Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Legend
Legend
C
Show me one credible source that has Mallett going to the Browns for a first round pick.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc..

I'm not surprised a bit...I knew all along that Banner had to have a weak GM that would allow Banner to run the draft, free agency and allow Banner final say on the roster. BTW, both Banner and Haslam are terrible liars.

I get the feeling Banner and Haslam view Browns fans as stupid and willing to choke down every explanation they try to feed us...BTW, were their any follow up questions allowed beyond the handful seen in the Browns video???

Joe Banner today, is an egomaniac on steroids now that he has what he has wanted for years...total control of a football team. He tried to manipulate his way into control of the Eagles and Andy Reid had to fight Banner for control of the roster. Banner went as far as using his power over contract negotiations to low ball contract offers to players he did not want on the team, even if they were players Reid wanted resigned.

Joe Banner earned his reputation as the most hated man in Philly, so it's not like Browns fans are ragging on the guy when pointing out his history...it is what it is.

In one piece I read, Banner admitted to taking his negotiating tactics too far and acknowledging the need to back off his hardball tactics. I can only assume he was referring to those negotiations that cost the Eagles some very good football players who opted to pursue free agency rather than signing a low ball contract Banner negotiated.

In the future, I doubt that Banner will ever admit to mistakes or an error in his judgement, but if and when something goes wrong...and it will... Lombardi or someone else will be answering for it, not Banner.

Joe Banner is a very vindictive, manipulative individual who has a screw or two lose and Browns fans are stuck with him. Imho, Joe Banner suffers from something called Napoleon syndrome, which is a complex is a describing a psychological phenomenon which is said to exist in persons, usually men, of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, which is a sort of compensation for the subjects' stature.

Regardless, the Browns are stuck with this guy because Jimmy Haslam wants it this way. If Banner is able to modify his behavior...which I'm not about gamble on...but if he is able to allow the franchise to operate in a somewhat normal fashion without his micro-management, it might work. But everything falls on Banner's shoulders now and he will be held accountable by the Browns fans and media.

This team is 2 yrs away from contending for a playoff spot and if Banner and crew are "just average" at doing their jobs, this team will be contending in 2014. The heavy lifting has already been done, with the foundations on offense and defense established.

It looks as though we have hired a decent offensive coaching staff who have a record of teaching and developing young players...just what this young offensive unit needs. On the defensive side, it's still unsettled as to whom will be coaching...need to either keep what we have or find someone as good as what we have.

That does not mean that Banner and crew can't screw it up though...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Show me one credible source that has Mallett going to the Browns for a first round pick.

What are you the police?

I said there was talk of it... I didn't say it was going to happen.

I gave you two links already and there are others out there.

b/r is not that reliable but espn is

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

What are you the police?

No. I just thought we weren't allowed to post things with having actual facts to back it up.

Quote:

You gave me one link to Bleacher Report. After two seconds of looking I discovered that that article was based on a Tweet from some dude on Twitter who claims to be a "former NFL operations coordinator." As Manti Te'o will tell you, you should believe everything on the internet.

The other link you gave me did not say anything about any compensation whatsoever.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, I've now had the opportunity to sit down and listen to the Presser introducing Lombardi

I don't feel any better really, but I see where he may be right about a couple of things.

We, as people, grow and learn from our mistakes. Hard to argue that really. and he did make a solid point about when he was here with Belichick about how they went from no CAP to a Salary Cap and how it had an effect on what they did and how they did it.

I still don't see him being the right guy but what we all want is someone that makes that final decision and apparently, that's not the way it's set up on the drawing board. Looks to me as if it's going to be group thought.

For what it's worth, I like the model where one man is responsible but who takes input from various sources in the room.

But that's just me.

maybe this "OF ONE MIND" thing can work.

So, I'm backing off the edge of the cliff, I'm not going to jump.. Call back the rescue squads..

I still have the feeling, no matter what is said, that Chud and Turner and the DC will have final say on what they want.

I really don't believe that Lombardi will be any more than a paper pusher.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

What are you the police?

No. I just thought we weren't allowed to post things with having actual facts to back it up.

I did... espn.

Mr. Mall Cop

Quote:

You gave me one link to Bleacher Report. After two seconds of looking I discovered that that article was based on a Tweet from some dude on Twitter who claims to be a "former NFL operations coordinator." As Manti Te'o will tell you, you should believe everything on the internet.

The other link you gave me did not say anything about any compensation whatsoever.

yes it did minus a specific pick

C
Legend
Legend
C
The requirements for posting on Bleacher Report (I just signed up and they asked if I wanted to write for them. Which is weird, because I am not qualified to write about sports for a living):

Quote:

The Standards

The B/R Writer Program isn't for everyone. In selecting new members for admission, we subject all prospective candidates to a rigorous review process—with particular emphasis on three core qualities:

Talent

Our acceptance rate generally hovers at or below 15 percent, which means only the smartest analysts and most polished stylists get through the front door.

Passion

Numb-hearted hacks need not apply—we're looking for journalists who can write with intelligent enthusiasm about their favorite teams and sports.

Experience

No publishing credits on your résumé? Try getting your feet wet with a local or campus newspaper—or even a personal blog—before you throw your hat in the ring at B/R.

As should go without saying, we never make guarantees to individual applicants, and many hopefuls go home disappointed. But the fact remains that the best of the best really do get invited to join the party—and those who've made the trip will tell you the journey is well worth the effort.

The Shot

Bleacher Report is the most dynamic digital media outfit on the planet. Since 2006, we've helped countless contributors hone their skills and pursue their goals—which is exactly what we'll do for you if you're able and willing to meet us halfway.

We won't beg you to join the B/R Team. Neither will we sweet-talk you, or strong-arm you, or make any promises we aren't entirely prepared to keep. We will, however, identify the five reasons we believe any serious sportswriter should bet his or her future on B/R's continued success...and then we'll leave it to you to agree or disagree as you plot your next career move.

Awesome.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I need that!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
what about espn?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Just give it up. You said that there's talk of Lombardi trading the sixth pick for Mallett, and your source is Jamison Hensley speculating that it wouldn't be unreasonable for others to speculate that Lombardi might be interested in acquiring Mallett.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
general reply....

I'm not really worried about lombardi.

Mainly because I can do nothing about it.

Secondly, because i'm still gonna watch anyway...can't help myself.

and thirdly...most of these guys get some picks right, and some picks wrong...

Since Lombardi already made all of his "wrong" picks...so i figure he will get the majority from here on out "right" so it all evens out in the end

That makes sense right? Or should I take 480 South? lol

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
My thought on Lombardi is that he has spent a lot of time getting fired...but since then has spent a lot of time learning. In a role where he doesnt have the final say...thats fine.

Let Chud, Banner, and Lombardi work together on the picks...I'm fine with that.

Lombardi has been bad yes...but he has to have learned in his time away.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No doubt experience has taught him something. Plus we really don't know how much say he even had under bellicheck and davis.

Heck for all we know they are going to wait to see who he recommends and then pull those picks off the board...inverted drafting input so to speak

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Heck for all we know they are going to wait to see who he recommends and then pull those picks off the board...inverted drafting input so to speak

"So you're saying there's a chance...!"

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Let Chud, Banner, and Lombardi work together on the picks...I'm fine with that.

Sorry... that just makes me cringe.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

LOL

The Browns Facebook post is getting similar sentiments of ire. This hire has almost consensus negativity and pessism from the fanbase. I'm yet to see a single positive statement about Lombardi in this role. Neutral "wait and see" is a vast minority and as good as it gets. Not often you see that, probably paints its own picture.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

exactly... it's a bunch of crap rumor started by Boston journalists who should be reporting on the AFC championship game...

if... huge if... we were dumb enough to actually trade the #6 (plus more) for a backup QB with 4 attempts this year I think I would officially lose all faith in our FO.

thankfully, I honestly think Chud can get a lot out of Weeden and it doesn't fully matter what Lombardi wants (if what Banner says about consensus is true)... I believe in Chud... I'm warming up to Banner... hopefully they can make up for what I feel Lombardi lacks...

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

what about espn?

When I sign up for ESPN they don't ask me if I want to write articles for them, that's for sure.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL

The Browns Facebook post is getting similar sentiments of ire. This hire has almost consensus negativity and pessism from the fanbase. I'm yet to see a single positive statement about Lombardi in this role. Neutral "wait and see" is a vast minority and as good as it gets. Not often you see that, probably paints its own picture.

I'm honestly hoping we're all wrong... as Jimmy and Joe have said multiple times... as long as we win nothing else matters...

Unfortunately I don't like Lombardi from what I've seen/read and I don't know enough about Joe and Jimmy to trust their judgement... only time will tell... thankfully I love our coaching staff right now... hopefully we can get this thing turned around quickly.

<><

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
And now you can add me to the Banner hate list.

Worst hire in the History of the Cleveland Browns?

you had a good run Hank.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

TW, were their any follow up questions allowed beyond the handful seen in the Browns video???

It seems as thought there was. Mary Kay Cabot and Nate Ulrich both had more information after the press conference was over.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
More questions than answers .. Was hiring Lombo a favor or a pay off for something ? .. Have to believe that the fan reaction is more than Jimmy expected ; in fact might have him scratching his head and muttering " What the ---- , Over " ..

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
There's no way were dumb enough to trade the #6 pick in the draft for Mallet, is there?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'd agree with you, but Michael Lombardi.

you had a good run Hank.
S
Legend
Legend
S
It's hard to deny the fact that Mike Lombardi carries some serious baggage with him, plus the fact that he has been out of the league for 5 years. I know he's still involved with the league, but that's from the media side.

He's obviously rubbed some of our local media the wrong way, and some of it is probably justified.

But I'm gonna give the guy a shot. I believe in second chances. I think people can learn from mistakes. Maybe this time around he uses those mistakes to his advantage to make better decisions.

I also think that he has a very soft spot for this orgniazation. If you read any of his stuff over the last few years, you can tell that he's been very hard on the team, almost in a tough love kind of way. Like a lot of us are on this very forum after a disappointing loss.

I'm putting a positive spin on this, but as mentioned, what other choice do we have? This is our guy. Just like with politics. I don't do politics, but I support my president. I'm behind Mike Lombardi and I want him to do well. Seems like certain reporters are already starting to dig his grave.

It's been rumored that he was already doing behind the scenes work with the team. If he had something to do with the hiring of Chud, Norv, and Ray Horton, I think that's already getting off to a great start. You have a good young offensive mind, surrounded by very good coordinators. We also have two very good playcallers in the building. The only good play caller we had over the last few years was showing up late and leaving early, and ended up waltzing out of town with a giant truck of money.

The way I see it. All these guys with power, Chudzinski, Lombardi, Banner... If we aren't seeing results within a few years, Jimmy is going to run them out anyway.

Banner has said a lot of things, but right now I remember him most for saying he didn't believe in 5 year plans, and that he probably wouldn't be around if it took 5 years. There are enough pieces here where we should start seeing results much sooner. We saw slight improvement last year, but clearly not enough to convince a new owner who had new ideas anyway.

I say give 'em a shot. If you're one of those people rooting against him and the Browns simply because you don't like him/don't want him around, I feel bad for you.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Haden is not a lockdown CB.Thats the biggest myth on the Browns roster.
He allowed Plaxico Burress,all 35 years of him, to score a TD.

OH MY GOD, SOMEONE SCORED ON HIM HE MUST SUCK.

Quote:

A.J Green smoked him numerous times this year.
so from young to over the hill,Haden has been picked on this year.

Oh really, cause we lost the first game when Haden wasn't playing and ended up beating them the second time when Haden was playing. We also made Andy Dalton look like god the first time we played. Another thing, AJ Green is a top 3 receiver in the NFL.

Quote:

IMO,he doesn't come up with enough INTs or big plays for a CB taken in the top 10.
42 career games, 9 INTs and ZERO TDS.

How often do they throw the ball in his direction and how often is he up against the teams #1 receiver?

Honestly, the one thing that pisses me off about this board is the undeserved hate towards Joe Haden. He's the best player on the team and the people who think with the ridiculously stupid offensively based rules in todays NFL that there is such thing as a guy not going to give up a big play every once in a while are delusional.

Last edited by LittleGregBig; 01/18/13 06:08 PM.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Haden is a hell of a player. I think the term "shut down corner" is a bit ridiculous. With the way this league goes, everyone gets beat, even Revis.

I personally think Haden can step his game up. Lots of room for maturity, but you can't deny the Browns look so much better with him out there vs not. I know depth plays a role, but the fact is, he makes a huge difference.

I do think you'll see a really good Joe Haden next year. I think he learned from his mistake. He defintely set the team back at the beginning of the season. We all knew they were facing an early meat grinder, and him going out was just the worst thing that could have happened.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Haden got played like a rag-a-muffin in the second Baltimore game against Torrey Smith.

There are some things he does well but he also gets out of position too often and he bites on things that aren't there.

He's not even close to a lock down corner. But I'd put him in the Top 50% of starting CBs. Many, many players better than him out there.

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
On Lombardi...

Kind of have the same feeling as when we drafted Owen Marecic.

I thought "How nice. A stiff replacing a very good FB. And we have the honor of forfeiting a 4th round draft pick to boot. Great!"

This is depressing.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I say give 'em a shot. If you're one of those people rooting against him and the Browns simply because you don't like him/don't want him around, I feel bad for you.

my sentiments exactly

#gmstrong
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

my sentiments exactly

It's hard to understand why we got rid of Heckert for Lombardi after the way Heckert has molded this roster.

Legend
Legend
me too. and i think about 90% of the posters on here think Haden is one of our cornerstones.

*edit* Plus, if you think Haden gets crap, you should have been here when Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald were our corners.

Last edited by clevesteve; 01/18/13 06:51 PM.
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Maybe Lombardi has changed.

Maybe Banner has changed.

Maybe Mallet has changed.

Maybe Derek Anderson has changed.

Maybe obama will change.

They are who we know they are.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
N
Legend
Legend
N
well, like it or not, Haden IS one of our cornerstone players. he's going to be a CB for us for awhile.

he gambles too much, plays lazy some of the time, and has other issues, but he's the best we have out there and he's pretty good most of the time.

i love how he plays the bigger guys. would love to get a lockdown speed CB to cover the Torrey's while Haden covered the Boldins.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think he is very good, I was just responding to LGB's post about Haden's haters.

N
Legend
Legend
N
see what I get for only reading the latest post

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok....I read the first 6-7 replies and had to fast forward 4-5 pages to say, The sky isn't falling.

Good gravy.

I didn't think the guy was bad his first go. I think some of the questionable picks were coach generated, though I'll have to go back and check the history on who exactly we picked and who was the coach at the time.

So, to cover my bases , even if he sucked then, it doesn't mean he does now.....I don't care how he stacked up on the NFL Network....I have it but have watched it more than 10 minutes maybe 3 times....when the Browns were the team aired.

Here is my feeling....Lombardi might be the last link on the chain on who we select. I think Chud will have a larger say on who is hired. Especially if he can win some games.

Much like Marty had the largest say, Chud will have the largest say if he wins.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/01/18/jim-nantz-says-fans-dont-really-know-lombardi/

Uh...well...Jim Nantz definitely doesn't like Tony Grossi...

you had a good run Hank.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just clicking.

I'm not sure why many people think he could have changed. Look at his post draft analyses alone. The guy's a MORON.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

There's no way were dumb enough to trade the #6 pick in the draft for Mallet, is there?

No, not is a straight up way.

I could see Mallet, a swap of first rounders and picking up NE #2 pick.

That could happen if Mallet is a target.

Seriously, EVERYBODY, let's gain some balance here. The world hasn't ended.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lombardi Hired as VP Player Personnel

Link Copied to Clipboard