Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wonder about how much the drafts he conducted in Cleveland were "his" drafts, and how much they were Belichick's drafts.

I do remember the Craig Powell fiasco, and that was pure Belichick.He was irate because there was a player (who escapes me) that Bill really wanted, and he went insane when the player was taken ahead of the Browns pick. I think that Lombardi had input into the drafts with the Browns, but that Belichick was the final voice in the 1st round. (and maybe even 2nd/3rd)

There was a nice write-up about Lombardi in Philly, and how well his drafts went. Who knows?

Lombardi also worked with Al Davis in Oakland ...... so who knows how much power he had there. I would guess that Al Davis could override anything in player decisions.

I worry about Lombardi, the more I think about him, more because I don't know which players he had a hand in picking, and which were picked by Belichick/Banner/Davis. If he was run over by stronger personalities, then I worry about that. If he didn't really push for guys he strongly believed in, choosing to stand by while mistakes were made, that's as big a concern for me as anything else.

I dunno ...... I hope that Lombardi will be better than I think he will be.

+1

Relax people.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Banner: Lucky and pleasantly surprised at quality of people met with in interviews. Want to "build a team" and not just "pick players."

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Hire coach first, gm/player personnel person second. Talked w/ several talented people.

One person stood out as "extremely smart" and "phenomenal passion" and "great work drive." "tremendous knowledge of football."

Want an "outstanding player evaluator." Want "somebody that understood how to put together a team."

Gawd... we're screwed.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Banner: first hand knowledge on Lombardi's ability to evaluate players. witnessed Mike hire scouting staff. Lombardi has a good eye for scouts and for talent.

C
Legend
Legend
C
He interviewed for the 49ers GM a couple seasons ago.

Legend
Legend
Lombardi: Very humbled and honored to be back w/ Cleveland. Wants to show that he can build the team. "Stand in front of you different both personally and professionally."

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
God *Bleep* it.

Kick in the groin to start the weekend.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

So the 'top NFL people' said that we should hire Lombardi immediately.... and yet he's been out of the NFL for how long?? and hasn't been offerred a position for how long?

I was thinking the same thing...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Great analysis by Lombardi:

HOUSTON: If I had to pick one draft that I was not excited about,
this would be the one. But I might be too hard on my evaluation of Brian Cushing
and Connor Barwin. I just don't see how these two players can help a slow,
non-pass-rushing defense get better. Time will tell, but this is the kind of
draft that the Texans' front office better have right or it might not improve
their team in '09 -- and it might cost some people some
jobs.

WRONG

MIAMI: I think this draft is sneaky good. I Love
Pat White and love the fact he will compete for a job. He'll surprise people
with his accuracy and talent. This draft was a classic size/speed draft, which
is right up my alley.

WRONG

NEW YORK JETS: Yahoo Dave, I loved
it. They went quality over quantity and now have a quarterback who gives them a
chance to win. RB Shonn Greene is a big-time player who will help right away. I
have never met a more impressive person than Mark Sanchez; he's going to be
great. GM Mike Tannenbaum did a great job.

WRONG

NEW YORK
GIANTS: I'm not in love with Hakeem Nicks, but I always love the Giants' draft.
If there was one team that always had a direct hit on players I liked, it was
the Giants

WRONG

Also said he hated the Gordon, Trich and Weeden picks

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
"know expectations and reactions."

Q: how has looking in from outside sharpened his insight?

A: stayed in tune from NFL network. talked with many coaches. was able to step back and look at game a different way.

Q: challenge coming in since you're an analyst. Been critical of some draft picks. reach out to Gordon or weeden?

A: do different things in media. don't know gordon or weeden from "inside the house" approach.

Q: thoughts on weeden?

A: need to watch him. see practice tapes.

Q: but somewhat critical of him on radio.

A: different as analyst than as GM.

Legend
Legend
Lombardi is doing his best attempt at a two step to most of the questions.....

<><

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Over on the OBR they are saying he was on record as hating the Gordon pick as well. Also that he thought Kyle Wilson was a better DB than Haden at draft time that year.

The guy hates our entire roster it seems.

Legend
Legend
Q: how expect to be received?

A: my job is to get wins.

Q: impression of roster as a whole?

A: going to take time to "live the life of the team", watch practice, game, etc. Different from being an analyst.

Q: how come to fruition?

Banner: loosely joked about working with each other. brought him in for first time recently. in banner's mind always a candidate, but once others had a chance to meet him, they liked him.

Q: any input on HC?

Lombardi: no.

Q: worry about public outcry with this?

Haslam: try to make right decision, not just what's popular. we feel confident we got the right guy.

Q: who has "final authority" over roster choices?

Banner: group will collaborate and drive to consensus. won't get into who has final say. want to elaborate about Mike's history and qualifications since that's what you're asking about.

Mike worked in Cleveland. can dissect things because always get things right and wrong but team improved while Mike was here. Mike integral part of two drafts with Eagles. part of one of best drafts that went to 4 championship games. then went to Oakland and helped them get better.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That patting on our backs when "a player nobody liked turned out to be good" by Banner was hilarious....Can't wait for the transcript...that's MY new signature

Back to the "same ole Browns"

Yeah, no way J&J hire their buddies over proven guys "we'll evaluate everyone" my buttocks

Legend
Legend
Q: who makes final decision w/ football team?

Banner: would be more specific if a different answer. Will be a consensus.

Q: what were circumstances of Lombardi leaving philly if banner pleased with him?

A: (lost feed for a little bit). Wanted to put together a specific team with who was running team.

Q: who "breaks tie"?

A: won't do something if there's a tie. will try to get a consensus.

J
Legend
Legend
J
Banner says Lombardi is near the top of all talent evaluators in the NFL. Seriously?

Legend
Legend
Q: how change personally and professionally?

Lombardi: change way you scout, change beliefs. If same guy that was here 20 years ago, would have said shouldn't be hired.

Q: ever imagine coming back to Cleveland?

A: No, but "heart was broken when I left."

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Somebody posted in another thread all of Lombardi's drafts. I can't find it. If someone can repost, I want to read it again while chewing on broken glass and razor blades.

Legend
Legend
Q: perception that was Lombardi's job all along?

Haslam: met lombardi through mutual friends several months ago. But in serious consideration only last 10 days or so. Read paper every day, doesn't do any good to dispel rumors. Lombardi's name kept coming up in search for GM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm sure you can do that with any person in the media. He has to comment on every team. There are probably also many times he was correct.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Banner says Lombardi is near the top of all talent evaluators in the NFL. Seriously?

The Browns are being run by morons again, what did you expect?

Haslam, Banner, Lombardi and Chud in the war room....1st time hobby GM, clueless VP, gullible owner and rook HC....good luck with that.

Haslam pretty much said right now that Banner talked him into Lombardi, as "his name kept popping up and he said you need to go get him now"

Legend
Legend
Q: actively looking for a job?

Lombardi: Talked w/ 49ers a few years ago. But wanted somewhere that he fit.

Q: what has changed in personnel standpoint w/ league since 2007?

A: A throwing league. Grade a draft board differently

Q: how time in philly affect relationship with banner?

A: always had good relationship with banner.

Q: concerns w/ lombardi's comments on weeden and gordon?

Haslam: None at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C... Haslam has a blue suit with an orange tie....not bad !

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
While Lombardi is not the guy I was hoping for I am not ready to walk off the cliff just yet. I see no evidence that Lombardi had final say on the Raiders drafts the same goes for the Cleveland drafts with Bellicheck. Although I am not happy about the way he has bashed the Browns in recent years, the question is was he wrong in his opinions? I guess it can be said he was wrong about Gordon. But how often has he been wrong? I honestly don't know that's why I am asking.

Legend
Legend
Haslam: I like that Lombardi loves the NFL and football. Knew that Lombardi was going to go to work right after this press conference.

Q: Only picked 1 pro bowler w/ belichick.

A: Made mistakes in draft, no doubt. But need to learn from mistakes. Put together a team in 1994 that won 11 games and went to playoffs.

Q: something wrong with system?

A: different era w/ salary cap. different emphasis on certain positions.

Q: obviously wouldn't take job without evaluating roster. what do you think of what's here?

A: took this opportunity to work w/ Haslam and Banner and for organization. Need to do a "core evaluation" and not a "tv guy."

Q: players are sensitive. how take care of those guys?

A: my relationship with them will be going forward.

Legend
Legend
Q: Gordon tweeted "am I in trouble?"

A: He has nothing to worry about.

Q: talked about Brandon Weeden a lot (dammit, lost feed)

Legend
Legend
I missed the answer on weeden as well...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am starting to like Banner's sense of humor a bit more

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hope you're happy Toad

Legend
Legend
A: have to look at practices and other things, not just games.

Q: comfortable w/ scouting staff?

A: evaluate everyone on a daily basis. no predetermined looks.

Q: prior relationship with Chud?

A: no.

Q: relationship w/ Norv Turner. facilitate him being candidate and coaching search.

A: no. not involved.

Q: how ready to "jump in"?

A: really ready to get working.

Q: were you itching to get back?

A: liked NFLN, but always wanted to get back into football.

Q: decisions have become unpopular. more important to win because of that?

Banner: winning is only thing that ever mattered anyway. only reason we're doing this is for the thrill of victory. no more motivation needed.

Q: chip kelly to Philly?

Haslam: didn't think about it. concerned with what's going on here.

Legend
Legend
Q: comments from philly about Banner talking about Philly's GM

Banner: untrue. focusing on Browns.

Q: how is this "perfect situation"?

Lombardi: haslam, banner, chud, and the town.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Lombardi says he needs time to form an opinion of Brandon Weeden

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2013, 11:58 AM EST

As an NFL Network commentator, Mike Lombardi was critical of the Browns’ decision to spend a first-round draft pick on quarterback Brandon Weeden. So now that Lombardi has been hired to run the Browns’ front office, does that mean it’s time to find a new franchise quarterback?

At his introductory press conference as Cleveland’s new vice president of player personnel, Lombardi said he hasn’t made that decision yet. According to Lombardi, when he was evaluating Weeden from the perspective of a member of the media, he went through a different process than he will now go through as he evaluates Weeden from the perspective of the man whose job is to determine whether Weeden has what it takes to lead the team.

“It’s a different evaluation from a media perspective,” Lombardi said. “I think it’s going to take some time to study him. I’ve got to go back through and watch practice tapes. I think when you live in the building, I think you have a better understanding of the player moving forward, have an evaluation and do that. So it’s going to take some time for me to really formulate my final opinions of him. I think when you do media you certainly have commentary of games, but now I think it’s a different set of circumstances.”

Browns CEO Joe Banner declined to give a direct answer to the question of whether Lombardi has final say authority over Weeden or anyone else on the Browns’ roster, saying only that the front office and the coaching staff will be able to arrive at a consensus about any important decisions. Whoever has final say, the most important personnel decision to make will be finding the right quarterback.

From PFT

C
Legend
Legend
C
No one asked about Lombardi's relationship with Belichick. That is a major fail on the part of every reporter in that room.

There have been rumors that Lombardi has been helping Belichick gameplan the past couple of years. How was this not brought up?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Between this board & the countless people, backers clubs, & communities I've befriended on Facebook, I bet I don't see ONE positive comment about this.

I'll add my negative one.

Jimmy Haslam, i thought you were smart. You made all the right moves. You even sat in the Dawg Pound!

But now i see you are no different than the last Billionaire we had. Where are your brains?? EVERYBODY and i mean everybody, disagrees with this based on past history of this guy. A leopard doesn't change its spots as they say. As a business owner myself, I would never hire a guy that 1) hasnt been successful in the same position in the past and 2) nobody recommends!

Its done, now. We'll see what happens...

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Sometimes I just have to think that analysts, media, etc. throw things out there just because it makes a good story, not because it's really what they believe.

Now, did Lombardi not like Weeden? Possibly (if not probably). Does he want to cut Weeden? Who knows. We'll see, I guess.

All Pro
All Pro
i can not remember any moments where i was more disenchanted as a Browns fan... someone punch me in the nuts.

What in this man's background makes him worth of being hired? He is a talentless snake.

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont know the parameters Lombardi worked within at other stops.
He alone isnt going to be making decisions so I'm not going to go nuts.

How many GMs (or whatever he really is) have we had with that number of playoff wins and 2 SB appearances and one win?

Time will tell.

C
Legend
Legend
C
In the press conference they said that everyone recommended Lombardi. Unfortunately for us, I don't think they are taking our experts opinions into account when making hires.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sometimes I just have to think that analysts, media, etc. throw things out there just because it makes a good story, not because it's really what they believe.

Now, did Lombardi not like Weeden? Possibly (if not probably). Does he want to cut Weeden? Who knows. We'll see, I guess.

He's been quoted as saying Weeden/Richardson was a 'panic disaster' and Gordon was a 'wasted pick'.

web page

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Why??????????????????????????

JH & JB said they wanted to make this team perennial winners and yet they hire this dolt. I think they upgraded the team in going from Shurmur to Chud but they took a serious drop in going from Heckert to Lombardi. Looks like will be starting over again in 3 or 4 years after Lombardi runs this team into the ground. Way to go JH & JB you just alienated half your fan base. Maybe i will start watching the Colts more they're only about 3hours from me.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lombardi Hired as VP Player Personnel

Link Copied to Clipboard