Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#782666 04/27/13 08:44 PM
R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Still very puzzled with the trades. Deferring one year is only worth 15-20 places in the draft?

With so many holes in the team what is the logic? Were we unprepared to pick?

I'm still in shock and honestly don't know what to think.

Legend
Legend
Stockpiling picks to trade up next year. Savvy move. We already have projects on the team, with quite a few new faces already.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Stockpiling picks to trade up next year??????

Does that make any sense, I don't think so... Specially considering the value of the trade. A bad team trading with a good team, I would trade all my picks next year for sure........

We have to many projects because we are a bad team, talent level is very low, and we could have used this picks to move up this year.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
savvy for next year? yes...

frustrating for this year? yes!

we basically admitted that winning is our second priority this year. i will be shocked if we don't lose at least 10 games, probably more.

new offense (with the same cast of players as last year), new defense and all new players on special teams. all of this takes time, especially in cleveland. we don't do ANYTHING with a sense of urgency.

i wouldn't buy season tickets this year if they offered them at half price.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
Legend
Legend
Do you honestly think one of those 4th or 5th round players was going to make or break our season?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Stockpiling picks to trade up next year. Savvy move. We already have projects on the team, with quite a few new faces already.

except they need help now, what if the draft is even worse next year? going to move those picks another year and just keep picking 1-2 guys early then potentially throw away the rest of the draft? trading picks for the following year is such a crap shoot its almost a bigger one then picking players in the current draft

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow.

I actually think those two moves were outstanding. We are moving up a round w/both picks. Additionally, this was one of the weakest draft classes I have ever witnessed. Even the best players had question marks.

Solid moves by the Browns.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Do you honestly think one of those 4th or 5th round players was going to make or break our season?

it's possible, yes...

probable? no...

man, i'm going to love having those picks next year for sure.

but i'm going to hate the losing this year...

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Wow.

I actually think those two moves were outstanding. We are moving up a round w/both picks. Additionally, this was one of the weakest draft classes I have ever witnessed. Even the best players had question marks.

Vers, we are not moving up one round, we are lucky if we move up half a round.

Well, we drafted a starting CB on the 3rd round, so I don't think our FO though the draft was weak. Actually most of the drafts look the same after the 4th round, its just a question of having an eye for talent and being prepared, which I think we weren't.

The trades are so completely STUPID that I'm really puzzled, honestly...

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/27/13 09:12 PM.
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Wow.

vers, i agree...

it was a terrible draft class...

i was just hoping we could find at least a couple of playmakers... instead, i don't think we got a single player that will help us win games in 2013... not one! mingo is a project at best this year... mcfadden is 5-9 in a heels... and the rest of the picks will be lucky to make the roster...

so great, we'll have 9 picks in 2014... fabulous, open the 2014 draft board now...

because the 2013 season feels like it's over before it got started...

V
Legend
Legend
V
You think we weren't prepared? Really. That is nonsense.

As far as the stupid comment......we all look at things differently. I actually am thrilled we traded those two picks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Come on, man. Do you really think a pick in round 4 and a pick in round 5 of THIS YEAR'S DRAFT is the difference in us winning or losing this year?

I'm getting a headache.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Come on, man. Do you really think a pick in round 4 and a pick in round 5 of THIS YEAR'S DRAFT is the difference in us winning or losing this year?

I'm getting a headache.

you could say that about any pick past the 3rd round, so why dont they just stop after the 3rd round then?

V
Legend
Legend
V
What? That isn't what I'm saying. Good God!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In those rounds, you're looking for guys with talent and athleticism but need groomed into a complete football player.

A small percentage of players drafted in those rounds become starters. A VERY tiny percentage do so in year 1.

No one we could have taken there would have contributed this year anyway. And we clearly felt there wasn't anyone worth the pick to develop over the next 2-3 years.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

so then whats the whole imaginary point of you're post (this should be pretty funny) if they wont make the diffrence between winning or not and you should trade them then why even draft those rounds all together? they wont make a diffrence remember?

R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

You think we weren't prepared? Really. That is nonsense.

As far as the stupid comment......we all look at things differently. I actually am thrilled we traded those two picks.

Because next years class is so much better then this year? Our FO couldn't see any value on two player of this years class, but they know that next years players are that much better..... please..

I think it shows that we were not prepared, because the trade value isn't there, we are trading with teams that are playoff contenders and a division rival. IMHO its shows that the new FO isn't either comfortable with the assessment of value of the current roster nor with the assessment of the players in this draft.

The players we didn't draft would have one year with the team, which is specially important for developmental picks.

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/27/13 09:24 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm done. It should be funny? Are you freaking kidding me.

Keep whining. It will make it all better.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

I'm done. It should be funny? Are you freaking kidding me.

thanks for proving my point, you're just posting to troll and have no idea what you're talking about

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It would seem they are quite satisfied with our roster as is. They feel they don't need any more young talent. This is a good thing. It means we are all set to play great football come September. At least in their minds. Banner just said in the press conference "We're not asking for a free pass this year". Well, that's good Joe, because you aren't getting one. If you don't need players, then you have NO excuse for playing poorly and come September we better SEE that on the field.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

so then whats the whole imaginary point of you're post (this should be pretty funny) if they wont make the diffrence between winning or not and you should trade them then why even draft those rounds all together? they wont make a diffrence remember?

Because you shouldn't be looking for starters in the 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th.

You should be looking for special teamers, depth, high ceiling guys, etc.

Every once in awhile, you get a few that pan out.

But if you're hinging your teams success on those late rounders, your team isn't going to win that many games.

No one is saying those rounds are worthless. They're saying that they're not make-or-break rounds. A team's success or lack thereof isn't defined by late round picks.

Late round picks should fill out your roster, maybe once in a blue moon blossom into something promising.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

)'m done. It should be funny? Are you freaking kidding me.

What's to whine about? Our front office and coaching staff believe we are good to go as is. They have no need for anymore young talent. Hell, that's jump for joy material. No reason in the world we shouldn't play winning football in the Fall.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But if you're hinging your teams success on those late rounders, your team isn't going to win that many games.

No one is saying those rounds are worthless. They're saying that they're not make-or-break rounds. A team's success or lack thereof isn't defined by late round picks.

Late round picks should fill out your roster, maybe once in a blue moon blossom into something promising.

no you dont look for starters but you look for players who can contribue one way or another, you're also not going to be succesful when you only pick 2 guys in the first 4 rounds either

R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

It would seem they are quite satisfied with our roster as is. They feel they don't need any more young talent. This is a good thing. It means we are all set to play great football come September. At least in their minds. Banner just said in the press conference "We're not asking for a free pass this year". Well, that's good Joe, because you aren't getting one. If you don't need players, then you have NO excuse for playing poorly and come September we better SEE that on the field.

Spirit, they could have used those picks to move up and draft a better CB on the third, maybe pack the 3rd the two 4's and the 5th to move up to the second round...

It doesn't make any sense to me, specially if we consider the talent we have.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

no you dont look for starters but you look for players who can contribue one way or another

And we got, what? Four of them, potentially?

Quote:

you're also not going to be succesful when you only pick 2 guys in the first 4 rounds either

The first four rounds of the draft netted us Mingo, Gordon, McFadden, Davone Bess and a 2014 third-rounder.

That's four players and a future pick.

R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no you dont look for starters but you look for players who can contribue one way or another, you're also not going to be succesful when you only pick 2 guys in the first 4 rounds either

This players aren't going to make you win this year, but one year of development its huge for the players drafted after the 3rd round. IMHO, deferring one year is for sure more valuable then 15 positions in the draft.

R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

no you dont look for starters but you look for players who can contribue one way or another

And we got, what? Four of them, potentially?

Quote:

you're also not going to be succesful when you only pick 2 guys in the first 4 rounds either

The first four rounds of the draft netted us Mingo, Gordon, McFadden, Davone Bess and a 2014 third-rounder.

That's four players and a future pick.

I would honestly be happier with Mingo, Gordon and Jamar Taylor, for example.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

No one we could have taken there would have contributed this year anyway

I like the trades. If nobody was there that they liked, put yourself in a better position next year, or trade back.

But to say no one taken with those picks would have contributed this year is ridiculous imo.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
R
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

No one we could have taken there would have contributed this year anyway

I like the trades. If nobody was there that they liked, put yourself in a better position next year, or trade back.

But to say no one taken with those picks would have contributed this year is ridiculous imo.

Most of the fans don't like or dislike the draft class after the 3rd round, we just don't know, but we can safely assume that the rest of the 31 teams did pick players, and most of them have better roster's than ours. This not to talk about the Colts and the Steelers who did the trade....

2nd String
2nd String
Ok I feel the need to throw a curve ball and play devil's advocate here. Maybe the reason they traded those picks was because instead of adding players they feel they will drop anyways, they still have FA and the OTHER players drafted that other teams will drop to choose from. As much as everyone is proclaiming the sky is falling, we haven't seen this team play one single down with the new O and D schemes. Lets also keep Ray Hortons words fresh in mind. Big guys that can run and Little guys that can hit...

Who let the Dawgs out???
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC.....

It isn't that hard to read fellows. This draft class sucked...weakest since 2005. Heck there were zero home run picks in the top ten for goodness sake much less after that. Hopefully next years class is loaded, but no one with any historical perspective on the draft would predict it to be this bad again.....happens about once a decade. We traded out of this years crap picks hoping for a loaded draft nextg year....good move.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Gonna need the ammo when we trade up for Teddy Bridgewater.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Gonna need the ammo when we trade up for Teddy Bridgewater.

Please, no...

Legend
Legend
Love the new sig, candyman. Always top notch.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Why because he is a card? The kid has potential to be good qb. I look forward to see if he can continue to develop into a top flight prospect.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Love the new sig, candyman. Always top notch.

Thank you!

Also to Top, I like Tahj Boyd too.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wow.

+1

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I truly am puzzled anyone even thinks getting additional drafts picks is a bad idea. New England used this tactic for years. Why not copy what they do? Is it wrong to want to think like winners? Ok, you still doubt...nobody can do what Belichick can do. Hogwash! San Fransisco, Seattle, and St. Louis put on clinic these last three days.

Here is another reason. There is no way on this green earth any fourth and/or fifth rounder makes or breaks this team from being a winner. If this even remotely is true, you do realize their are still good FA's available? Browns still have cap space.

One last point. Browns put together one hell of a coaching staff. Many feel Heckert drafted well, or are you now saying Heckert was a fake? With that point in mind, do you really think this coaching staff cannot coach up existing players better than any drafted fourth or fifth rounder?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wow.

Man I hate it when I agree with you. lol

I loved the trades, because we have a ton of youngsters on this team, and we need to really find out what we have. This draft was fairly weak, especially once you got past the 3rd round or so, and the CBs had come off the board.

Are there some quality players? Sure. Are there more quality players, likely to make a team, than "filler? I happen to think that there is more filler in this draft. Again, that's not always a bad thing, but we have guys who might be filler right now, and we need to find out about them.

Plus, as I said on another thread, if we do need to pursue a QB next year, we'll need assets to trade in order to move up to get one. We gained a couple of assets for next year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

vers, i agree...

it was a terrible draft class...

i was just hoping we could find at least a couple of playmakers... instead, i don't think we got a single player that will help us win games in 2013... not one! mingo is a project at best this year... mcfadden is 5-9 in a heels... and the rest of the picks will be lucky to make the roster...

so great, we'll have 9 picks in 2014... fabulous, open the 2014 draft board now...

because the 2013 season feels like it's over before it got started...

Wow ..... this draft was all about trying to find playmakers.

Mingo is an electric player off the snap.

McFadden fills a need, and is experienced and has proved himself against a constant barrage of passes. His hips and change of direction approach elite. They aren't quite, but they are better than solid from the videos I have watched.

Slaughter is supposed to be a very good player, with great instincts. He's coming back from injury, but if he can recover, then he might be one of the better Safeties in this draft. He's a risk, but one worth taking.

Bryant looks like a beast. He has tremendous explosion off the snap. Just incredible. He looks fast and strong, and that's what you want in a pass rusher. He's had issues, so he dropped. Is he worth a shot? Yep, because if he stays clean he could be a huge steal.

Gilkey isn't going to be a Tackle in the NFL, but he played G in the Senior Bowl, and did very well. Worth a 7th round shot? Sure. Guards sometimes take a little while to develop, so who knows?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Steelers and Colts Trade

Link Copied to Clipboard