Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
PitDAWG #742063 01/04/13 03:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

To look at the situation for what it is and try to be objective about what type of person (s) would want to come here under such a situation is a logical thing to do.

It is... but until I start hearing that the candidates we want are turning us down, then I'm not going to worry about it...

Quote:

Oh yeah! That's what we need. Somebody that has to learn on the job while the fans pay the price in dollars and cents for that.

Wonderful!

Pit, when hiring a coach or a GM you generally have 2 choices.. 1. Somebody with experience who has failed at it, which is why they are looking for a job or 2. Somebody who has never done it before... those are your choices.

For those who would say, what about a Billick or Gruden or Cowher.. I would say that no coach, not one ever, has won a super bowl with 2 different teams...

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #742064 01/04/13 03:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would say that no coach, not one ever, has won a super bowl with 2 different teams...

true but 5 have lead two different teams to one

<><

#gmstrong
DCDAWGFAN #742065 01/04/13 03:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's the "non-experience factor" with Kelly that just makes it so hard to believe so many here seem to be gushing about the guy.

Let's put it this way, even though I know it's not some type of absolute fact, let's be somewhat realistic here.

O'Brian wouldn't interview for an NFL HC position if he weren't interested in being an NFL HC.

Did Haslam offer him the job? I highly doubt that. Did he tell him he wasn't going to get the job? I highly doubt that too. I mean a good businessman would want to keep his options open.

But after that interview, O'Brian straight away made a definate decision to stay at Penn. St. That wasn't something he needed to or had to do right away. Yet right after leaving here, his mind was made up.

All that really tells us is that he would rather be at Penn. St. than he would be here. Is that turning us down? No.

Is that saying he really wasn't interested in what they had to offer? I'd say yes.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #742066 01/04/13 04:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Did Haslam offer him the job? I highly doubt that. Did he tell him he wasn't going to get the job? I highly doubt that too. I mean a good businessman would want to keep his options open.

But after that interview, O'Brian straight away made a definate decision to stay at Penn. St. That wasn't something he needed to or had to do right away. Yet right after leaving here, his mind was made up.

Rumor I heard was that O'Brian was really shocked at the backlash he got for even interviewing after his passionate speech last year, taking over the job in the middle of scandal and punishment and how he was in it for the long haul and he was committed and he needed kids who were committed too.. blahblahblah.. then after 1 year to go interview for the NFL? .... PSU fans really came down hard on him, which is why his statement is all about his commitment to PSU... I think the guy just has a conscience and realized he was making a mistake..

yebat' Putin
PitDAWG #742067 01/04/13 04:05 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I don't know how valid it is, but PFT says the buyout clause in Obrien's contract played a role in things. Their wording was that Obrien "couldn't find anyone to write the check to Penn State."

Truth? Fiction? I dunno. I don't view Obrien not coming here as him not wanting to be here. I think if that were the case he'd still be making the rounds to other teams since his was a very hot commodity. As it stands now he's saying that he had no intention of leaving for the NFL.

My own personal feeling? He used it as a way to get a $1.3 million dollar bump in pay from the University that assured him the potential sanctions against his football team wouldn't be doled out by the NCAA, but that it was criminal, so he couldn't be hurt. That turned out to be false.

I have no idea whether or not he liked what he heard here or not. He may have loved the idea, or he may have hated the idea of answering to the guy who could look Danny Devito eye-to-eye and match him snarl-for-snarl

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #742068 01/04/13 04:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So Toad.... and you too DC.......

What would your forecast and or prediction be if Chip Kelly were named our HC? Would you consider him "the best candidate for the job" as Haslam described he would hire?

Would you feel there were better candidates out there for the job? Would you find it likely a top HC candidate would want to be here rather than other NFL open destinations?

I have seen many try to rationalise why Kelly would be okay for the job, but I don't see too many coming up to bat at the plate on their feelings regarding these questions......

I know at least you Toad were very vocal about Holmgren and Shurmer. So I'd like your full opinion of why or why not you feel Kelly would be a good or bad thing.....

