Hall of Famer
H
Can I have the soup?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Jones is .001 ahead of Milliner in whatever ranking system we use.

Ok you got me there on that .001 factor...lol

Of course I was being facetious and I know they have very elaborate ranking systems that I won't pretend to understand.. but I doubt anybody goes purely BPA.. if they did the whole draft would take about 2 hours... need, what else is available in the draft, potential trades.. I would assume those are considered for each pick..

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This is a good place to put this.
Was listening to Polian on the radio (he is a very good spokesperson/personality on the radio,but on TV he is very bland) he mentioned that the Colts,as well as every team runs computer aided mocks again and again.He mentioned that on avg.they where 85-88% correct thru 3 rounds.
Now that Al Davis is gone and Cleveland has pros in the war room that number should go well into the 90's.
Sorry Held,the soup is for the people who have experienced winter only,so,and I don't know why this tickles me so to say it,but
No soup for you.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Texas A&M

Damontre Moore/OLB-DE: As posted earlier Moore was timed between 4.27s-to-4.34s in the short shuttle, 7.07s in the three cone and completed 19 reps on the bench. He then completed position drills to mixed reviews. Overall people we spoke with said Moore did not look all that athletic as he was straight up and down in bag drills and was not very fluid moving about the field. We were alerted to the fact that Moore evidently tweaked his hamstring during the 3-cone, which he was not scheduled to run. Fact is people from Texas A&M were not surprised by Moore’s poor forty time or the fact he’s come across as marginally athletic; that’s the type of prospect he is though everyone points out he’s a tremendous football player. Since the combine one name keeps popping into my mind when comparing Moore’s athletic workouts versus his play on the field; Terrell Suggs.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Suggs was also the all time sack leader in NCAA history. Not exactly the best comparison.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If there are to be positive posts on this guy, they are to come from me.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Moore as a player. I am not so concerned with his combine numbers. What gives me pause is that I heard that there are rumors about his mental makeup. Supposedly a weird dude with possible psychological issues.

For the record, I have no idea what the actual rumors are or if they are true. I am sure that the NFL teams have investigated those rumors and will know one way or the other. If the rumors are false then I would have no issues with drafting Moore. If they are true then I would stay away, far away.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Can I be the Damontre Moore guy?

Someone needs to be 'cause the guy is running out of supporters

I would imagine the only team happy about Moore's failings are the Rats at 32.

And as an aside, here's a tidbit from NFL Network's Brian Baldinger:
Quote:

"Talking to the general manager of the Cleveland Browns Mike Lombardi, they very much like Jarvis Jones," Baldinger said. This is very interesting news considering the Browns are moving to a 3-4 defense under newly hired defensive coordinator Ray Horton. They need pass-rushers and Jarvis is just that.

And this one from Greg Cosell of NFL Films:
Quote:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell says Georgia LB Jarvis Jones has the kind of talent teams look for.
"I think that Georgia did not always use him as a pass-rusher but I think he's got the kind of ability you look for," Cosell said. "He's both explosive and has shown the ability to bull rush. Speed off the ball to power to get underneath the pads of offensive linemen. But I think the biggest thing about him is that he can bend the edge. He's that kind of athlete." Jones has been a polarizing prospect for many but does show great pop and athleticism. His biggest issue is his medical history.

People need to ask themselves what they want from a 3-4 OLB. Do they want a guy who is better against the run than anything else he does? That would be Ansah or even Moore. Do they want a guy who can cover in space more than anything else? That's going to be Jordan. But if they want a guy who wreaks havoc in the backfield, that's Jones.

I want my 3-4 OLB to be a disruptive force as a rusher. If he isn't as good as some others against the run, big deal. I also don't really care if he's elite in terms of covering players in space. Jones is better than Mingo and Jordan against the run, and is 2nd only to Jordan in terms of covering in space. The film backs this up. But in terms of getting to the QB and disrupting plays in the offensive backfield, Jones is better than the rest.

It's going to come down to his pro-day and any private workouts. His neck is becoming less and less of a factor, and that was the big question with him, or so says Dan Pompei:
Quote:

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post believes Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones' "neck injury is starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day."
Pompei then added, "there is little chance he will fall out of the top 10." The report is partially based on a medical document that was sent to every team by leading orthopedist Craig Brigham who refutes "that Jones ever had a significant spinal cord contusion." That is a positive, but each team will use their own medical evaluations instead of ones from a third party.

And for the record, I'm not convinced Ansah is even an OLB. I've the feeling many 4-3 teams are looking at him as a DE. The draft will tell.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Toad. I agree on Ansah. I want no part of a guy this damn RAW at 6. I don't care what he turns out to be. It's all HOPE. Pray he goes to Detroit at 5.

Jones on the other hand is a stud in the making. I lmao at people who say he's lazy and not so hot against the run. Or even too light in the ass. Harrison's never been any bigger than Jones and has been a terror on Pitt's LBing crew. And almost none of the Rushing OLB's in a 3-4 in the NFL are worth doo-doo against the run.

This is interesting. Where's the movement on these Corners in FA? Grimes, Talib, Lewis, Cason and such? Someone needs to sign to set the market. And the TE money is crazy in the 7M range. I'd not even look at TE's the rest of the way unless we can land Fred Davis for 5 or less a year. Why? Because we should most likely have a Kelce from Cincinnati sitting there for us at 68.

I love what these guys are doing now. And we're sitting pretty at 6. No doubt we will sign one CB. Then we have options going into the draft. If we love Jones then go for it. Milliner is an option if he doesn't go to Philly or Detroit. I'm hoping Philly goes Milliner and Detroit Ansah. That leaves us 2 options at 6.

Take Jordan or Jones or move down and land Xavier Rhodes. Could we be so lucky to have the Jets move to 6 to get ahead of Zona and Buffalo for Geno? We better not go down more than 11 ahead of Miami if we want Rhodes.

Dream #1--Jarvis Jones
Dream #2--Move down

Rhodes CB
Elam FS
Kelce TE

This will all depend on how satisfied we are with the 3-some of Kruger, Sheard and Groves.

I could seriously get into seeing Kruger and Jones at OLB together.

But I might be more apt to go with Rhodes, Elam and Kelce.

One creates a dominant pass rush. The other a dominant secondary. Win-Win.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

"I think that Georgia did not always use him as a pass-rusher but I think he's got the kind of ability you look for," Cosell said.

I really laughed HARD at this one, as Jones was allowed to roam the backfield WAY MORE than any other top 50 projected rusher. Maybe he's saying he should do it 100% of the time and not onyl 90%? Taken that way, it's a backhanded compliment by Cosell and that to me would mean he's a situational pass rusher who really should not be on the field on all 3 downs because he sucks at everything else

Quote:

People need to ask themselves what they want from a 3-4 OLB. Do they want a guy who is better against the run than anything else he does? That would be Ansah or even Moore. Do they want a guy who can cover in space more than anything else? That's going to be Jordan. But if they want a guy who wreaks havoc in the backfield, that's Jones.

I want my 3-4 OLB to be a disruptive force as a rusher. If he isn't as good as some others against the run, big deal.

That's fair, but it's clear we disagree here. I want my 3-4 OLB to be a pass rusher first too, but the "foundation" of being at least competent against the run must be there or he simply won't get to rush the passer much since his team will be run over and trail more often than lead. Jones was run over tma and again in College, so I don't expect him to become much better at it in the Pros, especially not with his questionable work ethic and body language on the field...I just don't see a guy who wants to be better....he has one trick, it either works or it doesn't...if it doesn't, he'll probably think "cool, that trick still got me million, the magic of the trick has vanished, so what"...all that of course is my opinion.

With Ansah, the "foundation" of stopping the run is there, he just LOVES to tackle, he loves to play ST, so he can play all 3 downs because he can do first things first...he's raw as a rusher in terms of technique, he has no clue how to use his hands and is inconsistent gaining leverage, but that's all coachable and normally I hate saying this since that's what College is there for...if he was a 3 or 4 year player, who has played in HS too, THEN I would probably be much more reluctant to take him anywhere in the 1st....but this dude just started playing this sport and is already showing incredible instincts, he just gets "IT" in the context of the game situation....he's already much better at the "little things" than the others, that's impressive and unheard of and speaks volumes about his intelligence and coachability. Simply put, he has the elite size/speed ratio to go with a high motor/brains....that's incredibly RARE. He just needs more coaching and reps and his game will take off (and it's already pretty good, or he would not have been even talked about as a top10 pick, it's NOT all just projection, guy has an incredibly high floor too, in fact much higher than most others imho, since we know he'll at least be capable SDE or SOLB)

As for what team will take him...that won't tell anything about Ansah, it'll be just a fact, especially with all those hybrid Ds around...in the past drafts often "typical" 3-4 OLB were taken by 4-3 teams and vice versa, happens every draft...he IS a hybrid player and that adds to his value actually since he's on every scheme's radar

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Elam just isn't a FS, forget it...he was a SS at Florida and plays like one. He reminds me a lot of P.Chung, who was put at FS too and sucked there, he's a good SS though and that's where he'll play going forward

The best coverage FS in this draft are Swearinger and Rambo, but Rambo doesn't like to play the run and gambles a lot in coverage, Swearinger has the most polished game.
Vaccaro and McDonald are freak tweeners, Reid is incredibly overrated (no instincts whatoever) and Jefferson just plain sucks...slim pickings. The best value imho is Swearinger anywhere in the 3rd/4th range. I'd love to see us trade down some from 68 to nab a couple of extra 3rd day picks and then take Swearinger

#gmstrong

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think Toad nails it when he says what do you want from OLB. I also think as Ytown said in another thread that Ansah and Kruger are basically the same player with Ansah having a higher ceiling which for me means that the Browns are unlikely to draft a similar player. With that said unless Milliner, I think Detriot takes him, is there I think the Browns still go with a OLB probably either Jones or Jordan. I do not thinking the drafting of Jones or Jordan would impact Sheard unless Sheard is completely unable to play OLB in Horton's 3-4.

Assuming the Browns draft Jones or Jordan and keep Sheard the Browns could rotate their OLB's a ton depending on the situation and to assue that Kruger, Jones or Jordan, and Sheard would be rested. Another option I think for Jordan would be to move Jordan in inside as an ILB in the base 3-4. He could cover those TE's across the middle and would be a fantastic blitzer for a ILB.

However I think the most fun could be had in a Nickel package where it's:

D-Line: Kruger-Taylor-Bryant-Sheard
Linebackers: D'Qwell- Jordan or Jones

With the Nickel defense the Browns would have 3 real threats to get to the QB. Can you imagine how much fun it would to watch Jones and Sheard do an twist stunt or both come around the end? Or watching Kruger pull the offensive linemen with him as he stunts down allowing Jones or Jordan to use their quickness to speed rush into the backfield? I think that Nickel defense in passing situations would rack up a ton of sacks.

I could watch that defense. Other usefull additions through FA would be Kerry Rhodes as he knows Horton's defense and could act as a field general (As a side note I think the Safety is a rare position that players become better as they age like Reed, Lynch, Harrison..etc). Also I would love to see the Browns add Captain Munnerylin.

TL:DR: Kruger is too similar to Ansah leaving it down to Jones, Jordan, or Milliner. Having Kruger and Sheard has no effect on the Browns drafting Jones or Jordan.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Never implied they did...talking about our pick at #6. as for time elapsing in most cases it is teams trying to get their targeted player n seeing if they can do so all the while trading back.

But BPA...actually I see teams Targeting/BPA for themselves.

There several boards they keep...you are thinking of the BIG BOARD in the war room...and you are thinking of again some vast BPA ranking.

What we do is target 20-40 players around 5-7 for each round.

BPA is lets say we have a 6 player list targeted for the 2nd round...n one of them are still there when we pick in the 3rd. We could give two dinks that KIPER has 10 guys ahead of that on his BPA sheet...we got him as our best player TARGETED...maybe we should start referring it to BPT??? But to us that is our BPA...Dawgs using all the Draft Nick boards are saying - We didn't go BPA but we did.

JMHObservations on the draft...a lot of it I learned from Heckerts War Room.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Cool. Thanks.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm warming up to the idea of potentially drafting Jarvis Jones at #6 if we're not able to trade down and get some more picks, heck I have seen mock drafts where he falls to the bottom of the 1st round, even if we're able to trade down a few spots he could still be a possibility.

I really like the idea of having him and Kruger being our starting outside linebackers and coming off the edge together. Then you have Sheard, Wynn, Groves and Gocong or any combination of the four to come in and rotate with them to keep our pass rush fresh and strong. If we're going to build a dominate Steeler/Raven type defense we need lots of good, strong pass rushers. A strong pass rush can help make up for a less than stellar secondary as well.

I'm on the Jarvis Jones bandwagon. I think more than anything I'd like to trade down 5 or 10 spots with someone to pickup a 2nd round pick, but if Jones were to fall that far I would love to pick him up, and then draft an offensive guard in the 2nd round of the draft, and a Safety in the 3rd round.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Can I be the Damontre Moore guy?

Someone needs to be 'cause the guy is running out of supporters

I think the topic is thread worthy...meet me there.

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

That's fair, but it's clear we disagree here. I want my 3-4 OLB to be a pass rusher first too, but the "foundation" of being at least competent against the run must be there or he simply won't get to rush the passer much since his team will be run over and trail more often than lead.

Lemme tell YOU sumthin'...

That's fair as well, but I do disagree. While I don't think he's in the same discussion as Ansah and Moore in stopping the run, I don't think he's a pushover like Jordan, and I think he's better than Mingo.

It goes back to which wart each guy has, and how each of us looking at each player views him. You like Ansah, Deep likes Jordan, I like Jones, and I've seen at least a couple of folks say they like Mingo.

I'm very interested to see what kind of numbers Jones puts up on the 21st. If he pulls a Moore and shows he wasn't serious about getting ready for the combine and his pro-day, I'll run from him as fast as college QB's do.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

A month ago, on the defunct Browns Chat, I declared my hasty opposition to Jones. It was all based on available medical reports. I recant now. He has to be given serious consideration at 6. I've looked at a number of game videos on the kid and he flies around and makes plays. More in the passing game but he does display good hand usage, leverage and some ability to shed blocks against the run. I don't see him as a liability in run defense; he just needs to be developed. I continue to like Ansah as well. To me the reverse is true of him; right now he's better against the run but he can become very productive as a pass rusher. I think that even with the FA pickups the first pick will still be OLB. One of these guys should be available at 6. I like the two of them better than any other OLB prospects available.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Confidence!!!

Jarvis Jones calls himself the best player in the NFL Draft

Jarvis Jones calls himself the best player in the NFL draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones has no doubts about where he ranks among the prospects in this year’s NFL draft.

“At the end of the day I think I’m the number one player,” Jones told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution after performing for NFL scouts at Georgia’s Pro Day workout on Thursday.

Jones didn’t work out at the Scouting Combine, so Pro Day was his opportunity to show what kind of athlete he is. According to Marc Weiszer of the Athens Banner-Herald, Jones ran the 40-yard dash in 4.85 seconds, which would be a disappointing time for a linebacker who was hoping to show off his speed.

Whether Jones is the best player in the draft or not, he seems to be drawing a lot of interest from teams in the Top 5: He said after working out that he has visits scheduled with the Chiefs, Eagles and Lions.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Expected him in the 4.75-4.8 range based on what I'd seen, so that doesn't surprise me. I'm less interested in straight-line speed and more in quickness, so I really wanna see if he did any other drills...

C
Legend
Legend
C
He didn't work out at the combine for that?!?!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Expected him in the 4.75-4.8 range based on what I'd seen, so that doesn't surprise me. I'm less interested in straight-line speed and more in quickness, so I really wanna see if he did any other drills...

...not that I expected you to say anything different AFTER the fact....can't remember telling anyone on here that you'd be ok with a 4.8ish

That 4.85 time is as bad as Moore's considering he's smaller and a little lighter

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
A couple thoughts off the top of my head....

1. Of course he's gonna say this. What projected top 10 player wouldn't?

2. What a waste of button pushing to write this article. This report is pointless and says nothing except to add to the required news wire count for 3/21/13. Poor form, PFT.

3. He's wrong. Everyone knows the best player in the draft is Leon Sandcastle.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

...not that I expected you to say anything different AFTER the fact....can't remember telling anyone on here that you'd be ok with a 4.8ish

That 4.85 time is as bad as Moore's considering he's smaller and a little lighter

You won't remember me telling anyone he'd run in the 4.5's either, just as you won't have seen me say he's got elite speed.

Again, straight-line speed isn't something I'm that concerned with. It's quickness off the edge and off the snap. Not gonna get into bagging on Moore because he already did the damage to himself (as well as the folks pimping him at #6 last month *cough* DJ *cough* )

I'll say the same thing that I'd said before about Jones, which is that if you want a guy who can cover better in space, you get Jordan. If you want a guy who is better against the run, you get Ansah. Some guys have more upside because of athletic talents. But if you want the best overall 3-4 OLB in this draft, meaning a guy who can get to the backfield while also being able to cover in space and do a decent job against the run, then you'll want Jones.

Now if he did the quickness and change-of-direction drills and didn't go well, that would change my opinion. If there's anything that Terrell Suggs showed people it's that your 40-time doesn't make you a good pass-rusher.

And this just in from the "Whoops, that's what you get for jumping to conclusions" file, Jones tweaked his hammy running the 40. What's that going to be worth, though? 4.75? 4.68? Impossible to say. one-tenth of a second isn't going to make a guy good or a bum.

Another scout there stated he looked good in positional drills.

So where does that leave Jones? The same place he was at, I'd imagine.

The team drafting Jones is going off of tape and production. His measurables weren't going to topple guys like Ansah and Jordan. Teams are going to have to bet on productions versus upside...just like has always been said.

I favor Jones because at #6 I favor getting a known player instead of gambling on upside. Since none of these OLB prospects are truly elite, including Jones, I want the guy who has known production, not only as a rusher but also as a guy who can cover in space in the 3-4 and does decent work against the run. People can hope Jordan can learn to man-up against the run, people can hope Ansah can learn to rush the passer and take on blocks (and not be 28 ) and people can hope that Mingo isn't lazy and can learn to stop the run, but Jones, as of right now, is the most complete package.

Let some other team go after the next JPP and end up with the next Vernon Gholston.

By the way, here's Gholston's combine results:

6'3 266 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.65
Bench: 37 reps
20-yard shuttle: 4.40
3-cone drill: 7.12

His last year at OSU Gholston had 14 sacks but only 15.5 tackles for losses and 37 total tackles. That isn't true production and was a HUGE red-flag.

Real production is the 24.5 tackles for losses along with 14.5 sacks and 85 total tackles that Jones put up.

Each person has to decide if they are willing to throw the dice on upside or go with production, but at the 6th pick in the entire draft and without a 2nd rounder, that person better be right...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
More apologetics, go figure

Strange enough you didn't pull out Suggs and Gholston to make a case for Moore, did you? You trashed him for his forty and his bench and you completely ignored when I posted his SS and 3cone times who were as good as the other top conversion prospects....now, you tell the world that's all you care about

For the rest of your drivel:

College stats, huh? and they somehow don't count for Moore...keep up the agenda cherry picking Toad

Btw, I still "pimp" Moore as a Top 10 guy and our 2nd option behind Ansah....just in case you missed it through all the coughing...and I'd sure take him over Jones any draft

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
goodness I really hope and pray we draft Leon Sandcastle...the kid is a beast lol

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

I think Toad nails it when he says what do you want from OLB. I also think as Ytown said in another thread that Ansah and Kruger are basically the same player with Ansah having a higher ceiling which for me means that the Browns are unlikely to draft a similar player. With that said unless Milliner, I think Detriot takes him, is there I think the Browns still go with a OLB probably either Jones or Jordan. I do not thinking the drafting of Jones or Jordan would impact Sheard unless Sheard is completely unable to play OLB in Horton's 3-4.

Assuming the Browns draft Jones or Jordan and keep Sheard the Browns could rotate their OLB's a ton depending on the situation and to assue that Kruger, Jones or Jordan, and Sheard would be rested. Another option I think for Jordan would be to move Jordan in inside as an ILB in the base 3-4. He could cover those TE's across the middle and would be a fantastic blitzer for a ILB.

However I think the most fun could be had in a Nickel package where it's:

D-Line: Kruger-Taylor-Bryant-Sheard
Linebackers: D'Qwell- Jordan or Jones

With the Nickel defense the Browns would have 3 real threats to get to the QB. Can you imagine how much fun it would to watch Jones and Sheard do an twist stunt or both come around the end? Or watching Kruger pull the offensive linemen with him as he stunts down allowing Jones or Jordan to use their quickness to speed rush into the backfield? I think that Nickel defense in passing situations would rack up a ton of sacks.

TL:DR: Kruger is too similar to Ansah leaving it down to Jones, Jordan, or Milliner. Having Kruger and Sheard has no effect on the Browns drafting Jones or Jordan.

This is a great post.

Although I think Jordan is a much better fit for this team in relation to Kruger's and Sheard's skillsets. Jordan's probably never going to be an elite pass rusher (while Kruger has the potential to be elite in this regard), but he's great in coverage which makes him the perfect complement to Kruger's horrible coverage skills. As you said, there's also the potential for Jordan to play ILB in nickel formation due to his fantastic coverage skills — something that Jones can't do.

Jones doesn't really work because his skillset is a little too close to Kruger/Sheard's IMO. Jordan's unique skillset justifies picking an OLB so high (a position that isn't really a "need" anymore for the Browns). Jordan's more than just a pass rusher and he brings something to the table that neither Kruger nor Sheard do. This ability to bring different abilities to Cleveland's OLB core is the same reason why I think the idea that Dumervil will be signed here is pure blasphemy. Why would Cleveland sign Dumervil when Kruger does the same exact thing?

It also doesn't help that I think Jones is completely overrated. He's small and lacks the elite athleticism/explosiveness of top 3-4 pass rushers. He'll almost definitely be a 10 sacks per year guy (as a 3-down starter), but I don't see him ever being able to achieve much more than that. And it's not like he's excellent in coverage or against the run (although I'll admit he's a bit better than Kruger in this respect), so it's tough to justify picking him as opposed to addressing an actual position of need. There's also the spinal stenosis which is a huge problem. It's ended the careers of quite a few players and most of them were at positions less physically-demanding than 3-4 OLB.

Of course, it would be ideal if Milliner just fell to the Browns at #6 and they didn't have to draft any of these pass rushers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am starting to think that it is pretty much a lock that we are trading down. That is something a month ago, I could not have imagined. I think we will see several teams looking to jump for either pass rusher, OT or QB. I think we are seeing a situation where there are 2 or 3 teams that are falling in love with a guy and that usually creates a situation where teams are more willing to jump.

Hell I could see a couple trade downs with us trying to accumulate the buying power to bring in Mallett.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

I am starting to think that it is pretty much a lock that we are trading down. That is something a month ago, I could not have imagined. I think we will see several teams looking to jump for either pass rusher, OT or QB. I think we are seeing a situation where there are 2 or 3 teams that are falling in love with a guy and that usually creates a situation where teams are more willing to jump.

It's definitely a strong possibility if Milliner's not there at #6 IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DJ Jones was expected to blow away the combines and when he didnt work out, I said it then, it is a red flag. I like Jones but if I am a GM, I am very leery of selecting him. He isn't as athletic as most thought and that makes it even harder to overlook any medical issues.

I want confident players and when I saw Moore looking for a way to escape the combines right before he had the supposed hammy injury, for me, it really dropped his value. Jones not working out and a subpar pro day concerns me enough to drop his value.

Xavier Rhodes is one of very few in this draft that I truly believe in. Joeckel and Star are probably the other 2.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Xavier Rhodes is one of very few in this draft that I truly believe in. Joeckel and Star are probably the other 2.

Jeez, Mourg, I guess that since we already have the best LT in the league and just signed a top-tier DE it looks like you are gonna be begging us to trade down into the teen's so we can get the only guy you want that fits a need.

This could be a tough draft for you man.

As for Jones, one workout, ten different versions of how it went.

To hear Mayock tell it he clocked Jones in the 4.9's and that he expected him to run much faster.

To hear Kiper tell it Jones was clocked in the 4.8's and people didn't ever expect Jones to run fast. (I sure didn't, so would Mayock?)

To hear the scouts at the pro-day tell it Jones ran 4.85 and tweaked his hammy while doing it, but looked good in positional drills.

Good Lord...it just goes to show that even the elite people in the sport can't agree on what happened during one guys workout.

With the way this draft is starting to shape up, I think we've suddenly become a hot-spot for a trade-down.

There's going to be at least one blue-chip left tackle fall to us
There's going to be at least one blue-chip OLB fall to us
It's highly likely that one blue-chip DT is going to fall to us
It's possible a team may want to trade up to get a QB (I think it'd be idiotic, but...)

This is going to be one very strange draft. There isn't that one elite player who is better than the rest, but the level of depth from 1-15 is very, very strong.

A couple of months ago I didn't at all favor a trade-down, but I'm really liking the idea of making a move to get back into the 2nd round.

The two guys I really feel good about are Milliner and Jones. If Milliner is there when we pick I might not want to move, but if moving down meant picking up a 2nd rounder and getting Jones? Yeah, I think I would...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are a lot of guys that are freaking good at the top of the draft. I won't be disappointed with most of those guys we have been discussing including moore and Jones but in my eyes their value has decreased.

Actually, I do think Rhodes is going to be better than Millner and Millner is going to be a good pro. I like him cause, I think he can slip inside and cover the slot. I like Rhodes better because he is more physical at the line and can really get into a receivers head.

There are only a few guys that would really disappoint me at 6. QB would definitely be a huge disappointment. Not a big fan of Fisher, plus we dont need a tackle. Warmack ugg a guard that high would make me barf. Mingo, is another that I would hate because he is such an underachiever.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
PFT

Reggie McKenzie on Jarvis Jones: You can’t change what you see on tape

Posted by Josh Alper on March 22, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT

For years under Al Davis, the Raiders had a reputation for drafting players who ran very fast even if their on-field results were less impressive.

Davis has passed away, leaving a new group in charge of making personnel decisions and they’re using different criteria. That was evident at Georgia’s pro day on Thursday when General Manager Reggie McKenzie weighed in on linebacker Jarvis Jones‘ workout. Jones ran a 4.9-second 40-yard dash, which was slower than expected and which led observers like Mike Mayock of the NFL Network to suggest Jones could slip down draft boards. McKenzie had a slightly different take.

“You can never dispel what you see on tape,” McKenzie said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

There’s a strange dance that goes on during the run-up to the draft where those who make a living studying the draft bang the drum for judging players based on how they perform on the field right up until the point a player has a disappointing workout. You obviously want to have fast players on your team, but you want productive ones more and Jones was very productive at Georgia while playing in a conference that every pundit has deemed the finest in all the land. It seems strange that one 40-yard dash would be given more weight than that.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
this sorta confirms that if you are looking for a elite pass rusher 2014 is the year you might find him. by your own admission you say if you are looking for the complete player its not in this draft. you say that you can only get part of what the persons needs to be to become elite. warmach is starting to look like the most complete player we could get.

Legend
Legend

Jones was not expected to test well. That being said 4.9 is going to hurt him. At this point Milliner looks to be the guy with the lowest risk.

I know the Browns will not be involved but the guy in this draft that will be a true weapon is Tavon Austin. This guy is the definition of mismatch. You just do not see guys like him very often. A real ankle breaker who can be used in a number of ways.
Wideout, slot, backfield, returner use him all over the field. A true game breaker.

Yes he is small. So is Russell Wilson. So is Steve Smith. So was Barry Sanders.

You can not teach what this guy has. You want vertical? He is vertical and horizontal all at the same time.

If he lands with a coach that knows how to use him - Look Out.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sometimes it seems like this whole run-up to the draft is designed to devalue players before they get their first contract. I was reading PFW's Draft Preview magazine and it cracks me up the way the talent evaluators really look hard to come up with negatives. One OT was touted (as a positive) as having a frame that could easily handle more weight and for the negatives it said he was too thin-framed ... say what?

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Start with Jarvis Jones cause its his thread. There was mentioned between you n Django one of yah on what you expect from your OLB in a Top 10 draft pick. Well for me its AWESOME...Dominate which ever you choose to me it one in the same! I see as Moore as OK prospect. I was seeing Jarvis Jones as Awesome. On the film.

But as I've mentioned before all these olympic stuff is to help evaluate the ability to bring that same IMPACT seen on film in College to the NFL. The number one difference n difficulty in the transition is the amazing across the board SPEED. The bad numbers by Jones is very disturbing now. Can he be just as dominant as he was in the film with GA? All this 4.85 ran as expected whatever...fact is he is not what I expect out of a Top 10 pick. He always was my 2nd pick for our #6 for dominant OLB now I don't know what but my initial reaction is to drop him from my top 10 n what I want from an Impact OLB.

2. Ansah - 28??? how come what 1-2 weeks we don't hear anything else. I am 99% sure this was a pssst "RUMOR" thrown out there to hopefully have him drop!

Like the way you compare Moore to Suggs n Ansah to Gohlston...lol hmmm wonder who you like over the other.

Ansah is my HOPE WISH DREAM PICK for our NEW Defense! What I would wish for as a DOMINANT AWESOME 3/4 OLB. Just cause he is 277 doesn't make him a clone of Kruger...he is every bit as good but even BETTER. Actually one thing I do know about KRUGER...the better his Opposite OLB the more productive he is. So its a pick with more than ONE Dimension. The difference from Ansah from any other comparison is his ability to LEARN like no other Prospect. Not on paper but you can see it on the film...His first start to his last start...amazing grasp n improvement. Continue that to his Senior Bowl practice n Game against fellow All Stars and a very strong OT class. His improvement was amazing n he dominated like no other!

So I sort of have to laugh as you n others try to compare Ansah to another past prospect via PAPER STUFF n physical specs. There is no comparison that I can come up with. RAW? yes. Size n speed like Gohlston pretty amazing. Learning ability n growth...NO COMARISON. Transition to NFL 3/4 OLB from college DE is a difficult task. But in that regard n the quick learner he has displayed in his history he actually is ahead of other prospects. His drills at the combine...one of the most coachable that I've ever seen. And I'm talking about the DE's going to the LB drills. Also alphabetically he was the first guy n didn't have several go to catch on the drill.

Just a combo of all this...Ansah is not your 2006 (?) Gohlston.

Btw...as the draft gets closer...he is THE ONE for me
When I say for me...to best IMPROVE the Browns. His upside is not good or great but THE BEST 3/4 OLB in his ERA! That is the upside. Also I see no other draft pick that would Improve others. Especially we just spent some $$$ on Bryant n Kruger...no other pick will make those 2 Better!!!! Gives us more Bang for our $$$

Of course JMHO only thing that could change it --- now to end of April. Proven that he is indeed 28. Not this pre-draft Marino rumor to get him to drop stuff.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I am thinking a bit more about Ansah ..... but not as a DE/OLB ..... but as a sideline to sideline ILB who would be strong against the run, with enough speed and quickness to be useful in coverage, could be an effective blitzer, and who would be a very strong presence next to DO in the middle.

We would then line up:

Bryant, Taylor, Rubin
Sheard, Ansah, DQ, Kruger

That could be a pretty imposing front 7. It would also be a nice blend of size/quickness.

Yeah .... I could come around to liking something like that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Jones was not expected to test well. That being said 4.9 is going to hurt him. At this point Milliner looks to be the guy with the lowest risk.

IMO it hurt him a lot. Possible top ten selection to for sure not a top ten selection. The question marks are still piling up with Jones, and at this point I am sick of question marks. I want a more clear knowledge of potential production than I am seeing with Jarvis.

Milliner is seriously looking a lot better in terms of that...

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Jarvis Jones medically cleared

Link Copied to Clipboard