Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Legend
Legend
E
Keep in mind there are different types of Tears (Ruptures) of the Achilles Tendon...complete? Lower or Higher...Lower it balls up - Higher it remains in place n doesn't have that rubber band effect. Also when did the kid have the injury...we examined him medically to see how the injury was healing n seemed pleased.

But again...NO RISK, this team will not be held back by missing a 6th round pick that does not become a starter. Key to our draft will be Mingo n McFadden - The rest are bonus babies if they can 1st make our roster - best chance is Special Teams - Progress as prospects to compete for depth and/or Starting positions. All Bonus.

Obviously the kid was this late in the draft due to the Injury...it heals we got a real good football player as opposed to most late rounds kids.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The main concern for me here is that we don't know what player we're getting. History shows that players coming back from a torn achilles are not the same guy they were before the injury. Is he even going to play this season?

I understand your concern. We just have to trust the medical team cleared him enough to make us feel any risk was outweighed by the potential reward.

You weigh the risk and make a call. Now we can all cross our fingers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

we examined him medically to see how the injury was healing n seemed pleased.

But did we? Slaughter's conference call says he had no contact with the Browns before the draft and expected to go undrafted because of his injury. *(then later he said he was called by the browns about two weeks before the draft.)

He also said he can run/sprint and "do back drills" but is still working to "get {his} power and explosion back." In the study that I linked (and that jf had previously posted here) that's what rarely returns to pre-injury levels.

I'm pulling for the guy, but my expectations are tempered.

*edit - He was a combine invitee, so maybe the doctors there were able to provide a report on him*

Last edited by clevesteve; 04/30/13 10:23 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
A bit of a concern no doubt.

I don't know how it works, but could it be we did review his medical history without having contact with him?

It's my understand the meds are out there for teams to review. It's not like the player is packing them under his arm when he shows up for an interview.

Or is it?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It was my understanding that when you have a player in for a visit, if there is a medical question your doctors will check him out.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Key there clevesteve was he was a combine invitee. The testing is done there maybe one of the biggest keys of the combine. So that 32 teams don't go through the testing needed its done at one venue.

Report... welcome to the 21st century...every thing is put on a disc n passed on to teams - MRI's among several tests. We put that disc in a computer n let our Doctors make their own in depth report on the injury. We don't need to bring him here n take our own MRI's which will tell them most of what they need to do.

Understand its a tough injury. He's young, Medical advancements. I remember when Microfracture surgery was a 100% career ending procedure...then after 5-10years the success rate was 180 degrees in the results. Junior Miller days are over 10 years ago.

But as mentioned...6th round is not much of a risk. really hope the kid makes it

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sure. I understand that.

It is my understand the meds are made available to all the teams who wish to see them. If our Doc's reviewed the findings by the Doc's who preformed the surgery, etc, and are comfortable with the finding, maybe we decided not to tip the pick by bringing him in....

I guess we'll find out in a couple of months. If he ends up on the PUP, we'll know he wasn't ready.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
J/C

Its all about risk vrs reward, the risk is minimal 6th round the reward could be a versatile player. You look for your special teams studs in the 6th and 7th round or you take that chance on a player who dropped in rounds due to injury.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C

Its all about risk vrs reward, the risk is minimal 6th round the reward could be a versatile player. You look for your special teams studs in the 6th and 7th round or you take that chance on a player who dropped in rounds due to injury..

This.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

J/C

Its all about risk vrs reward, the risk is minimal 6th round the reward could be a versatile player. You look for your special teams studs in the 6th and 7th round or you take that chance on a player who dropped in rounds due to injury.

+1
He was good when he was healthy. If he comes back from this we got a steal. You have to gamble from time to time to get good.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
LINK

Jamoris Slaughter dealing well with recovery from Achilles injury; plans to deliver big hits for Cleveland Browns

By Ryan Lewis
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: May 2, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Jamoris Slaughter was dealt a bad hand in 2012.

Notre Dame went on a historical run — 12-0 in the regular season, one of the best years for the Irish in quite some time — and earned a chance to play in the BCS National Championship Game.

But Slaughter, Notre Dame’s free safety and a sixth-round pick of the Browns in last week’s NFL Draft, missed almost all of it after tearing his Achilles’ tendon in the third game of the season.

“It was tough to deal with just for the simple fact that we were coming back to glory,” Slaughter said. “I kind of felt like I wasn’t a part of it even though I was. But deep down I want to be out on the field every play with my teammates. It was a humbling process. It taught me a lot about myself.”

Slaughter’s coaches learned a thing or two about him through that time, too. Chuck Martin, who was Slaughter’s position coach at Notre Dame before moving to the offensive side of the ball prior to the 2012 season, admired how he dealt with being delivered such a tough circumstance.

“He’s such a first-class individual,” Martin said. “He was such a major part of our team coming off such an unbelievable junior year. He just went down with a freak injury. It’s how his mother raised him, to be such a positive kid. He saw it as a bump in the road and he’d come back stronger. He kept leading. He’s a pretty amazing leader.”

Bob Elliot was the safeties coach last season, his first with Notre Dame.

“It was really tough for him but he handled it like a champion,” Elliot said. “Jamoris was in every meeting, he watched every bit of film, he was at every practice. That’s a hard thing to do. He’s so mature and so far beyond his years.”

Slaughter and his coaches all admitted to being a little relieved that he was drafted at all, finally taken by the Browns in the sixth round with the No. 175 overall selection. Although he might have carried a grade before the draft warranting a late second day or early third-day selection, recovering from such a major injury might have left him off of teams’ draft boards altogether.

Slaughter says his rehab is coming along fine.

“I’m about 90 percent right now,” he said in a conference call with reporters on Saturday. “I’m able to do sprinting and cutting and I’ve been doing back drills. ... The main thing for me now is getting my power and explosion back.”

That explosiveness, when Slaughter’s been healthy, might be his best attribute. Known to have a knack for the big hit, Slaughter carries himself like a sledgehammer from his free safety spot.

“He’s a bundle of explosiveness and loves contact,” Martin said. “In his recruitment out of high school, he was ferocious. ... But he’s a solid tackler. He wasn’t trying to carelessly knock people out. The big hits came when he had them lined up and he could unload on them. I’ve been around all-or-nothing guys, that’s not him.”

Slaughter’s had a reputation for knocking people senseless for a long time, to the point that his name fits his playing style pretty precisely.

“I think it started when I started playing park ball, when I was in the little leagues,” he said. “I was always the skinny kid and I was just known for being a skinny kid that could hit. I was always like the first person to knock the quarterback’s helmet off in the 90-pound league and I kind of got that reputation when I was young.

“I think I just have a laid-back, cool, collective side to me. But on the field, it’s kind of like I can be my alter ego and be another person and I just kind of feel like a warrior out on the field.”

Slaughter figures to play free safety for the Browns opposite strong safety T.J. Ward. Should he be healthy enough, he has a chance to compete for a starting spot with Tashaun Gipson but will probably get more time on special teams early in the season.

At Notre Dame, he served in a couple of different capacities. Slaughter often started at safety, but at times moved down almost as a nickel cornerback to cover slot receivers 1-on-1. He also played some snaps at what was a cross between a defensive back and an outside linebacker position.

Although Slaughter had the body and athleticism to make such a transition, it was his football intelligence that really allowed him to be moved around.

“He’s really cerebral, really smart,” Martin said. “The game came very easily to him mentally. A lot of guys have the athleticism to play different spots. But usually they play worse because they’re worrying about one or the other. Jamoris, it didn’t matter where we put him. He could bounce around and still play at a high level.”

Elliot compared Slaughter’s football IQ to that of Harrison Smith, a first-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings in last year’s draft.

“He’s as smart as can be, like Harrison Smith was,” Elliot said. “He can control the secondary and make adjustments on the run. That position requires a lot of checks to be made.”

Tearing an Achilles’ tendon isn’t an adjustment Slaughter, or anyone, was able to make. That one, he had to wait out, and it cost him a chance at a BCS title run. Should his history indicate anything, it’s that he’ll figure out a way to overcome it. And then hammer a receiver across the middle.

Rookie
Rookie
Nice read, thanks.

Really hope he can come back 100%

This would be great for us if he can.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I really believe that if this kid returns to form, he can be the FS we have lacked for years He is a big hitter but tackles well. He also can cover. Plus he is not 5'9''.

He could end up being a real steal in the 6th round. Imagine having two safeties that love to lower the boom. I think i'm drooling

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I haven't frequented this thread that much.

Who would be our free safety should Slaughter not be ready . . . ?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I haven't frequented this thread that much.

Who would be our free safety should Slaughter not be ready . . . ?

GIPSON ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Probably second year player, Tashaun Gipson.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I believe Hagg is still here too. I wouldn't toss him away quite yet.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ya know, I wanted to say something similar myself. But didn't feel like enduring a bunch of dismissive replies about Hagg deserving to be cut or what have you. I think he'll play better this year. Actually, when I look at some DVR'd games I've saved he looked better after losing the starting job and just coming in as a situational player.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah but most judge him from seeing him get beat deep in one game and the mantra started that he sucks. Many who discard him wanted us to get a FA DB with about the same experience and results,only to claim that all DBs struggle their rookie years and make a big jump after that.........well except any first year DB on the Browns.

I think guys like Hagg and Wade will make a jump, as will guys like Bademosi. No one knows at this point, but I have to believe that the staff saw something in their play.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Spaking of tape, here's his 2011 game vs FSU and EJ Manuel and 2012 game vs Purdue

http://www.youtube.com/v/NY20FZgQSks

http://www.youtube.com/v/laILCebyWMI

My take:

Positives:

- versatile. Lined up everywhere: deep FS, in the slot and at the LOS as an OLB
- good blitzer. he was a freelancer at ND and he blitzed often, sounds like a good fit in Horton's scheme
- smart player, reading the QBs eyes. Very impressed with one play in the FSU game where he blitzed up the middle, realized that it's blocked and then turned around to cover a player underneath
- in the 2012 game he was lined up deep more often than 2011

Negatives:

- not a sound tackler. More of a "launcher" than secure wrap up tackler. Will get him injured
- struggles with COD in man coverage, but that's the norm with S

Overall I liked what I saw and his tape was as good if not better than some of those mid round S

Agree with you.

I hope we just "red shirt" him and allow him to recover and understand the system. Getting a versatile depth guy that plays special teams is all you can ask for.

B
Legend
Legend
B
A boom or bust 6th rounder. What's better than that? Those are exactly the guys I want to select in the 6th and 7th rounds.

If you can pull a solid starter out of those rounds every 4-5 years, you are doing a great job IMO.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
What I like Peen is it all depends on his injury healing "ALL" meaning Boom or Bust. All medical reports have that being so. I have never heard he won't be ready for camp just that he will contribute early on for Special Teams n hopes to win the FS position later.

Gipson is the penciled in starter...I was very impressed n he was a UDFA when he got his opportunities last season.

guarddog - Hagg looked to me as a very slow player in his early starts. I thought he was done....when he did come back n contributed with opportunities late in the season I was shocked how fast he played...comfort is such a big thing for these young players knowing their trade rather than learning their trade. Big difference on the field.

The more I learn of this kid...w/o his injury he might have even snuck into the first round??? it heals 100% we got a steal...bought time things start to fall our way...odd n percentages are way in our favor

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
First impressions are hard for fans to shake, E.Ryze. look at the prevailing opinion on Hardesty.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I watched an early season ND game in 2011. I believe it Purdue. This game stuck out simply on Slaughter's play. The kid was all over the place. As many have stated, I believe this kid has a huge upside.

The thing that intrigues me most is he is known as a thumper! Him and Ward can make life miserable for receivers coming over the middle. Hopefully Slaughter does not lose much speed. Otherwise, this group of DB's McFadden, Hayden, Ward, and Slaughter can be a real interesting bunch. Adding Skrine in the slot is a lot of speed in the secondary.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The thing that just leaps out with slaughter is how effective he is at changing his direction due to sensational hips and body control. Similar to Robertson, he is credited with many missed tackles that honestly, he should not have been involved in.

He was often coming at a bad angle and it was a terrific job just to get in on the play. Now I would prefer he learned to wrap and roll instead of the constant dipping the shoulder trying to land the big hit. Frankly tackling is a lost art.

I would never draft or sign a player with an Achilles injury but I can understand their decision to do so. No real risk but some big reward with a 6th rounder that probably would have been a borderline late first to mid 2nd type player.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

First impressions are hard for fans to shake, E.Ryze. look at the prevailing opinion on Hardesty.

I have to say, I think Hardesty is going to be a good player.He showed that last year. If he doesn't stick here, I think he could bring a nice trade in the future. But, if I had my way, he and Trent make a killer backfield.

#gmstrong
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I'm hoping this dude comes on strong. The only safety we've had since the Browns came back that could be called a 'ball hawk' was Earl Little and that was like one good season he had, plus he couldn't tackle a straw man. In a division featuring Troy Palamalu and Ed Reed, it's been difficult seeing the crap we've thrown out there the last decade plus. Safety is by far the position I'm most concerned with, nothing but UDFA, 6th and 7th rounders competing for that spot at free safety. Yuck!

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I would have much rather taken a risk on somebody with off-field issues, like Bacarri Rambo! Taking someone like that is much less of a risk than taking someone who may never physically be the same player because of injury.

Not to mention Rambo was a much better player to begin with. Nobody even knew who this Slaughter dude was. But from what I hear he was a decent player for fingers are crossed!

And can you imagine drafting Barkevious Mingo and Bacarri Rambo! The all-name team draft.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The ND I go to was just like this one with their opinions about Slaughter .... some thought he wasn't very good at all and others thought he should be a late 1st or early 2nd rounder ...

Personally I didn't think he would get drafted BUT if he did get drafted he would have to be in a system that takes advantage of his versatility cause that's the strongest part of his game ... and since that's how were going to use him ... it makes sense ...

personally I don't see him working out .... but I was one of the ones that didn't think he was all that ,..... most of that came from the fact he is a pee poor tackler .... and its not like our coaches didn't teach tackling and teach them well ... until the Bama game we were by far the most sound tackling football team I had seen at any level for the last decade ... were so fundamentally sound when it came to tackling technique .... everyone but Slaughter ... he went for the kill shot instead of the tackle almost every single time ...

hopefully he works out ... but my guess is we won't be a real good football team until he's relegated to a very very small role or not here at all ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... can you imagine drafting Barkevious Mingo and Bacarri Rambo!

B&B!!! Sounds like a drink to me....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

First signing;

Browns agreed to terms with No. 175 overall pick S Jamoris Slaughter on a four-year contract.
Slaughter missed his entire senior year with a torn Achilles' tendon, and is questionable for training camp. Although the Browns have a hole at free safety, Slaughter should be a strict special teamer as a rookie.

linker

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

First signing;

Browns agreed to terms with No. 175 overall pick S Jamoris Slaughter on a four-year contract.
Slaughter missed his entire senior year with a torn Achilles' tendon, and is questionable for training camp. Although the Browns have a hole at free safety, Slaughter should be a strict special teamer as a rookie.

linker

A four year deal seems long for a 6th rounder with an achilles injury. I will be interested to see the contract numbers. My guess is very little guaranteed, of course.

Hey, if he surprises us, we have him tied up longer than most 6th rounders, I guess.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/21/13 04:16 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I haven't stayed as up on the CBA as I used to, but I believe that 4 years is pretty much the standard for all rookie contracts these days.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
2012's pick 175, Blair Walsh (K) of the Minnesota Vikings signed a 4-year, $2.2 MM contract, with NFL minimum base salaries for each of the years of the deal and a $117,932 signing bonus, which represents all of the guaranteed money. Slaughter's deal is probably similar.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/blair-walsh/

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/21/13 04:41 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting. Admittedly, I am not up on it either so I'll take your word for it.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I wonder if teams are permitted to put different terms in the contract when it comes to players who are drafted/injured? I mean I realize there is injury risk with every player, but would the CBA allow that or does every contract need to be "standard"?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

2012's pick 175, Blair Walsh (K) of the Minnesota Vikings signed a 4-year, $2.2 MM contract, with NFL minimum base salaries for each of the years of the deal and a $117,932 signing bonus, which represents all of the guaranteed money. Slaughter's deal is probably similar.

I bet it will almost be identical. Thanks for the info.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Darn. An opportunity lost to bash the FO.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Jamoris Slaughter

Blair Walsh

The question is whether Jamoris Slaughter can be a Pro Bowler like Walsh was.

Legend
Legend
Hehehe, let's see if he can make the roster first.. then he needs to actually secure a starting job and hold onto it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #175 : Jamoris Slaughter, S, ND

Link Copied to Clipboard