Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

As far as 'OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU' goes, like I said before, really wasn't what I was expecting at #6, would have thought the Browns would have traded down before picking Mingo,

What teams did the Browns turn down?

What were the trade offers?

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Quote:

Good effort, but there is already a thread on grading the draft.

Thanks, had no idea about the other thread though. Just wanted to put my own personal opinion into my own thread, you know,

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I don't understand why people make hasty judgements about him being this gigantic risk based on his college production (in a system that didn't fit him) and his weight.

His athleticism alone makes his floor a very productive situational pass rusher (a la Paul Kruger or Bruce Irvin last year). And that would be worst-case scenario, especially with this coaching staff.

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Quote:

Quote:

As far as 'OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU' goes, like I said before, really wasn't what I was expecting at #6, would have thought the Browns would have traded down before picking Mingo,

What teams did the Browns turn down?

What were the trade offers?

They probably had some ofters, but I don't know the specifics. I would tell you though, but I wasn't In the war room, unfortunately.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Also an F, not even a D-

Here are the positives.
Barkevious Mingo, Well if you draft 6 you should get a player who contributes to the team, and they did, but if you want a quarterback, they passed on all 9+ drafted when they picked Mingo at 6, so, you can't claim you were waiting on Nassib and got overjumped by the Giants, they just choked.

2nd most Positive, Davonne Bess, Well it has to be an F grade if the next best thing to a 1st rounder is the fact you traded for a 27yr old player already in the league and didn't have to give up a whole lot. That means you didn't find anyone else in the 254+ to 500 players you could have drafted.

3rd positive, Leon McFadden fills a need, but I don't know if he will be able to play, and hopefully, hopefully, he won't get his backside handed to him at the NFL level.

4th positive, Out of everyone else they drafted, maybe one of them will work out, and getting one of them to last will be better than nothing, better than waiting on next year for an intangible pick.

5th positive, Given that I consider this the worst draft in the last 10 years, I have to look back on the good they did when the Overpaid by the Millions for 3 free agents on the defensive side of the ball. The players should be able to play,and make an impact, even if it is the wrong philosophy to add overpaid free agents.

6th positive, They did not trade Sheard away, they still Have Jabaal Sheard on the team and I'd expect him to keep putting pressure on opponents.

7th positive, The fact that they didn't take anyone with the middle round picks that they traded for next years picks will clear up space for playing time and roster spots for hopeful free agent signings other than the 3 big defenders, including Tight ends Barnridge and Davis, and the wide receiver from Buffalo.

Overall, F, You just can't trade away 2 of only 7 picks, and 2 of only 4 picks in the top 165 overall.
Go Browns !

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well.......the point is that if WE ALL started our OWN thread to share our thoughts on the draft, this board would be a mess........you know?

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Quote:

Overall, F, You just can't trade away 2 of only 7 picks, and 2 of only 4 picks in the top 165 overall.
Go Browns !

I could understand being upset at all the trade aways, I was fairly upset myself. But, we did get a extra 3rd and 4th round pick next year, and since this Draft Class was fairly weak (In my opinion) well, I'm just not that upset anymore.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wow. That is the worst, devoid of fact, most agenda driven analysis I have ever read in my life.

It makes one wonder if you even know what football is?

Thanks for solidifying the fact that I think we made some solid, smart, long term moves this draft.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The "fan" in me was upset to trade the picks. I mean, I tune in and don't miss a single pick of the draft, and wanna see my team pick!

But the "football mind" part of me likes the trades.

Legend
Legend
I didn't get to see our trades. So I didn't have to st through it. I'm glad we're loading up for next year. If we need a QB we WILL get him next year. I hated the draft. I'm glad we got McFadden though.

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Quote:

The "fan" in me was upset to trade the picks. I mean, I tune in and don't miss a single pick of the draft, and wanna see my team pick!

But the "football mind" part of me likes the trades.

Yeah, that's pretty much what went through my mind as well. Hopefully next years draft has promise though, would be nice to see the Browns grab some steals with that extra 4th and 3rd round pick they got.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Wow. That is the worst, devoid of fact, most agenda driven analysis I have ever read in my life.

It makes one wonder if you even know what football is?

Thanks for solidifying the fact that I think we made some solid, smart, long term moves this draft.

You get one free Beer! 100% agree!! This draft was so thin, if you didn't get what you want by end of the second maybe third...it's been said. I stated on the other board when Gordon was taken. I wondered if losing this second round pick would come back to haunt. Gordon please don't disappoint.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

the best pick for the banner/lombardi front office was the second round pick.

LOL - This is true. By far and away ther worst draft in team history. This is a joke.

But the Hope lies with the FBI....Please do you job and gives us a new owner

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
1 (6) - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
--Clearly, pass rush is more important to this FO than secondary. I like Mingo's enthusiasm and hope his lack of size is an aid to his speed rather than an opportunity for AFC North OL to throw him to the ground.

2 (supp.) - Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor
--Would have been happy to draft him here, knowing what we know now and we got him a year of experience ahead of time.

3 (68) - Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St.
--By the 3rd round, you're either going to get good sized guys with less game or guys with game who don't measure up in height. I'd rather have a mighty mouse with game than a 6 ft. guy with no instincts. Honestly, all he has to be is better than Buster Skrine to be an upgrade!

6 (175) - Jamoris Slaughter, S, Notre Dame
--Love the name, love the potential. A clearly talented guy who slipped due to injury.

7 (217) - Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB, East Central (OK)
--Again, talented guys who slip have to have something wrong with him. Check out this guys stats for the season he was partially suspended. If he got that in 8 games, he is a beast. If he can keep off the weed, we'll have a steal.

7 (227) Garrett Gilkey, OT/OG, Chadron State
--Health concerns along the way led to him playing at smaller schools. Hope he's at least got the chops to be great depth.
Additional acquisitions:

Davone Bess, WR
--Very solid pickup for very little cost.

2014 3rd round pick (PIT)
--If there was nobody available that could compete for a starting role, roll the dice on next year.

2014 4th round pick (IND)
--see above

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

By far and away ther worst draft in team history.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Quote:

By far and away ther worst draft in team history.

+100000000000000

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Very good job by our new FO, We added 2 excellent Wr's counting Gordan, we added extra picks in 2014 and we got a great pass rusher a pretty decent CB and a G that was projected much higher than where we drafted him ... job well done

I don't know how much value we really got from trading away the round 4 and round 5 picks away for the round 3 and round 4 picks.

We were picking high in the 4th this year but traded away to a team that will probably be a playoff contender (and an AFCN rival). So, we went from a Top 4th rounder to a likely bottom quarter of the 3rd round next year.

The same goes for the 5th rounder we traded away to Indy, another possible playoff contender next year. They should be drafting in the bottom half and possibly in the bottom quarter of the 4th.

We should have demanded more from Putzburgh.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
You obviously forget the draft where our top pick was Beau Bell I believe he was our first pick, a fourth rounder.

But seriously,if I was the owner of this site I would ban you for life for that post. I would prabably be wrong in doing so but I would surely do it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JMO, but I think Pittsburgh is in a downward trend and that 3rd rd pick could be in the middle of the round. Plus they are one hit on Roethlisberger from having a disastrous year, not that I hope it happens, which would make it a high 3rd.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Also an F, not even a D-

Here are the positives.
Barkevious Mingo, Well if you draft 6 you should get a player who contributes to the team, and they did, but if you want a quarterback, they passed on all 9+ drafted when they picked Mingo at 6, so, you can't claim you were waiting on Nassib and got overjumped by the Giants, they just choked.

2nd most Positive, Davonne Bess, Well it has to be an F grade if the next best thing to a 1st rounder is the fact you traded for a 27yr old player already in the league and didn't have to give up a whole lot. That means you didn't find anyone else in the 254+ to 500 players you could have drafted.

3rd positive, Leon McFadden fills a need, but I don't know if he will be able to play, and hopefully, hopefully, he won't get his backside handed to him at the NFL level.

4th positive, Out of everyone else they drafted, maybe one of them will work out, and getting one of them to last will be better than nothing, better than waiting on next year for an intangible pick.

5th positive, Given that I consider this the worst draft in the last 10 years, I have to look back on the good they did when the Overpaid by the Millions for 3 free agents on the defensive side of the ball. The players should be able to play,and make an impact, even if it is the wrong philosophy to add overpaid free agents.

6th positive, They did not trade Sheard away, they still Have Jabaal Sheard on the team and I'd expect him to keep putting pressure on opponents.

7th positive, The fact that they didn't take anyone with the middle round picks that they traded for next years picks will clear up space for playing time and roster spots for hopeful free agent signings other than the 3 big defenders, including Tight ends Barnridge and Davis, and the wide receiver from Buffalo.

Go Browns !

Why do you list them as positives and then bash everything? I don't understand are you saying drafting Mingo caused us to pass on 9 QBs? Its pretty obvious we had no plans on taking a QB in this draft.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

If you look at Bess, Gordon and the future picks, there's already some positives about this draft. Now, its up to Mingo and McFadden. We'll have to wait and see.

we had a really young roster to begin with, so there wasn't much need for another crop of youngsters this year. It would be different if we were loaded with 32 year olds. Have to see who steps up this year (Lava, Cameron, Robertson, etc) and use those extra picks next year to solidify this thing.

Kind of hard to be patient, but its not like a 4th or 5th round rookie was going to be "the answer" anyhow. We've got plenty of late round picks just hitting the make/break stage.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Why do you list them as positives and then bash everything?

Some on here just trash everything because that's the only way they can get attention.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Value isn't always seen immediatly. I think we will see the value next year.

Kind of like buying a stock.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm ok with the draft, 2 needs were filled and 2 additional picks were added for next year.

I think people railing on them for not taking that rumored St. Louis trade are smoking crack. You never assume your guy will be there later. They liked Mingo a lot. The pick came in early, they clearly were set on getting him.

How would it have looked if they liked EJ Manuel and decided to screw around and try and trade back and add a second round pick to take him? Egg on the face. You can never assume that the rankings and big boards that you see are the same as these teams'.

I like Mingo a lot. I watched a ton of LSU. I've heard a lot of people saying he's the next Kam Wimbley. Mingo is a ton faster. He gets off the line quick. He's relentless. As far as his weight, Jason Taylor played at pretty much the same size in the NFL that Mingo played at in college. Don't write him off for his weight. Let's see if he can make plays and disrupt offenses. With his speed, Ray Horton has a few different options for him.

I'm not going to lie, I know nothing about Leon McFadden. I'm glad we added a corner, but I really wonder if this guy is starting material or just depth.

I have no problem with trading with Pittsburgh. If you're worried about Shamarko Thomas "haunting you for years" please stop watching football. The only way that logic works is if this pick had been in the first round and had it been for a QB, then maybe I'll sit with the worriers. Not for a safety drafted in round 4. Child please.

I don't know anything about Armonty Bryant, but I watched some highlight plays, and seeing how big and strong he is, my guess is the Browns see this as nothing or maybe by chance he's the next James Harrison.

I love what I have read about Garrett Gilkey.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

JMO, but I think Pittsburgh is in a downward trend and that 3rd rd pick could be in the middle of the round. Plus they are one hit on Roethlisberger from having a disastrous year, not that I hope it happens, which would make it a high 3rd.

I think that they're also on the downturn but still a playoff contender next year.

I think the Bengals are making tsunami-sized waves in the division. They're going to be perennial leaders in the division in the future.

BallsNoMore is also on the downturn although with the disintegration of their defense, they've been forced to get young talent there and they've gotten it. There are still some holes for the Ravens to fill there, but they're starting the process and it won't take them too long to rebuild it. Ozzie is a very good GM. Something that the Browns haven't really had since our return in 1999.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I honestly beleive that with our new and much improved coaching staff (on paper anyway) and all the new players we brought in we could be an 8 or 9 win team and have at least an outside shot at the playoffs. Alot will depend on what Chud and Norv Turner can do with Weeden.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think Banner and Lombardi and company did an excellent job with acquiring Bess for next to nothing, and acquiring the additional 2014 draft picks. I feel they got great value for what they gave up. They addressed the pieces we needed to for the most part (seeing lack of QB class) - corner, lb and safety and offensive linemen (I guess the guy we picked up can play both guard and tackle) - so now the gaping holes are a little close up, but still need to upgrade AND add depth at many spots.

All and all I am satisfied.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think Banner and Lombardi and company did an excellent job with acquiring Bess for next to nothing, and acquiring the additional 2014 draft picks. I feel they got great value for what they gave up. They addressed the pieces we needed to for the most part (seeing lack of QB class) - corner, lb and safety and offensive linemen (I guess the guy we picked up can play both guard and tackle) - so now the gaping holes are a little close up, but still need to upgrade AND add depth at many spots.

All and all I am satisfied.

Actually it was a 3rd and a 4th.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I know I already had corrected it, just wording my thoughts wrongly.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Also an F, not even a D-

Here are the positives.

Go Browns !

I happen to really like this draft, the Browns addressed came away with five players and addressed the most important needs on this team:

They addressed the pass rush, they addressed CB, they addressed FS and G.

They added a proven solid, productive possession WR (Bess) by swapping draft picks then used those same picks to trade for better picks next year. Which was absolutely brilliant IMO!

Nearly every FA pickup in the NFL is over payed, so they only added FA in areas of great need.

Browns are making a statement in this division by adding FA Kruger and the drafting of Mingo while keeping Sheard. The statement is that the defense is coming after your QB from both sides, we will be in your QBs face all game long.

This DL is stacked with solid players, they can rotate in and out and stay fresh all game long with little to no drop off in talent.

I give this draft a grade of an A because they addressed all the greatest needs, added a go to WR on 3rd downs (Bess) while strengthening the draft next year.

This was smart drafting from start to finish.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

1 (6) - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
2 (supp.) - Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor
3 (68) - Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St.
6 (175) - Jamoris Slaughter, S, Notre Dame
7 (217) - Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB, East Central (OK)
7 (227) Garrett Gilkey, OT/OG, Chadron State

Additional acquisitions:

Davone Bess, WR
2014 3rd round pick (PIT)
2014 4th round pick (IND)

Discuss.

Taken as a whole, bringing in Bess, getting the '14 picks, not over drafting any prospects, I consider it a success. Add Gordon to the haul and it's one of the best team drafts of 2013.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I really don't grade drafts but I'll make a few comments...

- I love the Mingo pick as it pertains to our style of defense. I wanted him as our first pick.

- Don't know much on McFadden but am concerned about his size as he's thrown into a group of other small CBs, especially going against big receivers in the AFC North. If he can become our long term starter as the legit #2CB, it's a huge win. If he becomes solid depth and we find someone else higher in another draft, I'll be ok with that too.

- I'm fine with trading 2013 picks for future picks a round earlier in 2014 but it's a wait-n-see. I don't like that we handed a rival a player they really wanted.

- The back end of the draft is a crap shoot. If we find a guy, it's a steal. It not, nothing lost. However, we took two Division II prayers (one slanging to teammates of one team and transferred off another for academic issues) and safety coming off an Achilles injury.

This FO's first draft will live and die by Mingo and McFadden, IMO. Two picks out of five. That's a lot to lean on at this point. Who knows if we'll even use the 2014 picks we acquired to draft players.

Tackles are tackles.
All Pro
All Pro
jc

I sure hope the Honey Badger isn't All Pro in his first year.

GO BROWNS!
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I definately agree with your post Franklin.

I started to creat a separate thread to ask the board what they might have selected had the front office done the exact opposite in this years draft and opted not to and just add my 2 cents worth here.

Can anyone imagine how badly this board would have "blown up" if the front office did the opossite in this years draft, with regard to the swapped picks? There would be effigies burning in the streets if we had given up our third next year for the Steeler's fourth this year and our fourth next year for the Colt's fifth this year, just to fill holes that we "imagine" are there based off of media hype and the so called experts on this, or any other, board. People would be committing cyber suicide for pages.

Some times we need to be a little less "FANatical" about what we don't know. I, for one, am pretty satisfied with the moves that are this years draft.

As I see it:

1- Bark - a pass rushing inside Linebacker we have needed since '99

2- Josh Gordon - a Wide Receiver with1 year of NFL, experience that showed huge potential of becoming a true #1 WR, again something we have not had on the team since the return.