And please don't hold back. I'd like your unbridled and full opinions......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #742069 01/04/13 04:52 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

What would your forecast and or prediction be if Chip Kelly were named our HC? Would you consider him "the best candidate for the job" as Haslam described he would hire?

Would you feel there were better candidates out there for the job? Would you find it likely a top HC candidate would want to be here rather than other NFL open destinations?

I have seen many try to rationalise why Kelly would be okay for the job, but I don't see too many coming up to bat at the plate on their feelings regarding these questions......

I know at least you Toad were very vocal about Holmgren and Shurmer. So I'd like your full opinion of why or why not you feel Kelly would be a good or bad thing.....

Heres mine even though you didnt ask for it. I knew nothing about Kelly before last week. Then started to read up on him. He turned down better jobs to learn more.
He coached about every position in football and although at smaller programs gained invaluable experence at how each part of each position works.

Once he was ready he made the move up to HC.

He has turned down the NFl before for assistant jobs. I have ideas on why but that is speculation so I wont comment exept to say he has been offered employment at this level.

He is in contact with some of the brightest minds in football today and that is a 2 way street. He learns he teaches, and that is the final part that really has me sold.
He teaches. He teaches his coaches how to teach his players. Dont undersell that part.

He has said if you cant explain to a player why you are running a play you probably shouldnt be running that play. He doesnt just say run play X because thats what Im running. The team coaches and players understand exactly why they are doing what they are doing.

If he feels hes ready to come to the NFL I think he will be a great coach in a short time. He will run the team based on what talent he has.
I like him for us because we have a young moldable team. He is young (in coaching terms) and can relate to these younger players having been coaching them for 4 years now.

Most (the players here) only have known winning at the collage level and are not used to losing at all.
He may be the perfect person to explain it to them and get them to the level we want to see them play at.

Finally most Legend coachs dont move around once they become a HC. If he does have that or becomes that we wont get a 2nd chance to hire him.
So you either get him now and he becomes great at this level or he may just end up being good enough and maybe we get to a SB and he moves on or he fails.

With this team at this time I dont think any of the others fit the bill of possible great like he does. Hence he is my 1st choice.

Whisenhunt or Lovie would be next on my list but because they have had success and I think they also would be able to take our young roster to the next level.
Belichick had some of the same traits when he came here.

Anyway not trying to change anyones mind thats how I feel and if we hire him I will be excited. If we dont then I will just watch how he does. Either way I guess Ill see if im right or wrong on him.

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 01/04/13 05:15 PM.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
DCDAWGFAN #742070 01/04/13 06:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Pit, when hiring a coach or a GM you generally have 2 choices.. 1. Somebody with experience who has failed at it, which is why they are looking for a job or 2. Somebody who has never done it before... those are your choices.

There's an unemployed GM out there right who we're very familiar with that doesn't fit either of these categories. Sometimes things just don't work out, personalities or styles don't mesh, new owners with a different vision, somebody wanting to return to the position after some time off, etc. There just may be a talented individual or two out there.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #742071 01/04/13 06:51 PM
Legend
Legend
hearing there may be a new head coach announced in the next few hours..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

hearing there may be a new head coach announced in the next few hours..

source? please PM if you can't post it on here.

~Lyuokdea
Lyuokdea #742073 01/04/13 07:07 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Its close very close. All rumors atm but coming from people inside the NFL network atm.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Now headlining on NFL network.
http://www.nfl.com/

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
This from WKNR:

By Bruce Hooley

Chip Kelly is likely to be named the Browns’ next head coach, barring a last-second change of heart by either Cleveland management or the Oregon head coach, ESPN 850 WKNR’s Tony Grossi said this afternoon.

“I think it's all over,” Grossi said. “Barring a setback to the Browns, Chip Kelly is the next coach…If something would collapse, it would be a surprise. This thing may have been locked up earlier than today" when the Browns received word that Alabama coach Nick Saban would not be receptive to any coaching overtures.

“I understand Saban has informed the Browns, ‘Go on with your search,’ ” Grossi said. “He is not coming from Bama. “

Kelly coached Oregon to victory over Kansas State Thursday night in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. He and his agent, David Dunn, were scheduled to meet with the Browns today, but the Philadelphia Eagles also interviewed Kelly for their head coaching opening.

The Eagles said late Friday afternoon they were also pursuing two assistant coaches with the Atlanta Falcons, Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

More on this story as the day unfolds and details become available.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=19&post_id=10391

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
If Kelly is announced as the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns....who would you want as GM that fits Kelly's persona/philosophy???

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Kelly likely on way to Browns
Jan 04, 2013 -- 5:56pm

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=19&post_id=10391

JE159 #742078 01/04/13 07:24 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

If Kelly is announced as the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns....who would you want as GM that fits Kelly's persona/philosophy???

Thats a good question. I know we have ask for permission to interveiw the guy from SF. NFL network is still pimping their guy who I want no part of.

Crazy part is I think Heckert would have been perfect.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Very nice, if he can surround himself with a strong staff (especially on the defensive side of the ball) I think this is going to be a great hire.

Curious to see what direction we go at QB now, doubt its Weeden unless Kelly is really altering his style.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's also on a banner on NFL.com that they are close.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Very nice, if he can surround himself with a strong staff (especially on the defensive side of the ball) I think this is going to be a great hire.

Curious to see what direction we go at QB now, doubt its Weeden unless Kelly is really altering his style.

Which QB on the Browns roster is smiling right now?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I really hope we keep Jauron and the 4-3 defense here because we really shouldn't mess with that.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I disagree completely. I think Weeden is by far the best fit for a Kelly offense. Put him in the shotgun. Run an up-tempo style and use your workhorse RB in both the running and passing game. Sounds exactly like the offense Weeden ran at Oklahoma State and is essentially the type of offense Kelly could easily bring to the NFL.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree completely. I think Weeden is by far the best fit for a Kelly offense. Put him in the shotgun. Run an up-tempo style and use your workhorse RB in both the running and passing game. Sounds exactly like the offense Weeden ran at Oklahoma State and is essentially the type of offense Kelly could easily bring to the NFL.

+1.

Just because we won't run the option doesn't mean we can't adopt Kelly's overall offensive philosophy. Loads of shot gun, high tempo, etc.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when it comes to Weeds.. should be interesting.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely if that is a change Kelly is willing to make to his offense that is by far our best fit for the current roster.

However while I'm sure Kelly won't run his QB as much as he did at Oregon I think he is going to want someone under center who at least makes defenses worry about if he will, Weeden absolutely cannot give him that.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely if that is a change Kelly is willing to make to his offense that is by far our best fit for the current roster.

However while I'm sure Kelly won't run his QB as much as he did at Oregon I think he is going to want someone under center who at least makes defenses worry about if he will, Weeden absolutely cannot give him that.

...Alex Smith?

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
D
Legend
Legend
D
From Will Burge, Browns beat reporter for ESPN-Cleveland:
Colt McCoy says Joe Banner told him (McCoy) that he is "in the next Coach's plans".

FWIW.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...Alex Smith?

I think he would be a good fit, doesn't run much but mobile enough to keep defenses honest.

Interesting to see Colt is in the next coaches plans, but if Kelly sees something in him I'm intrigued to see what it is.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

From Will Burge, Browns beat reporter for ESPN-Cleveland:
Colt McCoy says Joe Banner told him (McCoy) that he is "in the next Coach's plans".

FWIW.

no way in hell.. no way.. We need a TOUGH QB if we are gonna be running w/ the QB. Colt can run, but he's a little on the fragile side. We'll be hearing reports about his shoulder every week of the season.

another guy has said he has been texting several Browns offensive players, and they are VERY excited.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We need a TOUGH QB if we are gonna be running w/ the QB.

Umm....why would we be doing this? Chip Kelly offense != running QB necessarily.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Wake me up from this crazy dream.

PitDAWG #742093 01/04/13 08:54 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Hold back? Moi?

If I give you an opinion that states I don't really have an opinion, does that still count?

I've given thought about Kelly. I really have. It's harder to say what I know about Kelly than it is to say what I don't like about various candidates.

I'm not in favor of re-tread coaches, or more specifically, coaches that have been fired from previous gigs. Sure, there are guys that have had success, but my honest feeling is that there are far more Romeo Crennel's out there than there are Tom Coughlin's.

I suppose I'm talking this out as much as anything...

I have always been a proponent of "matches" meaning you can have a good owner and a good coach but if they aren't a good fit they won't work.

In the case of Haslam and Banner, they are a better fit with a new-age style of coach, meaning not an old guy like Reid. So in that light, Kelly seems like a smarter fit than some others out there.

Having given a "pro" it's time for a "con." I gotta wonder how much respect Kelly is going to get from the veteran NFL guys. At least Harbaugh has NFL-cred to his name from his playing days, just like Elway. Chip Kelly? He better have an amazing gravitational personality and charisma or he'll be in for a rough ride. I guess it's a good thing that this is such a young team, because a roster such as what you'll find on the Jets might eat him for lunch.

I do find it a good thing that several teams wanted him. Any organization can make a stupid decision because it only takes one, ala the Donks taking Tebow with a #1. Had the Browns been the only team after Kelly I'd be far more concerned.

Making things even more difficult for me to form an opinion on Kelly is what I don't know about his offense. Sure, I know what he did in college, but what does that mean as he moves to the NFL? Harbaugh runs stuff here that he never ran at Stanford and vice-versa. I simply can't form an opinion if I don't have enough information.

Another "pro" for me is that if Kelly comes here that'll make me believe we'll have a more knowledgable pro personnel man than if someone like Reid or Saban came aboard.

Now of all people you'll get a kick out of this next bullet-point...I'm more pro-Kelly because of FEAR. I feared they'd hire a dope like Josh McDaniels

So where do I honestly stand on Kelly? I'm apprehensive, not because he doesn't have much experience, but because I don't have enough data to make an informed opinion due to his resume that doesn't really tell me anything. I'm also apprehensive because his risk-taking, rule-breaking style of coaching has a massive "boom or bust" quality, and we've seen enough pathetic game-day coaches around here to last a lifetime.

I would say that I've been begging for some no-huddle, up-tempo stuff for years...but we've never had coaches (or players) who could do it. Richardson is a perfect back for some up-tempo stuff because he won't have to be a situational guy. There are precious-few all-around backs who can run, block, and catch.

I do know that greatness isn't made by recycling coaches and going conservative. To be great is to be a risk-taker.

Right now, I'm all over the map on guys like Kelly and Obrien.

Keep this question open, man. Ask me again when word starts coming down regarding the kind of offense he'll run. I know he's a young coach and that he's going to screw up, just like Shurmur did. It'll be critical to see if he's got enough smarts and moxy to overcome that.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ha! Wait til you see big number 15 - Tim Tebow - at QB in an orange helmet next September. Its too freaking Hollywood not to happen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ha! Wait til you see big number 15 - Tim Tebow - at QB in an orange helmet next September. Its too freaking Hollywood not to happen.

if they can get Tebow for cheap... i think it will happen too. I don't like him as a QB.. but I can see him running to the sidelines doing this in orange and brown.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I think that Chris Ogbonnaya is going to be happy in the Chip Kelly offense too.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Hey Colt...I have a plan....Have you ever held for Extra points & Field goals...

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Wake me up from this crazy dream.

The Cleveland Browns hiring a kid-coach whose last offense was the uber up-temp spread-option?

Crazy dream nothing...this is our version of an acid trip...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think he would do well in Kellys style....and has a build to take the hits. I would bring him in. He is a winner, might not be the most gifted thrower but he finds ways to win. Id also take a shot at denard robinson in the draft too since geno smith will be gone

#brownsgoodkarma
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Hey Colt...I have a plan....Have you ever held for Extra points & Field goals...

Brandon Weeden tweeted that he couldn't do that.

OverToad #742101 01/04/13 09:07 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Nice reply toad I think alot of people feel much as you do. I've said my peace on the subject.

Cant really keep the question open though because its meant to be answered before we know the results.
Those discussions will take place over the next few years for sure.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't like Tebow as a QB either, but I love him as a football player. I think we'll all have to set aside our preconceived notions about NFL football while we see how this plays out. It should be interesting at the very least, which is better than watching some half-assed version of the WCO for another year.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard