Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Then the Weeden chapter will be closed for good and we can move on.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Indeed.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If you are in position to draft a premium QB, I believe that you have to take it. (especially on a team like ours that has been starved for quality starting QB play)

I agree. You can always trade a QB at a permium, because there is always going to be somebody like us who needs one.

That said....I'd take Clowney over anybody. He is the player. A once every 40 years guy.....yes, I say 40 years. He throws the best of the SEC around like they are rag dolls.

Think Bruce Smith/LeRoy Selmon wrapped in to one.....maybe a little Randy White to boot. The guy looks like a good college player playing against a JV football team.

He does what he wants most of the time. Factor in he does it against top competition week after week and that tells me he is "The Deal".

Check this out....just look for the guy in Red who looks way bigger than anyone else , then watch him blow up the play....those with a eye will spot him inside 2 seconds.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

Jadaveon Clowney, barring SERIOUS injury, will go #1, that's a given.

Guys we should be looking at are :

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon

If Weeden fails this year, which I really don't think he will, and we do have to go QB, I'm not a fan of Teddy Bridgewater AT ALL.

Tahj Boy, QB, Clemson
Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU

will all be better pros than Bridgewater, IMO.

Zach Mettenbeger? Hahaha.

The other 2 are debatable but Mettenberger is a straight up scrub.

Teddy Bridgewater will be by far the best QB coming out IMO. I like Tahj Boyd but he is inconsistent and his stats are boosted by his offense using a bunch of screens and stuff. Teddy Bridgewater actually runs a real offense. Not one of those gimmicky college offenses that are great for college football but don't translate well to the NFL.

And I don't think Johnny Manziel will be any good at all in the NFL.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Great hit. But the overall play was way over hyped. He was completely unblocked.

But don't get me wrong it was a GREAT hit especially considering the situation and what happened on the prior play.

And yeah I don't know if I could pass on this man because he is a BEAST. Will be a once in a lifetime player. The question is do you think he would fit at a 3-4 OLB?

Seems more like a true 4-3 DE.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I'm sorry the more I watched that play it is not at all overhyped. Just a man destroying a bunch of children.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

If you are in position to draft a premium QB, I believe that you have to take it. (especially on a team like ours that has been starved for quality starting QB play)

I agree. You can always trade a QB at a permium, because there is always going to be somebody like us who needs one.

That said....I'd take Clowney over anybody. He is the player. A once every 40 years guy.....yes, I say 40 years. He throws the best of the SEC around like they are rag dolls.

Think Bruce Smith/LeRoy Selmon wrapped in to one.....maybe a little Randy White to boot. The guy looks like a good college player playing against a JV football team.

He does what he wants most of the time. Factor in he does it against top competition week after week and that tells me he is "The Deal".

Check this out....just look for the guy in Red who looks way bigger than anyone else , then watch him blow up the play....those with a eye will spot him inside 2 seconds.

Funny you should bring up the game vs. that team up north, because outside of that play, Clowney got his ass handed to him the entire game.

I'm not denying the guy's talent, but you are clearly overstating it. If you have the choice between Bridgewater and Clowney next year, you gotta go Bridgewater.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you don't have a franchise QB you need to get one. If there is one available and you have the need it precedes every other need or player.

(Not saying there is a franchise QB available next year, just in general.)

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
5 tackles isn't exactly getting owned for a DE.

you had a good run Hank.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If tackles were any indication whatsoever of how good a DE is you'd have a point. But it's not.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Let's play the card that we are NOT drafting in the Top 3. Which means Weeden was solid. And I expect this to be the case. We win 8 games and sit 15th in the draft order.

You're NOT getting one of these guys at 15. No possible way if everyone thinks these guys are as good as a Franchise QB.

So. Weeden sits well in this offense that is tailored to his talent. We win 8 games. Are you willing to spend what it takes in draft picks to package a move up for a QB? And I'm talking to the #1 or #2 spots. And you can BANK that it will cost us our 2015 and 2016 1st rounders. PLUS.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

If Brandon Weeden does do well and we're able to win 6 or 7 games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my biggest fear....that Weeden will have a mediocre or slightly better year. We still won't know what we've got, and he'll be 32 with question marks the following year. I sincerely hope he either lights it up or falls flat on his face.

I agree, but keep in mind that Weeden could have a great year and the team could still only win 6 or 7 games. QB is only 1 of several positions that are questionable at this point.

As for Y-Town's post above, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a QB high next year (unless Weeden lights it up this year), but it would never be with the idea to sit him for 5 years. If you take a QB in the first round, I feel he should sit no more than 1. Best case scenario, you have trade bait in either the young guy or Weeden.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

we are NOT drafting in the Top 3. Which means Weeden was solid.

I like the prospects of Weeden...but last year as a rookie he didn't play well at all. And we picked #6 Overall. Too many dawgs believe all the Bozos who tell us that the Browns are #32 or #31 in the NFL...and yet there we are not playing to our best n we are #27. Don't get me wrong I ain't bragging about being # freaking 27 What I am saying is our team is young has some talent even without a Franchise QB WE JUST WON'T BE DRAFTING #1 or #2!

More than likely Bridgewater will be drafted Overall #1. Clowney or another QB #2 all depending who is there an who needs a QB. If there are legit Top 5 QBs they will go as it is the position that is the top priority for those who don't have. We aren't the Colts who SandBag a season at the right time to get a great QB. We fight too hard not to be the worst team and usually win just enough games to do just that.

At our worst case scenario - You can still forget Overall #1 or #2.

Best case scenario is to have Weeden do well n progress....somewhere in our drafting over the next 5 years a Good Prospect Steal will fall to us where we pull the trigger...2 - 4 rounds and we develop him with no rush as we have a Weeden playing well. Similar to a Kaepernick type of situation. Cause we just will not be that TEAM who needs a QB n are picking Overall #1 with a stud QB there for us...or a Clowney.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I'm sorry the more I watched that play it is not at all overhyped. Just a man destroying a bunch of children.

It was overhyped because the TE completely ignored him. It was even discussed after the game. Lewan, who handled Clowney pretty much all game, changed the blocking and the TE didn't hear him, so both players thought the other was picking him up.

Great hit and he is incredibly quick, but Clowney didn't do much that play other than run full speed ahead and blast a RB who is 5'5" and 170lbs.

Legend
Legend

First off it is my belief that the Browns will be in the quarterback market next year.

Weeden should show some improvement but in the end the talent is not there. The experiment will end.

Of course it is very early. A whole season to look out the windshield. I have watched some tape on three quarterbacks: Bridgewater, Boyd, and David Fales. Not enough to truly evaluate anybody.

First glance:

Boyd has quick feet and moves very well. Very athletic guy.

Bridgewater, watched a game against Florida. Very impressive. Big strong guy with a big arm.

Fales, watched a game against Stanford. Some good things, some bad. Need to see more of this guy.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

First off it is my belief that the Browns will be in the quarterback market next year.

Weeden should show some improvement but in the end the talent is not there. The experiment will end.

Of course it is very early. A whole season to look out the windshield. I have watched some tape on three quarterbacks: Bridgewater, Boyd, and David Fales. Not enough to truly evaluate anybody.

First glance:

Boyd has quick feet and moves very well. Very athletic guy.

Bridgewater, watched a game against Florida. Very impressive. Big strong guy with a big arm.

Fales, watched a game against Stanford. Some good things, some bad. Need to see more of this guy.

I agree I think we will be in the QB market, unless Weeden plays AMAZING. I think even if he plays decent or good and we win 7-8 games, I think the new regime will still want to draft "their guy".

Which Im not opposed to. Because with Weedens age, he will not be able to grow and progress with the rest of our young team. I kind of see him as a stop gap QB until we find the right one. But I think that we need to find the RIGHT one.

I like Weeden, but his age really makes me wonder why we would take him in the 1st round. If he were 5 years younger I would understand because I like his arm talent. But drafting a 30 year old in the first round is just idiotic to me. Your pretty much banking on him coming in and being good right away. Not giving him much room to progress in the NFL.

But I do think Weeden will be MUCH better this season in this offense, and hopefully Trent will step up. Nobody talks about it but Trent has a lot of proving to do this season. As far as Im concerned he was a much bigger disappointment last year than Weeden considering we got him at #3.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
j/c

Two not-so-bold predictions:

1. Teddy Bridgewater goes #1 over Clowney because potential franchise QBs are more important to a team's success than all-time great DE/OLBs.

2. Anthony Barr is RG3 to Clowney's Luck and ends up having a comparable career. Barr is an absolute physical freak (smaller than Clowney but a bit faster) and is significantly more productive in college even though he's only been playing defense for one year. Clowney will go above him no matter what (similar to Luck), but thus far, Barr has been the better player and has just as much upside.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

...And with ^that^ in mind:

'Cleveland Browns should take notice of bumper crop of college QBs in 2014: Doug Lesmerises analysis'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/05/cleveland_browns_should_take_n.html

Note: There is videos at the above link.

By Doug Lesmerises, The Plain Dealer on May 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM, updated May 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

OLUMBUS, Ohio -- Two college football teams have the best chance to make it through the 2013 season undefeated, thanks to solid talent, and more importantly, easy schedules.

Football fans in Ohio will have reason to watch both of them. One is Ohio State, home of Urban Meyer and Braxton Miller. The other is Louisville, home of Teddy Bridgewater, who should be on the radar to become the Browns' franchise quarterback.

By the 2014 draft, it will be past time for the Browns to take a shot at grabbing an elite QB, something they haven't tried since drafting Tim Couch with the first pick in 1999. And Bridgewater, for now, looks like the best option as a savior behind center.

Draft analyst Dane Brugler of CBSSports.com has released his early look at the top 50 prospects for next year and among quarterbacks has Bridgewater at No. 2 and Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd at No. 10.

Chris Burke at SI.com compiled his mock draft and put Bridgewater at No. 2, Boyd at No. 3, UCLA's Brett Hundley at No. 9 and Texas A&M Heisman winner Johnny Manziel at No. 18.

Pete Prisco, also of CBSSports.com, has Bridgewater at No. 1 in his mock, Boyd at No. 5 and David Fales of San Jose State at No. 16. Mel Kiper of ESPN has Bridgewater at No. 2 on his board of draft prospects for 2014, with Boyd at 21 and Manziel at 25.

By next April, the names will change. At least some of them. The year before his senior season, everyone knew Andrew Luck was going to be the No. 1 pick. No one knew Robert Griffin III was going to be No. 2.

In his senior season, Matt Barkley went from a franchise quarterback to a fourth-round afterthought. But the lack of quarterback interest in the first round in 2013 was unusual. In the previous 12 drafts, the first quarterback came off the board no later than the third pick.

It's time for the Browns to join that world again. Almost every other team has.

In the 14 NFL drafts since Couch was taken, 29 quarterbacks -- including E.J. Manuel, taken 16th by the Bills last month -- have been taken before the 20th pick. That's a bit of a arbitrary number, but it shows some dedication to taking a quarterback, as opposed to the Browns sort of falling into Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden in the 20s in 2007 and 2012. Neither was even the Browns' first pick those years.

So they weren't the first priority.

Those 29 quarterbacks have been taken by 23 different teams. So in the last 14 years, only nine NFL teams haven't taken a real shot at a QB in the draft? Why? Seven of the nine managed to find quarterbacks through other avenues:

• New England (drafted Tom Brady in the sixth round);

• Green Bay (drafted Aaron Rodgers with the 28th pick);

• New Orleans (traded for Drew Brees);

• Chicago (traded for Jay Cutler);

• Dallas (hit on Tony Romo as an undrafted free agent);

• Philadelphia (drafted Donovan McNabb No. 2 in 1999, before our timeframe, then signed Michael Vick); and

• Seattle (hit on Russell Wilson as a third-round pick last year).

The other two are the Kansas City Chiefs and the Browns. Those two are a combined 48-112 over the last five years.

The Chiefs had the No. 1 pick this year and certainly would have taken a quarterback if there was one worth taking. It was their bad luck to hit rock bottom going into the worst QB draft since Chad Pennington was the first one taken at No. 18 in 2000. So Kansas City traded for former 49ers starter and overall No. 1 pick Alex Smith instead.

As for the Browns?

There is only one season to not take a quarterback very, very high in 2014. Brandon Weeden must be great this year. Not good. But carry-the-team great, no-doubt-he's-our-guy great.

Otherwise, the Browns should sell out to get a quarterback in 2014.

They've dabbled with Quinn and Colt McCoy and Weeden, expending valuable picks that could have provided starters at other positions. But they haven't gone all in on the most important position on the field since the Clinton years.

They've spent top-10 picks on the three other most important positions on the field:

• Left tackle (Joe Thomas, No. 3 in 2007);

• Shutdown corner (Joe Haden, No. 7 in 2010); and

• Pass rusher (Barkevious Mingo No. 6 this year, Courtney Brown No. 1 in 2000).

They've also tried a top-10 pick at every other offensive skill position:

• Running back (Trent Richardson, No. 3 in 2012);

• Receiver (Braylon Edwards, No. 3 in 2005); and

• Tight end (Kellen Winslow Jr, No. 6 in 2004).

They drafted defensive tackle Gerard Warren No. 3 in 2001, and traded the No. 5 pick in 2009 to draft center Alex Mack at No. 21. They traded the No. 6 pick in 2011 to draft defensive tackle Phil Taylor at No. 21. That's seven top-10 picks since Couch, and two others traded away. So nine shots, no quarterbacks.

While Couch was still proving whether he could be the guy, or not proving it, it made sense not to draft another quarterback with a high pick. But he hasn't been on the roster since 2003. While the Browns have since used 14 other quarterbacks -- Jeff Garcia and Trent Dilfer and Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson and Quinn and McCoy and Weeden -- they've passed on taking a quarterback high in the draft.

Certainly, not every QB drafted before pick No. 20 in the last 13 years has worked. David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Matt Leinart and JaMarcus Russell have flamed out. At least those teams took a shot. 'Tis better to try for a franchise quarterback and miss than never to have tried at all.

Too many people point to the high-pick busts and think waiting for the late-round magic of Brady or Russell Wilson is the path to success. It's not. That's just luck.

The path to success is to target your guy, make your pick early and get your quarterback.

Vick, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Smith, Cutler, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Luck, Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill have all turned into starting QBs after going in the top 20, to varying degrees of success.

But, for instance, do you think Sanchez -- taken with the No. 5 pick in 2009 that the Browns traded to the Jets -- is a bust? He's 33-29 as a starter in his four seasons in New York and reached two AFC title games. The Browns have won 19 games the last four years.

So this is overdue.

A 6-3, 220-pound Miami native, Bridgewater has two years of starting experience entering his junior season. He threw for 3,718 yards last year with 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions while completing 68.5 percent of his throws. It's reasonable to think he'll come out early if he's a top-10 pick. He's got the size and the tools.

Heisman winner Manziel is a completely different quarterback. At 6-1 and 200 pounds, and playing against better competition in the SEC, he threw for 3,706 yards with 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He completed 68 percent of his passes, and rushed for 1,409 yards and 21 touchdowns. Though he became the first freshman to win the Heisman, he was a redshirt freshman, so this will be his third season of college football. That means he could declare for the 2014 draft.

Whether it's one of them, or Boyd or Hundley or Fales or Georgia's Aaron Murray, some quarterback will emerge and be worth the risk.

It should be the Browns' risk.

The good news is that South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is projected as the overall No. 1 pick. He'll be the guy. So the whole league won't be clamoring and climbing over each other for the best quarterback. But after taking Mingo, how could the Browns take Clowney?

By trading in this draft for an extra third-round pick and extra fourth-round pick in 2014, the Browns may already be gearing up to do what it takes to get their quarterback next year. This isn't a "Tank for Teddy" situation.

It's a "Be Ready to Get Your Quarterback" situation, no matter what the Browns' record is this season or what draft spot they get.

In 2012, it cost Washington a second-round pick and two future first-round picks to move up from No. 6 to No. 2 to take RG3. Worth it.

If it comes to it, it's time for the Browns to be that bold.

Actually, it's past time.

(end)

Legend
Legend
J/C

Terrell Suggs is the most dominating college DE I've ever seen.

Legend
Legend
I'm not sure what the guy is really trying to say here.

The Browns took Couch with the 1st overall pick in 1999.

They took Spergon Wynn in the 6th in 2000.

They did not take a QB in the 2001 and 2002 drafts. They tried the veteran Holcomb in 2003.

In 2004 the Browns brought in Jeff Garcia. In 2005 they brought in Trent Dilfer. Each QB was a reasonable option at the time. In addition to Dilfer, the Browns also drafted Charlie Frye in the 3rd round in 2005.

In 2006, we signed DA, IN 2007 we drafted Brady Quinn in the 1st round, and DA set the world on fire, before flaming out.

In 2008 and 2009, we were trying to find out about Quinn. In 2010, we drafted Colt McCoy, who the "experts" swore was an incredible steal in the 3rd round.

We then drafted Brandon Weeden in 2012.

So, from 1999 to 2012, the Browns drafted 3 different QB in the 1st round. They drafted 2 others in the 3rd round.

The signed veterans Garcia and Dilfer. (and Delhomme, for that matter)

The Browns also tried developing backups to become starters in DA and Holcomb.

However, disregarding those 2, the Browns, in 14 seasons, drafted 3 QB in the 1st round, signed a starting caliber QB in Jeff Garcia, and 2 other veterans in Dilfer and Delhomme. (each brought in to start) That is a significant investment in the QB position in 6 of 14 seasons. How many more QB should we have thrown on the pile?

The writer says that we are one of only 2 teams that " haven't taken a real shot at a QB in the draft". We spent 3 1st round picks on the QB position between 1999 and 2012. Even only counting those1st round picks, that's 3 taken in 14 drafts. How many more should we have taken? 4? 5? 10? Further, I'm not sure that taking a QB at #20 gives you a much better chance than taking one at 22. I also don't know what QBs he wanted the Browns to take?

In 2000, the Browns had Couch, and the only 1st round QB was Chad Pennington.

In 2001, the only 1st round QB was Vick, taken 2 spots before the Browns pick.

In 2002, David Carr and Joey Harrington came off the board prior to our pick. (Yea!) The other 1st round QB was Patrick Ramsey.

2003 saw Carson Palmer go 1st, Byron Leftwich go 7th, Kyle Boller go 19, Rex Grossman go 22, and Palmer, who was out of reach, was the only one I would want to have picked.

What about 2004? Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers went off the board before the Browns pick. They had no shot at either. The Browns could have, and probably, in retrospect, should have taken Roethlisberger. Other than that, the otther 1st round QB was Losman.

I'm not going to go through the rest of the drafts, but in many drafts the Browns simply did not have anyone to pick if they wanted a 1st round QB. They missed on Roethlisberger. That's a legitimate miss. Other than that, in the drafts I just outlined, they simply didn't have anyone to pick.

Further, when you pick a guy in the 1st round, you have to give him a chance before you jettison him for the next big thing.Through Brady Quinn, 1st round QB were more expensive. Couch received a 7 year, $48 million deal. (and that was 1999) The salary cap in 1999 was somewhere around $58 million. That was a consideration in each year until the new CBA took effect.

I do think that we should take a top QB if we have the chance to do so in this coming draft. I think that the value to the Browns is there. Even if the QB we take isn't our long term guy, he could have huge value in a trade.

I also had to laugh when the guy brought up Sanchez. A winner? Really? He was Alex Smith. He had a great run game and a great defense. When the jets tried to rely upon him more, he collapsed. Bleh. He would have been an even bigger bust here than he was in NY. If Sanchez is a pillar of QB virtue, then I want to live a very un-virtuous life.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Only in Cleveland......the Sunday after the draft we're already thinking about next year's.

There are many sites projecting ahead at this time..Guess what? Scouts and GM's start looking at the next draft class very early.
Next class will be better and the Browns will be loaded with ammo to help themselves.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
They're looking at those underclassmen at the same time they're scouting for the current draft. As you know, at the NFL level, there's no way to be proficient at evaluations if you take it one draft class at a time.

By the time the NFL regular season's over they've got their board set for the upcoming draft. Of course the tweak it and second guess themselves constantly but the board is effectively set.

They bring in some college players for a workout, not because they intend to draft a particular player but to get a good, close look at him for any future considerations.

Same with current pro players. They evaluate absolutely everyone under contract, their current contract status and how they could fit our own team. You can't wait until a need arises then go scrambling to find and evaluate someone to fill the need.

I'm sure they have their short list of players who will become FA next year and even the year after that. Maybe beyond, for players to keep an eye on.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Exactly. For these guys it never stops. It really can't if you want to get the leg up on the prospects.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We don't have any big time college programs around us...I know you OSU guys don't want to here this but cause of kids when they were young n their love for X-men...they started following the Wolverines...lol

Still we don't have a program that we follow real close. As a kid I always like LB u Penn State n Oklahoma Sooners.

But now I watch (DVR) college games mostly to see Individual Players...oh I enjoy the game I don't claim to be a scout of any sort. But I would like to watch games in hopes of finding the perfect prospect for my beloved Browns. I loved Greg Pruitt - I wanted us to get Leroy Hoard...those were draft day happiness for me. But I didn't really follow the draft stuff as a kid. Now I do thanks to the Internet I like others are better educated.

So in my Long winded way...I'm trying to state - Thanks for this thread hopefully it will be Archived (hint hint ) So that when Sept comes around we can look around at the TV schedules n set those DVRs to see games of some interesting college prospects.

Game films are the best to evaluate a player or two. So its always good to educate ourselves as fans.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We don't have any big time college programs around us...I know you OSU guys don't want to here this but cause of kids when they were young n their love for X-men...they started following the Wolverines..

Huh?
The programs the Browns will be keying on is SEC ,especially Bama and Georgia since Lombardo likes Saban and his program .

E
Legend
Legend
E
Huh??? lol

Was talking about my kids establishing their favorite college team to follow n was on at my house every Sat. My kids are now 24 n 28 so we are talking YEARS AGO...lol

As for SEC, ABC, DEF....Football players come from all over. Just saying nice to see talk about prospects coming up so we can DVR them n look at the player. Don't care about conference just would like to see if they are the real deal or what. I wish to be educated in draft discussion. This past college season I didn't get to see much too many other things so I was pretty ignorant on most Prospects and had to rely on stats n Youtube stuff.

I prefer to look for myself n evaluate. Just to be a little educated. Just like back in Oct. 2011 I was sold on RG3 n hoping that he would be there for our Pick. Taping his games n loving him more n more...seeing him move up from 2nd round prospect to Mid round 1st to eventually out of our grasp man was a bummer!

But I enjoy taping games - I don't care if its BYU to get a glimpse at a prospect like Ziggy...or Alabama who we know will have 3 to 4 guys going in the first round probably. Its about educating ourselves...that's all.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Not 2014, but this future beast will be in the 2015 draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was talking about my kids establishing their favorite college team to follow

I'm trying to get my sons to do that.
My olderst likes OSU ..the youngest wants to root for whomever we are.
My 11month old likes basketball, she hasn't much football yet.But she will!

U ought to know I'm a college junkie, But I saw a Lombardi quote where he remarked if they could just draft Bama and Georgia players they're be all right.
The bulk of talent is in the SEC but there are plenty of other schools with some good talent.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Was talking about my kids establishing their favorite college team to follow

I'm trying to get my sons to do that.
My olderst likes OSU ..the youngest wants to root for whomever we are.
My 11month old likes basketball, she hasn't much football yet.But she will!

U ought to know I'm a college junkie, But I saw a Lombardi quote where he remarked if they could just draft Bama and Georgia players they're be all right.
The bulk of talent is in the SEC but there are plenty of other schools with some good talent.

No doubt, and he got one of the SEC schools wrong, but I am headed off on a tanget.

I was talking to someone the other day and sort of said the same thing. I said I'd pick maybe 30 schools, and only draft players from there.

Yep, you might miss a talent here or there, but if you are playing the odds, which I would, you are probably better off with a 2nd teamer at Georgia as an example over some starter at El Paso State.

It wouldn't be a set rule. Every once in a while some kid really stands out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'd take kids from Florida over Georgia

Unless they're a quarterback....

E
Legend
Legend
E
Many seem to like to quote Lombardi from when he was a talking head. Of course we had our first draft n passed up on the Georgia LB n the Alabama CB...lol

Peen that is a move made by a team without scouts - where you have to limit your search. For a guy who never had an allegiance to a football conference (my school had club football) I see college football as a minor leagues to the Pros - but unlike baseball we don't draft them at 18. Football is America's sport (not freaking soccer they are trying to shove down our throats) Every H.S in America has a star player whether he pursues the game whether he was found by the SEC recruits. Every HS has a player or two who if they pursue the game Progress - Grow - get better by leaps n bounds who were not pursued by the SEC. Heck I was 16 when I played Varsity Football as a Senior. I always hoped I would have that one last growth spurt n grow 6inches - not to be - But I would have pursued Football in college not baseball if I did so. I heard of many who after recruiting days Stud out.

If you would like to profile Players...might as go a step back and say I will only bring in players who played HS Football in Florida, Texas n California. Of course we all know that OHIO n PA play football too. Now with the migrating n end of some conferences I do see the SEC getting bigger n stronger with schools coming in...who knows what it will be in 10 years?

JMHThinking out loud.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Something ironic is that you'd think the SEC would produce the best of the best players in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers - PAC 10
Adrian Peterson - Big 12

Calvin Johnson - ACC
Larry Fitzgerald - Big East
AJ Green - SEC
Rob Gronkowski - PAC 10

Joe Thomas - Big 10
Jaheim Evans - Bloomsburg (no freaking clue)
Nick Mangold - Big 10
Carl Nicks - Big 10
Anthony Davis - Big East

Haloti Ngata - PAC 10
Vince Wilfork - ACC (or was it big east?)
JJ Watt - Big 10

Von Miller - Big 12 (when he was at A&M)
Patrick Willis - SEC
Luke Kuechley - ACC
Aldon Smith - Big 12 (when he was at Missouri)

Darrelle Revis - Big East
Earl Thomas - Big 12
Troy Polamalu - PAC 10
Richard Sherman - PAC 10

I think the best aspect of the SEC is coaches maximizing guys. However it usually means they have peaked before they play in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Actually, he said LSU and Alabama:

Quote:

"The SEC is a whole different animal," he says in the story. "If all we did was take guys from Alabama and LSU, we'd be (flipping) great."

And I think it's crap. Guys bust from those schools just as much as they do from any other.

*edit* yeah, just saw Candyman's post. They really don't translate to dominate the NFL.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/21/13 09:50 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I do think it's safe to say the CBs of the SEC do fairly well, at the very least, in the NFL.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was talking to someone the other day and sort of said the same thing. I said I'd pick maybe 30 schools, and only draft players from there.

I've said the same thing (though I think 30 may even be too many)... you may miss out on the occasional Demarcus Ware type but you would probably always be pretty darn good at most positions. The one exception I would make is QB, rare elite talent QBs tend to not follow the pattern and pop up all over the place.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I agree with DC. How many of the NFLs elite QBs came from a powerhouse school? Brady and Manning? Flacco, Eli, Matt, Aaron, Drew, Ben, Tony, Phillip and etc. didn't come from powerhouse schools.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree with DC. How many of the NFLs elite QBs came from a powerhouse school? Brady and Manning? Flacco, Eli, Matt, Aaron, Drew, Ben, Tony, Phillip and etc. didn't come from powerhouse schools.

One thing I know for certain - USC is golden when it comes to producing NFL Busts

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I was thinking of the curse of OJ??? but then I am thinking you meant QBs??? As there is Palo n Matthews n Cushing doing rather well.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
well, I did quote and reply to a post talking about QB's

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

This is an interesting idea. Someone should start a thread about this.

First off, we have to debate which colleges are "elite," such as USC, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, etc Then, we could discuss which universities are fairly well recognized, such as Purdue, Michigan State, South Carolina, Clemson, Maryland, etc. Then, we identify the lower tier colleges, such as Miami of Ohio, South Florida, New Mexico, Colorado State, etc.

Wonder what it will prove?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Never too early 2014 top prospects

Link Copied to Clipboard