3. Leon McFadden - Good Value CB at a need position. My take is that Brian Sipe gave the Scouts and Coaches significantly more inside info on him than anyone else would have just because of his Cleveland ties.

4- A 2014 3rd round pick - I cannot wait to hear the screams of pain coming from Pittsburg next year when we take the BPA for a 3/4 Defense out from under thier noses.

5a- A 2014 4th round pick - with how poor this draft class is, I am all for developing what we already have so we can have a better understanding about our real needs for the team when we draft next year.

5b- Davon Bess - A sure handed Slot Receiver, that we did not have, with a proven 4 year NFL history. This is such a win/win for the Browns I can't wait to have him helping the our younger receivers with thier game.

6- Jamoris Slaughter - See below
7a- Armonty Bryant - See below
7b- Garrett Gilkey - What I see from the 6-7b picks are exactly what we usually expect to see, potential for development players that may add depth to thier position that the front office does not expect to slip into free agency.

Overall a solid draft to begin the new front offices transition.

Granted I'm not doing the , but neither am I doing the , like I have during previous drafts.

So, as a FAN I'm going to be with the draft and for the best from the team we have assembled. Definately looking forward to seeing the team at Training Camp in July.

Go Browns

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

just some notes.

Mingo stats...hope you stat guys realize he was asked to play a Box Containment for most games. I'm going to take a guess n state NO WAY IN HECK he will be doing so in our New D

McFadden...love his cover skills...Size - same height btw as Sheldon Brown. Height wasn't his problem at all throughout his career. Aging legs were his problem.

Vers...our late round pick Bryant was the kid arrested but I think he has a lot of talent.
http://www.youtube.com/v/nPxEfFmRESg

Only Anger on the traded picks we made in 4th n 5th rounds were that our pick disappeared n I look back to Steelers n Indy later picks for the move up n I still saw them there...I'm Yelling at the TV SHUT YOUR MOUTHS n LET US KNOW WHAT JUST HAPPENED. Around a round later they explained the 2014 picks we got. I was like WOW...only mad at the Talking Heads!

I know a Homer but I've implied it in the past n did not push it...but Gipson is going to be a Surprise Find for our FS starter!

Grading a draft??? I don't understand HOW...who knows who is going to be good...Grading our guys against who - The BOZO's without a JOB in the NLF

Grades are phony n mostly are reflective of HOW MANY PROSPECTS you pick. Can only assume with five picks made I would be shocked if anyone gives us a grade above C.

Honey Badger...Zona came right out n stated he will be playing FS not CB.

JMHO as always

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
J/C

I have mixed feelings with this draft. I love the trade for future picks. Though, I wish had a warm fuzzy about the secondary coming out of this draft. I thought we'd be getting a first round CB for sure. In the past 3 years, I probably feel less comfortable with this draft than the last in regards to the first 3 selections. Gordon is a shining spot in this draft.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

j/c

just some notes.

Mingo stats...hope you stat guys realize he was asked to play a Box Containment for most games. I'm going to take a guess n state NO WAY IN HECK he will be doing so in our New D

This reminded me of a point I had rumbling around in my head. Although this scheme at LSU resulted in plays where Mingo either didn't make the play himself or at times got taken out of the play by bigger linemen, he was often successful in playing his responsibility on those plays. AND he played routinely right on the D line at times on the interior. He held up physically in those circumstances.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Here is a link with good information about current cap space. There are going to be more cuts. I think we find our starting CB there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/team-by-team-cap-numbers-from-nfls-calculations/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

- Don't know much on McFadden but am concerned about his size

I concern myself less with height than with vertical leap...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
I know I saw him moving Left n Right always keeping n eye on his containment but not committing staying discipline...some dawgs here I think are translating that to him not handling blocks well. I actually thought he handled blocks well especially on some double teams where he just put his head in like a baby coming out of the womb n squirting through the Double Team!

Definitely needs to get stronger...expect to see him around 260 in 2 years.
I was not pleased with his Tackling of RBs...my only negative.

First Step is amazing.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your 2013 Cleveland Browns NFL Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard