Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
man, i liked washington from Georgia at the senior bowl and he is lighting this 40 up. I hope to watch some of him this week.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I'm completely torn on Jordan. On tape he just doesn't jump out, he's just a guy to me, not bad, but I see nothing great either, but a lot of people who's opinion I value are high on him...a real head scratcher. I might pull a Toad on him and go to the fence

I'd guess it could be because Oregon lined him up so many different ways. When he was asked to rush, he pressured well. When asked to drop, he covered well. He came into Oregon as a TE, so his time on defense has only been 3 years (if I recall). I think he's going to turn out to be a heck of a 3-4 OLB if he can add a little weight and stay healthy.

Legend
Legend
LSU can’t be happy to hear that DE Sam Montgomery said he took the easier games off
By Frank Schwab | Dr. Saturday – 6 hours ago

Many NFL draft prospects, once the film is dissected by scouts and executives, get accused of taking plays off.
It's pretty rare to hear of a player taking entire games off. Even weirder when the player admits to doing so.

LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery had an interesting press conference at the NFL scouting combine. He discussed large bets with teammate Barkevious Mingo, such as who would get more sacks last season, as Shutdown Corner's Doug Farrar wrote about.

What's crazy is that revelation didn't raise the most eyebrows from his presser.

The Advocate in Baton Rouge had this interesting piece of information from Montgomery.

“You know, some weeks when we didn’t have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed,” he said.

“But when we had the big boys coming in — the Bamas or the South Carolinas — I grabbed close to those guys and went all-out.”

Montgomery had been showing up in the late first round of some mock drafts, but his stock could fall some after coaches find out he admitted to being kind of lazy on certain Saturdays.

It's not like Montgomery mailing in games against Towson or Idaho cost the Tigers too much because even with apparently little effort LSU won without much of a scare (have we mentioned that getting rid of FBS-FCS games might be best for the sport?). The LSU losses last season were all against "big boys," like Florida, Alabama and Clemson.

Oh, but Montgomery had more, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune:

"Of course, this is a new league, the NFL and there are no small teams, small divisions. It is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine."

Les Miles and staff must have been thrilled to hear that with "the right coaching" Montgomery would learn to do things like play hard once a week in the fall.

The lead-up to the draft has one key element that Montgomery may not have considered. NFL teams have dialogue with college coaches and ask about players all the time. And according to draftinsider.net, when teams have asked about Montgomery, LSU's coaches were openly "slamming him" to them. Apparently the Tigers' coaches and some former teammates didn't like Montgomery's attitude or personality, according to draftinsider.net.

Go figure.
- - -

web page

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

That's unbelievable. I can do 12 reps.

And 4.87 is below average.

How did he year up the SEC? Weird

I am sure you can do 12 reps....I just want to know at want weight?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Are we going to get into the 90lb curl discussion again?

In all seriousness I would put $100 down that I could do 8 reps of 225 this minute. I was working toward being able to do 3 sets of 10 at 225 but never quite made it. I'm doing P90x right now so not in the gym doing bench right now.

Could I do 12...maybe probably? I am hovering around 220 but still maintaining strength.

But man come on...Isn't there a strength coach at A&M? I'd be on the phone with him if I was Lombardi.

It's just such a freakishly low number that I have to question if something else is going on here.

Was he allurgic to the weight room?

btw...I got in with the strength and conditioning coach at OSU and had a bunch of friends that were in varsity athletics. Got to work out with some impressive people. One of which was Joey Galloway.

He was repping out 405. I mean just blasting it. I think he did 8 reps. It was amazing.

And it turned out that he was juicing but man it's unreal to see a guy his size..185ish taking that amount of weight and throwing it around.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I'm completely torn on Jordan. On tape he just doesn't jump out, he's just a guy to me, not bad, but I see nothing great either, but a lot of people who's opinion I value are high on him...a real head scratcher. I might pull a Toad on him and go to the fence

I'd guess it could be because Oregon lined him up so many different ways. When he was asked to rush, he pressured well. When asked to drop, he covered well. He came into Oregon as a TE, so his time on defense has only been 3 years (if I recall). I think he's going to turn out to be a heck of a 3-4 OLB if he can add a little weight and stay healthy.

The Freaks made me doubt Moore and Moore's own performance made me really doubt even more. I gotta say, I would not be shocked to see Jordan, Mingo and Ansah go before Jones and Moore.

this years front 7 class may be equal to last years quarterback and RB class. Man I have to admit I was pumped after watching the freak show today. Mingo, Ansah and Jordan Wow. Hell this time yesterday I thought we should trade down and take one of those guys and now, we may have to trade up to get one of them lol.

I

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am getting older and weaker by the day...that's the reality of the matter.

That said, the attitude says I still have a couple of good ass kickings left in me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Agreed.

I've never been on the Mingo train, but haven't seen a lot of him. I like Jordan and would love to see him in Cleveland, though only a couple years on D worries me at #6. And only a couple years of Ansah even playing football scares me at #6. (though props to him being an Actuarial Science major!).

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Holy Margus Hunt!

Oh Lordy. Just saw him right now run the 40.

Ridonculous. Straight stud.

I don't know where the best place to get him would be but I'd find a way to get that guy.

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Please watch his tape first. He doesn't like to play football and pretty much all but said so live on the telecast. He was urged to start playing by SMU coaches, who watched him workout at their gym but declined to do so and just started playing as a "last chance" to stay at SMU and finish his degree. He's in it just for the money now and he hasn't improved much...Ziggy Ansah has improved much more in 9 games than Hunt in 3 seasons. Ansah loves to hit people, Hunt doesn't...it's as easy as that and since we're talking about front 7 prospects, that's pretty important imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
IF Ansah can develop the hand technique, he will be a star. This is one where you really have to determine how coachable he really is. I knew he had great feet but watching him on those drills, I got to see great hips.

That was one of the knocks I had on Wimbley coming out, he was flexible and had great feet but he was never explosive with his hips being able to sink and pop. Ansah really shot up on my board.

Moore hoever, ugg. I dont know if he came in injured and tried to workout or what but he looked defeated walking up to the 40. That bothered me a lot.

Dion Jordan walked up there like he owned the place and that sells.

The other DE from LSU impressed me more than Mingo. I really liked the power and burst. Maybe not the speed and athleticism but he was really explosive.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think Jordan has to be the pick if he is there.

cfrs15 #755285 02/26/13 01:24 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think Jordan has to be the pick if he is there.

Agree, I've narrowed down to Jordan, Milliner, Ansah.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like Montgomery too, he'd make a nice RDE for our 4-3, oh well....he's a pure 4-3 DE like Werner, I don't see him fitting anywhere in a 3-4

As for Ansah, I think he has a chance of going top 5 now and yes Mourg, his hand usage is lacking, but he comes across as a VERY intelligent and humble guy, who takes on coaching. He's already so good without any technique...once he gets that down, watch out. Guy LOVES to hit and his floor is pretty high for such a raw player. He's a good bet anywhere in the draft imho and would not be surprised if he goes top5 come April 25th

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
it depends on what we do in FA, but I find myself seeing guys who can cover in FA but not real pass rush guys.

so, if we can get a decent CB, OG, and S in FA, then why wouldn't we go pass rush in the draft?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watching the combine the DB deptartment looks pretty good for solid guys in later rounds! That great pass rusher would go a long way to help the DB's.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I am still waiting on my boy Rhodes to work out, (i am watching the tape from todays combines so an hour or so behind). Right now my mock would be

1. Joeckel to the Chiefs
2. Floyd to the Jags
3. Dion Jordan to the Raiders
4. Fisher to the Eagles
5. Millner to Lions
6. ????

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am still waiting on my boy Rhodes to work out, (i am watching the tape from todays combines so an hour or so behind). Right now my mock would be

1. Joeckel to the Chiefs
2. Floyd to the Jags
3. Dion Jordan to the Raiders
4. Fisher to the Eagles
5. Millner to Lions
6. ????

Well, then according to my picks its Ziggy!
He's our next Joe "Turkey" Jones!

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

As for Ansah, I think he has a chance of going top 5 now and yes Mourg, his hand usage is lacking, but he comes across as a VERY intelligent and humble guy, who takes on coaching. He's already so good without any technique...once he gets that down, watch out. Guy LOVES to hit and his floor is pretty high for such a raw player. He's a good bet anywhere in the draft imho and would not be surprised if he goes top5 come April 25th

Good. Hope he does go top 5.

This is a classic case of over-thinking a top 6 pick.

This guy didn't even know what a football was until 2010 and didn't even see the field on defense until THIS year.

Classic boom or bust pick at 6. No thanks. Don't fall for it Lombardi.

I go Jordan all day at 6 even with Anzah there and I'm seriously leaning toward Jordan over Moore AND Jones.

kwhip #755292 02/27/13 06:48 AM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I would definitely take Jordan over Moore or Jones. Moore was awful at the combine - slow and not very strong. And I love Jones, but the spine thing could mean a short career. As I said in another thread, the safest and surest way to upgrade is to grab a corner at No. 6. Maybe get some of these 3-4 linebackers we need in free agency. We lost all five games Haden couldn't play, IIRC.

kwhip #755293 02/27/13 09:07 AM
Legend
Legend
I'm confused as to why Jordan is assumed to be the safe pick. You're taking a guy whose best asset is his athleticism, asking him to play 20 pounds over his college weight, and to rely on that athleticism to be productive in a role he wasn't particularly effective in in college. How is that the safe pick?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Has there been anything definite with Jones and his combine physical? He is the guy I would prefer if his physical holds.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With the 49ers now also owning the 34th overall and 15 picks (!) in the draft, how about trading back from 6 to 31 for 34, 61 and 93? I'd do that in a heartbeat if both Milliner and Ansah are gone, which very well could happen by now....who's a top5 lock? Joeckel? Milliner? Who else?

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I think Millner, Floyd and Joeckel are the 3 locks for top 5. Banner is gonna bang the table for Warmack. Chud probably will as well. Even Mayock has been talking about if the Browns add Warmack at LG they would have the best OL in football and lets face it Mayock and Lombardi are super tight and I am sure talk every single day.

After the combines, I am starting to think we will take a guard at #6 overall. I want the pass rusher or Rhodes (I think he is gonna be that good). For those pimping the OG, they may very well get their wish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would probably be okay with this, though I would prefer it if one of those picks was a 1st rounder in next year's draft. The question is: Who are the 49ers trading up to get? I could possibly see them wanting to move up for Milliner but you have him off the board by #6.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #755298 02/27/13 04:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
New mock draft from Walter Football http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
It's now official that the Chiefs will not be picking Geno Smith. They acquired Alex Smith from the 49ers on Wednesday afternoon. Go here for the grades I've given both the 49ers and Chiefs in the Alex Smith trade.

This selection is now a no-brainer in terms of which position the front office will address. The pick will come down to Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher. The latter had a better Combine, but there have been reports that the Chiefs love the Texas A&M product. Thus, he's the favorite to be the first play off the board on April 25. Of course, this all depends on what happens with Branden Albert, but he's apparently asking for too much money, so Kansas City will probably let him walk.

*** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Eric Fisher, OT - As discussed, the other left tackle possibility.

2. Sharrif Floyd, DE/DT - If the Chiefs re-sign Albert, they'll likely go with Sharrif Floyd as a big upgrade at defensive end.

By the way, I'm doing this live because I thought it'd be fun to get instant feedback. I'm going to post my mock anyway, so why not do it this way? Follow @walterfootball for updates.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
I've been hesitant to place Dion Jordan in my top 10 because of his shoulder issue. That's why I previously mocked him in the 15-19 range. Apparently it's not that big of a deal, as he's widely considered a top-six prospect. Most expect him to go to Philadelphia or Dallas, but I think Jacksonville is the most likely destination.

New head coach Gus Bradley met with the NFL Network crew during the Senior Bowl. He told them that one of the things he learned under Pete Carroll was to build the team on speed. Dion Jordan certainly fits the bill there, as he was one of the most explosive athletes at the Combine.

Jordan, who is definitely one of the top players available, fits Bradley's defense perfectly. Given that he's drawn comparisons to Aldon Smith, Jordan would improve the team's last-ranked pass rush. He would also be able to drop into coverage and defend tight ends - and that is key because the Texans and Colts both use multi-tight end sets.

1. Sharrif Floyd, DT - The Jaguars could stand to upgrade the interior of their defensive line as well.

Pick change; previously Star Lotulelei, DT

Oakland Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
Mike Mayock rated Sharrif Floyd above Star Lotulelei prior to the Combine, and he wasn't the first to do so. There's a ton of buzz about Floyd, with some of the ESPN and Scouts Inc. analysts ranking him in the top 10 of their big boards. He has so much upside and versatility that he could end up being a top-five pick. It's possible that the Raiders would view him as the best player available. Of course, this is much more of an obvious pick in the wake of Lotulelei's heart condition.

Floyd makes a ton of sense from a needs staindpoint. Richard Seymour's contract has been voided. Meanwhile, Tommy Kelly is a bum who doesn't care about winning. He's a thug who has played so sluggishly this year in the rare instances when he wasn't trying to injure the opposing quarterback, so there's no chance he's going to see a penny of his $6.5 million salary in 2013. He's as good as gone, and 15-year-old head coach Dennis Allen lost all respect in the locker room for not cutting him after the opener.

1. Dion Jordan/Ezekiel Ansah, DE - Only the Jaguars had fewer sacks than the Raiders this past year. The pass rush must improve.

2. Geno Smith, QB - There's been speculation that the Raiders have taken a liking to Geno Smith. If the Chiefs pass on him, another AFC West team could draft him.

Philadelphia Eagles: Sheldon Richardson, DE/DT, Missouri
The Eagles are switching to the 3-4 even though they don't have the personnel to run that style of defense. They'll obviously have to do something about that.

One of the positions Philadelphia has to address is defensive end. The front office dumped both Cullen Jenkins (too expensive) and Mike Patterson (didn't fit the 3-4) on Monday, so it'll have to find someone to play across from Fletcher Cox. That someone could be Sheldon Richardson, who makes a ton of sense. He's one of the top players available and would fit perfectly into a 3-4 scheme.

1. Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher, OT - The Eagles have to upgrade their offensive line. Jason Peters is coming off an Achilles. He and Todd Herremans are both in their 30s.

2. DeMarcus Milliner, CB - A cornerback hasn't been chosen in the top four since Charles Woodson in 1998, but that trend could be broken this year because of the lack of talent atop the class. The Eagles need corner help with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie hitting free agency and Nnamdi Asomugha likely to be released.

Pick change; previously Eric Fisher, OT

Detroit Lions: DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama
The Lions' M.O. is to take the top player available. That would be DeMarcus Milliner in this situation. Cornerbacks usually don't go in the top five unless they are top-notch elite prospects, but this draft class is so horrendous at the top that Milliner could easily go No. 4 or 5.

It seems like Detroit has needed cornerback help for ages; general manager Martin Mayhew even admitted that he's looking for one. He could finally put an end to that by selecting Milliner.

1. Ezekiel Ansah, DE - The Lions cut Kyle Vanden Bosch and could be losing Cliff Avril in free agency. The coaching staff got a close look at Ezekiel Ansah at the Senior Bowl.

2. Eric Fisher, OT - Gosder Cherilus is a free agent, so a right tackle (and future left tackle) is needed if Riley Reiff moves inside.

Pick change; previously Ezekiel Ansah, DE

Cleveland Browns: Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU
The Browns need to improve their pass rush. Jabaal Sheard led the team in sacks with only seven. Juqua Parker-Thomas was next with six, and he's a 35-year-old free agent.

Ezekiel Ansah, who is a top-10 pick according to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah, makes sense from a scheme perspective. Michael Lombardi learned from Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, who both prefer larger rush linebackers. Ansah (271 pounds) dwarfs most of the other pass-rushers. He also possesses unbelievable upside, which will intrigue the Browns.

1. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB - Another pass-rushing possibility, should Dion Jordan fall to No. 6. Lombardi will likely want to bolster this group.

2. DeMarcus Milliner, CB - The Browns need cornerback help across from Joe Haden with Sheldon Brown hitting free agency.

Pick change; previously Damontre Moore, DE

Arizona Cardinals: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
Eric Fisher has soared up big boards with his impressive performances at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Mike Mayock stated that Fisher could challenge Luke Joeckel to be the first tackle off the board. I wouldn't be surprised if he even went No. 1, so this has to be considered a steal for the Cardinals.

It doesn't matter who the quarterback is; if the Cardinals can't pass protect, that signal-caller will struggle. I can't imagine Arizona passing on Fisher if he's available. He's one of the top prospects remaining, so unless the Cardinals really don't like him, they'll select him to be the cornerstone of their new offensive front.

1. Chance Warmack, G - Guards don't go in the top 10, but this year is different, as previously stated.

2. Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB - The Cardinals will likely go offense at No. 7 overall, but if they do opt to address the defense, they'll likely want to fix their poor pass rush.

Pick change; previously Chance Warmack, G

Buffalo Bills: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
General manager Buddy Nix, who is generally forthcoming about his offseason plans, told the media that he plans on drafting a franchise quarterback. He even said he'll trade up for one in the 2013 NFL Draft. He may have been talking about Geno Smith if the Chiefs pass on him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up to No. 5 in order to leapfrog the Browns and Cardinals.

Many will criticize this move, but Nix is desperate. If he wants to keep his job, he'll have to find a franchise quarterback quickly. I think he'll swing for the fences with Smith, who undoubtedly has first-round talent; he just needs to put it all together. I'm pretty convinced that Nix will talk himself into taking Smith or another quarterback at No. 8 overall. Don't look for it to be Ryan Nassib though; it's been reported that Buffalo doesn't like him very much.

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR - Buffalo could go with a wideout here and then a quarterback in Round 2. Patterson's the big type of receiver Buddy Nix is looking for.

New York Jets: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Mike Tannenbaum was recently fired because he put the Jets in an awful cap position, but given that he's a recent, former employee, he almost definitely has some inside information about the team. He mocked Cordarrelle Patterson to New York in a 10-team mock draft a few days ago, and the other NFL Network panelists followed suit.

Cordarrelle Patterson is very raw, and he normally wouldn't be a top-10 prospect. However, this draft class is awful at the very top, so Patterson has a legitimate shot to be picked eighth or ninth. Patterson doesn't have much collegiate experience, but he's a dynamic athlete who has drawn comparisons to Julio Jones. Patterson would give the Jets a much-needed No. 1 wideout option.

1. Ezekiel Ansah or Bjoern Werner, DE/OLB - The Jets need a lot of things, including a top-notch pass-rusher.

2. DeMarcus Milliner, CB - If the Jets trade either Darrelle Revis or Antonio Cromartie, they'll definitely consider Milliner if he's available.

Pick change; previously Bjoern Werner, DE

Tennessee Titans: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
The Titans desperately want DeMarcus Milliner, but they'll probably have to trade up to get him. However, they're unlikely to move up because they feel like they have too many needs. Thus, they're a bit stuck if Milliner goes in the top nine.

I normally wouldn't mock a guard in the top 10, but three things: 1) Chance Warmack is a rare talent who is regarded by some to be the top prospect in this class. 2) General manager Ruston Webster said he has no reservations about taking a guard this high. He also declared that he wants to upgrade the interior of his offensive line. 3) Again, this draft class stinks at the top, so if there were ever a year in which a guard could finally break thet top 10 again, this would be it.

1. DeMarcus Milliner, CB - I guarantee that Milliner will not make it past the Titans, should he fall for some unexpected reason.

2. Desmond Trufant, CB - Another cornerback option. As Charlie mentioned to me, general manager Ruston Webster is familiar with Washington's program, having drafted Jake Locker recently. Trufant had an awesome Combine.

Pick change; previously DeMarcus Milliner, CB

San Diego Chargers: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
I usually don't have teams reach for need unless it involves the quarterback position. However, Lane Johnson had a terrific Senior Bowl and followed that up with a great Combine, so this isn't really considered a reach anymore.

The Chargers could be forced into making this selection anyway. Philip Rivers appears to be regressing, but it's impossible to tell if that's the case because he's getting slaughtered behind a pathetic offensive line. San Diego cannot, under any circumstances, enter the 2013 season with Jared Gaither as its starting left tackle. He's just way too injury-prone and unreliable.

1. Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB - San Diego may deem Barkevious Mingo to be the best player available. He'd make a ton of sense as a replacement for free agent Shaun Phillips.

2. Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper, G - The Chargers also have to upgrade the interior of their offensive line.

Miami Dolphins: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
Stud defensive tackle Randy Starks will be a free agent in March. If the Dolphins can't retain him, they'll have to find a replacement this offseason. They'd have the option of moving Jared Odrick inside, which is what they'll do in this scenario. But even if they franchise Starks, defensive end will be an option because Odrick isn't a very good fit there in Miami's 4-3. The Dolphins could use a dynamic pass-rusher across from Cameron Wake.

Bjoern Werner has drawn comparisons to Chris Long. He's not as athletic, but he's still the best pure 4-3 defensive end in this class. His draft range starts at No. 12. *** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Lane Johnson, OT - It's looking less likely that Jake Long will be back in Miami. If he leaves, the Dolphins will have to find a bookend for Jake Long.

2. Desmond Trufant, CB - The Dolphins look to be losing Sean Smith, so they need a new No. 1 cornerback.

Pick change; previously Sheldon Richardson, DT

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
The Buccaneers decided they didn't like Morris Claiborne very much, so they traded out of the No. 5 spot in the 2012 NFL Draft and selected Mark Barron two picks later. They really need cornerback help, especially in the wake of the Aqib Talib trade, so they'll almost have to remedy that need at this juncture.

Desmond Trufant had an awesome Combine on top of his excellent Senior Bowl. Like Stephon Gilmore last year, Trufant will be the cornerback to rise. He could go as high as No. 10.

1. Lane Johnson, OT - The Buccaneers have shown interest in Lane Johnson. Right tackle Demar Dotson is entering his contract year, while left tackle Donald Penn, who struggled down the stretch, is owed about $18 million over the next three years.

2. Xavier Rhodes, CB - The other cornerback option.

Carolina Panthers: Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
I don't know what to do with Star Lotulelei. He wasn't allowed to work at the Combine because of a heart condition. It could be something serious, but it could also be insignificant. Hopefully it's the latter. I think I'll slot Lotulelei here until I have more information.

I was told by a reliable source not to mock Fletcher Cox to the Panthers because they were satisfied with their current group of defensive tackles. Based on the rushing yardage they surrendered to Bryce Brown and Jamaal Charles at the end of the year, I highly doubt they'll feel the same way in April.

1. Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes, CB - The Panthers will be cutting Chris Gamble sometime soon. They'll need a new No. 1 cornerback.

2. Kenny Vaccaro, S - More safety help is needed.

Pick change; previously Kenny Vaccaro, S

New Orleans Saints: Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
The Saints fired Steve Spagnuolo and announced that they are moving to a 3-4 defense. A new scheme doesn't mean they'll be able to fix their old problems, however. They still need to find a top pass-rusher to make things easier for an overmatched secondary. Barkevious Mingo makes a ton of sense here as one of the top prospects available.

1. Damontre Moore or Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB - More pass-rushing options for the Saints' new 3-4.

2. Star Lotulelei, NT - Brodrick Bunkley is currently slated to be the team's nose tackle. New Orleans may not view him as a viable option for the position. If that's the case, Star Lotulelei will be considered if he checks out medically.

Pick change; previously Dion Jordan, DE/OLB

St. Louis Rams: Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina
The Rams desperately need to upgrade their offensive front. Jeff Fisher said it as much - he defended Sam Bradford recently by saying the blocking needs to get better up front. Expect St. Louis to make multiple upgrades to the offensive line this offseason.

I'd hate the idea of slotting two guards in the top 20, but Jonathan Cooper is capable of playing all three interior positions. Fisher will love his versatility.

1. Chance Warmack, G or Lane Johnson, OT - It'll be tough for the Rams to pass on Chance Warmack or Lane Johnson if they're available.

2. Kenny Vaccaro, S - St. Louis' front office has stated that it wants to improve the safety position.

Pick change; previously Cordarrelle Patterson, WR
Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
As in my pre-Combine mock draft, Jarvis Jones drops to No. 17 overall. I had Jones going No. 2 overall back in January, but check out Charlie's rumor mill entry on why Jones is expected to slide. On top of that, at least a dozen teams have red flags on Jones because of his spinal issue.

I believe dumb groupthink will cause Jones to fall on Draft Day. General managers will be petrified of his medical. But, as smart teams like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, etc. often do, they'll snatch up a plummeting draft prospect and laugh at all of the dumb organizations constantly picking in the top 10 as they field yet another Pro Bowler.

Jones isn't just the best player available; he fills a big need as well. James Harrison may not be back next year. He'll be due $6.6 million as a 35-year-old who is having trouble staying healthy. The Steelers may spend an early pick on a rush linebacker.

Follow @walterfootball for updates.

Dallas Cowboys: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
The safety position was a major weak point for the Cowboys this past season after Barry Church tore his Achilles' tendon. Church was extended prior to the injury, but he's owed less than $1 million next year, so that won't prevent Dallas from picking a safety early. Kenny Vaccaro is the top player available at this juncture.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Cooper, G/C

New York Giants: Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Smart teams like the Giants, Steelers and Ravens always end up getting a prospect who falls during the draft. Teams constantly selecting in the top 15 are stupid, so intelligent front offices take advantage of their dumb decisions on Draft Day. One player who's probably going to drop is Damontre Moore. He did not perform well at the Combine, posting just 12 bench press reps and running an ugly 40 before getting hurt.

Giant fans know that general manager Jerry Reese loves drafting pass-rushers. With Osi Umenyiora entering free agency this March and Justin Tuck having a down year, Reese may select a defensive end early this April.

Pick change; previously Alec Ogletree, LB

Chicago Bears: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
The Bears have revealed that they will be searching for a speed element to their passing game this offseason. If that's the case, they won't hesitate selecting Tavon Austin if he's available at this juncture. Chicago cannot have Devin Hester on the field as a receiver any longer.

Austin has jumped into top-20 consideration after a sterling Combine. He had one of the fastest 40s and was terrific in the drills. He has drawn comparisons to Percy Harvin and Wes Welker.

Pick change; previously D.J. Fluker, OT

Cincinnati Bengals: Xavier Rhodes, CB/S, Florida State
The Bengals want Kenny Vaccaro, but he didn't make it to them in this addition. If he's not on the board, they'll go with the best player available, and that happens to be Xavier Rhodes.

Cincinnati just drafted Dre Kirkpatrick in the first round last year, but Rhodes is still in play because he can easily move to safety. Also, the team has zero cornerback depth, which is a problem because Mike Zimmer loves having three corners on the field.

Pick change; previously Manti Te'o, LB

St. Louis Rams: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
James Laurinaitis and JoLonn Dunbar played pretty well this past season, but no one the team tried at strongside linebacker did very well. Alec Ogletree makes sense as one of the top prospects available.

Ogletree was recently arrested for a DUI. He's also had some other off-the-field issues. However, this won't deter the Rams, who have taken chances on character guys in this regime. It's worked out so far.

Minnesota Vikings: Keenan Allen, WR, California
The front office has to add more talent to complement a very inconsistent Christian Ponder. The Vikings need an upgrade across from Percy Harvin, as Jerome Simpson is way too inconsistent to be a No. 2 receiver. Harvin may not even be back with the Vikings next year, so Minnesota may target two wideout upgrades this offseason.

Pick change; previously Johnathan Hankins, NT

Indianapolis Colts: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
If you've watched the Colts at all in the final couple of weeks to close out the season, you know that their offensive line must be upgraded because Andrew Luck constantly had defenders in his face. Winston Justice was always hobbling on and off the field with various injuries.

Pick change; previously Johnathan Banks, CB

Seattle Seahawks: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
Seattle's defense is dominant, but one thing the unit is lacking is a consistent interior pass-rushing presence. Perhaps Kawann Short can fix that. He's one of the top players available.

The Combine didn't provide any answers, partly because some guys didn't run, but the Pro Day could dictate this pick for me. Pete "Bazuzu" Carroll is all about building his team on speed.

Pick change; previously Bennie Logan, DT

Green Bay Packers: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Jermichael Finley recently said that his chances of staying with the Packers is 50/50. Jason La Canfora reported that Finley won't return. If that's the case, the Packers will be searching for a tight end early in the 2013 NFL Draft. Tyler Eifert distanced himself from Zach Ertz at the Combine.

Pick change; previously Keenan Allen, WR

Houston Texans: Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
There's a ton of uncertainty at inside linebacker for Houston. Brian Cushing is coming off a torn ACL, Bradie James is an impending free agent who isn't very good, while neither Tim Dobbins nor Darryl Sharpton is worthy of starting.

Denver Broncos: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
There's a chance a running back won't be chosen in the first round this year, but Eddie Lacy has a shot of being picked toward the end of Thursday night. He had a terrific showing in the national championship and has earned fringe first-round status.

John Fox is not shy about using early selections on running backs. He needs one. Willis McGahee is old, Knowshon Moreno can't be trusted, and Ronnie Hillman's just a chance-of-pace back.

New England Patriots: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
The Patriots don't have much of an interior pass rush. They may spend an early draft choice on a complement for Vince Wilfork.

Sylvester Williams, who had a solid Senior Bowl, has the size and scheme versatility that Bill Belichick likes in his defensive linemen.

Pick change; previously Kawann Short, DT

Atlanta Falcons: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
The overpaid Ray Edwards was cut during the season. Meanwhile, John Abraham will turn 35 a week after the 2013 NFL Draft. Defensive end will be a priority early in the 2013 NFL Draft, and the Falcons may even double dip at the position in the first few rounds.

Pick change; previously Alex Okafor, DE/OLB

San Francisco 49ers: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Despite making the Pro Bowl, Donte Whitner hasn't been very good this year (he surrendered more touchdowns than any safety). Dashon Goldson, meanwhile, was slapped with a franchise tag this prior offseason. The 49ers, who might want to upgrade the secondary after Joe Flacco torched them in the Super Bowl, will need a replacement if they can't sign him to a long-term deal.

Jonathan Cyprien made this big leap recently. There's so much buzz about him recently, and there are multiple reports indicating that several teams have him ranked as the No. 2 safety in this class.

Baltimore Ravens: Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State
This pick is all about figuring out which player will fall to the Ravens. Ozzie Newsome frequently scoops up plummeting prospects, and there's no reason to believe that this year will be any different. The tumbling prospect could easily be Johnathan Hankins because he looked sluggish at the Combine and consequently ran slowly.

Terrence Cody is a bust. He was playing behind Ma'ake Kemoeatu in his third season. Kemoeatu is a 34-year-old free agent, so the Ravens may want to bring in a new nose tackle this offseason.

Pick change; previously John Jenkins, NT

link

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
their mock:
6. Ansah
68. Nassib
101. MArquis Goodwin.

I would lose my poop. In a bad way.

Legend
Legend
I'd be pissed if we drafted a Guard at 6...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Well, that means that the Browns can't draft a guard at #6. They tremble in fear that they might . you off.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I can understand that, as I would have some mixed emotions, but in the end i would be OK. I think Warmack is the best player on the board and is another Steve Hutchenson. Not a sexy pick by any means, but watching him pancake guys for Ricardson would sooth the chapped asses pretty quickly.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
you could drop down if you wanted Warmack, couldn't you? Arizona or Buffalo might move up to get Geno Smith, or another mid-round team might want one of the pass rushers. Maybe you get a two that way.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw one mock (I think it was a CBS sports or an SI mock) that had 2 guards going in the top 10. I would almost be willing to bet my house that that doesn't happen.

As for taking Womack at 6, I would be okay with that. Not thrilled but okay. I think we saw last year that Pinkston is not the answer. Our oline play got significantly better when Greco replaced him. And Greco is nothing but a good depth player. Our oline is really really good in pass protection. We need more power in the run game. Bringing in a guy like Womack would add that power and improve our run game. I would prefer though to upgrade OG vis free agency. Vasquez would fit nicely.

Jester #755305 02/28/13 07:49 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd be reluctant to spend 7-9mil/year on an above AVG power-run G-only in FA, I just don't see it as money well spent, especially since we have to re-sign Mack soon and that won't be cheap....we can't burn 50% of our cap on the OL folks. Vasquez isn't a Grubbs or Nicks, he's not close to that class, he's just the best OG out there and he'll want to get paid like those 2 elite guys....OL get better with time, a year ago Vasquez was a nobody, all of a sudden we want to throw 7mil at him

We have a young G group with Lauvao, Pinky, Greco and Miller....sign Schwartz' brother Geoff for T/G depth and move on, let them grow

Wastin top10 picks and 7mil in FA? Pff, as if we have no other problems, lol In case you missed it, our OL is our best unit on the team

#gmstrong

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Millner, Floyd and Joeckel are the 3 locks for top 5. Banner is gonna bang the table for Warmack. Chud probably will as well. Even Mayock has been talking about if the Browns add Warmack at LG they would have the best OL in football and lets face it Mayock and Lombardi are super tight and I am sure talk every single day.

After the combines, I am starting to think we will take a guard at #6 overall. I want the pass rusher or Rhodes (I think he is gonna be that good). For those pimping the OG, they may very well get their wish.

Isn't that kinda high for a OG?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
To answer your question: the highest drafted OGs since 2000 were Hutchinson and Iupati, both at 17th overall

Warmack is so overrated, it's laughable...he's a RG-only as I doubt he's athletic enough to play LG in the NFL. He won't have many dwarf DL he can dominate in the NFL anymore, he'll need to move his big ol butt and that happens to be his weakness: athleticism. I still predict Cooper to have a much better NFL career and thus would draft him over Warmack every time...but neither at 6th overall

We have all kinds of holes on much more important positions and we're seriously thinking about wasting a top10 pick on an already top 10, if not top5 unit in the league....only in Cleveland

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Addressing 2 of your posts here in one repluy DJ:

1 - Regarding Vasquez - As with all FA signings you have to look at the talent/cost ratio. No I most definitely would not pay him $9 million a year. If that is what it costs to get him I go another route. I was thinking $3-4 possibly $5. If he demands $7-9 then he can play somewhere else. I picked Vasquez as an example because everyone knows his name but it could be some other FA guard.

2 - A lot of teams add to the strength of their roster. 1st example theat comes to mind are the NYG. They have a strong dline but still draft Kiawanuka a few years ago. Back when Parcells was their HC they had by far the best Lb corp in the NFL and still drafted Lb's. It doesn't take a lot to turn a strength into a weakness. One player leaves by free agency another tears an ACL and low and behole in less than 2 seasons a strength becomes a weakness.

Note to you DJ - I am just discussing concepts here. Do not mistake that for me wanting to grab an OG at #6.

Jester #755310 02/28/13 10:28 AM
Legend
Legend
I'd much rather grab Warmack Lite from Youngstown State, Lamar Mady, in the draft.

He put up the second-most reps on the bench of all OL at the combine at 35. He's 6'2" 317# which is basically the same size as the top 2 guards in the draft (Warmack 6'2" 317#, Cooper 6'2" 311#.) He looked really good for a guard in the edge rush drill, much better than Warmack did. Also, he was the only lineman that stood out to me at the Texas vs. the Nation game as dominating the line of scrimmage. We can probably grab him with our sixth round pick.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/UTR-Lamar-Mady.aspx

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

you could drop down if you wanted Warmack, couldn't you? Arizona or Buffalo might move up to get Geno Smith, or another mid-round team might want one of the pass rushers. Maybe you get a two that way.

Sure. There are lot's of things you could, or might be able to do.

All I am saying is if it happens I am not going to run around in a frantic manner, waving my arms in the air, claiming the world has ended.

I'll know we have a great player, and I am good with that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

To answer your question: the highest drafted OGs since 2000 were Hutchinson and Iupati, both at 17th overall

Warmack is so overrated, it's laughable...he's a RG-only as I doubt he's athletic enough to play LG in the NFL. He won't have many dwarf DL he can dominate in the NFL anymore, he'll need to move his big ol butt and that happens to be his weakness: athleticism. I still predict Cooper to have a much better NFL career and thus would draft him over Warmack every time...but neither at 6th overall

We have all kinds of holes on much more important positions and we're seriously thinking about wasting a top10 pick on an already top 10, if not top5 unit in the league....only in Cleveland

To be fair Django, I don't think I've heard the Browns speak specifically about anyone. it's just fan talk.. which, makes it meaningless...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard