Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Legend
Legend
B
Well Bubba, a lot of things can go wrong. This is the Browns we are talking about, right?

In the end we are only going to keep 3 TE's, and we just signed those guys. I doubt they were going to cut the guys they just signed to keep a 7th round TE.

At least that's the way I have it figured.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns notebook: A sympathetic Brown

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer

Why did the Browns take a chance on Armonty Bryant, an East Central Oklahoma defensive end who was arrested for selling marijuana last fall?

Rob Chudzinski explained:

“Through the course of looking into his background with Coach (Joe) Cullen, as well as our scouting staff, we felt like he is past the mistakes that he has made and ready to move on. He has matured.”

Cullen, the Browns’ new defensive line coach, might be more inclined to give a player a second chance than most.

In 2006, when he was a coach with the Lions, he was arrested twice during the preseason, once for indecent conduct, once for drunk driving.

Cullen flew to Oklahoma to give Bryant a private workout.

“We got to know him a little bit better than the cursory glance at a guy,” Chudzinski said. “He’s an explosive, speed-off-the edge, good-sized defensive end who can apply pressure to the quarterback. He’d be that type of player in our scheme.”

DEEP-SPACE ISSUE

It’s asking a lot for a rookie sixth-round pick who hasn’t completely recovered from Achilles surgery to compete for the No. 1 free safety job.

At the moment, though, Jamoris Slaughter is in the mix with 2011 Round 7 pick Eric Hagg and 2011 undrafted rookie Tashaun Gipson. Hagg won the starting job last summer but was benched early in the season. Gipson became a favorite of the previous regime.

Slaughter, from Notre Dame, blew out an Achilles in his third game last September.

“We felt good looking at his film from the year before,” head coach Rob Chudzinski said. “It’s still going to take a little time in him getting back into it, but we saw a player who was extremely productive and very versatile. He played on the slot, covered man to man, blitzed and played back deep.”

Banner thinks Slaughter can be “much more than you would get in the sixth round ... our medical staff was very optimistic about the (Achilles).”

HASLAM IN THE HOUSE

Jimmy Haslam broke free from his trouble at Pilot Flying J to take a seat in the draft room Thursday through Saturday.

Haslam never visited the makeshift media area near the end zone of the indoor practice field.

Joe Banner on Haslam’s role:

“He’s actively involved in his way. He holds everybody to a high standard. He asks a lot of very good, very smart questions that are good things to make sure we think through.

“He is a very positive energy and force to have around. Everyone feels like we have his support. He just uplifts, you’ve been around him, he up lifts the energy around him. He is just a very positive, happy guy.”

EXTRA POINTS

• Rob Chudzinski on guard-tackle Garrett Gilkey, a seventh-round pick out of NCAA Division II Chadron State:

“He went to the Senior Bowl and played very well against those guys. He has lined up against guys from Florida State, North Carolina and everywhere else and looked like he fit right in. Big guy, good size, really good feet, and can bend very well. It didn’t faze him one bit. He’s a tough guy and has the kind of attitude that we want.”

• Joe Banner didn’t give any clues on how Quentin Groves’ stock with the Browns might have dropped in the wake of his recent arrest in a prostitution sting:

“We’re aware of it, we’ve spoken to him. Chud has met with him extensively. There’s really nothing more to add to that.”

• This was Banner’s way of saying the Browns considered drafting a quarterback:

“Quarterback is an important position. We are always going to be open to looking at the position. We are always going to be evaluating everybody and every option there is to get stronger there. web page

Last edited by Mourgrym; 05/03/13 12:41 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Quote:

I
I think Cameron is going to have a monster year. Pro-Bowl type year IMO, though politics might keep him out since some names are already established at the position.

You can look at Turner's history, and he seems to always have a high production TE. Add in Chud was a TE coach at one point, I think he favors the position as well. It all adds up to a breakout season.

