Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

We must really like Gordon a lot to be drafting a dealer for him

7th round. Worth the risk, I guess.

And I am not really sure it was at practice. It said in the parking lot. I thought at first he was on the sidelines during practice and sold it. LOL

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Some people are being really short-sided.

This guy probably won't even play this year. He's purely a developmental player. The Browns probably drafted him in hopes of having him make a contribution in a year or two. That's usually what the very late rounds are for.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The NFL is going to own the team next year, duh. They're going to cut everyone.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Checkout the footwork of the RT at 1:24 mark. Wow!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Checkout the footwork of the RT at 1:24 mark. Wow!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C. And yet many on this board wanted Honey Badger, who has no idea how many drug tests he failed because he stopped counting at 10.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/c... You guys realize this isn't an out-of-left-field pick, right? He was at the combine.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
We gotta get that guy

Legend
Legend
Quote:

we dont even need another DE.....

You never have enough pass rushers.

Do you know how many LB the Steelers drafted in the 3 drafts prior to this year?

Pass rushers are gold in this system, and churning them through your system year after year is the way to ensure that you always have guys to create the pass rush.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Man, he gets off the line like he was shot out of a cannon.

He blows by Tackles (granted, lower level Tackles) like they weren't even there.

Indeed. He did what he is supposed to do against lesser competition. It's like the minor leagues in baseball. The player dominates at one level, he goes to the next, and so on.

A flyer pick. I like it. I'd rather take a guy like this then a guy who played OK at a major college. That adds up to a middle of the road special teamer most of the time.

This guy might flop out or he might show, much like Fisher did, that he can play on any level.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Selling $20 bags is a felony?

Jeez, Texas does not like marijuana, eh?

He was in Ada OK when arrested, not Texas.

In Texas, he'd be on death row.

Legend
Legend
We are already loaded on the DL I would have rather seen a real FB drafted here.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

We are already loaded on the DL I would have rather seen a real FB drafted here.

We can make that guy the fullback. I'll bet he can block and can catch a ball.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
He was also clearly the best player on the field at the Texas vs the nation game which featured mostly FBS talent.

Legend
Legend
At least better than Owen can lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

At least better than Owen can lol

No doubt that guy sucks. Unless he finds something real quick, I don't see how he makes the team.

My hope is Smelly has worked hard, added 5-10 lbs and becomes the lead blocker when we run a fullback formation.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Does this offense even really care about the FB catching the ball?
I seem to recall that it was this offense that made us huge fans of Terrelle Smith and Lawrence Vickers because of the way they could brutally blow people up, but we almost never asked them to catch the ball.

Or, am I getting my players/seasons mixed up again?

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 04/28/13 09:42 AM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

huge vans

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

Not really concerned with his past considering he's a 7th rounder. low risk, high reward.

Call me crazy, and I know people project him as a OLB, but I wouldn't be surprised if they asked this guy to put on some weight and try playing as a 3-4DE. He seems very comfortable with his hands on the ground.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

huge vans

Sorry, couldn't resist.

lol!

Fixed my post

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think we would have liked if Vickers could catch the ball. One play sticks in my mind from 2010: 3rd down in the shadow of our our goal-line, McCoy flips a little flat pass out to Vickers, who has nothing but grass in front of him for 50 yards ... DOINK. It could have been a game-changer, but instead it was punt situation from deep in our own territory.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Does this offense even really care about the FB catching the ball?
I seem to recall that it was this offense that made us huge fans of Terrelle Smith and Lawrence Vickers because of the way they could brutally blow people up, but we almost never asked them to catch the ball.

Or, am I getting my players/seasons mixed up again?

I don't think you are. All the more reason to not worry about a "true" fullback and put a quick "true" guard in the position if blocking is the desired result.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

JC

Not really concerned with his past considering he's a 7th rounder. low risk, high reward.

Call me crazy, and I know people project him as a OLB, but I wouldn't be surprised if they asked this guy to put on some weight and try playing as a 3-4DE. He seems very comfortable with his hands on the ground.

Reminds me of the Alex Hall selection 5 years ago. Another 7th Rounder. Showed flashes. One skill set.

Legend
Legend
I think that we could see the Browns keep a FB and run more of a traditional RB/FB set .... or run more 2 TE set. After all, we did load up on blocking TE this off-season. Maybe they see the FB or extra TE as interchangeable entities ...... if you have one of each, great .... but if you carry an extra "blocking" TE in lieu of a FB, that's fine too.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think this group wants playmakers on the field. Put the other team in a nickel a lot of the time, with Cameron being a TE who will be able to run a defender out of a play if it is a run.

If the defender doesn't at least check him for a moment, play action is going to burn them in a big way.

I think Cameron is going to have a monster year. Pro-Bowl type year IMO, though politics might keep him out since some names are already established at the position.

You can look at Turner's history, and he seems to always have a high production TE. Add in Chud was a TE coach at one point, I think he favors the position as well. It all adds up to a breakout season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think we would have liked if Vickers could catch the ball. One play sticks in my mind from 2010: 3rd down in the shadow of our our goal-line, McCoy flips a little flat pass out to Vickers, who has nothing but grass in front of him for 50 yards ... DOINK. It could have been a game-changer, but instead it was punt situation from deep in our own territory.

I remember a play like that for the texans - 3rd and about 5 deep in Oakland territory and Schaub tried to hit him in the flat - wide open, no one near him and a clear lane to the end zone... Hit him in the chest as he turned his head to look up field... Texans had to kick a field goal - ended up losing by less than a td

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Turner has utilized fullbacks in a variety of ways. From Larry Centers (pass catching) to Lorenzo Neal (never even sniffed the ball) to Mike Tolbert (block, rush, catch). I think it depends who is on the team.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Turner forced Neal out. They only coexisted for one year (2007) before Norv made it clear that he wanted pass catchers in the backfield and guys who could run occasionally in short-yardage situations. Thus the drafting of Jacob Hester (who cost the Chargers a third round pick, a 2009 second round pick, and a 2009 fifth round pick!!!!!!) who had both of those attributes. Hester was the starting FB from 2008-2011. In 2012 he was replaced with Leron McClain, who again, can both catch balls out of the backfield and run in short-yardage situations. Tolbert was the backup at FB and RB from 2008-2009 and was converted to only playing RB in 2010, presumably because he can't block at all (look at the Panthers' decline in rushing stats this year lol).

Point being that Turner (in SD) had a very specific skillset he was looking for in fullbacks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I remember a play like that for the texans - 3rd and about 5 deep in Oakland territory and Schaub tried to hit him in the flat - wide open, no one near him and a clear lane to the end zone... Hit him in the chest as he turned his head to look up field... Texans had to kick a field goal - ended up losing by less than a td

This offense makes the FB a star. Moose is what they are looking for. Powerful lead blocker that can catch the gimmies.

V
Legend
Legend
V
FBs are readily available from a plethora of sources. Not too worried about acquiring one. The good news is that Hecket is gone and we won't have to watch another down of Marasic.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Armonty Bryant

Armonty Bryant, DE (6-foot-4 3/4, 259) - Bryant - who was at the NFL Scouting Combine - ran the 40-yard dash in 4.84 seconds against the wind and 4.69 seconds with the wind. He had a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.43 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.14 seconds. He also performed 15 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. At Tulsa's pro day, Bryant worked out as both a defensive lineman and an outside linebacker in a 3-4 base defense. He worked out good in the linebacker drills, and could be a seventh-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Man he's 260 and only did 15 reps? Better get this kid in the weight room. FAST.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Jared Allen did 13 reps at the combine.

Trust me, this guy has plenty of functional strength. If you want to see what this guy is about, get your hands on this year's Texas vs the nation game.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Quote:

Armonty Bryant

Armonty Bryant, DE (6-foot-4 3/4, 259) - Bryant - who was at the NFL Scouting Combine - ran the 40-yard dash in 4.84 seconds against the wind and 4.69 seconds with the wind. He had a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.43 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.14 seconds. He also performed 15 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. At Tulsa's pro day, Bryant worked out as both a defensive lineman and an outside linebacker in a 3-4 base defense. He worked out good in the linebacker drills, and could be a seventh-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Man he's 260 and only did 15 reps? Better get this kid in the weight room. FAST.

In his defense, he's got SUPER long arms....that a longer distance for the weight to travel than people with shorter arms for the bench press. People with longer arms usually struggle with that exercise. Its not really a valid test of pure strength anyways.

[Linked Image from s9.postimage.org]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Armonty Bryant

The kid has a pterodactyl wingspan. He's going to bulk up and play DE from what I've read.

Rookie
Rookie
An interesting review of Armonty Bryant from the National Football Post- Scouting Department...lists him as a possible 3 or 4th rounder. Also lists him as the 10th best DE coming out...

SUMMARY - Long athlete with sneaky quickness off the ball. Set ECU's all-time sack record. Can play standing up as an outside linebacker in 3-4 defense and also play defensive end in 4-3 scheme. Explosive off the ball with long stride. Plays with good leverage and can control the blocker with arms measuring over 35 inches. Has strong hands to stack and shed. Quick arm over move. Has very good speed and can close quickly to the football. Is a good athlete and looks natural in space. Can track and catch the ball carrier from behind. Has a knack for causing turnovers. Needs to get stronger in his upper body. Not a dominant tackler. Reaches for too many tackles instead of running through the ball carrier. Small school player who has huge upside. His natural pass rush skills will allow him to play as a rookie. With solid coaching, Bryant should be a starter by year 2 in the NFL. Overall, I expect some team to take a gamble on Bryant in the late 3rd or 4th round because players with natural pass rush skills and good athleticism are hard to find.

Link

[Linked Image from s9.postimage.org]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm ok with the gamble here, but still incredibly disappointed we didn't use this pick on sub 4.5 TE Gragg....I know it's "only" the 7th round, but considering our roster at the time of the pick I feel like Gragg was the better "risk" to take, as he has a much higher floor imho

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe so. That is some speed for a TE.

I have a feeling both Chud and Norv have reviewed the tape and have made the decision to let Cameron have a year in the spotlight.

I have a feeling a star is about to be born.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
I have no problem with giving Cameron the spotlight. My problem is not having a backup option if he shrinks in that spotlight or gets injured (and I don't think we have a good backup plan).

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I have no problem with giving Cameron the spotlight. My problem is not having a backup option if he shrinks in that spotlight or gets injured (and I don't think we have a good backup plan).

I can't remember the names of the guys we brought in, specifically the guy Chud had last year, but I doubt he brought him over because he is a swell guy.

My hope is he brought him over because he sees talent and is a guy we can plug in and not lose a tremendous amout.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
we signed Gary Barnidge and Kellen Davis in FA. maybe Barnidge has more upside than I am giving him credit for having, but it just seems to be a ton of "?"

again, Chud/Norv have always had good TE's, so I do have some trust with them, it's just that I can also see it going wrong (same situation with Horton and the DBs. he has always done his best work with secondaries, but the lack of depth in ours makes me worry some).

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #217: Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central (OK)

Link Copied to Clipboard