NFL.

All week, Kelly has soaked up the media spotlight, playfully deflecting questions about his imminent jump to the NFL. After Kelly’s Oregon Ducks beat Kansas State, 35-17, in the Fiesta Bowl Thursday night, Kelly said, “I want to get it wrapped up quickly and figure out where I’m gonna be.”

Meanwhile, everyone assumes and reports that Saban is happy to retire in Alabama. It’s to the point where Saban isn’t even being pestered about it that much. Maybe it will pick up again after Kelly picks his NFL suitor. Not that Saban’s answers matter, anyway.

The page is turning to Saban just as reports have the Browns gearing up interest in pursuing Tom Gamble, the San Francisco 49ers director of player personnel.

Gamble is one of the most qualified GM candidates on the market. Gamble would probably require full general manager authority to leave the 49ers. He is being pursued by other teams for that capacity. I have never had the feeling that Banner would name a GM because none would likely accept the job in the configuration Banner has established.

But if Saban is landed as Browns coach, he would have the full authority on personnel. He couldn’t be bullied, or undermined. Saban is the strong leader that Haslam has to come home with. I think Haslam knows that.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&post_id=10351

Dave #742038 01/04/13 08:24 AM
Legend
Legend
If the Browns are interested in Gamble for GM, then it makes no sense that they would be after Saban. It would make sense that they are after a guy who would not require control of the draft and roster. That would point more to a Kelly than to Saban.

I don't understand Grossi sometimes. The tea leaves are pointing in one direction, and he reads tham as something completely different. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but to me, if the Browns are definitely gearing up for a run at Gamble, then that says Kelly to me.

I dunno .... I have a feeling that Saban is a pipe dream. He is a veritable god in Alabama. He can stay and win 2 or 3 .... or 4 more national championships, and take his place among the legends of the game. Why would he leave that?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Just gonna throw my opinion in here.

I dont know what makes a coach great, I dont know what makes some transition from college to pros or whatever.
Watching the game last night it really looked like the Ducks were well coached, well disciplined, well conditioned, and certainly ready to play.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I get the feeling sometimes that Grossi writes what he wants to happen, rather than what's most likely. Example: always listing Bill Cowher as a prime candidate for Browns' HC, when Cowher has not shown the least interest, besides buying 9 houses in Strongsville. I will say though, that I have heard Grossi on 'KNR saying that his sources tell him that Haslam is totally enamored with Saban. I am somewhat concerned that Kelly is using the Browns to jack up the Philly offer. It is notable that the Browns are scheduled first for Kelly's interviews. Anyway, I think we'll know who the coach is by Tuesday evening. I'm betting on Whisenhunt, and I'm good with that.

Dave #742041 01/04/13 09:10 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Marrone does nothing to impress me. Didn't take Tressell 4 years to build a team. I know apples and oranges.

Well, in Marrone's defense, maybe Syracuse doesn't have as attractive of a free equipment and tattoo program.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's been long enough, we can all laugh about it.

Dave #742043 01/04/13 12:26 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Gamble is one of the most qualified GM candidates on the market. Gamble would probably require full general manager authority to leave the 49ers. He is being pursued by other teams for that capacity. I have never had the feeling that Banner would name a GM because none would likely accept the job in the configuration Banner has established.

jc...

I can't believe it, someone in the media finally picked up on and commented about one of the obstacles potential coach and GM candidates must consider, before taking a job with the Browns.

A recent article pretty much confirms that Joe Banner fired Tom Heckert because Heckert would not give in to Banner's demand to have the final say over the roster...this article from ESPN-Cleveland by Grossi...Heckert comments...

“Once the team was sold, I thought it was going to happen,” Heckert said. “Obviously, the final say (on football matters) was a problem and this was going to happen. It’s probably the best for both of us (to part ways).”
web page

What Banner has done by demanding this type of power, presents a dilemma for coaching and GM candidates to consider when looking at a job with the Browns...it is a negative that could be the determining factor in landing the top coaching and GM talent or NOT !

