Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ThatGuy #756837 03/04/13 03:54 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

As long as he and Haden are prohibited from going to Vegas together...

He and Josh Gordon can hit up Taco Bell.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If we want to win, we need talent, and this kid has it ... PERIOD!!! JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Paco #756839 03/04/13 05:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Minnifield had a 42" vertical

Not to mention some of the best wide receivers when Minnifield was in his prime were Mark Duper at 5'9", Gary Clark at 5'9", Art Monk at 6'2", Jerry Rice at 6'2", Steve Largent at 5'11"... Not a lot of WRs over 6'3"... now it's uncommon for most teams to not have 2 WRs OVER 6'3"...

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
1. 5'9" no 2012 season n Drug history will have him drop. Where is the question I guess.

2. Kid can play n theoretically would be a great tandem w/Haden on the opposite side.

3. Saw his interview on NFL Network...they all started giggling after the interview n rolled their eyes. Cause he pretty much all but stated When he has all this money he is going to fall right back into PARTYING!

4. Tough call - we got a good group of young kids...Haden did something stupid in Las Vegas but for the most part we are pretty squeaky clean n got good young leadership.
But the kid will be like riding a roller coaster with a bottle of NITRO.

6th 7th round...I guess take the chance. But he'll probably go Bengals in the 2nd
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #756841 03/04/13 07:59 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

4. Tough call - we got a good group of young kids...Haden did something stupid in Las Vegas but for the most part we are pretty squeaky clean n got good young leadership.

Gordon got bounced from 2 schools for failing three drug tests.

Taylor got bounced from Penn State for assault.

Little got suspended from UNC for taking cash.

Sheard got suspended at Pitt after an assault arrest.

I couldn't really care less what a guy does so long as he produces and stays on the field ... but I don't know that I'd totally agree with that assessment.

PDR #756842 03/05/13 04:11 PM
Legend
Legend
Squeaky clean is a relative term.

yebat' Putin
Penny #756843 03/17/13 03:26 PM
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
JMHO! This kid has 1st round talent! I think teams are being quiet about him cause they know he will be an absolute steal in the 3rd round. I would love to see him in an orange helmet. Great ball skills, cover guy, and special teams guy. Kid has a real nose for the ball.

Dare I say if the Browns can somehow get a 2nd round pick they should use it on him. Personally, as far as Matheiu goes... I think he's every bit as talented, if not better than the CB from Alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4pin-BKhjwA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1st- Jones
2nd/3rd Matheiu

This D will be a REAL DOG!!! WOOF WOOF!!!

Legend
Legend
I heard Bret Mussberger say "honey badger" one too many times to even give this kid a look.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #756845 03/17/13 03:46 PM
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

I heard Bret Mussberger say "honey badger" one too many times to even give this kid a look.

Why do you think that is? HMMM? Cause he a game changer?

Legend
Legend
I think it's more that Muss is a total jock sniffer that likes to sensationalize nicknames.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #756847 03/17/13 04:04 PM
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
That may be... But it's because Matheiu was an outstanding player for the Tigers.

Legend
Legend
No doubt, but my gut feeling is that his upside is Buster Skrine with baggage.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #756849 03/17/13 04:36 PM
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Wow! Comparing Buster to the Honey Badger? Lol! This Sunday's Far Side! They are not even in same realm.

Legend
Legend
He's one toke over the line and an inch shorter than Travis Benjamin. We need to to take a pass on this one.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #756851 03/17/13 04:49 PM
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Just not seeing it my man. But to each his own. This team can not settle for mediocrity. Players like Matheiu don't come along often. Especially on the cheap! JMHO

jfanent #756852 03/17/13 06:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's one toke over the line and an inch shorter than Travis Benjamin. We need to to take a pass on this one.

I might take a chance in the 7th ...... but other than that, I pass.

I see some saying that we should take him in the 3rd .... and that's just ridiculous to me. He's a risk in so many ways that it makes no sense to take him that early. He has talent, but he also has massive risk ..... so the 7th is about right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
A 7th?! That is just laughable to me. No way that will happen. If he has his act together he will be a top CB in the league. JMHO! I've watched a lot of his tape and I find it hard to believe he'll disappoint. Going to be a steal.

Legend
Legend
He's a huge question mark because of his past behavior.

I look at a guy like Burfict, who has solid physical ability in college ..... but who went undrafted because of off the field concerns.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I totally agree. It's just his upside could be the answer the secondary needs for years to come. Do you think his skills match that of Millners? Cause I believe they do. If not better. Call me crazy!

Legend
Legend
He is a player with some talent, but to pretend that he doesn't have issues is unacceptable.

As far as comparing Milliner and Mathieu, I think that Milliner's combination of size, speed, and talent is superior. Even without off the field issues, mathieu would be rated well behind Milliner.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Not pretnding matheiu hasn't had issues. Milliner looks more like a FS. When watching his tape he looks to have trouble moving his hips. And that's because of his size. His straight away speed is tops. But I have major concerns about his agility overall. IMO!

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Some talent?? He was a freakin Hiesman candidate! A CB Hiesman candidate doesn't just have some talent!

Legend
Legend
I haven't seen issues with his hips. In fact, he seems to flip his hips over well from what I have seen.

This is a DB who played extremely well last year. Stat-wise, 54 tackles, 4 for loss, and 22 passes broken up last year. That's just amazing. He's also a "little guy who will hit". Further, he is very young at the position. He should improve as he learns the position better.

I do like the potential Mathieu has ... if he stays away from the drugs. It does worry me when a kid burns his team, and throws away his college football career, because he repeatedly fails drug tests.

I might take a chance on his talent later in the draft, but I would never take him with a high draft pick.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Just want to see the Browns win is all. I have no hidden reasons to like Matheiu, just think he's got the skills is all. I'm Buckeye all the way! Would love to get Jones with the 6th and Matheiu later.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My take on Mathieu - FWIW. Football wise, not counting his off field issues.

Dynamic kick and punt returner. Might be worth a 3rd round pick for this aspect of his game alone. Though we do have Benjamin who is pretty dynamic himself. Not quite Mathieu but not too far off.

Defensively he makes big plays but at the price of fundamentals. He is a poor tackler. He will make a lot of big plays by going in to strip the ball while his teammates have the ballcarrier held up. He did a great job of this in college. I do not think that he will be as successful with that in the NFL. And unless he is on a team that has dominant defenders like he did at LSU I think his go for the big play strip will result in about an even number of big plays against his team as it will for it. If you thought Sheldon Brown was a poor tackler ...

He is small and the games I saw he struggled against the bigger receivers. I see him being a slot corner. Put him on the outside and I think that he will get abused by NFL Qb's and Wr's.

Overall I am less than enamored with him as a player. We clearly disagree on him and time will tell which of us is right. If the Browns draft him I hope you are right. If any other teams drafts him I hope I am right

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
jfanent #756862 03/18/13 06:43 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No doubt, but my gut feeling is that his upside is Buster Skrine with baggage.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
PDR #756863 03/18/13 09:29 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
My reference was on these young players in our Locker Room. Outside of Haden's mistake they have all shown that they have matured n are squeaky clean as a whole.

My worry is I am not so sure he has matured n learned his lesson. I would hate to see him drag a Gordon down with him. Listen to his interview...lots of red Flags.

Did 4 reps cause he didn't feel that was important for a CB. FLAG! Not about What HE FEELS!

Then he talked about how he has been Clean since his suspension n it was not hard to do cause he didn't have the MONEY TO PARTY. Then he went on immediately to say that he will get a lot of MONEY but he will handle it...lol That is when the entire NFL Network guys started giggling n rolling their eyes as in this guy basically just stated he can't wait to get the $$$ n party

Yes I think our current locker room have guys with some mistakes...outside of Gordon nothing repetitive but I have always been under the impression these kids make mistakes as TEENAGERS n will mature. Ours have been squeaky clean except for Hadens snafu. I don't see this kid maturing.

But as I stated jokingly Bengals in the 2nd...I'm sure a team might breakdown n take the chance mid-2nd to 3rd round. You never know. It could be later?

But I'm glad we aren't seeking only Boy Scouts n taking some talent that did have some immaturity as teenagers. Gosh Knows I never did anything wrong

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #756864 03/18/13 09:33 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
i love this kid's play.

on his off-field stuff, I believe we still have the same scouts/investigators from Heckert. that staff was amazing at finding if guys did learn from their mistakes (as noted with Taylor, Sheard, Gordon, etc. being clean in the NFL). I'm sure we'll be looking into Mathieu.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Baggage aside I wouldn't take the dude before the 5th rnd. He's to short and weak to be anything more then a slot corner or nickle back (measured in at 5' 8 3/4" at the combine).

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #756866 03/18/13 11:26 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
I think he'd make a great nickel. I wouldn't feel confident slotting him as a CB against top tier WR's, but if you free him up a little and let him play center field, he can make plays.

Would be a good option for punt returns. I like the idea of Benjamin on kickoffs and Mathieu on PR.

As a late pick I'd be thrilled. I think the juice is worth the squeeze past the middle rounds.

dawg66 #756867 03/18/13 11:29 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

j/c

Baggage aside I wouldn't take the dude before the 5th rnd. He's to short and weak to be anything more then a slot corner or nickle back (measured in at 5' 8 3/4" at the combine).

watch.enjoy.change-your-mind

https://www.youtube.com/v/8KBPaoS6odk

#gmstrong
eotab #756868 03/18/13 11:51 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Then he talked about how he has been Clean since his suspension n it was not hard to do cause he didn't have the MONEY TO PARTY. Then he went on immediately to say that he will get a lot of MONEY but he will handle it...lol That is when the entire NFL Network guys started giggling n rolling their eyes as in this guy basically just stated he can't wait to get the $$$ n party

Thanks EO. I like the guys playing, but know many guys with the same attitude he has about the "party". I was all for this guy until I saw that interview. He clearly has a messed up set of priorities. I don't think he makes it thru camp without faltering.

Late rounds or as an UDFA, I might consider him.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't change my mind. All i saw was a bunch of punt returns and him stripping the ball from receivers that his teammates held up. I only saw 2 plays where he actually was covering the receiver by running with them one was 5' 9" the other 5' 11".

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #756870 03/18/13 12:54 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
This kid is definitely a risk.
He's undersized and tackles poorly but does come up with great plays and is onehelluva football player ... but can that equate to the NFL??? I see Maurice Clarrett syndrome in him, Outstanding football player but lacks discipline to make it big in the NFL. I just think that Matthieu is too small for what we are looking for in a CB. Milliner has better size and supports the run tons better without the tackling issues. And for whoever said it... Milliner has great hips for his size.
I would take Matthieu in the 4th or 5th if we have already addressed the CB position. I would not draft him and rely on him to be the starter. He's been away from football and is still young. If u nurture him and put him in right situation sky's the limit.

Paco #756871 03/18/13 12:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

This kid is definitely a risk.
He's undersized and tackles poorly but does come up with great plays and is onehelluva football player ... but can that equate to the NFL??? I see Maurice Clarrett syndrome in him, Outstanding football player but lacks discipline to make it big in the NFL. I just think that Matthieu is too small for what we are looking for in a CB. Milliner has better size and supports the run tons better without the tackling issues. And for whoever said it... Milliner has great hips for his size.
I would take Matthieu in the 4th or 5th if we have already addressed the CB position. I would not draft him and rely on him to be the starter. He's been away from football and is still young. If u nurture him and put him in right situation sky's the limit.

+1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
dawg66 #756872 03/18/13 01:39 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Didn't change my mind. All i saw was a bunch of punt returns and him stripping the ball from receivers that his teammates held up. I only saw 2 plays where he actually was covering the receiver by running with them one was 5' 9" the other 5' 11".

considering I would draft him to be a FS, I see no problem with that at all.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

And how is gonna fill the hole and tackle a 220lbs plus RB or breakup a pass on a 6' 2" WR or a 6' 5" TE?

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #756874 03/18/13 01:53 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And how is gonna fill the hole and tackle a 220lbs plus RB or breakup a pass on a 6' 2" WR or a 6' 5" TE?

Ward fills the hole on most running plays as that is primarily the SS's job. Mathieu can make tackles in the open field on the RB (he's not going to have to take on the blockers, which is what "filling the hole" suggests to me).

Breaking up a pass on a deep pass, no matter the height, matters much, much more on instinct and angles than it does on his height. I'm not asking him to cover Boldin across the middle (like Patterson or Skrine last year). He can go and get that football on deep routes though, which is fantastic and something we haven't had since the return.

Jim Leonhard is a whole 5'8" and he's played just fine in the NFL.
Bob Sanders, 5'8"

And, I'm not suggesting drafting him #6 either. But, if he's there in the 3rd round, I'm stumbling over myself to turn the card in (if the background check on all his off-the-field behavior is clear).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Bob Sanders might not be the best example to use.

He has never played a 16 game season, and has played a combined 11 games in his last 4 years. Overall he has only played 50 games in 8 professional seasons.

He's had 2 really good seasons, and a bunch of injury plagued years.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd love to have this guy. He's a freelancer and a turnover machine.

Now I think he'd have to be used correctly. But the kid can ball no doubt.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tyrann Mathieu

Link Copied to Clipboard