Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Legend
Legend
B
By all accounts Bill hasn't been involved in the operations of the company for a decade or more. He is going to finish this term as Governor, then elected to another.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

By all accounts Bill hasn't been involved in the operations of the company for a decade or more. He is going to finish this term as Governor, then elected to another.

Family first Peen.. My guess is, if the family needs him, he'll do what's needed.

But anyway, there is a video on WKYC.com where Haslam had a presser at which time he made it clear he wasn't stepping down as CEO of Pilot Flying J. He didn't say anyting about the Browns (I didn't get to watch the whole thing but that's what the written headline said)

I suspect that someone will step into the breach if there is one at Pilot Flying J and Dee Haslam will take over as Owner of the Browns.. and as such, things will remain as they are.

Just a guess. But if you have 17 billion dollar net worth, you can find a way to do things.. it won't be a problem.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Just read a good chunk of the affidavit in support of the search warrant looks like a pretty elaborate scheme that was totally entrenched in their business operations. They added a column to track the fraud profits on their P&L statements.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I wonder what ol' brother Bill is thinking right now.

That's why you put money in a "blind trust". Zero liability for total BS.

My understanding is Bill put everything EXCEPT his Pilot/FlyingJ in a blind trust.

D
Legend
Legend
D
jc

I am really getting tired of this. Can't we as Brown's fan have one, JUST ONE, calm offseason?

Legend
Legend
no.

You're a Browns fan.

You'll have more chaos.... and you'll like it!

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I have to admit reading what I've read....that they were trying to confuse and obfuscate rebates that were owed to less savvy trucking customers.

It's sad. And pathetic.

I hope everyone involved including Haslem if true gets exactly what they deserve. Jail time and a little lighter in the wallet. Screw these guys.

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder what ol' brother Bill is thinking right now.

That's why you put money in a "blind trust". Zero liability for total BS.

My understanding is Bill put everything EXCEPT his Pilot/FlyingJ in a blind trust.

So Gov. Haslam may have had conversations about his investment in Pilot/Flying J with other members of his family...

Now you have to wonder how long the FBI and IRS may have been "listening" to the Haslam family talk about how the family business is being conducted. Did the Gov. have any knowledge of...or conversations about rebates?

As of now, it's hard to know how long the authorities may have been listening in and gathering information.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just read a good chunk of the affidavit in support of the search warrant looks like a pretty elaborate scheme that was totally entrenched in their business operations. They added a column to track the fraud profits on their P&L statements.

Well Yeah,, that's one side of it and it may be accurate. I'd like to hear the other side of it before I put the guy in front of a firing squad..

I have proof that your a mass murderer.. I'm going to get it published in the paper. Does that make it accurate?

Just give it time, we'll see. I do believe that where there is smoke, there is usually a fire. so chances are some or all of these accusations are true. The question remains, how much did Haslam know and when did he know it and how did he react.

I read some stuff in the Plain Dealer online this morning where a couple of trucking companies brought it to the attention of Pilot Flying J and restitution was made. I also read where the guy within Pilot wasn't happy about it. Sounds like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

One trucking company was owed a million bucks. Instead of the bucks, they told Pilot to pay off the corporate jet they owed money on.

It's not easy to get a million from the company without plenty of checks and balances. Haslam had to be made aware of it. If for no other reason than to approve the expenditure.

But if Haslam thought they were making good on the rebate promise, why would he not approve it.

JMO, but I think there is lots more to this than just the FBI's side of it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I agree w/one of YTown's posts where he said he was trying to stay positive, but it's really tough being a Brown's fan.

I am not going to get haughty, act offended, or proclaim to be enraged by Haslam's alleged crimes. I'll save those feelings for the rape and torture of the 5 year old girl that's in the news and other such crimes.

All I care about in this particular case is how it effects the Browns. I do not want the NFL taking over the team. I don't want the team sold. At worst, I hope a family member takes over the team.

I don't want more changes. I really like our new coaching staff. I think they could be the best coaching staff we've had since we've come back. I know that isn't high praise, but I had to temper my comments since they haven't won any games yet.

I really like Banner as our president. This guy had a ton of success in Philly and I think he is going to be a dynamic leader.

I like how our FO is set-up w/it being a "team" making decisions rather than an all-powerful GM who not only drafts the players but dictates who is on the roster.

The last thing the Browns need is more change. I am hoping that we can have stability in the FO and coaching ranks for a long time. And truthfully, that is all I care about in this particular investigation/case.

Legend
Legend
If Haslam is removed or suspended from ownership of the Browns, I think it's safe to say he'd turn it over to his wife Dee until all issues are resolved with his involvement on the actions of Pilot Flying J.

I don't know if he has any children or what ages they are.. But I suppose they are a possibility as well.

In either case, he's put management in place to run the operations of the Browns in Banner and Alec Scheiner. We shouldn't forget that Wiediman is still on staff although I'm not sure, last I heard, he was battling a health issue.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well so much for bringing stability to the organization. I am very disappointed I liked the passion Jimmy Haslam has seemed to bring to the team. Then he hired Banner, then Lombardi, and now this story. Thank God, Chip Kelly turned thier offer down to be Head Coach or there would be even more outside noise with the Oregan issues.

I hope I am wrong but I foresee another owner in the future of the Browns. That will lead to a new president, new GM, and new coach.

Meet the new boss! Same as the old boss!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
just clicking....

We (Browns fans) just can't seem to catch a break. We have replaced the Bungals as laughing stock of the NFL...as we should.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Haslam's troubles can't be brushed off
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nfl/clevela...amp;feedID=3725

... But it all seems so shameful, and it sure seems to bring a ton of shame to Cleveland and the Browns. ...

How the Hades does this "bring a ton of shame to Cleveland and the Browns" ????

Haslam just arrived in town a few months ago!! If Haslam did engage in fraud, then Cleveland and the Browns are just as much victims as whomever he defrauded.

This is like selling your home through a realtor, then a few months later the new owner is busted for selling drugs out of your old house. Would that bring shame to you as the previous owner?? Would that bring shame on the house??

The Browns just got sold to a new owner. Nothing Haslam may have done illegally prior to and apart from owning the Browns brings any shame upon Cleveland or the Browns. Only upon himself. Neither the people of Cleveland, the fans, nor the players and coaches, have any shame upon them for this. If the charges are true, then we have been just as defrauded as the others.

O
Legend
Legend
O
So, IF (and it's a big if right now) Haslam is guilty and see's jail time, what are the chances that the IRS or Court seize his Browns holdings? Then Obama would be the new owner, that would make most of the board happy! lol

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well so much for bringing stability to the organization. I am very disappointed I liked the passion Jimmy Haslam has seemed to bring to the team. Then he hired Banner, then Lombardi, and now this story. Thank God, Chip Kelly turned thier offer down to be Head Coach or there would be even more outside noise with the Oregan issues.

I hope I am wrong but I foresee another owner in the future of the Browns. That will lead to a new president, new GM, and new coach.

Meet the new boss! Same as the old boss!

Tony,, is that you?

Tony Grossi writes a story the other day about how Haslam may have to step down as Owner of the Browns.. The NFL follows that up with, we don't have any intention of asking Jimmy Haslam to step down..

Then everyone with something that resembles a growth on their shoulders suddenly thinks the end is near..

Gees people,,Chillax already...

Haslam has personal assets worth 18 Billion,, that includes the Browns (it's an est based on what was reported last summer)

they are talking about the rebates that weren't paid totaling in the Millions. What part of, "He can right a check to fix things in a NY Second" don't people get.

They still have to PROVE he knew. They have to PROVE he wasn't dupped by his own National Sales Staff. They have to PROVE he did anything wrong "KNOWINGLY"

So much stuff has to be fleshed out and in the last 3 days,, All I hear about is the Browns and Cleveland are being shamed by this man.

HOW? How does this reflect badly on Cleveland or the Browns? What the hell did Cleveland or the Browns have to do with anything that happens at Pilot Flying J.

WOW,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

All I care about in this particular case is how it effects the Browns. I do not want the NFL taking over the team. I don't want the team sold. At worst, I hope a family member takes over the team.

I disagree vehemently....as much as I don't want to change up everything again, esp. the great coaching staff...no way I want an owner for the Browns, a blue collar team, that robbed the working men and even made fun of them doing so. An owner is more long term than any FO or coaching staff, so we have to get it right there first and foremost...and Haslam is not "right"

I want Jimmy Haslam gone as soon as it's "official" that his company did what it did....he's undefensible as an owner of a Cleveland sports team imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So, IF (and it's a big if right now) Haslam is guilty and see's jail time, what are the chances that the IRS or Court seize his Browns holdings?

I would say that this has a 0% chance of happening.

1. If the Feds were to seize anything, it would be Pilot Flying J - not some unrelated business. You don't really even need to read item 2, as it really stops here.
2. I'm sure that the NFL would find a way to move ownership either to the league, another individual, or the City of Cleveland even, if they caught wind that this might even be a possibility.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

... I'm not trying to deflect it from us, because he owns the Browns, but he also owned a part of them up until just a couple weeks ago.

There is nothing to deflect from "us". It appears a crooked, billionaire businessman recently bought the Browns, if the IRS / FBI has a case. That says nothing about Cleveland as a city, the people of NE Ohio, the fans of the Browns, nor the players / coaches of the Browns. *If* the feds actually have a case (maybe a disgruntled employee just wants to get the boss in trouble: none of "us" really knows at this point), all that means is that we fans have also been defrauded. And as much as I hate the Steelers as a franchise, I seriously doubt anyone in the Rooney family was party to fraud by anyone in the Flying J / Pilot empire simply because Haslam was a minority owner at the same time the alleged fraud was being perpetrated.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Just because you have billions of dollars doesn't always mean your going to "get out" of something. A person shouldn't be able to buy themselves out of a crime anyways. Talk about unfair carrying of justice. Im sure no one here wants a justice system where there are two sets of laws...one for the rich and one for everyone else.

To be honest, we really don't know for sure what they have on Haslam.....who knows they may have been watching this for years...they could be going/have gone though tax returns going back decades and perhaps found even more frauds then the one they are accusing him off.

This is not to mention if these rebate frauds were even reported to the IRS...if not, then you got many counts of Federal Tax Evasion....which your not getting out of....there hasn't been a single person i can remember that was charged and found guilty of tax evasion that has not ended up in prison....

I am taking a wait and see approach here...I will say though "if" and I mean a big "if" he is found guilty of fraud, tax evasion, etc...in ortherwords if he is found guilty of a criminal activity...I do not want him as the owner of this...i don't want a known criminal, theif, and crook owning this beloved franchise.

As i said though we will just have to wait and see, but its not looking good...

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

That has never applied to the court of public opinion.

The FBI has recordings stating the Jimmy knew things, so it's going to get ugly.

What does the court of public opinion mean? Nothing.

The public can think a guy is guilty all they want, but that won't put him in jail.

There was public opinion that Richard Jewell was guilty,, FBI said they had evidence.. How did that work out?

Just sayin

The court of public opinion results in more or less ticket & merchandise sales.

But you are spot on about FBI investigations. Once an investigation is started based on a false lead or malicious, untrue accusations, and hundreds of agent hours and federal resources are down the tubes, the lead investigator needs something to prove he didn't waste his time. Ask Martha Stewart, Scooter Libby, etc. Some individuals end up serving time on 'process crimes,' either because they don't have a perfect photographic memory so as to allow them to precisely remember and testify to everything they've ever said and done in the past decade. When the accused get confused and say *apparently* contradictory things, investigators with nothing else to bring to court then must blow up faulty memories by nervous witnesses into lies and conspiracies just to get convictions to justify the year(s)-long investigation.

And your Richard Jewell observation is a classic example of a faulty first guess by an investigator being pursued unjustly by the feds needing something to show for their own incompetence and waste of tax-payer resources.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just because you have billions of dollars doesn't always mean your going to "get out" of something.

No, but it buys you the best defense lawyers in the business. And the losses plus fines wouldn't even dent the bank accounts of Pilot Flying J or Jimmy Haslam..

Which was, by the way, My point but you decided to think that I meant because they were wealthy, they'd get off..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Quote:

The court of public opinion results in more or less ticket & merchandise sales.

Winning will solve that in a NY Second... All the bad feeling about Randy Lerner would have disappeared if his teams would have won.. Same for Haslam..

The Richard Jewell example was only to demonstrate that the FBI doesn't get it right all the time. No matter how damning the evidence appears, mistakes can be made, but more importantly, I don't expect an FBI agent to understand the details involved in running a business such as Pilot Flying J.

And in no way would I knock the FBI overall. I mean, perfect example is this week with the whole Boston thing. What a freaking amazing job by them and the JTTF and locals..

This article is pretty detailed

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf...#incart_m-rpt-1

I'm only going to copy one quote from it, but you can read the whole thing to get the context

Quote:

That cautionary note was also sounded by Virginia Davidson, a former federal prosecutor and now head of the white-collar practice at Calfee, Halter & Griswold in Cleveland.

"This is, so far, a hearsay affidavit of one person," Davidson said of the document, filed by FBI agent Robert Root. "It's a very low standard of proof that an agent has to submit to a magistrate.

"It's a far cry from taking evidence to a grand jury, which again can be based on hearsay. And then in order to find a person guilty a jury has to find that every element of a crime has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt."

Just thought I'd point that out.. But it will get interpreted by each person differently so I don't expect it to shut anyone up...LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

The fact he hired DeBartolo's lawyer doesn't look so promising either.

After reading through all of what has been posted about the case thus far, things don't look promising. As a matter of fact, all indications are it's going to get very ugly.

I have felt from day 1 that Haslam misled (putting it mildly) us about full well knowing he would hire Banner to take control of football operations here.

I also feel that Banner misled us about fully knowing he would hire Lombardi from day 1. They misled everyone about Colt being in competition for the starting QB position last year.

I guess the question is, when people mislead you, or flat out lie to you over and over, at what juncture does your trust in them evaporate?

And this is the foundation of why I really don't trust what Haslam is telling us now. De Bartolow had to role over and give the Feds evidence on a bigger fish to stay out of prison. In this case it looks as if Haslam is the big fish.

And for those thinking it is a civil matter? Fraud is criminal, not civil. While it is still playing out, if they have the recordings and they go very deep, the paperwork and documents from Pilot Flying J headquarters will back it up.

It is still a wait and see, but even if it goes on very long and the press keeps pounding on it, it is "detrimental to the league"

But I doubt the billionaire's club will hold an owner, one of their own, nearly as accountable as they do players and coaches. Even though they were forced to back track on some of it.

These are the grounds on which I've never really trusted this group from the beginning.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thus the search warrants to find documentation backing up the allegations. To shore things up. And we have to wonder how many recordings from how many people they really have?

I doubt they would have acquired a search warrant without quite a bit to start with in that regard.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

After reading through all of what has been posted about the case thus far, things don't look promising. As a matter of fact, all indications are it's going to get very ugly.

well, I'd hire DeBartolos Lawyer also,, he's got experience dealing with the NFL.. makes perfect sense.

And all you read was half the story.. do you know anything at all about Haslams side of things? Of course you don't..

As mentioned in another post,, personally, I believe that where there is smoke there is fire. so it's just a guess but I'd say part or all of the accusations are true.

I would however, like to hear the other side of the story before sending the man to visit ole sparky

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

well, I'd hire DeBartolos Lawyer also,, he's got experience dealing with the NFL.. makes perfect sense.

And all you read was half the story.. do you know anything at all about Haslams side of things? Of course you don't..

As mentioned in another post,, personally, I believe that where there is smoke there is fire. so it's just a guess but I'd say part or all of the accusations are true.

I would however, like to hear the other side of the story before sending the man to visit ole sparky

Not to mention DeBartolo got off clean for bribing a public employee.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not to mention DeBartolo got off clean for bribing a public employee.

I didn't know that, but Ok, anyway, the only thing he lost was the 49ers and I don't believe Haslam will lose the Browns.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The Browns won't be owned by Haslam for very long.

If there's tax evasion implications, he's got about as much chance of avoiding white collar lock-up as we do to win the Super Bowl.

If the FBI isn't bluffing about their case - and they rarely do - Jimmy is screwed, and the NFL won't want the Haslam name anywhere near them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't give a rats ass about Haslem so whatever happens, happens.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't give a rats ass about Haslem so whatever happens, happens.

I wouldn't have up until a year ago, but he is the owner of our team, but I agree. Whatever happens, happens.

It won't impact the Browns in so far as operations, and IMO isn't a stain on the team or the city. Haslam is from Tennessee. I don't consider it a stain on this state.

It is what it is....it will play out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It will be VERY interesting to see how this all pans out. I'm sorry to say this but right now he's dangerously heading into scumbag territory - at least on a business level.

...Not that we aren't used to reading dubious stuff like this every day online and in the paper, but this IS our new owner (sighs).

When all is said and done i wouldn't be surprised if he continues to say he didn't know about this, puts the blame on somebody else, gives them a nice chunk of hush money and they take the fall, if this is even possible.

Legend
Legend
Some industrious individual needs to go open an ebay account in Jimmy's name and put the Browns up for auction.

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
What are you waiting for? Just make the eBay account, a fake Jimmy Haslam twitter account, and tweet it to Mary Kay. You'll be famous!

Legend
Legend
I had my 15 minutes long ago.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

It will be VERY interesting to see how this all pans out. I'm sorry to say this but right now he's dangerously heading into scumbag territory - at least on a business level.

...Not that we aren't used to reading dubious stuff like this every day online and in the paper, but this IS our new owner (sighs).

When all is said and done i wouldn't be surprised if he continues to say he didn't know about this, puts the blame on somebody else, gives them a nice chunk of hush money and they take the fall, if this is even possible.

I had another post up but deleted it as this is boundary on political discussion and for my own reasons I have decided to stay out of those discussions when I can.

We will see how it pans out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Some industrious individual needs to go open an ebay account in Jimmy's name and put the Browns up for auction.

I would, but Randy may have a "sale voided" clause for 4 years in the sales agreement. Then again, depending on penalties, fines and back taxes, the IRS may own the Browns.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
JC

I'm in the lets just wait and see group. While I hope he is innocent (he really seams like a nice guy) I also realize things are not always as they seem and if he was ripping people off i do not want him owning our Browns

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

I would, but Randy may have a "sale voided" clause for 4 years in the sales agreement. Then again, depending on penalties, fines and back taxes, the IRS may own the Browns.

Will that make us America's team?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I disagree vehemently

That's your right, but frankly, I could give a rat's butt about what your biased self thinks about this. You, Pit, and mac are almost giddy that he is in trouble. Weird.

I got news for you. Your boys, The Big Show and Heckert are not coming back. So stop the charade of how offended you are.

I didn't see you guys calling for the ouster of the Lerners. Al helped Art w/the move to Baltimore. Junior sold his company and caused a huge number of people [you know, the little guys] to lose their jobs. He was constantly firing secretaries, runners, etc from the Browns. He wanted to move TC to Columbus to broaden the marketing of the Browns. And not a peep from you guys. Hell, Mac even defended Junior causing people to lose their jobs.

Furthermore, how many really rich guys do you think are honest? Seriously man, do you know anything about business? Do you know anything about how large corporations work?

All I care about in this case is the success of the Browns and I don't want the team sold or for the NFL to take it over. You disagree, fine.......but save the melodramatics for someone who doesn't know better.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... FBI locks down Cleveland Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam's Pilot Flying J headqu

Link Copied to Clipboard