Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The new regime doesnt know what they have. It will take a year to figure it out.
We moved up in rounds for next year when they will know what they need.
Cant judge anyone under Shurmur. Got to see for themselves

Joe Thomas #73
Rookie
Rookie
j/c...

This is a good move IMO. they can use these picks to move up next draft like was said and I would rather get players in rds 1-3 than 4 and beyond.

Who knows if they didnt try to package these picks to move up this year and nobody bit?

They may have tried to move back into the 3rd but got no response because that was were the talent was and nobody was willing to give it up.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Rookie
Rookie
First, a question...........

In the upper left corner of some posts, i see "j/c".
Can someone explain that to this old Dawg?

As to this thread- I actually like how our FO handled this draft.
I like the picks from Indy and Holesburg as I think it hurts them both next yera while helping us.

Also, yes i believe next years draft will be better. After all, it isn't too hard to know already, some of the players coming out next year.

To those of you wanting a new FO and owner alredy.... Pfft!

I'm hiding in Honduras, I'm a desperate man.
Send lawyers guns and money!

Warren Zevon
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc - just clicking,

a way to advise previous poster on thread you are NOT responding directly to him / her only adding to the thread in general.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Rookie
Rookie
Okay, cool. Thanks Texas, that helps me out a lot!
I understand the notation now AND you explained how to add my two cents.

I'm hiding in Honduras, I'm a desperate man.
Send lawyers guns and money!

Warren Zevon
Rookie
Rookie
Wait... if your an old dawg and a rookie.....

Weeden is that you?

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Wow.

I actually think those two moves were outstanding. We are moving up a round w/both picks. Additionally, this was one of the weakest draft classes I have ever witnessed. Even the best players had question marks.

Solid moves by the Browns.

Not only were they solid moves. I'd do it AGAIN next year if possible.

New England does this kinda thing all the time.

Actually, I'd make moves like this EVERY year and end up with 3 or 4 of the Top 64 players in ANY draft utilizing the previous years moves.

LOVE IT!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Still very puzzled with the trades. Deferring one year is only worth 15-20 places in the draft?

It was a great move by the team. This is a weak draft class for the most part. Why bring in guys you don't really want to cut and end up cutting guys you don't really know about? I like the fact we are going to keep some of our current players to give them the year to see what they have.

Two 3rd round picks can turn in to a 2nd and two 4th's can turn in to a 3rd, so to me, next year we will basically give up our 4th rounder for a 3rd and a 2nd rounder. Pretty good trade, no?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

It would seem they are quite satisfied with our roster as is. They feel they don't need any more young talent. This is a good thing. It means we are all set to play great football come September. At least in their minds. Banner just said in the press conference "We're not asking for a free pass this year". Well, that's good Joe, because you aren't getting one. If you don't need players, then you have NO excuse for playing poorly and come September we better SEE that on the field.

I'll give you some credit. You've been chomping on the bit to say that last sentence for a long time and you exhibited great patience.

I completely disagree w/you on how the FO views our roster. You say they are satisfied w/all the talent we have and think they can win this upcoming year. Illogical.

The fact that they traded away those picks actually indicates that they feel this team is not ready to win next year and that they are building for the long term. Banner was even quoted recently about how it won't make the fans happy, but they are making moves that ensure long-term success.

The two trades were made w/long-term success in mind. 4th and 5th round picks can be helpful to your team. However, they are not going to come in and be the DIFFERENCE between you being a good team or a bad team in their ROOKIE year.

I like the trades because we will now have higher picks in a stronger draft. Easy to understand. Solid moves. Build for the long term. Thus Spirit, your initial premise of them thinking that they already have enough talent to win this year and didn't need the picks is completely misguided.

I want to add this. I don't think either Pit or Indy are going to be great teams next year. Pit is old. They have real issues on their OL and in their secondary. Their OC and QB don't see eye-to-eye. They showed real signs of coming apart last year. They couldn't win when they had to. Indy was a team that won a lot of close games because they had a great QB and caught a little magic. However, that roster is worse than ours. I see them falling back this year. Luck will always give them a chance and they'll win some games, but I bet they are in the 6-8 win range.

Legend
Legend
I see it as if the Browns trade up and give up damn near everything to get the QB they want (lets say a 1st, 2nd, and next years 1st), having a few extra 2nd/3rd day picks will ensure that they can still add more talent and depth to the team still.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Stockpiling picks to trade up next year. Savvy move. We already have projects on the team, with quite a few new faces already.

except they need help now, what if the draft is even worse next year? going to move those picks another year and just keep picking 1-2 guys early then potentially throw away the rest of the draft? trading picks for the following year is such a crap shoot its almost a bigger one then picking players in the current draft

Jfan just said it, do you really think that what we gave up would significantly improve the team? I don't see that happening. Stockpiling for next season makes sense if you are unsure about the QB spot.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I also think these trades were a good move. It gives them more options next year to move up.New England does this all the time. I am more optimistic about this team now than I have been since the return. We are strong in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Thats how you win and the way to build a football team.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I like both trades. Good value.

I don't like Banner's comment about wanting to trade within the division. seems his assumption is that all trades are 1 winner and 1 loser. Some trades are win-win. If you can get the same value from outside the division, help someone else and don't risk helping the guys you face twice a year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just clicking.

Well, you can't argue with the fact that it gives us a LOT more incentive to beat Pittsburgh next year.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Well, you can't argue with the fact that it gives us a LOT more incentive to beat Pittsburgh twice next year.

Fixed it for ya.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

The fact that they traded away those picks actually indicates that they feel this team is not ready to win next year and that they are building for the long term. Banner was even quoted recently about how it won't make the fans happy, but they are making moves that ensure long-term success.

Please do not get me wrong, I love having the extra picks next year.

But it is hard to accept a professional football team basically admitting that the upcoming year is not about winning. They traded those picks to buy them an extra year and build in an automatic excuse for losing. I can hear the end of year pressers now: "Well, we didn't have a full compliment of draft picks...."

If they're not 100% committed to winning now, why should any of us be 100% committing to rooting for them??

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Excellent moves....You dont draft media names...you draft players

more pick for next year...did anyone notice what SF 49ers did with multiple picks....

We need to keep aquiring picks & do allit moving up next year in both 1st & 2nd round.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Because we're Browns' fans?

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't mind making value trades like this although the possible move up will not equate to one full round most likely. We'll probably be a low rounder again and both Pitt and Indy are playoff contenders. But with that said, in theory, I'm fine with it.

However, I hate the fact one of these deals was done inside of the division. I know it was the fourth round and may not end up being anything, but we handed the Steelers the player they wanted. In principle, I can't condone that.

I hate trades within the division where we move down/step aside for a rival and let them grab the best player on their board. It makes my head hurt and I wish they would have opted to make a deal with another team, which according to Banner, was available.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pittsburg missed the playoffs last year and I don't see where they got drastically better. I think Cincy will win the division and Baltimore will grab the wild card. I don't see 3 teams from our division making the playoffs again. We shall see but it might be almost a full round swing when it's all said and done.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend

Weak draft? Deep draft?

When three years go by we will know. Let's see what the players that the Steelers and Colts do?

Obviously the Browns did not have 4th or 5th round grades on the players available.

My take is they were looking for insurance. Meaning they turned their back on the quarterbacks in this draft. They made those trades to have more leverage next year if Weeden bombs.

The logic is reasonable.

The truth lies in their evaluation of this years talent. How does the players available when the Browns picked perform?

The Browns turned their back on Barkley, Nassib, Wilson, Jones, and Matt Scott. As well as the rest in this years QB class including Geno Smith.

Hard to believe that between Barkley, Nassib, Wilson and Jones that not one was worth a fourth rounder.

In my opinion any one of those guys would be an upgrade over Weeden. Let alone getting Geno in the second.

Time will tell.

My take at this point in time is horrible draft. I think they missed the boat all over the board.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

At first I was frustrated by these moves but I've had some time to reconsider. In the context of what Banner says is their approach to building the team these deals are completely consistent with that philosophy. As fans,at times, our thinking is often too linear and superficial, The team had the picks so by this fact alone they must be used immediately to select players. But if you're using a multi-year approach then you can be more strategic and create more favorable conditions for acquiring players.

We may not actually select players at these slots next year. They might also serve as collateral to allow the team to move into position to select a "special" player that they want to add to the roster. Again to avoid being overly superficial that "special" player may or may not be a QB.

The jury is still out on this one so, I won't run around as if my hair is on fire before knowing how it all shakes out.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Pittsburg missed the playoffs last year and I don't see where they got drastically better. I think Cincy will win the division and Baltimore will grab the wild card. I don't see 3 teams from our division making the playoffs again. We shall see but it might be almost a full round swing when it's all said and done.

If you have a franchise QB, you're almost always a contender. Pittsburgh has that with the possibility of increasing his protection with DeCastro and Adams. Not too mention they're getting Troy back and replaced Harrison with Jarvis Jones.

This isn't a sure recipe for the playoffs but everyone always says Pitt is on the downside....and how do they normally respond?

This is the first time the Steelers have given away a future pick since the 1970s....there is something they must like about this player and we gave it to them on a silver platter. I don't like that one bit.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/28/13 10:11 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Hello all....

I signed up just to join this thread. I thought these trades were excellent moves and i'm pretty disappointed by the abject negativity. It seems to be negativity just for negativity's sake...

First, for those saying this is not a full-round move, you're forgetting that there are compensatory picks at the ends of the 3rd and 4th rounds. Accordingly, even if the Browns were the worst team in the league (which they won't be) and the Steelers or Colts won the Super Bowl (which they won't), the moves are worth several spots. The difference between the Steelers' 3rd and the Browns' 4th this year was 25 spots. The difference between the Colts' 4th and the Browns' 5th was 18.

Nobody (except a pessimistic Browns' fan) is assuming the Steelers or Colts will be contenders or that the Browns will be as bad as they were in 2012. Accordingly, these picks "should" be at least a full round ahead of where the Browns would have picked. The Steelers and Colts should both be picking in the middle of the rounds, with the Steelers potentially picking in the top 10.

Furthermore, who did you expect to get in the 4th or 5th rounds that would be better than a 3rd and 4th next year? The Colts drafted some dude named Montori Hughes out of Tennessee-Martin. If the Browns had drafted that guy, are you telling me you would not have immediately traded him for a 4th round draft pick in next year's draft? Are you really that high on Montori Hughes?

The same could be said of the safety from Syracuse that the Steelers drafted. As pessimistic Browns fans, we call him the "heir apparent to Polamalu." Of course. I, however, see a 4th round safety from Syracuse whom I would have traded for a 3rd round pick any day of the week.

The 4th and 5th rounds are crap shoots. This is where we get the Martin Ruckers, Owen Marecics, Kaluka Maiavas, and Ryan Millers of the world. I would love to unload any of those guys for a 3rd round draft pick.

What I see here is that the Browns (for once) got themselves a sucker. They found two teams enamored with certain players that they thought might (but probably won't) pan out. If Thomas turns into a serviceable safety for the Steelers, great. But he's not the next Polamalu and he'll never be worth a 3rd round pick in trade again. His upside is Earl Little. And this guy Hughes will be a career backup (which is not a putdown--- that's what you expect from a 5th round pick).

This is the first time since 1973 that the Steelers traded a future pick. They didn't do that because they know Thomas is the next Polamalu. They did it because they were desperate in the face of a closing window.

The goal in drafting is to get as many picks in Rounds 1-3 as you can. We now have 4 picks in that range for next year and gave up nothing of value to get there. Also, we now have two 4th round picks--- those two can be packaged for a 3rd or can be used (individually) to help us move from the 2nd round into the late 1st.

Let go of the pessimism-- these were great trades. We definitely got the better end of these deals. We sold some magic beans to some desperate teams in exchange for things that can be spun into gold if used right.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stockpiling picks to trade up next year. Savvy move. We already have projects on the team, with quite a few new faces already.

except they need help now, what if the draft is even worse next year? going to move those picks another year and just keep picking 1-2 guys early then potentially throw away the rest of the draft? trading picks for the following year is such a crap shoot its almost a bigger one then picking players in the current draft

Jfan just said it, do you really think that what we gave up would significantly improve the team? I don't see that happening. Stockpiling for next season makes sense if you are unsure about the QB spot.

This ^

The FO is planning for the future. There are few players picked in the 4th and 5th rounds that make drastic differences in your team's overall performance. Everybody can name a few exceptions; however, in general, players chosen in later rounds are developmental guys that take time before their contributions make an impact.

With a change over in regimes and a weak draft, Lombardi actually did the right thing by investing in the future over drafting a lot of question marks just because he was on the clock.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If you have a franchise QB, you're almost always a contender. Pittsburgh has that with the possibility of increasing his protection with DeCastro and Adams. Not too mention they're getting Troy back and replaced Harrison with Jarvis Jones.

This isn't a sure recipe for the playoffs but everyone always says Pitt is on the downside....and how do they normally respond?

This is the first time they've given away a future pick since the 1970s....there is something they must like about this player and we gave it to them on a silver platter. I don't like that one bit.

Jones has injury question marks, Decastro only played 4 games last year, Adams looked horrible and Big Ben has been getting banged up the last few years with his playing style of taking unnecessary hits. We shall see what happens this year.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

jc...

It looks like the Browns draft team was outmaneuvered by the Seahawks in the 5th round and once the Seahawks picked the guy our brain trust was counting on getting, Banner and Lombardi had no backup pick/plan, so they punted, preferring to wait till next year.

When it happened the first time, in the 4th round, I didn't know what to think...maybe there is bigger deal going down and this strange move is part of it...but there was no deal brewing that could explain trading away our 4th and 5th round picks..un freaking real...I've never seen anything like it.

It was bizarre to say the least..never seen a team that was building via the draft, not try to build through the draft.

Are the Browns so talented that we didn't need all our draft picks in 2013?...

Maybe there wasn't enough talent left on the board in the 4th round and 5th rounds?

NFL Draft: Browns trade 5th round pick to Colts for 4th rounder in 2014

April 27, 2013 by Ryan Jones

The Browns have traded away a pick for the second time in the 2013 draft, sending their 2013 5th rounder to Indianapolis in exchange for the Colts’ 4th round pick in 2013. The Browns now have traded out of the 2013 draft twice in favor of adding a higher valued pick in 2014. Cleveland also tradrf their 4th round selection for Pittsburgh’s 3rd rounder next year.

This is frustrating for Browns fans who see lots of holes on the team’s roster and want them filled immediately.Through five rounds Cleveland has only added three players, the two selections of Barkevious Mingo and Leon McFadden, and Davone Bess through a trade with Miami.

Seattle traded up two picks ahead of Cleveland at 139 to give them both picks 137 and 138, selecting DT Jesse Williams out of Alabama and CB Tharold Simon out of LSU. Simon, a teammate of Browns’ first round selection Barkevious Mingo at LSU was thought to be a possible target of Cleveland who despite drafting Leon McFadden in the 3rd round is still weak at cornerback.

web page

Last edited by mac; 04/28/13 10:29 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Welcome to the board! Nice first post. Some thought and reasoning was involved.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

Excellent moves....You dont draft media names...you draft players

more pick for next year...did anyone notice what SF 49ers did with multiple picks....

We need to keep aquiring picks & do allit moving up next year in both 1st & 2nd round.

I agree. I think this shows that Banner and Co have a plan. They assume they will be hear next year so they are building a contender.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It looks like the Browns draft team was outmaneuvered by the Seahawks in the 5th round and once the Seahawks picked the guy our brain trust was counting on getting, Banner and Lombardi had no backup pick/plan, so they punted, preferring to wait till next year.

I didn't see any article about that. Did that actually take place or did you just decide it was the case? Just wondering

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

I actually think those two moves were outstanding. We are moving up a round w/both picks. Additionally, this was one of the weakest draft classes I have ever witnessed. Even the best players had question marks.

Solid moves by the Browns.

Vers, we are not moving up one round, we are lucky if we move up half a round.

Well, we drafted a starting CB on the 3rd round, so I don't think our FO though the draft was weak. Actually most of the drafts look the same after the 4th round, its just a question of having an eye for talent and being prepared, which I think we weren't.

The trades are so completely STUPID that I'm really puzzled, honestly...

I have to disagree, the Browns traded away a 4th and 5th this year to gain a 3rd and 4th next year. How nice will it be to have two 3rd and two 4th next year?

I think these were great moves, so the Browns missed out on some depth players this year while gaining and extra starter next year.

Lets say next year the Browns like a player that is just out of reach of drafting, they now have the fire power to move up and get him and still have day two picks.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Furthermore, who did you expect to get in the 4th or 5th rounds that would be better than a 3rd and 4th next year? The Colts drafted some dude named Montori Hughes out of Tennessee-Martin. If the Browns had drafted that guy, are you telling me you would not have immediately traded him for a 4th round draft pick in next year's draft? Are you really that high on Montori Hughes?

The same could be said of the safety from Syracuse that the Steelers drafted. As pessimistic Browns fans, we call him the "heir apparent to Polamalu." Of course. I, however, see a 4th round safety from Syracuse whom I would have traded for a 3rd round pick any day of the week.

The 4th and 5th rounds are crap shoots. This is where we get the Martin Ruckers, Owen Marecics, Kaluka Maiavas, and Ryan Millers of the world. I would love to unload any of those guys for a 3rd round draft pick.

I'm assuming your questions aren't rhetorical.

Montori Hughes is a baller. He can play any position in an odd front. He will start for Indy this year. That's not just me that thinks this, Mayock said at the combine he could be a second rounder.

As far as the fourth round pick, I'm not as high on Shamarko as more people, but when you have the NCAA reigning interceptions leader at a position you have no starter for, how do you not take Phillip thomas? Marcus lattimore and Quinton Patton were available as well.

That's where you get maiava, Marecic, and miller if you suck at drafting.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I like the trades. No guarantee the Steelers or Colts will be playoff teams in 2013. In fact, my hunch is that both will miss the playoffs. Colts having the better shot at making them.

I will take the additional third rounder and fourth rounder every time.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I have to disagree, the Browns traded away a 4th and 5th this year to gain a 3rd and 4th next year. How nice will it be to have two 3rd and two 4th next year?

I think these were great moves, so the Browns missed out on some depth players this year while gaining and extra starter next year.

Lets say next year the Browns like a player that is just out of reach of drafting, they now have the fire power to move up and get him and still have day two picks.

It will be nice having those extra 3rd and 4th picks. There is no question about that. Particularly the third...it is very valuable. But we take a huge risk accepting that while giving the Steelers a player they obviously liked. Let's hope it flops for them...We will make out like bandits.

I also believe there is a chance the coaching staff and FO aren't fully sure about the current depth on this team and allowing some players more time in this new system (on offense and defense) allows them to make more informed decisions for 2014. Punting, while improving, some draft picks into the future may allow a couple more roster spot for second, possibly third year guys they're on the fence about. Let's be real, this team isn't expected to make the playoffs and this additional time will make all parties in the organization feel better about future moves after having the chance to evaluate current talent already on the roster.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/28/13 11:00 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I also believe there is a chance the coaching staff and FO aren't fully sure about the current depth on this team and allowing some players more time in this new system (on offense and defense) allows them to make more informed decisions for 2014. Punting, while improving, some draft picks into the future may allow a couple more roster spot for second, possibly third year guys they're on the fence about. Let's be real, this team isn't expected to make the playoffs and this additional time will make all parties in the organization feel better about future moves after having the chance to evaluate current talent already on the roster.

Exactly. They get to evaluate the guys they have within their system. They can see who will fit, and who will not.

The one area, specifically, that we lacked on this team, was OLB/pass rushers for the 3-4. Man did we address that in spades. We added Kruger, Groves, Mingo, and Bryant. We also improved the DL with the Bryant signing. Frankly, I love our front 7.

We have so many young, inexperienced players scattered throughout the roster that it really doesn't make a lot of sense to throw more young, inexperienced players of similar skills/talent on to the same pile. We need to find out what we have as opposed to just adding to the pile. If the team didn't see players available in the 4th/5th rounds who were a sure improvement over what they have, then why spend draft picks just to use them? I love the trades for future (higher) picks)

For all of the fear and trepidation over what this regime would do .... I am pretty happy with what they have done. Now it just has to translate to the field.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't see any article about that. Did that actually take place or did you just decide it was the case? Just wondering

Daman...so it's just me being too hard on Banner and Lombardi, right ???

Trade with Steelers tops one of Browns' strangest draft days

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer

BEREA — Joe Banner is a plucky little cuss.

He boldly went where no Browns personnel man has gone before (at least not since 1968).

“I prefer to trade within the division,” the Browns’ CEO said after a strange closing day of the NFL draft. “You don’t make a trade if you don’t think you’re winning it. If you win a trade within your division, you’re obviously better off than winning a trade within another division.”

Such a tricky 2013 draft.

It occasioned the first Browns-Steelers trade since the year Richard Nixon edged Hubert Humphrey in a presidential election — the year Rob Chudzinski was born.

It was the first time Pittsburgh traded a future draft pick since the year Nixon resigned during his second term.

But then, it was the first time the Browns have conducted a draft under an owner who recently sold his share in the Steelers and is swimming in a federal investigation.

Unpredictability was predictable from a Browns draft room staffed by five men who were all someplace else at draft time last year.

Who knew “unpredictable” would translate to:

• Just two new players within the first 174 picks.

• A safety (Jamoris Slaughter, No. 175) who blew out an Achilles in September.

• A linebacker (Armonty Bryant, Round 7) busted for selling marijuana in October.

• That Pittsburgh trade.

With owner Jimmy Haslam’s on-premises approval, Banner opted to further test the patience of fans who already have suffered through five years of 23-57.

They, in consort with general manager Michael Lombardi, assistant GM Ray Horton and head coach Chudzinski, got through three days opting not to:

• Move down in Round 1 and replenish a lost Round 2 pick.

• Pick at No. 111 (Round 4), instead trading the pick to, yes, Pittsburgh, in exchange for the Steelers’ Round 3 pick in 2014.

• Pick at No. 139 (Round 5), taking a 2014 Round 4 pick from the Colts.

That left linebacker Barkevious Mingo at No. 6 and cornerback Leon McFadden at No. 68 as the team’s only picks until No. 175.

Analyst Mike Mayock, who worked with Lombardi at NFL Network, took a shot at reading the collective mind of the Browns’ brass as to deferring picks to next year.

“We’re kind of building with a three- to five-year plan here,” Mayock said.

That’s a miserable thought for Browns fans who have lived through five years in which the record was 4-12 or 5-11.

“Listen,” Banner said, “we’re not asking for a free pass for this year. We expect to improve. We expect it to be conspicuous.

“We’re not gonna reach all of our goals or fill all our needs this year, but I think we’ll be exciting and I think we’ll position ourselves well to become very good and sustain it.”

Chudzinski absorbed that thought from a perch beside Banner in the Browns’ fieldhouse, then said:

“Our goal is to win and it always will be. We’ll approach it from that standpoint.”

Elsewhere on the “opted not to” front, the Browns didn’t draft a quarterback. Neither, though, did they name Brandon Weeden the starter.

Chudzinski deflected the direct question: Is Weeden the starter?

“We feel good about the group we have,” he said. “How that all plays out, we’ll see in time. I’m excited about Brandon and the progress he’s made thus far. I’m also pleased with Jason in the role he’s taken.”

He stopped short of explaining that role.

As to weaving through the draft without picks in Round 2, 4 and 5, Banner said it was all part of the grand scheme. Friday trade pick-up Davone Bess is better than a draft pick in important ways, he suggested. Another wideout, Josh Gordon, stands a good chance to be worth the second-round pick it cost to get him.

And, as Banner said at the top, that deal wasn’t made to help Pittsburgh. It was made to beat Pittsburgh.

Something in the tough little cuss’s bearing was very convincing. At the very least, Banner seemed convinced.

Reach Steve at 330-580-8347 or steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

web page

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's like Banner said mac, and even though it was Banner who said it, it is still true, you don't make ANY deal unless you think you're getting the better end of the bargain. So, if you do get the better of the deal you've just made your team stronger and your division opponent weaker. One can hardly fault the logic in that.

Of course, it's left to be seen who got the better end of the deal.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There really is something to be said for what Banner said about trading within the division. He's right. You want to win on all trades ...... so why not win against one of your primary rivals?

Obviously, the risk is that you wind up with a "double loss" .... but I like the confident approach. Let's stop running from the Steelers. Let's start beating them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
If we trade away all our picks..

How will people complain about who we picked?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Rookie
Rookie
Ya, I like this +1

- Isaac Asimov
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Steelers and Colts Trade

Link Copied to Clipboard