I agree Peen...I'm very interested to see how they use Cameron in this offense. I know last year, I read EO and a few others saying a rookie Qb's best friend is the TE and I def agree with that. I still can't believe they didn't use the TE that much last year. Hopefully that will be a big change with Norv

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2013 NFL Draft: New Browns defensive end Armonty Bryant seeks to atone for college arrest

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports columnist
Published: May 4, 2013 - 10:28 AM | Updated: May 4, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Tim McCarty believed so strongly that Armonty Bryant had learned from his 2012 arrest for selling marijuana that he gave him the key to his house.

Because East Central (Okla.) University defensive end Bryant could no longer live on campus after he left school to train for the NFL Scouting Combine, the football coach let Bryant live with him for about two months.

McCarty said Bryant not only slept and showered there, but he sat around the dinner table with McCarty’s wife, Jillian, and teenage daughters Bailey and Kendall talking and laughing over pictures on their cellphones. The McCartys had also temporarily taken in two recently hired football coaches, which made for a rollicking group.

“He just blended right in,” McCarty said of Bryant. “It was a good thing for him, and it was a good thing for us, too. He stays with us whenever he needs to.”

After being so close to Bryant, McCarty doesn’t believe the Browns took a huge risk when they selected the defensive playmaker with a penchant for blocking kicks in the seventh round, No. 217 overall.

Bryant was suspended for three games last season after being arrested in October for selling $20 of marijuana twice to an undercover officer, both times in an ECU parking lot, according to the Ada (Okla.) News. Because the transactions came within 2,000 feet of a school, he was charged with a felony.

Bryant was given a suspended sentence, according to the newspaper, and can have the felony charge expunged if he follows the terms of his probation, which runs through Oct. 18, 2017.

“I know Cleveland got a heckuva football player,” McCarty said. “Most of the scouts told us he was second- or third-round in terms of his grade.

“He’s paid a price. He made a terrible decision. Moving forward, I think he’s 10 times the person now.”

McCarty believes Bryant was caught in a police sting.

“I think another college kid had gotten in trouble and was doing something and was calling guys,” McCarty said. “Armonty made a poor choice. He had passed all his [drug] tests with us.”

McCarty said Bryant was not arrested at practice, as has been reported, but in the training room before practice.

“It was humiliating, it didn’t matter where it was,” McCarty said. “I didn’t ask him how he felt about all of it, but I know how I felt. It’s devastating when a young man puts his life or his career in jeopardy by making a simple decision and doesn’t understand the ramifications. I’d stand on the table any day and say he’s a quality young man.”

A semester from graduating from the Division II school with a kinesiology degree, Bryant sounded determined to prove to the Browns he wouldn’t be a problem child. During a conference call after he was drafted, Bryant said he hadn’t expected to be selected.

“Good people make mistakes’ is something that I’ve always been told by my coach,” Bryant said a week ago. “I feel like it was just a stupid move on my part. I should have been more mature about the situation and be more focused on football, which is something I really want to do with my life.

“Now that I’ve gotten that second chance, I feel like I won’t let anyone down. I won’t let myself, the people around me or the Cleveland Browns down. I appreciate them for taking this chance on me.”

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said they sent defensive line coach Joe Cullen to work out Bryant and believe Bryant has matured.

“Looking into his background with coach Cullen out there, as well as our scouting staff, we felt like he is past the mistakes he has made and ready to move on,” Chudzinski said.

There are other concerns with Bryant. He said he underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder in January 2012, but did not bench press at the combine because of what he called “a minor tweaking” after the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game.

”I feel 100 percent right now, no issues whatsoever,” Bryant said.

Bryant also attended three colleges. A native of Wichita Falls, Texas, he started out at Abilene Christian but did not play because of academic issues. He spent one year at Cisco (Texas) Junior College. McCarty said he wouldn’t have known Bryant was leaving Cisco if he hadn’t just gotten a graduate assistant a job there.

In three years at East Central, which also produced the New York Jets’ Mark Gastineau, Bryant set a school record with 26.5 sacks. He also blocked nine kicks.

“A lot of people throw around the ‘it’ factor, and whatever it is, he has it in that area,” McCarty said. “He understands leverage and pad level and how to get push at that right spot.”

But Bryant, 6-foot-4 and 263 pounds, can do more than swat kicks.

“He’s a terrific athlete,” McCarty said. “He’s got great change of direction. He’s got a burst of speed, he’s got closing speed and he’s got general speed. He’s got a lot of pass-rush moves and knows how to finish plays.

“As a senior he only played in eight games and he was running wild out there.”

McCarty has three plays he’ll remember from Bryant’s time at East Central, with the best coming in his final game against Southeastern.

“Here comes the quarterback down the line. He grabs him with his right arm and the quarterback tries to figure out how to pitch. He pitches it and Armonty slaps it with his left arm, throws the quarterback down and scoops it up and runs [50] yards for a touchdown,” McCarty said.

“I’ve watched him defend the corner route and play man-to-man about 35 yards downfield and have a pass breakup in the corner of the end zone. His sophomore season I watched him jump and bat a ball and catch it and run 65 yards for a touchdown and outrun the receiver. The guy’s got some juice, now. He’s fun to watch.”

Contract information

New Browns wide receiver Davone Bess’ three-year contract extension that secures him through the 2016 season is worth $11.5 million, including $5.75 million guaranteed, a league source confirmed for the Beacon Journal. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the Browns do not publicize the financial terms of player contracts.

The Browns acquired Bess, 27, this past weekend in a trade with the Miami Dolphins. The deal involved a swap of draft picks between the two teams.

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com.

web page

P
Legend
Legend
P
Everyone is running on Banner and Lombardi, but it looks like they took a few low risk that may bring HUGE REWARDS!!! ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Nice article - I don't expect a whoe lot from 7th rounders but this could be a great pick up

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I guess that's one way to find people late on the draft. Go after guys with character concerns that cause their draft stock to fall. It's just a 7th rounder, so it's not a big deal of he's a tool.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't someone say he sold the drugs during practice? Nothing I've read mentioned that, just that it was in a parking lot.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I picked up on that as well. One of the articles might have said that it was in the parking lot after practice or something, and it was misread.

Not sure it really makes a difference, though. The kid sold weed on a campus. That's bad.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I guess that's one way to find people late on the draft. Go after guys with character concerns that cause their draft stock to fall. It's just a 7th rounder, so it's not a big deal of he's a tool.

I agree. It's a lot different taking a flyer on a late round pick than picking a high risk guy in the first or second round.

Sixth and seventh round picks don't generally make your team. I actually like how we took Slaughter and Bryant late. Both kids have talent. One fell because of a horrific injury and the other because he was a knucklehead.

Will both--or even one--make the team? I don't know. Slaughter might not fully recover from his injury and Bryant sounds like a loose cannon. However, it's pretty good strategy even if one of these kids makes it. We will get a kid w/real talent rather than just a guy.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Less than a week after the Browns drafted defensive end Armonty Bryant, his history of off-the-field trouble continued to grow.

Bryant was arrested Friday morning in Ada, Okla., and charged with driving under the influence, according to a police report obtained today by the Beacon Journal. He faces a misdemeanor DUI charge and is scheduled to be arraigned at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in Pontotoc County District Court.

The Ada News first reported the arrest today.

“We are aware of the incident and are now in the process of collecting more information," Browns vice president of media relations Neal Gulkis said in a statement. "We will not have any further comment.”

After pulling Bryant over, officer Kylor Pool administered a standard field sobriety test but had problems getting Bryant to comply with a preliminary breath test by properly blowing into a breathalyzer, according to the police report. In the report, Pool wrote that he attempted the test at least 10 times, and it eventually yielded a result of 0.098. Oklahoma’s legal limit for intoxication is 0.08.

Pool then arrested Bryant and tried to get him to submit to the state’s breath test. Bryant repeatedly refused to adequately blow into the Intoxilyzer, though two deficient samples read 0.10 and 0.09, according to the report. Bryant also declined to submit to the state’s blood test.

“During my interactions with Armonty I observed him to have slurred speech, to have a strong odor associated with an alcoholic beverage coming from about his person and to be unbalanced on his feet,” Pool wrote in the report.

According to the report, Pool pulled Bryant over at 3:46 a.m. Friday because Bryant made a left turn after failing to signal until his vehicle had come to a stop at a stop sign near East Central University’s Norris Field, where he became a Division II college football standout. Bryant initially told Pool he was driving a friend home from a party and had not been drinking, but he later “stated that he had a few drinks earlier in the evening,” according to the report.

A passenger in the vehicle with Bryant, Ashley Robison, was arrested and charged with public intoxication.

Bryant posted $500 bail and was released from the Pontotoc County Justice Center at 10:30 a.m. Friday.

On April 27, the Browns drafted Bryant in the seventh round (No. 217 overall) despite his baggage. Bryant was suspended for three games last season after being arrested in October for selling $20 of marijuana twice to an undercover officer, both times in an ECU parking lot, according to the News. Because the transactions came within 2,000 feet of a school, he was charged with a felony.

Moments after he was drafted, Bryant said he learned from his marijuana arrest and vowed not to disappoint the Browns for showing faith in him.

‘“Good people make mistakes’ is something that I’ve always been told by my [college] coach,” Bryant said April 27 during a conference call with the Cleveland media. “I feel like it was just a stupid move on my part. I should have been more mature about the situation and be more focused on football, which is something I really want to do with my life.

“Now that I’ve gotten that second chance, I feel like I won’t let anyone down. I won’t let myself, the people around me or the Cleveland Browns down. I appreciate them for taking this chance on me.”

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said the organization was confident Bryant had matured after sending defensive line coach Joe Cullen to work him out before the draft.

“Looking into his background with coach Cullen out there, as well as our scouting staff, we felt like [Bryant] is past the mistakes he has made and ready to move on,” Chudzinski said April 27 during a news conference.

Bryant’s agent did not immediately reply to a message from the Beacon Journal seeking comment.

Link

N
Legend
Legend
N
first off, Armonty has got to be smarter especially considering his past. It looks like he will be fully entrenched into the NFL's substance abuse policy right off the bat.

also, any driving while intoxicated is bad.

but, a couple things that stick out about the story seem strange to me (completely outside the realms of how it affects the Browns):

Quote:

According to the report, Pool pulled Bryant over at 3:46 a.m. Friday because Bryant made a left turn after failing to signal until his vehicle had come to a stop at a stop sign near East Central University’s Norris Field, where he became a Division II college football standout. Bryant initially told Pool he was driving a friend home from a party and had not been drinking, but he later “stated that he had a few drinks earlier in the evening,” according to the report.

A passenger in the vehicle with Bryant, Ashley Robison, was arrested and charged with public intoxication.

So, he did signal, but just didn't turn it on until he stopped at the stop sign. And, that was enough to pull him over? That seems incredibly over-bearing.

And, perhaps Oklahoma is different, but I didn't think you could get arrested for public intoxication while being driven home. That seems incredibly over-bearing as well (going directly from one private location to another while being driven by someone else in a private car - how is that public intoxication?).

And, I tend to lean towards police rights. But, this seems too far to me.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
For what its worth a DUI is stupid but I don't honestly care about them. As far as I am concerned it is good news he is just getting drunk and not getting high on anything. Another silver lining, it doesn't sound like his passenger had any drugs either.

Hopefully this knucklehead gets his head straight and orders a cab from now on.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Scouts I follow on twitter think this kid is talented. Too bad he's going to drink himself out of the league in a year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

For what its worth a DUI is stupid but I don't honestly care about them. As far as I am concerned it is good news he is just getting drunk and not getting high on anything. Another silver lining, it doesn't sound like his passenger had any drugs either.

Hopefully this knucklehead gets his head straight and orders a cab from now on.

Alcohol is just as deadly as drugs, just because Alcohol is legal doesn't make it any better, they are both Mind Altering Drugs ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

As far as I am concerned it is good news he is just getting drunk and not getting high on anything.

Huh?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

As far as I am concerned it is good news he is just getting drunk and not getting high on anything.

Huh?

As far as I am concerned it is badnews he is stupid and selfish for BREAKING THE LAW.

Legend
Legend
1 word.

Idiot.

Potentially 2 words:

Unemployed Idiot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
+2 He might have just drank himself out of the league.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

first off, Armonty has got to be smarter especially considering his past. It looks like he will be fully entrenched into the NFL's substance abuse policy right off the bat.

but, a couple things that stick out about the story seem strange to me (completely outside the realms of how it affects the Browns):

Quote:

So, he did signal, but just didn't turn it on until he stopped at the stop sign. And, that was enough to pull him over? That seems incredibly over-bearing.

And, perhaps Oklahoma is different, but I didn't think you could get arrested for public intoxication while being driven home. That seems incredibly over-bearing as well (going directly from one private location to another while being driven by someone else in a private car - how is that public intoxication?).

On your first statement, my guess is that the officer suspected drinking... the technicality is all he needs to pull someone over to check them out for a DUI. When someone is out at that hour with a passenger, it is a better than average chance that the driver has been drinking, IMO. It bodes him well to do the routine stop.

On the second one, we don't know the details... for all we know the woman was being a witch and saying stupid crap, so the officer gets tired of it and arrests her for public intox. Not saying that's how it was, but just that there is a large lack of details there.... it could be anything.

Bryant needs to hope and pray that someone in this organization REALLY likes him, or he is about to be unemployed.
If I'm in this front office, I sit him down and make it excruciatingly clear that he has just used up his one and only get outta jail free card and that he is not on the Hot Seat.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
...more words: we passed on Chris Gragg for him

Hopefully, that's the last we heard of him off the field, but it's not looking good. Instead of keeping his body fresh and treat his body like a professional athlete for the upcoming rookie minicamp, he does this

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
At least it's not as bad as getting caught for soliciting a prostitute when you have a wife and kids haha.

Good thing we paid Groves like $2 mil and got this other dude in the 7th!

Hopefully this clown stops all this because from what I've heard the dude has got some skills.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Get this person out of E. Central Oklahoma, pronto!
There is probably not alot to do in E, Central Oklahoma,
Threre is probably not much good you can do after 2 am on a Thursday night.
This guy is not an idiot, he just made a stupid decision. He probably won't be unemployed, but he does need to get off of that Po-Dunct campus; and headed in the right direction.

He probably wasn't even that drunk, but that's the thing, you don't have to be that drunk, and they still give you a dui, and sometimes people get killed in wrecks with drunk drivers.

They need to get some responsible, professional, people around this guy, to get his head on straight, and making right decisions; and part of that is getting this guy out of a one horse town, where he's probably a big to-do and there's nothing fun to do except party and get into trouble.

He's gonna play linebacker.?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

...more words: we passed on Chris Gragg for him

Ok, this dude's name keeps messing me up, lol!

Quote:

Instead of keeping his body fresh and treat his body like a professional athlete for the upcoming rookie minicamp, he does this

Eh, don't blow it out of proportion... a night of drinking isn't a case of not "keeping his body fresh". It's just a case of a night of drinking and he was barely over the limit.
Not bright, and I'm not excusing it, but don't make it more than it is.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M

-Bryant

I guess the silver lining is that he was only a 7th rounder, but this disappointing nonetheless. A week after getting drafted?

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Well Bubba, a lot of things can go wrong. This is the Browns we are talking about, right?

In the end we are only going to keep 3 TE's, and we just signed those guys. I doubt they were going to cut the guys they just signed to keep a 7th round TE.

At least that's the way I have it figured.

They could keep 4 tight ends. I think with the ending of both Watson and Alex Smith, they'd be better off to keep 4 tight ends and see how things shake out.
Maybe they can call them H backs and line one of them up at fullback.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Well, this is a bummer.

What is it with people in Oklahoma and getting DUIs?

I agree with TL. Get him out of there. Drankin and drivin. Good grief.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
To my knowledge getting a DUI won't get him immediately suspended like a failed drug test. When you are smoking pot you're basically going to fail any drug test within the next 2-3 weeks as a minimum. So I am happy the guy switched over to alcohol. He blew a .10 which I consider the upper acceptable limit for "I'm good to drive it's cool". Considering his driving infraction was innocuous and his blood alcohol level so low I'm not particularly upset with the guy. Its not like he was swerving all over the road and blowing a .20.

I'm not the kind of guy who cares at all about people using drugs or violating the law. As far as players are concerned I just want them to avoid anything that will get them suspended. For example I could care less about Groves prostitution bust.

But hey, not everyone agrees in life. Most people will consider a DUI a bigger deal than me.. and I'm fine with that

Legend
Legend
Quote:

At least it's not as bad as getting caught for soliciting a prostitute when you have a wife and kids haha.

Good thing we paid Groves like $2 mil and got this other dude in the 7th!

Hopefully this clown stops all this because from what I've heard the dude has got some skills.

Good point... Groves and Bryant are in the same position group. It will be interesting to see how these two incidents influence the roster decisions.

Legend
Legend
Braylon Edwards wasn't suspended for his DUI ..... so I don't believe that Bryant will be.

He would be subject to the league's substance abuse policy if he fails a drug test. (however, I think that the point would be moot for the Browns if he ever fails a drug test)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Well, this kind of reminds me of the Blackmon situation. I think he had a strike coming in to the league because of the 2010 DUI, then got busted right after the draft. Wouldn't be surprised if his 4 game suspension from this year if from that second DUI. Bryant may have the same thing.

If I'm Bryant, I want the 4-game to hit this year. There's a 20% increase in minimum salary from rookie year to second year.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah that stood out to me too. what kind of decent officer charges the passenger? Sounds like he (the officer) prob. was looking for trouble or had an arrest mandate or a quota ...

plus Armonty was not too far over, had he been .22 that would be a really bad thing.

BUT not at all smart on Armonty's part! you cant get charged with DUI if you are not drinking at all. Better plan not to drink and drive.

We all partied when we were young, but right after getting busted once, right after getting drafted, right after promising not to do it anymore, he gets busted for ANYTHING? Even jaywalking -Armonty..!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He's gonna play linebacker.?

If I remember right, Someone asked Chud if he was being looked at for the DL or LB and Chud said the DL.

My first thought was, Now their gonna have to cut the guy. If they don't, then what kind of message does that send to the locker room? With Banner & Lombardo picking on Gordon about stepping it up and keep improving(don't get me wrong, we all want that) but, to come out and say things like that to the media about a rookie, with a yr. off and no camp, doing as well as he did, was just wrong IMO. If we keep Bryant now, that sends the message to Gorden that he better tow the line, but Everybody else can do whatever they like. Not a good thing.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is very disappointing. I was hoping he would get it after being busted and then drafted. Apparently not.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry about the rant. Somethings just get under my skin. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's okay to rant, my man. It's about all we freaking have as Brown's fans.

I wouldn't cut him yet. He would be on a short leash. He was a 7th round pick. Not a huge deal.

I may not be right about this, but Gordon came in w/even more baggage. He got busted numerous times and even got caught doing the same thing AFTER he got kicked out of one school. He cost us a second round pick Far cry from a 7th.

I say keep them both and pray they don't screw up again, even though the odds of that happening are not very good.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Just because they don't cut him, doesn't mean they endorse his behavior.
For the reason they decided to Pick him, when he had issues, if they decide to Cut him for an issue, near around 2 weeks later, then that would make the decision to pick him in the first place look stupid. And it would be flip flopping.

So unless it's something completly unacceptable, they kind of have to keep him to save face, at least through training camp.

C
Legend
Legend
C
What happens if we just don't sign him? Don't his rights get carried over till next year's draft? If so, I just don't sign him and then see if he is still an ignoramus later on.

B
Legend
Legend
B
That doesn't make a lot of sense.

You just say thanks, no thanks.

At this point you won't have a lot of money, if any invested in him......I say bring him in.

His flub up could be our gain at this point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree. I would also bring him in. I was just trying to think of alternatives to cutting him.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #217: Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central (OK)

Link Copied to Clipboard