It is going to be tough to find someone willing to work under such a bastardized GM configuration. Banner is looking for his "George Kokinis"..a figure head filling the GM position...someone willing to hold the title, do the work, but not have the power of "final say" that most NFL GMs want.

I doubt that the best prospects will not even consider the Browns, with such a set up/power structure. So now Banner is forced to look for second tier talent for the GM position, someone such as a Mike Lombardi who has not had a job with a team for 5 yrs.

If Haslam goes after top coaching talent such as Nick Saban or Chip Kelly, they will likely want total control and if Banner is not willing to concede, the top GM and Head Coaching talent will go elsewhere.

Hopefully Haslam does something about the problem he created by allowing Banner to have such powers. If the choice comes down to landing Nick Saban to coach the Browns or feeding Joe Banner's huge ego...lets hope Haslam does the right thing for Cleveland fans.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #742044 01/04/13 12:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The question I have is why! would a new owner even pick up that troll looking snake in the grass Banner?

mac #742045 01/04/13 12:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Banner said he wants to have the coach have final say over the 53. Heckert had that here, which is kind of weird to me. I would think the coach should always decide on cuts.

Player aquisition, we don't know how that will break down. How much is Banner, how much is the gm, the coach... heck, how much is haslam?

clevesteve #742046 01/04/13 12:54 PM
Legend
Legend
There are 2 ways to look at it.

On the GM side, he may have watched a particular prospect for years, and has a good idea how he will develop, even if the coach does not. The GM also may have an idea what areas are going to be strong in the next draft, and if the team has, maybe, a CB and LB of equal current value, the fact that the next draft may be weak in one of those positions may tip it in favor of one or the other.

However, as time has gone by, there have been more coaches who want to "shop for the ingredients if they are supposed to bake the cake". They want to set the priorities as far as finding players, both through the draft and free agents.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
mac #742047 01/04/13 01:10 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

jc...

I can't believe it, someone in the media finally picked up on and commented about one of the obstacles potential coach and GM candidates must consider, before taking a job with the Browns.

A recent article pretty much confirms that Joe Banner fired Tom Heckert because Heckert would not give in to Banner's demand to have the final say over the roster...this article from ESPN-Cleveland by Grossi...Heckert comments...

“Once the team was sold, I thought it was going to happen,” Heckert said. “Obviously, the final say (on football matters) was a problem and this was going to happen. It’s probably the best for both of us (to part ways).”
web page

What Banner has done by demanding this type of power, presents a dilemma for coaching and GM candidates to consider when looking at a job with the Browns...it is a negative that could be the determining factor in landing the top coaching and GM talent or NOT !

It is going to be tough to find someone willing to work under such a bastardized GM configuration. Banner is looking for his "George Kokinis"..a figure head filling the GM position...someone willing to hold the title, do the work, but not have the power of "final say" that most NFL GMs want.

I doubt that the best prospects will not even consider the Browns, with such a set up/power structure. So now Banner is forced to look for second tier talent for the GM position, someone such as a Mike Lombardi who has not had a job with a team for 5 yrs.

If Haslam goes after top coaching talent such as Nick Saban or Chip Kelly, they will likely want total control and if Banner is not willing to concede, the top GM and Head Coaching talent will go elsewhere.

Hopefully Haslam does something about the problem he created by allowing Banner to have such powers. If the choice comes down to landing Nick Saban to coach the Browns or feeding Joe Banner's huge ego...lets hope Haslam does the right thing for Cleveland fans.

As usual, you panic for no good reason.

This is the PERFECT opportunity for an up and coming GM type guy to come in, demonstrate his ability and have room for advancement within the orgainzation.

So you find a guy that Banner and Haslam and the New HC (whoever that ends up being) feel has a grasp on the type of player they want for the type of system the want to run and you give him a lesser position and allow him to grow into the full GM job.

It's not traditional, but who's to say it's a bad idea. We've seen it not work here, but then you have to look at who was hired. Butch Davis was a pretty decent coach but he couldn't pick players. And the guy he had here was his buddy from Miami and he didn't know what he was doing either apparently.

But if the right guy becomes HC (I don't know who that is), it would be a terrific learning and grooming position.

Personally, I would have rather had a proven GM like Heckert but apparently that wasn't to be.

Haslam paid a billion bucks for 70% of this team.. Randy Still has retained 30% so when it's all said and done, he'll pay more, lots more.

If he feels it's the best way to go, then it's his money. You may not agree, but gees, give a minute and see who the actually hire before ripping them to pieces.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Browns are interested in Gamble for GM, then it makes no sense that they would be after Saban. It would make sense that they are after a guy who would not require control of the draft and roster. That would point more to a Kelly than to Saban.

I don't understand Grossi sometimes. The tea leaves are pointing in one direction, and he reads tham as something completely different. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but to me, if the Browns are definitely gearing up for a run at Gamble, then that says Kelly to me.

I dunno .... I have a feeling that Saban is a pipe dream. He is a veritable god in Alabama. He can stay and win 2 or 3 .... or 4 more national championships, and take his place among the legends of the game. Why would he leave that?

No kidding,,, Grossi is an odd guy

Take this gem

Quote:

Do you really want to entrust your $1 billion investment to a coach whose myriad supporters are not even 100 percent certain can succeed in the NFL?

Dumbest comment ever. He talks about Saban as the guy, but Saban has been down the NFL head coaching highway before and didn't exactly light it up in Miami.,

so not even he is a guy you can't believe is 100% gonna make it work

Come to think of it, is there anyone out there that fits that goal of having 100% chance of success? NO

I'd have thought for sure, Butch Davis could get it done, same with the RAC and for sure I felt confident in Mangini and for crying out loud,, Mike Holmgren in the house? And yet, I wouldn't have guaranteed you success with any of them.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #742049 01/04/13 02:06 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
The same thing happens on these boards every two-three years.Before it was always about a coach,or GM,this time it's about a new owner.
No one,nada,zilch,nobody knows anything about the guy.
The moment some one brings up something that might possibly be construed as a negative,that poster gets lambasted by those willing to ignore any,or every fact that doesn't fit nicely into their little dream world.
I would think that after these years and all these failures,there would be many more "negative nancys" and alot less sheep.
It appears that in NE Ohio hope does spring eternal,even in Jan.I guess that's a good thing.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
BCbrownie #742050 01/04/13 02:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the new regime would like to make a splash and think anyone recently fired is a retread. Ken Whisenhunt took a team that was as bad as ours in a franchise that historically has been worse than ours and made them SB contenders. QB was a big issue and I dont know who to blame that on.

Mike McCoy will probably end up in Arizona but I give him nearly as strong as a consideration.

I'm afraid Kelly is a shiney new toy that WILL bring an eye to cleveland whether he succeeds or flops. If he flops we are bigger laughingstocks than we currently are.

I like Whisenhunt for HC. Then McCoy, then Lovie Smith.

1oldMutt #742051 01/04/13 02:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ken Whisenhunt took a team that was as bad as ours in a franchise that historically has been worse than ours and made them SB contenders. QB was a big issue and I dont know who to blame that on.

What's to blame? They had Warner, they kept trying to insert Leinart but he kept failing so they kept going back to Warner.. then Warner retired and the struggled for a year then brought in Kolb, who a lot of people on this board really wanted us to get... and to be honest, Kolb hasn't played horribly, he just can't stay on the field.. I'm not sure it's anybodys fault. Who have they passed up? Gabbert, Ponder... but that was right when they signed Kolb...

I do think they are a pretty good team just waiting for a good QB...

yebat' Putin
cfrs15 #742052 01/04/13 02:31 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I really hope someone else lands Chip. It's not that I don't think he can be successful but I don't want us to be the team to take that chance.

ttimothygman #742053 01/04/13 02:34 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I want him just because of that. Someone is going to conduct the experiment, why not us? If it works we will be the team that revolutionized the sport. How many chances do you get at that?

BCbrownie #742054 01/04/13 02:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The same thing happens on these boards every two-three years.Before it was always about a coach,or GM,this time it's about a new owner.
The moment some one brings up something that might possibly be construed as a negative,that poster gets lambasted by those willing to ignore any,or every fact that doesn't fit nicely into their little dream world.
I would think that after these years and all these failures,there would be many more "negative nancys" and alot less sheep.
It appears that in NE Ohio hope does spring eternal,even in Jan.I guess that's a good thing.

OK, I admit it, I'm a glass half full kinda guy. so when I read Macs take on things, I thought, wait, this could actually be a good thing. And I think it could. or it could be awful.

Everything depends on these two next hires. Get the right guys,, we could be great.. Get more of the same ole same ole,, we are what we are.

I still wish we'd have kept Heckert.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #742055 01/04/13 02:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Kelly's interview is suppose to be starting now. 2est.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of these big time interviews.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd love to hear the whys and why nots for these guys they decline and pick.

Wasnt big on Chip but the adjustments he said he needed to make last night on D, he actually did and did it effectively and it won them the game!

Damanshot #742058 01/04/13 03:13 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
He's gone,nothing can done about it.
Was that a quote from Goodfellas?Sure sounded familiar.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Damanshot #742059 01/04/13 03:15 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

As usual, you panic for no good reason.

It's not about panic. It's about people trying to ignore what both Heckert said and Banner/Haslam said in their prss conference. Ignore it if you want. Refuse to address it if you will. But casting stones at people who bring up the obvious really is no kind of counter point.

Quote:

This is the PERFECT opportunity for an up and coming GM type guy to come in, demonstrate his ability and have room for advancement within the orgainzation.

How is that exactly? When the owner and team president insist on being in the war room and you have to come to a concesus with them before you can act, how is that an oppertunity again?

Quote:

So you find a guy that Banner and Haslam and the New HC (whoever that ends up being) feel has a grasp on the type of player they want for the type of system the want to run and you give him a lesser position and allow him to grow into the full GM job.

So on the job training huh? Isn't that kind of what some of have been saying? You fire a guy like Heckert and bring in some newbie that has no power and is more of an overglorified talent scout.

How re-assuring......

Quote:

It's not traditional, but who's to say it's a bad idea. We've seen it not work here, but then you have to look at who was hired. Butch Davis was a pretty decent coach but he couldn't pick players. And the guy he had here was his buddy from Miami and he didn't know what he was doing either apparently.

So can you tell us how two out of the four people in the war room having no draft experience yet insist on agreeing with every move made can work? I mean in your opinion, what are the odds of something like that working?

Quote:

But if the right guy becomes HC (I don't know who that is), it would be a terrific learning and grooming position.

Oh yeah! That's what we need. Somebody that has to learn on the job while the fans pay the price in dollars and cents for that.

Wonderful!

Quote:

Personally, I would have rather had a proven GM like Heckert but apparently that wasn't to be.

That would seem far more logical wouldn't it?

Quote:

Haslam paid a billion bucks for 70% of this team.. Randy Still has retained 30% so when it's all said and done, he'll pay more, lots more.

You may want to fact check that. He payed around 700 mil. for the 70% with the rest being bought out later for the remainder of the slightly over 1 billion total.

Quote:

If he feels it's the best way to go, then it's his money. You may not agree, but gees, give a minute and see who the actually hire before ripping them to pieces.

To look at the situation for what it is and try to be objective about what type of person (s) would want to come here under such a situation is a logical thing to do.

All we really have now is rumor and inuendo. Other than the comments of Heckert and the current powers that be. I feel if one objectively digests those, it's a rather sickening feeling.......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BCbrownie #742060 01/04/13 03:18 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Or a pipe dream..... Or a fool's paradise.... Or just being gullible.

There's plenty more options. Take your pick.

#gmstrong
jaybird #742061 01/04/13 03:21 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of these big time interviews.

I hope Chip knows it's best to send thank you cards immediately after...

Brownoholic #742062 01/04/13 03:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Retain Jauron-DC
Whisenhunt- HC
Mornhinweg-OC

And for me...I'm watching Tee it up Ohio. I'd like Carling Coffing as my personal assitant!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard