P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Vers, seriously?

You ripped Holmgren and Shurmur THE MINUTE they were hired because you were upset Mangini was fired as you thought he was moving things in the right direction.

Yes, seriously.

And you are telling a lie. I didn't rip The Big Show before his first FA period. I didn't rip him before his first draft. I didn't even rip him during the first season until I saw what he was up to. You know, when he came out and said "I didn't think I was going to fire Eric until I woke up this morning..." Then, I ripped him.

Don't make crap up, Memphis!

You guys seem to have the need to make everyone despise the FO because you do. You did it on the other board and you both come over here and start the same stuff. How about you give them at least one stinking year before the all-out attacks?

Vers, with all due respect, I am not making anything up. In fact, believe it or not, your comments after the Mangini firing and subsequent Holmgren hiring were the very reason I posted regularly on the Browns chat board. You were my instant conflict. You created the Memphis Frankenstein....what were you thinking!

Sorry, but you bashed everything. You and Upbeat. From the very moment Holmgren was hired. His past in Seattle as an executive and all that. Shurmur and his few years as an OC. Sorry, but you did. Now whether that was more because Mangini was gone, I don't know. But either way, it happened or I wouldn't be a regular poster.

But I don't have a problem with it, frankly. Although I disagreed with it at the time, I don't think we need to see a draft class or a game played for anyone. For both regimes (past and current) there is/was a sample size of performance already available. The question this time around is whether or not their skills have improved over time (in Lombardi's case), or because prior work situations changed perspective (in Banner's case) or because someone is poised to take the next leap (in Chud's case).

Just a reminder to you as I know we've gotten into in a bit in the past on a prior board. I'm not the biggest Holmgren and Shurmur fan in the world. In fact, their departure is fine by me. People can be skeptical because of previous results. Like many have been in the past.

well the way i remember it he didnt like the holgrem hire. didnt realy say much but wait and see. saw heckert bringing in all the 4/3 players for the 3/4 defence we were in and said it was a joke of throwing a year away.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
What did we expect, I hope they do what is needed to bring a winner back to Cleveland ... GO BROWNS

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Vers, seriously?

You ripped Holmgren and Shurmur THE MINUTE they were hired because you were upset Mangini was fired as you thought he was moving things in the right direction.

Yes, seriously.

And you are telling a lie. I didn't rip The Big Show before his first FA period. I didn't rip him before his first draft. I didn't even rip him during the first season until I saw what he was up to. You know, when he came out and said "I didn't think I was going to fire Eric until I woke up this morning..." Then, I ripped him.

You guys seem to have the need to make everyone despise the FO because you do. You did it on the other board and you both come over here and start the same stuff. How about you give them at least one stinking year before the all-out attacks?

Vers, with all due respect, I am not making anything up. In fact, believe it or not, your comments after the Mangini firing and subsequent Holmgren hiring were the very reason I posted regularly on the Browns chat board. You were my instant conflict. You created the Memphis Frankenstein....what were you thinking!

Sorry, but you bashed everything. You and Upbeat. From the very moment Holmgren was hired. His past in Seattle as an executive and all that. Shurmur and his few years as an OC. Sorry, but you did. Now whether that was more because Mangini was gone, I don't know. But either way, it happened or I wouldn't be a regular poster.

But I don't have a problem with it, frankly. Although I disagreed with it at the time, I don't think we need to see a draft class or a game played for anyone. For both regimes (past and current) there is/was a sample size of performance already available. The question this time around is whether or not their skills have improved over time (in Lombardi's case), or because prior work situations changed perspective (in Banner's case) or because someone is poised to take the next leap (in Chud's case).

Just a reminder to you as I know we've gotten into in a bit in the past on a prior board. I'm not the biggest Holmgren and Shurmur fan in the world. In fact, their departure is fine by me. People can be skeptical because of previous results. Like many have been in the past.

well the way i remember it he didnt like the holgrem hire. didnt realy say much but wait and see. saw heckert bringing in all the 4/3 players for the 3/4 defence we were in and said it was a joke of throwing a year away.

saw heckert bringing in all the 4/3 players for the 3/4 defence ?

Like who?

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Vers, with all due respect, I am not making anything up. In fact, believe it or not, your comments after the Mangini firing and subsequent Holmgren hiring were the very reason I posted regularly on the Browns chat board. You were my instant conflict.

With all due respect, The Big Show was hired at the end of the 2009 season and Mangini coached under The Big Show and Heckert in 2010.

And I am going to say this once again. I did not bash Holmgren until AFTER his first season in Cleveland. I certainly didn't bash him before he even went through FA or the draft.

One more time in case I wasn't clear. The Big Show was hired a full year BEFORE Mangini was fired.

Let's not start the junk again. Okay?

Just give the new FO a little time. Just a little before you and 32 act like the world is ending. Again, they won 5, 4, and 5 games in three years. Oh my, the sky is falling!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Vers, seriously?

Yes, seriously.

saw heckert bringing in all the 4/3 players for the 3/4 defence ?

Like who?

be better if you post who he didnt. save some time

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Vers, with all due respect, I am not making anything up. In fact, believe it or not, your comments after the Mangini firing and subsequent Holmgren hiring were the very reason I posted regularly on the Browns chat board. You were my instant conflict.

With all due respect, The Big Show was hired at the end of the 2009 season and Mangini coached under The Big Show and Heckert in 2010.

And I am going to say this once again. I did not bash Holmgren until AFTER his first season in Cleveland. I certainly didn't bash him before he even went through FA or the draft.

One more time in case I wasn't clear. The Big Show was hired a full year BEFORE Mangini was fired.

Just give the new FO a little time. Just a little before you and 32 act like the world is ending. Again, they won 5, 4, and 5 games in three years. Oh my, the sky is falling!

Sorry for my brain fart on the timeline, but the comments still remain. Concerns begun at the hiring of Holmgren and firing of Mangini. I didn't begin commenting until the Mangini firing, for the record. But the comments of both you and Upbeat remain. I will not concede it didn't. If you disagree, fine. I guess it's a moot point now.

I'm fine with giving the regime time. In fact, like I said with the hiring of Banner, if he didn't like who was already here (no matter who I wanted to remain), he needed to boot them and find people who were on the same page.

Same mindset in the past will happen with whomever they draft. Wait at least 2-3 years draft picks unlike some posters that want to make their decision after one year of what they see. Believe it or not, but I inherently root for the players we draft hoping they all come to fruition. It will be no different this year.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
... aaaand we're off! Welcome back indeed!

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

With the hiring of Farmer as Assistant GM, does anyone have the feeling that the organization is getting top-heavy? This FO is worrisome to me; I had more faith in Holmgren & Co. (I'm likely going to get ripped for that, but it's the way I feel).

I won't rip you...I don't even know you.

What I will say is that I wouldn't at all characterize the organization as "top-heavy." In fact, upon reading of the hiring, I'm actually happy for it on several fronts.

The first is that the Holmgren regime was really a damned dictatorship. Heckert had some power, but at the first moment of panic from Holmgren, he'd jump out of his easy-chair and tell Heckert what to do. Everyone had their job to do and the independence to do it...right up until Holmgren decided to throw his weight around and tell them what to do.

With this regime, while people may not like the names, it appears to me to be more of a round-table forum with one guy having ultimate veto power, and I like that far more than what Holmgren kept pulling around here.

The other big aspect of this which I like is that, for good or ill, every single executive and shot-caller here are on the same page. When Mangini was here, he and Kokinis were butting heads, as was Opie and Collins. Whether or not Banner and his Band of Merry Men are going to be good remains to be seen, but the one thing that gives them the greatest collective chance of success is that they come from the same camp, share same histories, and sharing the same philosophies. They may ultimately prove to not have it, but at least all the legs of this millipede are moving in the same direction. That's exactly the way it should be. The owner is on the same page with the President, who is on the same page with the GM, who is on the same page with the AGM, who is on the same page as the scouting department, coaches, etc etc.

I view these moves in a positive conceptual way similar to when Lerner gave Butch total power: They get everything they want so that if they succeed or fail it'll be all on them. There won't be any excuses.

As for Pioli and Cassel, that was ALL Pioli. He took the Bill Bellyache model and applied to to KC, where he failed...miserably...time-and-time again. Granted, losing out on him didn't equate to us winning, but I'm glad he turned us down.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

With the hiring of Farmer as Assistant GM, does anyone have the feeling that the organization is getting top-heavy? This FO is worrisome to me; I had more faith in Holmgren & Co. (I'm likely going to get ripped for that, but it's the way I feel).

Top heavy? Why? Do you have something against this organization trying to put qualified people in place?

We know you had more faith in The Big Show and his band of losers. Let me try and figure out why:

--Is it because The Big Show and his Merry Men were 14 and 34?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't won or lost a game yet?

--Is it because of the great drafting we had, you know, two QBs and two RBs drafted high w/in a couple of years? Drafting a stiff like Weeden in the first round? Trading up and giving away picks for a guy Minni was not going to take? Handing players jobs before they even practiced once?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't even had one FA period or draft to mess up or make good on?

--Is it because The Big Show took vacations to Arizona during the freaking season? The owner had to do interviews via email?

You, Pit, and others have a bad feeling! LMAO.....Please! Worse than 14 and 34? Here is what I think. You guys have a built-in bias against the new regime because you supported the previous regime so vigilantly and you don't dare admit you might have been wrong. God forbid!

Me? I am not sold on the new guys, but they haven't even had a draft or even went through FA yet, nevermind played a game or a season. I think I will give them a little time before I start ripping them like you and cronies do!

I'll admit....that doesn't sound like the Vers I know, as I used to read better stuff. Going solely by the record to judge? Really?

Whatever record we put up this season, is 80% on H&H, especially if Weeden remains starter....rooks don't make much of an impact, especially since we only have 1 impact pick and any FA we bring in is thanks to the best cap situation in the league....that didn't fall from the sky, that was excellent sacrifice work done by H&H to restructure the roster from very old to very young. I actually think it's impressive that we still won as much games as the seasons before and clearly improving in competitveness....all that while spending much less, which in turn means the draft picks have been good most of the time. It's a common logic brainfart around here that people bash H&H and in turn praise the foundation of this roster...not saying you do that, but it resurfaces regularly on here.

Heckert hasn't drafted a bust yet in the top 50, TRich and Weeden are incomplete, but even if one of them busts, his top 50 picks are Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard, TRich, Weeden, Gordon and Schwartz...7of 8 in the top 50 is as good as it gets for ANY GM and his drafts have already produced more building blocks than the 10 drafts before him. The DL depth he's built...there are GMs out there that try for a decade to get anything close to that. We had one of the youngest DL and still were at least AVG with major upside as these guys still have to hit their prime years

I really hate it how soon people forget that last year was the 1st season where we were in pretty much ANY game, often losing by that lack of experience/smarts that'll come with time. That to me was also a product of a clubhouse philosophy to reward own players with good contracts...there was a good structure in place and respected vets like Thomas, DQwell and Dawson all praised this well beyond PR-talk.

In many ways Haslam, Banner and Lombardi will reap what H&H have sawn. I for one won't just stupidly attach records to regime, I'll watch which players will produce that record...and if those players were brought in by H&H, they deserve credit too. I didn't care much for Shurmur, so maybe better coaching does the trick, but to trash Heckert's drafting, which has been by far the best we've seen in a while, is short sighted at best imho.

This roster can easily win 8 games, it should have last season vs a strong schedule...in fact, with more experience and expected growth and 1-3 starters out of FA that's what I (and most on here) expect for 2013. Banner and Lombardi pretty much only can mess it up, they've inherited a golden situation with many young building blocks and tons of cap space both short and long term.

I agree with you that they haven't done much yet and I've said all along I'll wait for this FA and draft to assess them and my opinions on pretty much all prospects is out there, so I won't hindsight bash anyone.I'll quickly know for myself if they're anywhere close to Mangini or Heckert and those 2 quickly had my mistrust/trust after their 1st offseason. My guess is they're closer to Mangini (though not nearly as bad) as they've shown time and again that they have no clue how to evaluate players and prospects. Heckert has a good rep and track record around the league, Lombardi doesn't...that's fact and that's probably why some posters don't have the faith that this somehow magically changed over night...count me as one of those skeptics

So now Lombardi is officially GM...nice PR and snake job by Banner, who sneaked him in with the euphoria the day they hired Horton and now moved him to the position every Brownsfan was horrified with just 2 months ago...how quickly people forget

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

[

'Twas not my intention to bring the "junk" to this board. The question was about the FO becoming top-heavy. My comment about Holmgren was generic; you will note that I made no specific references. Seems as though I have inadvertently stirred up a hornet's nest.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Top heavy? Why? Do you have something against this organization trying to put qualified people in place?

We know you had more faith in The Big Show and his band of losers. Let me try and figure out why:

--Is it because the current regime hasn't won or lost a game yet?

--Is it because of the great drafting we had, you know, two QBs and two RBs drafted high w/in a couple of years? Drafting a stiff like Weeden in the first round? Trading up and giving away picks for a guy Minni was not going to take? Handing players jobs before they even practiced once?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't even had one FA period or draft to mess up or make good on?

--Is it because The Big Show took vacations to Arizona during the freaking season? The owner had to do interviews via email?

You, Pit, and others have a bad feeling! LMAO.....Please! Worse than 14 and 34? Here is what I think. You guys have a built-in bias against the new regime because you supported the previous regime so vigilantly and you don't dare admit you might have been wrong. God forbid!

Me? I am not sold on the new guys, but they haven't even had a draft or even went through FA yet, nevermind played a game or a season. I think I will give them a little time before I start ripping them like you and cronies do!

I'll admit....that doesn't sound like the Vers I know, as I used to read better stuff. Going solely by the record to judge? Really?

Whatever record we put up this season, is 80% on H&H, especially if Weeden remains starter....rooks don't make much of an impact, especially since we only have 1 impact pick and any FA we bring in is thanks to the best cap situation in the league....that didn't fall from the sky, that was excellent sacrifice work done by H&H to restructure the roster from very old to very young. I actually think it's impressive that we still won as much games as the seasons before and clearly improving in competitveness....all that while spending much less, which in turn means the draft picks have been good most of the time. It's a common logic brainfart around here that people bash H&H and in turn praise the foundation of this roster...not saying you do that, but it resurfaces regularly on here.

Heckert hasn't drafted a bust yet in the top 50, TRich and Weeden are incomplete, but even if one of them busts, his top 50 picks are Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard, TRich, Weeden, Gordon and Schwartz...7of 8 in the top 50 is as good as it gets for ANY GM and his drafts have already produced more building blocks than the 10 drafts before him. The DL depth he's built...there are GMs out there that try for a decade to get anything close to that. We had one of the youngest DL and still were at least AVG with major upside as these guys still have to hit their prime years

I really hate it how soon people forget that last year was the 1st season where we were in pretty much ANY game, often losing by that lack of experience/smarts that'll come with time. That to me was also a product of a clubhouse philosophy to reward own players with good contracts...there was a good structure in place and respected vets like Thomas, DQwell and Dawson all praised this well beyond PR-talk.

In many ways Haslam, Banner and Lombardi will reap what H&H have sawn. I for one won't just stupidly attach records to regime, I'll watch which players will produce that record...and if those players were brought in by H&H, they deserve credit too. I didn't care much for Shurmur, so maybe better coaching does the trick, but to trash Heckert's drafting, which has been by far the best we've seen in a while, is short sighted at best imho.

This roster can easily win 8 games, it should have last season vs a strong schedule...in fact, with more experience and expected growth and 1-3 starters out of FA that's what I (and most on here) expect for 2013. Banner and Lombardi pretty much only can mess it up, they've inherited a golden situation with many young building blocks and tons of cap space both short and long term.

I agree with you that they haven't done much yet and I've said all along I'll wait for this FA and draft to assess them and my opinions on pretty much all prospects is out there, so I won't hindsight bash anyone.I'll quickly know for myself if they're anywhere close to Mangini or Heckert and those 2 quickly had my mistrust/trust after their 1st offseason. My guess is they're closer to Mangini (though not nearly as bad) as they've shown time and again that they have no clue how to evaluate players and prospects. Heckert has a good rep and track record around the league, Lombardi doesn't...that's fact and that's probably why some posters don't have the faith that this somehow magically changed over night...count me as one of those skeptics

So now Lombardi is officially GM...nice PR and snake job by Banner, who sneaked him in with the euphoria the day they hired Horton and now moved him to the position every Brownsfan was horrified
with just 2 months ago...how quickly people forget

I couldn't have said it better myself if I paid an intern to write this for me.

I agree 100% I was ok with letting the entire FO go minus Heckert and his draft people. Heckert is going to look like a genius in 2-3 years and we are going to be kicking ourselves.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, and that first five game season was under Mangini. When Holmgren fired Mangini you had a hissy fit. You thought he was the greatest coach ever. You gave Shurmur one game before calling for his head. September is going to be interesting. We are switching to a 3-4 defense because our new staff insists the players we have on the roster right now are BETTER suited to a 3-4. That means they believe we have more than enough 3-4 linebackers to run a top defense as is...... So come September I don't want to hear any excuses. Not one WORD about how we don't have the players to run our new system yet. If they don't then they shouldn't have switched...... they should have adjusted their scheme to suit our players.....

I am perfectly willing to be won over by our new staff. Come September I better see something.....

V
Legend
Legend
V
I guess some things never change. Whatever. You three can carry on w/your hate for the new regime over here. I really need to let it go. It's old.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One other little tidbit..the HC won't be reporting to Lombardi, but Banner, and I'd rather have it that way.
But you're right on some things..I didn't like the way MH thrusted himself in the draft but then other times decided to stay on the island away from everyone.
Learning who TH had rated and who we took at that spot just shows how he had no clue how to do his job.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Typical of some Browns fans, the only way they know how to judge a team's progress is via the teams record.

For some, the fact that the Browns were "rebuilding" their roster via the draft, means nothing to them... and last season being only year 3 of a 5 year plan established by Heckert and Holmgren, means nothing to them.

It is rare that NFL teams even attempt such a 5 year plan because fans and media do not have the patience or knowledge to endure or understand such a plan. For most, all they ever look at are the wins.

The last team that stuck to a 5 years rebuilding plan was the Pittsburgh Steelers, when Chuck Noll took over as HC in 1969.

What was Chuck Noll's W/L record after 3 yrs into his 5 yr rebuilding plan...12 wins and 30 losses after 3 years of rebuilding...and the draft was 17 rounds long at that time...not 7 like today's NFL draft.

Haslam and Banner bought a team that was 60% rebuilt...now lets see if they can finish out the last 2 years of the 5 year rebuilding plan that Heckert and Holmgren started in 2010. The heavy lifting and sacrifice has already been done.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

One other little tidbit..the HC won't be reporting to Lombardi, but Banner, and I'd rather have it that way.
But you're right on some things..I didn't like the way MH thrusted himself in the draft but then other times decided to stay on the island away from everyone.
Learning who TH had rated and who we took at that spot just shows how he had no clue how to do his job.

I like the way it's set up with Chud answering to Banner.

No doubt Homie got involved. After he blew the deal with RGIII, he panicked and started trading picks that didn't make sense and pulling the rug from under Heck by insisting on taking Weeden when we did rather than wait for our 2nd round pick.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
What the heck,,,,, maybe you and vers should go out back and duke it out

GMDawg will handle the concessions, I'll handle ticket sales and promotions.

We'll make a mint....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Now we get someone from the Chiefs whose entire FO and coaching staff were cleaned out due to poor performance.

Pit...I like the move. As for the Chiefs I think the key here is they had 6 Pro-Bowlers last year regardless of the Losses. I think the personnel acquired was not the failure there.

For me I really feared the unknown n with Banner/Lombardi heading the bill there was so much as unknown...nothing perfect but I love the Coaching Staff we got...The Systems we are choosing to start the Continuity with, n a lot of moves they are making have me more n more comfortable with them running the show. Will asses them more after FA/Draft. Farmer looks to be a first rate move that should help finish building the Team which has a decent young drafted foundation to build on!

JMHO

Last edited by eotab; 03/06/13 12:12 PM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I agree with you about the coaching staff. I love the pick at head coach, and I think that he has made professional and to quality picks for his coordinators and assistants. He doesn't "look" like a 1st time head coach, who might be intimidated by strong coaches, and strong personalities.

As far as Lombardi/Farmer ...... frankly all I can do is hope that they are wildly successful in their jobs. I want to win, so I am praying that they do great things for the Browns.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Now we get someone from the Chiefs whose entire FO and coaching staff were cleaned out due to poor performance.

Pit...I like the move. As for the Chiefs I think the key here is they had 6 Pro-Bowlers last year regardless of the Losses. I think the personnel acquired was not the failure there.

For me I really feared the unknown n with Banner/Lombardi heading the bill there was so much as unknown...nothing perfect but I love the Coaching Staff we got...The Systems we are choosing to start the Continuity with, n a lot of moves they are making have me more n more comfortable with them running the show. Will asses them more after FA/Draft. Farmer looks to be a first rate move that should help finish building the Team which has a decent young drafted foundation to build on!

JMHO

I absolutely think the talent acquired was the problem. But it's not Farmer fault necessarily. I put all blame on Pioli.

- Trading for Cassel and a washed up Vrabel for a second rounder?
- Top 50 draft picks of Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Dexter McCluster, John Baldwin, & Hudson? Umm, what?
- The jury is still out on Poe and Allen as they were drafted last year, but in no way am I impressed.
- Only Eric Berry, the no-brainer, to show for his early draft picks.

Man, and people wanted Pioli to come here after Heckert was let go?!? Yikes!

All those Pro Bowlers came from the drafts of Carl Peterson minus Berry. I guess we could look into players signed or re-signed to get a sense of Farmer's work perhaps. But in the end I don't weigh the Chiefs failures on Farmer. Just Pioli when it came to talent. He failed miserably.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/06/13 01:40 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
The more I think about this hire of Farmer, the more relieved I am starting to feel. I wasn't real thrilled with Banner and Lombardi standing alone regarding personnel. One was scorned by losing personnel power in Philly and has a axe to grind. The other hasn't been in the league in five years and has been part of horrible drafts.

My hope is that Farmer can add a legitimate voice regarding the draft and FA signings since he's been doing this as a job since he's stopped playing. I hope this guy is an up n comer. It seems like he's moved up the ranks rather quickly.

Good luck, Farmer. You may need it.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The more I think about this hire of Farmer, the more relieved I am starting to feel. I wasn't real thrilled with Banner and Lombardi standing alone regarding personnel. One was scorned by losing personnel power in Philly and has a axe to grind. The other hasn't been in the league in five years and has been part of horrible drafts.

My hope is that Farmer can add a legitimate voice regarding the draft and FA signings since he's been doing this as a job since he's stopped playing. I hope this guy is an up n comer. It seems like he's moved up the ranks rather quickly.

Good luck, Farmer. You may need it.

+1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I guess some things never change. Whatever. You three can carry on w/your hate for the new regime over here. I really need to let it go. It's old.

I agree to a moratorium on the subject of the old/new regimes...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Then what will happen to man's quest for knowledge?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are some things we should never know

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are some things we should never know

Yea : Like how women think !

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

No, it's because I don't feel 16-32 would really be any better to speak of.

Quote:

No, it's because Lombardi has a record of drafting while working for other teams that strongly indicate he will do no better if not even worse. Including while he was here previously.

Quote:

As was stated, our current GM (Lombardi has a track record we can look at). I guess we should all just ignore that though.

Quote:

You, Pit, and others have a bad feeling! LMAO.....Please!

Some of just seem to value a resume' more than you do it would appear.

Quote:

Here is what I think. You guys have a built-in bias against the new regime because you supported the previous regime so vigilantly and you don't dare admit you might have been wrong. God forbid!

I guess you didn't bother actually reading my post. My sentiments are very simple. I stated I have been let down by past regimes that were just as qualified, if not more qualified than this bunch over and over again. That includes the Holmgren/Heckert combination. Considering Heckert had a much better draft record before he came here than Lombardi's, I see a huge reason for concern here. If you wish to ignore that factor, so be it.

Quote:

While you weren't here, I stated from the beginning that Banner was going to be hired and voiced my concerns about that even before he was hired. You can look at the downward spiral of Philly the last few years Banner was there. You can look at Lombardi's former drafts.

I have said all along that I hope I'm wrong here. That would be best for all Browns fans. But I do believe. as most people do, that a resume' is something to be strongly considered when you form an opinion of what to expect from someone when they are hired to a position.

To ignore that is what I would consider to be foolish. Pardon me if I factor that into the equasion as to what I expect from this FO. It has nothing to do with the last regime with the acception that I do feel Heckert was far more qualified that Lombardi is and look where that got us.

But the whole, "I'm not sold yet" theory is a very non-committal middle ground that leaves plenty of room to defend people now and attack them later. Kind of wishy washy but good strategy from a message board point of view.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

As has been stated tab, I doubt anyone but Pioli himself was in charge of those moves. It's not really this hire that worries me, it's the two main characters in charge that do.

Quote:

JMHO

I can't say about Farmer because being in the Shadow of Pioli really doesn't indicate much one way or the other to me.

I will say I do like the coaching hires of Chud/Norv. All I can say is they had better be right about trying to "project" how our players will transfer to the 3-4 D. It's kind of funny to me how in many cases they talk out both sides of their mouths.

Did you ever stop to wonder how they have the defensive players all broken down and how they are better suited for the 3-4 than the 4-3.... Yet when you ask them abut the QB situation they seem to indicate they haven't had time to break down all of the film yet.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.... I am speaking about when they hired Horton and switched to the 3-4. At that point they claimed to have a handle on how the personnel would work on D but very few clues in terms to break downs on the O players. I don't see that as being honest.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Lets see, so if things remain consistent, Haslam has gone on record as stating that the modifications to the uniform won't include a logo on the helmet.

Get ready for Brownie on the sides of the helmet. Or, possibly a mean, agressive depiction of Banner.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I should wait till the draft is over but although I disliked the Lombardi hire, there (SO FAR) is something I feel is different than the other regimes that were in place..I'm not sure it's going to work but it feels like it just might .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I should wait till the draft is over but although I disliked the Lombardi hire, there (SO FAR) is something I feel is different than the other regimes that were in place..I'm not sure it's going to work but it feels like it just might .

I felt the same way under the last regime of Holmgren and Heckert,,,, turned out it was just indigestion

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even with them , this feels different.
Holmy didn't have that edge to him, and it was known he was not a FO person...he proved that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Even with them , this feels different.
Holmy didn't have that edge to him, and it was known he was not a FO person...he proved that.

You do realize I was kidding right

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah..but U always get indigestion..whats new?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Lets see, so if things remain consistent, Haslam has gone on record as stating that the modifications to the uniform won't include a logo on the helmet.

Get ready for Brownie on the sides of the helmet. Or, possibly a mean, agressive depiction of Banner.

He can't- it was part of the agreement to purchase the team. he is not allowed to touch the helmet by adding a logo. it must remain the way it is

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

how are those different things?

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol'd at Spirit and Vers at it again.

I am not sure how Farmer and Lombardi are going to work but I love the idea of getting Farmer in the fold. He is the guy I wanted to BE our GM.

Recent playing experience, recent player peronell role in the NFL to evauluate free agent pickups and pro players. Wheras Lombardi has been scouting mostly college guys the past decade.

Love it.

Last edited by BpG; 03/08/13 06:09 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

lol'd at Spirit and Vers at it again.

I am not sure how Farmer and Lombardi are going to work but I love the idea of getting Farmer in the fold. He is the guy I wanted to BE our GM.

Recent playing experience, recent player peronell role in the NFL to evauluate free agent pickups and pro players. Wheras Lombardi has been scouting mostly college guys the past decade.

Love it.

Another voice, idea or train of thought on players(s) will be a good thing imo.

Also in the event Lombardi does not work out we have an experienced replacement in the wings.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Ha. I was just imagining in a year the two will swap positions.

Farmer GM, Lombardi Assistant GM has a much better sound to it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I like the way it's set up with Chud answering to Banner.

No doubt Homie got involved. After he blew the deal with RGIII, he panicked and started trading picks that didn't make sense and pulling the rug from under Heck by insisting on taking Weeden when we did rather than wait for our 2nd round pick.

Yeah, he really blew that RG3 deal. He should have offered five first and five seconds for a player that may never finish a season healthy. If only we had RG3 he would win every game all by himself. Which is what he would have to do if we traded away the next four drafts to get him. The Skins had some talent on that team. RG3 just added to that. But yeah, I sure do with we had traded the sun. moon and stars for ONE player that is likely to get hurt all the time.....

I take it you thought we didn't need a RT in the draft last year? You would have spent the 2nd on Weeden and passed on Schwartz? And how do you know for SURE he would have been there at 2. We weren't the only ones desperate to get lucky at QB. Big deal, we took a shot at a kid we hoped would give us a chance. The jury is STILL out man. Weeden might surprise you......

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns make Lombardi G.M., Farmer assistant G.M.

Link Copied to Clipboard