3 - William Gholston, DE- Michigan State

4 - Brandon Jenkins, OLB- Florida State

5 - Marcus Davis, WR- Virginia Tech

6a- Dion Sims, TE- Michigan State

6b- Ricky Wagner, ROT- Wisconsin

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd much rather grab Warmack Lite from Youngstown State, Lamar Mady, in the draft.

He put up the second-most reps on the bench of all OL at the combine at 35. He's 6'2" 317# which is basically the same size as the top 2 guards in the draft (Warmack 6'2" 317#, Cooper 6'2" 311#.) He looked really good for a guard in the edge rush drill, much better than Warmack did. Also, he was the only lineman that stood out to me at the Texas vs. the Nation game as dominating the line of scrimmage. We can probably grab him with our sixth round pick.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/UTR-Lamar-Mady.aspx

Yep. Mady's gonna be a solid pro. I really don't think that he's going to make it to the 6th round though. I suspect that he might sneak in as high as the late 4th/5th round with his tape, and his performance at the combine.

I want no part of a round one Guard right now. Maybe if we hadn't already heavily invested in the OL, then it might make sense ...... but we need weapons on both offense and defense ..... and adding a high 1st round Guard to an OL that already has a 1st round LT and C ..... and a high 2nd round RT. Sooner or later we need speed positions with talent on both sides of the ball.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I think Millner, Floyd and Joeckel are the 3 locks for top 5. Banner is gonna bang the table for Warmack. Chud probably will as well. Even Mayock has been talking about if the Browns add Warmack at LG they would have the best OL in football and lets face it Mayock and Lombardi are super tight and I am sure talk every single day.

After the combines, I am starting to think we will take a guard at #6 overall. I want the pass rusher or Rhodes (I think he is gonna be that good). For those pimping the OG, they may very well get their wish.

Isn't that kinda high for a OG?

It would have to be a guaranteed Hall of fame guard in a weak class before I would consider one in the top 20. Banner is big on trench guys.

Personally, I like Warford over Wormack. I think he is the type of player the AFC North teams will absolutely hate to play against. If the 49ers were to want to trade up, I would have no problem taking Warford at the end of the first. It is just like with a linebacker that isn't a pass rusher,I have a difficult time taking one in the first and would never take one in the top 20.

BTW I do like Pinkston but it was obvious something was wrong with him in camp and now the blood clot issue makes guard a need position. I doubt he returns. Greco is a backup thats it. It is going to be a buyers market for OL in free agency and the draft. Kent St Brian Winters might be a good target in the 4th.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't that kinda high for a OG?

It would have to be a guaranteed Hall of fame guard in a weak class before I would consider one in the top 20. Banner is big on trench guys.

But nobody knows how any pick will turn out.

Weak, strong, top-heavy, RB-strong....blah, blah, blah. If he's the BPA, according to your board, you take him (especially if you don't already own a great player in that position).

I'll never understand the mentality of skippinng a certain position because of what number you're at. If they grade out better than the other players around them, so what.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Because different positions have disparate impacts on the game.

A guard might have the least impact on offense of any position.

Obviously the QB is #1, the LT is #2...and from then on rationale debate can begin.

If we draft Warmack at 6 he has to be a HoF caliber player to get our money's worth. It's a lot like drafting Richardson at 3 last year. TRich has to be a Top 5 RB in the NFL...like now....to be in the ballpark of being worth it. Hopefully that one pans out.

I like Warmack. I like him a lot. But man he has to be an awesome pro to make it worth it. It just might be worth it, we'll see.

If we got Steve Hutchinson 2.0 it would be well worth it.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

A guard might have the least impact on offense of any position.

We just disagree there my friend. I think a good guard impacts the game in a big way.

The shortest way to the QB is up the middle. If you have a hole there, you have a big hole. A QB can cover for a tackle who lets his guys loose as long as the tackle lets his guy loose outside. The QB can step up. I think tackles have a easier job in pass protection against a top outside rusher then does a guard against a serious inside rusher. The tackle can guard the inside lane first because he knows his QB can step up a step or two and ruin the rushers free angle and bring the rusher back to him where he can ride him wide.. Guards pretty much have to stonewall the front or there is no stepping up. Tackles can ride their guy outside with a QB's help. The QB needs a wall in front of him for the tackles to look good.

You get rushed up the middle, you're screwed as a QB.

Guards also impact the running game in a big way. If you can't run between the tackles, you'll never be able to run outside the tackles is my opinion. Defensive players are too fast and you can crash more players in than you can out to the edges since you can bring them from both sides of the field.

To me, just like baseball, the perfect game, you build up the middle on O in football first.

QB, center, guards, backs, then tackles.

That will win you games, just as in baseball, you go pitchers, catchers, middle infielders, and centerfielder.

If you don't get that right, you aren't going to be right.

JMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We're definitely going to disagree on this one.

The skillset necessary to be a Guard is way easier to find than the skillset to be a Tackle.

There just aren't a lot of 300+ guys who are comfortable in space. That's why the Wide 9 became popular. And that's why most people crave an edge rusher than an interior player.

Guards are protected on both sides. They play in a phone booth. The guys coming up the middle are rarely bigger or stronger than a Guard. Quicker usually but that can be schemed for. Yes Guards pull so they can't be too slow footed but still it's way easier than being a Tackle. Heck half of the Guards in the NFL were Tackles on their college teams...typically left tackles..since that's where you put your most athletic O-Lineman.

You ask anyone who they'd rather have...Steve Hutchenson or Walter Jones from Seattle. And it'd be unanimous Jones...and we're talking about two HoF guys.

If you're serious that you'd rather build in from the middle then you and I are going to differ.

This isn't baseball. And who watches baseball anyway?!?

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Your entitled to your opinion,and 10-15 years ago you would have been correct.
The most important positions on the team?
Look at the pay scale for each position,that will tell you who is valued more.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Quote:

To answer your question: the highest drafted OGs since 2000 were Hutchinson and Iupati, both at 17th overall

Warmack is so overrated, it's laughable...he's a RG-only as I doubt he's athletic enough to play LG in the NFL. He won't have many dwarf DL he can dominate in the NFL anymore, he'll need to move his big ol butt and that happens to be his weakness: athleticism. I still predict Cooper to have a much better NFL career and thus would draft him over Warmack every time...but neither at 6th overall

We have all kinds of holes on much more important positions and we're seriously thinking about wasting a top10 pick on an already top 10, if not top5 unit in the league....only in Cleveland

this x100

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'm on board with you here Peen.

Especially with your stated opinion that at #6 overall we need a guy who is likely to be the best at his position - certainly coming out of the draft and possibly in the NFL.

I think the lack of a sure-fire stud(s) pass rusher is skewing the conventional wisdom of taking an interior OL in the top 20 or so - at least for us since we don't need a OT, there is no sure-fire QB either, etc.

For us this year, if the dominant player available to us at #6 is a G, and the pass rushers/QBs have question marks...I'm taking that G and not thinking twice about it. Or...

I'm trading down and getting more picks in a (somewhat) deep - yet not stellar - draft.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Then we differ.

You take the players as they come. No doubt I love having Joe Thomas, but it is crazy to say guards have the least impact of any position.

Some may be at more of a premium, but all positions have the same impact on a team. Each guy has to do the job.

I can tell you this...a qb is far more at ease with pressure from the edge then he is straight up the gut in his face. Pressure from the edge is something good QB's feel. Pressure up the middle is something they see and takes their eyes off the receiving targets.

Like I said, if the QB has a stonewall in front of him, as that clock ticks, he can step up a step or two and all of a sudden that tackle who is losing his position to the outside is now in perfect position.

I know the premium for LT's as a example proples them to the top of the wage scale, for some of the reasons you mentioned, but this idea you can keep throwing the Zuk's of the world at the guard position is idiotic.

Sure, you can get guards in later rounds easier than say a LT, but when you can get a guy most everybody thinks is going to stud out at the guard position, I think you don't hesitate.

Again, I am not really pimping the guy other than to say he would be worth the pick and dispelling the idea that since he is a guard he shouldn't be considered.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Browns under immense pressure to hit home run at No. 6
By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
March 1, 2013 11:32 am ET

The Browns have to get it right with the No. 6 overall pick. Barring a trade, they'll watch 60 picks pass before they're on the clock again in the third round.

That's why Josh Gordon is the biggest storyline of the 2013 draft for the Cleveland Browns.

To add Gordon in the supplemfntal draft last summer, the Browns sacrificed their 2013 second-round pick. At 6-3, 225, he caught 50 passes, averaged 16.1 yards per catch and was praised by former head coach Pat Shurmur for being a quick study. He turns 22 next month, of like age to most of the 2013 draft class.

The downside: He's raw, runs unrefined multiple-breaking routes and relies on his natural ability to win one-on-one. His catch percentage (receptions/targets) was 52.1 percent, at poor number that should also factor the rookie quarterback on the other end of those throws.

Cleveland needs Gordon to perform like a No. 1 receiver, and do it soon.

CEO Joe Banner, GM Mike Lombardi and head coach Rob Chudzinski are a few of Browns' employees under more pressure than Gordon and 2012 first-round pick (22nd overall) Brandon Weeden.

In a draft with depth but a dearth of star power, finding the best playmaker available is the charge.

Lombardi intimated free agency could compensate for the Browns' scarcity of draft-day assets. Wide receiver Mike Wallace, whom Lombardi called one of the best receivers in the league in 2011, is thought to be one free-agent target.

What the team is shopping for at No. 6 can't be determined today. Free agency shapes need and Chudzinski has scheduled a three-day veteran minicamp before the draft to get a better read on Weeden. There can be no contact in the minicamp, but Chudzinski expects to learn more about Weeden and the rest of his team when he gets his players on the field than he can evaluating film.

Banner says the Browns won't become contenders until they get a quarterback they know they can win with -- he also didn't say it wasn't Weeden -- an offensive line to protect him and a defense that can put relentless pressure on the opposing quarterback.

Banner offered no prediction of how long it will take to find those three parts. He is not giving up on Weeden, but he would not go into detail on the team's evaluation of him.

"It wouldn't be productive to be overly specific about that," Banner said. "But we're telling you that we see potential that we're going to try to work with it and see what it's going to develop into. Some of that is just going to come from how bad he wants it. So I think we'll know a lot more than we know now shortly."

Knowing what we know March 1 -- subject to change post-free agency -- here are four players the Browns must consider at No. 6:

1. Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones.

Cleveland ranked in the bottom half of the NFL in 12 of 19 defensive categories in 2012; overall defense (23rd), sacks per pass play (19th), first downs allowed per game (27th) and points per game (19th) being most disconcerting. They'll have a new look in a 3-4 defense and want to blitz more under the leadership of new defensive coordinator Ray Horton. Jones might not be available; if teams downgrade Jones (spinal stenosis), the Browns should take the gamble. He had 13.5 sacks last season. The Browns haven't had a player with 10 sacks in a season since Kamerion Wimbley had 11 in 2006.

2. BYU OLB Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah.

Ansah played outside linebacker and defensive end at BYU, but has only two seasons of football experience on any level. But his natural pass-rush instincts jump out. He wowed at the Senior Bowl -- Lions coach Jim Schwartz said he's nowhere near as raw as most suggest -- and he proved as much in OLB workouts at the combine. His 10-yard split of 1.56 show Ansah's off-the-ball explosiveness. Teams considering Ansah are also interested in Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan, but durability questions are more worrisome than Ansah's limited experience.

3. Utah DL Star Lotulelei.

As a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 defensive line that would also include active and power behemoth Ahtyba Rubin (82 tackles in 2010) and 335-pounder Phil Taylor, Lotulelei could give the Browns an elite defensive line that would rival glory days Patriots' wrecking crews that starred first-round picks Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren. Lotulelei's medical grade remains TBD. If he's found to be fine after heart function tests revealed a potential issue in Indianapolis, Star won't be around long. He compares physically to Haloti Ngata of the Ravens.

4. Alabama CB Dee Milliner.

He's a common answer to questions about who is the "top talent" or "safest pick" in this draft. A junior who started on two national championship teams and received NFL-level coaching from secondary expert Nick Saban, Milliner has size, speed and tackles. Alongside 2011 seventh overall pick Joe Haden, Milliner's coverage skills should make a modest pass rush look better than it is. Those concerned about locking up too much money at one position should note Haden (five years, $50 million pre-rookie draft slotting) will be paid like a top cornerback. Milliner would get a contract very near the four-year, $16.4 million deal signed by Morris Claiborne with the Cowboys as the No. 6 pick in 2012.

For a frame of reference, the Browns signed Dimitri Patterson to a three-year, $16 million deal last March.

Buster Skrine could replace free agent Sheldon Brown as a starting cornerback, but the Browns are more likely to seek one in free agency or the draft. web page

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watched some video of some potential OLb prospects for out round 3 pick.

Khaseem Greene vs Virginia Tech
Jaimie Collins vs Nebraska
Corey Lemonier vs Alabama

Greene - The best of the group. Not great in any aspect but all around solid. He was moved around a lot. Lined up as a DE, Olb and ILb but mostly ILb.

Collins - Somewhat neutralized by the Nebraska offense which features a quick passing game but looked like a very good pass rusher. Not stout against the run by any means but okay. Poor dropping into coverage. Lined up almost exclusively as an Olb.

Lemonier - very disappointed. I was hoping to see more but he just didn't make any plays in this game. Lined up mostly as a DE. He put up good stats the 1st half of the season but then dropped off in the later part of the season. The Alabama game I watched was the last game of the season. Was there an injury? Don't know why his production fell off.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #755326 03/04/13 02:29 PM
Rookie
Rookie
you brought up two guys who I've liked since about mid-season. Collins and Lemonier. I think both will be better pros then college players. Both can run, and rush the passer. I especially like Collins, not because of the combine, but because he was used in multiple roles at So. Miss.. He needs to get a little stronger, and needs some real coaching, but the skies the limit. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed some of these other pass rushers. Some guys focus to much on the high profile guys to much, and forget good players can be had all over. Two other guys I like, that probably won't be drafted, but I think can be solid depth guys at MLB are Hepburn from Florida A&M, and Stewart from Texas A&M.

Last edited by DFbrowns44; 03/04/13 02:31 PM.

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
P
Legend
Legend
P
We need to Take JONES and never look back ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

We need to Take JONES and never look back ... JMHO

I like Jones. Solid player in the SEC....great pedigree. I just worry about his spine. Much is going to depend on his medical check.

The Cleveland Clinic has a great reputation. I am sure we will get the best input available.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Just read that a little known WR named Terrell Sinkfield ran a 4.19 at the pro day at Minnesota... kid went to NorthernEIowa...

4.19 is sort of quick.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Mayock's upated draft rankings:

Quote:

Quarterback
1. Geno Smith, West Virginia
2. Matt Barkley, USC
3. Mike Glennon, N.C. State
4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Running Back
1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama
2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
3. Andre Ellington, Clemson
4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina

Wide Receiver
1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Keenan Allen, Cal
3. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
4. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
5. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson

New entry: Hopkins
Rise: Austin (4), Patton (5)
Out: Terrance Williams, Baylor (3)

Tight End
1. Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
2. Zach Ertz, Stanford
3. Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
4. Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
5. Vance McDonald, Rice

New entry: McDonald
Out: Jordan Reed, Florida (5)

Center
1. Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
2. Brian Schwenke, Cal
3. Barrett Jones, Alabama
4. Khaled Holmes, USC
5. Braxston Cave, Notre Dame

Guard
1. Chance Warmack, Alabama
2. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
3. Larry Warford, Kentucky
4. Kyle Long, Oregon
5. Brian Winters, Kent State

Tackle
1. Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
2. Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
3. Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
4. D.J. Fluker, Alabama
T-5. Menelik Watson, Florida State
T-5. Justin Pugh, Syracuse

4-3 Defensive End
1. Bjoern Werner, Florida State
2. Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
3. Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
4. Sam Montgomery, LSU
5. Tank Carradine, Florida State

3-4 Defensive End
1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
2. Margus Hunt, SMU
3. Datone Jones, UCLA
4. Jesse Williams, Alabama
5. William Gholston, Michigan State

Defensive Tackle
1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida
2. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
3. Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
4. Kawann Short, Purdue
5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Rise: Richardson (3), Williams (4), Short (5)

4-3 Outside Linebacker
1. Jarvis Jones, Georgia
2. Khaseem Greene, Rutgers
3. Arthur Brown, Kansas State
4. Sio Moore, Connecticut
5. Chase Thomas, Stanford

3-4 Outside Linebacker
1. Dion Jordan, Oregon
2. Jamie Collins, Southern Miss
3. Barkevious Mingo, LSU
4. Michael Buchanan, Illinois
5. Corey Lemonier, Auburn

Inside Linebacker
1. Alec Ogletree, Georgia
2. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
3. Kevin Minter, LSU
4. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina
5. Kiko Alonso, Oregon

Cornerback
1. Dee Milliner, Alabama
2. Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
3. Desmond Trufant, Washington
4. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut
5. B.W. Webb, William & Mary

New entry: Wreh-Wilson, Webb
Rise: Trufant (4), Patton (5)
Out: Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State (3); Jordan Poyer, Oregon State (5)

Safety
1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
2. Matt Elam, Florida
3. Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International
4. Eric Reid, LSU
5. Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse

New entry: Thomas
Out: Zeke Motta, Notre Dame (5)

Link

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Just read that a little known WR named Terrell Sinkfield ran a 4.19 at the pro day at Minnesota... kid went to Northern Iowa...

4.19 is sort of quick.

no, a 4.19 40time is sort of fast. you'd have to give me his shuttle time to determine if he is also quick

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
How soon before we get a player who runs a sub 4 second 40?

Used to be that a 4.5 receiver was fast. Then 4.4 was unbelievably speedy. Then we started to see some 4.3 receivers, which is just incredible. Now we have a guy running a sub 4.2 40.

I would bet that we see a guy run a 3.95 40 by 2020 or so.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
And will have healing power & the ability to control magnetism.

Legend
Legend
I'm serious. What is the upper limit of human performance?

It seems like every year there is a guy who is just a bit faster than anyone else has ever been. 10 years ago a 4.2 flat would have been almost unheard of. I recently read an article that sais that the fastest time at the 2003 combine was a 4.38 40.

C
Legend
Legend
C
There are already plenty of people that can run the forty in less than four seconds, they just don't play football.

cfrs15 #755336 03/05/13 05:38 PM
Legend
Legend
What is Bolt's 40 time?

I know he ran the 100 meter in less than 10 seconds ..... but I don't know about his 40 time.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think it was calculated off his WR record 100M performance at 3.97

Add in that he gets to use the starting block though and you'd probably see his time in the 4.1 - 4.2 range.

[Linked Image]
cfrs15 #755338 03/05/13 06:17 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
NO he doesnt

Paco #755339 03/05/13 06:18 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Bo Knows had the fastest 40 time ... 4.12

Paco #755340 03/05/13 06:31 PM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Yeah I was going to mention.

These new guys aren't really any faster than Bo Jackson (4.12) or Darrell Green (4.09-4.15). Deion Sanders ran a 4.21 - 4.27.

But there may be more of them springing up

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...reg-cosell-says

Matt Barkley is a fourth-round talent, Greg Cosell says

It's widely believed that USC's Matt Barkley is the best quarterback in this draft class not named Geno Smith.

Greg Cosell, senior producer at NFL Films, has a less optimistic take on Barkley's ceiling as a pro signal-caller.

During an appearance on NFL Network's "Path To The Draft," Cosell told NFL Network's Paul Burmeister that Barkley is a fourth-round talent masquerading as a first- or second-round pick on draft boards.

"When I look at Matt Barkley, here's a couple of things I immediately see," Cosell said. "Number one, he has average arm strength by NFL standards. Number two, his feet are not particularly quick, he has slower feet. And three, he's a little shorter.

"So then I go beyond that and think, 'OK, how can he be successful in the NFL when you got certain limitations?' And I think those limitations are the things I notice immediately and it's very difficult for me to look at him as a first- or second-round pick given those limitations and given what I know works effectively in the NFL."

Cosell added that Barkley only has shown flashes of pro-level ability when it comes to reading progressions, mobility in the pocket, and being consistent in his ball location.

Long story short, Cosell seems to believe Barkley is a bust in waiting. Makes you wonder how many other teams feel the same way behind closed doors.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...reg-cosell-says

Matt Barkley is a fourth-round talent, Greg Cosell says

It's widely believed that USC's Matt Barkley is the best quarterback in this draft class not named Geno Smith.

Greg Cosell, senior producer at NFL Films, has a less optimistic take on Barkley's ceiling as a pro signal-caller.

During an appearance on NFL Network's "Path To The Draft," Cosell told NFL Network's Paul Burmeister that Barkley is a fourth-round talent masquerading as a first- or second-round pick on draft boards.

"When I look at Matt Barkley, here's a couple of things I immediately see," Cosell said. "Number one, he has average arm strength by NFL standards. Number two, his feet are not particularly quick, he has slower feet. And three, he's a little shorter.

"So then I go beyond that and think, 'OK, how can he be successful in the NFL when you got certain limitations?' And I think those limitations are the things I notice immediately and it's very difficult for me to look at him as a first- or second-round pick given those limitations and given what I know works effectively in the NFL."

Cosell added that Barkley only has shown flashes of pro-level ability when it comes to reading progressions, mobility in the pocket, and being consistent in his ball location.

Long story short, Cosell seems to believe Barkley is a bust in waiting. Makes you wonder how many other teams feel the same way behind closed doors.

I couldn't agree more.

I disliked Barkley's potential last year, and I disliked it even more this past year. He was surrounded by really great talent ..... yet was exceedingly average in almost everything he did. He really has no special talent that sets him apart from the average college QB. He beat up some really bad teams ...teams that his teammates completely outclassed ....

He stunk against Stanford. He was average against Washington. He was nothing special against UCLA. he really wasn't even anything special against Arizona and Arizona State ..... throwing a lot of INT in those games as well.

He did beat up Syracuse and Colorado ..... throwing 12 TD and only 1 INT against those 2 teams. That was 1/3 of his total TD passes on the year. ...

Bleh

I want no part of him. I called him "Barely" last year and had some posters complaining ..... but he will barely be a backup IMHO.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I called him "Barely" last year and had some posters complaining

People were "complaining" because it was childish, not because it wasn't accurate.

cfrs15 #755344 03/06/13 02:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I called him "Barely" last year and had some posters complaining

People were "complaining" because it was childish, not because it wasn't accurate.

How can it be accurate, yet childish?

It was accurate, period. People on the boards often use suck nicknames, even disparaging ones, for players ... even those on our own team. I don't do that. I may say that I do not feel that certain players on our team are not very good, but I don't call them names. For example, I never called Colt anything like "Dolt" ...... even though I felt that he had major shortcomings. I have always called him either "Colt", or more often, "McCoy". Same thing with Quinn and Frye when they were here. I loathed the horrible way they played for us .... but I never called them anything but by name.

I feel no such loyalty for a player who is not on our team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Inside the Browns' War Room- NFL Network

Thought to share this. Nothing earth shattering here but I enjoyed the format.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C

Someone mentioned QB Pete Lalich as a possible Browns later round pick. I never heard of him so searched and found this story. Very interesting tale and very, very interesting player...

NFL Draft 2013 — Peter Lalich: The Forgotten One

BY J.P. SCOTT ON FEBRUARY 26, 2013

"A source close to and with experience coaching Lalich described the signal caller as a “football savant”, going on to call him a “real life Will Hunting” when it came to football.

Peter Lalich is the best passer in college football. No one throws a prettier, more accurate ball with more zip. No One.

Don’t bother scrolling through the names of the quarterbacks who participated in this year’s NFL Combine. The 6’6, 245 pound senior is not on it. He wasn’t invited.

Lalich was one of the most heavily recruited quarterbacks in the nation coming out of West Springfield High School in Springfield, Virginia in 2007. He chose to stay in-state and attend the University of Virginia after turning down offers from Miami (FL), Michigan, N.C. State and UCLA.

During the summer before his sophomore season at Virginia, Lalich was arrested for underage drinking and placed on probation. He ended up starting the first two games for the Cavaliers before his court appearance where he admitted to violating his probation by consuming alcohol. He was dismissed from the UVA Football team the same day.

Two years later, after transferring to Oregon State, he was dismissed from that program as well. This time he was caught operating a boat under the influence of alcohol.

What looked to be another tragic ending to another talented athlete’s story took a turn for the better when Lalich found a place at the University of California (PA), a Division II school. He had a quiet yet solid 2012 season, highlighted by his 334.7 passing yards per game average.

In an interview for NFL Draft Zone (the interview is following after this article), Lalich talked about how his past mistakes made him a better person and helped him grow. In the same interview, he talks about passing his time by playing blues guitar, practicing yoga and modeling his game after that of Tom Brady. If you are trying to model yourself after another in your profession, I’d say it would be tough to make a better choice than that.

From what I can tell, outside of two unfortunate incidents with alcohol and some self admitted marijuana usage in the past, he seems like your average college kid — only this kid has an NFL arm and high-speed computer processor for a mind when it comes to making decisions from the pocket.

A source close to and with experience coaching Lalich described the signal caller as a “football savant”, going on to call him a “real life Will Hunting” when it came to football.

The same source cited how the fact that Ryan Nassib, the current quarterback prospect from Syracuse, is being considered by many as potential 2nd or 3rd round pick is laughable when you compare his skill-set to that of Lalich. He went on to speculate that Lalich will be one of the most sought after undrafted free agents should he get passed over for seven rounds.

It is also important to point out that Dallas Cowboy Head Coach Jason Garrett’s brother John was one of the primary recruiters of Lalich to Virginia. This tells me that Peter Lilich will be very much on the radar of both the Dallas Cowboys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where John Garrett is now on Greg Schiano’s staff.

As I said before, after watching literally hours of NFL prospects throw the ball, not one of them is a better pure passer and for that matter, decision maker than Peter Lalich. Let’s just hope the foolish decisions of a 20 year old kid don’t end up being what derails what could very well be a terrific NFL career.

KnowItAllFootball.com

#gmstrong
ddubia #755347 03/07/13 01:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No way we'd be interested. No way. He's potentially too good and hand wringers would whine him out of contention.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
ddubia #755348 03/07/13 02:14 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

outside of two unfortunate incidents with alcohol and some self admitted marijuana usage in the past, he seems like your average college kid —

Actually a couple incidences involving alcohol and smoking a little weed is exactly what MAKES him your average college kid.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
A Drunk QB would never work.

I talk back and forth with Shaun, one of the guys who does NFL Draft Zone (referenced in the article.) That guy is constantly busting his butt with small-school prospects. At the very least, he's a valuable reference for players that are overlooked in the media. To me, he's interviewing a lot more guys than have a shot, but still it's very interesting to check out and he does have some good ones.

ddubia #755350 03/07/13 04:39 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
here's what I got out of the article:

Lalich is pronounced Laloosh

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

This shows we aren't in as dire of straits like in years past ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

This shows we aren't in as dire of straits like in years past ... JMHO

I agree. There were some things I wonder about. They listed Taylor at DE even thought an article quoting a Browns' source or coach (I forget which) had him at NT. They listed Gocong at ILB. Could be true. Sheard as the WOLB. Time will tell.

But to your point, they commented on the fact that there was talent despite the defensive scheme switch. I personally don't think it will be as smooth as some fans and analysts are saying, but it should be smoother than the last few times we did this.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard