Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Heldawg #745759 01/24/13 05:21 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I'm tired if people comparing QBs simply because they're Caucasian.

EJ Manuel compares to Big Ben

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I'm tired if people comparing QBs simply because they're Caucasian.

EJ Manuel compares to Big Ben

Brandon Weeden compares to Geno Smith (right down to the BigXII play and Dana Holgorsen)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You can avoid this sort of thing by comparing them to quarterbacks of varied backgrounds... for example "Russell Wilson is like a mix of Drew Brees and Randall Cunningham" or "Colin Kaepernick is like a mix of Michael Vick and Ben Roethlisberger."

clevesteve #745762 01/24/13 07:55 PM
Legend
Legend
ROUND 1

1. Kansas City: DT - Star Lotulelei
Andy Reid has said they will "take the best player available." Many think that is Lotuleili. In the last 10 drafts, the first player the Eagles have taken have played DT (4 Cox, Laws, Bunkley, Patterson), DE (2 Graham, McDougle), OG (2 Watkins, Andrews), QB (1 Kolb), WR (1 Maclin).

2. Jacksonville: DE - Damontre Moore
He's the best pass rusher available on a team that has needed a good one for years. IIRC Babin is a FA and Branch is not a stud. Milliner and Geno Smith are both considerations here, but I give it to Moore.

3. Oakland: LB - Jarvis Jones
For me, this is the toughest pick in the first round because the Raiders could just as easily go with CB Milliner, DE Werner, or OT Joeckel. I think the fact that they were 28th in scoring D last year tips them to the defensive side of the ball. I have them going with Jones here after seeing what Von Miller has been able to do in Denver.

4. Philadelphia: OT - Luke Joeckel
Easiest pick in the draft for me. I don't think anyone needs an explanation why Philly would take the top OT in the draft if he were available.

5. Detroit: CB - Dee Milliner
While DE Werner and OG Warmack both make sense here, I give the nod to the BPA which is also a longtime position of need for the Lions. If Avril leaves in FA, then Werner could be a stronger consideration.

6. Cleveland: DE/OLB - Bjorn Werner
Moore, Jones, and Milliner off the board is pretty much a nightmare scenario for the Browns. Possible conversion to the 3-4 and nobody to play rush LB on the roster forces their hand here. With Lombardi calling the shots, he might reach for someone like Mingo or Jordan. Okafor is another option here. The Browns will also consider Geno Smith, but I think the coach talks them out of it.

7. Arizona: OT - Eric Fisher
Bruce Arians and Tom Moore are smart enough and have been around long enough to know that no QB is going to perform behind that line. Geno Smith is tempting after his work with Luck, but Arians puts Whisenhunt's mess to rest as they name Kolb the starter and try to protect him. Or maybe they trade Larry Fitzgerald to San Fran for Alex Smith and a first round pick?

8. Buffalo: QB - Geno Smith
Buffalo catches a break as the top QB in the draft falls to them. Marrone breathes a sigh of relief as the local pressure to take his protege Nassib and local favorite is lifted as Smith is available.

9. New York Jets: OG - Chance Warmack
Jets are bummed that Smith goes one pick before them, and would be the pick if Buffalo goes (as rumored) with Nassib or Glennon or a different direction. Warmack is clearly the BPA here and at a position of need. Vaccaro is in consideration, but the offense needs to improve.

10. Titans: FS - Kenny Vaccaro
Michael Griffin will probably be cut and Jordan Babineaux has been an underachiever. Titans need to improve their D and will give Locker another year of throwing dirtballs and illegal forward passes. Bummed that Warmack went one spot ahead of them, but happy to have Vaccaro

11. Chargers: OT - Lane Johnson
I want to put DJ Fluker here, but so many people have Johnson far ahead of him that I think I would be wrong to have him drafted ahead of Johnson... not necessarily that he'll be better.

12. Dolphins: DT - Sheldon Richardson
Could also go WR Keenan Allen or a corner here with Rhodes, but Richardson I think lets Miami optimize their value as their are good WRs that should be available in the 2nd.

13. Buccaneers: CB - Xavier Rhodes
Tampa eschewed taking a corner last year opting instead for Mark Barron and now need to take players at the position. I see them taking in-state product Rhodes.

14. Panthers: DT - Johnathan Hankins
Panthers could also use another WR, but they desperately need a DT and Hankins is a good one.

15. Saints: DE - Ezekiel Ansah
With no corners or safeties worth the selection at 15, The Saints hope Ansah can take over for Will Smith. DJ Fluker is also a strong consideration, and Montgomery and Mingo are other DE options.

16. Rams: OG - Jonathan Cooper
Sam Bradford is still getting killed. This needs to stop.

17. Steelers: DE/OLB - Barkevious Mingo
James Harrison will be cut by the Steelers, so they draft the falling Mingo to replace him.

18. Cowboys: DE - Sam Montgomery
Switching to 4-3 and Spencer walking, a LDE is needed opposite Ware. Could just as easily be Datone Jones. DJ Fluker is also a consideration here.

19. Giants: LB - Manti Te'o
The Giants desperately need help at OT and LB. This pick could be Fluker or Te'o, and the other guy probably goes next to the Bears.

20. Bears: OT - DJ Fluker
With Urlacher leaving, the Bears need a new leader on defense. However, they desperately need to improve their OL play at just about every position. They should be relieved that Fluker was still available if it goes down like this. Their team could use Keenan Allen, but that's a luxury they can't afford right now IMO.

21. Bengals: LB - Alec Ogletree
The Bengals would be thrilled if Ogletree fell this far. Could also consider Jordan or Okafor here.

22. Rams (from Redskins): FS - Eric Reid
I think this is high for Reid (I would probably take Elam over Reid), but the Rams have publically announced their desperation at Safety, and this is an "extra" pick due to Fisher's Shanahanigans last year. Again considered Keenan Allen.

23. Vikings: WR - Keenan Allen
Need, meet BPA.

24. Colts: DT - John Jenkins
John Jenkins is the prototypical NT. Dion Jordan and Alex Okafor are considerations as rush OLBs as well.

25. Seahawks: WR - DeAndre Hopkins
Golden Tate did well, but is limited in ability. Hopkins is more talented than any Seahawk WR.

26. Packers: OLB - Dion Jordan
Green Bay won't panic at WR with Jennings leaving, and will prefer to wait until the second to address their hole at C. I'm tempted to put Okafor here over Jordan, but after Aldon Smith's performance last year I think GB chomps at the bit to put another athletic guy opposite Matthews.

27. Texans: WR - Cordarrelle Patterson
The Texans finally succumb to the constant insistances that Kevin Walter isn't good enough opposite Andre Johnson.

28. Broncos: CB - Johnthan Banks
Could have gone with Jesse Williams or Zach Etz here, but Champ Bailey was exposed terribly in the playoffs.

29. Patriots: DE - Datone Jones
Positional versatility on the front 7 for the Pats. Can play 4-3 LDE, 3-4 DE, 3-4 rush OLB. Considered Robert Woods and Justin Hunter as well.

30. Falcons: TE - Zach Ertz
I think we've seen Gonzales' swan song. He still played at a very high level this year, but the Falcons have to think about replacing him.

31. San Francisco: NT - Jesse Williams
Isaac Sopoaga is about to become a free agent and is 31. Jesse Williams falls into their laps.

32. Baltimore: LB - Kevin Minter
Kevin Minter gets the unenviable task of taking over for Ray Lewis. He's by far the highest-rated inside linebacker in this draft. Matt Elam could also be in the running to take over for Ed Reed.

ROUND 2:

33. Jacksonville: QB - Mike Glennon
Gus Bradley chooses the quarterback with the WCO background and the strongest arm. Glennon reminds me of Weeden, and the Jags could hope to maximize Blackmon's potential with a strong-armed QB

34. Kansas City: QB - Matt Barkley
Andy Reid gets his own West Coast QB, and Barkley could end up being a steal in the second round.

35. Philadelphia: SS - Matt Elam
Philly needs better production from the safety position. They squeezed what they could out of late-round pick Kurt Coleman, but would get a real playmaker in Elam. Could also be Tyler Wilson if Kelly wants to reboot at QB or Kyle Long to kick inside to RG taking over for Danny Watkins. The connection between Long and Kelly could make that the pick, but I'm going with Elam.

36. Detroit: DE - Alex Okafor
Talent-wise, Okafor should be long gone. If he or Jordan fell to Detroit in the second, it would be a no-brainer to take one of the two.

37. Cincinnati (from Oakland): Eddie Lacy
The Bengals haven't had a real feature back since Rudi Johnson's brief heyday. This pick is too obvious. A curveball could be Barrett Jones

38. Arizona: QB - Tyler Wilson
I really think we're going to see a run on QBs at the top of the second round. Wilson is the next man up.

39. NY Jets: RB - Giovanni Bernard
The Jets take the top WCO running back option here. Could have taken Nassib or Bray, but Bernard will be plug and play in their new WCO having played in a similar system at UNC.

40. Tennessee: OL - Barrett Jones
The Titans nab Jones to play OG, though local favorite Tyler Bray has to be really tempting to replace Locker.

41. Buffalo: WR - Justin Hunter
Buffalo is having a great draft as players at two positions of need have fallen to them. With their pick of Austin, Woods, and Hunter, Buffalo would have an enviable dillema. They go with Hunter over Austin because Stevie Johnson and last year's pick TJ Graham are already on the smaller side.

42. Miami: WR - Robert Woods
Miami rolls the dice that a LT will be available in round 3 and gets a much-needed target for Tannehill in the USC star Robert Woods.

43. Tampa Bay: TE - Tyler Eifert
After taking a corner in the first, they may double up with Poyer still available, but Eifert would be a terrific upgrade at TE for them.

44. Carolina: DT - Sharrif Floyd
Although they took a DT in the first round, Carolina could use two of them and if Floyd is rated much higher than this spot. They could take them back to back. This could also be the spot for Poyer.

45. San Diego: OT/OG - Kyle Long
The Chargers need to completely re-vamp their offensive line and could spend their first three picks on the OL. Kyle Long may be moved inside to OG, but the Chargers need help everywhere, so it's a fit.

46. St. Louis: OT - Oday Aboushi
St. Louis always needs help on the line, and they get more here.

47. Dallas: OT - Justin Pugh
Justin Pugh is selected to take over for Doug Free at RT. Could also be C Travis Frederick.

48. Pittsburgh: WR - Terrance Williams
Pittsburgh might consider Margus Hunt here, but instead grabs the uber-productive receiver from Baylor to replace Mike Wallace.

49. NY Giants: CB - Jordan Poyer
Corey Webster is done, so the Giants nab Poyer to take over opposite Amukamara. Could also use an OT or another LB, but Poyer is the best value here. LDE Margus Hunt could be considered.

50. Chicago: OG - Larry Warford
Tavon Austin is very tempting here, but after getting Cutler nearly killed two years in a row, the Bears don't mess around and help shore up their protection.

51. Washington: WR - Tavon Austin
A new deep threat for Griffin's unlimited arm. Should take over for Santana Moss before too long. Could also be a corner or safety.

52. Minnesota: DT - Kawann Short
Minnesota needs to reload the middle of their defense.

53. Cincinnati: FS - Phillip Thomas
Cincinnati needs youth and improvement at the safety position, so they snag Thomas here.

54. Miami (from Indianapolis): CB - Desmond Trufant
Miami uses the pick they got from trading Vontae Davis to replace him at corner.

55. Green Bay: C - Travis Frederick
Green Bay would be sweating this pick out... there are a couple of places Frederick could have gone, including two picks earlier to Cincy.

56. Seattle: DE - Margus Hunt
Chris Clemons tore his knee up in Washington in the playoffs. Hunt has a lot of potential and an unusual body type... seems like a fit for the Seahawks IMO.

57. Houston: OT - Justin Houston
Tyler Bray must be on Houston's mind here, but they go with his teammate and instant crowd favorite at RT.

58. Denver: RB - Montee Ball
Willis McGahee is done. Knowshon Moreno seems to be on a pitch count. Ronnie Hillman is too small to be a feature back. Montee Ball would be a good choice here in the absence of any good DTs.

59. New England: WR - Quinton Patton
New England needs a legitimate WR threat opposite Brandon Lloyd with Welker leaving. Quinton Patton would be a good addition.

60. Atlanta: OT - David Bakhtari
Sam Baker is a free agent and the Falcons only have $5 million in cap space for the upcoming season, so Atlanta needs a new OT.

61. San Fran: FS/CB Davis Amerson
San Fran will likely see Dashon Goldson walk this offseason and need another big safety alongside Donte Whitner. Amerson's size and ability to snag passes could make him appealing here.

62. Baltimore: OLB Khaseem Greene
The Ravens probably won't be able to re-sign all their free agents this year, and Daniel Ellerbe may have to be replaced at WOLB. Fortunately for the Ravens, as so often happens, a talented player at a position of need falls to them.

ROUND 3:

63. Kansas City: WR - Da'Rick Rogers
Da'Rick Rogers could remind the Chiefs fans of Dwayne Bowe, which would be good considering they'll probably lose him this offseason. Barkley needs a target here, and may get another later depending on who is available.

64. Jacksonville: CB - Logan Ryan
Jacksonville needs help at corner, and Ryan is thought of as a second round prospect.

65. Detroit: OLB - Arthur Brown
Detroit may want to give Travis Lewis another year at WOLB and go with another DE (Goodman, maybe Taylor) but I have them taking a leader for their defense in Brown.

66. Oakland: CB - Will Davis
Oakland can use just about any position on defense, so they add another piece with Davis.

67. Philadelphia: CB - Jamar Taylor
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a free agent and Asomugha may be cut. They need a corner so I'm giving them the next-highest rated guy.

68. Cleveland: CB - Blidi Wreh-Wilson
With Sheldon Brown likely on his way out, Cleveland needs to get bigger and more talented at corner.

69. Arizona: DE - Malliciah Goodman
Arizona is converting to a 4-3 defense, so they need a legit rushing DE. Goodman is a good option here with his great size and speed.

70. Tennessee: QB - Tyler Bray
In the third round, Bray looks like a good investment. Might not be an ideal fit for the WCO, but he has all the tools as a passer, and is probably the BPA.

71. Buffalo: OLB Chase Thomas
Switching back to the 3-4 defense, the Bills take Stanford LB Chase Thomas, who could play outside or inside in their LB corps.

72. NY Jets: OLB - Brandon Jenkins
The Jets could take OT Chris Faulk from LSU here to play RT or WR Aaron Dobson, but I have them taking the value in Jenkins as an edge rusher. Could also be QB Nassib, but with the reports that the Jets will lame duck Sanchez this year, I think their plans at QB involve drafting one next year.

73. Tampa Bay: QB - Ryan Nassib
There have been reports that the Bucs are not in a hurry to extend Josh Freeman. They could take Nassib if he falls this far as in this mock.

74. San Francisco (from Carolina): WR - Marcus Wheaton
San Fran has the luxury of being able to draft the BPA. Randy Moss is a Free Agent and Mario MAnningham could be cut. Wheaton fell a little bit in this mock due to WR depth in the draft.

75. New Orleans: OLB - Sean Porter
The Saints need to beef up their D and they hope Porter can add some of the playmaking ability at OLB that former Aggie Von Miller gave Denver.

76. San Diego: OT - Chris Faulk
Yes, this is the third OL in a row. The Chargers' line was a disaster last year and needs a total overhaul. Faulk started at LT for LSU, but will be slated to start at RT for the Bolts. An edge rusher like Simon or Carradine could also be in play.

77. Miami: RB - Andre Ellington
Reggie Bush is a free agent and Miami needs playmakers on offense. Ellington has electrifying speed and offers more as a receiver than Daniel Thomas.

78. St. Louis: WR - Cobi Hamilton
Brandon Jackson is an unrestricted free agent, but so are wideouts Amendola and Gibson. They just drafted Quick and Givens last year, but they still need another weapon on offense. Christine Michael is tempting for them, but they can wait for a RB until the next round.

79. Pittsburgh: RB - Christine Michael
Pittsburgh drafts a big RB to take over the starting spot in a muddied backfield. They have to improve their run game and Michael is a talented runner.

80. Dallas: OG - Alvin Bailey
Jerry Jones continues to boost his beleaguared OL with the Razorback blocker.

81. NY Giants: OT - Menelik Watson
The Giants take a leap of faith on the huge, athletic raw OT from FSU to help out on their left side. Could also go with another linebacker, but the LT crop gets pretty thin after Watson.

82. Miami (from Chicago): TE - Jordan Reed
Miami drafts another skill player, and is putting together a group of young playmakers around their young QB.

83. Minnesota: OLB - Jelani Jenkins
Minnesota drafts the athletic Jenkins to play WOLB in their defense. Also considered Stedman Bailey in case Harvin is gone from Minnesota.

84. Cincinnati: DE - Cornelius Carradine
Cincinnati has three free agent DEs this year, and they grab a first round talent with their third round pick.

85. Washington: FS - Bacarri Rambo
Like a lot of the league. Washington needs to improve their safety play. They could take on in the third.

86. Indianapolis: OLB - John Simon
Questions about Simon's ability to play in space dropped him in this mock, but Indy would gladly snatch him up to rush the passer opposite Mathis, as Freeney is a free agent.

87. Seattle: DT - Sylvester Williams
Seattle adds another interior lineman in Williams who is a good value here.

88. Green Bay: RB - Joseph Randle
Green Bay solves their RB problem with the multitalented Joseph Randle.

89. Houston: NT - Brandon Williams
The Texans replace Shaun Cody with the 340# Senior Bowl superfreak Brandon Williams.

90. Denver: DT - Akeem Spence
The Broncos improve their interior DL, and take Spence here to play tackle.

91. New England: WR - Stedman Bailey
With Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Danny Woodhead, and Deion Branch all unrestricted free agents, the Pats may have to draft a slot receiver in addition to an outside receiver, unless they want to start using 3 and 4 TE sets.

92. Atlanta: C - Khaled Holmes
Atlanta's 14-year veteran center McClure is a free agent.

93. San Francisco: OLB - Jamie Collins
San Fran has the ability to go with the BPA here as their team is stacked. They grab the Southern Miss rush OLB wholived in the backfield in college.

94. Baltimore: FS - Tony Jefferson
Ed Reed is old and a free agent. The Ravens draft his replacement in the third round while continuing to restock their defense.

95(c). Houston: ILB - Nico Johnson
Texans looking for an upgrade next to Brian Cushing take Johnson out of Alabama.

ROUND 4:

96. Jacksonville: OT - Brennan Williams
Jacksonville needs a new RT, and this could be the place to do it. OLB is also still a dire need for them.

97. Kansas City: CB - Robert Alford
Kansas City gets good value at corner in the 4th. Kenny Stills would be awfully tempting here, though.

98. Oakland: ILB - Jon Bostic
Oakland continues revamping their defense with Bostic.

99. Philadelphia: OG - Hugh Thornton
Another pick for the OL for Kelly's new club.

100. Detroit: DE - Devin Taylor
The huge, fast DE goes to Detroit to play opposite Okafor. Would also be a good place for Aaron Dobson.

101. Arizona: RB - Marcus Lattimore
Arizona is planning for the future, and takes the talented RB who might not be ready to start the season.

102. Cleveland: ILB - Kevin Reddick
In order to go back to a 3-4 defense, Cleveland will need to add a good ILB. Reddick is clearly the best of what's left, and they won't chance him lasting into the 5th.

103. Buffalo: FS - TJ McDonald
If Buffalo loses Jarius Byrd in Free Agency, they'll have to get a new Free Safety. McDonald isn't the ballhawk that Byrd is, but Byrd is hard to replace.

104. New York Jets: WR - Aaron Dobson
The Jets continue their offensive overhaul, taking the talented Dobson in the 4th.

105. Tennessee: SS - Robert Lester
The Titans complete their re-tooling of the safety position with Lester.

clevesteve #745763 01/24/13 08:12 PM
Legend
Legend
If Haslem and Banner are PR guys at heart...

We're totally going to trade back so we can draft Barkevious Mingo...right?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
clevesteve #745764 01/24/13 08:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Strong work.Very nice job for any mock let alone one this early.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
clevesteve #745765 01/24/13 08:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My thoughts:

Unless DeMontrae Moore is available then I would prefer one of the top Cb's in round 1. You have Millner gone (but even if he is available) I would prefer a trade down and then to draft Banks or Rhodes.

Round 3 I like the 34 OLB's that seem to be falling into this area (In the order you have them being drafted: Thomas, Greene, Brown, Jenkins, Porter, Collins and Lemonier did I miss him or did you?)

I am okay with an ILB here but I kind of like Vince Williams MLB FSU.

At some point we need to get a TE somewhere. The question is draft vs free agency vs both. A "sleeper" TE that I like is Toilolo from Stanford. Big 265# and can block which is great for our run game, good hands and also tall 6'8" and has shown himself to be a good red zone target - 10 td's the past 2 seasons. Will drop because he doesn't have the numbers because he was the #2 TE behind Ertz.

Jester #745766 01/24/13 08:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As an aside, I am reading that Ansah has not looked good at all. One guy went as far as to say that the next blocker he disengages from will be his 1st this week. Ouch. An intriguing prospect because he is a physical beastbut he is not doing himself any favors at the senior bowl. Certainly his stock will climb at the combine. Some are comparing him to JPP but I am starting to wonder if he is moreVernon Gholston - all physique no production. How much did he benefit from having the dynamic Kyle Van Noy (JR LB with 13 sacks last season) for offenses to worry about?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I know you're an apologist for Obama (despite your denials)

What on Earth are you basing this on?

Quote:

So... go play in the sand, little boy.

Ooh, internet tough guy.

Somebody's got some anger issues, obviously.

Just to clarify - and I do apologize if I'm wrong - aren't you the one who said that there was 'reasonable' suspicion that Obama was gay?

clevesteve #745768 01/24/13 09:07 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Isn't Werner strictly a 4-3 guy?

cfrs15 #745769 01/24/13 10:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

yep.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

yep.

womp-womp. I guess we're really screwed in the draft then. Guess I just went off his size being identical to Moore's and thought he must be convertible.

What would you guys do if the top 5 went like that?

clevesteve #745771 01/24/13 10:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Find anyone that's interested in Geno, trade down. Even if its two spots to Buffalo to grab a 3rd rounder.

Vaccaro is considered. Though its kind of high for him.

There is the possibility of us taking Geno afterall..

Dunno. That may be the worst case scenario you have lines up for us.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
clevesteve #745772 01/24/13 10:49 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Warmack or Jordan.

clevesteve #745773 01/24/13 10:50 PM
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Not sure if this would work so I'm asking you guys...

Would Avril fit into our new system?? If we take him from Detroit, would they then focus on DE with their first pick hopefully leaving Milliner for us at 6??

I think the first 5 picks of that mock (Star, Moore, Jones, Joeckel, Milliner) could be the first five off the board...in which case, I hope we can find a trade down!

JE159 #745774 01/24/13 10:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Avril is a 4-3 DE.

Dunno if he'd even want to transfer to OLB.

JE159 #745775 01/24/13 10:54 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Avril has only played in a 4-3. I think signing Phillips, Spencer, Barwin, or Kruger is more likely for us. With that said, I think Avril is going to get a huge contract from someone. Whether that team is the Lions remains to be seen. Pass rushers are very valuable and there aren't very many of them that are available at Avril's age and experience level.

PDR #745776 01/24/13 11:20 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Ooh, internet tough guy.

Somebody's got some anger issues, obviously.

Just to clarify - and I do apologize if I'm wrong - aren't you the one who said that there was 'reasonable' suspicion that Obama was gay?

He's also the one who said he was leaving the country if Obama won the election. Guess he's gettin' used to that old gay mulatto.....

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
cfrs15 #745777 01/24/13 11:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Ugh. I'm not too excited about Jordan, but I wasn't interested in Aldon Smith for the same reasons, so hopefully I'm just wrong (If the top 5 play out like that.) Or, we take a guard at 6.

clevesteve #745778 01/24/13 11:28 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Jordan is the type of guy who we can plug in immediately on pass rushing downs and say, "Go get the QB." And he will get double digit sacks his rookie year doing that. Then eventually he can learn to play all three downs.

ThatGuy #745779 01/24/13 11:40 PM
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the feedback. For you and jester, I was specifically avoiding any trades in this mock, and tried to do it "honestly" and take who I thought was the best fit for each team and not what would make later picks easier. Some were pretty tricky, especially the browns picks.

cfrs15 #745780 01/24/13 11:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Are you sure? His three seasons at Oregon he had 2.5, 7.5, and 5 sacks while playing with a big lead in nearly every game he played in.

clevesteve #745781 01/25/13 12:33 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Wow. I thought he had more production in college than that.

cfrs15 #745782 01/25/13 12:50 AM
Legend
Legend
Yeah, you can see why I'm leery of him.

If we go through the evaluation process and determine Werner can't play 3-4 OLB and we are converting our defense to that system, then my browns board goes:
1. D Moore
2. D Milliner
3. J Jones
4. S Lotuleili
5. C Warmack
6. S Vaccaro

I'm not happy after 4. Everybody outside the top 5 wants to trade down, though. Not sure what San Diego would be willing to give up to get Fisher, but if it's a 4th or better with that top 5 I'd take it.

clevesteve #745783 01/25/13 12:59 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we somehow get Moore I would be uber excited. I see no way he gets to our pick. I think, while he's a great player, Lotulelei is a little bit redundant for us. We already have a lot of depth on the defensive line. If Jones neck checks out I think he would be a pretty good option.

cfrs15 #745784 01/25/13 01:20 AM
Legend
Legend
I think we have great depth at NT, but I'm concerned about DE. That's where I'd have Star if it came to that. Would be a huge and worthwhile upgrade over Winn or Rucker IMO.

clevesteve #745785 01/25/13 01:53 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ugh. I'm not too excited about Jordan, but I wasn't interested in Aldon Smith for the same reasons, so hopefully I'm just wrong (If the top 5 play out like that.) Or, we take a guard at 6.

Not even Lombardi is dumb enough to draft a guard in the top 10. I know some don't like our guards but this OL is considered one of the best in the league by pretty much everyone.

Now for your mock, it is probably as good as anyone's out there. It is hard to do a mock right now because it is one big mess.

I think we will see 8 QBs taken in the first 3 rounds but I can really only justify 1 going in the first. The OL class is really deep but it is not an elite level class either. We will probably have 4 OT's maybe 5 go in the first but outside of the big kid from A&M, I don't see anyone of top 25 type value.

The RB and receiver class does not wow me, The corner position is really deep but again I havent seen anyone that says future star here either.

DL and 3-4 OLB is the star potential elite of this draft. Shaping up to be one weird draft.

clevesteve #745786 01/25/13 04:52 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Very nice mock CS

Guess we all agree on Blidi in the 3rd, but I think there's NO WAY Haslam will sit still there with Bray still available...he'll pull a Holmgren and I'd be "ok" with it, I just hope he doesn't make somehting stupid to get him like trading up for future picks or taking him in the 1st round after a tradedown

Back to your mock: For me, the "horror scenario" is already there if Milliner and Moore are gone which looks very, very likely now. Jones would be a great fit but there are multiple red flags with him. At 6 I don't know if we can risk to draft a player with that kind of medical condition, but on top of that it has been reported that he has a poor work ethic and that's an even bigger red flag to me, MAJOR red flag, read here: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Lazy pass rushers have had a high bust percentage. If millions of dollars can't motivate those kids to do the work, what will they do when you throw big bucks their way regardless? They'll go Charles Rogers on you

That said, I'd like to avoid that kind of boom/bust at 6. I'm not high on Werner, but he has the motor and a relatively high floor, so he makes sense if he looks convertable (how dumb does the D-switch already look? Unreal) Mingo, Jordan and even D.Jones might have higher ceilings but all 3 have lower floors. So, yeah...what to do now in this situation?

This will be the 1st test for our "consensus" group and will tell us if they have a clue about value: positional value, specific draft value and what the others are looking at. Whoever gets picked in the top 5, there should be some nice names at 6 to trade down, so if the "safe targets" are gone and our board has a couple of boom/bust pass rushers like Jordan and Mingo at the top, I EXPECT them to trade down, gain an additional Top 50 pick and THEN gamble on that boom/bust prospect, so at least you have another valuable pick to make up for it, if the player busts.

I agree with Mourg though, this is a strange draft. Normally around this time when the hype on prospects is on, there are numerous guys I really like us to draft, but this draft seems different to me. There really isn't much sure fire high-end talent around, LOTS of boom/busts, seemingly more than in year past, especially high up the boards.
Otoh, the mid and late round range is as filled with solid guys as always, so there's some talent around, especially with the 73 juniors that have declared.

All that said, my strategy would be to "punt" our 6th overall, IF all that is left are boom/bust guys. If we really have to go with a high ceiling/low floor guy, then trade down, collect as many 2nd to 5th rounders in this draft as available, or even better: a couple of mid rounders THIS draft and a Top 64 selection NEXT draft.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Just thought about prospects "I'm sold on" and specs "I'd avoid"...it's an extreme list and it's VERY hard to make any of them, but over the years they have proven to be great indicators for NFL success

Not many names right now:

Sold on:

DE/OLB Moore
CB Milliner
G Cooper
WR Patton
DT Hankins
P Allen

Very close to this list are:

WR K.Allen
WR T.Williams
CB Banks
CB Wreh-Wilson (speed concerns pushed him "down" a bit, but dude can bump'n'cover and I already hope he runs 4.55 or higher to make sure he gets to our 3rd)
CB Poyer
CB Robey
CB J.Adams
S Cyprien
T/G D.Thomas
DE/OLB Carradine
DT/DE B.Logan

That's pretty much it and yeah, I'm not sold on Warmack, who reminds me too much of Iupati: monster run blocker and liability in pass blocking. Cooper is my no1 G

My avoid list:

QB Dysert
DE Hunt (I kind like him and his "ceiling", but he's not only a boom/bust, he's also a project, so I would not even think about him in the top 4 rounds)
S McDonald
DE Gholston

#gmstrong

clevesteve #745788 01/25/13 06:58 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Tyler Bray must be on Houston's mind here, but they go with his teammate and instant crowd favorite at RT.

Is this WR Justin Hunter? or T/G Dallas Thomas?

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
How bout taking a flyer on this guy on day 3 for 3-4 ILB?

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/penn_state_linebacker_michael.html

Penn State's Michael Mauti reportedly sends handwritten letters to NFL GMs about how much football means to him

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Is this WR Justin Hunter? or T/G Dallas Thomas?

Yeah, that's Dallas Thomas. No idea how that happened, other than I was distracted. I have him marked as taken at 57 in my prospect file. Thanks, lol.

And thanks for the feedback, Django and Mourg.

Mourgrym #745791 01/25/13 04:36 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yo Amigo , don't ever start a sentence " Not even Lombardi is dumb enough to " .. Confession Time .. I'm one of the Guard knockers !

waterdawg #745792 01/25/13 05:58 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We won't draft a guard in the first 4 rounds but there is some good ones. The kid from Bama is a stud but anyone saying top 20 is reaching.

I really like Warford the guard from Kentucky. Mean nasty powerful. Doesn't have much range but he has the big old bubble butt and he will take your head off.

I dont see a trade down as possible. Teams trade up when there is a must have and I just aint seeing a must have other than the OT from A&M.

Mourgrym #745793 01/25/13 06:02 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Teams trade up when there is a must have and I just aint seeing a must have other than the OT from A&M.

Last year there were a ton of trade ups:

Washington moved up for RGIII. We moved up for Richardson. Jacksonville for Blackmon. Dallas for Claiborne. All within the top six picks.

If a team wants a guy they will trade up for him. Especially with the new rookie wage scale.

cfrs15 #745794 01/26/13 01:49 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We also have Miller. I know he looked really bad in his limited time towards the end of the season. Shurmer made a lot of players look bad. Maybe, with an off season of training and some coaching, he could be a future starter. If nothing else he could push Lavao and Pinkston. The O line is going to have to wait until next draft to be addressed. Short of bringing in a FA.

[Linked Image]
Mourgrym #745795 01/26/13 12:00 PM
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
The bad thing is that even if Geno Smith falls to 6 or another QB shines at the combine enough to entice a team to want him in the 1st the other teams in possible need of a QB pick 7,8,9. I think it goes Buf, Arz, and the Jets not sure exactly. Moving down to say no.9 doesn't seem like enough to get a 2nd rounder unless a team gets desperate. Maybe a team that needs a LT and Fisher continues to climb the boards.( If Joeckel is gone).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The bad thing is that even if Geno Smith falls to 6 or another QB shines at the combine enough to entice a team to want him in the 1st the other teams in possible need of a QB pick 7,8,9. I think it goes Buf, Arz, and the Jets not sure exactly. Moving down to say no.9 doesn't seem like enough to get a 2nd rounder unless a team gets desperate. Maybe a team that needs a LT and Fisher continues to climb the boards.( If Joeckel is gone).

Yeah most likely scenario to me would be if smith goes 1 or 2 then joeckel goes 4 to Philly. San Diego could definitely trade up from 11 to get ahead of Arizona at 7 for Fisher. Chicago might want to, but they are already down their 3rd round pick due to Brandon Marshall. We could possibly get their 1 next year to move down to 20. Giants at 19 are another possibility.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I gotta say...I've spent some time watching Smith, as well as many of the other QB's. I don't see any of them going at 6. I don't see any of them being worthy of going in the 1st round. One or two probably will because some dumb team is desperate enough to reach on a bum like Gabbert or a long-term, limited project like Locker or a relic like Weeden.

I've certainly seen nothing in Smith which tells me he's going to go in the top-10.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #745798 01/27/13 04:52 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
As long as we don't take him with our pick, I hope he goes in the first round.

Why not wish a lotto win on someone?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL Draft II

Link Copied to Clipboard