Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
On an unrelated Hillis note, what a dummy. Could a player ever have played out a contract year more poorly than he did? He wanted more money then we offered. He got a one year deal from the Chiefs and is now searching for another team.

cfrs15 #762073 03/13/13 05:18 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

These corners (Rodgers-Cromartie, Lewis, Cason, Smith, and Talib) are just playing a giant game of chicken right now. Once one of them signs they will all go quickly. They are just looking for something to base their contract on.

Not so sure...Chris Houston is in the same class and he took a 5year, 25mil deal...maybe a couple of millions more for some bigger guys....I think everyone's citing that deal Eric Wright signed a year ago (5year, 38mil) and THAT might be the problem

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

These corners (Rodgers-Cromartie, Lewis, Cason, Smith, and Talib) are just playing a giant game of chicken right now. Once one of them signs they will all go quickly. They are just looking for something to base their contract on.

Not so sure...Chris Houston is in the same class and he took a 5year, 25mil deal...maybe a couple of millions more for some bigger guys....I think everyone's citing that deal Eric Wright signed a year ago (5year, 38mil) and THAT might be the problem

I'll never get the spelling right but what about Numdi Asamonga from Philly? Anything worth looking at? I remember him being amazing with the Raiders but stunk it up with the Eagles.. was it because of what they asked of him, or did he just get rich and give up?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
If we could get any of the corners I mentioned for 5 years, $25 million then we should do it immediately.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll never get the spelling right but what about Numdi Asamonga from Philly?

Oh my goodness.

I believe cfrs gave a spelling lesson earlier.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

4 teams (NOT us) in play for Nnamdi A.

49ers, Broncos, Cardinals, and Texans.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I tried man. I tried.

Asamonga? Really?

cfrs15 #762079 03/13/13 06:24 PM
H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Kerry Rhodes released from Cardinals. Yes, he's 30....let's get past that and reunite him with Horton.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually be able to go BPA at pick 6!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'll say this, in just one day of FA , this has been the most methodical and organized plan I've seen a Browns regime put together in a long time.

I agree. It's too bad Mangini is a idiot and Banner is a know nothing numbers guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'll say this, in just one day of FA , this has been the most methodical and organized plan I've seen a Browns regime put together in a long time.

I agree. It's too bad Mangini is a idiot and Banner is a know nothing numbers guy.

Mangini is an idiot...

What does that have to do with anything?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I think the teams are the ones playing chicken not the Cb's. There are a lot of FA Cb's on the market. No need to overpay. You will be able to get one of them.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Kerry Rhodes released from Cardinals. Yes, he's 30....let's get past that and reunite him with Horton.

he's a man. he's 30!

not Banner's type of signing but I am hoping Horton makes a convincing case for a short cheap contract.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

he's 30!

Oh ok...so I guess he's in his 2nd season.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #762085 03/13/13 07:20 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Cliff Avrill update

Basically saying he won't be getting the money he thinks he deserves.

Still a possibility for us?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Avril just signed with Seattle.

cfrs15 #762087 03/13/13 07:30 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Wowzers!!!

cfrs15 #762088 03/13/13 07:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I tried man. I tried.

Asamonga? Really?

Wow,, Just wow. So I freakin mispelled his name. So the answer is YES.. REALLY!

someone said you did something to help with his spelling,, pardon me for not reading ever freakin word you write.. I missed it.

Been a busy freakin day for me,, My mom fell and fractured her pelvis.. What the hell do you think is more important to me,, reading posts or her..

Wanna take a freaking guess.. YES REALLY

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
cfrs15 #762089 03/13/13 07:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is like the USSR vs the USA all over again. Holy crapizzle.

I bet Nmandi signs with San Fran now

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I tried man. I tried.

Asamonga? Really?

Wow,, Just wow. So I freakin mispelled his name. So the answer is YES.. REALLY!

someone said you did something to help with his spelling,, pardon me for not reading ever freakin word you write.. I missed it.

Been a busy freakin day for me,, My mom fell and fractured her pelvis.. What the hell do you think is more important to me,, reading posts or her..

Wanna take a freaking guess.. YES REALLY

Well

That escalated quickly

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

This is like the USSR vs the USA all over again. Holy crapizzle.

As active as we have been, those guys are the Main Event...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I am sorry to hear that about your mother and I hope that she has a rapid recovery.

Clevesteve and I were having a little bit of fun at your expense, it was not meant to be anything other than a joke.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I bet they get Revis

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I've been thinking that all along.Now that Seattle has signed,that WR whatever the hell his name is,SanFran needs another corner.
This is real interesting.A pissing match,but on a professional level.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Harbaugh and Carroll also despise each other from their days at Stanford and USC. This is the best rivalry going in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

he's a man. he's 30!

not Banner's type of signing but I am hoping Horton makes a convincing case for a short cheap contract.

Rhodes, even at 30, moves immediately to the top of my wish list for a starting FS.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Rhodes, even at 30, moves immediately to the top of my wish list for a starting FS.

Agreed. We can definitely use a veteran in the backfield calling the coverages out for our secondary.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Just a comment on Avril ......

Wow did he screw himself as far as money goes. (though he may have wound up in the best of all situations for him on a football basis)

He turned down $30 million for 2 years in Detroit ....... and signed a 1 year deal for something like $10 million ..... then he signs a 2 year/$15 million deal in Seattle ...... so that's a financial loss for him. He kinda turned out to be the reverse Flacco.

I am kinda surprised that he signed that quickly for such a modest deal. Maybe winning is important to him though. Also, maybe being able to stay at DE in the 4-3 came into play. Who knows?

It's not like he'll starve with the franchise deal followed u by a 2 year/$12 million deal ..... but he definitely left money on the table somewhere.

I do think that Seattle did really well with this deal. Very impressive openings to the pre-season for both Seattle and San Francisco.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Rookie
Rookie
Agreed and he knows Horton,s system.

Here we go again
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Just a comment on Avril ......

Wow did he screw himself as far as money goes. (though he may have wound up in the best of all situations for him on a football basis)

He turned down $30 million for 2 years in Detroit ....... and signed a 1 year deal for something like $10 million ..... then he signs a 2 year/$15 million deal in Seattle ......

From all I've read he turned down 30mil for 3 years, not 2, so 10mil/per...now he gets 7.5 per season. He lost himself 5mil over the next 2 years and another 8-10 depending on how he performs the next 2 seasons and if anyone is still interested in him in 2 years from now. Greed, but I kind of understand the players when you look at what the FAs got last offseason...problem is: this FA is bloated with much more talent because a) it was a good 2009 draft class, b) many more 1or2 year "prove it" deals the past couple of offseasons that hit the market again, c) GMs adjusting to "value" of players (history of bad FA contracts) and d) many more teams are close to the cap because the "move it into next year's cap hit"-moves are starting to bite them back...it's really just a bad year to be a FA, especially as a DB

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
It does seem like some teams are going all out on certain players ...... but many others have been relative values compared to prior years.

The Phins may regret that Wallace deal in a couple of years. However, even they didn't pay out a $100 million deal, or some other ridiculous amount.

I would also add that the Browns haven't blown up their salary structure for resigning their own guys. Haden, for example, cannot look at some enormous deal and say "I want that too". I would suspect that the Browns would be perfectly happy to give him a deal on par with what they gave Kruger.

I wonder what is going on with Cribbs. One minute he's signed, then the next there haven't even been heavy negotiations. It's just really strange. Supposedly there were a lot of teams hot on his heels, yet he really seems to have attracted minimal interest thus far.

Maybe he does wind up coming back at a greatly reduced price ...... who knows? Stranger things have happened.

I also would have expected to have heard something about Dawson by now .... at least him meeting with a team.Maybe we have a chance of getting him back.

I would guess that Watson and Smith are both history at TE.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's not surprising Cribbs hasn't signed yet. He's not exactly a tier one guy. Now that we're in day 3, and in the coming weeks and months, the rest of the pieces on the board will start to move. Hell, most of the top corners are and safeties are still in play. Cribbs, ST player & potential #3-4 WR, not that important in the grand scheme of things.

I just wish we'd make a hard run as Sean Smith.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #762104 03/14/13 08:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's not surprising Cribbs hasn't signed yet. He's not exactly a tier one guy. Now that we're in day 3, and in the coming weeks and months, the rest of the pieces on the board will start to move. Hell, most of the top corners are and safeties are still in play. Cribbs, ST player & potential #3-4 WR, not that important in the grand scheme of things.

It's more than likely when talking to the Browns, Cribbs over estimated his worth to not only the Browns, but to other teams as well.

Could be killing him at this point.

and his constant chattering on social media can't be helping much either for that matter.

I'd really like to retain both Josh and Phil,, but you know, sometimes you just gotta let go.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Cardinals | Expect to finalize with Joshua Cribbs Thursday
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 19:47:10 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals and free-agent WR Joshua Cribbs (Browns) have apparently agreed in principle on a deal Wednesday, March 13. However, some minor details need to be worked out, and a deal is likely to be finalized Thursday, March 14.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2NW45n2gG

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I would suspect that the Browns would be perfectly happy to give him a deal on par with what they gave Kruger.

I would suspect that the Browns would be thrilled to give him a deal like that.

Haden, on the other hand, not so much.

Adam_P #762107 03/14/13 10:02 AM
Legend
Legend
I meant structure more than anything ....... but didn't make that clear.

However,, they could do a deal like what they gave Kruger, and just use some bonus structures to put massive dollars immediately into Haden's pockets.

Maybe a deal designed to mimic the dollars that Wallace signed for, but structured differently. The Browns could give Haden a deal that gives him a minimal salary this year, but adds a reporting bonus and a signing bonus.

Maybe the Browns give Haden a $10 million signing bonus, and a $7 or $8 million reporting bonus, and then make up the difference in salary in years 2-5. In other words, a deal that would look something like this:

$10 million signing bonus
$800K 1st year salary
$7 million reporting bonus

Total 1st year cash to Haden: $17.8 million.

Year 2: $10 million
Year 3: $10 million
Year 4: $ 10. million
Year 5: $12.2 million

The numbers could change up or down depending on what the 2 sides agree upon, but the structure could be similar to this. The overall number is equal to what the Eagles gave Asomugha, without the 3rd year penalty to the team of a $15 million salary that they cannot afford.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I don't see Haden taking a backloaded deal. Backloaded means that the team either doesn't expect you to be around that long or plans on asking you to restructure after a few years.

I expect him to want plenty of money up front, $25+ million depending on how this season goes, with base salaries starting in the $7-8 million range.

I also expect our FO to balk at such a deal, considering the way Asomugha fell off the map in Philly and Banner's involvement in bringing him there. And as I've been saying for the past two seadons, I expect him to fall out of favor with the fanbase if/when contract negotiations don't go smoothly.

Adam_P #762109 03/14/13 10:18 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
I think it'll depend on the guaranteed money. we might be able to do something along the lines of what Ytown suggested as long as enough of it was guaranteed throughout the deal.

#gmstrong
Adam_P #762110 03/14/13 10:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Haden is 23. He has 7 years until he gets to Nnamdi range.

And that's ignoring the fact that they are a different style corner.

Had Philly used Nnamdi correctly (zone, one side of the field like in Oakland) then he might still be there.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Adam_P #762111 03/14/13 10:26 AM
Legend
Legend
The joy of the deal I suggest is that it's in no way backloaded.

A backloaded deal would include some ridiculous salary in the final year or 2 that they player would never see.

A flat deal, like this one, actually increases the likelihood that Haden would finish this type of deal, The Browns and his agent might even be in position to do another similar "final" contract for him in year 5 of the deal.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency III

Link Copied to Clipboard