Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#780780 04/26/13 03:15 PM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's getting interesting, down to the final game. The Wings need a point on Saturday to eliminate Cbus, Jackets need a win and a Detroit loss. Once you make the show, it's anybody's game....especially with a hot goalie. It's been hard to follow this year due to the strike and Detroit rebuilding, but you can't beat playoff hockey.

Go Wings! (but I won't be too upset if CBJ makes it at their expense...I don't see Detroit getting out of the first round).

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780781 04/26/13 03:26 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

It's getting interesting, down to the final game. The Wings need a point on Saturday to eliminate Cbus, Jackets need a win and a Detroit loss. Once you make the show, it's anybody's game....especially with a hot goalie. It's been hard to follow this year due to the strike and Detroit rebuilding, but you can't beat playoff hockey.

Go Wings! (but I won't be too upset if CBJ makes it at their expense...I don't see Detroit getting out of the first round).

+1 jfanent...

I'd love to see the Wings keep their streak alive, but I think the Jackets are playing more consistent and better hockey overall right now. I could root for them if they kick the Wings to the curb.

Howard has been great down the stretch though. Don't know if he can keep it up in the the playoff cauldron, but you never know.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
jfanent #780782 04/26/13 03:49 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
My Toronto Maple Leafs are in, first time since 2004. \

It's gonna be a stressful bumpy ride, that's how the playoffs are for me when my team is playing.

Most likely we'll be playing Montreal, which would be a dream matchup of Original Six teams. Old guys will be shedding tears if that happens (first time since 1979).

Even though they will finish ahead of Toronto in the standings, we match up well with Montreal, almost every time we've played them this season (3-1 against the Habs with the final game Saturday night), they've had trouble skating with us and we're more physical.

The last I read, Toronto leads the NHL in fighting majors and hits (although fighting isn't a factor in the playoffs like the old days, it's stilll nice to know we have guns in the holster if we need 'em); we can put the puck in the net and Reimer is a very steady goaltender, very much a goalie who is all about being in good position.

Phil Kessel has always been streaky, but he's freaking on fire - has nine goals and eight assists in the past 10 games, and Nazem Kadri is starting to blossom.

We might be a dangerous playoff team (or, we might go out in the first round!). One thing I worry about is we don't have a lot of guys with playoff experience.

There used to be other Leaf fans on this board, IIRC.... am I the only one left?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

There used to be other Leaf fans on this board, IIRC.... am I the only one left?

Who was that.....he had a Leaf avatar, didn't he? (or was that you.) I don't see how anyone can root against Toronto. A Leafs/Habs playoff series is just what the league needs right now. Good Luck!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
I hope it's Montreal/Toronto. I won't miss a second of that. I hope Toronto's fans bring it for that series. I don't see how they wouldn't.

If I'm Chicago, I'd rather play Detroit in the first round over Columbus or Minny. I know that sounds shocking, but Detroit is just not what they used to be. Their whole philosophy is built around puck possession, and that's really been taken away this year. They have a solid goalie but if I'm the Hawks, I won't no part of Bobrovsky right now.

I don't see any of these teams as last year's Kings, but you never know. The Kings were a team that played unreal defense all year, were stockpiled with good offensive players, and just waited until the last part of the year to put it together. Perfect storm of events.

Legend
Legend
Yup, I don't want CBus at all. That goalie scares me.

I want the Wings too. I think it would be an easier first round win and I could probably get more for my tickets for Game 1 (I tried selling on eBay and nobody would bite, I guess people want to know who the opposing team will be before dropping cash. I may end up going, but we'll see.).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I just love the fact that the players are relatively fresh from the short season.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780787 04/26/13 04:36 PM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
People are also forgetting if Minnsota would lose there two games or lose one and get a point in the other and the Jackets win, CBJ gets in. Was listening to the radio today and they didn't even mention Minnesota. After looking at the opponents for the Wild, I don't think it will happen but who knows what will happen.

Frenchy #780788 04/27/13 12:37 AM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Well, Well, Well Minnesota lost tonight 6-1 at home vs Edmonton, WOW. You would have thought with a clinching game for the playoffs at home they would have showed up, but they got hammered!

Now for the CBJ, I will assume they will win tomorrow night, I know see the Wild tonight, but here goes, they win with a loss by either Detroit or Minnesota they are in.

CBJ go to OT/SO and Minnesota loses they make playoffs.

CBJ wins and minnesota goes to OT/SO they make the playoffs.

Tonight's game is gonna be an electric environment win or lose. Cheapest tickets on stub hub are $72, all season long they were selling for around $15.

Today the CBJ locked up Atkinson and Calvert both are 23 for 2 year extensions. With 3 first round picks and D Ryan Murray for next season the CBJ are about to break out of this funk permanently IMO!!!

Frenchy #780789 04/27/13 09:25 AM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'm geeked for tonight. Detroit's best players have been playing their best (Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen), and Howard's been doing well. I'm in the hospital getting my asthma under control, but I've got a flat screen that gets Fox Sports Detroit in my room. I'd really like to see CBJ and Detroit both get in.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780790 04/27/13 09:50 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm soo amped up for tonight. I considered getting tickets a month ago and now I'm missing out. I got a friend going down to the game at nationwide tonight. The place is going to be a madhouse.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, the Wings are in. They did what they had to....win their last 4. The streak is alive!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Things are looking good for the Wings! They may not get very far, but I'm glad to see them make it in (despite being in a bit of a rebuilding mode)

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
They've got some momentum going. The score could easily have been 8-0. It looked like they were on the power play all night.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780794 04/27/13 10:12 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
j/c

Proud of the Jackets, sad they didn't get in.

Whoever plays the Kings, I hope that they beat the hell out of them and also that someone breaks Jeff Carter's jaw.

Schmucks.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
At least we got a 1st and Jack Johnson for that man child.

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Quote:

j/c

Proud of the Jackets, sad they didn't get in.

Whoever plays the Kings, I hope that they beat the hell out of them and also that someone breaks Jeff Carter's jaw.

Schmucks.

Jeff Carter...

The Jackets brought him in last year to contribute along with Rick Nash (Boy, this is ancient history now, huh?) and he never got going. He got injured and then was traded to the Kings.. who won the Stanley Cup with him on the roster. Gee, why couldn't Jeff be productive when he was with the CBJ?

Anyway, I do feel bad that the Blue Jackets didn't make it to the Playoffs this year, finishing in 9th place. However, they exceeded my expectations and they've definitely improved as a team, and not as a group of one superstar + a bunch of scrubs. I see plenty of moral victories for the Blue Jackets this year.

S
Legend
Legend
S
EAST

(1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (8) New York Islanders

I like how the young guys of the Islanders have played this year, but no way in hell Evgeni Nabakov is beating that squad in Pittsburgh. Can I also say that if the Isles end up moving to Brooklyn that is a HORRIBLE move? Part of the beauty of the Islanders and their history is them being on the outside as far as NY sports go. They kinda have had their own little thing going in Long Island. Bad move. Pens in 5.

(2) Montreal Canadiens vs. (7) Ottawa Senators

I could see an upset here. Ottawa is sneaky good, and has a great goalie. Someone asked me who I thought the best goalie in the NHL was a few weeks ago. I said I'd take Carey Price over anybody, just based on technique. I'll roll with him and Montreal, but barely, 7 games.

(3) Washington Capitals vs. (6) New York Rangers

Throw out the seed numbers, they're only a point apart, and the Caps play in the worst division in the league. The Rangers have been a disappointment all year, but I think they have enough of a veteran presence in that dressing room to win this series, but I think it's going to be an all-out battle. If Holtby gets hot like he did last year against Boston I'll look dumb, but I will take the Rangers in 7.

(4) Boston Bruins vs. (5) Toronto Maple Leafs

This is probably my favorite series of the first round. Toronto is finally back in the playoffs. They're the whipping boy of the NHL. The butt of all jokes. I may regret this, but I smell a mammoth upset here. I'm taking the Leafs in 6 games. These teams are both well coached, and I think Toronto has the edge in goaltending. Nazeem Kadri is one of the best young players in the league. I hope this series gets good air time in the states.

WEST

(1) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (2) Minnesota Wild

These teams have played pretty even all year, so I think despite the huge difference in point totals, it will be competitive, but I see the Hawks edging out every game but one. Blackhawks in 5. Rumor is Kane is bringing back the mullet. Hasn't done so since 2010, the cup year.

(2) Anaheim Ducks vs. (7) Detroit Red Wings

Anaheim in 6. They are too big and physical and I think they're really going to push Detroit around in this series. I love the Ducks' goaltending depth. Not a huge fan of their coach, but I think they will be ok here.

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) San Jose Sharks

This is probably the toughest series to really predict, because I don't really know what to expect here. The Canucks go in with no expectations and I think that plays in their favor. Luongo gets the job by default because of injury. Normally I don't really factor in home ice because I think it's usually a non-issue, but starting off at home should benefit Vancouver, I will say Canucks in 6.

(4) St. Louis Blues vs. (5) Los Angeles Kings

LA just needs Quick to get hot. I think they plow through St. Louis who looks worse than they did last year. They also don't really know who their starting goalie is. Kings in 5.

Pittsburgh ov. NY Rangers
Montreal ov. Toronto
Pittsburgh ov. Montreal

Chicago ov. LA
Anaheim ov. Vancouver
Chicago ov. Anaheim

Pittsburgh ov. Chicago

I know I picked a lot of chalk but I think with how this year turned out, it really seems like a top heavy tournament. I really want Pittsburgh/Chicago. Talk about firepower.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm pumped for the playoffs! There are some really good series. I pretty much agree with your take on Round 1 except the following:

Wings-Ducks. I'm not going to guarantee it or anything, but I think the Wings will beat the Ducks. Being the 7th seed makes all the difference in the world for them in Round 1. The Wings took the season series 2-1 (including two in Anaheim) and are coming into the playoffs playing their best hockey of the season. This should be a really good playoff series. Wings in 7.

I'm with you on the Bruins-Leafs series in that I can't wait to watch it! Based on how they've played one another throughout the year, this one is going to be close. I think Boston will eke it out in 7, however.

Game on!!

-- Mark Twain [/color]
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'm looking forward to the Wings/Ducks series. Those two teams really get under each other's skin, and I've really grown to dislike Perry/Getzlaf over the years. Lots of changes since their last playoff meeting, though.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Boston is a team built for the playoffs. The scoring is spread around, their forwards defend as well as any in the league. They cash in on the opponents' mistakes, and surprisingly, they actually do ok playing from behind, which is surprising considering they are more defense-oriented. I just worry about the goaltending. I don't trust Tukka Rask yet, and we know nothing of Khudobin.

jfanent #780801 04/29/13 02:35 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'm looking forward to the Wings/Ducks series. Those two teams really get under each other's skin, and I've really grown to dislike Perry/Getzlaf over the years. Lots of changes since their last playoff meeting, though.

I love Corey Perry just cause he can do that crazy stick waving move (which has zero bearing in a real game). Getzlaf has one of the most punchable faces in the NHL though.

I just love that starting tomorrow night, I can flip on the tv and get wall to wall intense hockey games. Nothing beats the NHL playoffs. They have the best postseason there is.

jfanent #780802 05/01/13 10:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Last night made me a bit nervous.

Crawford gets up a weak goal early, Backstrom's replacement is having an incredible night* and the visions of the previous two 1st round exits are floating around in my head....and then BAM, Oduya's bank pass off the boards, simple feed from Stalberg to Bickell and it's time to go home happy.

*Josh Harding's night was something out of a Hollywood movie, except the ending. This is the guy that was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis last summer and hadn't started a game since Jan 30th. Backstrom looked like he pulled something in warmups and then Harding gets the nod. As much as I wanted the Blackhawks to win, I wanted it to be on a crazy empty net goal on a delayed penalty....anything that would keep this guy away from making the mistake to end the game. As it turns out, I don't think you can fault him for giving up the game winner. Probably should have had it, but it was a great setup and shot.

I fell asleep watching the Ducks and Wings, I think I saw Selänne score in the 3rd (hard to tell since I think I heard replays in my dreams all night with the TV on). Man, that dude is old (and still really good). He's 42 by the way.

Great opening night, looking forward to the saturation of NHL playoff games over the coming weeks.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Harding was solid, but I don't think he was standing on his head or anything. The Wild did a good job of keeping the chances away from the slot. Everything was on the boards. They played great defense, they just couldn't cash in on their chances, which were only a few. I actually thought Crawford played better, even though he didn't face as many shots. Minnesota had much more space in their offensive zone.

Oduya's pass to set up the goal was a thing of beauty. That's why those guys get paid. That is a major league move. A few inches up and it's a penalty, a few inches to the right, and it could have taken a bad angle and stayed in the zone, a few inches further and it's icing. Big time pass. Bickell has become one of my favorite Hawk players. I tend to like the grinders. Plus he and his wife are advocates for pit bulls which is awesome.

Legend
Legend
Bickell's reaction was the best. It was a mix of "did that just happen?" and "you're damn straight I just did that!".

Rooting for the Islanders, Leafs and Sharks tonight. The home teams will probably be 3-0 though.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah, I'm gonna try and get a stream of the Leafs game, since they aren't televising it. I understand what the NHL is doing, I just think that series (BOS/TOR) will be better than this Islanders/Penguins one. I'm not going to argue against the league's most popular player versus a non-USA market, but I just hate that they can't find a sister station to broadcast it (kinda like they do with the NCAA tournament)

Illegal pirate feed it is.

jfanent #780806 05/01/13 04:22 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Quote:

Who was that.....he had a Leaf avatar, didn't he? (or was that you.) I don't see how anyone can root against Toronto. A Leafs/Habs playoff series is just what the league needs right now. Good Luck!

There was a yuounger guy (probably about 25 at the time) and he was a Leafs fan. Damn if I can remember his username but we used to go back and forth sometimes about the Leaf.s IIRC, he had a young daughter (who'd be about 10 now, or so).
and I think there was a poster named Connecticutt Dog who was a Leafs and Jays fan...

On to the playoffs:
Boston was a team I did NOT want to face in the first round. they've had our number, & they've got plenty of playoff experience. That said, they haven't been playing well of late. If we can get a split in Beantown I'd be happy to take it back to Toronto tied at 1-1.

I'll say Boston in 6, hope I;m wrong. I'm quite geeked up for tonight's opener. First time for Leafs in the playoffs in nine freaking years! Can't wait...

I also see Montreal; beating Ottawa in seven, Pens over Isles in six; Washington over N.Y. in six.

Out west, even before Tuesday's playoff openers I had Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit to win their respective series, and I think Vancouver will put out San Jose.

The teams I dislike out west are Anaheim, L.A. and Vancouver.
Good luck to our teams!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Ugh... a couple of crappy games tonight. Won't be awake for the late game. Hopefully, tomorrow's games will as good as last night's.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Good lord, this Canucks/Sharks game is brutal.

I know it is the playoffs, but the refs need to start calling some more penalties and get this thing under control before someone gets a concussion from all the boarding going on.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Can they just end that Isles/Pens series now? What a waste. The Eastern Conference is really bad this year.

For as bad as Toronto looked yesterday, I still feel like they can steal the next one, which is all they need going back to Toronto. Not feeling great about my pick though, lol.

The Western games have been nothing short of fantastic though. Exciting hockey.

jfanent #780810 05/03/13 08:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Sidney Crosby is a "hockey player". First game back from a wicked jaw injury/surgery and only has 2 goals in the 1st period.

Meanwhile, Derrick Rose is not. With most of the team limping or puking and still playing, he's sitting out because he's missing the "muscle memory" that he's used to having. Have you ever heard a professional athlete use that excuse in your life? So, he's well enough to play physically (according to the team doctors) and he's past 90% mentally (according to his brother) but he's not comfortable playing through the rust of skipping a year off so he's refusing to play. MVP my butt.

Crosby even said this morning, he's not where he needs to be, but he'll shake off the dust on the ice. What exactly has Rose been doing since Jan, when he returned to full Bulls practice? I guess playing basketball against your team doesn't help getting the muscle memory back.

[Linked Image]

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The gap between the NHL and the NBA in regards to accountability to the team is astounding. That's why I love hockey. Get some teeth knocked out, need a dozen stitches? A hockey player might miss a couple shifts or be back in the next period. An NBA player will miss multiple games for far less. What Rose is doing is downright disgusting.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780812 05/03/13 08:38 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

An NBA player will miss multiple games for far less. What Rose is doing is downright disgusting.

I can't really say that.

If someone's more concerned with their long-term career than they are about winning, that's not really the kind of athlete I want on my team necessarily, but it's entirely understandable.

What I don't like is his constant updates to anyone who will listen. Come back when you're ready, until then pipe down.

PDR #780813 05/03/13 09:03 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Yup, I called that was soon as they tried to make his rehab into an ad campaign (The Return)

It was a bad idea.

The thing about Rose is, they should have just said he was done for the year, back at the beginning of the season. I don't really expect much from a player, in any sport, who hasn't played a single season game to just all of a sudden be a factor in the playoffs. I think that's unrealistic, and fans are getting mad because someone keeps spoon feeding them bits about how he's close.

There is a rumor around here that the team is actually choosing to hold him out, because his salary is insured, and if he plays a game, that all goes out the window. I don't know about all that, but that is just something that was said in the locker room at my game the other night.

Hockey players are tough. It doesn't sit well in the locker room when you aren't. The Derrick Rose thing wouldn't either. Not because he is or isn't ready, but because he brought attention to himself by turning his rehab program into some gimmick. Nobody would question an ACL if he didn't do that. Maybe Adidas is to blame too.

Legend
Legend
I've been saying that for months. The Bulls FO should have copied the Nationals from last year with how they handled Strasburg. "Derrick doesn't appear to be ready in time to play this year. So we are officially ruling him out for the rest of the season. It's our decision, not Derrick's." And then tell Derrick to shut his mouth to the media (and keep his brother quiet). And if he ever wanted to play, say you made a mistake or Derrick wouldn't give up. Win, win.

However, they've done the opposite. The Bulls kept giving day-to-day status updates, Derrick was giving percentages and then backing away, is only going to return when he's 110% healthy, saying only God knows if he'll play, describes good 5-on-5 scrimmages but more day-to-day updates, the Bulls announce the doctors clearance to play in real games, he says it's not his knee but now his back, then his brother says it's only the mental issues keeping him out and now the most recent, missing "muscle memory". They all dug this hole and it just looks bad.

Yes, the ad campaign didn't help. He was coming back no matter what.....well, until he feels a little rusty. Wimp.

And you're probably right. Maybe this is all about insurance money. If they ruled him out, they miss part of it...or if he played it's not covered. Who knows the real story. I think we'll eventually find out when the players from this team leave and start talking anonymously to the media.

Anyway, great finish for the Islanders. Those were some dirty goals they scored. But they don't mark them on the scoreboard if they are only pretty ones, just if they go in. My buddy tweeted that the official hashtag for the series is #penislanders. LOL

Hawks up early, hopes it turns into a blowout.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

And you're probably right. Maybe this is all about insurance money. If they ruled him out, they miss part of it...or if he played it's not covered. Who knows the real story. I think we'll eventually find out when the players from this team leave and start talking anonymously to the media.

Just for the record that is only something I heard from some guys I play hockey with. I give that slightly more credibility than the Cowher-Strongsville house rumors.

I should have sold my signed Rose autograph card last year, lol

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
OK...once the Wings are eliminated, here are two reasons I'm pulling for Montreal.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780817 05/06/13 12:17 AM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I can't root for the Habs after that embarrassment of a game tonight. They should be ashamed of themselves, and Bourke and Gallagher ought to be suspended. Subban maybe also should be suspended, but he didn't start his fight, although I am pretty sure ground and pound is illegal in hockey.

Last edited by 4thandPunt; 05/06/13 12:18 AM.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
jc Man, this Wings/Ducks series is something. 4 of the 6 games go to OT....going to game 7 in Anaheim. I don't see either of these teams winning the next series....too many defensive breakdowns and giveaways in the defensive zones. It makes for exciting hockey, though. The Wings sure miss Lidstrom's leadership out there. Howard's been playing out of his mind, and the big guns finally came through. Zetterberg and Datsyuk combined for 5 points tonight.

It was also cool to see the Leafs win and extend the series.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780819 05/13/13 09:06 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Pretty good series between Anaheim and Detroit. Unbelievable how even that whole series was and you could argue the whole thing was decided by a bad pass in the neutral zone that Abdelkader buried.

I'm excited for 2 awesome game 7's tonight. I really wish the schedulers would have found a way to not have them overlap by an hour though.

Sounds like we know pretty much all the matchups for round 2.

Pittsburgh/Ottawa
New York or Washington vs Toronto or Boston

Chicago/Detroit
LA/San Jose

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NHL Playoff Run

Link Copied to Clipboard