Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#774516 04/11/13 11:24 AM
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Currently the browns have for draft picks..

Round 1, Pick 6 (6)
Round 3, Pick 6 (68)
Round 4, Pick 7 (104)
Round 5, Pick 6 (139)
Round 5, Pick 31 (164) (From 49ers)
Round 6, Pick 7 (175)
Round 7, Pick 21 (227) (From Bengals through 49ers)

Without the ammo to trade up, I think if their guy is not there they will find someone that wants to move into the sixth spot (likely for Gino, or a LT)

What would you do with the picks?

I would put trading back to acquire a 2nd only behind drafting Milliner (who I don't expect to be there)

If we can drop a few spots, grab a 2nd, and still get another CB? How great would that be?

I'd also consider trading back into the 3rd to pick up another 4th round pick, as I think the mid rounds are going to be the meat of this draft (and I'd grab Honeybadger with the extra 4th!)

What would you guys do?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My top choice is Dion Jordan at #6. I think he'll be long gone by the time we pick, not getting past Oakland. So, my first preference would be to do a deal with Miami for #12 and #54 (and maybe throw in #146 as well) assuming that one of the three LT is still around. Then at 12 take Warmack, Cooper, Rhodes, Jarvis Jones, or maybe Vaccaro. At 54 pick up Amerson, Poyer, Warford, Lemonier or Reid (likely gone, so maybe Phillip Thomas).

Beyond that it gets more difficult. I absolutely want OG, CB, FS, OLB out of this draft, preferably starters for the first 3. If we can get those, plus some depth, I'm happy overall.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i'd love to have 2 LTs gone by our pick and force AZ to trade up to #6. Let's say we only get a 3rd for it. Then, trade down again to Tenn or Miami and pickup a 2nd+4th.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would take Dee Milliner if he is there because I feel he is the best pick in the draft that fits this team. If he is gone I would trade down maybe even more than once as long as they target the right player.

# 6 Milliner if available if gone trade down to pick up a 2nd and get Xavier Rhodes.

With the 2nd rounder I would draft another corner that a scout I heard on Moving the Chains says could easily move to free safety Jonathan Banks.

With teams being more pass happy than ever before a CB playing free safety that can line up at times man to man would be a very clever move.

This draft from pick 10 thru middle of the 3rd round is very close to equal. Continue to build the team thru the draft.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For anyone interested. Moving the chains on NFL radio did their mock draft Friday the 12th. They had the Browns trade down with the jets then trade down again with the bucs. We took the CB Trufant with that pick (Milliner and Rhodes already gone). We then bundled the second round picks that we obtained by doing that to move back into the 1st and draft Jarvis Jones.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

For anyone interested. Moving the chains on NFL radio did their mock draft Friday the 12th. They had the Browns trade down with the jets then trade down again with the bucs. We took the CB Trufant with that pick (Milliner and Rhodes already gone). We then bundled the second round picks that we obtained by doing that to move back into the 1st and draft Jarvis Jones.

Pretty much what I'd expect from Lombardi, lol

I would be ok with moving down twice and then take a solid CB like Trufant, but would probably vomit if we moved back into the 1st for ANY player as I don't think that'e where the value of this draft is at...and then for one trick pony J.Jones? Yeah, I would be

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I may be in the minority, but I still believe the Browns are much more interested in Geno Smith then many realize.

Mel Kiper seems to think the same

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1048854898/Kiper-suspects-Browns-are-high-on-QB-Geno-Smith

"if" and I mean a BIG "If" the Browns don't feel they can get the value they want from a trade down(players that would be available), they aren't sold on their QB on the roster right now, and Smith is clearly the BPA on their board...don't be suprised if they don't take him if he is there.

Smith is much better then some of the media has portrayed him. Banner drafted McNabb in his 1st draft with philly, I won't be suprised if we don't take Geno if he is on the board.

This front office knows as well as i do that the reason we have sucked for the last decade has been because of our QB play. Taking a Defensive player at this point would be pointless...we need a player who can help us "compete"

I fully beleive if the Browns had "above average" QB play the last few years we would be an 8-9 win team....taking another defensive player like a CB just means another 4-5 win season....you gotta bring in a QB who can actually make us competitive. I really like what I have seen out of Smith...granted he played at WVU, but that doesn't matter. The talent is there...Smith has a nice set of wheels, he is accurate, he has more then enough arm to chuck the rock...and he seems to make pretty good decisions with the ball.

Ia Geno smith perfect? No..is Geno Smith Andrew Luck? No...but they are different types of QB...I think Smith gives the Browns much more to work with at QB then anyone we have no...and Chudzinski has worked with QB of a simliar skillset with guys like Cam Newton.

Im tired of junk garbage QB play...I see Smith as a young guy we can build around for a long time...he has all the talent you would want in an NFL QB...and I think guys like Norv and Chud can polish him up to a be the best option we have had a QB in a very long time.

There is always the chance Smith will be gone before we pick of course, but I am just saying if he is still on the board at #6 we may very well draft him....and trade Weeden on draft day...its just one of many scenarios that could play out.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Pretty much what I'd expect from Lombardi, lol

I'm sure you do n the emoticon signified joke. But of course you realize that move had nothing to do with Lombardi. But some NFL radio guys. Who btw all Mocks done out of Browns Territory usually have the dumbest moves made by these Experts for the Browns. Never a big picture PLAN or anything.

they go into a draft Web site like we do when we got the Bills or some team we don't Eat, Drink n Breath to know everything about. N see the "NEED" then go to some sight n see the positional grades n Voila...got our Browns PICK.

I would love to have gotten that trade down situation especially if Millner n Ziggy were gone. Trufant? Warmack? Mingo? Trade back into the first only if there was a QB we were targeting...or a player that is a steal.

JMHO...got to run Football!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NOOOOOOOOO!

I'd hate that pick. We don't know what we have in Weeden yet as he has not played a down in this new system which seems to be better suited for him then Shurmur's so why not use the pick on a position we know we need help at I.E. Secondary.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Legend
Legend
D
Here's Pro Football Weekly's take on Geno Smith (the negatives are pretty damning):

QB Geno Smith, #12
West Virginia
PFW Grade: 5.39
Ht: 6-23/8 | Wt: 218 | Sp: 4.59 | Arm: 321/2 | Hand: 91/4

Positives: Has a strong arm and can rifle the ball with good velocity into tight windows. Can throw with accuracy on the move and layer the deep ball. Good overall accuracy, ball placement and touch, especially on the fade route. Throws a very catchable ball — spins it tightly. Good escapability — can sidestep the rush, find an open throwing window and extend plays with his feet when needed. Outstanding straight-line speed — clocked the best 40-yard time (4.56 seconds) and broad jump (10-foot-4) of any quarterback at the Combine. Very durable, experienced, three-year starter — overcame an average offensive line, has never missed any time to injury and will play through pain.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I do not think Geno Smith is the answer at QB and I do not believe the new coaching staff wants to marry theirselves to Smith.

When a QB is taken this high then the success/failure of the coaching staff is pinned on that QB. Smith has too many question marks.

I think this staff will continue to build this team thru the draft and use free agency like they did this year to solidify the roster but not handcuff the future by keeping cap space available to strike when they feel they are close. Build an attacking style playoff defense and a build an offense that will be a strong running team at the line of scrimmage to set up the play action pass and deep balls. They have already brought in Cambell a solid vet that can keep the team competitive if Weeden faulters. I feel they will draft a prospect to groom even if Weeden succeeds. Then when the pieces are in place and if QB is still not settled they will either have confidense in the player they groomed or go all out to get the QB they want to be married to, to lead their team.

I do not think this staff is ready to be married to a QB yet. Atleast none in this draft class.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
I don't see us taking a QB just to take a QB. (which is what Smith would be)

He lacks elite abilities, and I would hate to see us waste a pick on a guy who may never reach average.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
What if we do know what we have in Weeden? The new regime has now had months to watch his game film. And now they are able to meet with him in the film room.

It is definitely possible that they have made their judgment of him.

With that said, I don't think Banner/Lombardi want to hitch their wagon to Geno Smith who is far from a sure thing. Front offices don't get to draft more than one first round QB very often and tying yourself to someone with a lot of questions marks is not an ideal situation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It would be different if this guy was Luck or Elway, guys who were rated as sure fire starting QBs but Smith isn't and quite a few people don't even think he is a 1st rnd prospect so why take the chance. Give Weeden a year to see and use the pick else where.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Round 1, Pick 6 (6)
Round 3, Pick 6 (68)
Round 4, Pick 7 (104)
Round 5, Pick 6 (139)
Round 6, Pick 7 (175)

Considering what's best for the team my No. 1 objective would be a trade down to regain a second and sweeten the pot with one or more late round picks.

I'm taking prospect availability into consideration. If the team stays with the picks they already have:

Round 1, Pick 6 (6), Ansah, Jordan as a consolation OLB/DE
Round 3, Pick 6 (68) Hayden/Ryan CB
Round 4, Pick 7 (104) Josh Evans/ Swearinger FS
Round 5, Pick 6 (139) Kasa/Sims TE
Round 5, Pick 31 (164) Vince Williams/ Jonathan Stewart ILB (Vers, I heard ya!)
Round 6, Pick 7 (175) Eric Herman/ Lamar Mady OG
Round 7, Pick 21 (227) Boren/Bohanon FB

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I really hope we do not take Geno Smith. Poor pocket awareness- the guy does not feel the rush, his internal clock sucks. AS proof of this- 32 career fumbles. YIKES. Stay away from this guy!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Round 1, Pick 6 (6)
Round 3, Pick 6 (68)
Round 4, Pick 7 (104)
Round 5, Pick 6 (139)
Round 6, Pick 7 (175)

Considering what's best for the team my No. 1 objective would be a trade down to regain a second and sweeten the pot with one or more late round picks.

I'm taking prospect availability into consideration. If the team stays with the picks they already have:

Round 1, Pick 6 (6), Ansah, Jordan as a consolation OLB/DE
Round 3, Pick 6 (68) Hayden/Ryan CB
Round 4, Pick 7 (104) Josh Evans/ Swearinger FS
Round 5, Pick 6 (139) Kasa/Sims TE
Round 5, Pick 31 (164) Vince Williams/ Jonathan Stewart ILB (Vers, I heard ya!)
Round 6, Pick 7 (175) Eric Herman/ Lamar Mady OG
Round 7, Pick 21 (227) Boren/Bohanon FB

I have a question ... and I see a lot of people do this, not just you ..... and it's not really a criticism, just a question .......

But why do you have 2 players for the same position in each round? Are those likely to be the best players available, or is the 2nd guy kind of a consolation prize if we miss the first? It just seems like people make up their mind on a position for each round, rather than who might be the best available player at each spot.

I look at our 1st round pick, and I would almost be fine with 3 or 4 different players, and would favor a trade down if we can rob someone blind in doing so. I like Milliner, Jordan, Mingo, Jones, and maybe Patterson, Rhodes, Austin, or Eifert if we trade down. (I'm not a big fan of Ansah, as some others are)

However, I would pretty much be OK with any of the guys I listed, because I don't see a huge dropoff from one to another.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I have a question ... and I see a lot of people do this, not just you ..... and it's not really a criticism, just a question .......

But why do you have 2 players for the same position in each round? Are those likely to be the best players available, or is the 2nd guy kind of a consolation prize if we miss the first? It just seems like people make up their mind on a position for each round, rather than who might be the best available player at each spot.

I look at our 1st round pick, and I would almost be fine with 3 or 4 different players, and would favor a trade down if we can rob someone blind in doing so. I like Milliner, Jordan, Mingo, Jones, and maybe Patterson, Rhodes, Austin, or Eifert if we trade down. (I'm not a big fan of Ansah, as some others are)

However, I would pretty much be OK with any of the guys I listed, because I don't see a huge dropoff from one to another.

No offense taken, I'm aware teams' big boards don't generally work this way. I'm not naive enough to believe that multiple players at the same position will be graded equally for every single selection.

I make no pretense, I'm a fan and I do silly fan type things. In this instance I gave examples of prospects I like who are generally rated in the same neighborhood who I would be pleased to have added to the roster. The first prospect mentioned is my preferred choice.

Legend
Legend
That's fair enough.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
At #6 if Milliner and Ziggy are both gone, trading down to get a 2nd round pick is a good move so long as we dont trade down to far.

Legend
Legend
Just clicking

How mad would all you guys (and gals) be if we picked Gino Smith with out first pick?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Regardless of whether or not we trade back, I'd like us to find a FS in the first 80 or so picks. I think it would be unlikely to find a rookie who could start after that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just clicking

How mad would all you guys (and gals) be if we picked Gino Smith with out first pick?

My reaction would be better than it was compared to last year when we drafted Weeden.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Yeah, me too. At least I wouldn't be out for blood if that happened.

ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Just clicking

My reaction would be better than it was compared to last year when we drafted Weeden.

Last year my grandma yelled at me cause I posted a four letter word that started with F on Facebook IMMEDIATELY after they announced pick 22...

If we take Geno, he BETTER be good, right away, I'm talking at least Russel Wilson good... Or it's all over before t even started...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Just clicking

I would be happy actually.

Look I HATE WVU with a passion...I can't stand them...I have every reason to want to diss Smith....but im telling you...I think the kid is a winner.

He is an upgrade over any QB currently on our roster...he is young, mobile, he is a threat to run and pass which seems to be the new way NFL QB are going...see RG, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Colin Kapernick...the Browns could do way worse then Smith, and we need to get with the times...

We won't win squat with Weeden or Campbell.....why not take a chance on a young guy?

As for those wanting a CB...we already have a 1st rd pick...a high 1st rd pick invested in CB...it don't make sense to invest another 1st RDer. We already signed Kruger and brought in that DE from the Raiders...we already have Rubin and Taylor. We allready invested high in RB with Richardson.

It doesn't make sense to go DL/CB/LB at #6, and this team needs a QB.

Chud has garbage to work with right now at QB....I have no doubts Chud could run the same O he ran in Carolina with Newton with Geno Smith here....our D is not that bad...we could deal Weeden to move back up into the 2nd rd and get a CB, and grab some more LB in the 3rd and 4th rds...

if you want to win more then 5 games next year, then your going to need a viable NFL QB and Weeden and Campbell are not it.

im sick and tored of this "we will win next year" loser mentality....the goal should be to win! every year to win! you should expect to win! only losers are statisfied with losing.

I like Geno Smith....if we get lucky enough to take him, he will beat out both Weeden and Campbell in camp by a large margin...he will be our starting QB on opening day, and we will win atleast 7-9 games wirh Smith...and we will atleast be competitive for a change instead of being 4-12, 5-11, etc....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the very first pick ever of the Haslam/Banner regime is Geno Smith I think dismay would best describe my combination of anger and depression.

I guess I could resign myself to taking Geno if it came after a trade down. The question then becomes does Geno get anointed the starter, based on draft position? Isn't that one of the criticism of the old regime and Weeden? If he didn't beat out Weeden what does that say? Generally speaking at this point picking any available QB in the first round would set the team back given the glaring needs elsewhere.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the very first pick ever of the Haslam/Banner regime is Geno Smith I think dismay would best describe my combination of anger and depression.

I guess I could resign myself to taking Geno if it came after a trade down. The question then becomes does Geno get anointed the starter, based on draft position? Isn't that one of the criticism of the old regime and Weeden? If he didn't beat out Weeden what does that say? Generally speaking at this point picking any available QB in the first round would set the team back given the glaring needs elsewhere.

if the new regime saw it fit to draft Geno.. then there would be no need for competition.. you don't draft a 1st round QB to have them compete against someone currently on the roster.. to me if you draft them in the 1st you have already done your research to show that they are already better than what you have.

Legend
Legend
With the qb's available next year, I'd be beyond livid if we took Geno Smith at 6.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

With the qb's available next year, I'd be beyond livid if we took Geno Smith at 6.

that would be my only hesitation.. i've been saying it for quite some time now that we should give Weeds 1 more year.. and then get who you want next year.. a lot better draft class..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think that you can ever look ahead a year as far as the draft goes. Last year people were saying how strong this year's draft would be for QBs, and it's a garage sale of overpriced toys that don't work right.

I see no one in this draft who looks like they'll be a franchise guy, and if you take a QB at 6, he better be a franchise guy. I would be livid if we drafted one of the QBs in this draft at 6. If we dropped down to the bottom part of the 1st ... then maybe ..... but even that looks like it would be overdrafting to me. I think that every QB in this draft will require significant work before he's ready to even think about starting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

if the new regime saw it fit to draft Geno.. then there would be no need for competition.. you don't draft a 1st round QB to have them compete against someone currently on the roster.. to me if you draft them in the 1st you have already done your research to show that they are already better than what you have.

You are absolutely right about that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You use the #6 pick in the draft on the best player available. When you draft the best Qb or CB when they are not the best player available that is when you get yourself into trouble. Ask Jacksonville about Blaine Gabbert.

My Qb rankings put:

Manuel as a late 1st early 2nd round value
Tyler Wilson as a early to mid 2nd
Smith and Glennon as late 2nd
Barkley as a 4th
Scott, Jones, Nassib and Dysert as a 5th

I am unclear about where Bray fits in.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So Green Bay should have started Rogers over Favre?

I think your statement is true only if the guy drafted is better than what you have on your roster. And you find that out in camp.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I'm not talking about Green Bay. I'm talking about us.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not talking about Green Bay. I'm talking about us.

I knew that. But even last year, when we had Colt then Weeden was drafted there was supposed to be competition. (not sure there really ever was, but it was supposed to be that way)

I guess I'm one of those guys that like competition. I mean, if you got a Tom Brady or a Payton Manning,, yeah,, I get it. You don't send in a rook to compete. You give him a shot to see what you got (cause you gotta) but it would be a cold day in hell that a rook beats Brady or Manning or Rogers or for that matter, at that point, Favre.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
j/c

I would be beyond furious if we took Geno Smith in this years draft.

He has never elevated his team like a good QB should, always struggled against good defenses, and over 30% of his passes were behind the LOS.

This kid got his name made by Tavon Austin finding YAC.

Give Weeden the year, hope he is either good so the Browns have their QB or terrible so that they can get their QB next year, and damn him if he is mediocre.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wouldn't be surprised or shocked if they draft a QB in round 1.

Let's face it, we HOPE we don't really know this regimes draft strategy. Looking at prior drafts these two were involved in, for the most part that's what we DON'T want to see here.

As I have stated, it seems they have backed themselves into a corner that says they need to draft a CB capable of starting day 1.

But does that really mean anything? Wouldn't drafting in the top 10 again next year be this FO's best chance of getting their QB of the future? I mean if we play .500 ball, where would that leave them of landing a franchise QB?

They made no bones about stating Weeden was a panic pick, so it's a little hard to do a 180 now. So will they take a risk with Geno or let the secondary fail creating another losing season?

Either way, I don't think they have the luxury of waiting any further than next year at the most. They have to turn this thing around if they can and once they do, a shot at a franchise QB would cost them the farm.

So actually neglecting the secondary this year could be their meal ticket to their franchise QB next year. Stranger things have happened in this league....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ditto.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Give Weeden the year, hope he is either good so the Browns have their QB or terrible so that they can get their QB next year, and damn him if he is mediocre.

I think this sums up my thoughts on the situation perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Looking at the picks...

Link Copied to Clipboard