Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#778129 04/21/13 09:48 AM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
So this top 5 draft scenario has been running through my mind and wanted to get thoughts on who the Browns should select if they cannot find a trade partner. I believe if it played out this way (which I think is a real possibility) this could be a nightmare for those that think the Browns would then "reach" for their selection....

1. Luke Joeckel (Chiefs)
2. Eric Fisher (Jaguars)
3. Dee Milliner (Raiders)
4. Dion Jordan (Eagles)
5. Ziggy Ansah (Lions)

Again, If the Browns are unable to find a trade partner, who would be a logical choice?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I'd have to think Mingo or Geno Smith... maybe Rhodes..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Warmack or Cooper in that scenario and with no trade down partner

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Lotulelei, Floyd,Mingo,Warmack, if forced to adhere to the strictest interpretation of you scenario. IMO,Rhodes, Eifert and Vaccaro would make much or more sense for the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So this top 5 draft scenario has been running through my mind and wanted to get thoughts on who the Browns should select if they cannot find a trade partner. I believe if it played out this way (which I think is a real possibility) this could be a nightmare for those that think the Browns would then "reach" for their selection....

1. Luke Joeckel (Chiefs)
2. Eric Fisher (Jaguars)
4. Dion Jordan (Eagles)
5. Ziggy Ansah (Lions)

Again, If the Browns are unable to find a trade partner, who would be a logical choice?

I really don't see that order happening; 1) Jacksonville needs a RT not a LT and with all their needs i seriously doubt they'll take a RT that high in the draft. 2) I can't see Philly taking another DE/OLB in the first round when they have all kinds of money tied up in Trent Cole, Connor Barwin who they signed, and former 1st rnd pick Brandon Graham.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
1. Luke Joeckel (Chiefs)
2. Geno Smith (Jags)
3. Eric Fisher (Raiders)
4. E.J. Manual (Eagles)
5. Dee Milliner (Lions)

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
The good news is that one of these three will be available at #6

Millinar
Ansah
Mingo

Any one of these three are a successful pick. Would be nice to have Millinar opposite Haden, to slow downs Flacco, Big Ben and Dalton. The Browns are in desperate need of a FS as well.

Legend
Legend
I pray that Ansah is gone when we pick.

I just look at him and see Gerard Warren .... a competent and capable NFL player, and a guy who could have a long career in the league ...... but a guy who will never be the difference maker he was drafted to be. He'll be a useful piece for a good team, but never a cornerstone. Top 10 players are supposed to be cornerstone types, that you build around ...... not guys who are limited, situational players. I just don't see special in Ansah.

Obviously, I will hope desperately that I am wrong if we wind up drafting him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

I just look at him and see Gerard Warren .... a competent and capable NFL player, and a guy who could have a long career in the league ...... but a guy who will never be the difference maker he was drafted to be. He'll be a useful piece for a good team, but never a cornerstone. Top 10 players are supposed to be cornerstone types, that you build around ...... not guys who are limited, situational players. I just don't see special in Ansah.

I feel the same exact way.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If it played out this way...I'd pick Mingo.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/21/13 01:12 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Similar scenario slightly different player:

1. Joeckel
2. Jordan
3. Fisher
4. Lotuleilei
5. Milliner

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

1. Luke Joeckel (Chiefs)
2. Eric Fisher (Jaguars)
4. Dion Jordan (Eagles)
5. Ziggy Ansah (Lions)

"IF" this were to happen, remember Lane Johnson is still out there and either S.D. and N.O. will want to get there hands on him ... Therefore I believe we would go to 11 or 15 and take one of the following:

TYLER EIFERT TE ND
CHANCE WARMACK OG BAMA
JONATHAN COOPER OG NC
XAVIOR RHODES CB FSU
JARVIS JONES OLB UGA

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm not the kind of fan who likes to argue ad nauseum about the hypothetical merits of my favorite player versus some other fan's preference. So, I respect your right to your opinion. At the same time your comparison of Ansah to Warren seems way off base. Warren's deficiencies seemed to be mostly character or attitudinal. He possessed an abundance of God given talent that he never coupled with hard work or maximum effort on the field. The word entitled best describes his approach as a professional athlete. Simply put, I don't see any signs of those attributes in Ansah. He surely can be criticised on tangible aspects of his game. Perhaps that's what you were doing, if so, I missed that.

You criterion of a "cornerstone" player would only seem to apply to a few prospects that are being considered for selection in the top ten. IMO only Joeckle, Floyd, Lotutelie and Fisher fit that description without question. Anyone else is a very good to great complimentary player. That just the nature of this year's draft.

No disrespect intended.

Legend
Legend
Well, I don't believe that Ansah has character issues, I thought that I made my comparison clear, but maybe not. I just see him as an "OK" player, who will never be worth the investment made in him.

I prefer, at this point, to trade down, if we can find a trade partner.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Mingo, Star, Rhodes, Hayden??? n Warmack.

Only saying Hayden cause of Mayock putting him high up...He knows DB he also is getting some feedback from NFL active friends??? Trufant???

Ytown...why hate on a guy...just pimp your own. Quite frankly what you fear is an awesome defensive player. One question cause you insult my HOPE PICK for us

Pray tell...just what do Ansah has in common w/Warren. POT? Laziness? Motor? Intelligence? Come on man...throwing a name out there and hoping it sticks??? pfft

We got a shot hopefully of a 8-10 year Dominating OLB for our new D...one who can be versatile in any Multiple front situation the DC is looking to utilize. One who is Good against the run naturally. One who is learning n picking up things at an alarming rate.

Gee he reminds me so much of Warren too
Come on Man. lol ...who do you like so I can HOPE HE's GONE...lol

I don't take it personal...I just don't get the fear. I understand the lack of playing time, etc. But he seems to get better with the more advanced competition not worse. He could at worst become AVERAGE...but the upside is one of the most DOMINANT Edge guy to come around in AGES!!! Yep - I hope he gone too

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quite frankly what you fear is an awesome defensive player.

If we wind up drafting him, then I will be praying that I'm wrong.

I'd rather be wrong and have a great player, then to be right and have a so-so player. (or worse)

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
What I fear is drafting an awesome athlete who doesn't know how to play football and doesn't have the right skillset to play 3-4 OLB.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think birthday congratulations might be in order. If so, Happy Birthday! Also, thanks for letting me agreeably disagree with you.

Legend
Legend
Thank you.

As to the other matter, this place would be pretty boring if everyone agreed with everyone else 100% of the time. Just because we agree to disagree doesn't mean that we have to be disagreeable.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
jc

If millner is gone AND we cant trade down then I want hyaden. We NEED our #2 CB baddly.

I wont be disappointed if we end up taking Ansah or wormack though. Myabe even take Elam or reid at FS which would fill a huge hole. I think Elam is going to be a probowler on the defense we will be running. I can just see Horten licking his chops to draft him. If we gained a second round pick Elam is my number one choice.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

I don't take it personal...I just don't get the fear. I understand the lack of playing time, etc. But he seems to get better with the more advanced competition not worse. He could at worst become AVERAGE...but the upside is one of the most DOMINANT Edge guy to come around in AGES!!!

Boy I hope you're right Eo. But as much as you like this guy you have to think that this is the epidemy of BOOM/BUST.

And THAT scares me to at 6.

I just don't want to see a scenario where we are sitting at 6 and all of Jordan/Anzah and Milliner are gone. That would suck in the worst way. What do we do? Reach for Rhodes cause of need? Warmack at 6 is also a major reach. Eifert at 6? NO WAY.

This scenario would play heavily in us leaning toward BPA and that guy is FLOYD for this DL.

Everyone is slobbering over Milliner. Newsflash folks. Milliner is NOT a Top 5 talent. Personally I don't think he's anywhere near the talent of previous Top 5 CB's. Hell, Champ Bailey went 7. There's just very few Corner's that go that high.

And then there's Jordan. PURE OLB in a 3-4. OLB's just don't go that high either. And one could argue Anzah being a 3-4 OLB also. Though he could easily be a DE in any 4-3. Unless Philly takes Jordan with ties to Kelly, I can easily see him at 6 for us along with Milliner.

Why? Because DT is also a rare breed and studs go Top 5 all the time. Therefore I would be shocked if Floyd/Lutolelei and Richardson or any combination of the 3 DON'T go Top 5.

Having one or two of the DT's and QB Smith going early will open this up for us.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just busting your Chops Ytown...

Powder...just what are his skill sets? Considering you have classed him as a 3 point player only. When I don't think there is ONE GM/Personnel guy who has classified him as that. Oh maybe a Casserley who doesn't like him might.

Just know one thing on the skill sets. When the combine separated the DL who would go get worked in drills for LB...he was the first ("A"nsah) in all the drills. He picked the instructions up at the onset and showed no difficulties in transitioning his "SKILL SET" to OLB. I'm telling you all - This kid has improved at a rate NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN! Tape you saw of him in Nov. Tape you saw of him in Bowl games. Tape you saw of him at the Senior Bowl...just amazing growth. Combine his skill set kept on that growth. Really to evaluate him correctly is to work him out Privately now n talk to him about football. For some reason I think he KNOWS the game n is intelligent n a very very fast learner. What I do know is we worked him out. He is proving to be an amazing Football player - I have never NEVER seen a DE dominate the Senior Bowl the way he did. And that was going against some highly regarded OTs. The kid was making Tackles all the way to the other Side line for goodness Sake!

You all got to stop thinking Gholston or Chaun Thompson, Junkin - Not only is Ansah closing in on the Can't MISS Prospect but he is perfect for these New Hybrid/Fronts whatever you wish to call them as he is 270. He is a FREAK OF NATURE that can Dominate a game! DOMINATE! Time for us to start thinking GREAT TEAM tired of safe...you want safe then pimp Warmack...he is the safest pick in this draft!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

Powder...just what are his skill sets? Considering you have classed him as a 3 point player only. When I don't think there is ONE GM/Personnel guy who has classified him as that. Oh maybe a Casserley who doesn't like him might.

I see him as an OLB in a 3-4 just like everyone else does, but I prefer him as a 4-3 DE. I think that's where he can excel.

As for why I don't like him as much in a 3-4, he doesn't have that elite first step that all the best pass-rushing 3-4 OLBs in recent years have had. I think his ceiling in a 3-4 is a slightly better version of Tamba Hali, but he's still so far away from that level in terms of technique that he kinda scares me.

This is admittedly a superficial analysis. I haven't studied him much at all, but what little I've seen doesn't scream "superstar" in a 3-4 IMO.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Think you have to go with Sharrif Floyd if that's how it plays out.

Definitely not a spot of need, but he'd be another impact guy up front.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Think you have to go with Sharrif Floyd if that's how it plays out.

Definitely not a spot of need, but he'd be another impact guy up front.

Then you will have Gerard Warren - FLORIDA DT EARLY PICK FAILURE ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
What about Tavon Austin at #6

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

What about Tavon Austin at #6

He is good but if i am taking a skilled position I would take Tyler Eifert TE ND ... JMHO

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't want Ansah either. A major project and I am not sure the guy isn't older than Weeden.

To go with the thread, if if plays out as listed and we can't trade down. Warmack. Pretty simple IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Cooper over Warmack.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

[
Then you will have Gerard Warren - FLORIDA DT EARLY PICK FAILURE ... JMHO

I don't put any stock in school affiliations and prior pick position. Sharrif is what he is. If he's another Gerard Warren based on talent or attitude? Than definitely avoid him at #6.

A couple of other guys I could see in this scenario... Eiffert or Warmack. And Memphis, you've concocted a worst-case-scenario here. Hope it doesn't happen!

Legend
Legend
I simply do not see the value in a Guard at 6. This team needs weapons and attackers, not interior linemen. (especially shorter interior linemen who lack any versatility at all) Guards are one position that can develop in the NFL. They can be built, rather than paying top dollar for them in the draft.

Teams, good teams, have Guards drafted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or later rounds .... or who even went undrafted altogether. Good teams develop these players into starter quality players ... they generally don't invest 1st round picks in them.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If the Browns want to be an attack style team I see the targets at 6 being an OLB or CB. I think if either of these 2 players are there they will pull the trigger rather quickly.

Dee Milliner to play opposite Joe Haden. An attacking style defense has to put their corners on an island with no fear.

Dion Jordan to be the impact pass rusher an attack style defense needs, Also, teams that rush the passer needs to have mulpile pass rushers to rotate and keep fresh,

If neither of these players are there they will trade down if possible to acquire more picks then target the next best batch of OLB and CB's. I would also add a S and TE to the list.

At CB Xavier Rhoades, Desmond Trufant, or DJ Hayden for the same reasons I see Dee Milliner at 6.

AT OLB Jarvis Jones or Barkavious Mingo for the same reasons they would select Dion Jordan.

In a trade down Kenny Vaccaro or Eric Reid becomes an option. Lets not forget Lombardi and Belichick selected Eric Turner as their first pick with the Browns in 1991.

Tyler Eifert also comes into play as the best playmaker that fits what Chud and Turner wants to do on offense.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I simply do not see the value in a Guard at 6. This team needs weapons and attackers, not interior linemen. (especially shorter interior linemen who lack any versatility at all) Guards are one position that can develop in the NFL. They can be built, rather than paying top dollar for them in the draft.

Teams, good teams, have Guards drafted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or later rounds .... or who even went undrafted altogether. Good teams develop these players into starter quality players ... they generally don't invest 1st round picks in them.

I understand. Most don't. I do get it, but after 14 years in the pro's, and the guy is a 10 time pro bowl player, you and they will.

If you recall, a number of years ago I pimped Steve Hutcherson, and got the same "stuff".....how did that pick work out?

It might not be a "sexy" pick, but a pancake machine on the interior line isn't a bad thing....is it?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I do not disagree with your philosophy. If your drafting in the 1st round and Chance Warmack is the top player on your board pull the trigger. Best player available in the 1st. Fill needs 2nd thru. Cannot argue with that philosophy. Many experts say that is the best philosophy to gain value to your team and not draft busts. I would not mind at all if our knew front office used that philosophy no matter who they draft as long as it is the highest rated player on their board talent wise.

Legend
Legend
Steve Hutchinson (#17 in 2001) or Reggie Wayne? (#30)

Steve Hutchinson or Todd Heap? (#31)

Steve Hutchinson or Nate Clemons? (#21)

Steve Hutchinson or Casey Hampton? (#19)

Steve Hutchinson or Jeff Backus? (#18)

Steve Hutchinson or Ryan Pickett? (#29)

Steve Hutchinson or Drew Brees? (#32)

Steve Hutchinson is a very, very good player. However, I don't think that I would take him over Wayne, or Backus, or Clemons, or Brees .......

I would take him over Heap or Hampton.

It's hard to know what kind of impact he's had in the run game over the years, because he got to block for 2 really great RBs in Shaun Alexander and Adrain Peterson.

With the Vikings, they allowed:

In 2006, 43 sacks.
In 2007, 38 sacks
In 2008, 43 sacks.
In 2009, 34 sacks.

In 2004 and 2005, the 2 years prior to signing Hutchinson, the Vikings allowed 46 and 54 sacks. So, his presence did improve some things ..... but the Vikings were still up and down as far as allowing sacks.

I just don't see the huge impact that Hutchison, a likely Hall of Fame player, had on the Vikings. I would argue that Peterson and Brett Favre had a bigger impact.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Steve Hutchinson (American football)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Steve Hutchinson

Steven J. Hutchinson (born November 1, 1977) is a former American football guard who played twelve seasons in the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Michigan, and was named an All-American. The Seattle Seahawks picked him in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft, and he also played for the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans. He is a seven-time Pro Bowl selection.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I agree with ya Peen if that was someone's weakness on a good team and was just filling a few holes from a otherwise stellar roster. It then makes perfect sense to take a stud guard that high. We just not to that point yet. We have glaring needs in other positions to me that we can land and make a bigger impact (which we need) than a interior OL.
I sure do look for the day when we can do that Peen. That means we will prolly be picking.on the backside of the first round then!!!! Here is to wishing!!!!!

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
My scenario for only the Cleveland Browns would be a corner to shutdown other side of Joe Haden,then pick up a spy well a great gap and stop spy.The read option needs a spy on Qb and running back in opinion.Cleveland Browns might have that great spy and gap plug.Then say Cleveland Browns get there pass rusher,even though Kruger should be that with the money he was paid.So say a Qb because Brandon Weeden doesn't perform well enough,In opinion two or three Qb stand out to me for Cleveland Browns.EJ Manuel and Matt Barkley if you can get him to play mad.Matt Barkley reminds me of Terry Bradshaw in a way that determination out willed the athleticism,again have to get Matt Barkley fired up to want to win.In opinion might be easy,seems when you say you can't is when you can with sheer determination to prove nay sayers wrong or that it can be done.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Hey Bubba!

I understand your point, but somehow I don't think it is ever a bad idea or bad time to select a pro-bowl type player.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
You never know - do Banner/Lombardi have the luxury of not being afraid of Risk regarding the draft? If you study "OUR" draft history n you know what pretty much the same around the NFL. Taking OL is a pretty safe pick. Low risk involved and Long term reward. If our guys just want their first pick ever to be known as a solid pick...we will have Warmack, Cooper or Warford on our roster. OL is not rocket scientist stuff in Evaluation which is why they have high success compared with other positions.

I think we need to take a risk...get a Ansah or a Jordan. If we trade back I can see a solid pick like OL (Warmack) or TE (Eifert)...JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Day Scenario

Link Copied to Clipboard