Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#749722 01/21/13 11:53 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Does he end the perception that "running QBs" can't win a Super Bowl?

Legend
Legend
I believe that anything can happen once. I don't expect him to be able to beat the Ravens ...... but hopefully he will.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
They can win if they have the smarts of a pocket passer. Kaepernick is what Tebow would be with proper throwing mechanics.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No, because he's not a running QB.. he's a very good throwing QB who can also run.. the 180 yards rushing against the Packers was an anomaly... through the regular season he threw for 4x more yards than he ran for.. and had a QB rating throwing the ball over 98...

I think what we are seeing this year with RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick and even Luck to a lesser example is that the dual threat QB is the wave of the future. I think there will always be room for a pocket guy like Brady or Manning but I'm still not sure there will ever be room for a Tebow (as much as I love the guy) who runs it but can't throw it...

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

They can win if they have the smarts of a pocket passer. Kaepernick is what Tebow would be with proper throwing mechanics.

This!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dude hasn't even started 10 games in this league...I'm far from sold on him as a passer, although he's been much better than I ever thought he'd be. Throwing to Moss, Crabtree and Davis sure helps though and having Gore as a RB in combination with an excellent run blocking OL in the RedZone too. His passing was all on the back of the running game, off of PA...their running and 2nd half D won the game, not Kaep...he was asked to manage it and did so perfectly

He's a perfect fit for the kind of OL they have...hats off for the courage of taking him as early as they did and developing him properly

Let's see how he looks with a big head and DCs with footage of him to evaluate for months

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

No, because he's not a running QB.. he's a very good throwing QB who can also run.. the 180 yards rushing against the Packers was an anomaly... through the regular season he threw for 4x more yards than he ran for.. and had a QB rating throwing the ball over 98...

I think what we are seeing this year with RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick and even Luck to a lesser example is that the dual threat QB is the wave of the future. I think there will always be room for a pocket guy like Brady or Manning but I'm still not sure there will ever be room for a Tebow (as much as I love the guy) who runs it but can't throw it...

Since when did Donovan Mcnabb, Randall Cunningham, etc rush for as many yards as they threw?

Yet people constantly said those type of guys couldn't win a Super Bowl just because they didn't have one and they blamed their dual threat abilities for them coming up short

The revisionist history on this is laughable

The label wasn't just for Joe Webb it was for accomplished guys who made multiple pro Bowls throwing for far more yards than they ran

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Doesn't matter, some bum in the league office with a computer set the script last night for how the Ravens will win... the refs will all get their copy by this evening.

Ray Lewis will have his hap-hap-happiest dance into the sunset since Bing Crosby tap danced with Danny bleepin' Kaye.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe that anything can happen once. I don't expect him to be able to beat the Ravens ...... but hopefully he will.

Considering Dilfer, who couldn't run or pass won one, yeah, anything can happen once.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The revisionist history on this is laughable

Revisionist history on what? How do you know what I thought of McNabb and Cunningham?

Quote:

Since when did Donovan Mcnabb, Randall Cunningham, etc rush for as many yards as they threw?

Yet people constantly said those type of guys couldn't win a Super Bowl just because they didn't have one and they blamed their dual threat abilities for them coming up short

I don't know who these "people" are.. I never once said those guys couldn't win a super bowl because they ran too much..

McNabb didn't run the ball that much, heck Steve Young ran the ball for more yards than McNabb usually and he did ok in the super bowl... Cunningham, IIRC, ran a lot early in his career and was hurt a lot later in his career, it's hard to say those two things aren't connected.. but Cunningham wasn't the best pocket passer (only 2 years in his career over 90 in QBR) and NEEDED to rely on his running more than the other 2...

Not to mention, the league has changed.. yes there was a day when passing too much was no way to win in football... having your QB run was no way to win in football.. you had to have a great defense to win in football.. lot's of the things people used to think have been revised out of what is commonly believed today..

In fact, I heard Coach Steve Logan (ECU, Boston College, Tampa Bay Bucs) on the radio a few days ago talking about running QBs.. he was referencing a quote Aaron Rodgers had made stating that this whole running QB thing and the read option is a fad that will never last and will never work in the NFL... Coach Logan said that back around 1990 he had Jeff Blake as his QB at ECU.. I don't know whether he "invented" it or not but they ran a ton of no-back sets and Blake threw for a lot of yards and had ECU ranked in the top 10... when NFL scouts would come to watch film almost every one of them told Logan that the no-back set would never work in the NFL, QBs would get killed, etc... Then he talked about how many no-back sets the Packers ran in their first playoff game and it was a lot.. So Rodgers is the product of something that was once considered a fad that would never work in the NFL... funny how that works..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Peens been saying this for several years now.. looks like he was right. Got to give the devil his due

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can't stand the way this kid dresses or all the tats BUT I really enjoyed watching him play. I found myself asking why we can never get it right at QB?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1st String
1st String
How has he dressed if you overlook his tattoos? He is one heck of a player though!

April Showers and Easter 2024!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I wonder how many of these folks writing that they believe that 'anything can happen once' are the same folks that wanted the Browns to trade everything, including a 4th first round pick to acquire RG3.

I don't mean to cast aspersions on anyone, just wondering 'out loud'.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Peens been saying this for several years now.. looks like he was right. Got to give the devil his due

Thanks, even if you think I am the devil.

It's not predicting anything. It's being observant to trends.

If everybody in HS and college is playing a spread type O, it won't be long before the NFL goes that way unless they open their own minor league of football and are willing to take the time and money to develop players the way they want to play.

As it is, the NFL takes the players developed for them in the NCAA....and that is for the most part spread option football.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
I find it absurd that analysts/talking heads continue to lump in the Pistol Offense with the Read Option Offense as if they're one and the same. Honestly, you can run the Pistol Offense without having to implement any sort of Option Offense elements. You can have your typical drop back QB run the Pistol Offense and you'd be just fine.

For Colin Kaepernick in SB 47, I believe he has a very legit chance of beating Ray Ray and the "sometimes" slow Ravens D. There are some plays where the Ravens D has looked slow. I believe that if Colin gets into an alley on a run, he can run right by the Ravens LB's.

I believe one key in SB 47 will be the 49ers O-Line (which weighs almost 2000 lbs. combined lol) versus the Ravens Front 7 in the running game.

Legend
Legend
Peyton Manning was using the Pistol this season.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

How has he dressed if you overlook his tattoos? He is one heck of a player though!

Oh it's the straight brim cap, the hair cut and the (not sure what it's called) Hip Hop style of dress. My daughter dates a boy (NOT A MAN) that dresses like that an has an attitude, that's probably why I don't like it. Just makes me want to smack the hat off his head. Stupid on my part, but I don't care really.

BUT AGAIN, I love the way the Kid plays. He can pass, he can move and he fights to win.

Legend
Legend
his haircut? hahaha... dude has a normal haircut man. and is VERY clean cut. and i have never seen him dress "hood."

different backgrounds do different things..

some people wear slightly oversized flat brimmed hats.. some people wear hats with fish hooks hanging from the brim... at the end of the day its still a hat/cap.

real typical kind of thinking you got there bud.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Oh it's the straight brim cap, the hair cut and the (not sure what it's called) Hip Hop style of dress. My daughter dates a boy (NOT A MAN) that dresses like that an has an attitude, that's probably why I don't like it. Just makes me want to smack the hat off his head. Stupid on my part, but I don't care really.

BUT AGAIN, I love the way the Kid plays. He can pass, he can move and he fights to win.

Not a fan of tats at all but generally, he seems like a well dressed kid

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ck&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.dmQ&biw=1440&bih=756&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=A5D-UPCPNY_a8wTX94DwAw

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yea, I know his tats are basically Scripture related, which is better than hood/thug related or paying homage to his 5 kids that he never sees by 4 different women.. but in the end, I'm not a fan of covering yourself with tats, even if you have better intentions.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wonder how many of these folks writing that they believe that 'anything can happen once' are the same folks that wanted the Browns to trade everything, including a 4th first round pick to acquire RG3.

I'll let ytown answer for himself but I think you taking his "anything can happen once" comment out of context as it relates to running QBs and what constitutes a "running QB" and their ability to win a super bowl..

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I find it absurd that analysts/talking heads continue to lump in the Pistol Offense with the Read Option Offense as if they're one and the same. Honestly, you can run the Pistol Offense without having to implement any sort of Option Offense elements. You can have your typical drop back QB run the Pistol Offense and you'd be just fine.

Alt had implemented the Pistol at Nevada w/o the read-option until he got Kaep. He then added it into it and is basically what SF has been running. You can run the Pistol without the read-option, but it is specifically that read-option play with it that has been so dangerous for the 49ers this post-season.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Peyton Manning ran some pistol this year.

I love the formation because it gives you a ton of options.

N
Legend
Legend
N
and Kurt Warner was apparently the inadvertent inventor (sort of). Ault was being interviewed by a weekend ESPN show before the NFC championship game and he said he noticed that Warner w/ the Rams seemed to float up towards the line more than most QBs. that he wondered what could be done by doing that more drastically and then came upon what Tom Kaczkowski did at Northern Ohio (which is what became the Pistol Offense).

my main point above though was the media is mentioning the read-option so much with it because that is the element of it that is making Kaep even more dangerous from it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'll let ytown answer for himself but I think you taking his "anything can happen once" comment out of context as it relates to running QBs and what constitutes a "running QB" and their ability to win a super bowl..

Yep. A "running QB" is a very rare thing in the playoffs.

Plus, as many have mentioned, Kaeperkick is more than just a runner at QB. He completed 62% of his passes in the regular season, with 10 TD and 3 INT. He averages 8.32 yards/pass attempt.

He also runs .... but that doesn't seem to be his primary game. (except against the Packers, where he ran wild)

One other thing ..... pocket QBs tend to improve as they get older. I wonder how many running QBs will survive until their 7th, 8th, or 9th years, when pocket QBs who last that long tend to do so because they are still getting better.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I think a mobile QB as he gets older can get better at passing and therefore run less.

While a pocket passer is always stuck in the poker.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

That sounds painful.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
hey, all....

columbus got jokes!

"too many notes, not enough music-"
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Kaepernick has one of the top 5 arms in the entire league (velocity wise).

It's scary to think about how good he can be with a few more years under Harbaugh for as much of a tool I think he is.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That sounds painful.

<James T. Kirk>
AUTOCORRRRREEEEECCTT!!!
</James T. Kirk>

S
Legend
Legend
S
I hate this Super Bowl, I really do. I'm already sick of it.

I have nothing against the Harbaughs, I think they're both tremendous coaches, and it's not their fault, but we are never going to hear the end of it. Hey did you guys know that the coaches of both teams are brothers?

Colin Kaepernick. The constant talking about how the read option is going to take over the NFL and blah blah blah. Don't we do this every 5 or 6 years? These guys don't last. They show up big right away, they get figured out, they take a beating, and then they become Michael Vick.

Ray Lewis. I don't watch much ESPN as it is, because their programming is a joke, but they have assured me of avoiding it altogether. I'll stick to local programming, and watching movies with my free time.

I'm not a huge Super Bowl guy anyway. I think it's the most overrated sporting event of the year. It's more depressing than anything else, because it's the last football game for a long time, and on top of everything else, it shows how far away we are as Browns fans. We've made up some ground, but man we still have quite a ways to go.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Colin Kaepernick wins ... I will be very happy

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I'm going to be watching for the commercials this year.

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
If the 49'ers win, Colin Kaepernik will just be one player on that team.

Quarterbacks don't win championships, teams do. If they could, Kosar would have won one. I think just one. But still one.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the 49'ers win, Colin Kaepernik will just be one player on that team.

Yeah right.

If the 49ers win, it's because Baltimore couldn't stop Kaepernick (more throwing the running also), he'll be MVP, and be pegged as the next great QB etc etc...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yep. AND I EXPLAINED WHY I FEEL THIS WAY, so pull your britches up and get along... nothing to cry about here.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yep. AND I EXPLAINED WHY I FEEL THIS WAY, so pull your britches up and get along... nothing to cry about here.

I got my big boy pants on.. you explained urself. Well let me explain to you that I think its unfair to feel a certain way about someone based on someone else. That commonly leads to stereotypes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

some people wear slightly oversized flat brimmed hats.

They started with gangbanger's I believe is what he is getting at.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

some people wear slightly oversized flat brimmed hats.

They started with gangbanger's I believe is what he is getting at.

are u serious? please tell me u meant to put that in purple. omg.. this world is a mess if thats what everyone thinks. It's a part of BLACK culture, not gangbangers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2012 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2012 If Colin Kaepernick wins

Link Copied to Clipboard